[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does anyone know how to program a sim card to work with an old car phone like pic related? I have a smart card reader/writer. Sometimes I go to areas where cell phone reception is spotty. Car phones have a bigger range.

But really the real reason is because I think it would be something kinda fun to do. I know it can be done. I've seen it. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPmZiKGS9Mw )

I live in the US in case you need to know about different signal standards.
>>
If your in the USA analog 1G cell service is long, long gone.
Turn it on. It will show no signal. Before they shut 1G down you could still dial 811 or 911.
>>
>>79685678
I don't actually have one with me. But aren't there 2G car phones? I'm pretty sure there is.
>>
>>79685704
*I think there may even be 3G car phones too. Given that 3G was introduced in 2001
>>
File: CARK9151-new.jpg (114 KB, 475x362)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>79685704
>>79685728
2G and 3G capacity is cut back to the bare minimum and they are refarming all the frequencies for 5G. VZN wont even activate a phone that doesn't support VoLTE. TMO is shutting down all Sprint's old garbage and offering the remaining 2G free upgrades.
1G (AMPS) actually stuck around until 2008 iirc because of GM's ONSTAR and a few other industrial things.

Back in the 2G times there where cradles that used an external antenna.
>>
>>79685951
I know that there is still 2G and 3G fallback in case of a bad signal or something. Weirdly enough there's more 2G around than 3G nowadays.

It's just one of those things that if I can do it, it'd be cool to try. I don't know how to program a sim card or where to get the data to program it with though.
>>
bump
>>
get a phone with an external antenna connector, use that, that's what it's for
>>
>>79686987
That's boring; You're boring.
>>
>>79686987
I don't think the antenna is what made car phones have a higher range. I'm pretty sure they used a higher transmit wattage too.
>>
>>79687972
Many phones with a detachable antenna are allowed, and will transmit at higher wattage than they can get away with an internal antenna, so there's that.
>>
>>79688719
Does anyone here even remember Mavis Beacon? Literally no one mentioned it. How could y'all possibly forget?
>>
>>79689163
Damn it. Wrong thread, AND I forgot to delete the post number.
>>
>>79685634
Why isn't a cell signal booster good for your use case? Or you're from /o/, and want to restore the car phone in your car?

A cell signal booster
> Is in your car
> Boosts all 4G freqs
> The outside antenna has the high Tx power you speak of
> You can use it with multiple phones in your car (wife enjoys the same reception)
> You may be able to patch it so it directly feeds a 4G router.
> 5G version might be available, especially after you took your "covid" vaccine
>>
>>79685634
does taping a yagi antenna end to my phone make it have a better signal
>>
>>79689488
Because those are boring.

I'm just joking. I'd thought it be kinda cool to try and get one working again. As far as I know you get a sim card and just put it in there. It it needs to be programmed, I can do it. I just need software and to find out what to even change parameters to.
>>
>>79691262
>It it needs to
*If
>>
>>79685634
why not just make your own?
it's not hard.
>>
File: electricity meter.jpg (25 KB, 580x326)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>79686081
>Weirdly enough there's more 2G around than 3G nowadays.
Hows that weird? 2G is really needed for remote readable/controllable devices while 3G is merely "the old smartphone technology". At least where I live a lot of stuff depends on 2G.
>>
>>79685634
These phones used the analog AMPS network, which no longer exists.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.