[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tron1.jpg (160 KB, 1600x732)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Why did cubicles get so much hate in the 90's? Office set-up from the 80's and 90's seem far superior to modern open offices. People traded stable but boring jobs for gig economies and no privacy.
>>
>>79696360
As somone who was lucky enough to work in the Texas tech sector in the late 1980s to late 1990s, I can confirm that the industry has never been comfier since.
>>
>>79696387
ok boomer
>>
>>79696549
Actually Gen X but I can tell you stories about what life was like before sjw's, poos, and the money... oh god the money!
>>
>>79696360
I imagine companies went overboard with optimizing office space and cramped as many people in a small area as possible.
>>
File: enjoy_the_drink.png (210 KB, 600x532)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>79696360
Of course, you're right
>>
>>79696360
Extraverts found them isolating. They also tend to be more cramped than the superior group focused pods or the old startup folding tables in a dark basement. It's also counterproductive to productivity in about half the use cases.

>>79696568
Go on...
>office_space.bmp
>>
>>79696666
Liar
>>
>>79696666
Checked
I will just say that $150k went a lot further in Austin in 1996. And that as I made my way through many offices and it was 99% white and male. It was the best time of my life.
>>
Cubicles were the idea of 'everyone gets their own office', but they don't really.
>>
>>79696666
I find open offices distracting, if I want my coworkers attention I can call or message him. I love working from home and fuck boomers who want to sit in zoom conferences with each other.
>>
>>79696360
Cubicles were originally supposed to be effectively a means of putting in non-structural modular office rooms and they were beefier with the walls not up to standing height level. It was basically a waist high wall around your workspace so you could organize your shit. Going full wall-box probably hurt opinion of them because humans are social creatures and spending 16 of your 24 daily hours asleep and staring at the wall doing work is demoralizing. I think open office spaces go too far the other way, though; ideally rib-high walls that you can just lift up and speak out of.
>>
>>79696360
Because back then, people were still used to the far superior traditional layouts where more people had their own offices with doors. Cubicles were seen as insulting to the privacy and autonomy of professional class workers. Little did we know how bad things would get. The open office layouts of today are pure dystopia.
>>
>>79696899
Only good answer in the entire thread. Zoomers will be the death of us all.
>>
>>79696360
a biggest horde of women entered the workforce at the end of the 80s and beginning of the 90s.

Now you know the answer.
>>
>>79696627
Did they put the window there so people would feel the pressure of having some asshole looking over their shoulder 24/7?
>>
Office world is just unproductive make-work for employment empires and management careers. It would be nice if everyone could have their own office to mess around in, browse the internet, do personal stuff, etc, without feeling like someone is peeking over your shoulder. Much more comfortable than today. I wish everyone would just give up and accept that office work is what it is and stop trying to drive productivity from it. If they must have pajeet farms, plop them down in a business park or something in a production line sort of environment. Leve the white men to relax and have a good day.
>>
>>79697731
So Corona is a two-edged sword. Work from home finally gave back the white collar worker his privacy....but. Without huge office complexes will there be less management layers in turn demanding employment empires? Are we going to end up loosing the comfy make-work office job?
>>
>>79696627

The open office plan is exactly that though...optimizing space usage and material costs under the lie of improving collaboration. Need to cram more drones in? Just add more chairs to the table and force everyone else to deal with it. What are Mooktesh, Sai, Darsh, Satvik, Parth, Sarthak, and Tejas going to do, complain? Not bloody likely. We're going to cycle them out in 6 months for the next round of cheap labor anyway.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.