[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: codingSuperpower.jpg (86 KB, 638x493)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Is it just me or does the term "coding" irk you? I get that its not wrong but it just annoys me. My nephew is getting into programming and shit and he was telling me all about it and im proud of him and shit even though he uses almost 100% proprietary software and he kept calling it coding and i corrected him at the end and i told him in the grown up world we call it programming and he said some shit like oh yeah thats what peole used to call it back in the day. im glad he's actually learning python and is making stuff instead of scratch shit but how he uses the word "coding" annoys me. Am I the old and out of touch one or is the term coding annoying to you too?
>>
I call myself a "scriptkiddie"
>>
ur moms coding my cock right now fag

get rekt

I use Arch btw
>>
>>79695811
Coding shouldn't be a word but it is now because enough retards used it. This is why all spoken languages are complete shitshows.
>>
The term by itself is harmless and sufficient, problem is when its co-opted into shitty journalism and it becomes a worthless buzzword. Many such cases.
>>
>>79695811
Coding is what you do in your spare time as a hobby, programming is what you do as a profession
>>
>>79695811
yeah i hate it too but in the last decade it became the de facto way to refer to programming, not just by hobbyists and kids but by the big corps that employ programmers. i suppose it really doesn't matter so i try not to let it bother me.
>>
>>79696012
Both are the same, sweetheart.
>>
There is a difference between coding and programming though.
You need maths for programming, you need reasoning, logic and planning.
All you need for coding is fingers and a keyboard
>>
>>79695811
>coding
>1. The act of writing code
>2. The act of encrypting or transforming information

>programming
>1. The code of a program
>2. A career for brainlets with no other redeemable skills
>3. The action or process of scheduling something (eg TV programming)
>3 ii. Optimization (eg nonlinear programming)
>>
>>79695811
You're an asshat.
I bet you're also the kind of retard who gives a shit about tabs/commas, opening bracket position and vim/emacs.
>>
File: FAG.png (12 KB, 584x219)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
CSS frontend webdesign fags like the word Coding because it includes CSS and Html which are NOT programming languages.
>>
how does this have any effect on you. I know what you mean, I stay away from the baseddev culture revolving around the "relatable" pages. But that's all I do, because that's normalfags for you
>>
>>79695811
Agreed, people who say "coding" and call themselves "coders" are guaranteed to have not touched a computer prior to 2010.
>>
>>79695811
tell him python is a scripting language and he's a fucking lame script kiddie for using it. tell him he won't ever grasp pointers in C like the midwit zoomer scum he is
>>
>>79696756
the demo scene would like to have a word with you, lamer
>>
>>79695811
A coder get paid $16/h
A programmer get paid $30+/h
The term is used to suppress wages.
>>
>>79696450
Kek. This makes the most sense
>>
>>79696450
CSS is turing complete. So yes, it is a programming language.
>>
>>79695811
Coding originally refers to low-level stuff right? Now it's used to refer to writing css and html and other extremely high level of abstraction things.
Why?
I prefer to call everything "programming" because coding sounds fucking gay like it sounds like you're cracking secret codes or something.
>>
>>79696450
CSS is a high-level declarative language for specifying how the browser renders a page
>>
>>79695811
i call my job keyboard molester
>>
I bet you gave him shit for calling it a “function” instead of a “method”

Fucking faggot
>>
>>79695811
No, because coding is a distinct term from programming. I actually like having that distinction btw - it's a way to separate men from boys.
>>
I don't use "coding" I use the term "cucking myself out of a happy life"
>>
>>79696215
I refuse to use it and just replace it in conversation with the proper term
>so are you a coder?
>I'm a programmer
>have you coded anything?
>I've written a lot of software
>what's your favorite coding language?
>I mostly use Python for programming
Never give in.

>>79697109
You and your "AKSHUALLY if you accept these conditions" master's thesis can go fuck yourselves. CSS is not a programming language.
>>
>>79696308
you will never be a woman.
>>
>>79697109
please write a program in CSS that asks the user for a name, then says "Hello, " followed by the user's name
i'm genuinley interested as to how you would do that
>>
>>79695811
you are larpnigger
>>
I just call it programming and don't care if people call it programming or coding or scripting or whatever. Online, anyway. There's no equivalent to "coding" in my language that doesn't sound really awkward or very clearly refer to something else, such as encoding, everybody calls it programming.
>>
>>79695811
Richard Stallman on the topic:
>I find it bizarre that people use the term "coding" to mean programming. For decades, we used the word "coding" for the work of low-level staff in a business programming team. The designer would write a detailed flow chart, then the "coders" would write code to implement the flow chart. This is quite different from what we did and do in the hacker community -- with us, one person designs the program and writes its code as a single activity. When I developed GNU programs, that was programming, but it was definitely not coding.
>Since I don't think the recent fad for "coding" is an improvement, I have decided not to adopt it. I don't use the term "coding", except if I were talking about a business programming team which has coders.
https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
>>
I just own up to it and call it googling.
>>
>>79697109
so is C++ template. which is not a programming language btw.
>>
>>79695811
um i prefer "software engineer"
>>
>>79701488
People who misuse the term "hacker" like this are even bigger gigafaggots.
>>
>>79695928
based opinion
>>
>>79695811
This is how I put it
A lumberjack chops down trees. He is not a tree-er. He is not tree-ing.
A programmer writes code. He is not a code-er. He is not code-ing.
>>
>>79695811

i dont program or code, i engineer software
>>
>>79697109
Turing-completeness is neither necessary nor sufficient for a programming language. There are useful programming languages that can only implement primitive recursive functions.
>>
I Prefer to call it "keyboarding ninja program maker"
>>
>>79695811
'coders' r t shirt wearing dickheads with stickers all over their fking i-whatevers
aint able to program shit without an ide
coders r pony tailed ruby using retards
>>
>>79696450
thats a surprising rational take

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.