[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I don't get the hate. It's a solid distro.
>>
You are entirely correct. The Arch Linux meme is, like the name says, a meme.
>>
It is, but for a lot of people it's not a distro, it's a way of life. Arch hate comes from the fact that many arch users are basically like furries.
>>
Well yes, it can be, but you need to put quite a bit of work in compared to setting up debian or ubungo. I know that copying commands isn't that hard, and I fell for the arch/i3 ricememe once, but now I regret spending all that time doing that when I could just be using guhnome and getting work done. AUR packages don't work, and sometimes (yes even in the year of our lord 2021), pacman -Syu will fuck your system. It isn't minimal, and is just a headache to fix sometimes...
>>
>>79692643
>and sometimes (yes even in the year of our lord 2021), pacman -Syu will fuck your system
t. doesn't read news before upgrading
>>
The biggest problem with Arch, in my opinion, is that dependencies aren't always correct, especially with regards to driver bullshit.
You basically have to install every graphic driver that your system supports, and then the 32-bit versions, or else you're going to experience endless flickering and tearing, since nobody thought it necessary to dependency it in.
Which is fine, but kinda defeats the "minimal distro" vibe.
>>
>>79692704
wasn't there a big long post by one of the devs about how Arch isn't minimal at all?
>>
>>79692643
>arch = tiling WM
when will this meme end? arch is one of the best KDE distros
>sometimes (yes even in the year of our lord 2021), pacman -Syu will fuck your system.
every current distro sometimes has minor breakages, at least on arch you can use a tool like yay to check news before upgrades.
a distro that has a minor, easily fixed issue every few months is way easier to deal with than one that can explode every few years (i.e. ooboontoo)
>>
>>79692713
It was just semantics, if I remember correctly, something like "the user desires what they want; whether they want a minimal install or not"
I meant it in the sense of that though
>>
>>79692101
Or are furries
>>
>>79692664
When will archfags admit that an inline news tool would be extremely useful?
>>
>>79692817
yay -Pw && yay -Syu
>>
File: sudo pacman -Syu.jpg (45 KB, 617x533)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>79692664
sudo pacman -Syu
>>
>>79692817
It certainly would be, did you think I was implying the opposite?
>>
>>79692070
On artix, but still
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php?topic=2043
Also sometimes the headphones dont work
>>
>>79692817
>>79692829
Just use paru. It's yay rewritten in rust that shows new news by defaults when you update.
>>
arch used to literally break, ask anyone whos been around long enough
>>
How do I install maya on arch? There is some licence fuckery and I had not got the time yet to resolve it.
>>
>>79692070
they hate us cause they ain't us
>>
>>79692070
It's because people take running Arch as a personality trait. It's fucking annoying. Look at plebbit, especially at "linuxmasterrace". It's probably kids though, so I'm not judging that hard.
>>
>>79693219
YWNBAW
>>79693308
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/maya/
you have to do it manually, but it should just werk once installed
>>
>>79693397
Same dev as yay so I guess you're a Tranny now too.
>>
File: c68j5lk7e1961.png (285 KB, 750x563)
285 KB
285 KB PNG
>>79692834
>>
>>79692643
>but now I regret spending all that time doing that when I could just be using guhnome and getting work done
The secret is running GNOME on Arch.
>>
>>79692704
>You basically have to install every graphic driver that your system supports, and then the 32-bit versions, or else you're going to experience endless flickering and tearing, since nobody thought it necessary to dependency it in.
Want to know how I know you're using NVIDIA?
>>
>>79693416
idc who wrote it, i'm not switching from something still maintained and functional just because the alternative was written in a specific language
>>
>>79692070
Install gentoo
>>
>>79692778
>>79692713
only dumb fucks perceive arch as being centric to minimalism. although the base install is relatively minimal, if you'd take the time to read the fucking wiki, you'd realize
>muh minimalism
is nowhere near central the driving objectives of the distro, and furthermore, the only retards who suggest it is, are retards on /g/. it would be ironic if being a brainless nigger wasn't on par for the typical /g/ poster
>>
>>79693535
actual meme
>>
>>79693604
false
>>
>>79693535
>>79693638
memed
>>
>>79693746
>memed
memed
>>
>>79693468
Paru is developed not because the dev thinks rust is better, but because yay has gotten too big for what it does
>>
File: 1024px-Manjaro-logo.svg.png (1 KB, 1024x1024)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>>
>>79693879
gy bby fr
>>
does anyone on arch actually get any work done
>>
>>79692070
>Meme
>userbase also a meme
>>
>>79694061
I browse, load my job bids on it and email them off and listen to music or VM into other distros for boredom.

It does what I need to get done or pass the time when the family is sleeping. As a basic user it is all good but I can say as a mediocre nerd, I wouldn't have it as an engineer or major programming, IT etc.

Think if I was that hardcore into software and computers I would be using Void or a BSD distro.

If it makes you feel any better when I got back into all of this, I started with Manjaro an ditched it quickly, always find myself using Openbox like back in the #! days, and keep it simple.
>>
File: chroot.png (62 KB, 1365x488)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>79693535
yes
>>79693604
no
>>
>>79692070
>has to read the wiki every time before updating the system because it might break out of nowhere and require manual intervention

>if you take too long to update Pacman will break because the distro can't handle too many "bundled" updates at once

> many packages aren't even as bleeding edge as Debian unstable

>updates fuck up Xorg/X crashes for no reason

>cannot handle proprietary drivers without hours of configuration and still breaks after kernel updates

>mfw Windows 10 is more stable

The only reason to install vanilla Arch instead of EndeavourOS or something is because you want internet clout for achieving the absurdly difficult task of installing the OS through a step-by-step guided tutorial without a GUI

archfags are the redditors of the loonix community, "windows bad, ubuntu bad, im hacker man i know how to ooga booga terminal"
>>
@79694383
Bad b8, try better
>>
If it’s not Arch, what OS do I have to use to be a cool kid? Gentoo?
>>
>>79694383
Got a gentoo fag here.
>>
>>79694512
No...it's just as ridiculous. Rice nerds build it just to say they built it and brag, it's not a reasonable fucking distro for any average human being.

Learn a BSD. Even GhostBSD, then these dipshits can't say a word to you about any of it because they know how great the BSD distros are but won't bother learning an actual Unix system that is near perfect.
>>
>>79694574
>BSD devs leave critical security flaws unfix for months

>yeah, perfect system, definitely gonna use instead of Linux because it's less popular so it's cooler haha
>>
>>79694450
this isn't twitter, sweaty
>>
>>79694623
OpenBSD itself is inherently more secure than any distro. It is coded to have minimal security flaws. Why else would any major bank or company use it? NetBSD is very well programmed and for a reason to appeal to those who can see how well it is coded in the very field it is made for (programmers, engineers, etc.)

And I said "near perfect" because it is obvious there are going to be flaws and some issues. Just like any distro. This isn't a popularity contest. You can pick any distro apart that you dislike or like, and it will be a circle jerk. This is merely opinionated jabber. You will argue about anything and it's obvious you're not a reasonable human being.
>>
>>79694383
I'm using arch linux right now btw.
It just works on my machine.
>>
>"Btw, I use Arch"
maybe this
>>
>>79694815
I am too. But I can see the argument being made.
>>
>>79694777
OpenBSD is a painfully slow, featureless toy. NetBSD is based, but severely lacking in manpower.
>>
File: ORLY Gentoo.png (254 KB, 500x700)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>79692070
You forget /g/ is full of contrarian assholes who love to shit all over anything that's even slightly popular or controversial.
>>
>>79694777
OpenBSD and FreeBSD are specifically the least secure ones, it take months for devs to fix the most ridiculous methods of escalating user privilege in the system

I'm not arguing about what you like to use anon, if it works for you: great, you're very unlikely get cucked in any unix-based os anyways unless you're tech illiterate but saying BSD is inherently safer than Linux is a mistake.
>>
>absurdly difficult task of installing the OS through a step-by-step guided tutorial without a GUI
its not difficult just wget a youtube video on it and watch, then push buttons
>>
>>79694815
>>79694857
I used it for a very long time too but that's what Arch is all about, personal desktop use. If you want to get work done you have to avoid it, too unpredictable. It's not as bleeding edge as it's advertised to be and it's still very unstable.

I like it but wouldn't recommend to anyone unless they're a hobbyst or want something for ricing / personal gratification only.
>>
>>79695103
It isn't unstable at all, especially compared to any other distro
>>
>>79695020
OpenBSD gets fixes pretty fast though
>>
>>79694383
Yeah literally none of this happened and I've used Arch for 2 years. NVIDIA / Intel desktop and Intel laptop.
>>
File: h.png (83 KB, 500x505)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
>>79695193
Great, good for you but don't lie to me and say you're not afraid of booting up your pc one day and seeing a kernel panic. You might say whatever you want online but deep inside you know it can brick itself at any moment, with the slightest of mistakes - maybe not even your fault...
>>
>>79695255
i've been running arch for 4 years on the same install and it's been absolutely solid, since they ironed out the bugs in like 2015
>>
>>79695345
how many times dies it break?
>>
>>79695368
i don't rice so i don't change anything, the AUR works well and i've absolutely never had problems with rolling releases
>>
>>79695255
I broke my arch install btw by doing something stupid in GRUB (that it allowed, because GRUB sucks).
Just get your bootable usb and chroot into it and push buttons to fix GRUB.
>>
>>79695368
I've been running arch for 2 years and i only had 2 issues which were my fault
>>
>>79693397
Thnks mate.
>>
>>79692760
>arch is one of the best KDE distros
but i don't want to use kde, i want to use arch with dwm
>>
>>79693604
Not if you want to really learn linux and find out for yourself how little distros actually matter

>>79695345
Arch stability directly correlates to the amount of common sense a user has. See that some line in a config file needs to be changed? Do it before updating ffs.
The beauty of Linux and BSD is that all your mistakes are your own damn fault
>>
what happened? last week /g/ was cumming in their pants whenever they saw someone using arch now everyone hates it.
>>
>>79692829
>-Syu on yay
Just type yay, it assumes those flags if you don't add them
>>
>>79693535
gentoo seems only good for hobbyists and neets
>>
>>79696357
yay or nay?
>>
>>79692070
it's too hard to use for all the midwits that make up 95% of reddit and /g/
>>
>>79694512
A distro is not a personality.
>>
>>79696357
cool, didn't know that
>>
>>79696484
Arch IS the midwit distro par excellence.
>>
>>79697081
ur just an autist
>>
>>79692070
it's unironically pretty amazing if you want something that you fully control & customize. No other distro is better imo. Tons of good resources too.

people who are hating are just retards who want a ezy to click isntall button
>>
>>79692070
btw i use arch
>>
>>79692070
>>
>>79697542
t. gentoo nuthead
>>
>>79698075
install it
>>
>>79692070
tried to set it up the other day instead of ubuntu server. couldn't get it working on non-ufei system and the tutorials were too obscure

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.