[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1588020414277.jpg (125 KB, 767x1024)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>Read the sticky:
>>51971506

>GNU/Linux questions?
>>>/g/fglt

>PC building?
>>>/g/pcbg

>Programming questions?
>>>/g/dpt

>Good, cheap, laptops?
>>>/g/tpg

>Cheap electronics?
>>>/g/csg

>Buying headphones?
>>>/g/hpg

>How to activate any version of Windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
https://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
https://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Previous Thread >>76567686
>>
Can someone tell me the most secure way to get a cracked version of an adobe product? Like there's trusted patchers but I forget where to get them from the source. Don't have to be the latest version, but would atleast like 2018 if possible.
>>
>>76584439
i think it's adobe snr patch painter or something. you should still do a mbam scan after just in case
>>
>>76584393
god I love that artist
>>
>>76584393
god i wish that were me
>>
whats with all these slide threads in the catolog did something happen today?
>>
so, edge is now just a chromium fork?
>>
>>76584393
I wanna grab a video from YouTube but I'm a brainlet and most retard proof sites say it's restricted. It's the "Slave New World" video from Tactical Toolbox. Normally idc but it's supposed to be deleted in an hour. What do?
>>
I almost fell for the smart bulb meme when I read that you seem to have to make an account through the company before you can add them to Google home. Are there any ones that are less 'botnetty' and integrate with less fuss?
>>
>>76584701
Try JDownloader

>>76584709
I recently got a Phillips hue starter pack and I'm pretty happy with it so far
I didn't have to create an account for that one and it should work with Google Home, Alexa and Apple Homekit
>>
>>76584797
Thanks, I'll look into them. I was a bit worried about getting stuck in one companies ecosystem because I can't be bothered with 10 different apps.
>>
>>76584880
No problem anon
There's an app that integrates with all of pic related
I think it also supports ZigBee so there should be plenty of options to do whatever you want
>>
File: 1523998032333.jpg (103 KB, 800x726)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nNDxBZ

Are these parts good? No GPU because I'm gonna use one I already have from my old build that died.
>>
On a 650W corsair PSU how many 3.5" 7200rpm drives would you feel comfortable attaching to a PSU cable with 2x molex connectors? Given the absolute max of 2A per drive during spinup would molex connector itself handle it?
Is splitting SATA ports safer somehow? I always feel like molex can handle more power because it looks a bit more robust.
>>
>>76582609
I looked up what the fudge a ramdisk is and I think it may have come preinstalled on my laptop because the laptop is a pure AMD rig and apparently AMD are big fans of ramdisks.
>>
>>76584978
Do you really need a NVMe SSD?
If so, get a SX8200 Pro, SN750 or 970 Evo plus.
If you don't, get a MX500 for cheap.
>>
>>76585075
mx500 has half the TBW lifespan of 860 evo
>>
>>76585118
TBW is useless, its used for warranty reasons only.
If you want to know how much it will last you check which NAND it uses.
>>
>>76584996
Never ever use Molex adapters.
>>
>>76583425
Okay so I built and ran a few of the samples that came with the CUDA toolkit and they say they can't detect the GPU either.
I just don't know what the issue could be, I am certain that my MODERN NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD supports CUDA. Its even listed in the Nvidia control panel as such.
>>
Have there been any quantum leaps in ultrabook design since 2015 that would make it a good idea to replace an xps 13 at this point in time?
>>
File: CUDA.png (61 KB, 2110x754)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>76585216
Forgot pic
>>
>>76585162
What is wrong with molex providing you're not using shitty cables? are they rated for a higher current than sata power connectors?
>>
Anyone knows if there was youtube video downloader like software where it used the youtube link to look up alternative download links with higher quality for music, maybe it was the video title.
I'm sure there was one and it could download whole playlists
>>
>>76585033
That's what I figured. I've read a bunch about it and that it's useful in some cases but haven't gotten around to testing it out myself.
>apparently AMD are big fans of ramdisks.
Neat! Did not know that.
You should be able to use freeramdisk /dev/ram(probably 0) to free it up
https://www.unix.com/man-page/linux/8/freeramdisk/

>>76585228
Better battery life and if your xps 13 doesn't already have it: charging via USB-C. I find it useful to only need one charger for your laptop and phone.
>>
Anyone know how to batch convert a folder full of .webp files to .jpg? I searched it up how to do it with ffmpeg but it told me the command couldn't use %i or something so I'm at a loss. I also used a gui program someone posted and even though it converted the files in name, it isn't actually a jpg when I try to upload it.
>>
>>76585075
>>76585118
Any particular reason? I really can't afford an EVO, I'm already splurging on it because it's 2tb. I want NVMe because I feel like the PS5 SSD is gonna push devs to design games around the expectation of an SSD being there and they're so close in price to other SSD's now.

1tb drives are REALLY cramped for me. I'm easily filling my 1.5tb HDD right now. I wanted something to put EVERYTHING on that would last a long time. Do SSD's really not last? The one I picked is TLC.

>>76585139
I know jack dick about NAND.
>>
>>76585262
Alright, good to know. Thanks.
>>
>>76585075
>SX8200
So this is actually a little cheaper and has DRAM. Sounds like a no brainer, thank you. Is it TLC? I was told to avoid QLC becuase they die much faster.
>>
>>76585281
>I want NVMe because I feel like the PS5 SSD is gonna push devs to design games around the expectation of an SSD being there and they're so close in price to other SSD's now.
It wont, its mostly a gimmick being used by current consoles.
You cant replace a good GPU with a SSD.
A NVMe SSD and a SATA SSD will perform exactly the same when it comes to games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCA0gx_eZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGdI2rNsWiE

>>76585313
It is TLC.
The only NVMe drives around that are decent are the Intel 660p and the Curcial P1(They are both exactly the same but sold under different names and models).
>>
>>76585354
>>76585313
>The only NVMe drives
The only QLC NVMe drives*
But yeah, avoid QLC, it isn't bad but its not something you want to use as a main/OS storage drive.
>>
>>76585162
Is this true?
>>
>>76585354
Really? Damn, I was all excited for the NVMe. So what 2tb SATA SSD would you recommend that's cheaper? Will they last longer

>>76585365
I don't wanna do the one drive for OS and one drive for games and media because I feel like I'll be too retarded to figure that out and juggle it. I'd rather have everything on one drive and be able to forget about it.

>>76585354
Intel 660p is definitely QLC though?
>>
What's the best framework/set of tools I can use to build an app that works across all main platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android) with minimal modifications? Does such a thing even exist?
>>
>>76585434
>>76585354
I'm not finding significantly cheaper SATA's. I even if it doesn't help for gaming I might as well get NVMe if it's not a big difference in price or longevity, right?
>>
File: file.png (472 KB, 549x598)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
I'm planning on switching from my Pixel 3a XL to this son of a bitch
>Can I just switch the SIM card from my Verizon 3a XL to this? (It's fully unlocked and supports Verizon)
>Because I know I'll catch flack for being on a carrier, what's the best non-carrier method?
>>
Are there any good textbooks to read to start learning about pen testing servers? I've seen Hack the Box and have done some limited server stuff, but I'd be lost if I just went in raw.
>>
>>76585262
When I searched "ramdisk" on DuckDuckGo this page from AMD was the second result.

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php
>>
>>76585434
They pretty much will last year unless you are writing them nonstop, and i mean writing 2300MB/s nonstop for years, SSDs this days are good for 10PB Writes.

>>76585434
Yeah 660p is QLC, but its a good drive if you are looking to store files and want to avoid 2.5" HDDs for multiple reasons.

>>76585475
MX500, SU800, WD Blue.
If the price difference isn't that big get the SX8200 Pro then.
>>
File: 1574443628688.png (676 KB, 1000x815)
676 KB
676 KB PNG
I need a wifi card for my desktop. Is there any good resource for figuring out how well they perform? Do extra antennas help? Are the heatsinks on these things actually necessary?

How much of the wifi card market makes sense and how much of it is just a big meme?
>>
>>76585637
TLDR of it is:
Look for one that uses a Intel Chipset.
Avoid Realtek cards at any price.

All the good ones are just mPCI or M2 adapters for laptop cards with antennas.
>>
>>76585569
Cheers!
I've always searched for how to set it up and whether it was useful for my use cases, so I never came across that.
Good to know!
>>
>>76585739
If you want to know what something is, search it by its name. If you want to know what hot dogs are, look up "hot dog", not "what are hot dogs?". Don't be specific unless you are looking up something specific like "halal hot dogs"
>>
>>76584393
I used to be a pc gamer in the (very) early 2000s I was very into the tech at the time but life and school and work has put me out of the loop for these past +15 years. Now I have a wife, kids, pets, and a mortgage so I don’t have the dedicated space to a gaming rig. That being said I currently, surprisingly, have about ~$1500 to spend on a laptop for myself that I would like to dedicate to some sort of CASUAL gaming.
>lmao laptop gaming
I don’t need top of the line shit and I’m not necessarily looking to run top of the line 4K games on 120fps so, shit posting aside; I’m not looking for complete specs (though they would be appreciated) but a point in the right direction would be neat. I just don’t want a console and now that the kids are in school and I work from, home I have significant free time now.
>>
>>76585863
But I already knew what it was and thus only looked for specifics I didn't know about yet.
I don't even have an AMD chip myself so it isn't even applicable to me. It's still interesting information to know I'm the back of my mind though.
>>
>>76585879
Obligatory build your desktop.
But if you really want a laptop look for MSI laptops.
AVOID ALL HP LAPTOPS.
Acer ones suck.
Lenovo has some good models, lots of bad ones.
Razer has low quality and overpriced.
Dell/Alienware is overpriced but ok.
ASUS ones have shitty heatsinks.

Just get something with a I5 or a Ryzen CPU with a GTX 1650 Super and a SSD.
The main thing you should look in a gaming laptop is the heatsink since that will say how much time the laptop will last, something with atleast 4 heatpipes is good, but as long the CPU and GPU do not share heatpipes.
Where are you from?
>>
I have a question on online bank deposits and I don't know anywhere else to ask this.
Do you need the account holder's name on the receiver's name field or can it be anybody?
>>
>>76585930
Much obliged anon
>>
>>76585984
Stealth/Thin laptops kinda suck, yeah they are portable but they also run at 90°C under load atll then time, they are the kind of laptops that you have to replace every one~two years thanks to overheating problems.
MSI GL series are good but they are bulky, nice heatsinks tho.
>>
>>76585930
I would love to build a desktop but we already have dedicated space to (very shitty) work one and I’m not looking to upgrade the work one so my options are limited. I deeply regret having kids but maybe a tiny outlet for my free time can help. Thanks anon.
>>
>>76585950
yes dumbass quit trying to scam boomers
>>
>>76586002
Thanks see >>76586015
but I very much appreciate the feedback
>>
>>76585879
just bought a gaming laptop a year back.
it's not worth it. the portability is nice but every day I wish I could return it for a desktop. laptops are not meant for gaming.
fuck the dedicated space, just build a computer and hook both towers up to the same monitor and switch between as needed.
>>
>>76584439
I always use the amtlib hack, it just werks and i havent been hacked or anything yet, used it a few times on different machines
>>
>>76584709
why are you concerned about making an account for a lightbulb when you're connecting it to your local botnet anyway?
>>
>>76586035
Just look in Amazon for MSI GL, get something that fits your budget that has any I5 CPU that is 8th,9th or 10th gen (They are almost the same in performance), and a GTX 1650, 1650 Super or 1660Ti.
And a ok cooling pad Like the thermaltake or Cooler master ones that have a single 160~200mm fan.
>>
>>76586047
Shit anon you got me conflicted now but I need to stay in the~$1500 range and that includes monitor, keyboard, and mouse so my options are very limited for the price range
>>
>>76585269
should be
 ffmpeg -i filename 
not %i
>>
>>76586104
just save up a little more and have some patience
the pc building scene right now is absolutely fucked and price gouged, everything is expensive anyway. if you wait like 6mos the next product line should arrive and you should have enough $ for some proper shit.
>>
File: Dn_fsvGUwAAuP9t.png (1.14 MB, 1073x1500)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
Got home super late, sorry if anyone was waiting on me from yesterday:

>>76577316
Might be cheaper to get the Audio&Mic to USB adapter I linked than paying a shop to tell you that your mobo is broken.

>>76580082
Glad that worked out, forgot you can do it that way.

>>76582667
It's been a few years since I've used the Windows VPN for someone, and even then that was an external connection to my LAN so they could mask as my IP. I have a few ideas but don't have the environment to test it for you. I suspect that USB-Tethering requires some external software to emulate the connection as a network adapter on the host.

>>76583425
The second link might be what you need, you can just put in any bullshit and it gives you the CUDA for download. I couldn't get my Neural-Network model to work without it initially.

>>76585637
Do you plan to just use it to connect to the network? Get a PCI card that supports 802.11ac. Not sure what your budget is but this would be fine https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-T6E-Wireless-Technology/dp/B016K0896K/

>>76585216
Open CMD and type 'nvcc -V' and screenshot me the results.

>>76584978
Those parts look good to me. As for the M.2, not familiar with the brand but reviews look really good. M.2 not going to give you better frames but will give you smaller load times, but not too noticeable from an SSD. Would probably outlive the SSD anyway.
>>
>>76584393
test
>>
>>76586102
I see a lot of i7s in my price range, is that an issue?
>>
>>76586142
do not gimp yourself
you will absolutely fucking regret buying a shit top for gaming
>>
>>76586142
No, they are better than a I5 but you want to focus in the GPU more than anything since you want to use it to play games.
>>
>>76585637
I bought an intel ax200 w/ pcie 4x adapter off ebay for about $20. it has wifi6 and maxes the bandwidth on my router, plus drivers for windows and linux both worked flawlessly. highly recommend, i feeel like paying more for that is a gimmick since they're all mobile adapters mounted on a pcie card anyway, it's the same shit that's in every laptop
>>
>>76584797
hate how expensive the hue bulbs are.
>>
>>76585637
a whole card is kind of a meme bro
why don't you just get a usb antenna?
>>
File: HxD_screenshot.png (35 KB, 345x224)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
How do I learn to do magic with pic related? How the fuck do people learn to do anything with these things?
>>
>>76586114
from the manpage, here is an example:
 ffmpeg -i myfile.webp -target vcd /tmp/vcd.jpg 
i would just run that over your whole folder of webp using something like *
>>
>>76586131
The window is limited and closing if I don’t spend the money now something will come up (wife/kids)

>>76586162
>>76586167
Can you recommend a particular model? Like I said top of the line shit isn’t a priority over longevity and basic functionality
>>
>>76586192
usb antenna support is pretty poor on linux and the performance always kinda sucks. plus, pci adapters are just about the same price on ebay or amazon
>>
File: 2.gif (105 KB, 161x250)
105 KB
105 KB GIF
>>76586224
>over longevity and basic functionality
>gaming laptop
i tried my best to sway you from making a complete dipshit decision but you seem hellbent. godspeed
>>
>>76586224
Meant for you>>76586161
not you>>76586167
>>
>>76586224
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-PCIE-Wifi-6-Adapter-Desktop-Wireless-2400Mbps-BT-5-0-AX200-NGW-Wifi-Adapte/392854542328?epid=14035042945&hash=item5b77f497f8:g:064AAOSwmHJevlK7

this is what i bought, it doesnt actually come with the heatsink from the pic but it's still super easy to setup and get going, plus its fast af
>>
>>76586231
respectable. i hadn't even thought about linux capability. guess the onboard drivers for those usb antennas are pretty much entirely windows based, hadn't considered that. hell, haven't used a fucking wifi connection in years
>>
>>76586240
Point me to a good desktop/monitor/keyboard/mouse for less than 1800 and maybe I can make it work but the elitist attitude in the community claims its impossible so what’s up? Can I make the price work or not?
>>
>>76584393
i recently installed arch on my desktop, and all is well. but when booting, i have to choose the boot device every time, which lists all disks connected to my computer. in my bios when trying to choose default boot device it shows my windows bootloader and even some bootloaders for my old linux installs, plus boot from lan and any USBs that are plugged in. why doesnt my grub for arch show up here? on my other linux install (that i wrote arch over and doesn't exist anymore) show up? where is that info cached and how can i redirect it? I haven't used windows in months I just keep it so I can boot autocad if I need.
>>
>>76586286
why are you so fucking hellbent to waste your money
of course you can make it work its 1500 fucking dollars
logicalincrements.com
you can build a computer that would be able to run "casual" gaming at half of your fucking budget, at the positive of being modular and upgradeable.
>>
Can someone give me a torrent for something legal to test if my bittorrent client works?
It's failing to start the download for what I was trying to download.
>>
>>76586266
it wouldn't be so bad if the usb wifi antenna manufactuers would stop choosing broadcom chipsets for wireless. the intel drivers work fine, but so few of them do, it's a pain trying to figure out what does and doesn't work, when almost all of the pci ones do

(written by someone who hadnt used wifi in years and then moved to an apartment where they wont give me ethernet, causing a multi-month struggle to get wifi on linux)
>>
>>76586286
you can have a "casual" gaming experience for well under $700, whereas that is barely even a start for laptops

if you want a laptop, get a laptop, but if you don't have any big reason to get it, you can save money and get something stronger on desktop, hell even prebuilts
>>
>>76586312
Oh. God damn that's fucking miserable.
>>
>>76586286
You can get a Ryzen 5/7 and a 2070 for 1700 including the monitor/kb&m.
I made a list 2 months ago for someone. [spoiler]They ended up spending 3 grand or some shit.[/spoiler]
>>
>>76586324
yea but i got it all figured out so i'm happy boy now. those days are behind me
>>
>>76586306
just download an ubuntu iso or something
>>
File: cmd.png (9 KB, 463x121)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>76586136
>Open CMD and type 'nvcc -V' and screenshot me the results.
>>
>>76586303
Ok well why didn’t you give that link 5 posts ago anon
>>
>>76586333
I’ll look into it thanks was mostly looking for direction
>>
>>76586353
I discovered that website so long ago and refer to it so often that I absent-mindedly consider it common knowledge. definitely should've linked it sooner. at least you won't be buying a fucking laptop anymore.
>>
>>76584393
is it possible to harness full control the windows commandline from a program i'm writing in java? in particular i'm wanting to clear the screen (and at times only certain sections of it), and print to certain sections of it
>>
>>76586365
I do appreciate the help anon. I was mostly looking for direction rather than direct recommendations. Shit has changed quite a bit since 2008
>>
>>76586224
>Can you recommend a particular model?
Literally any of them will work.

>>76586192
Not him but they all suck if you have internet faster than 20MB/s.
>>
>>76586224
For example:
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL639SDK611-Windows-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B07R75QB2K/
>>
>>76586435
please stop posting your shit advice. that thing is a fucking overpriced monstrosity. would you actually fucking buy that thing with your own money? disgusting
>>
>>76586451
Because i gave up with the "Build a desktop" speech since most people refuse to do it and end buying a shitty HP/Acer laptop instead that gives them problems after a year.
Bulding a desktop is way better in every way possible, and space can be fixed by using a mATX or ITX build but not everyone wants to do it.
The first thing i said was
>Obligatory build a desktop
For a reason.

MSI laptops are decent because they use 4-8 heatpipes so they don't overheat like other laptops.
Shame about the soldered power jacks though.
If he wants a laptop and has the money to get a laptop even when he knows the downsides, what is the problem?
>>
I downloaded Manjaro KDE on my 2015 XPS 13. It has 4GB RAM which I thought would be fine, but my system can pretty easily lock up for minutes at a time if I have steam open and a few Chromium browser tabs. Am I a dumbass for using Chromium or is there some other issues I may have accidentally created.

I'm getting better performance on Manjaro than I ever did on Windows, but my Laptop never froze for minutes. I need to learn to read htop better.
>>
>>76584486
Who?
>>
Retard here, is this the right tape to use if my cable is showing exposed wires? I can just wrap this around it?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Metre-Electrical-Insulation-White/dp/B0089KI442
>>
>>76586516
KDE is also pretty heavy, you can probably get even more performance if you use a DE like lxde or something like that (possibly more if you're willing to forego a DE entirely for something like i3,but that's a complete change in workflow)

chromium always is more ram hungry for me than firefox, you could try that and see if it helps
>>
>>76586480
Do you wince when you see a car crash? Do you flinch when someone does that throw-punch-half-way shit? Same thing.
>>
>>76586516
that being said, lockup might not be because of ram usage. it could be some other software being an issue. i would take it to the fglt thread, those guys are better than me at figuring this stuff out. but I don't get any lockups at all on my chromebook running manjaro, which also has 4gb and a shit processor, so there is probalby something else at play here
>>
File: 1571697069513.png (78 KB, 282x300)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
Where can I DL a fresh macOS install to put on an old macbook? It's for a friend so there's no talking out of it...
And is the process the same as installing any other OS on a machine?
>>
>>76586602
>>76586611

I'm new and putting my toes in the water to see if I want to put it on my main desktop. I'm thinking it has to be something else, I was thinking of trying a smaller change like switching to Gnome or XFCE simply because they're "officially" packaged with Manjaro on the website and I know a full wipe would clear out any software issues I may have caused.
>>
Is there a file that is accessed when I open a cmd window? Like .bashrc on a terminal on Linux?
>>
>>76586633
im currently using xfce with manjaro and absolutely fucking love it, would recommend. would make this my main desktop operating system but muh vidiya games
>>
>>76586649
are you the same guy trying to do that cmd line printing and clearing shit
if you described your use case / intended functionality a little better it might be easier to give you some advice
>>
>>76586672
I'm not that guy.

I'm trying to make comands like mp4tomp3, mp4towebm and giftowebm (using ffmpeg) run directly in the command prompt, without having to create batch files. I think I can use DOSKEY, but how to have those commands ready to go every time I open a cmd window?
>>
File: AVlGVs5.png (19 KB, 350x172)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>76586695
You need to add the programs to the Path environment variable.
>>
>>76586624
How old are we talking?
It might not be supported anymore by Apple but you can patch it
See https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/install-catalina-old-mac-3654960/%3famp
>>
I can't move tabs on firefox. How can I fix it?
>>
>>76584393
Should the year of the Linux desktop come? Should X obscure app/platform/skill/knowledge ever become popular? Does the arrival of normies not poison everything? Given the previous statements, why do you continue to shill what you shill? After all, Linux becoming popular only brought SJWs then trannies into it. Same for programming. Why do you keep giving dogs what is holy?
>>
Given we're near a new generation of CPU and GPU, what exactly is worth buying right now?
>>
Is there any way to increase the max and min brightness of a laptop on Windows? I'm on an asus vivobook and I wish I could make it brighter, tried changing the contrast settings but it fucked up the colors.
>>
>>76587040
Everything ok at home?
>>
>>76587256
At home yes, the world no.
>>
>>76587040
no anon the trannies and sjws are just getting older and have varied interests
linux didnt get 'more popular' and thus received an influx of trannies and normies and complete niggers. the trannies, normies, niggers just grew up and entered the workforce and they're as fiery as ever on twitter every day.
>>
>>76586633
>>76586652
steam runs fine on my arch build (not manjaro but just upstream, shouldnt' be any different for day to day stuff) and steam runs fine on it once you get all the vulkan drivers up and running (you need them regardless of igpu, dgpu nvidia and amd)
>>
>>76587291
of course steam runs, it's just a platform. i have quite antiquated knowledge of linux gaming from about 10 years ago in my brain still, so what im about to say might be wrong but -
if i made the switch, i wouldnt be able to just simply boot up diablo II, homm3, etc. without jumping through a million fucking hurdles
+ i get office
+ visual studio shit
best of both worlds baby
>>
File: FilterSalesmanCantEven.jpg (237 KB, 800x450)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>76584393
How do IDE's organize whatever it is that they do? I just started learning Java using Notepad++ and thought I would try Eclipse which confused the fucking hell out of me.
>>
>>76587322
oh when i say that i mean the games i play dont ahve any performance difference from windows, they just work fine

i dont know about something like diablo II but maybe someone somewhere has pulled it off. if you're not ready to do a full jump, just dual boot. linux in 2020 is pretty comfy and surprisingly capable

>>76587428
they store their files in a project folder sometimes in my documents but also sometimes it will go in the Programs folder with the rest of the thing. It doesn't really matter as long as you can load it from inside the IDE, but I'm with you. I always write my code in just a normal text editor, and then run from some console when I need it to run.
>>
>>76587428
Think of the tree in a IDE as a regular File system when you open your explorer. Just a way of organizing resources for your project.
Coding out of notepad++, you aren't aware of many Object Oriented coding concepts right?
If you're a student, high recommend of JetBrains academy. Free while you're in university. The modules they have walk you through everything.
>>
>>76587447
ah mate im the one running manjaro-xfce on a separate machine right next to my windows system. use it for productivity. would dualboot on main but too much of a pain in the ass
>>
>>76587466
>Coding out of notepad++, you aren't aware of many Object Oriented coding concepts right?

I've gone as far as making guess the number game, so OOP is well beyond my skill right now. IntelliJ also seemed a bit daunting but I do have a .edu email.

>>76587447
>I always write my code in just a normal text editor, and then run from some console when I need it to run.

Would VSCode and their extensions be okay?
>>
can you change the download location of downthemall? if not, can you just temporarily change the download location on your browser and it'll use that?
>>
>>76587511
Use that .edu email as much as you possibly fucking can. You have no idea how many goddamn fucking doors that shit opens for you other than just cheap amazon prime and $5/mo spotify.
OOP is important. Learn classes and inheritance and work from there.
JetBrains, Github Labs has a whole suite of shit for you to use for free. Utilize that shit.
Also, fullstackopen.com is a really good course for fundamental understanding of how shit works, in the web dev world (not entirely related to Java but worth looking at as a complete newb)
>>
>>76587535
never mind it's the subfolder option
>>
>>76587535
i truly hope you don't have a fucking ton of unsorted files in your downloads anyway
>>
would programming the card game Go Fish be a good project for one's portfolio when applying for entry level positions? what did you have in your portfolio?
>>
good cbr viewer for windows?
>>
>>76587545
So basically IDE's are filesystems that organize all your classes? A file can have multiple classes which can have multiple methods...
>>
>>76587656
That's exactly right, albeit maybe a little oversimplified, IDEs do quite a bit of powerful work other than being a glorified FS. There's special instances of classes, but that's essentially the gist.
>>
>>76587739
Fuck me. More nomenclature to memorize. I think I'll visit IDE's in the near future after I can sort out their stuff from the language's actual concepts.
>>
VSCode always auto completes my brackets but does not move me a space forward say I want to write A[j]: is there anyway to advance a character and type the semicolon without pressing right arrow key? Its triggering my autism

>pic related
>>
How do I run a time server (actual time protocol running on port 37, and not NTP) serving a fake time and date in the past? Only needs to be accessible locally. For testing purposes
>>
>>76587760
Sooner better than later. Don't underestimate yourself, challenge yourself. When your brain feels like it's in a meat grinder, you're doing the right thing. If it's easy, you're not improving.
Of course, don't overwhelm yourself and take it at the pace you desire, but sometimes familiarizing yourself with the higher level shit right at the beginning can be beneficial. I went straight from fuck-all coding knowledge to C# OOP + database architecture.
>>
>>76587823
Thanks for your input, anon. I'm going to watch some tutorials on IntelliJ now.
>>
Is there a mouse general, or something like that? I'm not seeing one.

My Roccat Savu is getting harder and harder to middle click, so I need a new mouse. This mouse is comfy as fuck, though, so I'd like a mouse that's as similar as possible. What's the best way of achieving this?
>>
>>76587854
there is a mouse thread every few days
>>
I finished my build but I'm lost. How can I get windows 10 for free?
>>
File: 0ef.jpg (42 KB, 597x535)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9LLPp8

Why am I getting this compatibility mode? Does it matter?

>Note:The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.
>>
How do you get Windows 10 cheap? Is it safe to buy off ebay? How do you install on a totally fresh build? I'm stupid, sorry
>>
>>76587946
It absolutely does matter. Jesus christ, just read the fucking error message you copied and pasted.
>>
>>76587626
Yes, nothing.

>>76587946
Its saying you might want to upgrade the PSU you are intend on buying. The board supports two power inputs but the power supply only has one.
>>
>>76587969
Pretty sure you can download it from Microsoft for free. But... Why?

What's wrong with 7?
>>
>>76587969
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+10+iso+and+rufus
>>
>>76584514
yes
literally the only mainstream browser that ISN'T a chromium fork by now is firefox
>>
>>76587926
download the tool from microsoft, then patch it with KMS_VL_ALL or HWIDGEN. Check >>76585457
>>
>>76587993
I'm making a fresh build.

>>76587997
I'm afraid of viruses/getting my shit shut down. Also don't know what a rufus is. This IS the stupid questions thread, so I guess I'm fitting in right now.
>>
>>76588037
True, didn't remember if only use 7 for skylake anyway. My bad.
>>
Windows 7 vs 10 for a gaming PC and graphic design.
>>
>>76584393
is this the stupid questions thread?
>>
>>76587969
goodoffer24 has cheap keys that usually don't die
>>
>>76587784
You can use nodejs. From reading the wiki on the time protocol I think it just returns the time since unix epoch in seconds if you connect to it on port 37. Below is not tested but gives you the idea.

var net = require('net');

var server = net.createServer(function(socket){
socket.on('connect', function(data){
var datetime = Math.floor(new Date() / 1000)
socket.write(datetime);
}
);});

server.listen(37);
>>
what is best browser screen dimmer extention that doesnt need excess permissions?
>>
File: 1593580467594.jpg (738 KB, 2048x1198)
738 KB
738 KB JPG
I just want to beep but it makes no sound. --debug looks like its using the correct drivers
>>
>>76588088
Are you building a pc or already have one?
>>
>>76587969
You can install and activate Windows 10 using a Windows 7 key. If you have an old PC laying around you probably have a W7 key you can yank off it. Just use that.
>>
>>76587646
MComix is what I've used for years.
>>
>>76583666

no but more of the boards would be dead. we've had this problem alot before.
>>
>>76586136

VPN guy here, the phone is just a modem for the laptop, the server itself will be run off of a stable internet connection that is ethernet based.

it's not about simulating my condition at this point, it's about why the fuck the connection itself can't even show up

I literally can't even begin to host a VPN, my server machine won't let me. I haven't even gotten to the connection stage yet.
>>
Is tech consulting a meme career if I ever want to transition into actual software engineering? I come from a STEM background and it's my first job, I start in a month
>>
>>76588228
consulting is kinda a meme because you don't really do much of the work. it's a good job and will pay well but you won't necessarily be respected by other engineers just off the merit of previous consulting experience
>>
>>76588121
what is your scenario where you need just the browser dimmed and nothing else?
>>
>>76588210
Just use OpenVPN my dude.
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windows_Guide
>>
>>76587946
you can brown out your mobo if you try to sink more current than the psu can supply. i would really recommend getting a better psu, it's not even a difference of getting a good one or not, the one you picked is just not right for the job
>>
>>76588266
Any tips for how to gain that respect/find a job doing traditional software engineering from a consulting background? My degree and internship experience is in chemical engineering and manufacturing, and this job is doing ERP implementations/support for various clients in the retail/manufacturing/finance sectors. Who knows, I might love it, but it seems less technical than I'd like at first glance.

I've been told that doing projects in my spare time is a great way to show off skill and dedication on a resume but I'm at a loss on what to do and where to start.
>>
>>76588037
Yeah, everything you said in this post is fucking retarded. Download a windows 10 .iso from their official website, and burn it to a USB with Rufus, just fucking virustotal.com it if you think it's unsafe.
>>
What are the prerequisites to studying formal languages?
>>
>>76588114
thanks, will give it a try
>>
>>76588796
Formal languages? What do you mean? The major ones like C#, C++, Java?
The only prerequisite is a fucking brain.
Start off with w3schools.
>>
My computer turns on but nothing displays, I didn't change anything about it from last night when it was working fine but now I'm having these issues
>>
>>76588917
>formal languages
>C#, C++, Java
>The only prerequisite is a fucking brain
pottery
>>
>>76588318
nice, i studied cheme too (hated it and now do electronics hardware stuff)

yea i mean i dont think there is any way to wow technical people with limited experience in consulting, just the name of the game. just don't forget that you're still doing good work, and still setting a career path. if you dont want to be doing that anymore, or want to get into something more technical, just start applying to different jobs. ChE isn't something you can really do as a hobby, but you can at least join like AIChE etc to show you're still involved (on paper at least) so that you can get back into technical stuff. Constulting is also good for going back into industry to do project management stuff, which is what a lot of my ChE friends did after school.
>>
how are merge requests handled outside various hubs, ie github, gitlab etc?
>>
>>76589124
Oh nice man, that's awesome. I minored in computer science and loved it-- I struggled with cheme too. I think I want to stay the CS software route if I was going to go more technical, do you have any advice for how to build my resume a bit on that side? I'm wondering if I'd need a masters to get into a traditional SWE role.

Who knows though, I have a feeling at the end of the day I'll like the project management/business side of things more and get an MBA instead. Just trying to keep my options open. That's the beautiful part of cheme I guess, we suffered for 4 years to now be able to do almost anything career wise
>>
File: 1593590394989.jpg (391 KB, 755x1127)
391 KB
391 KB JPG
How do I disable google assistant completely in my phone and remap the physical assistant button to another function
>>
Is there any reason why my drives (3tb hitachi sata) wouldn't work in a Ultrastar Data102? It mentions some sata drives on the compatibility list
Found a great deal on one and if I had 102 drives bay I'd be sorted for life desu
https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/platforms/ultrastar-data102-hybrid-platform/compatability-matrix-ultrastar-data102-storage-platform.pdf
>>
File: 1568280598769.gif (631 KB, 500x493)
631 KB
631 KB GIF
>try nvidia freesync support
>kind of works but will cause my monitor to black screen every 10-40 minutes for several seconds making games barely playable
>blame nvidia for making it bad

>get x470 board to replace B350 board
>suddenly freesync works perfectly
can someone smart please explain this to me?
>>
>>76588929
Does it beep?
>>
Did VGA always look super blurry snd shitty? My main PC looks sharp when using DVI but my thinkpad looks horrible on the same monitor when using VGA.
>>
i use debian gnome.
Now i wanted to install cinnamon, so i did sudo apt install cinnamon, logged out, rebooted, logged with cinnamon DE and my credentails, it works, but content of my home dir is in trash.
why
>>
Is blue light from electric devices unhealthy or is "vaccines cause autism" and "5G causes Corona" nonsense?
>>
what's the best way to use my PC from my bed? wireless k+m or remote desktop?
>>
>>76590101
Unhealthy in the sense that blue led light is the strongest wavelength to send Infomation over. Read some cia docs. Very very intradasting.
>>
>>76590101
And yes vaccines cause injury, death, disability and the gay. The second wave of covid will be from 5g.
>>
>>76586196
afaik hex editors are mostly used for taking a peek inside a binary file to verify whatever or to reverse engineer
>>
>>76590101
It's unhealthy in that lots of blue light in the evening can make it harder to fall asleep. If you don't have problems sleeping, it's not something to worry about.
>>
>>76589586
You didn't install the proper drivers.
>>
>>76588929
There was a worldwide "reality quake" that affected your computer in some way. Mine lost the second ram stick, I had to reseat it before the of could detect it again.
>>
I will be gifting my gf a Mac mini, probably, so she can use to work. But I never used Mac, how easy is it to install pirate software? Thinking of adobe stuff like premiere, after effects, photoshop.

I mean when I look for pirated software in trackers it's almost exclusively windows so I'm wondering.
>>
>>76584393
My external hdd gets stuck on the last % of transferring files. For about a bit less than 5 minutes and then it finishes it off.. happened now 3x and never has before.
Should i be worried?
format is for now no option as i was already using it as backup for another broken hd i'm going to need to receive back first.
>>
>>76584393
I downloaded firefox beta and I can't type anything that is not a full address on the url bar. Even then I can't even open a 4chan link. what the fuck is this?
what do? is there an about:config pref I can switch to make it work like before?
>>
Lent my old gpu to a friend, when I got it back, I put it back into my old pc, gpu works for sure.

PC struggles to boot a few times, I removed one stick on ram and after that it turned on, but gave only a black screen.

Fucked motherboard? PSU?
>>
>>76587971
He doesn't need it if he doesn't overclock.
A colleague of mine was worried about the same issue but everything is fine w/o that extra 4-pin because he doensnt oc
>>
>>76590744
Fuck it's caused by one of my own about:config prefs
gonna troubleshoot it manually
>>
/g/ help
my ethernet port doesn't come up on 1st boot. literally
starter about 3 days ago. turn on computer, no network access at all, like it was unplugged. quick check on network adapters and my port is not even listed, device manager the same thing, not listed. when i restarted, back to normal. port listed, shit's working normal
and it's been like that now, i need to restart every time so the ethernet port comes back to life somehow. i never saw this happening, ever. obviously, windows 10, since every dumb shit ever seems to happen on this particular piece of shit, version 1909.
>>
>>76584393
Why is she touching the ad pannel?
>>
File: file.png (15 KB, 513x379)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>76587573
no of course not what do you take me for
>>
>start up pc and monitor
>get msi boot screen
>after the boot screen goes away monitor says “no signal” and goes into a stand by/sleep mode
>gpu fans start spinning while the screen is just black
Weird thing about this is hitting the reset button on the pc case my monitor goes from the boot screen to the windows 10 login and I’m able to use my pc normally(browse the web, and gayme) wtf wrong with my shit?
>>
>>76590957
I would install LTSC if I were you, anon.
>>
>>76590744
>>76590956
fixed
>>
>>76590656
pretty sure I did, both nvidia and the chipset ones.
also updates the bios on the old mobo multiple times.
Same CPU, same ram.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe my old mobo was just faulty, since I'd have questionable stability in games anyway.
>>
Anyone else working remotely due to covid? It started fine but it gets harder everyday desu.
>>
>>76584393
A question from /pcbg/: >>76591344
Thanks to anyone who can help in any way at all.
>>
File: 1493398598474.png (170 KB, 750x750)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
I'm trying to make a GIF collage. Do you know any programs with all features of Kapwing.com? I already have the animated GIF files, I only need to put them together and add some captions.
>>
File: file.png (69 KB, 593x311)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
Anyone know if this guy is decent? All his shit are bestsellers excluding the node.js course, but I guess that's to do with node rather than him.
>>
sometimes when i alt tab the task bar isnt there and sometimes it is, is there a way to make sure its always there
>>
I have a 1080p display. What would happen if I were to force it to 4k through nvidia control panel?
>>
When using youtube-dl on zsh, do you need to double or single quote the video link?
>>
>>76584393
Is there any mic arms that can connect to my monitor stand? Don't want another thing clamping onto my desk.
>>
>>76591036
i'm on ryzen, ltsc doesn't have the scheduler update
>>
>>76584393
Any alternatives to catbox.moe?
>>
>>76588917
Why are you talking about having a brain if you clearly don't havs one?
>>
how do o fix "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" on websites
>>
>>76590568
please respond
>>
>>76590568
>>76592296
How far from your bed are we talking about? Walls in between or same room and screen?
>>
Two unrelated questions:

If I'm upgrading my CPU, GPU & motherboard should I gut my case and start a fresh build? Or just replace the individual parts.

And is there any way to backup YouTube playlist data? I just want the name of the videos so I can know what songs were in there before they were taken down.
>>
>>76591744
Anyone?
>>
>>76591744
>I have a 1080p display. What would happen if I were to force it to 4k through nvidia control panel?
you die
>>
Does anybody even bother with malware for 98 or XP anymore and if so why even?
>>
>>76591744
Most likely you wouldn't get any picture at all because the display mode isn't supported. If it does work, it'll just be downscaled.
>>
>>76592600
Individual parts, that way if something breaks or arrives DOA you still have your old parts and you know it is the new one that is causing trouble.

You can also google a deleted youtube URL and it might get a result if it has ever been linked/scraped by another site.
>>
>>76592766
I did try it and I can see everything normally, just smaller though changing the WIndows scaling kinda does the trick. Does it cause any actual issue though?
>>
>>76592600
>>If I'm upgrading my CPU, GPU & motherboard should I gut my case and start a fresh build? Or just replace the individual parts
Fresh build. Chances are your new mobo won't be compatible with your old cput, or your new cpu won't be compatible with the old mobo. GPU is fine though
>>
>>76592792
Thanks. So first would be new mobo + CPU, then GPU if they work?

And yeah I know that trick, searching the URL with quotes but it rarely works.
So I'm looking for another way, even manually if I have to.
>>
I can't access Oracle VM VirtualBox, throwing out an error in Firefox
>Secure connection failed.
>PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

Same with Brave:
>This site can’t be reached
>ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

I've googled the error and it mostly pertains to various anti-viruses, so I can rule that out because I don't have any apart from Defender. What could be causing the issue?
>>
>>76592964
Nevermind, website says it's down for maintenance now. If anyone else can try if the website works and report back, that'd be great
>>
>>76592964
>VirtualBox
Stop using abandonware.
>>
Okay this is stupid but this is just a general 4chan question

I only ever use 4chan to follow like two certain sub boards or threads whatever you can call them

Mainly /csg/ to look for buying advice and what not
and also the gunpla thread in /toys/ etc

I basically don't care about anything else except the daily iteration of these threads.

Is their a way I can keep these two threads pinned always no matter how their name changes somehow so that I can follow them exclusively? I don't care about anything else on 4chan
>>
>>76586131
this, except forego the patience and go right now to buy used stuff from two or more years ago

>>76586104 >>76586286
christ, i could get 6 monitors off of craigslist for like 120 bucks total. with your 1500 dollars i could build a renderfarm supercomputer, set it up for VDI, run the games on that and remote desktop in from an eeepc netbook and get over 300+ FPS playing Crysis 9 or The Sims 7 or whatever the latest shit is
>>
>>76593189
Something like this?
>>>/g/csg
>>>/toy/gunpla
>>
>>76593360
Yeah - is their some extension that allows me to basically make an empty startpage board that only contains those two threads basically?

Like in leddit its called the multireddit. Is their a way to do that in 4chan? I only ever visit a few threads and I dont want the other garbage

Tl;DR: Can I make basically an empty custom board containing only the newest reiteration of these two threads

>>>/g/csg
>>>/toy/gunpla
>>
File: 1589214757962.jpg (79 KB, 500x567)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>76593083
>VirtualBox 6.1.10 (released June 05 2020)
>abandonware
>>
>>76593451
You could make an html homepage with basic functions that redirects to the links you need. I used to have one myself, I think I even found it here on /g/, but I can't seem to have it anymore
>>
>>76585879
mbp 16"
>>
what's a good extension to clear history on exit for chromium? recently switched to the ungoogled version from waterfox and literally every extension that does this looks like bloated malware to me.
>>
When I open cmd.exe it reads any file(s)?
>>
what kind of startup cost am i looking at to attach a few TB of redundant storage directly to my computer? is there a sweet-spot between cost and capacity where buying one of those USB 3.0-to-SATA III hotswap enclosures begins to make more sense than just getting several external bookshelf drives?
>>
>>76593534
But that would first redirect me to a search page because these threads don't have persistent names right?

>>>/g/csg
>>>/toy/gunpla

I just wish I had some empty board where I could place the boards from these two links that show up ONLY

Is something like that doable?
>>
I want to try a new wm but it when I run Xephyr it says
>Xephyr cannot open host display. Is DISPLAY set?
What do? It worked just a couple of minutes ago, no idea what I have done wrong
>>
can people see my google photos? and can they see pictures/vids i back up?
>>
>>76590713
run s.m.a.r.t. software
>>
>>76592547
a metre or two away
>>
File: 81TJowfhorL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (155 KB, 1500x1124)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Worth getting one of these for my 2012 MBP?
>>
>>76593706
Then it's probably impossible. I think something like that might be supported by 4chan's coding like when for April Fools /c/, /o/ and /ck/ were vere merged in a single boardbut I don't know if it's something that can be done by users
>>
learning about legacy boot process, i had a basic conceptual understanding of it for a long time but now i'm finally getting hands-on.
i tried writing a hello world program that reserves sector 1 for the partition table and boot signature, the boot sector does nothing but jump straight into sector 2 and that's where hello world is. it didn't work and i think i understand why. in fact i feel like a lot of things i didn't understand well slid into place.
i'd like to confirm my understanding with you all.
am i right in thinking about it like this?
>i couldn't jump ahead into sector 2 because sector 2 wasn't loaded, i was jumping into garbage data
>whichever disk is selected for boot, the bios only loads its boot sector
>this is why, in addition to the partition table, the boot sector must contain a tiny stage-1 bootloader, that does nothing but use bios routines to read its own disk, locate the stage-2 bootloader, and chainload it
>the stage-1 bootloader was restricted to 510 bytes of code with effectively unlimited scratch space, because the code had to fit into the boot sector, but the stage-2 bootloader can use an entire 1mib of combined code and scratch space, because its only restriction is that it's still in real mode
>since the stage-2 bootloader has a whole megabyte to work with, it can do slightly more complex things like provide a UI and recognize a partition scheme and filesystem; it must use filesystem recognition to locate one or more operating systems, and then use UI capability to allow the user to select an operating system to boot
>the operating system initializes cpu and stack to known states, overwrites the interrupt table to use its own syscalls instead of the bios routines, exits real mode to obtain full memory access, identifies memory capacity, loads the rest of itself into the newly accessible memory, sets up a more abstracted, more filesystem-aware subsystem for loading further disk sectors on demand, and starts using it to load processes
>>
>>76593083
what should i use anon? It's giving me nothing but headaches, would switch in a heartbeat
>>
>>76593790
what's the height of that thing?
>>
File: cpu gpuz compaq.png (470 KB, 1152x864)
470 KB
470 KB PNG
>>76584393
very nice
>>
>>76594123
idk should be 7mm, nearly all laptop drives are
>>
With a couple of hours of study/practise per day, how long would it take the average person to have sufficient programming knowledge to get an IT job?
Been thinking about moving careers from live events and my main goal is to get something that pays well.
I'm currently unemployed receiving coronabux so I have time.
>>
>>76594092
Not him but why are you trying to access your VM through a browser? Do you have the VM itself setup as an HTTP server, or do you have some work setup where your VM runs on a physical work-owned HTTP server that provides an in-browser viewport to it?
>>
>>76593778
Assuming it's just for media watching, why not just use something like pic related?
>>
File: controls.jpg (22 KB, 556x178)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
how to get rid of this media controls?
they appear every time I a have youtube video on background and change volume
>>
This is a stretch, but does anyone have any idea on how to enable light mode (i.e. the no-JS interface) for outlook web app? My uni uses outlook and gives out office365 for free, which therefore includes OWA, and I've been using light mode for years, happily using the no-JS, bloat-free interface. Today I disabled it because I wanted to fuck about with meetings or something and couldn't figure out how to do it using light mode, and now I cannot find the option to re-enable it anywhere, and everything is bloated and JS-driven and full of whitespace and delayed by animations and makes me want to die.

It's a stretch, but does anybody know whether light mode got dropped or something? Or otherwise, how to force it to enable or something?

>inb4 use an email client
I do for most stuff, but sometimes I do want to check email online for one reason or another, plus interaction with the outlook calendar is easier inside outlook proper.
>>
>>76593778
>>76594252
Or one of those logitech wireless keyboards+trackpads that don't look like a cross between an F1 wheel, a video game controller, and an ayylien control board
>>
>>76594235
Nah I tried to access their website to download a different version. Ever since I migrated to win10 it keeps giving me problems.
>>
What's the most lightweight editor/IDE with vim keybinds that has autocomplete and can show errors while editing?
>>
I'm trying to automate some boring customer support emails, but i cant automate the actual sending of the email (i would need to get permission from the big daddy corp that owns our tiny firm and thats a no go), so i can only use python to create the body of the email and identify the recipient based on exported excel data.
Could i use python to create a .msg file that i could drag and drop into outlook and it would send it?
>>
>>76594252
I have picrel, it's actually very usable. Minus from using AAA batteries but rechargable ones work fine with it.
>>
>>76594314
Oh.
Have you ever tried qemu? I just downloaded it from the website on windows successfully yesterday. It's pretty much as fast and full-featured as virtualbox despite branding itself as an emulator rather than a virtual machine platform. You do have to be comfortable with the command line to use it, though, as it doesn't come with a graphical launcher.
>>
File: tv31bexazu751.jpg (92 KB, 528x581)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>76584393
How do I build a computer that's on the same level or beyond the next gen consoles and do it under 1200 dollars? I don't know anything about current parts and I'm lost on that, I can do the building though.
>>
>>76592835
Bump
>>
>>76594454
It's nice quality. Poured beer on it while drunk, opened it later and washed the stickyness out of the keys.
>>
Okay I literally don't know where else to ask this stupid question.
I have a Toshiba USB 3 External Hdd formatted on NTFS that my linux laptop recognizes and mounts without any problems, but the Windows 7 laptop sees the partition as RAW and won't mount it. What the hell.
>>
truly time for a stupid question

my whole life i've been using the seagate dashboard to manually backup my entire computer every month or so. i'll delete the old backup then start a new process so it can all fit on one drive. i know for a fact there's gotta be a better alternative out there, whether it's a program that i can set for a monthly check to add/remove things from the current backup state based upon what's currently on my PC. what does /g/ use for backups? how can i not be a retard when it comes to this or is my only option to continue along the same path i'm on? would rather not have to shell out money for a product
>>
>>76586546
Syroh, apparently.
>>
File: dumb stuff .jpg (49 KB, 845x442)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Have a few questions about drives for a NAS/JBOD setup. Does anyone have any experience with JBOD setups using NAS drives. I essentially want to get a NAS enclosure that lets me throw in 5 drives while still allowing me to individually access each of those drives from the drive enclosure regardless of the OS.

Does anyone have any experience with similar setups, if so what was your average on drive life with only spinning up the drives for adding new or copying old data, and would you recommend NAS drives, shucked external hard drives, or standard desktop drives in high capacity?

-yes i know its dumb
-yes i know RAID would make more sense
-no i dont want it to be network attached and left running 24/7
-yes i know its dumb
>>
>>76584393
Make a new
>>>/g/pcbg
thanks retards!
>>
File: file.png (4 KB, 617x37)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
On windows server, the memory usage of Explorer keeps slowly rising up, a few hundred megabytes a day.
I rebooted the server when it hit 1000MB of memory usage and it went down to about 20MB, but it's still climbing and now it's at 300MB.
What's causing this?
>>
>>76594092
Proxmox, Xen, Kubernetes depending on what you want to do. Xen (proto-abondonware but awesome) if you just want to run a bunch of virtual machines on single hardware. Proxmox if you want VMs on multiple hardwares, Kubernetes if you're still afraid of containers and you're using VMs for services. Kubernetes made containers sane and usable, it's actually great software. or
>>76594457

>>76594599
rdiff-backup, but I'm in the process of moving to a different backup system.

>>76594636
Do you need hardware level access? If you're trying to do nearline storage you don't need disks that are designed to be on all the time. Get the absolute shittiest disks you can, assuming this data isn't going to be stored in one place.

sshfs could do this, 9P is actually great for stuff like this, there are a lot of options if you give more specifics.

Let's see if I can quote across boards
>>>/diy/1854598
>>
>>76594898
I have no idea how tracing works on windows, a quick google gives me
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/etw/event-tracing-portal

Good luck, don't use a shitware OS next time.
>>
>>76594903
While the thought of having it nearline is nice it will be primarily more inline with something like an offline archive. I could do it with a bunch of external hard drives but I want to be able to plug in just the one drive and have access to the data, while still having all that data split up onto individual drives instead of having it striped across multiple in a RAID. The prospect of having it nearline to stand up as online NAS for if i were to go out of town is tempting though.
>>
How do i get ffmpeg "speed" to be greater then 1x?
I have a new cpu but everything is encoding slowly
>>
What exactly am I supposed to know about database systems as someone who recently finished uni and is about to get a job? I had 2 classes where I learned the basics (SQL, normalization, relational theory, whatever), and another one for the internals(algorithms/data structures used), but I'm clueless about all those different systems. Like what would the typical related job would look like?
>>
>>76594903
>rdiff-backup
any alternatives that have an actual UI? I've got a pea-brain
>>
>>76595225
I guess it's unclear to me what you're trying to do. Afaik there's no "dumb" way to have a single connection be able to address multiple drives, five drives would require five connections. Something will have to be running to handle that mapping. It's completely possible to just have five separate single drive "arrays" and just address each device separately, but I don't understand how you would do this without it being attached to the network, or with some SAS/SATA cable abortion.
>>
>>76595305
bios/uefi and os chipset driver properly configured and/or installed? cpu & vrm temps below thermal throttling threshold? latest ffmpeg version? "-threads #" argument?
>>
>>76595461
https://pypi.org/project/rdiffweb/
this seems close to what you want, I haven't used a gui for anything in years. using rdiff backup is as simple as typing in
rdiff-backup "directory you want backed up" "directory being backed up to"

Learn to like the command line anon. If you're actually retarded buy a single disk synology NAS, it was built for retards.
>>
>>76595566
Latest uefi
Latest kernel
ffmpeg 4.2.3
temps are in acceptable range
-threads(x264)/-cpu-used(x265) are set to 12
12 phys 24 logical
ffmpeg bitches above 16 and i've read you actually get lesser quality having so many threads since you'r breaking apart the streams so much and putting them together again
>>
>>76595456
install and configure a lamp stack on a linux vm and create a mysql/mariadb database and connect to it using php (pdo) and java (openjdk + jdbc) and make CRUD systems with both those languages using your mysql db. then you can claim some db experience in your interviews
>>
>>76595472
What you described is more less what im after and why i cant find a plug and play solution. I essentially want one "box" filled with hard drives, I want to be able to plug that one box into any computer and be able to access each of the drives in said box individually. Then when done unplug the box and set it in a corner somewhere until i need it again. (I want a external hard drive with more steps) As a bonus if i could somehow get this box to work as network attached storage only when going out of town that would be a plus but the primary goal is cold storage without having a bunch of individual external hard drives.
>>
>>76595621
is it any faster with other codecs like libvpx?
>>
Anyone know if theres an linux program to automatically configure my proxy to tor?

Orbot for android lets you easily switch between no proxy and tor for all internet traffic, and I'd like the same on my PC, without having to manually configure it every time
>>
>>76595781
I've tried x264 x265 vpx8 vpx9 even nvenc
Everything just sits below 1x no matter what source content i give it
>>
Is it safe to do unironic fedposting from McDonald's wifi?
>>
>>76595718
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-5-Bay-M35TQ-3-5-Hot-Swap-SAS-SATA-Drive-Tray-with-2x-250GB-HDD/184306805385?hash=item2ae98aaa89:g:VJcAAOSwU0dezZoh

Something like this and then connecting it with a sata cable is to a point what you're describing. I would strongly consider something like
https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/quad-sata-hat-case-for-raspberry-pi-4
and just setting it up as a NAS. Low power, shit bandwidth, ideal for cold storage. You can use it as a NAS when you're out of town as long as you don't care how long it takes to access your files. You could even just throw it in a backpack and take it with you.
>>
>>76587761
bump
>>
I been going through the learnopengl tutorials and got to the transformations section. After finishing the section I went to the comments and saw someone do a sierpinski triangle through recursion.
I've tried doing this myself for quite awhile now but I can't figure out how to map a texture to a triangle defined by three vertexes not defined in a VBO (I read about glVertexAttrib* but I couldn't get any of it to work in displaying a triangle without using a vertex array).
I've also tried just doing it through transformations alone but that fails as well where I have either the bottom triangles working and the top pattern wrong or vice versa.

Anyone with any knowledge on opengl with GLAD how the fuck I am supposed to do this?
>>
>>76594457
>>76594903
No, I haven't. Thanks for the suggestions, will give it a try lads. Still learning the ropes as it is
>>
>>76594586
Bump
>>
i am using manjaro (arch) linux. i have a USB audio interface (MOTU M2) with an XLR microphone connected to it with 48V phantom power enabled. i can hear the microphone through the interface's 'Monitor' button/control, but my mic is not being detected/picked up in Audacity, Discord, or other voice chat.

u name -r
5.6.16-1-MANJARO
>>
File: macbeardvsthinkchad.png (1.27 MB, 1276x715)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
anyone has experience with Clevo laptops?

looking for a laptop i can code and run some 3d simulations with and its rugged enough to carry while daily public transport where i have to keep my bag on the floor, previously had a msi gs63vr but the fans and battery life are dead.
>>
Using PrtSc to capture images in fullscreen games is fucky. Instead of taking a capture as I press PrtSc, it takes a capture from about 10-15 seconds before.
None of my google search terms are bringing up anything relevant, can anyone help me figure out whats going on?
>>
>>76596825
oh uhhh I'm on Windows 10 and I only recently noticed but I'm sure it's been happening for awhile. I know using Steam to capture screenshots will work just fine but I don't like saving every single capture.
>>
>>76596772
> anyone has experience with Clevo laptops?
Yes. Mine was refurbished ODM which broke after several months, I don't remember why was I disassembling it, but the ribbon cable clamp for a power button cracked and so it was impossible to turn it on anymore. Keyboard ribbon placement was horrible, just underneath it and about 10cm long.
Otherwise it's just your average laptop, BIOS without any blacklists, MXM on select models and other features for customization are a plus, I believe.
>>
Which android browser has the best battery life? And can I optimize or increase battery life on my phone in general?
>>
I want to chat with friends and be able to upload images without having to use a third party image host. Are there any irc servers and clients that will work for this? I tried googling real quick but results were not at all promising.
>>
>>76596249
Will check out the shop for the second link and see if they make anything similar for 3.5" HDDs. Any recommendations for actual drives, Ive heard WD reds are the go to standard but ive also heard that the seagate ironwolf stuff is "better" despite being seagate.
>>
File: jami-830x492.jpg (88 KB, 830x492)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>76596955
>>
>>76584797
An account is required for integration with other products. If you do standalone it's all self contained on the same subnet though. Pretty sweet.
>>
Can i install m.2 slot adapter if motherboard dont have one?
>>
>>76594367
Can't automate the sending because they told you so, or because of some configuration bullshittery fucking up the APIs or something?
>>
>>76584393
She looks cute from behind
>>
>>76596003
What do you mean by fedposting, as in fed-attracting posting? Not without other precautions. Especially not if it's your local mcd's, they'll narrow down the place you live and just check surveillance footage or even just put a van in front of it and literally v& you next time you come in.
>>
>>76596825
No idea but try using ShareX and see if it solves the problem and if you like it, in my opinion it's lightyears ahead of any other screenshotting tool
>>
My sata ssd isn't showing up. What's the likely problem
>>
>>76597076
fedposting = hey guys anyone wanna go shoot up a synagogue? in minecraft of course lololol
>>
>>76596955
The other anon posted a barely comprehensible picture, which refers to Jami (formerly "GNU Ring", renamed to be less confusing or something due to other software called Ring or something). Can vouch for it, after going through a bunch of alternatives with my friend, Jami works really great (with some occasional autism that's easy to forgive), great voice quality, while being p2p. Every other p2p alternative we tried was pretty dogshit (tox lmao) and most other stuff is either federated (i.e. Matrix, which even then is gay, plus Riot is the only featureful client and it's electron garbage) or downright centralised (Wire, normie shit like Signal or Telegram). So we've been sticking with Jami.

HOWEVER I don't know if it has p2p file sharing, we never tried it. I often use catbox.moe, if you're willing to trust that a neet weeb isn't gonna bother snooping through your ebic screenshots. If Jami doesn't support p2p transfer out of the box, not sure what you'd use for this.
>>
>>76588012
And damn does it feel good to be free of the chromium botnet.
>>
>>76588037
Rufus makes it so the goody-woody swoftware can bwe woaded intwo ywour compwuter. No, but seriously, Rufus just allows you to "use" .ISOs. Just download it and run it. Rest a literal fucking retard could do as it is super self explanatory after it launches.
>>
>>76597119
Technically it's safe to do anywhere that's not explicitly illegal, you'll get put on a watch list and if you actually go shoot it up your posting history will be on the news but it's not like they arrest people who post inflammatory shit. Goodness knows hundreds of thousands of people must have posted about how they want to gas jews right here on this very website.

Anyway if you wanna larp as a dark web haxor then drive out to a mcd that's reasonably outside your normal travel areas (i.e. away from your home, job, or commute, or other places you visit like I dunno family or gym etc.), use tails or at least tor, make sure you don't have a phone with a battery on your, idfk garbage like that.
>>
>>76594367
Some configuration bullshitery, cant even pip install packages or do webscraping.
I made quite a bit of progress. I used independentsoft.msg to create .msg files that i can them drag and drop into my drafts and then just send them.
However since I'm a slav, and out alphabet is a rainbow of assorted bullshit so the subject and body of my email are a garbled mess. I know it's because of the encoding, but i dont know how to switch it. i know about .decode(), but it doesnt work on strings, just when reading lines of the input file.
Here's an example from the library i'm using. I need to change the encoding on lines 28&29. Wat do?
>>
>>76597085
Looks nice, thank you for the recommendation. I was hoping to find a solution for the basic PrtSc functionality when playing in fullscreen, but I guess Windows just sucks like that.
>>76597137
Not that anon but I'm also very interested. I checked out the Jami website and it seems to support p2p transfer out of the box, am I missing something?
>>
File: gpu fan.jpg (966 KB, 1836x3264)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
does anyone know if the circuit can be removed from the fan, it's a gigabyte gpu fan
>>
>>76597337
Like I said I never tried file transfer, if it has that then fantastic.
>>
How do I into IRC? I guess I missed the boat and it seems like the place all the cool kids hang out. Also apparently a good way to get pirated books.
>>
>>76597360
What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this? It's the circuitry that drives the electric motor running the fan. Do you want to have a working fan? Leave it in. Do you want put it in another fan? It's probably possible, but if you have to ask this question you probably don't have the knowledge or skills to do so. Do you have your own motor you want to stick in? You can probably remove it and replace it with yours, but unless you know what you're doing that sounds like an extremely stupid endeavour.
>>
>>76597380
Download any client, read the manual, connect to a server and join a room
Or even use a web client, the major server like freenode have one on their website for example

Then just look up a guide to useful commands like how to /nick, or basically lurk moar
>>
>>76597407
Thanks famalam, I like this thread. Are there popular channels someone who's be on 4chins for over a decade would be interested in?
>>
So I using Super Virtual Resolution to upscale my monitor from 2560 x 1080p to 5120 x 2160. Most for the browsing and screen real estate, since my monitor is 30 inches. I'm wondering does this lower performance in gayming, even if I am running the same at native res (instead of the super virtual res) with the desktop running at such a high res?
>>
File: 1567928931628.png (239 KB, 1186x674)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>76588037
>>
>>76597143
>xe doesn't know
>>
>>76597906
I will take the homozilla botnet over jewgle one.
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 225x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>76597906
>xe
>>>/tumblr/ get out
>>
>>76596894
I remembered.
It cracked by itself during winter, so I guess temperature hikes explain it, that's why the disassembly happened.
>>
>>76598003
welp xe's a firefox user so I took a safe bet
>>
>>76597982
jewgle funds mozilla you idiot
>>
I recovered a bunch of files with recuva and when i try to open them it says we dont support this format even though theyre jpg's, are they corrupt? i really hope not
>>
>>76586601
plz
>>
Is more RAM always better. Currently I have 2 same sticks of 4 gigs, I have one spare one that's 8 gigs, but made by different company(same freq, voltage...). Is it better to put that 8 gigs instead of 1 stick so I have 12 gigs, but not matching?
>>
>>76586601
honestly not sure. i would buy a couple different brands and see which ones conduct electricity and which ones dont.
>>
I have a Gigabyte z77x-ud5h mobo, found a deal for an nvme ssd and want to use it with a pcie adapter, worth? Any recommended adapters, or things to watch out for?

The deal: Western Digital AU 1TB WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD, https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07M64QXMN
>>
>>76598126
>funds vs operates
Wew we have a summerfag
>>
What PDF and epub reader do you guys use on Android? I've tried Book Reader but the settings are limited.
>>
>>76598638
Just open in your browser. Who the fuck needs a dedicated reader app in 2020 unless you are editing.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.