[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1605135269547.jpg (94 KB, 692x610)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>Read the sticky: >>76759434

>GNU/Linux questions >>>/g/fglt

>Windows questions >>>/g/fwt

>PC building? >>>/g/pcbg

>Programming questions >>>/g/dpt

>Good, cheap, laptops >>>/g/tpg

>Cheap electronics? >>>/g/csg

>Buying headphones >>>/g/hpg

>How to activate any version of Windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
https://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
https://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Previous: >>78789410
>>
>>78818371
Hello /g/. I'm running a raspberry pi nas through wifi. Yes I know that it's dumb.
The problem is that I don't have access to ethernet ports, only wifi. Because the speed from wifi is really unreliable and slow, is there any poorfag friendly way to to do something like a wifi to lan forwarder?
>>
>>78818371
Can someone give me a rundown of what Spark and EMR are used for in AWS
>>
how do i make ffmepeg output a file as clip.mp4 and if it already exists output it as clip1.mp4 and next time clip2.mp4 and so on?
>>
How can I download videos that are embedded using JW player?
>>
File: 1574605679085.png (2.91 MB, 1434x2880)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB PNG
any way I can check the weather from the command line without using a botnet webpage with a bunch of JS bloat?

I used to use Weather Underground's telnet server but it's been broken for like a year. there's also wttr.in but that seems to be down at the moment too.
>>
File: 1574983504235.jpg (58 KB, 640x748)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>78818593
Did you try ansiweather?
>>
>>78818639
I hadn't heard of it before, actually, but it looks like what I want. thanks anon
>>
>>78818685
No problem, I used it for a few days last time wttr.in was down
>>
Are AMD CPU any good with Linux now? I remember that they used to have drivers issues. I was looking at new laptops and a lot of reviews are recommending AMD powered laptop for their value/power.
Don't want to have to fuck around to get stuff to work on AMD if I can avoid it. Shoud I stick with intel?
>>
>>78819153
I've had no issues with either Zen+ or Zen2.
>>
File: 323534.jpg (53 KB, 870x639)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I'm thinking about picking up a switch for some emulation and general portable gaming.
Can it still be hacked and can you load full games on it?
Is there something better for the price? (sorry I mostly hang out on /out/ and /tv/)
>>
>>78818371
Other thread is going nowhere so

I just switched to an AMD gpu the other day and dialed in my screen calibration only to discover that even a simple brightness adjustment through AMD's software can cause random hard shutdowns. I've dialed in the monitor settings as much as possible, but those can't do everything. Is there any software I can use to calibrate my display image without relying on the monitor settings?
>>
File: nextdns.png (60 KB, 1140x570)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
Opinions on NextDNS?
>>
Looking for quick feedback. How good does "Jorussku" sound as a project name to you guys? Would you say it's better or worse than "Joruschku"? And yes, it's supposed to be a bastardized form of よろしく.
>>
>>78819654
>よろしく
Jewrusku
>>
This might be a dumb fucking question but apparently my home network settings had all the settings on allowing other users in the network to access my files, because i didn't know that selecting the "home network" settings at the prompt would automatically do this and that i should've selected "public network" instead for maximum protection

Did this really cause my computer to be wide open with anyone in the network being able to access my shit just like that without the UAC being prompted and without me even knowing the files had been accessed (in read-only but still accessed nonetheless)?

Apparently all the folders had been set on "shared within the network" but i completely locked that shit down now. Any way for me to tell whether someone in the network accessed my files at any time from a windows-made network log or something?
>>
aside from a seedbox and a designated samba machine, what should use my rpi for?
>>
>>78819710
>To see who reads the file, open “Windows Event Viewer”, and navigate to “Windows Logs” “Security”. There is a “Filter Current Log” option in the right pane to find the relevant events. If anyone opens the file, event ID 4656 and 4663 will be logged.

So there's like 30k events logged in the security tab but none of them have those two ID's in them. That mean i'm good when it comes to my opsec?
>>
File: lel.jpg (28 KB, 363x400)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
What RAID/other setup do you need if you're
>downloading several files
>drives are not identical
>you want full files, no overlaps, or fails due to low space
>>
Anyone know how could I change which port the program uses for specific network communication if there are no such options in the program itself?
>>
Can the magnet on a magnetic-tip screwdriver damage a motherboard component? Like wipe the memory of an IC or fry something sensitive?
>>
>>78818371
My 9 year old cheapo ThinkPad that I used to watch Netflix and Twitch/YouTube streams in bed had its display die today and I've been looking for a replacement.
Since I use it exclusively to stream I was kind of considering switching to a tablet and using one of those tablet arms to fix it to my bed or just switch to like a Chromebook or something.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tablet with as big a screen as possible or like a 14-15" Chromebook? Other than being strong enough to handle streams it being 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio and having a decent screen is really all I care about, battery life is completely inconsequential for example since it's going to be connected to an outlet 24/7.
>>
>>78819377
For homebrew check here:
>>/vg/314006663
>>
>>78819892
No.
>>
what are some essentials to put on a flash drive?
i got a 2tb external ssd as a gift from work and have no idea how to use that much space.
the usual utilities and junk i use take up less than 1gb
>>
>>78819876
I think that snapraid does that?
>>
Is there a way to get exiftool to create and move images into directories based off a certain string being in the filename?
>>
File: 20201122_095612.jpg (2.03 MB, 2440x2989)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>78818371
Kodachi just keeps going blank then doing this. Where could i acquire some oils, and what kind would you recommend for this problem? Have i not been diligent? Please forgive me
>>
Where the fuck are all the new Ryzens? Rocket Lake is going to be out by the time anyone can get their hands on one.
>>
how difficult would it be to directly access wifi hardware in a virtual machine?
im considering buying a new laptop and installing linux as I despise windows 10, but my college has some stupid proprietary wifi software you have to install to connect to the wifi that only works with windows.
so yeah, how difficult would it be to directly access wifi firmware from a virtual machie?
>>
>>78820336
If rocket lake came out today, you wouldn't be able to get your hands on it either.
>>
Can I ban youtube channels from showing on the recommendations list? I'm tired of shitty click bait channels.
>>
Anyone might know where I can pirate Udemy courses. Not the usual popular ones but others.
>>
I don't want to use Libre/OpenOffice.
I'm out of the loop and don't know how to get it Microsoft Office/365 whatever it's called now for free. Is the paid legit version now a subscription ? (I havent actually really looked into the matter)
5, 6 years ago you needed to torrent some old version and use and activator or something dumb like that.
I just need word, excel and power point.
I'm on windows 10.

So best and simplest way to get MS Office without risk and activators etc?
>>
How?

>>292298840
>>
File: 57.jpg (26 KB, 300x100)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>78818371
What's source of this anime?
>>
File: 1604767993611.png (24 KB, 801x470)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
How do I remove borders in google sheet? Like, I don't want to remove borders for the stuff I'm filling but only for the cells I'm not using. Thing is there might be thousands and I don't want to select all of them. Is there a quicker way?
>>
Should I sell my MacBook Pro 16” (i9) and get a m1 air? I have a beast desktop (3090 and 5950x) so I’m wondering if I should pocket the $ diff. The m1 is 8 core, 16gb so good for the reverse engineering shit I do anyways.
>>
>>78821827
Yeah you can also trade in for credit with apple directly.
>>
>>78821630
Use the free online version.

Beyond that the op paste covers how to get it risk free. The iso is directly from microsoft, the kms activator is open source.
>>
does chrome have an equivalent to firefox's "pop html5 video so I can switch programs and still have the video on screen"?
>>
Call me retarded, but what are some resources for learning the "programming" side of SQL? I've taken courses and read some from books but no one ever taught me that you can write procedures, set variables, loop etc. in SQL.
>>
>>78821736
try reverse searching the very image you posted you buffoon you
>>
>>78820130
All of Wikipedia, all of any stackexchange sites you are interested in, planet.osm, lost of things.
>>
>>78821764
You can't.
>>
>>78819876
btrfs
>>
>>78822080
Yes.
If the player looks like pic related, skip to 5.

1. Inspect element
2. Find the video element
3. Right click it, "Add Attribute"
4. Type "controls"
5. Click the menu icon on the video
6. Click the PiP option
>>
Can I have a quick rundown on upgrading a laptop from a hard drive to an SSD but keeping the installation. Do I just buy an SSD and special cable, copy and paste C: then unscrew hard drive and plug in SSD?
>>
>>78822142
Apparently these are called flow control statements. Syntax looks pretty easy as well, just pissed I didn't learn about this sooner
>>
What OS should I install on my pinephone if I want to use my nexdock with it?
I tried manjaro Plasma mobile and the peripheal works, but holy shit the graphical glitches.
>>
Seems I got range-banned from /vg/, but I still can post in other channels. I don't think I did anything that is bannable offense. Does it happen randomly to anons?
>>
>>78822346

You need to use a software program, google HDD to SSD clone, and you'll either need a desktop where you can have both drives connected at once, or a USB to Sata connector if doing it on a Laptop.

It's pretty simple with the software. I'd probably recommend just saving personal files to google drive, or some other storage and just reinstalling Win 10 fresh on the SSD
>>
What are some cheap thermal pads that don't suck ass for when I repaste my laptop GPU and CPU? For the VRMs and Mem... I'm using paste on the cores.

Also, would I noticeably lower already pretty low temps going from the Alienware 7700/1080 heatsink assembly to the 7820k/1080 heatsink assembly with 1 more heatpipe? Probably not worth the $30
>>
>>78822346
Macrium Reflect free version can handle it. PCs haven't been simple enough that you could back up a system drive with copy / paste while the system is running since DOS or old time MacOS.
>>
>>78822384
>Does it happen randomly to anons?
Yes, on /vg/ specially. You can reset your router a few times to try to get an unbanned IP.
>>
File: hiro_stare.png (222 KB, 678x623)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>>78822211
Well shit
>>
>>78822329
hmm, I remember when I first saw the little blue icon on videos in firefox that it was annoying as hell, but after getting used to having a tiny window while multitasking it ended up being a feature I use all the time since I would normally just fill half my screen with the browser, and the other half with whatever I'm doing, but the pop-up is just better in every way, I even watch music videos now even though it's just music, and I've seen it before.
I just worry that maybe firefox will have an update where they completely yeet their users (especially since firefox won't allow you to disable updates), I wouldn't mind switching to chrome right now if it had that pop-up feature in the same caliber.
>>
File: patagonia-08.jpg (695 KB, 2500x1417)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
>>78818371
Hi I'm noob trying to pull information from 4chan using its API and JSON. Another anon suggested I use this code:

import urllib.request
import json

page = json.loads(urllib.request.urlopen('http://a.4cdn.org/{}/thread/{}.json'.format(board,thread)).read())

When I run the code I receive NameError: name 'board' is not defined

I'm not sure how to define it as I would be pulling this information from the website, so I'm not sure what to put here :(.
>>
>>78822454
Alright, thanks. That's kinda annoying.
>>
>>78822481
I'm using python3 for reference
>>
>>78822476
You can use either Waterfox (Current) or GNU/Icecat, which are both better versions of Firefox. No reason to switch to chromium garbage.
>>
>>78819153
AMD compatibility with Linux is great, you won't have any issues. The biggest issue you will have is the high idle power of the CPU. Intel is better at turning off parts of the chip. AMD battery life is not as good during light usage. However, when the CPU is active, the AMD chip is more power efficient.
>>
>>78821862
They rip off for credit
>>
>>78818532
just put it closer to the router, you'll get a stronger signal
>>
>>78822452
>PCs haven't been simple enough that you could back up a system drive with copy / paste while the system is running since DOS or old time MacOS.
actually you can still do that
in windows you can do this using robocopy, and in linux with most tools that has an option to preserve all attributes
>>
How do I evade ban? No vpns work and I can't get my router to release my ip
>>
>>78822747
it depends on the website, if it's one you log in to, then you may need to make another account, as the ban will be against the account, not your IP
>>
File: HDDMounting.jpg (69 KB, 816x616)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I have an old Zalman Z9 with this mounting system.
I have to replace a HDD and add a SSD.
Does the inateck ssd kit work with this system?
>>
>>78822806
Interesting. What if the ban was issued by an unpaid trannitor on a costa rican soap carving forum?
>>
>>78822865
then what your asking is against the rules and i can't help you
>>
I need to turn a directory into a single file. It doesn't need to be compressed or anything, it just needs to be a single file.
>>
>>78819377
on a switch lite and the latest full size switch models a modchip is required.
>>
>>78820839
Have you asked their tech support about other ways to login as Linux is absolutely vital to computer students.
>>
What email provider should I use? I have been looking at mailbox and posteo but I can't make up my mind. I just want out of this google shit.
>>
>>78822652
robocopy doesn't handle junctions. Not saying it can't be done on modern OS, but it requires special tooling and snapshots to do correctly. Classic MacOS and DOS you literally just drag / drop or copy c:\ e:\, and that was the 'best practice' drive cloning method.
>>
>>78823139
i admit the last time i cloned windows using robocopy was with XP
though linux certainly can be copied while running using tools like rsync, i do it regularly
>>
>>78823265
Yeah the default rec for linux is just running dd. Modern windows is full of fuck though.
>>
Anyone got that "recommended Android apps" sheet? I need a decent gallery app and the stock one I'm using is always fails to properly sort alphabetically and sometimes is missing folders from the SD card
>>
>>78823340
>dd
no, nobody should backup their linux volumes with dd, that's slower, would take up more space, cannot be incrementally updated, and may contain deleted files
the most common kinds of linux backups are rsync and tar

as for windows, you can back up an ntfs volume using imagex/wimlib, i backup my windows system from in linux using wimlib, while the system does need to be offline, it is a file-level copy, and so is quite space efficient
>>
>>78823410
This wasn't a discussion about regular backups, just cloning.
>>
>>78823427
right, for cloning i would suggest rsync (linux) and ntfsclone (ntfs)
ntfsclone is also offline, while the result is a dd-like full disk clone, it's more efficient in that it's able to skip slack space
>>
>>78818593
openweathermap might be of interest to you
>>
File: 28_C1vqlQL.png (7 KB, 112x112)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
if i tunnel into my home server through a VPN i set up on a VPS, can the provider peer into my traffic? unsure how / what exactly is being encrypted in a VPN tunnel.
>>
>>78823496
how is the home server connected to the VPS?
if they're both on the same VPN running on the VPS, then the VPS can see your cleartext, which in turn means the VPS provider can as well
if you want to access your home server securely, then access it directly, or use the VPS as a proxy (of for example SSH)
>>
File: DSC_4332-hero.1419979067.jpg (143 KB, 1400x1400)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
I have a seven year old Nook tablet. I like it. It works perfectly for my purpose (color PDF reader) The only problem is the battery lasts two hours now, when it was close to eight hours when I got it.

If I get a replacement battery and go through the trouble to disassemble it, will this fix it or are the replacement batteries going to be just as bad because they were all made at the same time as the tablet?
>>
File: Is coffee good for you.jpg (212 KB, 1080x1351)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
What external bluray drive writer/reader thing to get.
Mostly just for watching BDs on my PC
Under $300 preferably.
Is there a go to one?
They all have shit reviews.
>>
>>78823496
They can still see your traffic. It's either a VPS or a VPN company so I would go for a VPS. Just make sure you choose a good one.
https://www.privacytools.io/providers/hosting/
>>
File: 1572907401046.jpg (70 KB, 375x455)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>78818371
How do I pull information from the 4chan API?
>>
>>78823543
Battery wear is mostly due to charge cycles.

>>78823564
https://github.com/4chan/4chan-API
>>
>>78823534
>how is the home server connected to the VPS?
i don't know, i have to figure that out as well. but the idea was, as you say, to have a server run on the VPS then to run a client on my home server and whatever other device i'm using when i'm about

the issue is that i don't have access to the router in my current apartment (not without some trickery anyway) so i can't do any port-forwarding. connecting to my home server directly is out of the question as it's isolated, unless you know of some other way to do this.
>>
>>78823587
>https://github.com/4chan/4chan-API
Do you mind spelling it out for me? I'm kind of a fucking retard.
>>
>>78823606
>connecting to my home server directly is out of the question as it's isolated, unless you know of some other way to do this.
reverse ssh
that is, instead of having an ssh server waiting for a client to connect to it, you have it act like a client trying to connect to a server
this allow for connections to a firewalled server

or, since you have a VPS, you can use it as a proxy, connecting to your home server through the VPS

another alternative is use two VPNs, one as you're doing now, to connect both machines to the VPS, then another, going through that VPN directly between your machine and the home server, this way the traffic that passes in and out of the VPN on the VPS is itself encrypted
>>
>>78822838
you don't need to mount ssds at all
>>
File: 105_DCXBhus.png (6 KB, 112x107)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>78823758
interesting ideas. thanks for the help
how does a proxy differ from a vpn, if you don't mind me asking? i know the network logic is different but it seems like a proxy would be functionally identical with the first solution you proposed (not the one with nested networks)
>>
>>78823864
it doesn't differ, if your vpn software has an option to setup your VPS as a proxy for it's traffic, then you can do that
all a proxy is is a way of 'bouncing' traffic through an intermediate host
maybe i can draw a diagram to explain it visually
>>
How practical/successful would a local company that assembles custom built computers be in today's market?
>>
>>78823983
0% viability unless you're doing something niche like workstations or gpu servers
>>
File: 536.png (91 KB, 243x215)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
Why am I getting worse internet speed when using a wired connection vs wireless on my laptop? I got 240 mbps down when using wifi then only 9 mbps down when wired. What's going on?
>>
>>78824114
Sounds like 10/100 Ethernet
>>
>>78818371
How many layers deep can you run a VM? Can I run a VM within a VM within a VM within a VMx5? What's the best VM manager for this? Is it even possible at all?

>anon, why?
advanced hacker shit
>>
why these questions never gets answered?
>>
>>78824136
>10/100
Explain plz
>>
>>78824154
which question, silly?
>>
Is it normal for a Tor Browser to directly connect to nodes other than the Guard?
>>
>have some webpages that automatically download a file when you open them
>try to use wget to automate the process
>just downloads the html
What do?
>>
>>78824204
That's not possible. The node you connect to is by definition the guard node. Your guard node does change every now and again though, so don't be surprised if you connect to a new one.
>>
>>78824242
I was looking at wireshark and I see the traffic going to the Guard node, but then another IP starts showing up that is listed in Tor's IP lists. What is that then?
>>
>>78824231
They are doing it through javascript, wget downloads the page as it is.
>>
>>78824157
Older network cards were limited to 10 to 100 Mb/s (1.25 to 12.5MB/s), today most are a 1000 at a minimum.
But you may still get the older limits if your LAN drivers are out of date. Either that, or you're using a really low quality/old cable that has similar limitations.
>>
File: Dwal9qIBaM.png (307 KB, 1296x739)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
Hello /g/, overclocking noob here. I applied a small undervolt and got slightly better scores on cinebench, however, I realized that I need to apply this profile on startup every time if I want my CPU to run in this configuration. I tried going into MSI's bios and setting all of the things there, but I'm not sure how the voltage settings work. Is there a way I can just set the max voltage and forget about it? I've read some articles from Gamers Nexus about killing your CPU with false voltage readings and I don't want to mess anything up
>>
File: 1606028585808.jpg (823 KB, 1125x1400)
823 KB
823 KB JPG
Do any of you go out?
Rec me a god tier backpack, 70/80L, At least Nylon (Ballistic / Kudrow - - even possible in the price range?)
>>
>>78823544
Don't know much about bluray, for DVD, LG was the best one.
>>
What's the easiest way to just create a Java project in eclipse which compiles and runs without having to select a million options?
>>
File: Backpacks.jpg (446 KB, 2500x2007)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
>>78824477
Check out /out/ for hiking packs, /k/ for tacticool or /fa/ for underage autism
70-80L is a lot
>>
>>78824273
Well shit. Is there a way to automate this?
>>
>>78824364
I have the most up to date drivers using the radeon software though and the cable i'm using isn't old. Does the radeon software check for the lan drivers too, or do I need to download that separately?
>>
>>78824503
Thanks will check out.
I do need the 70-80L, I'm going out for trekking / camping.
>>
give GitHub links for "Super Market app development", I've to make an android app & project report on that topic
>>
>>78824541
I wouldn't know. Just google your laptop's model and the manufacturer should have a support page with all up to date drivers.
>>
Just a quick question, what's the best privacy oriented mail service? I need to write coom shit.
>inb4 host your own
>>
>>78824532
Depends.
What the javascript is doing is just redirecting you to a link where the file is actually hosted. If you do some inspect element'ing, or even just look at your downloads tab (right click -> copy download link), you should be able to find the source of where the file is actually from.

That link could be predictable (say, just changing the domain prefix) in that case, you'd have to make a script that transforms the URLs you have to the ones where the files are actually at, and then pass that to wget.
But there's also the possibility they are not. There's many sites that just generate garbage as the URL, and even if you could theoretically predict it in a lot of cases that URL has an expiry date, either an arbitrary amount of time or as soon as you close the page.

If you are dealing with the later, then you'll have to change your whole approach, and instead automate it through a browser.
https://github.com/chromiumembedded/cef
If that all sounds like too much work you could try resorting to something like JDownloader, that might work too.
>>
File: 1528302661492.png (446 KB, 808x805)
446 KB
446 KB PNG
does windows have native audio equalization? i bought a headset so I wouldnt bother my roomates while gaming and listening to music, but music sounds odd. games are fine, but music sounds odd through youtube and dopamine. the same songs sound fine through my phone, but when they're played through my computer it's like they quiet the loud bassy parts and amplify the quiet parts.

its a g935 and I've tried the audio through 3.5mm and the wireless usb adapter. I never noticed it when I was using my speakers. maybe it's just my ears but music sounds wavy, like it's adjusting between muting and amplifying it. there's also no equalization setting under device specific software or drivers.
>>
>>78818371
how do i get svp to work with mpv? no mpv thread so i cant ask there and the few guides i found when googling didnt work.
>>
>>78824263
It stopped showing up, but it was apparently another node that wasn't an exit node and probably had something to do with my guard. Weird.
>>
What is a good, cheap thermal paste (and pads) to use to repaste my Alienware 17 R4?

I'm not buying gay ass $20 thermal paste for a .3c difference.
>>
No matyer what browser I use I can't attach files to post on 4chan or anywhere else on the internet, what do?
>>
>>78824730

In your sound settings it sounds like you may have 'loudness equalization' enabled. Right click the speaker icon in bottom right, click open mixer, click the left most speaker icon above the slider, click enhancements tab, make sure loudness equalization in unchecked.

Also, certain applications automatically do this
>>
>>78818371
How much of a meme is it that Win10 is a botnet? Should you assume there is no privacy? Shit like telemetry is really sp00py to me.
>>
File: 1579500929624.jpg (1000 KB, 1242x1234)
1000 KB
1000 KB JPG
>>78818371
1. home server + gayming laptop (for performance, not games. and I'm not paying triple for workstation)
2. powerful desktop + shit laptop (+home server)
If not this piece of shit corona I would pick 1 but now I don't know anymore.
>>
>>78825256
just use 8.1 for as long as you can, any program that 'needs' win10 compatibility is a shit and not worth your time
>>
>>78825256
I'm drunk and tired so I'm not in the clearest of mind, but I'm an expert hacker so I'll try to explain. Windows telemetry is often abused by hackers. A lot of exploits for windows take advantage of this telemetry. To understand why, first one must accept two things: Windows is full of holes like swiss cheese, and that Microsoft has HyperUser privileges on your device.

>Hyperuser privs?
Hyper > Super. In fact, when you first install the OS you must sign a contract that basically says that the OS is 'theirs' (Microsoft's) and you're factually just leasing it. Thus, nothing on the OS is really yours. You can bet your ass Microsoft can see everything on it. This hyperuser thing is what allows them to like run forced updates and do a bunch of the other spoopy shit. Again, it's also what hackers often take advantage of.

>Forced updates
Updates are just about the only thing preventing you from getting hacked really badly on Windows because the OS is such fcking garbage at this point. Update your Windows.

>botnet
I've found that most people can't really define botnet very well. That being said, Microsoft Windows fits a lot of definitions of botnets.

>privacy
Microsoft can access anything on your Windows system, apart from of course encrypted directories and partitions. Also between Cortana and just the amount of data Microsoft collects on you, you can assume there's no privacy on Windows. Just switch to Linux,.
>>
>>78825191
there isn't an enhancement tab to check. I swear, im fairly tech competent, this is just driving me insane. maybe im crazy and it's just placebo but music does sound different vs my phone's headphones.
>>
>>78818593
curl wttr.in
>>
File: unknown3.png (193 KB, 370x356)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
What is the best budget price/quality solution to connect my desktop PC audio to 5.1 speakers?
Kinda brainlet on audio tech so not sure if I should buy a DAC, Receiver or a Sound card
Even better if it's something fairly cheap from AliEx
>>
>>78825256
If you actually have the ability to switch to linux, that's great. Do that. Otherwise staying on legacy windows forever isn't a real option. And assuming you will eventually upgrade, which is inevitable, there's no clear advantage to waiting.
>>
File: 2020-11-22-11-46-41.png (122 KB, 945x582)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
In what system/way does <E2> equal an apostrophe, and <E2><A6> an ellipsis?
Pic is a lobste.rs what you get from
 rdrview -B 'lynx -dump -nolist' https://lobste.rs/s/4oiijk/what_small_change_s_has_made_large_impact | less -R

Removing the less all the naturally highlighted sequences are get parsed as �
>>
>mfw my laptop is overpowered
>22.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 299MHz (17-17-17-39)
Is it true that the lower the series numbers the faster it is? 17 must be shit.. Works for me I guess. It's a laptop.
>>
>>78822481
http://a.4cdn.org/<board>/thread/<thread>.json
is the thread API endpoint and it provides all of a thread's posts. This is the endpoint you use, when you already know which thread you're interested in (so you know which board it is on and which thread no. it has). If you want a full list of threads on a board or a list of all boards on 4chan, then you need to use other endpoints. See https://github.com/4chan/4chan-API/blob/master/pages/Endpoints_and_domains.md

Also do yourself a favor and use f-strings, if you can ensure that you'll only use Python 3.6+. Then
'http://a.4cdn.org/{}/thread/{}.json'.format(board,thread)

becomes
f'http://a.4cdn.org/{board}/thread/{thread}.json'
>>
>>78823020
Tar it on Linux or zip it (no compression) on Windows.
>>
Why is cock.li such shit? Why is it down half the time?
>>
I'm trying to move all my images/webms from the last 3 years to a new phone, how do I get them all to retain their creation dates? It's all renewed when I copy it to the phone.
>>
best porn/nudity blocking extension?
>>
>>78826234
there are porn lists you can use with various dns filters / adblockers
>>
File: splitter.png (1.25 MB, 688x1280)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
Why won't my mic work in this configuration?
>>
I need a serious email address for work etc. What email provider should I use? Protonmail? I refuse to use microsoft email or google.
>>
>>78827064
Yes
>>
>>78826234
Nothing will work, because you would have to be smarter than you.
>>
is there any benefit to disabling UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding in my torrent client if the port is already open?
>>
File: 1582364085614.jpg (55 KB, 702x767)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>78818554
>>78818554
anyone?
>>
>>78827199
Have you tried opening inspect element and searching for video extensions such as ".mp4"?
>>
>>78827279
Tried so far
>Inspecting and looking at video element src
>Seeing page info using Firefox and checking the media tab
>Letting the video load for a few seconds to see if I could catch a network request for a video

None of them worked.

Tried GetFLV but the free version only allows me to download 30MB and cuts the video.
>>
ants have made my laptop keyboard some kind of a nest or some shit because of the heat.
How the fuck do i remove them? I was thinking of just using bug spray.
>>
>>78827084
Yes what?
>>
>>78827428
Yes sir!
>>
File: example.png (41 KB, 712x568)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
Is this possible?
>>
>>78827047
i double checked and it is a 4-pole combo plug, but is the splitter you used a 4-pole to 2*3-pole? or is it a 3-pole to 3-pole splitter?

unplug it, on the male end (going into the computer), do you see 2 plastic bands, or 3?
>>
>>78827538
>Union file systems together to present multiple local and/or cloud file systems as one
yes, it says it supports that
>>
>>78827538
have you tried?
I'd imagine MEGA could pose a problem since it doesn't really act like a proper filesystem, but just try it and if it fails it fails
>>
>>78823384
This one? Camera Roll works for me
https://github.com/offa/android-foss
>>
File: poles.png (675 KB, 677x720)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
>>78827555
The splitter has three bands. The amazon product name:
>REYTID 3.5mm 4 Pin to 2x 3 Pin 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter - M/F
So I need to get any splitter with 4 bands on the male?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (160 KB, 1515x977)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>78827555
>>78827734
This should work, right?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PCV-05-Adapter-Headsets-Black/dp/B00E4DHO44/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=3.5mm+combo+splitter&qid=1606051869&sr=8-4
Picrelated
>>
I have a bedroom where the door is right off of my living room and it is extremely noisy in it, like every sound travels through
If I buy those acoustic panels and put them all along the bedroom wall will that help at all?
What should I do to the door to help? Its solid wood
>>
>>78827734
that pic looks correct, notice how it has 4 contacts, this is mic, right, left, ground, as opposed to a 3 contact one which has no mic contact
does the mic work plugged in on its own?
>>
>>78827864
both mic and headphones work independent of the splitter. They both also work if they are connected via the splitter with its other female port unoccupied. Perhaps a laptop issue?
>>
>>78827921
so it's not a physical problem
maybe it's a software/driver configuration issue
>>
>>78827993
Okay, really helpful. I'll do some more research later. Thanks anon
>>
>>78819153
What is this meme even?
>>
I am planning on using more case fans then my motherboard has fan headers. What is the difference between using splitters / a hub / a fan controller? How can I verify that the power levels will be correct and nothing will get fried?
>>
anyone have any recs for a good web dev online course?
took a peek at the odin project but I think I prefer something more visual
>>
>>78824730
Is it a Dell? They come preloaded with something called "MaxxAudio" and when it's enabled it makes everything sound like ass.
>>
Is it safe to unplug just the power cable to an internal HDD (I will only use the drive periodically) when not using it or should I unplug both the power cable and the data cable?
>>
File: 2020.png (807 KB, 1105x1144)
807 KB
807 KB PNG
Which one to get in 2020?
>>
>>78828339
just the power should be fine
>>
Is there a good USB-C cable that you guys can reccomend for an S9+? I would just get any cable, but I don't know if I can trust them
>>
File: IMG_1278.png (797 KB, 960x644)
797 KB
797 KB PNG
I need help. Yesterday when I turned my desktop on it got into the boot menu without me doing anything, when I got out of it it worked like normal but everything was far too zoomed in. Like an idiot I decided it was time to install some updates, and reset it once they were done downloading. Now it's just showing the Linux mint logo a few minutes after it turning on. How do I unfug this?
>>
>>78827373
1/4 borax, 3/4 bait-food
Mix, and leave as a trap near the ants. They will bring it back to the nest, and the whole nest will die. If you use too much borax, the worker ants will die before bringing it back to the nest.
The bait-food can either be protein, sugar, or fat, depending on the ant's tastes at the time. And colonies seem to (in my experience - i'm not an expert) change what their taste is/ what bait they go for. My solution is usually to make 2 baits, one with peanut-butter, the other with sugar-water or honey.
>>
>>78827859
Are there gaps around the door?
What are your walls made of (timber veneer, solid brick, etc)?
>>
I'm using a NVMe for my win10 and I keep getting an infinite boot loop without any access to bios, my temp solution is putting a USB with win10 on it and remove it once It passes the boot. what can I do to fix this?
>>
Windows 10 doesn't show folder sizes, It shows the size of individual files but not the folder, Help; I'm assuming I broke somethnig using W10Privacy explorer section
>>
>>78824157
One faulty pin can cause a gigabit LAN to drop to 100 or 10.
>>
what's the best email client for Mac in 2020? i currently use airmail but the devs have totally fucked it up and i need to switch
>>
File: really makes you think.gif (1.2 MB, 480x270)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB GIF
Aside from being wireless, are there any other major differences between the Razer Viper and the Viper Ultimate? Looking into a new mouse and I prefer wired, but if Ultimate is really worth the price difference I might just use it while leaving it plugged in to the charger
>>
>>78828422
Anker, Aukey, Monoprice, and ugreen are big / reasonably trustworthy cable chinks.
>>
>>78828561
Yeah there's a pretty wide gap on the side with the handle. Its a good inch off the floor too (only one like that for some reason) but I think i can just get one of those heavy draft stoppers for that to help
>>
>>78828377
>Grab a new 2DS and install CFW
>>
>>78829125
who are you quoting?
>>
wasn't there some shit called browserservice on github what allowed you to browse web on retro web browsers?
>>
>>78829431
I fucked that up, it wasn't supposed to be a quote.
Grab a new 2DS and install CFW
>>
I'm used to browsing 4chan with 4chanX, but I'm currently on a mobile device and the one thing vanilla 4chan does better is its mobile layout. So how can I make 4chanX more mobile friendly? Is there a good custom css out there or are there any related tweaks I'm not aware of?
>>
What's the point of a pi hole? Can't I just block ads directly through my router?
>>
>>78829513
If you have a decent router, yeah.
>>
>>78829125
>N2DS
>Sellers demand over 250$ for it
>2DS
>Less than 70$
>Both get access to 3DS library
What CFW?
>>
>>78829572
There is only one CFW still maintained, Luma. Install guide at 3ds.hacks.guide
>>
>>78829513
it's for people who don't know enough to install openwrt on their router
>>
>>78829593
>3ds.hacks.guide
>still use memorypit exploit
Who maintain this?
>>
Is there any easy way to stream video from VLC Player to an iPhone.
>>
most modern messengers have got used to the fact that you can invite someone to the channel by clicking on the link. IRC is no worse, and has had it for centuries and... why doesn't any client offer this? Or maybe only i am retarted? I always did it by hand because I couldn't do it otherwise.
>>
>>78829638
Is there a newer exploit? the .guide sites have usually been pretty up to date with their guides
>>
File: OTG-To-HDMI.jpg (57 KB, 1000x1000)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Can I use this to see my tablet screen's output on an HDMI TV?
>>
>>78829844
browser haxx
>>
>>78827709
Thats the one, thanks anon
>>
>>78818371
Why are there 4 of the same user logged in when I use the command 'user'?
>>
I am running an mc server and I have command prompt open, but I remember pressing tab allowed me to autocomplete a command, but when I do it now, it just adds a space. Does anyone know how to enable it again?
>>
What language do I need to build a bot that buys shit online faster than other bots? I know nothing about programming, but this might be a good way to start.
>>
>>78828451
Anyone?
>>
>>78830115
Language has little to do with that. You're better off using a simple scripting language in clever ways than trying to save microseconds of calculation in negligible areas. This video has a few examples. One of them was estimating the latency and sending requests ahead of time so they land once the item became available.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgz5dutPF8M
>>
>>78829497
Use kuroba retard
>>
>>78830572
Why thanks friend. I'm unemployed so figured I'd finally do something productive with my time. Neet life was just too much fun.
>>
What to sell asus p7p55d-e for on ebay?
>>
>>78822363
Okay, I just installed mobian to see how it would go.
It's actually basically okay but this being a pinephone it's also slow, compared to say, my now dead laptop.
Hopefully updating things won't fuck up the boot sequence again.
>>
>>78820130
>full disk images
>>
>>78829867
Only if the tablets operating system supports it.
>>
File: 1604669219886.gif (1.74 MB, 220x220)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB GIF
Best way to download videos from websites? There's a lot of obfuscation nowadays, I miss being able to just copy and paste shit from my internet cache.
>>
Is it a good idea to put WIP projects that aren't publicly shared on resumes? I'm working on a pretty big project and it'll probably take months before I get a working demo.
>>
>>78828657
Disable fastboot.
>>
Just testing if Clover still works fine, don't mind my post.
>>
>>78831016
youtube-dl works for most websites, despite the name. If it doesn't work there are always a bunch of other video-ripping scripts floating around on github
>>
is there a free (libre) electronic paper solution built on entirely free firmware and hardware?
>>
Is there a way to avoid that popup every time I open a specific program in Windows? The "Do you want this program to make changes to your device" or whatever it says?
>>
Is it possible to hack a QR code and reprogram it?
>>
>>78831306
Yes, with paint and a lot of dedication.
QR codes are simply a way of storing data (think of it like a CD). What your reader does with that data depends on what the data is.
>>
>>78829921
never mind, already found out. those are the services I'm running on my pc, such as kdeinit5, the x session, bash that gets used when I run 'users' and the users command.
found it out using the 'w' command.
>>
>>78831331
not like paint, like I could access with my phone and then reprogram it directly, say like I was at a restaurant and they had a QR Menu and I set it to like anime titties.
>>
>>78831345
A QR code is just a way of storing text, usually a URL.
>>
>>78831345
The QR code probably doesn't contain the full menu. It's probably a URL to a website that has the menu. QR codes are a way to store data, not instructions. It's the same as reading something versus doing what it says.
>>78831390
This
>>
>>78831394
>>78831390
yeah that much I know, which is why I've been wondering if I can hijack the link and redo the QR
>>
>>78831407
Potentially if you provide fake wifi with some DNS fuckery going on.
>>
>>78831016
youtube-dl or the yt-dlc fork
>>
Does anyone seen an issue with this rack? It's going to function as a Plex server as well as a back-up server.

https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/quanta-stratos-s210-x12rs-v2-1u-4x-3-5-lff?c_b=21787

I've got a SSD with Windows 10 and 3x8TB HDDS; is there anything I'm missing at all? I'll just buy a cabinet off Amazon as I've been using tower servers until now.
>>
>>78829551
>>78829601
My router was given to me by my isp
>>
>>78828451
Looks like your install is corrupted, I'd guess the "zooming in" is the display defaulting to a really small resolution because the drivers got fucked.
Try booting from a small live distro and check the drive's health, it's likely you're going to find some errors
>>
>>78831614
How do I go about that? Please help this baka. I'm in the boot menu due to showing some friends my situation.
>>
My Pixel 4a camera used to have a slider that went up to 7x zoom, but now there's only a button for 1x or 2x. Did Google do a shitty update without my awareness, or did I change my settings without knowing?
>>
File: 1576523415239.png (280 KB, 1805x837)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
Firefox doesn't want to show Thumbnails on wallhaven. What to do?
>>
>>78830612
I'm on Mobian though.
>>
nsfwyoutube and the embed trick on the link don’t work anymore, how do I keep jewing google bros?
>>
>>78831809
Disable adblock.
>>
>>78819377
>(sorry I mostly hang out on /out/ and /tv/)
and /v/
>>
>>78831891
It was LocalCDN apparently, I filtered the domain and it works fine now.
>>
Recommend me a book on Latex. Something to go from "never heard of Latex" to making academic papers from scratch.
>>
>>78831766
Get a second PC and install something like a recovery distro or even just Ubuntu on a USB drive
>>
>>78832378
I have a laptop with mint already installed on it.
>>
>>78831095
>bunch of other video-ripping scripts floating around on github
How to use this?
https://github.com/tvaddonsco/script.module.urlresolver/blob/master/lib/urlresolver/plugins/mp4upload.py
>>
>>78831407
To simplify it for you, think of qr code like morse code. You cant change --. to mean anything but the letter g
>>78828377
Ive used and at one point owned all except the n2ds. The n3ds x is the best, the n3ds a close second and the 2ds 3rd. Try and get a n3ds with ips screens and your golden. That said you can just emulate it.
>>
>>78832548
Connect your PC hard drive to the laptop and if it says anything in red, be ready to buy a new hard drive.
>>
does opening multiple tabs in a browser simultaneously (say 50+) reduce the internet speed for everyone connected to the same wifi? I notice my pc getting slower but I imagine that it is the over burdened processor which is causing the lag not the wifi.
>>
File: IMG_2295.jpg (42 KB, 679x665)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>78832771
I sure do hope it doesn't come to that. I have far too much stuff on my desktop that I didn't backup.
>>
File: 1309041528322.jpg (34 KB, 640x427)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Does anyone know why Windows uses a stacking window manager when tiled window managers are much better for productivity?
>>
>>78825361
God damn why does it have to be like this? I need to switch to Linux soon and run VM win10 for programs that require it using GPU passthru.

What do you mean they can access anything on my system? Are my files being actively archived, or is it just if the FBI/CIA thought you were a terrorist and did a raid or something Windows would give them backdoors into your computer?

I don't even know if I can trust Linux nowadays I have heard some stuff about systemd or something being a backdoor but not really knowledgeable on that.

It feels weird not having privacy in your own home and I don't like that it has become normal. And honestly I'm more concerned about hackers abusing Win10 than anything else.
>>
>>78832859
iktf bro
>>
>>78831407
>why I've been wondering if I can hijack the link and redo the QR
You could hi-jack the website.
Or make a custom QR code
>>
>>78818371
Know this is not mechanical, but does anybody have any experience with this? (Logitech Wave K350)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-k350-wireless-keyboard-black/9613864.p?skuId=9613864
>>
>>78828377
NEW 3DS XL, or a New 2DS XL. It really doesn't matter but the 2DS' have more designs. If I had known, I would have gotten a New 2DS XL Pikachu edition :(

>>78832688
Damn. That would be cool
>>
>>78832920
>the website
I don't wanna get in THAT much trouble.
>>
File: IMG_1993.jpg (32 KB, 474x355)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>78832892
Well at least it wouldn't be totally bad. I still have some things before I got mint saved on flash drives. But that would still mean losing a whole bunch of stuff saved from since then.
>>
Doing some extended traveling, might have to bring my PC with me, which I'm building right now. I'm American, going to a country with a standard voltage of 220. I barely know what I'm doing with my machine, and I don't know a thing about this.
What's important is my Power Supply, correct? This is the one I'm using: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BtrYcf/evga-b5-650-w-80-bronze-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-b5-0650-v1
According to Google, the intput voltage is "100-240V~". Would that be fine, and all I'd need is a plug adapter? Or would I be at risk of breaking my stuff or burning down my place?
>>
>>78832688
>get a n3ds with ips screens
There are one with TN panel?
How much should I pay? some buyers are asking for 250$.
what about flash card? would getting one for DS games be better than loading it through twilight?
>>
>>78832986
Yes, most are tn panels. 250 seels about whats normal if the condition is mint. Flash cards, i think it was something like r4i gold for 3ds was the go to model, it came with a magnet included but that may be redundant now days. Twilight used to be terrible, no idea now.
>>78832966
Psus are smart, all you need is the c13 cable or wall adapter
>>
>>78832873
>when tiled window managers are much better for productivity?
[Citation needed]
>>
>>78833230

I don't know if there are any studies, but if you use one it is obviously better than floating window managers, makes me wonder why it isn't the norm.
>>
>>78832873
Point and click has a lower learning curve, that's about it. Your grandma isn't interested in productivity and certainly doesn't want to learn key combos to arrange her windows, she can barely cope with the little "E" logo that opens up facebook for her

It's a bit like touch screens. There's a very low barrier for entry, but they are a bit shit when it comes to actually doing anything productive.
>>
>>78818371
What exactly does a "Big Data Software Engineer" do? I imagine its the same thing as a software engineer except you work more directly with AWS. Then again, I also don't know what a "Big Data Engineer" is to begin with, so can anyone explain this to me? Googling provides me nothing except buzzwords.
>>
I just accidentally ran a file containing this
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/0c42fb3f1f1e30acd5b4b7fe9da2528d3224acebbbe97478f175a6d240fffd12/detection

I deleted it with malwarebytes, how likely is it that i'm still compromised?
>>
>>78833295
Your personal experience isn't exactly an objective fact. I have used tiling and I can't stand (pure) tiling. A mixture of both is better IMO. But in the end you can be productive with every solution and it comes down to preferences and what you're used to.
>>
>>78822747
Get a cheap VPS and make your own VPN.
>>
SoftEther stopped changing my IP. It connects fine and shows me a new assigned IP but every site can still see my old one.
It was working fine a few months ago, I don't know what happened now. How do I fix it?
>>
>>78833358
I'm really scared anons could anyone help me with this?
>>
>>78824541
AMD doesn't make LAN cards.
>>
>>78825263
Get a used laptop, then turn it into server.
>>
>>78825263
I'd argue 2
>>
What is /g/ recommended email provider? I hear a lot of good and bad things about protonmail and tutanota.
>>
>>78832890
>are there permabackdoors
in Windows, yes to any sound I/O device and any video or picture or GPS or anything I/O device.
>can they be disabled
It's a lot of trouble and really no unless you're pretty fucking good like >>78825361
>are my files being actively monitored?
You don't understand implying do you. DO YOU USE AN ANTIVIRUS? THEN YOUR SHIT IS SCANNED. Oh, and Antiviruses work with such inefficiency that they let a lot of threats go by. They only scan known patched threats and vulns. The first goal of the threat/vuln is to disable the AV because it gives the retard monkey driving a sense 0of security cuz "X antivirus scan has completed, no viruses fiound! YTay for you!"

>backdoors
You're honestly not on the level to start talking about backdoors, but rest assured they exist and are everywhere but mostly in the hardware that you are using.
>>
>>78832966
>not having a tablet with a solar battery charger
>>
File: cathomos.png (408 KB, 806x600)
408 KB
408 KB PNG
>>78834467
solar battery charger
damn that's some next level shit dude, does it work?
>>
>>78834041
only thunderbird but if you're serious about security at all then run it in a VM and use programs to go through its sending and receiving. Recognize email ports are some of the most vulnerable no matter which email service you use. Port 587 for SMTP.
Git gud.
>>
>>78834521
I was referring to providers like protomail, tutanota, cock.li, I do use thunderbird as my client.
>>
>>78833731
I'm sorry to say this but your computer has been compromised. You ought to wipe the hard disk after saving all files of importance. Quarantine the files. Do not touch them without a Linux System and a VM.
>>
>>78834549
here's the explanation I'm too lazy to give bvut could if i wanted to and wasn't drunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ppl62Bl9RE&ab_channel=RobBraxmanTech
>>
File: js.png (53 KB, 756x162)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>Set up latest Firefox user.js
>Clear my prefs.js, as I should
>Changed nothing to do with logins since last time
>Open Firefox with my container tabs, as per usual
>It now remembers my settings for 4chan and my saved logins, but it doesn't remember where I'm logged into
>If I sign in to Stack Overflow in my special Stack Overflow container tabs, it'll remember that I'm logged in until I close my browser
>But it always remembers 4chan's settings in my 4chan container
What did I fuck up?

>>78834041
Whatever you fucking want for your real life; They're all shit. For anything else, throwaway accounts from whatever website works for you.
>>
i want to make a NAS, but i want it accessible from the internet and i live in an apartment with no hope of access my router for port forwarding. what are my options? i tried looking up personal colocation, like renting only 1U of server space, but that doesnt seem to be a thing
>>
>>78834810
rent a cheap VPS and connect your NAS with VPN
>>
File: IMG_2454.gif (43 KB, 261x315)
43 KB
43 KB GIF
Alright I'm going to try using a recovery Linux os now. Wish me luck.
>>
File: 1591395768915.png (59 KB, 457x500)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
Having a issue where none of my posts are showing up on /pol/ when 4chanX is on. What gives?
>>
>>78834870
ive explored this option a bit. VPS's are virtual and sometimes this can cause issues trying to set everything up. beyond that, tho, VPS's are meant to host very small websites, so streaming a metric fuckton of anime to a bunch of people simultaneously (i have friends) is gonna cause cause them to kick you out, reach the transfer cap (usually pretty low) or you cant do it anyway cause you dont have enough bandwidth. ive looked into dedicated servers, but unfortunately you cant buy a really tiny scrapper with unlimited down/up, you gotta spend $30/month for 32gb of memory and 6tb storage that will never get used
>>
>>78834901
what are you recovering? Should be easy. Also learn to use Kali forensics mode.
>>
I'm doing a complete wipe of all the machines on my network and had a question. What are the chances of getting spyware or any kind of virus on these devices:

-an Xfinity modem/router combo box
-a SIM card
-an Android phone with a locked bootloader after a factory reset
-a Roku streaming box

Honestly not sure if I'm being paranoid or not but hey.
>>
>>78835324
I'm trying to recover a lot of pictures and documents. I got lubuntu for it since I saw it on a recommended list for recovery oses.
>>
>>78818371
What do you guys think of QubesOS? I don't want to create separate thread for this question.
>>
>>78825671
If I'm trying to sort this information do you know if I would I be able to use BeautifulSoup?
>>
Dell Dimension 4600
what's the most ram I can add to it? 4gb? Best Graphics card?
>>
>>78835338
Smart question anon. From the tech point of view, the Xfinity combo box does run Linux, and there's a lot of places you can hide dark shit in there, especially since you're not supposed to look inside. The hardware appears to be sealed or something idk.
Thus, it certainly IS possible. Use a raspi
>>
>>78835434
The question is why would you want to? The point of using the API is so that you don't have to scrape the information.
>>
how to make dashchan operating 4chan?
>>
what do you guys think of LXQt?
should I ask this on a fglt? asked it on the last sqt and got ignored...
>>
if i make an image of a bitlocker driver with dd can i mount the image somehow
>>
>>78835338
Like this anon >>78835500 alluded to, it is possible to hack this hardware but it's illegal to do so. Also consider that if your box may be spying on you, then your remote may be too.
>>
>>78835621
Interesting project, but somewhat muddled goals. It's an option if you're a Qt fan with old hardware, but otherwise I don't see much of a reason to use it.
>>
>>78835955 (checked)
>muddled goals.
how so? it only exists because of gtk3 is shit
I really like the looks of it. installed it on a vm and so far the only thing I disliked about it was the use of sddm.
>>
I am using qbitrorrent. I like to sequentially download episodes in a TV show torrent.
However I must have screwed something up, as I guess I unchecked a season or two of subfolders in a torrent before I deleted the torrent itself, and now those folders show up as empty in Windows Explorer.

What did I do and how can I fix this? Explorer says the folders have gigs of shit in them. This seems like wierd behavior
>>
>>78836118
Check for hidden files?
>>
>>78836057
They don't focus on low resource usage exclusively like they did with LXDE, so it is more comparable to Xfce in that regard, but with a lot less customization.
When you hear talks about the projects goals then it's something like this
>resource usage (but not "sole goal")
>more modern design than LXDE
>combination of both GNOME and KDE technologies
>Wayland support (way down the line)
>integrate GTK/Qt applications seamlessly (admittedly not fully possible)
The closest thing to a main goal nowadays is to be a bridge between the GNOME/GTK and KDE/Qt camp.
>it only exists because of gtk3 is shit
It started because PCMan played around with a Qt port of his FM (admittedly because he was fed up with GTK3). However the real reason they decided to go forward with LXQt was because it's easier to find new developers for Qt/C++ than GTK/C and the project was in need for new blood. Back then LXQt was supposed to succeed LXDE. But then it was downgraded to a separate project, while the core crew keeps maintaining LXDE. I guess that is why they started to sway on their initial goals of making a purely lightweight Qt DE.
>>
Where do I purchase a sneaker bot or whatever they’re called?
I just want a single damn gpu.
>>
>>78818371
I'm trying to move lots of files from my samsung 8. Problem is it won't let me. An example is I'm trying to move 700 1mb phone pic files from DMCI. But everytime I try to drag and drop to a win10 folder it won't. It will let me move smaller batches of files over though. Is there a way to get my phone to move more files over at once? Would doing it on ubuntu be better?
>>
If I sign into an ipad with my gmail, does it sync passwords etc? Or is there a method for allowing it if it isn't native behavior?
>>
I installed linux on my laptop and now the mouse right click is double clicking. It's weird because when I control the cursor with KDEConnect it doesn't. what could be causing this?
>>
File: 1605794850877.jpg (61 KB, 1000x800)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Is there a guide that explains the dynamics behind file storage (user permissions, partitioning, mounting points) on ubuntu? I'm used to working with windows boxes where everything just werks, but for my current project I want to use an ubuntu server which leaves me at a bit of a loss when I wanna to run webapps which require me to set up proper user permissions. Looking for something like the arch wiki but for brainlets.
>>
>>78832051
Just remove LocalCDN it just brakes websites and doesn't give that much privacy.
>>
I might be upgrading from a Q6700@3.2Ghz to an AMD FX-8350 soon (someone I know upgraded recently and he just has the 8350 collecting dust right now).

Will this enable me to finally decode Youtube 1080p@60 AV1 video without dropping frames like crazy? I have to disable AV1 in about:config on my Q6700 system because it's hopeless, as in 331 of 1000 dropped frames hopeless.

I also use my PC for gaming. Haven't played a lot of titles from after about 2012 with my Q6700, is the FX-8350 decent for getting 60+fps on PS4/Xbone era games, as I imagine it is? Or is the FX-8350 "good enough" for about any modern game? I'll be using a Radeon 7850 2GB for at least a few months with it, maybe getting something newer to drive a display upgrade maybe a few months to a year away. First games I wanted to play with the FX-8350 are Dark Souls 3 and Halo:MCC. And maybe Titanfall 2. You know, action games.

Finally, the power supply I wanted to use with the FX-8350 is an Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT. It only has a 4-pin CPU power connector, and I see the FX-8350 requires an 8-pin connector. Do I have any hope of getting some sort of adapter for this, or is that a Really Dumb Idea? The FX-8350 has a 720W no-name PSU I don't trust at all, and I'm not sure what the better option is.
>>
>>78836707
Forgot to mention my current display is 1080p@60Hz. New display would be no less than 4K@120Hz, since I wanted to either game in 4K or 1080p w/ integer scaling if 4K is slowing things down too much.

I know a lot of people game at 1440p@144hz these days but I really want a display with tons of pixels for desktop productivity usage, so I think that's out.
>>
>>78818371
Is there a site or other way that I can check my internet connection over a long period of time (like 24 hours or so)? I've been having pretty spotty internet, the problem is it's hard to diagnose because it doesn't happen often. But for example the other day I was on a Google Meet call and I got disconnected twice in the span of an hour. But I might also go all day without any issues.
Both my router and modem are cheap and a few years old so I want to figure out which one it is.

Is there a site like speedtest.net but that lets me run it all day and night? Or is there any other way I can check to see when my internet cuts out over the course of a day? I want to hook up directly to my modem and do that to see if it's the router or the modem.
>>
File: unix_dir.png (30 KB, 711x423)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>78836604
Pay attention to what user the services (web apps(?)) run as.
>>
>>78836812
couldn't you try writing a loop that pings something like google for some amount of time then saves that to a text file? if it's just the quality of the connection itself you're trying to diagnose i figure pingback time should be sufficient
>>
>>78835458
jesus christ. that computer is like 15 years old. I used to have one and it constantly got BSODs
>>
>>78836707
8350 is good enough (tm). the 7850 will probably be bottlenecking it for the time you'll be having that
that being said 100% you won't be able to run 4k with it though, at least not above 60fps for most newer games anyway
as for power delivery i'm not sure but it seems like ppl are selling molex + 4pin CPU to 8pin CPU adapters, so i reckon you could get one of those and be fine
>>
>>78836850
perhaps...... I'm not much of a coder though
>>
>>78836974
>be fine
i forget my standards for what makes fine is lower than most, forget this.
you may be fine but it's not good praxis by a long shot. get a PSU with a native 8pin for your own good
>>
File: 1307384763512.jpg (6 KB, 184x172)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
how do i block ads on roku apps such as Youtube, VRV, and Tubi?
>>
>>78837222
AdGuard DNS
>>
File: 1575758622090.png (8 KB, 280x151)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
How do you fix this shit
>>
I recently upgraded to a 1440p monitor, but my secondary monitor is still 1080p. Is there a way to make it so that text is only enlarged on my 1440p monitor? Its annoying to have to reset the zoom when I move a window to my 1080p monitor
>>
>>78837428
Tried googling? https://www.pcworld.com/article/2953978/use-windows-10s-individual-display-scaling-to-perfect-your-multi-monitor-setup.html
>>
>>78837347
use the youtube nonstop browser addon

>>78837269
I'm looking into that now. apparently my router doesn't have the option to change dns settings, at least not from what I can find.
>>
just got a 14tb easystore from the bestbuy sale
i plan on shucking it

(1) What is the most thorough health check I can do on the drive? Chkdsk?

(2) Will said health check run any faster if I shuck it and run it over SATA?
>>
>>78818371
/tpg/ is useless. How do I start with buying a thinkpad to use as a linux machine?
>>
>>78836858
thanks for the trip down memory lane
I just needed to know what the top spec cards I could upgrade to
I can't make sense of the threads from other sites
>>
>>78837695
Try a SMART extended test.
>Will said health check run any faster
Tests are probably all limited by the disk speed.

>>78837711
1. procure thinkpad
2. install linus
Is this your first time?
>>
>>78837711
>>78837811
https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation
>>
>>78837811
>>78837834
Yes it's my first time.
Not very helpful. What should I look for in searching for a thinkpad to buy?
>>
>>78837870
Did you read /tpg/ OP? There's a list of models they recommend. You should ask yourself what do you need/want and compare it /tpg/ ones. Once you find a model you can afford or that you just like, look for reviews or its page on the thinkwiki for possible further info about hidden troubles or tweaks
>>
>>78837541
You should usually be able to do this on the device directly
>>
>>78837541
Just install adaway if you have a rooted phone
>>
What's a solid tablet I can buy for my little bro to use for school? He's currently rocking some cheap shit they gave away for free with a phone. I'm skeptical of fire tablets, they come with bloat and ads. I want to avoid that crap.
>>
I’m not tech savvy at all. I built a computer:

>Radeon 480 8gb
>Ryzen 1700x
>16gb ram
>b350 tomahawk

Would I get better performance out of my ps4 pro or my computer for playing cyber punk? If ps4 is better, any way I can upgrade my PC for $400 or less to make it better than a pro?

Thanks for answering. I know I’m a faggot for asking.

>pic unrelated, 4th time I’ve found this at a goodwill
>>
What search engine do you guys use for image searches? I've yet to find a decent one ever since Google started making it difficult to save an image from the results page.
Preferably one that doesn't require javascript, but I can live with that if it works well enough
>>
File: Yandex.png (38 KB, 1200x698)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>78838167
>>
>>78838187
Ah sweet, thanks man
>>
Is it okay to update my torrent program? I'm using qtorrent.
>>
Is it likely a virus or spyware would survive a full factory reset on an Android phone? I've always kept the bootloader locked if it matters.
>>
>>78837695
Badblocks command from a linux live. It's going to take something in the neighborhood of 5 days. You might get a little extra speed by shucking first, but it's not worth voiding your warranty before you've got a chance to test the drive.

>>78837222
You probably can't. My experience is that they're getting better at resisting DNS blocking, especially youtube. You would need something where you could sideload apps, like firestick or android/google tv.

>>78838377
You should always keep internet facing software up to date. I'm assuming you mean qbittorrent.

>>78838140
They're fairly similar hardware, but the pro version is going to be specifically optimized for what it's running on, so it might be a little smoother. No way to really tell until after it launches. It's really all on the devs, and who the hell knows what's going on there. If you were going to spend an extra 400, I doubt you could do better than a PS5.
>>
>>78831541
you aren't forced to use it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.