[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lxsrikaafuv21.jpg (1.98 MB, 4032x3024)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
Will these make a comeback? Think about the used market now. Think about these weird mechanical keyboards and keysets. Obviously some models sell real low by people who don't know of the niche market, but these p/bvms, 16:9 sd sets, etc., etc., fetch absurd prices now given their age. What's stopping an entrepreneur from making new CRTs at a competitive pricepoint. Given how techs advanced the margins must be better.
>>
>warped image
looks like shit
>>
>>81045523
>Will these make a comeback?
not very likely, microled will pretty much obsolete any advantage a crt had outside of vector graphics
>>
for some reason people would rather spend 0$ on some emulator filters rather than buy a 100$ lightbulb that weighs more than their grandma.
>>
No. A mechanical keyboard can type anything, a thick, heavy CRT is immediately a burden and a niche thing
>>
>>81045523
>What's stopping an entrepreneur from making new CRTs at a competitive pricepoint.
Environmental regulations, the high cost of entry for minimal returns.
>>
>>81045523
you must be a zoomer. Only a zoomer would have nostalgia for shitty CRTs.
>>
File: 1617403977465.jpg (3.05 MB, 4000x3000)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
Thought about buying one to use in my laptop, but then I remember about the weight and the size and was a immediately turn off. And my mom wasn't very keen about it.
>>
>>81045523
As a person who will turn 40 in a few months I will tell you that I have zero fondness for CRTs, VHS/Betamax, Laserdisc, Vinyl LP, Ausio cassette, or Analog HIFI equipment. Modern shit is just better.
My first game console was an NES and my first PC was an Atari 800XL. Both look better on modern emulation.
>>
>>81045639
I also want to add that Doom 2016 is more fun and exciting than when I first installed and ran shareware Doom to on the 486DX.
>>
Uh, no. Two words, eye strain. Shit looks way better on today's displays (hell even on the first generation LCD's) than on CRTS and its better for your eyes.
>>
>>81045523
no, it's far more convenient to just make retro console games look better on modern TVs
>>
>>81045606
wait most zoomers mostly barely interacted with crts outside of maybe when they were infants.
>>
>>81045680
What if the CRT tech was improved? They just stopped being made when LCDs came along. There are probably new weight/feature innovations somewhere that could mitigate the traditional cons of crts like size and weight or eye strain.
>>
They still make new CRTs, you just can't buy them in the Best Buy.
>>
File: 1609034217892.jpg (17 KB, 255x211)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>81045619
>And my mom wasn't very keen about it.
>>
>>81045680
>Shit looks way better on today's displays
only static images though, motion clarity has been unacceptably poor quality on every tft display
that will be remedied only once microled is in the consumer space, it has not and will not be solved with traditional tft tech including oled
>>
>>81045639
>>81045671
Holy fucking shit, this. Ignoring your phone posting for a moment, I agree with you.
>>
File: 1608929213788.jpg (40 KB, 462x546)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>81045523
Looks awful. OLED is the ultimate pill, whether you like it or not.
>>
>>81045707
Exactly.
Anyone who actually used a CRT would know they're loud, always filthy due to being dust magnets, and give you a splitting headache due to the flickering. There's a reason they're dead tech and it's not >muh unfair environmental regulations.
>>
>>81045523
If I wanted my comeback I would kiss your mom. Fuck crts and fuck you.
>>
>>81045898
Well I still have a massive one from 20 years ago because it still works and would otherwise have been a waste of money. Although models like that one work incredibly well and aren't really torturous at all, unlike the cheapo sets.
>>
>>81045921
My gameboy still works but I still prefer newer games anon. My 386 still works but I prefer my Ryzen build. I want 4k. I want vr. Crts died for a reason.
>>
>>81045836
Yeah, I am a certified neet.
>>
>>81045562
CRTs were not cheap at all on their golden years.
>>
>>81045523
Ignoring the space requirements, the weight, the power consumption, the noise, and the fact that quality modern display technology is easily superior, CRTs STILL will never come back simply due to being massively unsafe technology compared to literally every alternative.
>>
>>81045936
I mean you're correct. Although I never play in 4k since I'm a cheapfag. CRTs only have niche non-consumer issues nowadays that are irrelevant.
>>
>>81045523
CRTS look great and it would be easy to gut those classic cases to fill with a modern display and NUC or other smol PC build for a classic AIO.
>>
>>81045523
with the sinden lightgun coming and even a few chink competitors for it now, and all the various crt filters you can use on rescalers and emulators and shit now, there's literally fucking no reason to own a crt ever again. thank fucking christ.
>>
>>81045523
No. Blame RoHS.
>>
File: lcdfagsbtfo.png (11 KB, 200x145)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
CRTs are good for two things. Motion clarity and latency.

But as it turns out, motion clarity and latency are among the most important things when it comes to a majority of video games.

Filterfags gb2 /vr/.
>>
>>81045523
Every time I look at a CRT, I fucking cry.
For the past year or so, my Dad and I was fixing my room, moving shit out of the way so we can work. One day he looks over my 2002 Trinitron and said, "Why you have that piece of junk in room? You don't even use it." A while back we did the floors in my room and we had to move a bunch of furniture and the T.V ended up on the floor. I kept putting off getting a new stand for the T.V but I had no money left over since it was going towards my college expenses. So, I just had the Trinitron sitting on the floor collecting dust with my PS2 hooked up.
I kept arguing with him how some of my old shit won't work on my monitor unless I spend money on an OSSC or a similar device, again spending money I don't have. He left at that for a while.
One day I went out with an elder, I'm currently a PIMO Jehovah Witness, to deliver some watchtowers and shit for a letter campaign happening at the time. When I came back home, it was raining hard and I had to dry myself off. Dad just finished working in my room and was cleaning some dust off the floor. My mom comes up to me and tells me that Dad move some stuff out of my room and put in the backyard. I didn't care, I needed to throw some shit anyway. Then she told me that he throw away my TV. I didn't believe her at first until she told me to look out on the backyard.
I see my T.V soaking wet, outside, laying on top of the concrete. I was so fucking pissed. I asked Dad why he threw away my TV and he said that I can't keep old junk in the house. This is the same guy who has a FUCKING STEREO SETUP in the basement collecting dust and mold.
Eventually he asked if I want it back inside. The TV was fucking damaged with all the rain and bringing inside was going to be a giant pain in the ass, I just said to leave the TV alone.
From that moment, every time I see someone with a CRT, I wish I could destroy their set just so they can feel my pain.
>>
>>81045745
>making CRTs for like 90yrs
Yeah pal we knew what we were doing. How they be, is as good as they get.
>>
>>81046038
>video games
Sir, this is /g/.
>>
>>81045523
>>>/vr/
>>
File: SED 01.gif (13 KB, 461x244)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
The thing that killed them outside of production costs was distribution costs.
A gdm-fw900 is 100lbs, 22.5x20x20, and contains glass on its face while being weight biased towards that face.

A modern monitor of the same screen size is 14lbs, 21x8.5x20 and has a plastic face which doesn't damage as easy, especially considering the available protective packaging, and weight bias on the base.

Not only are modern monitors cheaper to ship, they're less likely to be damaged in the process.

Now SED or laser displays...
>>
>>81045978
You can still buy them brand new today, newly manufactured too, not NOS. Dummy.
>>
>>81046072
That fucking sucks anon, but you always get a new one in the future some day, they are rare but not too rare so Im sure you will be able to find one soon
>>
>>81046072
Let it Go, nigga
>>
>>81046104
I can buy a lot of unsafe things newly manufactured. I don't see your point.
>>
>>81046072
You should attack him while he's sleeping, if you know what I mean?
>>
>>81046072
you have to be 18 years old to use this site
>>
LCDs have a lot of advantages but there is something cozy about a CRT tv and the colours look way nicer than an LCD and sort of glow off of the screen, compared to LCDs which are pretty soulless. I've been wasting a lot of my time playing snes, n64 and ps2 on one I picked up cheap over the summer, a 32" trinitron, and don't regret it. They do weigh a fuckton, that's the biggest drawback.
>>
>>81045523
What is the deal with zoomers jerking off to CRTs and dumb, shitty 90's technology?
>>
>>81046072
>From that moment, every time I see someone with a CRT, I wish I could destroy their set just so they can feel my pain.
Please reconsider. It's not good to harbor such a desire. You should wish that nobody ever has to feel as bad as you have at your worst. Do what you can to make the world better, not wish it be worse for anyone.

Besides, we can feel pain through empathy. And sympathize through similar experience as well.
I'm sorry it was that way and know how you feel.
>>
>>81045523
https://youtu.be/TVLVaoA-fic
Whenever someone asks if CRT manufacturing could come back, show them this. A million dollar factory, top of the line robotics, hundreds of employees all to make a product which is unequivocally inferior to today’s televison sold exclusively to a niche market of retro game enthusiasts. It will never happen again. All the CRTs there are are all there’ll ever be.
>>
>>81046174
How can you recognize that electronics have advanced in displays but ignore the fact there have been advances in electronic components and manufacturing.
You're acting like this cutting edge technology is still cutting edge, and that you must use the same production practices they did decades ago to make the same product.

It'd be easier and cheaper today.
>>
>>81046104
Those CRTs you find are using scavenged stock.
Once that's gone it's literally impossible to manufacture more; not just because the infrastructure no longer exists, but because CRTs were only viable to produce because of scale: you needed a massive production line of thousands of people where one guy was an expert in making one thing. The professional market (PVM/BVMs which sold by the thousands) was only kept afloat by the consumer market (150 TVL pieces of shit which was sold by the millions).
Moreover, making the parts used is now illegal because of toxic chemicals.

No kickstarter is going to fund your gigantic illegal underground CRT assembly line that employs more people than the mafia, I'm sorry.
>>
>>81046193
You'll eat your words when you see me raise 2 whole bitcoins on puntstopper.onion
>>
>>81046188
>It'd be easier and cheaper today.
Even still, the few thousand total sales from Redditoids and 4chan incels won't cover it.
You are making an inferior product for an extremely niche market.
Now 90's theme cases on the other hand? I could maybe see a return investment on tooling and producing those. Give them the 90's aesthetic with some modern amenities like good airflow and you could have something.
>>
>>81046231
I wonder the costs of something like these though >>81046101
or a similar CRT alternative. As long as it has the important properties and is cheaper than a CRT I could see it happen.
I think the only downsides of FED and SED where the fixed resolution but the word has accepted that one anyway. I could be wrong though, if someone knows additional disadvantages let me know.
But if all you care about is latency and color accuracy then I think its an option once the patents expire. If they haven't already.
>>
>>81046262
Anyone who cares about these things is just waiting for microLED instead. The SED dream has long been dead.
>>
>>81045639
boomers have notoriously shit taste when it comes to tech. worse than the japanese.
>>
>>81045671
oh my god, you're stupid
>>
>>81046144
>unsafe
lol so now you're going to FEAR MONGER CRTs somehow? desperation...

>>81046193
>Those CRTs you find are using scavenged stock.
Nope.
>>
>>81045639
CRT is very flickery after you get used to LCD, and the emulation filters can solve the "too blocky" issues while not ruining the picture as much as a regular TV.
You can literally adjust an emulator to look like one of those expensive as shit PVMs
>>
>>81045523
CRT is dead, can't make a profit without mass production. Too expensive.
>>
>>81046478
You've never seen a CRT in your life.
>>
>>81046598
i like in a third world country, it's still quite easy to see em, and they look flickery now.
They didn't before but now they are.
>>
>archaeotech is the next big thing!
Right. Let's roll back to tin 32-pin SIMMs, trackball mice and having to manually enter cylinder, heads, and sectors into the BIOS with each hard drive installation.

We can totally go back to dip switches, though. those are cool.
>>
>>81046729
We should have a storage media that feels as good as 3.5 inch disks to insert/remove the media.
>>
File: sony52.jpg (34 KB, 580x387)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I got really high one night with my gf at the time and we watched bambi, bugs life, antz, and a few other classic disney VHS on one of these huge boys. Very confy.
>>
>>81045523

TL;DR - No.

Keyboards are a lot easier to manufacture than CRTs, outside of very niche market no one really has any interest for CRTs.
>>
>>81046790
Isn't this a projection screen?
>>
>>81046843
might as well be the same thing, HAH fuck
>>
>>81046790
>my gf
Fucking normie get off my board.
>>
>>81046875
i know its hard to believe normal people browse chan
>>
>>81046764
>We should have a storage media that feels as good as 3.5 inch disks to insert/remove the media.
prototype sexbots returned to factory due to Windows XP "device connected" and "device disconnected" sounds continuously looped during use.
>>
>>81046072
>Jehovah's Witness
There is a very good reason Singapore banned that cult shit.
>>
>>81045532
your eyes have a warped image
orthogonal projection inherently is warped unless the fov is super small
you have a penis
>>
Once we get 480Hz black-frame insertion on OLEDs which already have instant pixel response times we can have CRT-like motion performance. 120Hz BFI is already good enough to match plasma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9n8Hz_RLqw&t=177s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdkiyYeod8&t=526s

To achieve a 4K 10-Bit Signal @ 480Hz will require 143.33 Gbps of bandwidth
HDM 2.1 is still only capable of 48.0 Gbps
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.1
Maybe in the next five years we will finally get there.
>>
File: 1616005731955.png (1.31 MB, 1280x1280)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB PNG
>>81046072
>Jehovah's Witness
https://youtube.com/watch?v=-Mr-Q1mRkUc
>>
>>81047114
>OLED is so dim that BFI is only tolerable at extremely high frame rates
lol
>>
>>81045639
only thing I like are VHS/LPs. Only reason I like VHS is the fact that the content hasn't been edited to make kikes/leftist happy. SAme reason laserdisc is good its high quality. After all the shit with star wars I really do think collecting VHS is probably a good idea.
>>
>>81047114
>480Hz black-frame insertion on OLEDs
Enjoy your phantom arrays on any lower framerate content.
>>
>>81047220
Typically this is true, but if for desktop usage where you are sitting within inches of the panel apparent brightness loss is diminished. 100 Nits of full-field viewing at that point is plenty. Now as far as HDR is concerned no, see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSm2v7bfVo

Also for OLED they've yet to introduce a high-efficiency deep-blue TADF emitters or top-emission pixel structure so there is still low-hanging fruit to significantly increase OLED's base brightness in the next few years. LG's already improved brightness by 20% on their C1/G1 models over the CX/GX models from last year (despite some early info that the new Evo panels on the G-series were going to be vastly different from the rest of the new lineup, early comparisons show improvements across the entire lineup which makes sense as why would LG bother with the production cost of producing two different panel lineups).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKq7XfrNY8U
>>
>>81045562
People on /g/ and reddit pay $250 USD for a 3 piece custom keycap "kit" for its colorway and another $90 USD for an artisan dildo novelty keycap
>>
>>81047291
>Enjoy your phantom arrays on any lower framerate content.
Elaborate. 480hz is a perfect integer multiple of both 24p & 60p content so no judder should occur and refreshing the panel with blanked frames to clear the persistence of our eyes many times inside the interval window between frame advances of the picture should result in crisp motion clarity on the level of CRTs without any of associated "comet trails" or other issues associated with the phosphor decay of a bright object on a dark background that can occur in conventional impulse-driven displays because of the instantaneous response of the OLED pixel's switching time.\
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/black-frame-insertion-vs-rolling-scan.3036988/
>>
>>81047334
>100 Nits of full-field viewing at that point is plenty.
Can OLED even hit 100 nits with <1ms persistence and 60p content.

>>81047445
If you're viewing 60p content and only display a frame for ~2ms (1 display frame, 7 inserted black frames), I suspect that would be prohibitively dark. Displaying a frame more than once is already standard for 24p content, but it doesn't matter that much since movies already have a metric fuckton of blur baked in.
>>
>>81045523
Haven't you been on /g/ for the past year? CRT has made a comeback amongst virgins, basement dwellers, and soiboys.
>>81046790
That's a rear projection TV.
>>
File: pursuit_2.jpg (137 KB, 900x425)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>81047500
>Can OLED even hit 100 nits with <1ms persistence and 60p content.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRUTqfB_Ts&t=288s
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_cx_oled.htm#mbr
>The OLED Motion Pro feature has settings for off, low, medium, high and auto. We measured the off/on pattern as shown above in each mode. As you increase the setting the "on" period is shortened which can help improve the motion clarity further, but does also impact the brightness of the screen. We measured the following maximum brightness levels in each mode (with OLED light setting at 100) - low setting 216 cd/m2, medium 148 cd/m2 and high 119 cd/m2. If the ABL feature kicks in then that will impact the brightness of the screen as well by another 50 cd/m2 or so.

>Even the high setting is likely to be sufficient for PC gaming and for many users we expect as it is still reasonably bright, and does provide the optimal motion clarity for this feature. The medium mode is a good middle ground too with only slightly reduced motion clarity. It's basically just a brighter version of the high mode in practice.
Current 120hz BFI-gen OLEDs can already achieve >100 nits full-field.

The chief of Blur Busters has studied OLED's behavior, which because of the instant pixel response going into and coming out of a full black frame, makes calculating a predicted total MPRT for a given refresh rate & BFI duty cycle elementary.
>60Hz BFI with OLED Motion High = 25%:75% ON:OFF = 4.2ms MPRT(100%) = 4 pixels of motionblur per 960 pixels/sec = similar to 240fps@240Hz nonstrobed LCD
More in-depth discussion here: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=7161#p54106

Again this is all with only with 60 & 120 Hz BFI-schemes right now, but it's already damn close.
Higher native refresh rates for lower BFI duty cycles (or using a rolling scanline refresh scheme) will require higher brightness penalties so they still need to add more native brightness to the nits budget to spend on motion performance.
>>
>>81046188
You people are the same people that tthink spacex is going to revolutionize space travel by 100x. The fundamental requirements of a CRT have gotten no cheaper than they were a decade ago, added to the fact that the talent for this no longer exists. CRT will never come back. There is no market for it, there is no infrastructure for it, and there is no longer a knowledgebase for it. It's done.
>>
>>81047269
4k77 and 4K83 are vastly superior to any home release of Star Wars. Shame about 4K80 i haven't been following
>>
>>81046790
only one of those is disney you cunt
>>
I wonder if it is possible to emulate CRTs with current or next gen display technology.
Basically have a controller that makes it look exactly like one.
>>
>>81046469
Apart from the CRTs used in aircraft displays, just about all new production is made from recycled tubes because the amount of labor that goes into making a new one is far more time consuming and expensive than flat panels.
>>
File: BBOLED-60hz-sony.png (246 KB, 1600x1200)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>81047931
>I wonder if it is possible to emulate CRTs with current or next gen display technology.
>Basically have a controller that makes it look exactly like one.
What do you mean by this? In terms of mimicking the aesthetic of older CRTs with their technical shortcomings (chromatic abberation, blurring, shadow mask scanlines, etc.) we already can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkL40SkFVUE

In terms of how CRTs behave as discussed in >>81047704 & >>81047114 it's technically possible to deliver an impulse drive-like display via sample-and-hold means if the frame is cleared and refreshed fast enough. It's even possible to create a scanning OLED "backlight" that has a constant black frame that only updates procedural horizontal slices of the image many times during the presentation interval without any adjacent halo'ing owning to their per-pixel emissive nature just like with CRTs.
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=3388
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTfvwOGu4EI
Compare to a CRT that uses an electron gun to excite the individual cathode phoshpor tubes of the screen grille to render a video's image frames line-by-line and from left-to-right at 380,000 FPS to deliver the illusion of movement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJU2drrtCM&t=104s
>>
File: mucho texto.png (548 KB, 954x720)
548 KB
548 KB PNG
>>81046072
nice blogpost faggot
>>
>>81045707
I'm a zoomer and my parents are cheap so we still have multiple CRT TVs.
>>
File: bfi_120_high.png (6 KB, 610x306)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>81047704
Thanks for autistically linking a bunch of shit for me to read.

>https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_cx_oled.htm#mbr
This shows a persistence of about 3ms or so for that 112 nit reading, and that's for 120Hz BFI. It doesn't even give graphs or nits for 60Hz BFI. It's nice that the option exists, at least, even if it's distractingly flickery by most people's standards (probably because it's not rolling scan).

3ms is pretty good, but even that's pretty strikingly different from CRT. I want to be able to see the little UFO dude's eyes.

It looks like OLED still has a way to go if it's going to get the persistence down. I don't really care who wins the race, OLED or microLED. I just want something that can finally replace my CRTs.
>>
>>81046598
I had to use CRT monitors in my uni, it was painful.
t. other anon
>>
File: QD_OLED_Layers.png (85 KB, 922x581)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>81048230
>This shows a persistence of about 3ms or so for that 112 nit reading, and that's for 120Hz BFI. It doesn't even give graphs or nits for 60Hz BFI. It's nice that the option exists, at least, even if it's distractingly flickery by most people's standards (probably because it's not rolling scan).
Well you can pretty much take the measured brightness of a 120hz BFI OLED and double it for 60hz BFI because you are literally cutting in half the amount of the time the OLED panel is spending displaying alternating black frames per second, effectively increasing the duty cycle of the "backlight" of full-field OLED emitters and effective brightness.

>It looks like OLED still has a way to go if it's going to get the persistence down. I don't really care who wins the race, OLED or microLED. I just want something that can finally replace my CRTs.
MicroLED is a fucking dead-end (resurrecting SED would be more feasible) because they can't get the pixels tiny enough cheaply enough to make displays smaller than 100" for ~$100,000+. This next hotness is instead QNED. Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnGZYHJ9pCg
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/qned-quantum-nanorod-emitting-diode.3179823/
Rumor is Samsung is doing an internal company survey in September on whether to pursue QD-OLED with a true RGB subpixel on the path to a nano-inorganic self-emitting tech like QNED or QDEL. Whatever is coming down the road will still be sample-and-hold in nature (the supposed benefits of these new technologies are just a lack of burn-in, moar brightness, better color purity/gamut) so the issue of needing to jack up the native refresh rates to support a lower duty cycle still apply.

I kinda wonder if someone could purchase some OLEDs and make a custom aftermarket backplane for them via crowdfunding that could drive the OLED stack at 480 Hz or greater to achieve a true >1ms MPRT like CRTs. Their native pixel response times could already support such a true refresh range.
>>
>>81048182
Record the analog signal for the display's frame time.
Then render it like a scan line. Simulate the decay the following frames.
Of course the display needs as many FPS as possible to not look like shit.
>>
>>81047819
I'm just talking about the censorship mostly the editing and additions to old movies is my issue. VHS will remain unedited as opposed to digital.
>>
File: ghfdjkgfd.png (6 KB, 665x385)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>81048556
>Well you can pretty much take the measured brightness of a 120hz BFI OLED and double it for 60hz BFI
Wut. Assuming it has the same 3ms persistence per frame, wouldn't the brightness be halved at 60Hz. And if the frame persistence is doubled to 6ms to be the same proportion of on/off as 120Hz BFI, wouldn't it be similar brightness but twice as blurry.

>https://www.avsforum.com/threads/qned-quantum-nanorod-emitting-diode.3179823/
This is full of interesting things. But it also reminds me that most consumers don't care about low persistence, and people seeking "bright" screens are doing so for watching movies in their living rooms while the sun is out. Is there even a reason for any manufacturer to cater to the low persistence crowd.

I wonder if anyone out there is experimenting with cheap, but bright, rolling scan backlights that are in sync with cheap LCDs panels sitting on top of them. A simple white laser projected through the back that draws a bright horizontal line, using mirrors and motors or something. I don't think I'd even care about shitty blacks from it bleeding through.
>>
>>81047269
That's more of a retarded rights holder problem than a technology problem.
But yes, with traditional media no one will ever be able to alter or remove your copy. In the modern era that is only assured for people who pirate their media.
>>
>>81045639
Everybody pining for the old hardware either never used it, or blocked all the bad parts from memory. Pretty much everything was an finnicky and unstable mess
>>
>>81047771
>You people are the same people that tthink spacex is going to revolutionize space travel by 100x
But they already have, unless you're talking about human space travel. Launching a satellite has never been this cheap.
>>
>>81048951
Just a quick search finds this, which is probably a much less retarded idea than a straight up laser:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?p=48251#p48251

MicroLED may be a meme, but this actually seems like a reasonable application for it.
>>
Not likely. Mechanical keyboards have an advantage. CRTs are a novelty more like those typewriter keyboards, but even less popular because of the unwieldy weight and depth compared to modern displays.

Only the most premium CRTs can still compete with microLED and OLED, your average consumer CRT is trash now.
>>
>>81045671
Doom 2016 is so fucking good
>>
No.
You need a giant factory that makes special glass.
>>
>>81046843
It has three 7inch RGB crts inside it
>>
America already has enough lead in their water, you don't need to build more CRTs to pollute it even further.
>>
i just have a 14" crt that sits next to my playstation in the closet 90% of the time, but every now and then i will bring it out to play some crash bandicoot.
i prefer the crt for older games as they don't look right on lcd screens.
>>
They're comfy.
>>
>>81045540
Because even Minecraft has a better CRT filter
>>
>>81045671
It grew on me. First impression was it's kinda sluggish but they got it right and I was biased against it (glorykills, videogamey item drops, climbing obstacles) and didn't believe anyone can make a good fps anymore. But it's really good.
>>
>>81045707
I live in a poor shithole of a country but CRTs are still common even in my house, but even in the US and other places I'm sure zoomers would have seen CRTs throughout much of their childhood.
>>
>>81047443
That's a minority of rich idiots that have too much money on their hands and does not represent the average consumer.
>>
>>81046038
motion clarity and contrast are important for movies/tv shows as well, which crts are good at
>>
>>81046079
they were being improved right up until they were replaced
don't kid yourself, they were replaced not because they were inferior at their job, nor at a point where they could not be improved further, but because newer technologies brought savings to manufacturers, lcds were cheaper to make, cheaper to ship, cheaper to store, etc
>>
Damn I never knew about SEDs until they were mentioned itt. Wtf bros why was this tech taken from us? Seems superior to LCDs in every way.
>>
File: ahw.jpg (280 KB, 600x967)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>81046072
>I'm currently a PIMO Jehovah Witness
Christ cries for you.
>>
Even if a high-tech brand-new one is made retards will still prefer the 20 year old one because of the
>old good new bad
mentality.
>>
>>81045619
Wallpaper?
>>
>>81045639
Based boomer
>>
>>81045537
>microled will pretty much obsolete any advantage a crt had outside of vector graphics
MicroLEDs are still sample-and-hold.
>>
>>81046080
And that's why most replies shit on CRTs.
>>
>>81046174
If anything seeing the work it goes to produce them makes them more desirable.
>>
>>81049047
They haven't, and you retarded for believing this.
>>
>>81047443
Those are also consiberably cheaper and easier to manufacture and ship than crts. I wouldn't be surprised if the crt would have to cost 5-10k to reach similar profit margins.
>>
>>81050356
LCDs were superior in a fair number of ways too not simply because they were cheaper on manufacturing and logistics. CRTs have few remaining advantages left and they only cater towards certain niches. These niches are not profitable enough to continue non-defense production even if they weren't barred due to recent environment regulations on ewaste.
>>
>>81050947
But they have. First practical reusable first stage rocket booster. And actually reusable, the space shuttle was reusable but not cost effective. SpaceX is already pricing several competitors out the market.
Don't understand why you can't criticize Musk without denying his company's achievements.
>>
>>81051119
They only made changes in production and deployment but in vehicles in themselves. They are just re-inventing what the major cold-war powers did in the 1950s and 1960s.
>>
>>81045523
> that curve
only if people aren't making trash like in pic related. jvc sucks cocks.
>>81045639
> laser disc
you would have been a toddler when laser disc was in its prime in any country - unless you live in asia. sit down and take your meds, you larping baboon.
>>
>>81045523
No, keyboard switches and turntables are a whole different story compared to CRT
>>
>>81051149
Wrong, he would have been a child into adolescence during Laserdisc's heyday in the videophile market (It is likely his folks were this).
Laserdiscs only died when DVDs started come into the fold. They provided all of the benefits in a much smaller form factor.
>>
>>81045639
^^^^
This

It is just zoomer and millennial hipsters who never got exposed to that shit when it was actually new and are trying to be "counter-culture" while being taken in by novelty factor.

Boomers and Generation X-fags who actually grew up with the shit don't really miss it.
>>
>>81048217
>complaining about text on a site designed for people to discuss with each other
retard
>>
>>81051119
Because I don't doubt they've done good things, but they have not revolutionized space travel, nor made it 100x or 10x cheaper. It's about 10-20% cheaper in the best of cases. Reusability is overrated, and so on. SpaceX struggles with thins NASA did in the 70s. I like that they exist, but I do not drink the kool aid.
>>
>>81045671
>I also want to add that Doom 2016 is more fun and exciting than when I first installed and ran shareware Doom to on the 486DX.

Maybe, but the original Doom is still played today, but Doom 2016 won't be played anymore at all in a few years.
>>
>>81047269
you should look into the “despecialized” editions of star wars. Find it on your favorite torrent site.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.