[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 3tfys5.png (1.26 MB, 1279x1222)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB PNG
How long did everyone have to apply before getting an entry level tech job? I've been trying for the past 4 years, thinking of giving up after today's rejection.

My work hours won't give me the opportunity to job hunt or do anything but work and sleep, so I may as well give up.
>>
you really need to change your methods if it's taking 4 years
>>
>>79684321
What are your skillsets, certs, and abilities?
>>
>>79684980
I have A+ Certs. I intend to get more once I get into the industry. I had to eat nothing but ramen for a couple months to get A+

I am skilled with hardware mostly. I can do networks, Windows, Mac, and Linux skillz. I do server administration in my homelab. My Homelab also has a 10gigabit network.

I usually freelance, but don't have time anymore.
>>
>>79685032
A+ is a scam homie (and the rest of compTIA)
>>
>>79685084
Doesn't help that most employers around me don't recognize it, and want a bachelor's degree or higher, plus years experience that's not homelab or freelancing just for an entry level job.
>>
>>79685126
Can you use any of these qualifications to get a credit for a bachelors degree?
>>
>>79684321
I graduated with a ME degree in May. Had 2 jobs be canceled before I started because of covid. I have my 2nd interview with a company my friend works at on Friday. You need to find people you can leech off for a job bro.
>>
>>79685126
>>79685084
even just super entry level? I see lots of jobs saying A+ or AA or BS. Trying to leave the bartender lifestyle behind and get a comfy deskjob.
>>
>13 apps for my first tech job out of college (technology consultant @ $54k)
>18 apps for the one after that (Quality Assurance at $62k).
>no apps for NOC Admin position friend got me ($91k)
>then moved to dev via 16 Apps to Software Developer II ($80k)
>now, Software engineer via 23 apps ($100k)

All positions in Chicago, sans QA, which was Seattle
>>
>>79686532
This is with a BS in CS from a horrible Illinois state university, btw
>>
>>79685126
>bought into the self-taught genius meme

oh boy
>>
>>79686542
were you a happy little programming machine in your off-time or are you one charming motherfucker or both?
>>
>>79685032
>A+ Certs
stop telling people you have these. remove them from your CV. forget they exist.
>I can do networks
no you can't
>Windows, Mac, and Linux skillz
don't ever tell them this either
>server administration in my homelab
that's good. can you describe one of your personal projects? you should contribute to an open source project
>Homelab also has a 10gigabit network
this means absolutely nothing
>I usually freelance
what are you doing for freelance work
>>
>>79685126
i dropped out of highschool and have been working as a sysadmin for 10 years and nobody has ever asked me about education.
>>
>>79686532
Was this building the references from each job and over how long?
>>
>>79686595
not him, but references aren't helpful. they only get you an interview, which is pretty easy to get if you have basic experience on your resume. you can fuck up the interview that your reference gets you just as easily. i've done it and its twice as embarrassing because your old coworker buddy vouched for you.
>>
>>79686589
my grandpa smoked a pack a day and is still pretty healthy to this day
>>
>>79686574
No, I don't have a very good portfolio at all. Most of these jobs I worked less than a year, too, often with large gaps between tech employment, while I just fucked around doing other things, though now planning on working longer, to pump investments and retire early. I did always know what I was talking about, however, and and rather charismatic during interviews, exuding passion and desire to learn. Also 6'5" and look like a young Bill Gates, which I think helps.
>>
>>79686595
and no, the only one I got through a reference was the mentioned NOC Admin job, that a friend got me. Rest were just Built In Chicago and Indeed.
>>
File: 1588952460740.jpg (24 KB, 253x220)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
im completely ruined by my own success. ive been working a long time and there are lots of shiny projects and things on my resume, but after grilling me for 16 minutes its clear that my knowledge is about as deep as a puddle. ive been fucking chilling most of the last 4 years at this company and haven't made any major decisions, zone out of conversations in meetings, etc. im not a newbie anymore im just dumb. im used to making 150k/year and now im fucked. my wife is about to realize i'm a fucking dumbass.
>>
>>79686646
experience always trumps education. once you have any amount of experience, say 2 years or so, they won't care about your degree.
>>
>>79686579
>>79685084
While do you guys say fuck Comptia? I see lots of jobs in my area (Seattle) that put is as a requirement A+, SEC+, NET+
>>
>>79684321
Quit and get a trade in electrical or plumbing, they pay about the same as IT, but the hours are more flexible. I used to work in IT about a decade ago, I quit because companies are only interested in hiring Pajeets, in spite of major gaps in their skills, there was this one pajeet who used to just follow me around and learn from me, then I taught him some things and he started doing them and claiming he was self taught, he got promoted and started asking me how to do his new job, he thought he could keep getting tips from me, well I gave him tips, I sent him a script that would delete all the email servers emails and backups, he didn't bother to open it and read it, he probably wouldn't have understood the script, and he got fired, and I didn't get shit because it deleted the fucking email I sent him with the script, so no paper trailer, I quit eventually and got a trade, fuck working in IT, it used to be an industry of hobbyists, now it's managed by people who think they are technically minded because they own an Iphone, and an increasingly large amount of nepotism from indians is seeping in because management are not skilled enough to notice their obvious gaps in knowledge.
>>
>>79686711
You are everything that made me leave IT.
>>
>>79686887
>I sent him a script that would delete all the email servers emails and backups, he didn't bother to open it and read it, he probably wouldn't have understood the script, and he got fired, and I didn't get shit because it deleted the fucking email I sent him with the script, so no paper trailer,
Based. Do you have any other stories like this one?
>>
>>79684321
>apply for internship freshman year
>6 months later get it
>work during summer semesters and periodically take an off semester for extra money
>hired on after I graduate
>still working there 6 years later
I dont see what the fuss is about.
>>
>>79686924
Just normal shit about people being retarded wanting their computers fixed, or having a boss that has absolutely no knowledge, and being confused why they are your boss when they can't do the most simple of tasks, I only worked in help desk, but like any good boy working in IT I ran all kinds of retarded shit in my personal time so I had a bit more knowledge than my job required.
>>
>>79686579
Haha this guy thinks IT = dev work
I have a decent IT job that pays very well and I have never written a line of code in my life.
OP just get familiar with virtual environments (hyper-v mainly) and learn basic powershell fundamentals. You are now ready to earn a lazy $70k pa
>>
>>79687022
>very well
>70k
Itbro...
>>
>be csfag
>think ITfags have some indepth knowledge of servers and hardware
>watch them work one day
>iunno lol just plug it in wherever it fits lol
>why isn't the switch working?
>its literally plugged into itself
And thats when I realized I really should just do everything myself.
>>
>>79687055
You shouldn't. You should make note of the incident and not take on the extra workload. If it hits the fan, you references these incidents.
>>
>>79686711

Same position here

>considered winderkind at my highly desirable company
>I have surface level knowledge but no implementation ability
>just build shitting prototypes and pass off the work to autists
>people think I’m the genius when the project succeeds
>In reality I do about 1% of the real work
>the real workers know this and seethe
>since WFH started last spring I’ve maybe worked 5 hours per week, tops
>genuinely wouldn’t take any job that paid less than 200k and/or required more than 10 hours of work per week
>resume is pure gold. Top tier companies. Rapid promotions
>my wife constantly walk in on me playing with my dog, browsing 4chan, lifting weights, and doing anything but working all day
>she thinks I’m gonna get fired but I keep getting promoted

Life is easy when you’re semi competent, sociable, and attractive. I just can’t lose.
>>
>>79686778
if i saw those logos on a resume id throw it in the trash
>>
>>79686899
because you are me? or because of people like me? to be clear im loyal and diligent as an engineer. im always busy and i try to enable others. i just haven't done shit in terms of personal growth
>>
>>79686665
well fuck me, good for you anon, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor

>>79686735
yee, but getting that experience in first place can be tough
>>
>>79686887
Nice shower larp
>>
>>79687166
is this larp
>>
>>79684321
Lel, get on my level. I have a bachelor degree and one of my personal projects ended up improving on someone's phd work. Yet after around 8 years and thousands of job applications, nobody wants to hire me for shit.
>>
>>79684321
>>79684954
>>79684980
>>79685032
>>79685084
>>79685126
>>79686532
>>79686711
>>79686887
>>79687166
You need to lie, lie, lie your ass off. This does not mean what you think it means ("I have X Y Z degree, certification, etc"). You have to lie about 1001 small things for these reasons:

1. HR is unfit to run the job process, and unfit to run the company for that matter. All they do is exclude you because of the most autistic shit imaginable. You could put Java, C#, and every other OOP lang on your resume and actually have 20 years of experience in them, but oops our gay requirement specifically stated Java Version (insert 15 year old dead nigger version that nobody else on fucking earth uses here)

1a. HR shits are drawn like flies to shit over the most gay ass testing software. The kind that has 20 year old deprecated info and/or does that shit where, it doesn't check the result of your code but just does a big fat string compare, which means you're gonna have to guess to the character of what the answer is, which might be the least likely thing to occur in this universe as it's literally a version of the monkey typewriter paradox. This software is cancer because it's in the software's best interests to tell the HR shits that they "caught" some shit about you. Again, HR is not fit to do this job process, or draw breath.

2. Programmers are autistic fucks who masturbate over nomenclature. No my dude, after designing data access layers and huge apps, I kinda forgot the textbook definition of a struct because nobody fucking uses that on a daily or yearly basis.

3. Gatekeeping. It is in the employee's best interests to deny you the job for no other reason that it eliminates the competition. All they do is tell the owner or manager who created the need for the job that all the candidates were so shit that they would have fucked and tanked the company, which is ironically exactly what they're doing.
>>
>>79687474
Finally, you see these jobs posted repeatedly for years at a time then they just give up. Either they have their heads up their asses for reasons I already mentioned or, they secretly just didn't want to hire anyone anyway and not scale and just jerk off on the computer all day thinking they are smart for getting paid for it. It's a benefit to the entire GDP of the country for you to lie because you are overriding their bullshit and creating revenue for the company, and you get paid, so everyone wins. Literally fuck HR in the ass and fuck autistic mouthbreathing programmers who end interviews over bullshit, you HAVE to lie your ass off. That is all.
>>
>>79687499
>>79687474
So how long did it take you to come to the correct conclusion that all HRshits must be genocided?
>>
>>79685032
by network do you mean actual cisco stuff or "i run few counterstrike servers" network
>>
>>79687367

No. It’s the complete truth. That is genuinely my situation right now. Haven’t done a lick of work since quarantine started. Just had my review and I’m am in all likelihood getting promoted from senior to staff software engineer this cycle. That’s a full year earlier than expected, and my promotion from L4 equivalent to senior also came a year early. So two rapid promotions in a row. This one coming after the better part of a year in which I did almost zero work aside from delegating to smarter and more technically gifted autists.
>>
>>79687474
>1a
you mean selenium right, why the fuck do boomer hr fags love it so much,
my current job has nothing to do with selenium, i am a backend dev, sure i do unittests but they don't involve selenium, but on my phone interview i said "i can do selenium" and boom got hired and talked with actual lead who is real cool, and we didn't even talk about selenium
>>
>>79687166
>>79687569
Probably larp but w/e
>>
>>79687614
Not tests as in unit tests but software that tests candidates. Say it asks you to do a for loop. And you put the bracket on the second line instead of keeping it on the first, or you use b instead of i to iterate through it. You fail because your code isn't 100% character for character the same as the "answer". Yes some of them are good and compare the result, in that case you can do anything you want. The bad ones just fail you for this reason and don't tell you why at all because it's in the testing company's best interests to not tell you because then you could copy the answer and post it online for the next person. All the HR shit sees is "you failed the test". These sorts of testing software are fucking cancer and just eliminate 100% of candidates, and the clueless HR fucks think that's a-ok even for several rounds of candidates all who fail across the board
>>
>>79687685
It isn't murder if you're killing HR scum. It's a bloody public service.
>>
>>79687474
no, dude. hr doesn't ever do the candidate selection. you get interviewed by engineers and your goddamn boss. he doesn't know anything and then don't care. they find candidates with some vaguely matching keywords and that's all. if you lie you will get crushed during the technical portions of the interview.
>>
>>79687971
t. HRfag trying to avoid the rope
>>
>>79687999
getting past hr is easy its passing technical interviews where you're supposed to sound competent in all the shit you put on your resume that is the challenge
>>
>>79687971
>>79687999
HR is the first gate you have to pass. They filter you before you reach the engineers because they think they are being smart. Because I actually have a portfolio of code and apps that run, I've gotten $100K+ jobs without ever having to do a technical interview. But still get filtered by HR on occasion because they ask stupid fucking questions. What's so utterly fucking stupid about this is they have common sense for LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE:
>Oh, you speak Spanish, French, English, and Japanese, so picking up German shouldn't be that hard for you
>You worked at Chevy for 20 years so you'll probably fit in at Ford
>Oh it says here you know every programming language ever made ever ever ever but you did not specifically say you know Java-Nigger-4-1999 version so I'm going to toss your resume.
HR cunts aren't people and are not required for our society to function.
>>
I got in easy as an internship never did a formal coding interview. I've been trying for other jobs and man this shit sucks. The coding tests they give are retarded and have nothing to do with day to day coding. Its like trying to work for a painting company, but they ask you to solve a rubiks cube first to make sure you understand color theory.
>>
File: 1610607123118.jpg (40 KB, 711x474)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>79688280
>I got in easy as an internship never did a formal coding interview. I've been trying for other jobs and man this shit sucks.
Yep. You're at the wall now. This is it.
>The coding tests they give are retarded and have nothing to do with day to day coding.
Yep. They are usually algorithmic problems, which you are expected to think through and solve in front of other people in an unnatural way. It's a skill mostly unrelated to actual work. It requires you to actual be pretty good on a deeper level than what your work requires. Some folks are really good at interviewing and some like me are completely useless. I'm fucking good at my job but I can't pass an interview for shit.
>>
>>79688188
>HR is the first gate you have to pass. They filter you before you reach the engineers because they think they are being smart.
If you can't hustle your way past a non-technical HR person, you're definitely not going to pass the technical part of the interview.
>>
>>79686532
>position friend got me
This is how the world works. College (a good one) gives you those.
>>
>>79688762
This is not how the world works after your first job or so.
>>
>>79684321
Pretty bad week to quit sniffing glue
>>
>>79687043
What the fuck do you think entry level means, retard
>>
>>79687367
he's not larping. it's common to get into a bigger company and just slouch after a while like this. it's what ive been doing and it's why im totally screwed now that ive been laid off
>>
File: 1597527608502.png (224 KB, 521x937)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>79686468
Next week im starting a deskjob after 1 year neet and prior to that blue collaring.
Im happy. Only 8 hours a day, can come and go whenever i want. Probably home office later on due to virus. And best of all, its a small but only with girl filled company. Never worked with girls before. And payment is high too.
>>
>>79689564
>best of all, its a small but only with girl filled company. Never worked with girls before
Next week on Anon loses his Job due to sexual harrasment, this guy.
>>
>>79687474
> who masturbate over nomenclature
Lol, I learnt English through videogames, I knew how to use proper grammar etc. but not what it was called. Was a pain in the ass.
>Sorry anon, you can't hammer nails anymore because you don't know what nailing is
>>
File: 1609822489918.png (261 KB, 486x557)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
>>79689650
Doesnt matter.
>>
>>79689529
>>79687569

are the companies usually okay with this or do you have to actively make it seem like you are putting in the expected amount of effort if not busting your ass?
>>
>>79689749
it's a sort of grey area. usually these companies measure performance using metrics, so you generally need to make sure you meet those, and also never make it obvious that you're just fucking around. your position also depends on having good relationships with your lateral coworkers that is build on trust
>>
>>79689749
generally speaking though this situation will not last forever and when it ends you are pretty fucked
>>
ive worked ~2700 hours in 2020, for one project. going to mass production soon. 250,000€ for one year of hard work. i love being self employed.
>>
>>79684321

1 year
>>
>>79690347
what sort of contracting are you doing? did you work on it by yourself or did you collaborate on a team? honestly a lot of the headaches of self employed contracting sound just as bad as the wage slavery versions, but im sure it has its perks. 250k/year sounds good.
>>
Like a month with a bachelors.

Recently changed from IT to cybersec too.

Helps that I have a masters in digital forensics tho.
>>
>>79690043
>>79690055

I see, for now, I'd just be happy if I can become competent enough to do honest and useful work, and hopefully with a sustainable work-life balance so I can have some time for my hobby as well. Even that feels so hard atm. I'm glad that you guys were able and fortunate enough to hit high marks and to live the life.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. For the laid-off anon, I wish you the best of luck in finding a new gig soon.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.