[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>go to college
>spend 3~5 years "chasing the dream"
>"the dream" is pic related for the rest of your life until you retire

how do we escape the 9/5 nightmare when "just build the next facebook bro" is not a realistic option?
>>
>>80346682
>>
>>80346682
Imagine deriving your life satisfaction from your work
>>
File: 1613679074803.jpg (397 KB, 788x1576)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>80346719
>work = unhappy time
>rest = happy time
Imagine working at something you don't enjoy.
you don't have imagine, right wagie ?
>>
>>80346682
Sabotage Capitalism from the inside by convincing even reactionaries and Conservatives to rage against "the establishment" "globalism" neoliberalism" without fully yet understanding what any of those things mean. By the time they figure out everything they hate is fueled vt the international Capitalist NWO our work will be done for us. The problem is we still have all these twits living in boxes trying to program "apps" like Adventure Capitalist as basically get rich quick schemes. It would further help to show the extent to which it's ruined tech and videogaming the same way it fuels mass immigration. They're already halfway to being Redpilled.
>>
>>80346754
or just, you know
unionize
>>
>>80346737
>Imagine working at something you don't enjoy
who said i don't enjoy coding? i was doing this as a hobby at 16. what i hate though is working full time as a developer.
>>
>>80346737
>you dont have imagine
Ah youre some kind of pooskin, enjoy your web dev and intestinal parasites
>>
>>80346682
i don't think of my job as a nightmare. i somewhat enjoy doing what i do. there are shit companies and there a good companies. if you don't like pic related look for another company. demand is there but you shouldn't expect to be paid 300k everywhere. that's just a meme that's pushed by socal bros to convince gullible idiots that it's a great career when they should probably learn a trade or something.
you don't have to start programming as a kid to make it but you'll probably hate yourself if you're not interested in tech. thing is most people who are interested in tech probably started programming/scripting/fucking around with computers as kids.
>>
>>80346682
Get enough money to retire early enough that it doesn't hurt as much
for most people this will not mean increasing their earnings or net value but instead accepting a more economically frugal retirement, because if they were capable of increasing their income they'd likely have already done it.
Take the woods cabin borderline destitution pill. "Escape" is not luxurious, unless it's the ford SUV.
>>
>>80346917
>if you don't like pic related look for another company
i try doing that, but the more i look, the more it seems like tech companies are all the same. they all have those damn open offices, ~le gatherings, ping-pong tables, "fellow kids" culture. i mean, i don't give a fuck about videogames or fast food, i just wanna do my work and go home.
>>
>>80346682

has covid not hit your location? Literally everyone in an office related job works from home now. If you're still in the office you either have a low tier job or live on the moon.

My suggestion, chase the dream a bit harder and get a better position.
>>
>>80346682
>"the dream" is pic related for the rest of your life
Are you for real bro? If you're working at Facebook you've already made it. You can make enough money in a few years with smart investments to retire before age 30 if that's what you want.
>>
> All those Aerons
Pretty nice ngl
>>
>>80347131
I bought one recently for working from home and honestly I think it's less comfortable than my no-name chinese Gaming Chair
>>
>>80346682
Two ways to escape the 9-5 nightmare as I see it:
figure out what you enjoy doing and do that as your 9-5 if ti's feasible

or keep your current job, save as much as you can from your income by minimizing your expenses, save just enough money to get a place to live that is YOURS and doesn't cost much to maintain and then do whatever you like.

That being said, don't fall for the "not working is sooo chill bro" meme. Keep yourself occupied, idle hands are devils play things.
>>
>>80347154
Thats what sitting on a chair for sex having people feels like.
Get used to it.
>>
>>80346682
>9to5 nightmare

Its not that bad actually.
>>
File: piglet6.png (323 KB, 576x566)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
>>80346754
DELETE THIS
>>
>>80346682
I don't think facebook, or really any of the top-tier tech co's is a nightmare. They've got insanely high pay and great perks. Have you never been to an on-site interview at a tech giant? They have pretty good free food
>>
>>80347233
Thats why workers last on average a year there. And the pay is only for the retarded cost of living lmao enjoy your cuck pod
>>
>>80347059
Well, nowadays, everything is remote. So, I wouldn't worry about that for at least another year. And then, you can job hop.
>>
>graduate cs
>get tech job with mediocre pay
>work from home because covid
>work a total of like 2 hours per day

Is this the so-called "making it"? I mean its nice but kind of bland. Not making enough to afford anything luxurious but its honestly easier to just burn through life this way than to strive for something better. Feel like I'm becoming complicit with mediocrity.
>>
I wish I had people to work with. I've been working from home for over a year now. I can't remember what my coworkers look like anymore
>>
>>80346682
I went to college and now I'm getting paid to wait for an electrician to wire a 30A circuit so I can configure an access stack. Shit's nice.
>>
>>80347250
Well yeah if you wanna live in the SF bay you're an idiot, but they all have offices around the country where CoL is lower but pay rates are the same.
>>
>>80347154
>>80347195
I bought my own aeron. The thing I most regret is the front portion right under your thighs. Fucking plastic digs a little into your legs.
>>
>>80347267
same ... :(
It's rough. At least I'm employed I guess.
>>
>>80346682
Pre-covid:
>get gud after a few years then go consulting the make bank doing jack shit
>>
>>80347253
what's your salary/wage
>>
>>80346682
The current dream is to develop something valuable and sell it to the megacorps for a couple of millions of dollars.
>>
>>80347253

my bf's doing about 1-2 hours a day for the past year now

I did nothing for about 3 months at the start of this all

No one is working much anywhere
>>
>>80347338
$50k
>>
>>80347385
assuming $1300 rent and 40k after taxes and $1000 for all other expenses per month that is over $12,000 left over every year. You can totally buy luxury crap
>>
>>80347446
Most of that extra money is going straight towards student loans but after a few more years of this then yeah, it will be nice to have an extra couple hundred in my pocket every month. For now I'm just drifting through life.
>>
>>80346682
That's the westernfag dream.The Balkanfag dream is to work your way up to a powerful position to steal as much money as possible and run away to Switzerland.
>>
>>80347598
>student loans
hahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahhahaa
>>
>>80347598
you can get a college education in Europe for 5000$ you know
>>
>>80347281
Not true. You get a much lower salary out of the bay area, they only pay high because of ridiculous cost of living. And anyone here saying they get more than 120k as a software engineer and living in a low cost area is a teenage larper
>>
>>80346682
what a waste of vertical space
>>
>>80346682
dude you dont retire there lol, you sit in that shithole building stuff till either you get sold to another company or the owners get caught with their pants down and they go belly up.

Most of the time theyll let you go just so they can grab 10 interns to poorly implement features. then youll go back into the ever expanding pool of developers who all got sold on the "be a coder" meme. or you can come over to the east coast where its basically the same except far more sparse and youll probably end up working on some piece of proprietary software your entire life.
>>
>>80346682
I did engineering in college and now i make 160k as a software engineer. Wish I did math honestly... what a waste of time college was.
>>
>>80346682
>work in a lab
>shoot the shit all day with mates while waiting for syntheses and chromatograms
>>
>>80347732
current situation means lots of people are making bay salaries but living wherever the fuck they want

>>80347643
becoming a government worker can help you fulfill your dreams of embezzlement in america as well

>>80347903
i'm thinking about trying to do postbac or grad school to be able to work on things that matter more to me. would be sacrificing a ton of money to do science though
>>
File: 1614102986222.jpg (212 KB, 1500x1100)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>80347726
>tfw we get 12 free semesters here
>did bsc in 7, msc in 4
>>
>>80348072
>tfw want to do msc
>would literally cost $80000
>probably won't get funding
>employer won't pay for it either
>>
>>80346682
It isn't possible to escape it fully, though it is possible to improve your situation.

Get social, talk to your coworkers and try to make things better. Even small organizing like social outings, lunch to discuss issues, etc. will make work more bearable.

In the long run, unionization is going to be essential. Your boss has a direct interest in ensuring the continuation of everything that makes work suck, so you need to rely on you and your coworkers' strength to get anywhere.
>>
>>80346682
5 years isn't a lot of time.
>>
>>80347385
Jesus man I made 175k last year, and I'm a straight up hack. I can't believe employers get away with this nonsense.
>>
>>80348136
>$80000
If you have that much money already,there's no point in going to college.My paycheck is 600 euros a month so I'd have to eat dirt for years to afford that.
>>
>>80346682
>how do we escape the 9/5 nightmare when "just build the next facebook bro" is not a realistic option?
The short answer is "don't work for a shitty start up."
>>
>>80348221
all about where you work, not what you do. the most realistic way i can maximize my money is also the path that makes me contribute the least to society
>>
>>80348266
>If you have that much money already,
most americans take out loans to go to school

>there's no point in going to college
money is a basic need. once you have it, many people start wanting to do shit besides only caring about money
>>
File: 1600290374453.png (109 KB, 161x429)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>80348136
>tfw can do msc for 80k
>tfw the currency is 20 : $1
>>
>>80348286
>most americans take out loans to go to school
I would rather use the 80000 to buy two flats and rent those out.
>>
>>80346682
>go to college
>studied photoshop and video editing myself because requirements
>internship did jack shit
Currently studying programing, wish I did this earlier. Now I am an unemployable piece of shit aside from entry level jobs. College just wasted my time desu
>>
File: fuck.jpg (28 KB, 352x389)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
I studied CS because I genuinely enjoy hacking stuff together, I loved to learn about how all this stuff comes together, I could write a compiler, linker, operating system, window system given enough time.

But I don't have enough time. Because my stupid idealism was the core fucking problem, the denial that in the end I have to work a job and that the only job worth doing will be the one with my degree which means programming to make rich fucks even richer while I spend all days dealing with machines and autistic manchild colleagues.

Work from home made it better but fuck, just make it fucking stop fuck.
>>
>>80348289
i really would only go to grad school if i got money to go and it was a top 20 uni for HPC

>>80348304
property costs way more than 80k here
>>
>>80346682
do people really think that looking up and seeing the building's insulation looks good? it looks like they decided not to finish the ceiling instead
>>
>>80346682
>how do I get to do whatever I want?
become your own boss
>without going through the effort of providing value to anyone in a way that people would pay for it?
inheritance, sheer luck, or pray for an afterlife of your choosing and suckstart a shotgun

nobody owes you anything faggot
>>
I'm living in Germay and while you get cool work life balance, the system essentially expects you to work your whole life. Even as as software engineer you basically can't afford to buy property as a single. The salaries are bad and the taxes crazy.

Seriously considering moving to southern or eastern Europe while working for a western European company to cut down the cost.
>>
If you work at FAGMAN you've already made it, just don't spend out the ass and you can retire in 10-15 years
>>
>>80346966
I get that it's just a play on words but ford escapes are not luxurious.
>>80347253
Read "the subtle art of not giving a fck" Not everyone needs to be a rocket surgeon.
>>
>>80347253
Make sure you actually learn stuff so if you want to change jobs you are not shit out of luck. Otherwise that's totally based.
>>
>>80346682
>>"the dream" is pic related for the rest of your life until you retire
lol not anymore. Employers now have an excuse to redirect facilities costs onto employees and reduce wages at the same time.
>>
>>80348471
>become your own boss
because there's totally no barriers of entry there
>>
>9/5 nightmare
it's fine for me, you've got 5/1 free
>>
>>80346682
>how do we escape
Found your own startup.
>>
File: basedbee.jpg (121 KB, 1280x800)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
Nice
>>
>>80346682
Joining a small business in a niche market. Imagine thinking the dream is working in a fucking office.
>>
>>80348742
Fuck small businesses. The owners are always entitled children and there's never enough resources to do anything right.
>>
File: 40d[1].jpg (75 KB, 680x560)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>80348411
>I loved to learn about how all this stuff comes together, I could write a compiler, linker, operating system, window system given enough time.
I feel you man. I feel super idealistic as you. I just want to live in a warm cabin with a computer and write comfy native software. But, I know that it won't mean anything and no one will pay for them.

Sometimes I wish for a nuclear winter where there are barely any computers left and everything must start from scratch. I dream of making a command line spreadsheet software for us villagers to keep track of citizens, food supplies, project how much food we must farm, basic record keeping, a calendar to keep track of time, etc.

It will never happen. Ever. Just let it go.

When you retire, you will feel like you should do that stuff. Don't. Just travel the world, eat food, and experience things. You will forget about computers hopefully.

Return to monke.
>>
>>80346754
You think this would be any better under your commie utopia. Lmao. You think workers were ina better position in the fucking soviet union than in the west? is that why a lot of germans and soviets fled to the west?
>>
>>80348764
based nuclear winter computer programmer
>>
>>80348672
>because there's totally no barriers of entry there
1) grab a computer
2) write useful software
>waaah waaah I don't have anything to eat or where
then suffer through the 9/5 and save up/do your work on the side, or go live with your parents

again, nobody owes you anything fag
you come to this earth with nothing but what your parents are willing to give you same as everyone else, therefore, why should anyone else give you anything you haven't earned?
>>
>>80346682
I liked working in the office. I had a nice desk up against a big window on a high floor overlooking a lake, rarely had to talk to people in person and I could wear noise cancelling headphones at any time to ignore people, and the latency to network resources was low. Now I work from home and I'm fucking sick of it.
>>
>>80348485
>The salaries are bad
No. The salaries are one of the best in the world.
You realize that just because of the fact that you were born in Germany, that automatically puts you in the top 1%, right?
>>
>>80348786
Want to know how I know you aren't 'your own boss' and are actually unemployed and living with your parents?
>>
File: dreamjob.jpg (295 KB, 1000x667)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
9 to 5? Wait until you discover that the work is moving forward only when you do overtime.
My plan to escape is make a successful indie game like minecraft.
>>
>>80348888
I have so many ideas and personal projects, but i never find the fucking time to do anything. I just get home and just eat and take a nap, i feel so tired
>>
>>80346737
I unironically loved my job until we got a new director and he hired a bunch of retards for the next line of supervisors below him. Since then everything has been hot shit. Been trying to get him fired/transferred since he got here but apparently breaking federal laws doesn't fucking matter.
>>
>>80348898
I know, but there's some time on the weekend and after work after taking a walk it sort of resets your energy levels to some degree.
>>
>>80348916
Yeah. I wish i was a NEET though. No human deserves half of their time awake to be taken away to make profits for some big ass company. We dont live fucking forever.
Hopefully we will make it and escape wagecuckery hell
>>
>>80348411
>I could write a compiler, linker, operating system, window system given enough time.
i just feel behind the curve. i learn enough from my job that i realize i probably need to actually put myself in an environment that pushes me

>>80348518
as a current fagman it's not even about the money anymore. it's more about actually being able to work on the shit i want to work on, which my job offers very little of

>>80348898
>>80348916
living every day feeling like my free time is limited burned me the fuck out. my goal is to make my full time endeavor what i care about instead of distracting me
>>
>>80348978
>my goal is to make my full time endeavor what i care about instead of distracting me
Only very few in the world achieve job that is also their personal goal.
Usually, a job is just a job.
>>
>>80346682
20 million young men died for this 80 years ago
>>
>>80346682
idk I much prefer even this horrible office to selling my health working at a construction company
>>
>>80349005
i'm in the position where i could potentially make it happen, just a matter of how much risk i want to take and how fast i want to get it done
>>
>>80349017
What you say is interesting, will you add some details?
Is it comp sec related? If yes, then I can sort of guess what's up.
>>
File: ErD36B7XUAANjHQ.jpg (60 KB, 828x810)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>80348764
I feel this anon
>go to expensive uni known for STEM in big city
>realize I'm just putting myself into debt forcing me to grind a career I don't care about
>internship is high paying but just doing boring analyst work for a massive corperation
>realize this is no life
>would rather tend a farm
>drop out
>enroll at small liberal arts school
>learn CS in the rural mountains of the U.S.
>curriculum is the same as it was in 2002 with only necessary changes implemented
>professors make us all use linux and open source software
>tfw actually going to miss college when I gradute
My plan is to graduate and find some comfy remote job where I can live at home for a year or two and use that money to pay off my loans. After that I want to move out to the mountains or pacific northwest and start a garden. Then I want to just travel around and/or start family.

I've done 3 tech related internships and did half of an IT degree and am about to complete a CS degree. The only thing I've learned through this is that humans aren't meant to be living like this. I've met too many neutered men who just sit at their desks all day, you can see they've lost passion for life by the look in their eyes.

It's sad. I plan to return to monke and leave this world behind.
>>
>>80349063
nothing special. i just want to be HPCfag
>>
>>80346754
You need to be 18 years old or above to use this website
>>
>>80349177
>The only thing I've learned through this is that humans aren't meant to be living like this. I've met too many neutered men who just sit at their desks all day, you can see they've lost passion for life by the look in their eyes.
Holy shit do you see that often. Most people cope with family but I know no woman will ever love me, so that's not for me.
>>
>>80348786
How do you where something?
>again, nobody owes you anything fag
I pay taxes that just get sent to billionaires in the form of corporate bailouts and forever war. Why don't I get anything out of it?
>you come to this earth with nothing but what your parents are willing to give you same as everyone else, therefore, why should anyone else give you anything you haven't earned?
Yes. Good. If you stock those shelves and jockey that cash register hard enough, you'll be a billionaire too. Don't forget to vote for these politicians. When you're rich you'll want low taxes too.
>>
>>80349177
good for you mate. Glad people are using the system and going out of it.
>>
>>80349240
>I know no woman will ever love me, so that's not for me.
I think someone will, but it's so difficult to find someone in this modern age that I stopped trying and just focus on myself. I haven't needed a women since the day I was born (besides my mom), so I am not sure why I need one now.
>>
>>80349182
Is OpenMP+MPI still the shit, or is there some contender finally for it's crown?
>>
>>80346682
that office looks pretty cool desu
>>
>>80349511
That has to be the nicest cabling job I've ever seen at a start up
>>
>>80349496
afaik it's still the standard. cuda is huge in the field as well now.
maybe even fpgas but that's in the far future
i'm not very well versed in it, my best bet to get in is to somehow get compiler and cuda experience so i can make code go haha gpu go brrrrr
>>
>>80349679
So OpenCL didn't make it, so it seems.
CUDA is cool, but algos require to be adapted to the architecture.
Best seen with simple linear algebra ops like matrix times vector multiplication or dot product.
I'm curious if OneAPI from Intel will be like OpenCL or will it actually be adapted.

I also wanted to get into HPC, but there was no one who could be my supervisor at uni for this.
Good luck man.
>>
>>80346682
>"the dream" is pic related for the rest of your life until you die
FTFY, spoiled brat m*llenials and z**mers don't get to "retire"
>>
>>80346682
>Until you retire
Don't you mean being forced out in your 30s if you can't climb into a management position and forced to retrain as a trade or work for some tiny insignificant company that isn't hiring prepubescents?
>>
>>80349738
Retirement sounds boring anyway. I'm supposed to just sit around the house with my wife?
>>
>>80349722
>So OpenCL didn't make it, so it seems.
cuda just outperforms it and has better library support from like everywhere

>CUDA is cool, but algos require to be adapted to the architecture.
well yeah but it has enough speedup that it looks promising. also there's a lot of interesting hardware advancements happening now

>I also wanted to get into HPC, but there was no one who could be my supervisor at uni for this.
yeah i already graduated so it's a lot harder for me. unless amd or nvidia ever call me back and hire me, i probably have to actually go back to uni, take some classes and network to get in. giving up a fagman career for "meaningful work" is a pretty daunting prospect

>>80349751
right now you get forced out in your 40s. there's plenty of 30 year old SWEs
>>
>>80349807
I'm going to spend all my time playing gachage.
>>
File: office-space.jpg (401 KB, 2179x1400)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>80349240
It's not over for you anon, I was on my way down that path too, that's how I met those people.

You can change this, cubical dwellers live that way because they allow it. Many of them got their job at the mega corporation, got good pay, and never left. My boss had been there for 25 years, it was the only place he'd ever worked. He and others can leave any time they please, but they won't because it enables them to keep consuming.

They flex their salary/position as if it means anything. They want to justify the selling of their soul and get mad when someone challenges it. The concept that they could've been a laborer or pursued their passion with only marginal differences in pay throws them into a crisis so they put up mental barriers to not think about it.

My advice is to leave, figure out your plan after if you don't have one yet.

You have one life man, don't waste it. People used to fight each other on horseback and die at 20 years old. You should at least have the balls to quit a bullshit job, it's somewhere in your genes you just have to find it.
>>
>>80349511
Looks like a nightmare to me. I dont like being watched
>>
>>80346682
Most people from a first world country are in the same boat anon. A small amount of people are actually passionate about their job. I'm just "meh" about most of my work. Don't particularly enjoy it but then again don't dislike it. It could be a lot worse. It's all part of being an adult. Life is all about balance. You take the "good" with the "bad". Also the "good" would have no meaning without the "bad" to give perspective. But in general we are very lucky to be in the position to complain about our job/career. I can tell you come from a first world country.
>>
>>80348879
You don't, actually. I'm making comfy bucks doing webshit.
>>80349258
>How do you where something?
call 911 you're having a stroke
>I pay taxes that just get sent to billionaires in the form of corporate bailouts and forever war. Why don't I get anything out of it?
>Yes. Good. If you stock those shelves and jockey that cash register hard enough, you'll be a billionaire too. Don't forget to vote for these politicians. When you're rich you'll want low taxes too.
So you want low taxes. I want low taxes. Glad we agree about that. We weren't talking about taxes but good to know.
>>
>>80349751
Being forced out in your 30s shouldn't be a problem because you can retire in your 20s.
>>
I HATE YOU ALL SOMEONE PLS GET ME A JOB OR I WILL KMS MYSELF
>>
>>80350691
if you haven't applied to amazon yet come here
it sucks but it's six figures and not the worst place to work

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.