[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1609883387458.jpg (183 KB, 1000x593)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
Why are physical books so much more superior than digital files and e-readers technologically?
>>
>>79669293
Because even a retard can pick up a book.
>>
>>79669293
stop making this thread faggot
>>
>>79669293
Psycho-somatic response to "feeling" the pages
And digital is great for shit you cant easily get/afford
>>
>>79669293

Harder to memory hole. Easier to read.
>>
test
>>
>>79669293
>t. bookshelf of someone who never reads
>>
>>79669293
People have read physically pressed/drawn/printed text on a physical medium for thousands of years. Faggots have been reading on cuck screens for tens of years.

Do the math
>>
Same reason putting a CD into a CD player or a Blu-Ray into your PS5 does, its nice to physically hold something rather than just know you own a license to view it digitally.
>>
Bloat.
>>
>>79669946
Ah yes the tactility of removing discs from boxes
>>79669883
Do you get your news from newspapers?
>>
Books are robust
Ereaders are fragile
>>
>>79669946
PS5 games are just physical licenses anon. But otherwise I agree.
>>
>>79670098
>Do you get your news from newspapers?
Unironically, getting news from newspapers and magazines means getting 'curated' news. If it's printed that means someone reviewed it. Therefore, you can expect at least basic level of quality. As opposed to the internet, which is quantity over quality, all sorts of made up news, and dumb and pointless rants by "journalists", or 5 minute crafts of any field. The same about books.
>>
books are drm free
paper is easier to read than screens
books work offline and without power
you can buy used books
books smell nice
more information is retained from reading books than from reading screens
>>
>>79669293
You can hide your real books under your bed if bookstores ban them and they get pulled off kindle.
>>
>>79671092
this.
>>
>Why are physical books so much more superior

They're only superior for interior decorating and signaling your status. In every other way, they are a cumbersome waste of material, space and especially money.

Most people, even here, are just braindead consumers that get excited every time they order a book from amazon and put it on a stack next to their bed. The pleasure they receive from books comes from owning an object, it doesn't even matter what's inside the book, as long as the cover and the author signal a certain appearance. They own the entirety of Kant's bibliography and while they have not read him yet, the mere fact that they own the printed material is proof enough that they are, at least, determined to understand him and belong to a different and certainly higher social class.

These people are most elated when a house guest inquires about their bookcase or they catch someone on the train peeking at their cover. "Reading", or more precisely, "owning" books is just a surrogate activity for these chums to get some amount of social approval, hopelessly trying to re-live the couple times their mom or substitute teacher praised them for being so gifted and smart.

Digital books are simply superior in every way, when it comes to actually reading and taking in knowledge. It strips away all the fluff around the book and reduces it to its fundamental value - information. They are not popular amongst consumers because the information was never what they were after in the first place. Owning a kindle with a thousand books on it just doesn't have the same effect, it doesn't really say anything about my worldly personality like a statue in front of heavy doorstoppers. On the train, people are probably going to think I'm browsing facebook like any other plebian instead of pondering the most complicated philosophies.
>>
>>79671371
based. books are just funko pops for midwits
>>
>>79671371
>consider the following:
e-readers are botnet
>>
>>79669293
>Why are physical books so much more superior than digital files and e-readers technologically?

Infinite battery life.
>>
>>79669293
>have physical books
>bugs eat the paper
>have e-books
>bitrots
there's no winning. take the stone tablet pill.
>>
imagine still paying for books
>>
>>79671371
based, whenever someone explains physical books with "feels" I instantly know they're full of shit
>>
>>79671437
Digital books are just files. The botnet is a feature of the device, not the books in themselves. You can relatively easily acquire an air-gapped device and use it for reading, if you really cared about that kind of shit.
>>
>>79671371
this but i actually read Kant
>>
>>79671521
most anything with an e-ink display (required for matching the feel of a book) is going to require proprietary blobs. books don't have any.
honestly i'd only prefer a pdf if it's of a textbook or technical manual or some shit. books are simply more comfy and i don't particularly care if you consider me a midwit for thinking so.
>>
File: girl.png (615 KB, 1080x1080)
615 KB
615 KB PNG
>>79669293
DPI
>>
>>79671437
Are there really no good e-readers? They sound like such shitty and simplistic devices, why hasn't no one tapped into the free as in freedom market yet?
>>
>>79671579
come to think of it, there might've been one, it had a pcb with a bunch of descriptions of everything it does printed on it. was pretty cool but i can't remember the name.
>>
Because AI cant rewrite all books in a day
>>
File: 87879+.jpg (2.22 MB, 2000x1435)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>79669293
* teleports behind you *
> nothing personnel, kid
>>
>>79671371
That sums up American culture
>>
>>79669946
I own all my e books digitally, I pirate all of them.
>>
>>79671489
Clay tablets have lasted for almost ten thousand years. If that's not proven technology, I don't know what is.
>>
>>79669293
It's comfy and easier to read.
>>
>>79671092
This.
And most importantly, the government/corpos/stasi would have to break into my home to edit/memory hole/censor the books that have already been printed and I own.

With e-readers you either have to put up with DRM and the threat of censorship and deletion, or you have to put up with bypassing DRM. All of which is a hassle I don't want or need to put up with.

Also, I read fiction books before bed because they help me sleep, the fact that I am reading on paper, with a warm lamp helps me relax.
That feeling is completely lost on a screen, especially a backlit one, just as bad as looking at a phone.
>>
>>79671371
You are full of shit, I've read all the books I own and I don't care what other people think of my literary tastes. Physical books feel better, period.
Just like having sex with a real woman feels better than jerking off with a fleshlight while ERPing with a tranny in VR.
You are a poseur and seethe because people would rather own physical books than a pozzed botnet e-reader.
>>
Color-coding kuukk
>>
>>79670323
Can't you loan disks anymore? I used to borrow many PS4 games from my friends which was nice.
>>
>>79669293
because books have a nice smell.
>>
>>79671579
Boox is the way of the future, just android with e-ink
>>
>>79671586
>>79671579

I'm not sure if this is 100% free-as-in-freedom, but this is the closest I'm aware of:

https://hackaday.io/project/168761-the-open-book-feather
>>
>>79673600
Sounds like you got triggered hard and now you're compensating by lying to anonymous strangers on the Internet. I'm sure one of these days a girl is going to be very impressed by seeing you read Plato on the train and take your virginity, just like in your daydreams.
>>
>>79674675
>massive image files and lower quality
*or lower quality. I'm not sure how many people here bother with digital comics but it's a decently big market which I think has some caveats. I'm not too fussed about prose books. I think there are fewer drawbacks so I don't mind digital prose too much.
>>
Until we have literal perfect to print quality instead of just whatever the highest is at this time like 4K or whatever it just isn't same when it comes to comics.
I have some digital stuff and you get massive image files or lower quality. Page flow also gets fucked up for comics on screens. Comixology has dynamic zooming in but I can just pick up a book and follow the page myself
>>
>>79669293
you can super read easier
>>
>>79671092
>books are drm free
All of my books are DRM free too, are you retarded or something?
>paper is easier to read than screens
Maybe for some people, I don't know, I prefer eink because I can read it in complete dark, which is comfy.
>books work offline and without power
Ebooks work offline too. And yeah, you need to charge your kindle every 2-4 weeks depending on how much you use it.
>you can buy used books
You can get all ebooks for literally 0 dollars.
>books smell nice
Wait until you smell my ass
>more information is retained from reading books than from reading screens
If we are talking about textbooks, then nothing beats printed books, that is true. I always highlight stuff in textbooks, make notes, turn pages, etc., which are extremely uncomfortable to do digitally. For everything else, however, I prefer ebooks.
>>
>>79669293

It's going to be different for everyone, but for me the benefits:

Practical:

>Retain information easier with physical books
>Better suited to reference books that are intended to be flipped between and annotated rather than read cover-to-cover
>Better suited for visual books, particularly ones with large detailed diagrams
>Seeing books on my shelf I haven't read makes me more tempted to read them, whereas digital listings I haven't read don't do the same (and will probably end up getting deleted at some point because of limited space on the device)
>Not all books have a digital version, or the digital version could be rarer or more expensive than the physical copy (I'll grant that the reverse is often tue as well though)
>If shit hits the fan and society loses access to the internet and/or electricity then books can still be used whilst e-books will run out of power

Shallow and materialistic, but none the less true:

>Looks nice on a shelf, and a study room looks bare without bookshelves
>Feels rewarding to build up a collection, particularly when buying rarer books
>Certain editions of books can be beautifully illustrated, leather-bound, gilt/deckle edged, etc
>Old books have extra sentimental value, especially if passed from friends/family
>Whilst I don't care much about the smell of individual books, the smell of a room full of books is pleasant for some reason
>Can make you appear or feel more intellectual/cultured
>Can be interesting to see the bookcases of others

That being said I would switch to e-reading as my primary reading if this device existed:

>Colour
>Dual-screen with the form-factor of a book (similar to the eOneBook)
>Available in multiple sizes for different use-cases
>Fully free-as-in-freedom
>SD-card slot
>Replacable battery
>Ability to stream books from NAS so I'm not limited to what's on the device
>Fast, able to zoom in and out and navigate PDFs seamlessly
>>
>>79673534
>And most importantly, the government/corpos/stasi would have to break into my home to edit/memory hole/censor the books
There are money paper books already censored and not obtainable in paper from. You still can get digital versions of them. You still can supply other with these digital books if they ask. How many of you own typography?
>>
>>79671491
your brain on freetard
>>
>>79669856
>Oh no, hardbacks! No one reads those!
Poorfag detected.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.