[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: programmer-dvorak.png (42 KB, 900x300)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
Is there a keyboard layout more optimized for programming than Programmer Dvorak?
>>
dvorak is shit
use colemak
>>
>common symbols on the number keys instead of layer 3 on home row
>optimized
kek
>>
>>79675407
having the keys squared, rather than slanted?
>>
File: 1609838681124.gif (1.89 MB, 462x427)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB GIF
how the fuck do you even use this with vim
>>
>>79675543
Normally? I don't see the problem
>>
>>79675543
J and K are right next to each other and on strong fingers. H is also on a strong finger. The only problem is the L key, which is on the pinky.
Other than HJKL, most Vim keys are mnemonic so they work about as well on Dvorak as on QWERTY.
>>
File: 1588078709888.jpg (55 KB, 960x784)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>ANSI keyboard
c r i n g e
>>
>>79675543
>>79675794
bindings
>>
Why waste time learning an entire new layout after years of getting used to qwerty just to eventually type faster (after a long time of typing slower or the same speed as qwerty) when in reality you just actually type for a small amount of time
>>
If you ever use a friend's pc or have to let people use your own, there's no good reason to leave qwerty. Hell good luck getting a laptop with dvorak.
>>
>>79676362
>good luck getting a laptop with dvorak.
Wdym? Keyboard layout is changed in software.
>>
>>79675817
ISO enter is pure retardation. I'm in Europe and I make sure all my keyboards are ANSI
>>
>>79675407
>{}[]() on number row
>retarded number layout that makes it harder to find the numbers you need
>ctrl+Z, ctrl+S, ctrl+V, ctrl+C on the right hand instead of the left hand
>all vowels on the same hand
why do people use this shit?
>>
>>79677750
Good for typing Lisp and C++
>>
>>79677878
not as good as ansi qwerty
>>
>>79678011
QWERTY forces you to use shift a lot for symbols
>>
>>79678551
shift+[ for { is closer than pressing 3, also [] are next to each other instead of each being in one hand.
The only problem I have with QWERTY is the fact that () are on shift+9 and shift+0, but at least they are the only two on the number row.
Also, this keyboard is useless to type numbers without a numpad. Good luck typing a number with more than 1 digit with it.
>>
>>79679014
kek I changed my name to post on >>79676020 and forgot to clear it
>>
>>79675407
Yes, QWERTY, the one that is standardized and doesn't require you to spend weeks relearning how to type, then requiring you to create custom keybindings for every single program you ever use and carry your own custom keyboard everywhere you go because literally 0 people use dvorak.
>>
>>79679364
>requiring you to create custom keybindings for every single program you ever use
You don't need to do that
>>
>>79677597
The Bri'ish aren't European
It literaIly lacks a key, how would you type with our based extra letters?
>>
>>79679560
?
Which key?
>>
>>79676055
Autism. But QWERTY is certainly inferior. It's certainly worth it if you type a lot, and i mean like an entire day of typing every day. Dealing with layouts and fucking around with layers to create a somewhat decent one is a pain in the ass if you only type a few sentences.
>>79679364
You've never actually used an alternate layout have you? In fact i would go as far as saying that you can't type without looking at the keys.
>>
>>79679364
>carry your own custom keyboard everywhere
lmao what. what are you even doing on /g/
>>
>>79675543
The Primeagen uses it with Vim no problem. Most keys are even better placed compared to QWERTY. You'll have to learn a few new things though: using t instead of f, using e instead of w, etc.
>>
>>79680265
Whats your language wtf
I can only think italian. Im a Spamiard
I need the tilde to write áéíóú and also ü. plus one other key for ñ
The ñ is right beside the L and the Ñ is right beside the tilde. Press tilde key (seemingly nothing happens) then press vowel, tada! It appears.
Now the Anglo keyboard uses these for symbols we have to use on the extra key. In ANSI I can't write < nor > which is a nightmare while programming. Normally it is right between shift and Z.
>>
>>79680557
Ah, now I get it. I think using the tilde is pretty unusual, generally people use the right alt key (AltGr) to enter diacritics
>>
>>79680557
>In ANSI I can't write < nor > which is a nightmare while programming.
Shift+dot and Shift+comma
>>
File: 20210113_152729.jpg (73 KB, 720x521)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>79680608
Seems very impractical.
Id need to press three keys per accented letter, one of which is long pressed.
> the tilde is pretty unusual,
It is not in most civilized countries. Plus mine are easy. French also needs àáéè etc plus the çÇ and ocassionally the œ. Portuguese is the same as French, minus the œ.
Catalans use the same keyboard as us, poles go fucking nuts with diacritics, etc.
English is pretty much the only one. Which I think is a negative and overall an inconvenience, as English naturally has 10-12 vowels which is more than German.
Germans use the three keys that surround the p for äöü. By themselves.

For phones we long press the vowels a bit more and it turns into accented, without sliding or anything. The Ñ is perfectly positioned, taking wasted space of the Anglo keyboard
Pic rel is long pressed "a"
>>79680645
Thats for English. Those give me ; and : which for you is where the Ñ is.
>>
>>79680785
A funny thing is, as you get UK and US English, we get Spaniard and US Spanish.
the US is unironically the second country with most speakers, more than ANY other country, other than México. Even more than in here Spain.
>>
>>79680785
>Seems very impractical. Id need to press three keys per accented letter, one of which is long pressed.
I don't understand why you consider it impractical, you just need to press a letter while holding right alt. In Poland we just use the American keyboard layout and do diacritics that way.
Without alt: aelnoszx
With alt: ąęłńóśżź
>>
>>79680843
We only need 2 letters. Or rather 1 and a half. The Ñ and one without shift that does the tilde.
No wonder Polish is hard to write, must take you ages to write a sentence. Here we dont write a second slower than English.
So basically that one extra letter is in that ISO layout. ANSI complicates shit to no end. When I had an ANSI keyboard i had to Fn+Space all the time to reach the <>, and had to try bindings, with mixed results.
>>
>>79680926
>No wonder Polish is hard to write, must take you ages to write a sentence.
Haha, it's really not. Plus I think Polish is a bit more concise than English
>>
>>79680843
Look better do this and report back. Google "ANSI Español". Find me a sticker for Spanish in full ANSI
>>
>>79675407
Maltron Keyboard Layout
>>
>>79675543
with late stage autism, same as with 90% of the thinks /g/ droll over
>>
>>79681931
>the thinks
Better late stage autism than late stage retardation
>>
>>79682063
of course I'm retarded, I'm on /g/ after all
>>
>>79681045
Ok that may actually be even better. Do you use it?
>>
>>79675407
>>
>>79680785
Spaniard here, I've used ç maybe once and I'm livint in Barcelona ATM
ofc it's nice that {} are side by side, but ç is pure waste
>>
>>79676055
I learned colemak in about a month.
>>
File: 1608488436284.png (121 KB, 255x316)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>doing this stupid shit instead of getting an ortholineair keyboard
>>
>>79683725
i never used ç
why would i? im castillian

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.