[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
Hi /g/
I recently finished this twice
http://introtopython.org/

And I was wondering where should I go next? Am I ready for a job?
>>
>>80345709
You are now eligible to be a janny.
>>
>>80345709
I'm sure you will like rust.
>>
>>80345709
Post more felipe.
>>
>>80345713
I don’t want to be a janny

>>80345739
I don’t want to be a tranny
>>
>>80345709
Now it is time to actually start learning useful things aka now write your own projects without following a tutorial. It will be hard at first but you will truly start learning from now onwards. Your implementations will be shit but you will better with time.
>>
>she posted it again
Give it six months and every thread on /g/ will start with transgirls lol

And you will all love it :3
>>
>>80345709
learn flask, django, numpy, pandas and pray to get get a shitty job using it, work for 2 years in there, make a nice linkedin profile, make friends with the smarter in that shitty job and try to convince that you ar good enough to work with them when they change their job and get a job fixing ads for google
that is what I did
>>
>>80345709
You need to go to school OP, self taught programmers never make it past $16 an hour in the Industry. Or they end up like pic rel

>>80345755
Kys

>>80345760
My professor says that programmers like that are called Christopher Columbus’ and they always burn out. Compsci is a field that requires guidance. You can’t just do things on your own.
>>
>>80345709
me on the left outside of the picture trying to sniff
>>
>>80345827
>My professor says that programmers like that are called Christopher Columbus’ and they always burn out. Compsci is a field that requires guidance. You can’t just do things on your own
Are you retarded? When you get a job, will you also ask for handholding? The only guidance you need is the docs and manpages. How will you ever learn if you never write code on your own? No wonder there's so much shit going on if this is the crap that gets teached in college nowadays. It only breeds programmers who fear writing code.
>>
>>80345709
>Am I ready for a job?
No way. You'd have to have extensive knowledge of various python libraries to have a chance at getting a job.
>>
>>80345827
>You need to go to school OP, self taught programmers never make it past $16 an hour in the Industry

I did and even at my first job as a webshit I was making more than $16 an hour.

>My professor says that programmers like that are called Christopher Columbus’ and they always burn out. Compsci is a field that requires guidance. You can’t just do things on your own.

>You can’t just do things on your own.

You are either very naive or this is prime bait.
>>
>>80345898
After one has been in school for 4 years they should be able to go out on their own if they want to. However my prof told us the Industry mostly has pair programming so you’re never really going it alone. Have you ever worked a programming/software job before?
>>
File: IGODIMGONNAugh.jpg (96 KB, 900x900)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>80345709
>I recently finished this twice
>http://introtopython.org/

>Am I ready for a job?

You'd have to be a complete stupid fuck to believe that an "intro to x" is good enough for a job.
>>
>>80345933
>However my prof told us the Industry mostly has pair programming so you’re never really going it alone.

You're in for a shock.
>>
>>80345960
https://betanews.com/2019/05/07/state-of-agile-report/

>The report shows 97 percent of organizations now practicing agile development methods.
>>
>>80345922
Your experience isn’t universal. Look at the dropout rates for Compsci. Too many people have big lofty goals and dreams and they get burnt/wrecked trying to tackle them head on. I’ve literally seen my class lose 3/4 of it’s students due to them trying to their own projects and not sticking to the curriculum. When you become a computer scientist then you can act like your guido or gaben but until then you need to follow the yellow brick road.
>>
So what should I do now? Is there other stuff I have to learn? Surely there must be some things I’m lacking that isn’t functions, lists, classes, tuples, if/else chains and for/while loops
>>
>>80345709
Build a file and directory watchdog, it's a great first project. You'll learn about threading and event handler patterns. Don't forget to use classes.
>>
>>80346134
How do I do that?
>>
File: why_god_why.jpg (99 KB, 885x885)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>80346145
>How do I do a project that I'm supposed to figure out how to do

Who knows, man.
>>
>>80345758
>I don’t want to be a tranny
>Post tranny images
K
>>
>>80345980
Take a look at the survey that article is referencing dude.
>Pair programming: 34%

34% is nowhere near "mostly has pair programming". That's from the 13th Annual State of Agile report. The 14th Annual State of Agile report has pair programming at 31%. You can go into detail about whether or not the data within this report represents the industry although so far, given what you've shown me so far 34% is nowhere close to "mostly".

>>80346066
My experience isn't universal and your professor's advice isn't infallible.

>My professor says that programmers like that are called Christopher Columbus’ and they always burn out. Compsci is a field that requires guidance. You can’t just do things on your own.

Is mostly not true. It does depend on what you mean by "guidance" however.
>>
>>80346230
Sorry, so I’m allowed to just look things up? I thought you guys do this from scratch and off the top of your heads only using resources for syntax. I mean yeah obviously I could just look up what you’re talking about and then learn and do it. But surely I can’t just do that at a job site? Won’t I get in trouble? I heard in Germany they give you a booklet with all the syntax and api’s and other little things and the internet is disabled. I’m in America so surely it’s gotta be similar right?
>>
>>80345934
depends on the employer, really.
>>
>>80345709
>twice
???
>>
>>80345933
>the Industry mostly has pair programming
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

If you're lucky you have a senior dev who adds useful comments on your pull requests.
That said, there are a couple of books that absolutely help getting started in the industry.
Code Complete 2 is the one I usually recommend. There are a few others.

Keep reviewing your own code, improve naming and structure to make sure stuff is as straight-forward and self-explaining as possible.
Favor expressive code over comments, add comments where there are dependencies that cannot easily be expressed as code.
Don't take Uncle Bob too serious.
>>
>>80345827
ahahaha most of this shit is easy as fuck, if you struggle to self study most comp sci stuff you should consider switching to something else.
>>
>>80345898
>teached
An obvious college grad yourself, eh?
>>
>>80345934
No no, he finished it twice. That's practically the same as ten years experience.
>>
>>80345709
http://learnyouahaskell.com/
>>
>>80347957
not sure, been wondering that myself. maybe check sayuri’s twitter and see if she posted that photo and tagged her
>>
>>80346386
Probably not at all, I always knew I was a faggot.
>>
>>80346290
You're being retarded. Try to build something, when you get stuck, try something different or look up how to get unstuck. If you only do what you already know you'll never learn anything
>>
>>80346134
>import watchdog
Well that was easy
>>
>>80348504
This, Python is literally a child’s game
>>
>>80349329
and that's what makes it great.
>>
>>80346790
You might be in for a shock but English is not the first language everywhere.
>>
>>80350942
>bragging about being a non American
>>
>>80350188
No way
>>
Fook u mods
>>
>>80354012
lol faggot

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.