[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

ITT software with obvious flaws that are still better than any of the alternatives.
For a tui-file manager ranger is the best. All the other ones are autistic garbage. This works like a file manager should, but it's slow and the configuration is a bit of a mess.
>>
Sorry, ranger is autistic garbage too just like nnn.
I couldn't get used to nnn either because everything about it's design, keybind layout and even the repo readme just screamed reddit.

I sucked it up and installed pcmanfm.
>>
tui file managers are all shit
>>
>>79689125
As much of a mess it is, I exclusively use this, sometimes I think to myself "Fine... I'll get over my hipster bullshit already" and install a graphical file manager like pcmanfm then immediately go back
>>
>>79689247
No + you're cringe, probably Jewish too
>>
>>79689209
>>79689351
Is there any particular reason why pcmanfm has it's configuration split between .config/libfm and .config/pcmanfm?
I also hate how every time I open it, it fucks with the config file because the previous window size is saved to pcmanfm.conf.

I use git to version my config files and pcmanfm, along with htop get their configs fucked with every time I use them.
>>
>>79689391
Scared of the command line are you goy? We didn't assassinate Terry for white men to just use twink guis, that's gay and anti-semitic
>>
>>79689586
I'm scared of wasting time
>>
>>79689603
get off this reddit clone and do work then, retard
>>
Windows
>>
File: 1593530521717.gif (47 KB, 1024x744)
47 KB
47 KB GIF
>>79689689
9pbp
>>
>>79689125
You should check out nnn, it is easily extensible and shit fast (ranger is painfully slow), actually nnn does less system calls and cycles than ls to list a folder's content.

Also is has so many extensions that it roughly has the same features than ranger.
>>
>file managers
cd, mv, cp, mkdir, ls, df, mount, rm, and a couple others tools are all you need.
>>
>>79689758
I've tried nnn, vifm, lf.
They're all autistic garbage. NNN especially is fucking gay as fuck.
>no config file XXDDDDD
yeah it's a lot more elegant to have to add 10 more environment variables and launch the program with options for which you need to add another alias or a wrapper script. And if you want image previews you better add a wrapper because there is no way to do that otherwise.
>>79689769
some people actually have to do stuff on their computers
>>
>>79689804
>some people actually have to do stuff on their computers
I do too and it works fine.
>>
>>79689125
Use lf instead https://github.com/gokcehan/lf
Along with a gui fm of your choice. I use caja.
>>
I might be retarded but here is all I need:
cd, ls -la, whereis <program>, /path/to/program <file>
>>
>>79689915
What do you do for bulk tasks? Write scripts?
>>
File: epstein.png (284 KB, 1039x980)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
ahhh yes yt a wonderful place https://youtu.be/V7zcMvizj5M
>>
>>79689125
Is cozy
>>
>>79689804
>some people actually have to do stuff on their computers
Yeah, they're called "mc users"
>>
>>79689401
that sounds like hell anon
>>
File: fman.gif (905 KB, 758x319)
905 KB
905 KB GIF
>not just using fman
>>
>>79690565
that's gay, just use the mouse at this point
>>
>>79689824
lf is too autistic and I don't need gui program when ranger does almost everything better
>>
>>79689125
Using screenfag software when dired exists.
>>
>>79689603
>I sucked it up and installed pcmanfm.
Ah yes more time to larp about being productive on imageboards
>>
>>79689125
>running a hardware emulator to manage your files
Why?
>>
>>79689125
Software in general. Sorry, Ted.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.