So apparently a retard has a hard drive with a password (or a wallet with a password?) and 240 milions worth of buttcoins on it.If he guesses the pass wrong 2 more times, he's fucked.BUT what's stopping him from cloning 1:1 his hard drive, and then trying the password again on the clone, then wiping that extra drive, and cloning it again, and so on and so on?
>>79677225It might very well be a tamper proof hardware ledger that just nukes itself.
the encription on the hard drive prevents him from making a copy of itbrainlets overly obsessed with security end up fucking themselves
>>79677225>not using a password manager.He has no-one to blame.
So it's one of these: https://www.ironkey.com/en-US/encrypted-storage-drives/ Do these things know when they're being cloned?
>>79677234This, OP is just retarded
>>79677324not as retarded as the almost-millionaire from the article.
>>79677314>know when they're being clonedYou cannot clone them
>>79677234>>79677260explain it to meapparently apple uses security chips to prevent such cloning of iphones to increase their security, yet various groups of hackers sell devices to law enforcement that often work on cloning them to break the passcode as cheap as 15k
>>79677225Play stupid games, win stupid prizesThe guy in OP's article just won the big deal of the day.
>>79677225i'm probably retarded, but couldn't he just decrypt it?
>>79677376Real life isn't Hollywood
>>79677361Explain to me what steps you would take to clone it then.
>>79677361An iPhone you still physically can tamper with and just desolder the chips which is done all the time for data recovery off a physically fucked iPhone.If I take the security chip and flash chips in an enclosure and fill it top to bottom with epoxy good luck getting to them without destroying them in the process and that's just a very brute force approach god knows what the fuck kind of device the guy in the story used.
>>79677314those 10 tries are just being retarded and dont add any security (to your bitcoins)if bitcoin access could be bruteforced by any realistic number of tries, it wouldnt be secure to begin with i know those tries dont refer to bitcoin private keys but some key of the drive, but if some cryptography is not secure enough for any realistic number of tries than its shit
>>79677283>not using pasword123
>>79677433>>79677314That kind of device, by what the article says.https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/jan/12/in-bits-the-programmer-locked-out-of-his-130m-bitcoin-account
>>79677314>Do these things know when they're being cloned?What makes you think they can be cloned in the first place? If the flash isn't accessible by the controller before the cryptochip gives authorization what are you gonna clone? And I doubt this thing isn't epoxied shut or has some physical killswitch to encrypt everything if the enclosure is damaged.
>>79677457>not using 321password for your password managerngmi
>>79677225This is why I always say: It's ok to be stupid but it's NOT ok to be a retard
>>79677509thanks for the buttcoins
>>79677540>He actually thinks that's my passwordHaha faggot my password is actually hunter2
>>79677473Didn't find much but what I said still applies. They don't say exactly what it is they're doing but if you enter the password wrong 10 times or it's physically tampered with it either deletes itself or encrypts itself again making it not literally but effectively impossible to recover anything from so the guy is absolutely fucked.
>>79677509holy shit this is big brain, no one would ever think of writing 123 backwards when trying to guess
thats why ive been using the same 2 passwords since i was like 14and yes, they are about as cool as all the usernames people get stuck with that they choose at that age
OP's image looks like goatse.cx
>>79677225>Not using the same password everywhere>Not writing it downHe was basically asking for it.
>>79677225So at minimum they were worth $14,000 when he got them. How do not keep better track of the password for something with that much value.
>>79677493you remove the components containing the data and replace the controller physically.
>>79677493>or has some physical killswitch to encrypt everything if the enclosure is damaged.It can't encrypt anything if it is turned off.The data must be already encrypted.
>>79677225>not using "Password12345!" as your password for everything.
>>79677225this is why you should always write them down somewhere, i dont care if you have to bury it in a box in your yard, it prevents costly mistakes like this
good, fuck him
>>79677421couldn't you just use a hardware duplicator? You can get one for ~500 bucks maybe even cheaper. Maybe this is something the LockPicking Lawyer would be interested in
>>79677225Just use a hardware hdd/usb duplicator. They cost ~100-500$. They have no interaction with a OS. I'm sure if you could duplicate a device then you could attempt more password guesses. I don't think there is a safe way to guard your data once someone has access to your physical device unless you have locks lel.
>>79679473I hope you dont work with computers
>>79679553what do you think encryption is for
>>79679227Guess where the key is stored.
>>79679553It's not a normal usb drive, read the thread.
lets be real, for 200m guy could reverse engineer whole security chip and clone the shit thousand times and it still wouldnt help him if he forgot the password
Here's a quick rundown from the ex-CEO of ironkey
>>79677225This tard should just wait ten years until the tech caught up to crack it.
>>79677225Ironically had he put a note with the password in a safety deposit box at his local bank he could have avoided this.
>>79677225he can't copy the salt... unless he's hacker 4chan... he should look for me. I will take a 50% cut
>>79677457>not using hackme123
I bet this is all just viral marketing for the company that makes IronKeyNow they can say "look retards, our device is so good, you never need to worry about people stealing your shitcoins"prove me wrong. you won't.
>>79677225whats the point of this shit?just veracrypt regular usb stick with your shitcoin keys
>>79677376...in 100 years
guy could still monetize it by selling it as investment, 100% sure he would find some retard believing it is actual bc wallet and marketing scam
>>79679595If you can grab a copy of the NAND then it's game over for the data. If you know the encryption algorithm this thing uses, that is. And assuming that it does not use a secret salt.If it does, maybe try scraping off layers of the controller until you can make an image of the ROM with an electron microscope?Though at this point... I mean wtf are you even doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPnYwYuZXoThe solution is actually pretty obvious.
>>79677433This. But it's a good example of a failure of security. Security is often a bigger danger to the user than what it is supposed to protect from. Terry really was right.
>>79677352This lmao. Why he didn't just use some kind of key he could make backups of is beyond m- (((webdev)))
>>79681935Examples, assuming normie user:Install antivirus?- 80% chance the antivirus does nothing. Lost $100.- 15% chance antivirus causes problems that prevents the user from doing things. 5% chance the antivirus protects from something.Install OS updates?50% chance the update breaks something, removes something or slows device down40% Chance it does nothing10% chance update renders device inoperable0.01% chance update protects user from something serious
>>79681746>I mean wtf are you even doingRetrieving £175m. I'ld had without doubt tried every possible way if that was the prize.
>>79677225if it's some HSM bullshit, I'd send it to some professionals to tamper it.
>>79680863because larpers don't trust their os to not be CIANiggered and use these ass backward backflipping indirecting bs like these ledgers. just like how people use these meme like devices for stupid shit like MFA, WebAuthN, etc.
>>79679738Love the public subtle jab at who they sold it to.>It will be impossible unless it's the new version which is after I left and, subsequently, shite
>>79681746thanks for getting a trip so I can filter you. most uninteresting wannabe-oldfaggot tripnigger in a long time. nobody gives a shit that you use slackware my dude
>>79677438>but if some cryptography is not secure enough for any realistic number of tries than its shitYou cannot fully predict the grow in the power of computers in the future.Having a limit on the number of tries is the only way you can guarantee security against bruteforce attacks in the long term.
>>79679473Yeah I keep it right next to my sonic screwdriver
>>79677376cracking a 128bit key with everything single personal computer of the planet at the same time takes longer than the current estimated age of the universe
>>79677225I just need to crack his ram to access his computer's terminal node and I will be IN
>>79677225thought it was goatse from the thumbnail
Probably cp on there too. Why else would you need to encrypt your shit.
>>79677376if he coudl decrypt his hard drives it would make the bitcoins on the drive worthless