[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1024_2000-1.jpg (41 KB, 1000x518)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
It's only coding. It can't be that hard. When will we see a non-indian rom?
>>
It requires a very high understanding of multiple aspects of Android and strong development skills. Most people outside of India lack these skills. Western coders are more focused on iOS development.
>>
>>79683194
Well you said it can't be that hard. Why aren't you making one already?
>>
>>79683209
>Western coders are more focused on iOS development.
So they are soi cucks?
>>
>>79683224
Pretty much, yah.
>>
>>79683224
thats were the money is
>>
>>79683290
Lmaoing at stupid itoddlers
>>79683305
Cringe cuck
>>
Bump
>>
>>79683194
>just install this custom ROM, it just works and it's completely free ;)

I can't believe people are dumb enough to install malware they think is "free".
>>
>>79683318
indian detected
>>
>>79683194
Not only pajeets, there's people making ROMs from all around the world and you can make them too. Grab AOSP, kernel, device, vendor tree and start cooking.
>>
>>79683492
But lineageos is a very well known and regarded rom.
>>
>>79683736
So is Google. You know the implications behind their services being free, but somehow don't question literal third party Indians.
>>
>>79683959
Are you a stock cuck?
On certain cases like miui, the stock rom spies on you a lot.
>>
>>79683194
it's literally because they want the cellphone to work for a decade instead of changing for a new one every 1 to 2 years
>>
>>79684296
I'm not poor so I don't use Android at all.
>>
File: 1594686828799.gif (355 KB, 500x491)
355 KB
355 KB GIF
>>79684745
Yes, but why can't whites do the same?
>>79684791
>itoddler btfo
>his only defence is "y-y-you are poor!"
Kek
>>
>>79683506
But why don't I see them at XDA?
Why do pajeet roms take precendence there?
>>
>too poor to buy a new phone and other personal computers, like laptops and desktops, are too expensive
Every other reason is secondary, it is purely an economical problem.
>>
>>79683194
>"Why do only indians create android roms?"
thank god no, but they use xda developers as their designated shitposting street
>"Is it that hard?"
I tried studying AlaskaLinuxUser videos on ROM development and goddamn, shit's so huge. Android is developed as a huge pile of various source codes that is compiled on unison. aquiring binary blobs sucks, fiding your phone's manufacturer linux kernel repo sucks. installing gentoo was far easier.
>>
>>79685185
Where are the non-pajeet roms, do you know? 4pda?
>>
Be the change you want to see, OP Anon.
>>
>>79684966
>not my pajeeeeterinooooooooos
kys satania
>>
>>79685399
I hate pajeets. I hoped whites would make roms, but >>79683209 answered that.
>>
>>79683194
It is difficult and there are a variety of nationalities behind most large open source projects. India is simply represented well because we have a very large population which are encouraged toward programming at a practical level. Everyone memes about us being Java peons but Java mastery is what makes a good ROM. ;)
>inb4 pajeet racial slurs etc etc
>>
>>79683194
Mine is made by 4 germans.
>>
>>79683209
This. Similar to how the Japanese value almost nothing FOSS, Americans and Westerners generally, don't seem to do much besides emote about developing FOSS software on various platforms. The minority here and in other places who can reasonably contribute are just a small part. On the whole your software industry is full of people who want to create a very unique project with no sense of focus or want to focus narrowly on a well-curated platform for making money. Hence iOS development, SaaS, Windows, etc.
>>
>>79684966
>Yes, but why can't whites do the same?
it's not the color of skin, but the wealth
buying a phone to a pajeet is like buying a car to someone like us, they HAVE to make things continue to work since it was a big investment

we mostly don't, it would be nice if it continued working, but it didn't
we can work a few more hours at a job and buy a new phone instead of spending weeks of off time making something obsolete to last a little longer
>>
>>79683194
it all depends on your particular device, smoothbrain. Pixel ROMs are made by whites and slants because those phones are unaffordable outside North America. Same for flagship Samsungs. Pajeets and Persians make Lineage for OnePlus and Xiaomi devices since those sell like gangbusters in their countries.
>>
>>79685475
I should add to this, I see nothing wrong with the latter situation. iOS is a fantastic way to make money off the backs of rich idiots. Android development is comparatively charitable work to an otherwise under-served community.
>>
>>79685501
>Pixel ROMs are made by whites and slants because those phones are unaffordable outside North America. Same for flagship Samsungs.
Actually... Pajeets make better ROMs for these, even when they aren't affordable in India (probably they get some via donation from some western who want a non fucked vendor rom).
>>
>>79685574
>non fucked vendor rom
Can you explain more?
>>
>>79685602
Not filled with vendor/teleco adware.
>>
>>79685602
Samsung's stock ROM shows ads you cannot disable. Even in the Ultra models that cost $1200+.
>>
>>79685689
Yes, that's a terrible thing.
I think it began after the founder died (he had been braindead for 5 years prior), and the heirs had to pay billions in inheritance tax.
Samsung is korea's lifeblood, it produces 1/5 of its gdp.
>>
>>79683209
holy crap, you must be really retarded or a street shitter yourself.
>>
>>79685937
Do you develop a rom of your own?
Are you part of a rom community that isn't xda pajeets?
>>
>>79685985
yes i work with wickenberg
>>
>>79686218
I see you don't develop for xiaomi. Any reason why? Just asking.
Very nice to meet you.
>>
>>79683194
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/free_rider_problem.asp
> The free rider problem is the burden on a shared resource that is created by its use or overuse by people who aren't paying their fair share for it or aren't paying anything at all.

The Western world usually doesn't touch Android ROMs because it's a very thankless job with people giving you death threats over stupid shit. All while your landlord evicts you because they want money, not Github stars. Those "Indians" who do it are probably doing it out of competition for visas or something. As soon as they get a good paying job, the ROMs always stop development.

> It's only coding. It can't be that hard.
WRONG. It's chaining together multiple programming languages, code organization patterns, build tools, plugins, etc. And that's just the stuff that actually runs on your phone. There's also distribution logistics, project management, organizing your team (if you have multiple people working on it)... It's never just coding.
>>
>>79686698
>Those "Indians" who do it are probably doing it out of competition for visas or something.
>As soon as they get a good paying job, the ROMs always stop development.
How can you be totally sure of this? Have you personally seen this and it was for that reason?
>>
>>79683194
Android phones and tablets are much more popular than PCs in India because they're cheaper, so there's more interest in modding them
>>
Bump
>>
>>7968319
>there are 18 yer old pajeets making android roms
its over
>>
>>79685235
I look up projects on wikipedia and read their websites.
>>
File: java.jpg (45 KB, 500x767)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>79683209
>>
>>79683194
Why the fuck do you even give a shit about the nationality of ROM developers? Why do you even go out of your way to find out?
Is all of this a thinly veiled /pol/ thread?
>>
File: 1603117945897.jpg (208 KB, 1800x1500)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
ok, serious question
how do I make ROMs and custom kernels for my devices? how hard is it? if pajets can do it surely it barely involves coding at all? do I need a threadripper and 500gb nvme disks?
>>
>>79688284
needs more jpg i can still read it
>>
>>79688498
it is not hard but it is a lot of work. Dont do it if youre not willing to put a lot of work maintaining security patches.
>>
>>79683194
I develop an android rom and I'm very white. Actually typing on it right now (xz1c). Its stable and I have further features I wanna add like opendelta and seedvault but good enough for now. The normal ports you see are piss easy, can be tricky tracking down issues with hardware in the base. I had a shit time because I used RR oreo and LineageOS updated and RR didn't so I needed to merge Los repos, which were very big and involved a lot of pieces. Its fun tho. The guy that developed before me (abandoned it in 2018) was Russia.
>>79683209
Imma say no. Most westerns are probably working and thus don't have time or juzt ignore the foss scene.
>>
>>79686698
>As soon as they get a good paying job, the ROMs always stop development
give some examples?
>>
>>79685185
>shit's so huge
Yeah its like 250 repos that come together at build time. Its so fucking massive and hard to navigate. Installing gentoo would be easier
>>
>>79683194
Wait, lineage OS is Indian?
Holy shit our nation is based
>>
File: contributors.png (932 KB, 1080x1080)
932 KB
932 KB PNG
>>79683194
You are mistaking LineageOS for XDA.
LineageOS is the most respectable custom ROM for Android. If you zoom in on pic related, you'll see the name of the contributors (kind of shitty quality, but still distinguishable). You'll have a hard time finding Indian names between them.
XDA is a forum dedicated for Android platform discussions. You'll find plenty of Indian ROM ""developers"", that just take an official build and rice it by modifying wallpapers, ring tones, settings, adding/removing apps and so on. XDA has become a meme because it's flooded by Indians that are very demanding and very loud (like the ones asking for VOLTE in every thread).
Tl, dr: only indians create android roms is fake news.
>>
so I'm retarded and know little about this stuff, installing something like lineage is not easy to mess up and isn't going to cause any real issues so long as it's a phone that's listed as supported right? does it have a decent map app?
>>
>>79688601
What rom did you make? Aex or Lineage?
>>
>>79689242
It's easy but not trivial, you just have to carefully follow the steps in the install guide. It's possible to mess-up and have to redo stuff, but it's very hard to get your device in an irrecoverable state.
If you install GApps, you can use Google Maps or any other app from the Google store.
>>
>>79689370
good to know, thanks. wouldn't using Google Maps somewhat defeat the point of using Lineage though? is there no decent open source map app out there?
>>
>>79689469
Most people use LineageOS with GApps for the features, security patches, updated Android version. It's okay skip GApps if you want to go Google free. Best open source map app is OsmAnd.
>>
>>79683194
I told a dev that their ROM wouldn't work because of a storage/disk related issue in 2013 or something so they fixed it by my suggestion, does that count?
>>
>>79689538
gotcha, I'll check that one out
>>
bump
>>
File: boot.png (482 KB, 1080x1920)
482 KB
482 KB PNG
The build for my phone is maintained by a couple of europe dudes
>>
>>79691362
LineageOS for POCO F1 (my phone) is maintained by a guy from Portugal.
>>
Galaxy note9 lineageos based.
>>
>>79688601
Are you actually white or are you just casting American as white
>>
I got a redmi note 9 pro, solid phone but there's no official or maintained build of lineageOS and all the other ROMs include gapps. I eventually settled for a pajeet Lineage ripoff with a few additional "features". Hopefully a good ungoogled ROM comes arounds oon.
>>
>>79691806
Meanwhile the redmi note 8 (not pro) has official lineageos support.
>>
>>79688601
>LineageOS updated and RR didn't
What if the device you are porting has no official support from either? Do you have to code a lot, then?
>>
>>79683194
Indians love their phones. Desktop computers and even laptops are too expensive for average Indian teenager, but everyone gets a phone anyway. So when they get chance they practice for the device that is the most widespread
>>
>>79691806
Cross your fingers and maybe they will skip directly to Android 11 LineageOS when it will be released.
>>
>>79683194
FEELING PARAUD INDIAN ARMY!!!
>>
>>79689728

It’s terrible. Just use magic earth. It’s close source but they supposedly don’t rape you with data collection.
>>
File: OsmAnd.png (165 KB, 1080x2246)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>>79692462
>OsmAnd
>data collection
what did she mean by that?
>>
The country with the largest english speaking population, the country with the largest computer software engineer, and the country with the largest computer tech jobs is India.
>>
>>79692569
Go poo in loo.
>>
>>79683194
I tried. But scouring the internet to find the necessary proprietary blobs for the incomplete device tree (after compilation fails multiple times), only for the final build to not boot, fucking sucks. Fuck android roms and fuck xiaomi.
>>
>>79689295
Resurrectionremix, its based on LOS but way more features
>>79691799
I am a white American, yes. I'm equal parts Norwegian, French and Bohemian.
>>79692357
What does it have support for? Mine doesnt have official support, just community support
>>
>>79693202
Community support only. The example device I was talking about was the samsung a31. The a51 has a treble gsi someone made, while the a71 has actual development going on. Those phones are too new still.
>>
>>79692815
Yet lineageos officially supports many xiaomi devices.
>>
Bump
>>
Samsung a31 vs a51 vs nokia 7.2 vs xiaomi redmi note 8? Which is the best for custom roms and hardware quality?
>>
>>79683506
only pakis and poos make a uptodate rom for my redmi kenzo
>>
>>79692552
Magic Earth. Do it.
https://www.magicearth.com/
>>
whats the difference between havoc os omnirom resurrection remix lineage os carbon rom liquid remix ?
>>
>>79696146
The features they're advertising are pretty cool, ngl. It's fishy that it's all for free, they're either very new and fishing for users, or they're gonna data mine the shit out of you. I like that they're having an office in my own town. Do you know what maps are they using?
>>
>>79696351
LineageOS is the OG, the others are based on it and they add/remove their own set of features. You need to check with them which are those special features.
>>
>>79686698
>Those "Indians" who do it are probably doing it out of competition for visas or something. As soon as they get a good paying job, the ROMs always stop development.
Confirmed. I was not doing android develpment but had a similar three or four year stint giving my time away on a popular open source project. It was entirely for the purpose of landing a job at one company in particular and it worked.
>not FAANG btw
also I am only half indian so fuck off
>>
>>79688840
The entire world software development is majority our work. How could you not know this?
>>
>>79689051
Don't take this from me you anglo bastard.
>>
>>79696606
Check privacy policy.

They are using OpenStreetMap.
>>
>>79683194
Frog here. I did some work on the android rom scene in 2009-12 and it was a lot of ameriburgers and vairous euros. Nobody else has the wealth or welfare to waste their time on such projects.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.