[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • You may highlight syntax and preserve whitespace by using [code] tags.
  • There are 170 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: dwm.png (109 KB, 816x345)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>2020
>not using dwm
Explain yourself, /g/?
>>
get outta here luke
>>
>>75197680
I am though
>>
>>75197680
I am
>>
Because AwesomeWM is better
>>
>>75197750
No, it is not.
>>
Why not i3?
>>
I used this a couple of years ago, it was pretty fun, but iirc it didn't work too well with fullscreen shit
>>
>>75197680
Because I embraced bloat in its full glory.
>>
I'm using dwm, I kinda wish I didn't, because it gave me the suckless minimalism brand of autism where now I don't want to customize my computer if it adds dozens of megabytes of dependencies when I install a new program.
>>
Because suckless "minimalism" doesn't make software better, it just replaces monolithic blobs of shit with a mountain of little pieces of trash.
>>
>>75197765
>it's not
It started as a dwm fork which got insanely good, and development is still very much alive, as in fixes and enhancements are added daily to the github repo. The lua support means you can program any aspect of the wm and make it work the way you want. It's really good and deserves more attention in current year.
>>
>>75197985
Not to mention the great API documentation https://awesomewm.org/doc/api/classes/client.html
>>
>>75197680
Because I don't like patching just to get different window layouts and additional functionality. It's a little too de-bloated.
>>
>suckmore
i have embraced minmaximalism and use exwm
>>
Because it looked bad and I didn't want to change the source code and manage patches when changing things. I moved on to bspwm, only thing I'm missing is that you could have the same window on multiple desktops.
>>
>>75197766
Source code is too verbose
>>
>dim
>>
>>75197985
>dwm form
>lua support
Looks like they completely missed the point.

>you can program any aspect of the wm and make it work the way you want
Yes, I can already do that with C, thanks.
>>
>>75198182
fork* fuck
>>
>2020
>not using 2wm
Explain yourself, /tiki/?
>>
>>75198126
>only thing I'm missing is that you could have the same window on multiple desktops.
do you really miss that as a feature? for what would you use it?
>>
>>75197680
>he fell for the minimalism meme
all those riced desktops that you see on the desktop thread have a < 20 min uptime. i guess you never wondered why
>>
>>75197680
I used to use dwm.
Then I switched to spectrwm because it was strictly superior, doing all the same things better and then some more.
Then I gradually realized the suckless mindset is a timesink with no payoff. I now use GNOME with very little customization.
>>
>>75197680
I've been using i3 for years now, is dwm really worth it? I used ratpoison for a long time, and then tried it briefly, and I remember liking it a lot. Unfortunately, I couldn't install it on openbsd at the time since the default partition that holds the ports was too small, so I went with i3 instead.
>>
>>75197680
How do I fix the alt+p thingie? The field just disappears when I start typing. It used to be fine. I don't know what happened.
>>
>>75197680
I value my time.
20 years ago you would use Windows for proper working station
Now you install Manjaro and keep on developing knowing that all you need is in the range of one single command.
>>
>>75197956
this is an odyssey to all software, eternal dissatisfaction
>>
>>75197680
>using suckless
i know you are a neet, but even then ┬┐is your time that worthless? and i'm not talking about the reduced functionality, the anti-user design, or the fact that every new version will break all your patches.
the "simple" code are 2000 lines of ugly spaghetti. have you ever read it? it's fucking trash. your normal library codebase with 50k LOC and minimal documentation is unironically easier to understand than any software "suckless" has ever produced.
why a sane person would spend his free time deciphering the c-encoded tantrum of a 30yo "suckless" neet autist?
>>
Openbox is better and I have all my shortcuts in it already
>>
>>75198418
But it only uses 8KB of ram so it's ok.
>>
>>75197680
not worth it.
default gnome has indexing which saves me the time of looking through folder trees.
vanilla dwm krashed with firefox if the titlebar had emojis, the absolute state, couldn't even install an extension.
even if that is fixed, going to dmenu and figuring out the name of shit is retarded in 2020.
JUST
USE
GNOME
it works
>>
>>75197680
i3 is better
>>
>Explain yourself, /g/?
Yes.
>>
File: trash.png (48 KB, 455x455)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
>>75198182
>he has to recompile his window manager to change the font
>>
>>75197680
sell me on dwm
>>
>>75197766
Because it doesn't support wayland
>>
>>75199289
Couldn't you just change the font name?
>>
Every time you recompile and reload it fucks up your tabs.
>>
File: 1584269802805.jpg (232 KB, 656x674)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>75197680
standalone window managers are hipster cringe
either use a terminal multiplexer in the console for true minimalism or just use a DE
>>
>>75200337
>just use a DE
They still do, just the one they made instead of a preconfigured package.
>>
>>75197680
how many more tiling wm do we need
jesus I hate linux so god damn much
>>
>>75200351
What? DWM's been around for years, as has everything else mentioned itt
>>
>>75197680
because I use bspwm
>>
>>75197680
Because I am not done with my journey with i3 and urxvt. After that I want to test suckless terminal and then experiment with dwm.
>>
I use xmonad. Why switch?
Suckless is based though. I use st and dmenu
>>
>>75197680
For me, it's i3wm.
>>
>>75197680
Because config files are not bloat.
>>
>>75200531
>>75200532
you spend too much time ricing neets
>>
Guys, is there anyway to change stuff like fonts, colors or whatever with suckless programs? Not using dwm, but would consider switching over. But I use st, still new to ricing but is there anyway to change the rice without having to recompile on every fuckin edit? Like if I want to change a font in 3, I open the config, change, and ctrl shft r and it's applied
>>
>>75200538
Jokes on (You), the only customizations I make to the config file are keybinds. My i3 is about as stock as they come.
>>
File: 1583049948856.gif (930 KB, 270x270)
930 KB
930 KB GIF
KDE just werks m9
>>
>>75200539
Yeah, make a script to change a setting and recompile automatically
>>
i3 is probably all anyone needs. I get DWM is lighter than i3, but i3 is already miles ahead of Xfce not to mention GNOME. IMO unless you're on a Pentium III and 128MB of RAM, i3 is more than enough and lightweight enough.
>>
>>75197680
xmonad is where its at, easy to configure and doesn't get in my way.
>>
>>75197680
I did for a couple of years then I realized that my time is too valuable.

Maintaining separate branches for each patch to make sure they play nice when combined or going through the command line to connect to a wireless network or writing bash scripts and listening to udev events to do something as simple as dim the display when on battery power wasn't productive.

After a while, it all seemed pointless. I just rock GNOME now with minimal tweaks and use keyboard shortcuts to move windows around to fit my workflow. I sometimes wish GNOME/mutter had some better tiling features, though.
>>
People actually get paid to shill GNOME
>>
>>75197680
>2020
>using xlib
>>
>>75200233
dwm does not support wayland
>>
>configuring through source
cringe
>>
But I am.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager
>>
suckless sucks more
>>
File: lain.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>75198247
You liked using ratpoison? Intriguing. From my observations over the past decade, I have not found a ratpoision user who was happy with their choice. Could you elaborate on what you found favourable about ratpoison?
>>
>>75198269
What does alt p do in your case? Dmenu? Did you change your config or anything?
>>
>>75197680
because xmonad is more hardcore
>>
2 questions:
is there any option in dwm to turn off borders per program-base?
How to adjust root window title bar so that systray doesnt go to the right
>>
>>75197680
I prefer bspwm
>>
Redpill me about Dwm and suckless.
>>
>>75202126
Hobby shit that lulls you into a sense of competence and technical superiority while nuking your productivity.
>>
File: 1200px-Xmonad-logo.svg.png (75 KB, 1200x1864)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>75197680
step outta the way, losers
>>
>>75199211
You say that. Yet here I am with GNOME 3.36 and none of my tracker-based search providers work.
>>
>>75200848
Where can I apply?
>>
File: 1583017701909.gif (350 KB, 800x520)
350 KB
350 KB GIF
>not bspwm
HAHAHAHA
>>
>>75199289
its one command and it takes less than a second.
>>
>>75197680
I used to fall for the minimalism meme, used a minimal source based distro with dwm, st the whole thing.
Nowadays I just use Arch w/ Default KDE
>>
>>75197680
>lincucks fags arguing over something Windows has done for 30 years
>>
>>75197680
I'm not into coding in C
>>
>>75197680
useless minimalism = latent depression
also why the fuck do you care about bloat?
1) you are not maintaining the library
2) plasma uses 400mb at most at startup, i could understand you saying windows is bloat since it uses ten times as much
3) think about debloating yourself first, the head should be priority
>>
Skipped it and went straight to bspwm + sxhkd a week after baskerville started releasing it.
>>
>>75202780
>also why the fuck do you care about bloat?
The problem lies with the lack of a clear definition of bloat. Depending on who you ask, bloat is about idle/max/avg RAM usage, idle/max/avg CPU usage, LoC, binary size, package count, offered functionality you don't use, offered functionality that goes beyond the original project scope, start up time and so on. Some of these points can be used as a basis for valid criticism others are mostly about software ideology.
>>
>>75197680
I have a working i3 setup. I'll try dwm next time I set up a new system.
>>
I recently got into wms and picked dwm. Im really happy with it except a few things.
How to make a notification app and other clickable things like nm-applet in slstatus?
How to make the sudo askpass popup work for all programs?
How to make dmenu a global indexer like gnome(very convenient and efficient)?
How to make somw programs open floating. I copied the gimp line for my galculatoe but i doesnt work.
>>
>>75203079
>How to make a notification app and other clickable things like nm-applet in slstatus?
https://dwm.suckless.org/patches/systray/
>>
>>75197680
because i3's workflow is more productive-oriented.
>>
the virgin dwm vs the Chad cwm
>>
>>75197680

>2020
>g-autists still sperging out over window managers
>none of them actually create or do anything productive

classic
>>
>>75197680
I used to use it around three years ago.
Months later, I realized tiling window managers are a massively overrated meme and a waste of time. I have also used i3, xmonad, awesome, bspwm and stumpwm. The same criticism applies to all of them, but dwm gets special garbage points for having to rely on patches instead of having a proper module system like xmonad.

Not surprisingly, I started moving away from tiling wms after trying out GNU Emacs. In fact, almost every tiling wm setup I've seen ends up being just a shittier Emacs, except with a lot more headache and a lot less integration.
Now I use Plasma on all my "modern" machines. A lot less headache and shit just works, and when I need that "tiling" workflow, Emacs has got me covered.
On an old T43p, I use Window Maker.
In fact, people on this board often mistakenly believe that tiling wms are the only alternative to DEs, ignoring the many excellent stacking wms. Even if you want "minimalism", they are the better option.

In retrospective, tiling wms specifically were a huge waste of time and provided no advantage. They simply don't work for purely graphical applications, and for text-based work, you're better off using a dedicated application which natively supports tiling, such as Emacs, screen/tmux, a terminal emulator with built-in splits, and so on.
>>
>>75200346
lol
>>
>>75203079
>gnome network manager
yikes
>>
>>75197680
Because I have a job and use GNOME.
>>
>>75203315
For me its the easiest. What do you recommend?
>>
>>75203481
I use wifi-menu with netctl-auto, wifi-menu generates netctl config files and netctl-auto automatically switches to known SSIDs, I basically never have to mess with it anymore
>>
>>75203524
Ill give it a go. Is connecting to eduroam easy?
>>
>dwm
Not using 9wm
wtf onii-chan~
>>
>>75203524
>arch shit
Look, all smartphones, game consoles, smart fridges and light bulbs connect to wireless access ponts painlessly and without you having to mess with things.
You've gained nothing by using these "tools". Connecting to Wi-Fi is supposed to be exactly as easy as GUIs make it be.
>>
>>75203559
Im basically the only person that never had an issue with eduroam at my university, you need to add the WPAConfigSection manually though
Description='Automatically generated profile by wifi-menu'
Interface=wlan0
Connection=wireless
ESSID=eduroam
IP=dhcp
Security='wpa-configsection'
Priority=1
WPAConfigSection=(
'ssid="eduroam"'
'key_mgmt=WPA-EAP IEEE8021X'
'eap=PEAP'
'identity="<YOUR_EMAIL>"'
'password="<YOUR_PASSWORD>"'
'phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"'
)

>>75203580
dont come crying to me next time your eduroam broke
>>
>>75203481
Not him, but I personally use wpa_supplicant (with GUI).
It's just as easy to use as other solutions, but much lighter and more straightforward.
Ironically enough, the more "bloated" solution, NetworkManager, never quite handled WPA2/Enterprise networks right, while wpa_supplicant never jad a problem.
And no, while you can, you don't have to edit a single config file if you use the GUI. It's a criminally overlooked solution, I don't see why it isn't more popular.
>>
>>75203604
Tyvm
>>
>>75203315
bloat
>>
>>75201394
Sure, ratposion was the very first tiling wm I ever used. I was on XFCE or openbox before, and I wanted to go full minimal. I actually tried living in TTY1 for a while, no joke, I set up tmux and had a clock, script for various statuses, etc. Since I got used to tmux and its keybindings of ctrl+b as a modifier, and then ctrl+<key> to split, ratpoison was the X equivalent of using tmux. I would remove all existing keybindings from ratpoison and then put in my own (eg. ctrl+z as a modifier). Obviously, you have to manually tile things which isn't ideal, but when its all you know you make do. Once I tried out dwm I fell in love with dynamic tiling in general and never went back to manually tiling.
>>
>>75197680
i3wm have the best defaults, it's practically tiling WM for dummies.
>>
Because I forgot to save my configuration before my OS shit the bed and I really don't feel like doing it again
>>
>>75204463
>forgot to save config
thats not something you just "forget", just admit youre a lazy POS
>>
why do ppl prefer suckless st when you can run urxvtd with unlimited clients using minimal resources?
>>
>suckless
miss me with that gay shit.
>>
>>75197680
I use windows 10
>>
>>75204669
why would you need a daemon for urxvt? is it just to save 10mb ram
>>
>>75204938
I was under the impression that that's why people use st.
>>
File: nicebloatass.jpg (1016 KB, 2773x3605)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
>>75204679
suckless isn't gay anonymous
>>
>>75205206
>no thigh gap
3/10
>>
>>75197680
I am though
>>
>>75198292
"I vAluE mY tImE"
>Shitposts on 4chan
>>
File: r3PcDOA.jpg (3.01 MB, 4000x6000)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>75205213
install dwm anon
>>
>>75197766
Because Luke switched from i3 to dwm long ago already.
>>
>>75203157
how do I stop systray from being flushed right so that any other status bar informations wont get pushed left when new icons appear in systray
>>
>>75205852
patches are bloat
>>
>>75205852
Actually understand what the patch does and rewrite it yourself retard
>>
>>75197680
How do I install it on Windows?
>>
>>75197680
mainly because dwm users act like the customizability of dwm renders all other WMs obsolete, but I've never seen a config more riced than what you'd get from i3 or awesome.

I'm sure there are are users who don't act all high and mighty, but the most vocal dwm users are tryhards.
>>
>>75197680
Because I don't know shell scripting. Can't even put time on the bar.
>>
>>75205898
Or, you could just use software that works OOTB.
>>
>>75200531
based
>>
>>75205904
windows already uses dwm.exe
>>
cwm
>>
>>75197680
Because I don't know shell scripting. Can't even put time in the status bar.
>>
>>75205898
how the fuck am I supposed to do that when there are no comments about what changes what
>>
>>75206829
coomer wm
>>
File: 1515261141163.png (87 KB, 853x621)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>75203079
>clickable things like nm-applet
you don't need that
>sudo askpass popup
you don't need that
>global indexer
you don't need that. organize your filesystem instead.
> gcalculator
bloat. use less harmful options like bc(1).
>>
>>75198212
Not him bc im a gnome tard but having my notepad sticking around would be extra nice for things like taking notes from various sources

>>75198126
You can probably do that with
bspc window -g sticky
, this command would toggle stickiness on your focused window -you might want to bind that in your sxhkdrc.
You can probably use something
bspc rule xterm -a sticky=on
in your .bspwmrc if you want to have a rule for all windows that meet x criteria for example all windows of your terminal.
I'm a sleepy gnometard so i can't try for myself right now but I hope it works.
>>
>>75205898
 void
drawbar(Monitor *m)
{
- int x, w, sw = 0;
+ int x, w, sw = 0, stw = 0;
int boxs = drw->fonts->h / 9;
int boxw = drw->fonts->h / 6 + 2;
unsigned int i, occ = 0, urg = 0;
Client *c;

okay now what to change here
>>
>>75197680
It was fun using it while i was at college. Now that I am working full time job Xfce suites me better.
>>
>>75197680
I am, fuck off
>>
Is there even any point to tiling window memes when both GNOME and KDE have tiling scripts?
>>
>>75207328
You dont want to change anything in the patch file. They are auto generated with
diff -u original_version.c new_version.c > changes.patch

probably automatically apply them by using the patch command
patch < changes_2.patch

but they sometimes may fail if your version of the code doesn't look like theirs. In that case, you manually look at the patch file, but you don't change anything there. You change it in your source files (those that are part of dwm). As you can see some lines in the patch have numbers that indicate roughly what lines are supposed to get changed, the more you mess with the source code the less exact those numbers might be but you can probably search for these sections of code by finding the exact name matches with Ctrl+f (or / in vim). Look again at the patch file, some lines start with -, those are the ones that get deleted, those that start with + are those that get added, the rest is probably supposed to be there just for context. Happy patching!
>>
>>75207453
There's any points to tiling when you can have two 5:4 monitors and maximize a window in each. alt tab to switch between them and last hidden window, hot corner for the rest. Peak workflow.
>>
>>75207500
There isn't** also check em
>>
>>75207473
obvious as it gets but let me reply nonetheless
I am not that retarded not to understand how patches work. The website mentions drawbar function and nothing more, what now?
>>
>>75200233
>Because it doesn't support wayland
https://swaywm.org/
>>
>>75207517
install gentoo
>>
>>75203270
Incredibly based.
>>
>>75207244
>bc
Fugg youre right. Im so used to installing "apps" for everything
>>
>>75201408
Yeah. I haven't done anything. I'm just using whatever is in the Debian repo.
>>
>>75197680
I use bspwm with polybar and really like it. No reason to switch.
>>
>>75203270
Pure tiling wms are a meme yes, but wms with good tiling features are not. For instance I use most things maximized or floating, but on a certain desktop on a certain monitor I like to have a fixed always-visible tile layout, and Awesome allows me to convert it into a layout and resize it automatically with a single click (because I programmed it). Also quick tiling options like snap to edges and corners are a must-have (Gnome can't into corner snaps).
>>
I'm using dwm.
The superior dwm.exe version from Microsoft.
>>
>>75207868
based
>>
>>75197680
bloat
>>
>>75200554
It really doesn't. Neither does Gnome. The only DE that ever just werked was Unity so of course they killed it.
>>
>>75197766
literally because pleddit
>>
File: 1584702954409.png (16 KB, 695x94)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
heh ok nice try, kid
>>
>>75200538
I just use stock i3 with only keybinds for audio and media.

It's easier than doing it in Xfce. I don't know about LXQT (formerly LXDE).
>>
File: 1ee.jpg (77 KB, 680x907)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Switched to dwm/st instead of bspwm/urxvt today and there is a noticeable decrease in input lag. Maybe it has to do with my hardware but I can't go back now, everything is so instantaneous. But the elitist "hurr durr edit the source code" stuff is autistic.
>>
>>75200590
You're generic
>>
>>75210493
you'll be back to bspwm in about a month when you realize how fucking annoying it is to recompile and reinstall your DE (and maybe even fork it if you want the same setup easily across installs) when you want to change a shortcut key
>>
suckless stuff would be fine if you only used the one machine and you never changed anything because you had it set up perfectly the way you wanted it, but there are more modular and sane options that are similarly lightweight so why even bother?

i still do use dmenu though i've been thinking about giving rofi a shot
>>
>>75210730
I'm able to handle most of my keybinds with sxhkd that I just carried over from bspwm. Just applied a few patches to dwm and changed the font sizes and it's good to go for now. So far I'd say it's worth the inconvenience for the speed. If only they weren't autistic about the configuration this would be hands down the best.
>>
>>75197680
>not using emacs as your window manager
Heh nothing personnel, kid
>>
>>75211172
why the fuck would you use a text editor as a window manager?
>>
>>75211967
because its not a text editor but an interpreter. I wouldnt use non-native code for my wm though, to slow
>>
>>75210744
>waaah preparing a makefile so you can distribute all your suckless stuff is so hard

it is as hard as moving bspwm and other shit configs
>>
>>75197680
same reason i don't use st
i dont like patching basic shit that's already included in other software
this >>75198126
>>75200233
>sway
>>75197766
Literally no reason, I love it
>>75198247
>>75201394
Ratpoison is a strange one
>>
>>75199289
You can just extend the code to add this feature if you want. I have extra key bindings for loads of stuff.
>>
>>75200351
This is the only wm we need because the code is so simple, you can just customize it however you want
>>
File: but i do.png (15 KB, 506x292)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
Shit thread BTW.
>>
>>75212303
windows is bloat and botnet
bloated botnet
>>
>>75197680
The pros use KDE.
>>
>>75212504
KDE is shit
xfce is better
>>
>>75205213
>thigh gap
what are you, gay?
>>
>>75210730
once you got a well adjusted wm running you don't have to switch to anything
>>
File: 1518206971445.png (13 KB, 355x143)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>75197680
Find tiling useful at times?
Kwin can tile and snap windows.
>>
>>75197680
i3 works out of the box with just a couple of tweaks, I've been using it for about 2 years by now and it would be a huge time investment to manage patches in order to fit my needs
>>
>>75203270
Literally this, tmux + vim and spacemacs for writing complex shit, I just have to uncomment and add few layers and I'm good to go and get shit done.
>>
>>75207244
based anti-bloat harmful uriel poster
>>
>>75207244
>bloat. use less harmful options like bc(1).
bc is fucking awesome and not BLOAT
>>
>>75204596
I do admit that I am lazy, in fact keep all my passwords in a .txt file because it's more convenient than using a password manager. I made a dmenu script to read the file and output the password to my clipboard to whatever I select.
>>
>>75215663
I have all my password in an Org file nicely put inside a table.
>>
>>75200234
For this heresy , you shall burn is the depths of hell for all eternity
>>
File: 77406823_p0.png (589 KB, 1245x1131)
589 KB
589 KB PNG
>>75197680
because tmux, terminator and additional monitor exist
>>
great fucking deal, now after applying an awesomebar patch dwm segfaults after I open more than one window in a given tag
>>
>>75201347
B A S E D

Came here to post this
>>
>>75217130

>>75212303

Who else
/`dwm.exe`/
>>
>>75217153
we are talkin about GNU/LINUX
>>
>>75197680
because suckless are a bunch of pretentious boomer pieces of shit with
>muh under 2000 sloc
but it needs a shit ton of patches to be usable at all so it's not
>muh minimalism
point above, plus it pretty much needs dmenu so dmenu should be counted in too and if it's so minimal why does it include a statusbar
>write C instead of editing a config because configs are bloat!!
is just pure madness, allowing your program to be extensible is great but forcing that to be the only way to configure it is beyond parody of these kind of people
>>
>>75217794
also every dependency should be counted in for sloc, including someone else's header file does not make you more minimalist, just more stretching for an arbitrary goal that means nothing in the end because sloc!=perf
>>
File: 1576364926482.jpg (120 KB, 1024x1024)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>75197680
Openbox configured with LXQT is enough for me
>>
>>75217794
suckless isn't boomer
i know many zoomers that use it
>>
>>75218331
bloat
>>
>muh compiling
You fucking ricers, how many times do you need to compile? Just set a few keybinds and patches, backup dwm file, and youre set.
>>
>>75201046
I think using xlib instead of xcb is what leads to the random mysterious bugs dwm has.
>>
>>75219700
i only compiled literally 3 times and haven't changed shit
>>
>>75219700
It's honestly only marginally more inconvenient than editing i3 config and reloading i3. Pretty insignificant when you only have to do it a few times.
>>
>>75220473
i3 is so bloat tho
it's a waste of time and all you do is rice rice rice and rice more
>>
>>75197680
I'm not a bandwagoning normalfag
>>
>>75199289
> He has to learn a custom scripting language and read several man pages to change a fon't.

It's retarded that it's not an env far or a line per var config file, but it's way better than typical Linux config
>>
>>75222331
this
>>
You bitches need to get off of Luke's cock
>>
>>75222755
what's wrong with luke smith?
>>
TILING WM ARE CRAP

ALL YOU NEED IS i3 WITH TABS

LITERALLY 2 LINES IN THE CONFIG
>>
>>75197680
dum
>>
>>75222331
Environment variable configuration is fucking based, why isn't it used more? Adds almost nothing to the source code, can easily all be done in something like .bashrc
>>
>>75222832
In dwm's case, because the developers are mega-spergs and care more about their LOC cap than correct and maintainable design. Anything more complex than changing variables in a header file is BLOOOOOAT.
>>
>>75222843
>>75222832
i3 is a waste of time but a good beginner wm
dwm is the real deal
>>
>>75197680
I am using sowm now
>>
dwm is the perfect wm since you have control over everything.

to all those guys ranting about patching - ask yourself how often you need to do that once you have everything operate the way you want it to

I got my basic setup and my dotfiles and I am set for every machine I want to work on. No patching, nothing.
>>
>>75202159
based xmoenid user
>>
>>75197680
because I use XFCE, why? It just werks
>>
I tried and it was broken.
>>
>>75197680
xmonad > dwm
>>
>>75223994
How?
>>
>>75224020
how is xmoand any better? it had so many bugs
>>
File: 1585412541342.jpg (65 KB, 800x800)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>75197680
>>
i3 + gaps works for me, what does dwm have to offer that's different?
>>
>dynamic
>can't change config in realtime
also i'm not a retard that just opens a borderless window, mashes in "neofetch", then scrots it to post here for upboats
t. kde user
>>
>>75222331
That makes no sense. Configuring Linux by editing .config manually is discouraged, you should use at least make menuconfig.
>>
>>75226353
you don't spend ricing for hours and weeks
>>
>>75197680
Sorry I'm too busy being a bspwm chad
>>
>>75223297
Yeah I'm with you on that anon. I personally use debian since I can install it in ~5 mintutes flat and deploy my dotfiles + packages + dwm in another 10-15. Works great for me and I haven't touched dwm in a few years now that everything just werks.
>>
>>75223297
this i never patched shit on my dwm
>>
>>75223905
xfce is great but it's bloat though
>>
>>75207868
bloat
>>
The linux kernel is bloat
>>
>>75199211
>titlebar has emojis
Faggot
>>
>>75229317
no it isn't
the linux kernel isn't bloat
>>
>>75206544
you don't need to know anything
all you do is compile and run it
>>
>>75200554
It doesn't, it's buggy as shit and so fucking bloat man
>>
>>75212238
>pls finish my half-baked software for me
The whole point of dwm is the autism. If you can see it for the bullshit it is, why bother?
>>
>>75230008
dwm isn't autism you retard. It's functional
>>
>>75229370
>over 300 system calls
>not bloated
>>
Is there a patch to make it so that when you have only one program visible, it has gaps? The one I applied seems only to apply when more than one program is on screen.
>>
>>75231895
I believe I used the "fullgaps" patch and it works like that
>>
>>75197680
Status bar is bloat. I use bspwm which is even lighter.
>>
>>75197680
I am though.
>>
>>75230546
High-functioning autism is still autism.
>>
>>75222797
I will always remember Luke Smith as the perfect example of what happens when you fall for every single /g/ meme at once, without carefully analyzing them first. He owns four ThinkPads at least. While I see nothing wrong with them in themselves, as they are admittedly pretty good value for the price, four is just mindless consumerism, contradictory to his "philosophy". He started using every single shitty pseudominimalist, ncurses-based program, used a shitty riced out i3 setup of dubious actual productivity (like all tiling wms), then fell for the full Suckless meme and went in even deeper. Then he started making videos shitting on Python and praising C, which is ironic considering he is not even a programmer by his own admission. He effectively spent years trying out, configuring and hopelessly trying to integrate tens of meme programs to build what is, combined, effectively a shittier Emacs, just like most of /g/ was doing in their "productive" desktop threads a year or two ago. Then he read the Unabomber manifesto and blindly accepted it without constructively analyzing it first, same with the anarcho-primitivist ideology that was all the rage about a year and a half on 4chan and 8ch. While he stated on his website that he "didn't browse 4chan much anymore" it was obvious this wasn't the case. Then he went and took the memes way too far, and unironically went to live in isolation. While I see nothing wrong in itself, the actual reason he did it is massive cringe. He has the mentality of someone 10 years younger than he is, yet he acts like a literal boomer jokingly criticizing "zoomers" despite he himself being the worst example of a millennial. He attacks "nerds" when it't painfully obvious he's deeply unhappy with himself, as it was obviously self-directed criticism thinly veiled as an edgy dabbing video. He is a perfect example of someone you should avoid becoming at all costs.
>>
>>75232206
i agree, emacs IS better
>>
>>75232206
I think you're looking a little too deep into this.
>Or maybe he's just a hobbyist and a tree-hugger
>>
>>75197680
1. Config files are not bloat.
2. Sucklesstards are a bunch of faggots.
3. I use tmux, so my choice of wm/dm is irrelevant.
>>
because i use sway like a sane person
>>
>>75232206
i dunno he seems like he's doing pretty good. His new house and property looks really nice. He seems happy.
>>
>>75232206
i agree that he has the mentality of someone 10 years younger than his own age.
but he is a useful idiot. you can always measure your own descent into madness against his own and keep yourself from going down that same meme path. and there were a couple of scripts in his meme repo (most of them not even written by him at this point) that gave me some ideas and helped me write my own versions that, well, sucks less.
>>
I like herbstluftwm
>>
>>75232090
No it isn't. Just because it (bspwm) lacks a feature but is still bigger doesn't make it less bloated retard
>>
>>75232836
whats wrong with xorg?
>>
File: qwe_download.gif (3.26 MB, 344x180)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB GIF
>>75207244
bc and calcurse changed my life.
>>75197680
i3 is sane, works, and does everything I need. plus gaps :^)
>>
Ratpoison is better.
>>
>>75202159
>using a slow GC'd language for something as essential as your window manager
No thanks, I'd rather put these 30 MiBs of RAM to better use. I want my setup to scale from potato laptops that can barely run a modern version of linux to workstations without any sacrifice. Window manager should be as thin as possible, and not get in the way of what I'm actually doing.
>>
>>75197680
>>2020
>>not using dwm
>Explain yourself, /g/?

Was there years ago.
I have to be productive with my environment.
I also use emacs.
My laptop has 64gb ram and 8 cores.
Fuck your "bloat" argument.
i3/sway is better anyways and comes with sane defaults.
>>
>>75212427
Or as i've recently taken to calling it, bloatnet.
>>
>>75234451
i get better everything performance from wayland.

especially mpv and zeroooooooo screen tearing
>>
File: dwm_elitism.jpg (132 KB, 720x320)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>75197680
Why is this a good thing?
>>
>>75237429
its more minimal that way
>>
>>75237429
retards don't ask questions
>>
>>75235403
dwm has an update
it's on 6.2
come back
>>
I figured if I was going to use dmenu I might as well use dwm and st. Never even tried another tiling wm
>>
>>75239147
i use all dmenu st and dwm. God tier trio
>>
>>75240442
It's not just me right? Lightning fast in a way no other options are
>>
>>75240593
yes, i don't know any other tools more functional and sane like these tools. it's a gift from god
>>
>>75240442
>>75240593
>>75240946
I think suckless is putting something in the water
>>
>>75241251
Ya got me, a tiny circle of programming spergs organized a conspiracy to plant misinformation on /g/
>>
>>75241251
yes im a glownigger that loves bloat software
>>
you guys can't deny how useful dmenu is though
>>
>>75242032
dmenu is the tool that made me love suckless desu
i started out on i3. i3 is nothing without dmenu
>>
>>75197680
But... Process manager shows dwm.exe ... So I am.
>>
>>75242258
thats wangblows
https://dwm.suckless.org/
>>
File: 1585492663472.png (580 KB, 990x682)
580 KB
580 KB PNG
>>75203524
>Systemd network management
>>
>>75210501
lmao what are you a girl?
>>
>>75197680
But I am, you see.
>>
>>75241251
They are putting something in the water. Quality fuckin software baby.
>>
>>75203559
if you're still around anon, I tried the whole shebang with netctl and all. I ended up having too many issues with either my eduroam connection or my home network. I ended up switching to connman for wifi and I've never looked back. It's also solid for bluetooth connections.
>>
>>75242616
BASED
also which font is that anonymous?
>>
>>75242805
xos4 Terminus at 8pt. Should come pre-installed with any Arch-based distro.
>>
>>75200564
how does i3 appeal to anyone these days?
>>
File: x.png (471 KB, 708x708)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
>>75197680
dont wanna edit header files
bspwm take it or leave it
>>
>>75243308
shills on youtube and redd*t
>>
>>75203270
Same here. At some point I realized tiling is only useful for certain applications, mostly terminals and browser. Almost every other window gets in the way when tiled, either due to being stretched too large or squeezed too small. Fortunetly the floating support in Awesome is pretty good.

This is what I did:

Set all clients floating by default

Make only certain clients tiled

Enable titlebars for floating clients and hide when tiled or maximized

Make titlebar and menu sizes larger, they should be easy to target and not need precision mouse movement

Add signal handler that allows double clicking on titlebar to maximize

Add custom client rules for placement and size, that honor motif hints, center clients and prevent them from being larger than the screen.

For visual fancyness:

picom - Compositor (fork of compton)

Shadow

Added a handler that sets window shadow only for floating clients

If you want a desktop with icons, I'd recommend:

xfsettingsd - XFCE settings daemon

xfdesktop - XFCE desktop with icons, needs some custom rules to work properly

Resizing

I'm still trying to figure out ways for easier window resizing. You can right click on the titlebar to resize, but usually you want to resize from bottom left/right and not from top. You can also resize by pressing Mod + right mouse button. However, a mouse-only solution would be nice.

I experimented a bit with adding additional small titlebars to the left, right, and bottom, and attach the resize handler. It worked, but would require very precise mouse placement to hit these areas. Also, you can't make them much larger without making it look weird and clumsy. Nevertheless, even the small additional borders looked a bit weird to me, so I didn't keep them.
>>
>>75205861
this
patches are bloated
>>
File: 20200329_22h45m36s_grim.png (427 KB, 3840x1080)
427 KB
427 KB PNG
>>75200233
based
>>
>>75197680
>2020
>not using windows
Gas yourself, retard.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.