[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: shit.jpg (14 KB, 442x293)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
Why is this ecosystem so freakishly difficult to use? I have a GUI application that has a JButton and a JLabel. When I run it it's a good ten seconds before the JButton appears (if it appears at all, mind you). How is it even possible for this language and release (11) to be this fucking slow?
>>
>>78807021
I got fucked and ended up knowing Java the best out of all languages I can write, what do I switch to to avoid webdev?
>>
>>78807021
at that rate it is programmer error
>>
>>78807058
no it is not. Java 8 was not this slow
>>
>Using Swing or AWT
you have nobody but yourself to blame
Also, even Swing works fine, but use JavaFX anyway, it's best. Also stick to whatever is the latest OpenJDK, don't use oracle shit.
>>
File: scala.png (13 KB, 493x202)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
Beanbros, thoughts on pic related? It caught my eye, I wanna know what sets it apart from namebrand Java.
>>
>>78807064
i'm using AdoptOpenJDK 11, but I tried 15 just to see if that would fix it. Not using JavaFX though
>>
>>78807079
DESU I need an overview/introduction to the java ecosystem. Nothing makes any sense. What library to I use to make a GUI? There are like 300
>>
>>78807062
>>78807021
>When I run it it's a good ten seconds before the JButton appears
>(if it appears at all, mind you)
demonstrate an instance of something like a JButton or JLabel etc, simply "not working" that isn't an instance of programmer error. i get that you're an all star programmer, but i'd love to hear you try and substantiate why you think java 11 just "freakishly difficult to use"
>>
>>78807064
Honestly, I kind of GET Swing. Like, the way you inject behavior into archetypes of the behavior make sense to me.

But I'm super weird and not at all a GUI dev and don't want to be one and think all people who are/do are out of their minds, so that's me.
>>
>>78807095
ok, wait a minute
>>
>>78807079
just use JavaFX then, on OpenJDK 8 and only 8, after that, everything only got worse
>>78807093
"library"? 300? Where are you even getting this?
There are three major GUI toolkits if that's what you mean.
AWT - Outdated
Swing - Still widely used, pros is it's part of JDK, cons is everything else
JavaFX - Almost no adoption, less support, not part of the JDK (compile it into your binary with your dependency solution of choice) far more modern and has way better docs plus best WYSIWYG editor
>>
>>78807098
Really with Swing and any GUI toolkit that isn't Qt, it's pretty simple, you have an action a user can perform on some GUI element, and you have code that executes as a reaction to that element, plain and simple. They're all OnClick, etc, you don't necessarily have to have some action constitute a reaction, but generally speaking that's what most of code that's gonna be run is.

The only odd one out that i know is Qt, which uses some weird thing like Signals and Receptacles or something, it's very bizarre, then again, it also forces you to use it's primitives instead of native C++ ones, which is already weird
>>
File: shit.webm (900 KB, 1280x800)
900 KB
900 KB WEBM
>>78807095
please show me how i am being retarded, i know the language cannot be this slow.
>>
>>78807200
>please show me how i am being retarded, i know the language cannot be this slow.
explain to me how that's not you being a complete retard?
>>
>>78807227
I wrapped JButton in a class called AButton which is nothing more than a constructor with a few defaults I like my buttons to have.

package Widgets;

import javax.swing.*;

public class AButton extends JButton {

public AButton(String text, Integer x, Integer y) {
super(text);
this.setBounds(x,y, 200,50);
this.setFocusable(false);
this.setVisible(true);
}
}

I then call it in the main view, which is just a JFrame

import Widgets.AButton;

import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;

public class MainView extends CustomFrame {
JButton generate;
JLabel label;

public MainView() throws HeadlessException {
super();
generate = new AButton("Generate PDF", 200, 200);
generate.addActionListener(e -> print());

label = new JLabel();
label.setBounds(100, 100, 50, 50);
label.setText("hello");
label.setVisible(false);

this.add(generate);
this.add(label);
}

public void print() {
label.setVisible(true);
}

}

it's slow as balls
>>
>>78807247
My MainView is just a customized JFrame

import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;

public class CustomFrame extends JFrame {

public CustomFrame() throws HeadlessException {
this.setSize(500,500);
this.setVisible(true);
this.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
this.setResizable(true);
this.setTitle("Reports");
//ImageIcon imageIcon = new ImageIcon("logo.png");
//this.setIconImage(imageIcon.getImage());
//this.getContentPane().setBackground(Color.GREEN);
}

public CustomFrame(String title) throws HeadlessException {
this.setSize(500,500);
this.setVisible(true);
this.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);
this.setResizable(true);
this.setTitle(title);
}
}

and you can see which one is created by Main
public class Main {
public static void main(String[] args) {
MainView m = new MainView();
}
}

I still don't understand why this is so goddamn slow. Is it because I have Swing imported in a few places? Does Java not optimize imports or something?
>>
>>78807200

looks like an os or hardware level IO issue desu.
>>
>>78807307
it's Big Sir, /g/ told me this is the ultimate Java OS
>>
>>78807323
do the needful big sir and run java
>>
>>78807021
how do i learn java
>>
>>78807407
You don't.
>>
Need java resources
>>
>>78807200
Have you tried running it outside IntelliJ?
>>
>>78808885
when i try to run the jar file with java or by double clicking it it says

Error: Could not find or load main class .Users.anon.IdeaProjects.reports.out.artifacts.reports.reports.jar
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: /Users/anon/IdeaProjects/reports/out/artifacts/reports/reports/jar
>>
>>78809166
Please refrain from hating on Java until you have learned the bare essentials.
Thread closed.
>>
>>78807247
I tried you example and everything is instant. Something is wrong with your environment
>>
>>78807021
>JButton and a JLabel
nobody had been using swing in the past 10 years. Nowadays its all about springboot with angular or react, the button should implemented in those technologies
>>
OP, see >>78809506

>>78807064
>>78810095
Actually, JavaFX and [anything XAML-based] were just a distraction for designer faggots. Swing and WinForms are still receiving updates to make them fit for hi-ppi, "advanced" accessibility and for staying forever. Meanwhile, JavaFX got thrown out, because Oracle realized using a crap-tier DSL to produce GUIs that are unironically even worse on ressources than electorn just because some arsehole wants to spend money on a bloated template from a specific bulgarian company isn't that much fun.
>>
>using retarded Java GUI tools
>not using web interface
>>
>>78809166
that's why beginners should not use an IDE
>>
>>78810001
I'm using a mac. The environment is perfect.
>>
>>78812648
>using retarded Java GUI tools
>not using retarded web interface tools
>>
>>78807247
>>78807290
>constructing GUI objects on the main thread
You're a fucking retard.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/swing/SwingUtilities.html#invokeLater(java.lang.Runnable)
>>
>>78810902
Nothing you wrote in this post is true.
>>
>>78813191
>Everything you wrote in this post is true.
ftfy
>>
File: 1604227882290.png (315 KB, 1400x1400)
315 KB
315 KB PNG
>>78812814
>I'm using a mac. The environment is perfect.
>>
File: javachad.png (270 KB, 2518x1024)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>78810902
>Actually, JavaFX and [anything XAML-based] were just a distraction for designer faggots.
False.
>Swing and WinForms are still receiving updates to make them fit for hi-ppi, "advanced" accessibility and for staying forever.
Swing got a JEP for a DPI update years ago and it has had over 50 bug fixes and is still broken and inconsistent.
https://vaadin.com/blog/technical-erosion-and-java-swing
>Meanwhile, JavaFX got thrown out because Oracle realized using a crap-tier DSL to produce GUIs that are unironically even worse on ressources than electorn just because some arsehole wants to spend money on a bloated template from a specific bulgarian company isn't that much fun.
False.
>https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/the-future-of-javafx-and-other-java-client-roadmap-updates
>Starting with JDK 11, Oracle is making JavaFX easier to adopt by making the technology available as a separate download, decoupled from the JDK. These changes clear the way for new contributors to engage in the open source OpenJFX community.
Gluon actively develops JavaFX, and the team is composed of former Oracle and Sun engineers who worked on Java.

>to produce GUIs that are unironically even worse on ressources than electorn
Post your shitty performance comparison code so that I can publicly mock your incompetence.
>>
>>78813562
>>Actually, JavaFX and [anything XAML-based] were just a distraction for designer faggots.
>False.
You mean, absolutely correct. OOTB both XAML and JavaFX applications look like shit. Using Swing it's just applying a theme. Windows forms looks correct by default.

>>Swing and WinForms are still receiving updates to make them fit for hi-ppi, "advanced" accessibility and for staying forever.
>Swing got a JEP for a DPI update years ago and it has had over 50 bug fixes and is still broken and inconsistent.
>https://vaadin.com/blog/technical-erosion-and-java-swing
Well, that's true. And it sure sucks that you have to install accessibility bridge. And even within that garbage state it's still worlds better than FX.

>>Meanwhile, JavaFX got thrown out because Oracle realized using a crap-tier DSL to produce GUIs that are unironically even worse on ressources than electorn just because some arsehole wants to spend money on a bloated template from a specific bulgarian company isn't that much fun.
>False.
What part you dumb faggot? The part where DSLs are an absolutely dogshit idea to the point that most got ended by even Python? The fact that for XAML applications even NVidia and AMD dump money on Telerik skins because nobody can't be arsed to create "declarative" GUIs?

>>https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/the-future-of-javafx-and-other-java-client-roadmap-updates
>>Starting with JDK 11, Oracle is making JavaFX easier to adopt by making the technology available as a separate download, decoupled from the JDK. These changes clear the way for new contributors to engage in the open source OpenJFX community.
>Gluon actively develops JavaFX, and the team is composed of former Oracle and Sun engineers who worked on Java.
That's just marketing speech for "we don't care anymore, unimportant cloud/webshit company X can take over."

>Post your shitty performance comparison code
Just google some memory benchmarks outside of your blogosphere.
>>
File: SandInMyTwitterClitter.jpg (182 KB, 1600x900)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>78813562
>wastes 5 hours fixing a memory leak because he forgot to free a pointer.

Big OOF
>>
>>78807021

I enjoy Java and it makes me a lot of money.
>>
>>78814293
Well done. This is the correct attitude towards software development. Because it's not a world of bespoke craft, since brainlets, "artisans", "scientists", "hackers" and other scum gets in the way of that idea.
>>
>>78814350
Thanks
>>
>>78807021
Are GUI applications in Java big? My impression was that Java is dominant on Server applications?
>>
>>78814385
Your impression is right, although there are quite a number of legacy applications.
>>
File: evangelist wanted.jpg (91 KB, 1116x565)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>78814009
>You mean, absolutely correct. OOTB both XAML and JavaFX applications look like shit. Using Swing it's just applying a theme. Windows forms looks correct by default.
False. There is literally nothing wrong with declarative UI programming. Both JavaFX and Swing support declarative and procedural styles so your point it moot even if you wrongly disagree.

>And even within that garbage state it's still worlds better than FX.
No it's not. JavaFX has a far superior runtime, and developer tools. The scene graph of JavaFX has no equivalent in Swing and makes it loads more performant for things like game programming and general Node manipulation.
>https://jaxenter.com/taking-closer-look-javafx-134565.html

>What part you dumb faggot?
All of it. Literally nothing you wrote is correct; it's a mishmash of emotional outburst likely from a bad experience you had in trying to port your legacy Swing into modern JavaFX. Much like OP of this thread: "Java Hate Thread" because he forgot to use the EDT.

>That's just marketing speech for "we don't care anymore, unimportant cloud/webshit company X can take over."
Oracle has done much to modularize Java. Moving JavaFX out of the core distribution was a good move for all, and JavaFX development has improved in quality and pace since moving to a dedicated team. It's not some random incubator project; it has core Java engineers working on it.

>Just google some memory benchmarks outside of your blogosphere.
That's not how burdens work, fren. You made the claim.
>>
>>78814009
>thinking that just fitting in with the system theme is good enough for a consumer desktop application
holy fuck just stop embarassing yourself
>>
>>78814385
Still a great solution for cross-platform GUI, these days Oracle wants you to bundle the JRE with the program anyway.
If you want true cross-platform, there's very few other options.
>>
>>78807200
That's because your retarded operating system has to first send a hash of the program to Apple servers to confirm it's not doubleplus ungood wrongthink, and execute only after it receives confirmation.
It caches the results so that's why it's much faster the second time.
Literally install Gentoo.
>>
>>78807077
when scala 3 comes out and libraries switch to it will be a good replacement
BUT java will always be used because its easy
>>
>>78807021
>Desktop UI in 2020
>>
>>78807077
the only language used for big data
>>
>>78807021
just use C#

it was already the superior language in terms of syntax, productivity and ecosystem.
now its by far the superior language performance-wise.

also open source and multiplat.
>>
you can use JavaFX without DSL
>>
>>78807021
>>78807036
>>78807058
>>78807062
>>78807064
>>78807077
>>78807095
>>78807185
>>78807200
>>78809166
>>78809506
>>78813562
>>78817746
>>78816662
Using Swing, jars, or for C# using WPF, or VB forms, is so shit past 2010. Pick up a MVC framework for Java and make it a web app. There's 15 million of them.
>>
>>78817847
Go away web app nigger
WinForms, JavaFX, Qt are all still king.
Go learn your new js framework stinky
>>
>>78817847
WPF sucks
>>
>>78817746
>also open source and multiplat.
>multiplatform
HAHAHAHAHA! fag
>>
>>78817847
>replys all
>has retard opinion
wow
>>
I need resources to learn Java GUI program development
>>
>>78807021
>has problems with a framework
>blames the language

>>78807036
java is one of, if not the best and most mature ecosystems out there. some of the tooling is showing its age, but I don't think it's going to go away quite yet.
>>
>>78817995
Your favorite OS and programming language sucks.
>>
File: ?.png (51 KB, 760x329)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>78819060
>>also open source and multiplat.
>>multiplatform
>HAHAHAHAHA! fag
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: cc1.jpg (47 KB, 619x453)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
I've been learning Java for 3 years now and it only got slightly easier. I can create a GUI in JavaFX, I can write a simple webapp but I still feel like such a brainlet.
I just want to get a job which will let me move out and one day start a family, lads
>>
>>78819480

JavaFX is not that bad in my opinion but I feel there are more legacy Swing apps to maintain when it comes to paid work
>>
I make routers and embedded systems. I use C, Javascript and Lua daily, but Java is just such a pain in the ass for me. It's not that the language and OOP concepts are difficult, I already understand them. What is hard is the ecosystem. Why is everything incompatible? Why can't I just use one build system? Why is maven so slow? Why, if I am targeting Java 11, can I not execute Java 5 bytecode if it's all supposedly "backward compatible"? Everything about the Java ecosystem sucks.
>>
>>78819614
I'm waiting for his response just for the lols
>>
>>78819480
go javafx, picture the event loop/thread, anything GUI goes there, because we don't multithread GUIs. Nobody does. Then fuck that fml nonsense and write your components in code. library genesis should give you some current books. pick one, or two, see if you like them.
>>
File: akyuu1.jpg (930 KB, 820x1230)
930 KB
930 KB JPG
>>78807290
Try calling JFrame.setVisible(true); or JFrame.pack() AFTER adding all components and setting window properties. The frame must be explicitly told to update itself after adding or modifying components. That's why the button in >>78807200 only appears when dragging the window. It's definitely not that the language/framework is slow.
>>
I use proprietary shit written by Oracle for my company at work, its heavily database related where some forms people work on are just HTML but some need to be ran externally in the JRE and I shit you not, at least 30% of the time it ends in an error and simply won't load. This is shit written by Oracle for my employer, a Fortune 500 multinational.

And we just deal with it
>>
>>78817971
>>78819823
JavaFX is a still born. Except for indulging in your own personal interests, there is no point in learning it. Companies don't use it, they either use legacy swing applications or use web-frontends.
>>
if i don't know java should i just start with Kotlin?
>>
>>78819903
just because it has shitty adoption doesn't mean it's bad, if you don't fit it into either supporting legacy shitware or building onions apps - use JavaFX, best solution for cross platform UI.
>>
>>78819921
javafx is what they taught us in my second semester CS class
>>
>>78819990
They taught us Swing instead, and it was pretty bad, it almost discouraged me from learning programming as a whole.
>>
https://github.com/dlsc-software-consulting-gmbh/FormsFX
>>
>>78819903
>Except for indulging in your own personal interests
Or, you know, plenty of in-house applications that never get posted on the web.
>>
File: trump tommy gun.png (210 KB, 1000x1000)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>Fedora 33 is a polished OS for developers

>run javafx helloworld
Gtk-Message: 10:15:52.462: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 10:15:52.463: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 10:15:52.463: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 10:15:52.463: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
>>
>>78819832
>Try calling JFrame.setVisible(true); or JFrame.pack() AFTER adding all components and setting window properties.
This is the issue I was going to write it out, it is working but he has not embedded the code in the constructor or component correctly that once an event occurs in the window it is displayed.

It is one of the most basic issues...
>>
File: postal pepe.jpg (226 KB, 600x583)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>78820427
sudo dnf install canberra-gtk-module pk-gtk-module
Last metadata expiration check: 0:27:40 ago on Sun 22 Nov 2020 09:49:04.
No match for argument: canberra-gtk-module
No match for argument: pk-gtk-module
Error: Unable to find a match: canberra-gtk-module pk-gtk-module
>>
I have spent 2 hours trying and failing to get a JavaFX hello world to compile on my god damn IntelliJ Idea IDE. I could have done the whole fucking thing in C++ with QT by now, fuck
>>
>>78820806
I think this is why Java is adopted more frequently to create a barrier of entry so if you refuse to read the compiler exception outputs and documentation you cannot use the more advanced features of Java.
>>
>>78819738
Hold on a second. I need to find a way to move the goal posts so I can win an internet argument. Ah fuck it I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>78807021
>I have a GUI application that has a JButton and a JLabel
That's where you went wrong. There are other languages much better at doing GUIs (and yes, I've done this stuff enough to say from experience).

But that 10s delay is usually a sign of some other problem such as doing a big database fetch in the GUI thread. Programmer error is not the language's fault.
>>
>>78816673
>python or R exist
not so fast, buddy
>>
>>78815763
Literally this. Your OS is phoning home.
>>
>>78807036
idk why you want to go off from Java, but if you want an as mature ecosystem with actual nice documentation and actual nice tools, i would suggest C#:

-high marketability(employability)
-very similar to Java (so your transition wont be as hard as other tools such as Python)
-MS although its inventing new useless shit every 2 years or so, it doesnt remove old shit, and also MS is king in enterprise with legacy frameworks (like old .NET APIs) still working to this day.

>TL;DR
MS is the antithesis of Silicon Valley webshit
>>
File: 1602911864262.jpg (73 KB, 500x500)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>78822123
based ms. java is also based. fuck silican valley. fuck webshit. and fuck jannies.
>>
>>78822123
Quite rare to see something sensible on /g/
>>
>>78807021
>gets sued for using an API
NOTHING PERSONAL, JAVA PAJEET
>>78807290
>>78807247
Imagine using Java when Go & C# exist to fill the same niche and are better in every way.
>>
>>78821406
>But that 10s delay is usually a sign of some other problem such as doing a big database fetch in the GUI thread. Programmer error is not the language's fault.
but in this case it is clearly not, because you saw the code, there's nothing about a database in there at all. it's literally just a JButton and a JLabel
>>
>>78822973
how do you do cross platform GUI's in Goo?
>>
Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name demo-locale, locale en_AU

Why can it not find this locale? I thought Java supported everything
>>
File: im retarded.png (101 KB, 1700x1137)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>78823542
ok, i'm retarded. that meant it could not find something in the folder called resources in my project (aka "the classpath")
>>
>>78815763
it was this
>>
>>78812648
Couldnt agree more. Nothing is worse than swing except javafx.
>>
I’ve always fucking hated java errors which are longer than the fucking bible

How can a language be so fucking horrible to work with?
>>
>>78823866
>not using FormsFX to just do MVC and letting FormsFX take care of all the shit work for you
lel
>>
>>78823163
There's a bunch of different shit, even bindings for gtk
coming in february is an embed option to embed other files in the executable (images/html/js etc, anything) SO I hope something will come out to kill electronmeme
>>
>>78807021
So you're a shit engineer who chose a wrong tool
>>
>>78825032
whatever, Prakeet
>>
Has anyone used FormsFX before? How do I get the text from the form? Reeeeing pretty hard right now
>>
>>78807077
Scalachads, unite!
>>
The real question is:
>Swing
or
>JavaFX

And what do you think of this?
https://gluonhq.com/native-windows-applications-using-gluon-substrate-javafx-and-graalvm/
>>
>>78807036
>Why is this ecosystem so freakishly difficult to use?
Maven is pretty comfy desu.

>I have a GUI
Ooops.
>>
>>78826310
I was very disappointed to learn that substrate doesn't work with clojure at the moment.
>>
>>78826444
From a quick peek around the github, it seems like it's just a maven plugin that runs a program. I'm rather inexperienced and I don't know if that's actually the case. It seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to rig it to work with the output of any JVM language.
>>
>>78826795
>It seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to rig it to work with the output of any JVM language.
That's what I thought as well, hell it seems to work perfectly fine with Kotlin looking at the bug tracker, but trying to use it on Clojure's (with leiningen) compiled output gives some error that I have am not experienced enough to understand. (I tried it with maven as well but it didn't work for a similar reason.) There's an issue in the repository that requests support for working on uberjars instead of on the compiled output, and I think if that gets supported Clojure javafx programs could be graaled, but there hasn't been any attention on that issue from the developers yet.
>>
>>78822123
thanks for this post
i want to learn c# to build enterprise apps with it. seems like a sensible choice
>>78822123
im in the same situation but with python
its the only language i have years of real experience. i used to love it but it annoys me now, i hate the type system and I hate how unmaintainable it can get if youre not very careful. its unironically too flexible
>>
Java Virtual Machine is awesome.
The programming language is meh. Verbose and shit.
Fucked up type ereasure with Generics.

BUT if you create gui with Java FX you have a nice time. And every "native" GUI framework is shit. Every.
Thats why people move to electron... wich is also shit or purely PWAs wich is in a lot of case fucking dumb. JavaFX is really acceptable and quite nice, since you have FXML to seperate GUI from Logic wich you do not have in Swing.
I worked sadly enough with multiple GUI frameworks, like WPF, Kivy and QT. And Java FX is really Ok.

You can use Kotlin btw to have a little syntactic sugar.

But... all in all its a tollerable Language.
>>
>>78827307
JavaFX is nice, but FXML is a dumb meme. It's much nicer to simply do your GUI components in code. Shit will typically be populated as needed anyways, so you want to have good methods to add, remove, manage your child components (or whatever). FXML doesn't help at all.
Even the CSS stuff is pretty half-assed, on again, more often than not, it's much cleaner to do everything in code, where it's easier to do it clean and robust.
All the bindings/properties are sweet as hell, and they allow you to do nice, very simple and sleek MVP. Just as much as is really needed.
>>
>>78807021
I love me some Java.
>>
>>78807021
get good get javafx
>>
>>78807021
Why do we have these stupid fucking threads all the time.

You must really hate Java.

Imagine hating a language so much that you would waste time, bandwidth and energy on creating such a retarded thread.

Java is incredible if used properly.
>>
>>78807200
You're supposed to set it visible in the very end
>>
>>78827307
>The programming language is meh. Verbose and shit.
>Fucked up type ereasure with Generics.
I give you the fucked up type system. Shame about that. Other than that Java being verbose is nothing but a dumb meme, using a modern IDE (which you should be using for Java) anyways.
And if you're really anal about it, use those fancy annotation magic frameworks.
And it's quite the opposite of shit. It's stable, and yet manages to incorporate the fancy new shit that has been proven to work nice in one of the JVM meme languages like Kottler or Clopper or what not.
>>
>>78827480
This.
>>
>>78827480

You mean lombok and so on. You are definitely right about that.

FXML is quite nice to to a Build an "stucture" but not pure fuctionality, thats also right.

I think the biggest hidle is for people to "get propper setup" in a "OpenJDK" with the JFX library, wich also builds to a runnable Version.
I see shit like tha on stackoverflow a lot, and because of that people get frustrated with JFX.

But Desktop apps a practically dead, since companies want really fast development and then they tend to go to PWA solutions and Electron...

And only use Java as Backend.
Maybe if JFX would be more easy to port to mobile it would gain more wind.
But since you need to rely on "Gluon" or really complicated "JFXPorts" there is a low interest.
>>
>>78827817
>FXML is quite nice to to a Build an "stucture"
Even this is nicer in code, even more so if that structure tends to be dynamic, depending on what panels or widgets to show or hide, and so on. Modern GUIs are typically anything but static. I simply don't see value in the FXML detour, not even for forms. If you do it programmatically chances for it to be uniform and without errors are much greater. The various layout and flow containers are easy to work with and typically more sufficient.

>I think the biggest hidle is for people to "get propper setup" in a "OpenJDK" with the JFX library, wich also builds to a runnable Version.
That's true. Tooling hasn't caught up yet. Now you have jigsaw/modules, you want to build a custom image with jlink and is jpackage still a thing or something new already? And this all really should be a single click/maven X in the IDE, given your pom is ok.
Similarly the literature (as in books) is also a step behind and rather lacking in many regards. Things were easier back in Swing times.

>But Desktop apps a practically dead
I don't buy it. Fads come and go. Native apps will also win over mobile computers (phones and other meme devices) for obvious reasons. And there's a huge market of in-house applications/solutions nobody is really aware off, because you don't find that stuff on github.

>Maybe if JFX would be more easy to port to mobile it would gain more wind.
Honestly, I'm not sure JavaFX is going to stay. Who knows. Maybe something better will emerge.
>>
>>78819916
For mobie yes, kotlin is cute. But for desktop use scala.
>>
>>78807021
You fucked something up. I was writing way more complex Swing stuff in 2005, and it ran smoothly on the extremely shitty second hand computer I had at the time.

Also, I like Java a lot because of its ecosystem (specially Apache) and the fact that it's compatible with everything. If you don't care about those things, then go C# as >>78822123 said.
>>
>>78828335
>You fucked something up.
I has already been pointed out that op is a retard and didn't put his GUI components on the event dispatch thread.
Then there's the fact that he makes his component invisible for no reason, other to make it visible again right away. OP is a full honk.
>>
>>78814385
not really. I made a 3d map editor in java once, cause the alternative was c++ with mfc or qt (which wasn't mature at that time)
>>
>>78819614
I'm learning dotnet with c#. what is the optimum setup in linux? I use vs2019 in win10 rn, kinda resource hoggy. also is it truly cross platform? no hassle?
>>
>>78819856
top kek. oracle was a hack. my company finally decide to dump it and move over to postgres after being raped for almost two decade kek.
>>
>>78820850
emergent filter kek

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.