[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1609821737841.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
changing the UI doesn't do shit if the OS itself is bloated from 35 years of backwards compatibility
compounded poor choices over the numerous versions

as much as I think Linux is better than Windows (which isn't a high bar), I doubt it'll ever overtake it for "normal use" simply because there's no unified solution

there's too many distros and flavors and desktops for normal people to take it seriously
Windows is from Microsoft, MacOS/iOS is from Apple, Android/ChromeOS is from Google, "Linux" by itself has no substance
>>
>>79684690
Linux is for DIY people. There are how ever, many GNU/Linux distro from many companies with community support.
>>
>>79684690
>changing the UI doesn't do shit if the OS itself is bloated from 35 years of backwards compatibility
The backwards compatibility stuff is not bloat. Bloat is the newest additions that started with Win8 (and somewhat Win7/Vista).
Low level parts of Win10 are actually quite good. They did a lot of interesting stuff in the kernel and driver frameworks (especially WDDM). It's being destroyed by the retarded GUI.
>as much as I think Linux is better than Windows (which isn't a high bar), I doubt it'll ever overtake it for "normal use" simply because there's no unified solution
>there's too many distros and flavors and desktops for normal people to take it seriously
Yes.
>>
>>79684704
this

Ubuntu got close-ish but it's still too autistic for your average consoomer. I'm glad it exist though, it gives people like me who want to get up and running fast without having to sperg in config files for weeks an alternative.
>>
File: debian-tux.png (26 KB, 602x500)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>79684690
Debian is from the Debian project. OP is a nigger.
>>
>>79684690
>there's too many distros and flavors and desktops for normal people to take it seriously
You can say the same about android and yet it has over 50% market share in smartphones.
>>
>>79684848
And yet almost all of them support the Play Store for software distribution and are capable of installing .apks.
Different Linux distros have vastly different software distribution paradigms that are usually incompatible.
>>
>>79684848
yeah but android is "click-click dunnnhhhhhhhhh" linux is keyboard smashing autist-monkey
>>
>>79684690
>changing the UI doesn't do shit if the OS itself is bloated from 35 years of backwards compatibility
This, Microsoft will never be able to modernize windows. Every attempt is met with mixed adoption by developers and mixed reactions from consumers
Apple has constantly pushed for developers to adopt their own APIs and deprecates anything that isn't useful anymore. Sure it hurts, but look at what they are capable of, they've redesigned the entire UI for MacOS and transitioned the hardware over to ARM chips with amazing performance
>>
>>79686600
10x drops the compatibility structure, and is for modern apps. Thats thwir attempt so lean it out I think
>>
>>79686600
Microsoft would be able to modernize windows if they were more strict and less "uwu do whatever developers uwu we love u uwu".
They just need a good marketing team to cover their asses while they whip devs into shape.
And of course, a development team that actually gets enough time to modernize every component at once instead of the trickling down 10 currently suffers with.
>>
>THERES TOO MANY DISTROS
There's too many car makers.
There's too many kinds of bread.
There's too many brands of laundry detergent.
There's too many PC components.
There's too many kinds of dildos.
See how dumb you sound when you say this shit? Fucking stupid Dumbest Generation.
>>
>>79686709
Your analogy isn't applicable though.
>>
>>79686709
Unironically, yes to all of those.
Look up the illusion of choice before you start calling others dumb.
>>
>>79686745
>illusion of choice
So you want one, maybe two choices for every single thing. You know what happens when you have that? Stagnation and monopolies. Poorly made products.
Competition is good. The more the better. The "illusion of choice" is a bad fallacy by people who want to control the market.
>>
>>79684690
> there's too many distros and flavors and desktops for normal people to take it seriously
FINALLY SOMEONE FUCKING SAYS IT!
Each distro, with its included DE, apps, and packages, is essentially its own distinct OS. Yeah, it runs the Linux kernel. But literally everything else is different. Smash on Windows all you want, but at least it gives you coupled APIs so you don't have to write a ton of extra code to get a GUI.
>>
>>79686709
Everything you listed is already functioning / in wide use / well-known
Absolutely no one, by comparison to other systems, uses desktop Linux.
Every option is pure garbage compared to proprietary solutions.
You try to tell some normie to install Linux and instead of doing it, he's going to try to figure out what the fuck Gnome/Cinamon/XFCE/KDE/dwm/i3 is and eventually come to the conclusion that all of them are shit
>>
>>79684758
I've been liking Pop OS! more lately. They take Ubuntu and fix Canoncial's bullshit that they keep introducing. Feels like Ubuntu if they never developed Unity at all.
>>
>>79686795
this, as all normal people do
>>
>>79686777
I don't think you're fully understanding what the illusion of choice is.
How things currently are, the current state you are defending, there is an abundance of "PC component brands" but they are all the same. Owned by the same conglomerate, made at the same factories. It's pointless. Claiming that they stop pretending to be a variety of different brands and instead just ship from factory, doesn't suddenly mean "stagnation".
Unless of course you are calling the current markets stagnant, which would be counter productive from your view.
>>
>>79686648
It's such a shame too cause their hardware team makes great stuff, surface IMO is probably one of the more desirable lines of devices
But instead they let developers just blame Microsoft when their 15 year old app doesn't work on Windows 10
>>
>>79686830
Microsoft is currently developing their own package manager, I think sooner or later we might see a complete overhaul with a Windows system being based on FreeBSD or something.
>>
>>79686868
no way they would do that
>>
>>79686805
Unity 7 was good, certainly better than GN*ME.
Ubuntu derivatives are still good, they just work, and purging snaps is not hard. I really like xubuntu.
>>
>>79686895
PlayStation and practically everything made by Apple already runs on FreeBSD-derived systems.
The BSD license is much more attractive for proprietary products than GPL
>>
>>79686824
They aren't though, retard.

Combustion engines went through rapid phases of advancement in the 20th century, with consumer car power traims being packed full of gimmicks. Did mechanics or gearheads complain? No, because they loved that shit. The difference between them and you is that you're a miserable sod who hates everything. When you see us having fun, it just makes your sad condition worse, so you lash out with cope like this.
>>
>>79684690
>Windows is from Microsoft, MacOS/iOS is from Apple, Android/ChromeOS is from Google, "Linux" by itself has no substance
And that's how it should stay. The normies can have their slave cages over there and we can live in a paradise of freedom on our own without interference from them. The instant Linux gets popular and gets flooded with normies, it will go to shit. Period. That's what happened to the internet. It used to be only hobbyists and professionals who used it, now normies have flooded it with their social media crap and its shit as a result.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.