[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: HR_makes_an_appearance.jpg (191 KB, 500x667)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
Whats the comfiest /g/ job?
Im almost finished with my degree in Computing (Not CS, no real CS course in my area (rural UK)) and looking into career paths.
I like all areas, software/web dev, networking, sys admin, security.
Can you give me some pointers about the areas (and if you work in the area some expected roles/responsibilites)?
>>
>>78819284
Best jobs are always outside your comfort zone.
>>
>>78819284
Forklift Operator (Certified)
>>
>>78819299
+1 for forklifts. Drive around half the day, hang out and drink coffee the other half. If your forklift has a stereo, bring an aux cable and listen to your tunes.
>>
work from home as a software or web dev
>>
>>78819299
>>78820127
Forklift Chads unite. I drive a fork for a union shop, one of the big 3 American car companies. Make good money doing it. Make more than my code monkey friend and don't have to deal with being "on call" like he does.

IT jobs are a trap.
>>
>>78820146
Aren't there dangers associated with forking, why is the pay so high?
>>
>>78820212
Yes if you dont check the right PID you can crash the whole system
>>
>>78820212
>Aren't there dangers associated with forking
depends on where you work and what you're lifting. I lift metal crates of car parts all day. If done improperly, there's always a chance the load can fall off the forks and land on someone. I regularly move literal tons of a stuff at a time in regards to weight and that could easily flatten someone to a pancake were it to fall over. Then there's also stuff like chemicals. We process car batteries (used and returns as well as new) and the acid is really dangerous. If you're moving the 55 gallon drums of acid into the back of a dedicated disposal truck, you have to check the floor for leaks to ensure acid hasn't been eating the bottom of the trailer. Otherwise the forklift will fall right through the trailer and you'll have a bunch of drums (of more acid) falling on top of you. Other stuff too like petroleum based products, anything with vapors like paint or paint thinner, and of course combustible/explosive stuff.

You have to get trained on how to do the job as well as certified to handle these chemicals which is job security because it takes a while to train and certify a person for this stuff which means warehouses really don't want to get rid of their workers too often. And in the even you're in the market for a similar job but somewhere else, places fight over you because of your experience and certs/training. That means less downtime for them before they can truly put you to work.

It pays so well because of all these what-if scenarios and I'm union. Non union jobs like this still pay around $21-$25 per hour.
>>
>>78820302
>I'm union
Why are American workers so against unions? Don't they like better pay and job security? Over here the thought of a forklifter without union is silly, I've literally never met one.
>>
>>78820472
>Why are American workers so against unions
unions had their place back in the day until they started getting insanely greedy. The UAW (United Auto Workers) union is under heavy scrutiny because of money embezzlement and other such related charges. Corruption is abound within these huge faceless unions all while they charge near $100 a month just for existing. We also don't have a "right to work" clause in my state, so you can't work in a union shop unless you join the union. As for better pay and security, it's not always. More often than not, the union moves in and gets your pay raised just enough to cover their union dues while you don't see any more in your check and the union will often be in bed with the company owner(s) so as to have the entire union thrown out. I've seen more people stepped on by my local UAW than helped.

From a business owner perspective, unions are sort of a slap in the face because a union implies that the vast majority of your employees think they're not being treated fairly and that's not always the case. Bad unions are why ALL unions now have such a negative stigma about them.
>>
>>78819284
youtubing, gay for pay, larping as an anime girl being a vtuber
>>
>>78820146
Really? Glassdoor lists forklift salaries topping out around 30k. How much do you make?
>>
>>78820555
>gay for pay
I've done that except it wasn't pay, it was for an A in my mathematics course. That professor really had some pent up rage man I'll tell you.
>>
>>78819293
And that's why i'm a neet
>>
>>78820579
>Glassdoor lists forklift salaries topping out around 30k
depends on the area and the type of forklift work you're in charge of. I make around $31/hour. Near $65k a year before taxes. I also get full medical, dental, and eye care paid by the company. This figure also doesn't include stuff like the various bonus checks we get throughout the year. Performance bonuses, profit sharing, etc. Not to mention over time. I've had a few years where I cleared close to $120k just from working the shit loads of overtime being crammed down my throat. IRS audited me and everything because it was suspicious.
>>
>>78820472
I can offer a historical perspective on this, as someone who runs an Appalachia based non-profit, and have talked the history to death with many old folks in and around the mining business. As far as coal companies go you are half right. union jobs have way better job security, but the pay was way worse. Not like 10% worse, unionists were paid a little over half of what non union folks were paid in the Ohio Valley. Union workers had far more stable hours by then, usually because union companies were under provision to provide steady work as a part of the union contract, if they were able to provide work at all. Smaller, non union mines would have boom and bust hours, where some weeks you might not be able to work at all, and some weeks there was an expectation that you'd be hauling rocks for 70 hours. The reason for this was largely that huge mining operations out west did (and still do, as far as coal is still mined) control the price of coal, and went through large periods where they would dump literal megatons of coal onto the market, sinking the price of coal. During those periods, non-union mines wouldn't operate. When the prices rose back up after the market adjusted, the mines would get back to work and sell while the selling was good. Union mines had to eat the losses during those periods in order to provide steady work.
>>
>>78820618
Goddamn, assuming you're not larping your dev friend is getting a truly shit deal
>>
>>78819284
>UK
>Local being relevant
So you jus failed to get into a good Uni and ended up doing some worthless course in the third rate polytechnic down the street?

At least it's not open university. Still, sounds like you wasted your time.
>>
>>78820656
well the one caveat is that I'm maxed out. Unless our union negotiates a higher pay scale by some miracle with the company, I'll be at this pay scale forever. My friend makes around $55k a year, is the bitch of the office, and constantly on call even on his days off. However he has room to climb the ladder and make more as he progresses. He also has the opportunity to get a much larger profit sharing check because of how his contract works. So if his job does really well like it did last year, he gets a literal $12k bonus.

It's give and take. At the end of the day, I'm just a wage slave who operates machinery. The plus side is I get to just show up, do my job, go home, there's nothing else to worry about. The only things I need to consider are start time, lunch time, end time, and payday. Where as my friend is always on the hook for something. Deadlines, what his group has to accomplish, any changes the client may want, and so on. He always seems stressed way the fuck out while I'm straight chilling. Funnily enough, I have a bachelor's degree in network administration lol.
>>
>>78820555
Is the v-tuber shit actually worth getting into
>>
IT Support technician here.
When it is good it is great, when it is shit it is fucking terrible.
I get payed well and get a ton of bonuses.
There are weeks where I do nothing and weeks where I feel like walking about the door and moving to Italy.
My co workers and boss are great.
Some teams meetings can go on for hours and they can be us talking about video games.

The biggest cons with my job is
>1 hour commute for a job I could and have done at home.
>All of my co workers are boomer workaholics who work free overtime and don't understand that my job isn't my life.
>People calling me directly at 6 am, after work hours and weekends.
>Those same people who get really buttmad that I don't answer them until I am sitting at my desk again even though they are not suppose to contact me directly.
>>
>>78820589
I hope you are larping but assuming you aren't how would you even know that your professor is gay in the first place?
>>
>>78820971
you kinda just pick up on it over time. I'd catch him staring at me on occasion then doing the whole "quick look away and pretend I wasn't looking at them" thing that girls like to do. I also took a chance. That math class was one of the last things I needed to graduate so I figured I'm failing it no matter what (due to absences) so might as well ask him if there's anything I can do to pass. I made sure to emphasize the word anything.
>>
>>78819293
What is this boot licking slave mentality?
>>
>>78819284
I'm just glad that helmet will protect her hair.
>>
>>78821032
What does his post have to do with boot licking? What's the fun in remaining in your comfort zone? How does that push what you can do? How does that push how you can influence the world around you?

Surely you're not so scared of the unknown that you only want to do the familiar? And surely you're not so hopeless that you've given up on work being anything other than slavery?
>>
>>78820472
Globalization makes unions obsolete in the US. Why bother negotiating with a union when the workers in Mexico will work for a quarter as much and not complain.
>>
>>78820647
Interdasting
>>
File: cat_derp.jpg (19 KB, 500x499)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
I hate idea of developer, networking seems boring as fuck

sysadmin and security sounds best fun

can break you if you got shit job where you are desktop support monkey for 100 people while also being sysadmin

can be comfy easy job with lot of time for project and playing on with servers and solutions if you got a lucky spot
>>
>>78819284
consultant architect
nobody knows what I do
everybody thinks I'm mission critical
apparently I boost morale and everything is going much faster when I'm around
haven't lifted a finger since about january
>>
>>78821138
how come you have a government that lets a foreign workforce dump your wages
>>
i would love to be a consultant or project manager but that job is 100% office politics bullshit hellhole
probably web dev or sys admin or both
as long as your manager chill you playing around with server automation shit. making susan from HR fired because the system you created/proposed automated it
>>
>>78820757
Maybe 6 months ago. Now the well is so polluted its not worth it anymore
>>
Contracting at a boomer company. Just chill and no one knows what the hell you're doing and how long it's supposed to take.
>>
>>78822034
Dang, sounds nice
does it pay well?
>>
>>78822128
if I were to get my full billing rate that would be amazing
after the first company gets its cut, and the second company gets its cut, and the government gets its cut... ..eh

above average but nothing to call home about. wage seems to be directly proportional to the size of your mouth.
>>
>>78821100
Animals are a creature of habit, humans aren't
>>
>>78819284
Coom coordinator
>>
>>78819284
I have a Language Arts Degree and I have a job keeping an unflexible hot air balloon gay.
>>
>>78821100
It's called autism. If you're looking for well adjusted individuals, then you're on the wrong Chinese cartoons forum.
>>
>>78820146
LMAO chuds
>>
>>78820707

I fork for a freight company and we max at 27, although there's usually a cost of living increase each year.
That's kind of why I'm trying to get into IT, for the hope of being able to move up in the world some day.
In the mean time though, it's not a bad job to have at all.
>>
>>78823733
even the starting full time wage for forklift drivers at my work is over 40k. We're in a city that tends to have higher wages though
>>
File: Bon.jpg (303 KB, 1200x1181)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>78824116
>bragging about making OVER 40k
My first job was a low stress brainlet excel spreadsheet (with some scripting on the side) job and I made twice that
>>
>>78824140
I'm saying that his chart was wrong.
Also I don't believe you.
>>
File: 1586240034300.jpg (68 KB, 750x524)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>
I have twelve years of laboring and forklift operation at a garbage dump just got a helpdesk role thinking about going back into forklifting
>>
>>78824283
is it automatic or do you have to push
>>
>>78824470
automatic (which makes the job even easier)
>>
>>78824206
Being a business analyst is easy ass shit, and most of the business grads are complete brainlets so if you know very basic scripting you look like a genius
>>
>>78824283
This is why brown countries will never be a superpower. They just try to replicate what they see in developed countries. They see hand sanitizers and emply a low caste nigger to walk around distributing hand sanitizer. However, everyone has to be within caughing radius of this guy and could easily infect him. He would then function as a walking superspreader infecting everyone wants to sanitize his or her hands. This is so fucking retarded and poos need to kill themselves.
>>
>>78819299
Is it easy to learn? I don't even have a drivers license. I fear that I'll run some dude's foot over
>>
>>78825570
Basic forklifting is pretty easy, it took me about a week to get comfy and competent driving each of the models I drive (stacker you stand on, reach stacker (sideways driving), counterweight forklift), but I did have a driver's license. I've seen people who were natural drivers on their first day, and I've seen people I was scared to be near even after a month. It's not really a difficult job, as long as you're attentive and keep your eyes open you'll be fine.

Certified driver is a different matter. You'll spend a fair bit of time studying and taking tests on hazardous materials, it's a lot of rote memorisation to learn to read the safety codes and signs. In exchange you get better pay and more respect from your bosses. It's also the kind of skill some companies are willing to negotiate higher salaries to poach you for. Forklifting without a certificate is pretty much bottom tier, you can basically be replaced by anyone. With a certificate, it's a career (though without good prospects for advancing beyond being a team manager).

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.