[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1539054310873.jpg (134 KB, 540x295)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Is anyone here that works as a SysAdmin?, what do you do everyday, it is comfy?, and what knowledge do you need to have in order to be a good one.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>71391523
Kinda, I host services for other people but it's not technically incorporated so it's not REALLY a job but I keep the lights on and I've worked the position.
>Daily
Wake up, make sure everything's working, check messages to see if anything's shitting the bed, fix anything broke, set up environments/servers for anything the dev guys wanna do.
>Comfy?
Hell yeah
>What should you know?
Technical knowledge:
How to use shell in linux and some scripting knowledge
How to into networking
How to diagnose system issues in a linux environment
How to manage accounts/permissions for linux/windows (most places use linux or other *NIX systems)
How to not get busted hosting a quake server for you and a few good friends that you can mess around with on lunch
Maybe some light dev skills, not 100% needed but I know I had to recently write a backup program to avoid using the built in CP command because it locks the system when it hits an IO bottleneck, python's good, JS is ok for web, C++ is chad tier but a bit overkill
Oh and never set a password for the root user, sudo is your friend

Basically, just mess around hosting some easy stuff on linux and look up a few beginer's tutorials.
>>
>>71391681
Thanks for the help dude, Im studing software development, but im more interested in SysAdmin, so I just started learning linux for that
>>
>>71391523
it depends on the job.

When you work with a company where sysAdmin includes doing tech support it is the fucking worst.

That is what I am doing of course.
Its why I am so suicidal.
>>
>>71391681
been wondering what corporate SysAdmin jobs ?
Whats the difference there and as a freelancer
>>
>>71392008
Well, corporate is corporate, you go into an office every day and either end up doing server setup and maintenance or tech support depending on the kind of sysadmin position the company's offering, if you get in at a good office, you'll have a good time, if not, it's gonna be kinda shitty but at least it pays well.
Freelance is nicer especially if you run your own host service or work with a group of devs you know well but it's not a guaranteed pay, you'll definitely make more in an office unless your code monkey friends make the next facebook.
I'd mostly recommend doing some personal projects with databases like MySQL and web hosting for stuff like Apache to get a feel on how stuff works, that or look into certifications, always good to have and puts you a step above most other people looking for a position.
Docker's also a great asset, avoid it for in dev stuff but once you're launching the actual service it's a great tool.
>>
>>71391523
is this gundam
>>
File: 1559102860651.jpg (1.38 MB, 1317x1536)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>71391681
Not OP, just dont feel like killing another thread.
Where should I go to learn more about networking? I only know the basic shit anyone can find on channels like Linus Tech Tips, and I don't really want to dive into some generic networking book unless I hear from someone else that it's good.
>>
>>71391523
I'm basically a devops janitor.

I do whatever is needed, as two my colleagues.
Program a tool, unfuck a server, set up new systems.
It ranges from "comfy" to "everything is burning", on a scale of "how large is the fire?".
The fire never stops. There's always something fucked, always someone with unexplainable problems, always a moron who's physically incapable of remembering passwords and there's always a backlog of shit that I need to do, like the three different tools that I'm simultaneously working on right now.

All in all it makes you feel like the worst cross of a parent and a fucking moron, because you constantly need to Google asinine shit that you would never even have thought of because you aren't as insane as your users.

The fun parts are installing and documenting new stuff, as well as seeing people content with the work that you're doing for them personally.
The obnoxious parts are legacy gear installed by a third party that you cannot even adjust to be less fuckey because you got no actual access, as well as dipshits who just constantly whine and take three aborted attempts until you even figure out what the tool that they claim they need is supposed to do.
>>
>>71392149
I gotcha, senpai.

https://www.practicalnetworking.net/series/packet-traveling/packet-traveling/

This covers all of the basics. Read more advanced stuff as needed, there's a fuckhuge variety of topics to consider.
>>
>>71392079
I think its from Serial Experiments Lain, i just found the pic in /g/
>>
>>71392179
pretty much that, if you office was a battlefield, devs would be forward infantry and you'd be a combat engineer, one day you're filling sand bags in the sun, the next your picking corpses out of a blown out pill box and refitting it's roof while getting shelled constantly
>>
File: 1559192603223.jpg (12 KB, 400x400)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>71392197
Thanks anon!
>>
>>71392079
>>71392321
It's from Memories (1996), the short being Stink Bomb in that anime.
>>
File: 1532870126564.jpg (100 KB, 1334x750)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>71391523
As other state, you primarily see to that things work. Services run, backups are made, faggots get the access they need. It's hella comfy if the devs and bosses properly respect you for letting them have jobs, and wrestling the eldritch abominations that should not be.
But in many cases you're going to have to nanny fresh out of kindergarten^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcollege Mac/Win/Arch retards and old meat who heard ESXI/Virtualbox was used for anything, at all. You have to learn mental judo to not paint yourself into a corner with these people, because you will find yourself wiping their asses until they retire or you quit.

You have to learn Linux inside-out, install Gentoo, build your own kernel, and write your own init scripts, it really REALLY helps.
You also have to learn why *BSD is an autistic mess and how to deal with it as little as possible. (PRO TIP: PFsense and FreeNAS run 100x better as VMs than on iron.)
VMs are nice, Qemu is your friend.
Bash scripting and cronjobs are mandatory.
Having a basic grasp of Python/Perl is nice but you mostly use it to unfuck scripts you found on the Internet.
As is SQL, you're not building databases, but sanity checking is half the job.
Hardware knowledge is very useful, I'm the only one in the office who knows how to swap hard drives in the servers.
Stop worrying and learn to love the command line.
>>
Don't know if this counts but I am a student system administrator for windows.

I sit on my ass all day, and watch youtube / play games. Sometimes I write a script or make a software package.

In reality, though, I know a lot of shit is handled by my boss. I don't have very high security clearance. I only have administrative access to IP tables, all lab machines, and virtual machine access. I have limited access to servers. I feel like I don't do much but my boss doesn't ever give me more to do.
>>
>>71392524
>*BSD is an autistic mess
The documentation is supposedly good.
Linux is pure autism in that regard.

I also do database administration, sometimes creating my own databases for niche use-cases where Excel was abused in disturbing ways.
SQL can be absolutely vital, depending on where you are. You also need to know both Windows and Linux, BSD knowledge is good for Mac shit if you are forced to help with that.

Also, fuck Android and iOS. They are bitches from an administrator's point of view, especially if the amount of devices is so low that paying out of your ass for Google's/Apple's admin solutions is not viable.
>>
>>71392524
bsds, particularly openbsd, are as clean and consistent as you can get in the modern unix-like world

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.