[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: python deprecated.png (64 KB, 934x363)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
Python is cancelled. Scriptshits BTFO.
>>
File: 1558543682148.gif (376 KB, 500x491)
376 KB
376 KB GIF
>>71382069
MACTODDLERS BTFO
>>
why? They're killing their market

all coders and programmers use macs because the management always buy them and they're pretty useful because of bash and a lot of unix stuff you don't get with windows

inb4 satania
>>
>>71382069
sounds pretty based to me
>>
Literally anyone who would ever use scripting languages on macOS installs it via brew.
Nobody uses the defaults, even stuff like gcc redirects to clang by default.
>>
MacPorts gots ya covered
https://www.macports.org/
port install python
port install ruby
port install perl

next?
>>
>apple does something right for once
Hard to believe
>>
>>71382069
>not bloating the install and letting people download what they need
And some brainlet will still find a way to see it in a negative light.
>>
>>71382069
So, now I can easily run Python 3 instead of keeping track of some outdated Python 2 shit that ships with my Mac?

This is a good thing.
>>
>>71382069
I would fucking love to use macOS but I'm not buying their shitty overpriced hardware. And yes, you can run it on a hypervisor, but it's a crap solution prone to breakage.
>>
>>71383500
The Windows users on /g/ have severe Apple derangement syndrome. They will try to spin anything Apple does into a negative. Even when it is something objectively good like this.
>>
They're not removing my precious tclsh are they?
>>
Default installed outdated versions. Anyone half serious always installs newer versions via homebrew/ports/etc.
>>
>>71382133
>why? They're killing their market
what is home-brew? the default shit that ships with macOS is always outdated and you end up replacing it either way..
>>
>>71382220
>>71383417
>>71383500
>>71383651
>>71383676
So, how are you going to get homebrew running without these languages built in? Run some binary off the internet? Nice.
>>
>>71383717
Obviously they'll ship a version of tcl or ruby with their tarball of scripts. I think macports already does this
>>
>>71383417
>just use yet another package manager dude
Great, another reason to avoid macOS.

>>71383500
Why do they include an office suite? Pages alone uses a lot more space than any of these languages.
>>
>>71384022
>Why do they include an office suite?
They don't.
>>
>>71384212
Show me a computer I can buy with macOS that doesn't include an office suite.
>>
>>71384212
https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/macos/
>included apps
>pages
>numbers
>keynote
Imagined being paid to shill for a company and not even knowing their products.
>>
>>71384258
>>71384313
That comes with the MacBook Pro. Not macOS. Are you retarded?
>>
>>71384489
This is by far the dumbest straw an Apple shill has ever grasped at.
Again, show me a computer I can buy with macOS that does not include an office suite. I'm waiting.
>>
>>71384653
Your original claim is that macOS includes an office suite. Not that MacBooks sold include an office suite, in addition to other software. This is a thread about macOS. macOS by default does not include an office suite. Are all you winjeets this stupid?
>>
>>71382128
based
>>71384675
cringe
>>
>trusting a programming language based on a snake
mankind fell for his tricks before, I will not doom myself with the same mistake
>>
>>71382133
mac ships with 2.7
who even uses 2.7 anymore
>>
https://qz.com/1624252/pythons-creator-thinks-it-has-a-diversity-problem/

awww shame
>>
>>71384653
I thought you had to download iWork (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) from the App Store
>>
File: 1504392304615.jpg (46 KB, 465x261)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
If you're actually using python, ruby, or perl the first thing you'll do is
brew install python ruby perl
>>
>>71384751
No, it comes with macOS.

>>71384754
But that's garbage. Why would you use several package managers for one OS and get conflicts?
>>
>>71384784
>No, it comes with macOS.
It doesn't. You don't know what you're talking about.
>Why would you use several package managers for one OS and get conflicts?
You don't use several, you use homebrew.
>>
They’re removing python 2.7, not python 3.
>>
>>71384675
But macOS DOES include an office suite. In every single form that macOS is distributed, it includes an office suite.
>macOS by default does not include an office suite
Prove this statement.
>>
>>71384806
https://www.quora.com/What-programs-come-preinstalled-on-the-new-MacBook-Is-Pages-one-of-them
>Pages, Numbers, and Keynote do not come preinstalled.
>Assuming you bought your MacBook on or after October 1, 2013, they are free downloads from the Mac App Store for qualifying computers.
>>
>>71384797
>It doesn't.
I asked you to prove this statement.
>You don't use several, you use homebrew.
What do you think pkgsrc is, you retard?
>>
>>71384806
>In every single form that macOS is distributed
You can download macOS for free. That does not include an office suite. The base install does not include an office suite, winjeet.
>Prove this statement.
see >>71384817
>>71384821
>I asked you to prove this statement.
see >>71384817
>What do you think pkgsrc is, you retard?
Does not need to be used, winjeet.
>>
Is Perl better than python soÿ faggotry?
>>
>>71384817
>Quora
Fucking lol. From the manufacturer's own website:
>Built-in Apps:
>Pages
>Numbers
>Keynote

>>71384836
>You can download macOS for free. That does not include an office suite.
Provide an official download link for macOS that does not include Pages.
>Does not need to be used, winjeet
So your solution is to not use the App Store at all?
>>
>>71384022
>Why do they include an office suite?
They do? Wasn't it the option to download the stuff from the store? Been a while since I bought a new Mac.

And if they do, well it's obviously a shit decision, and the size of the thing is horrible too. Doesn't negate their good one.
>>
>>71384880
https://www.apple.com/pages/
>Download Pages for Mac
>Pages for Mac, Numbers for Mac, and Keynote for Mac are available on the Mac App Store. macOS High Sierra or later required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
pretty sure they're not included because I had to download them friend
>>
>>71384893
Yes, I think it changed quite a while ago. I'm going to say somewhere around the time they changed their naming scheme from cats to mountains.
>>
>>71382133
Installing an optional package is trivial. Whether it’s an official one like Xcode command line tools or through a third party package manager like brew, this is a nonissue for actual coders. Moron.
>>
>>71384880
>Provide an official download link for macOS that does not include Pages.
App store.
>So your solution is to not use the App Store at all?
To install packages? Yes. There is nothing worth using there besides macOS.
>Fucking lol. From the manufacturer's own website:
That's for the MacBook Pro when bought through them, you illiterate winjeet. Why do you pajeets have ADS so badly?
>>
>>71384784
>But that's garbage. Why would you use several package managers for one OS and get conflicts?
brew is a single package manager. Do you think Apple has a built in package manager or something?
>>
>>71384913
Well, mine is from 2015, but I just don't recall whether they were preinstalled. Think Garageband and iMovie were for sure.
>>
>>71384921
>coders
>>
>>71384945
Only winjeets think like this. "coding" has been a commonly used term since the 60s.
>>
>>71384945
Using your own retarded choice of words OP
>>
>>71384912
>it's built-in because you can download it again
Getting a bit desperate aren't we? How else would you re-install it?

>>71384921
Actually it should be trivial, but it isn't. If you have Xcode and decide to install python through brew, you'll get 2 installations. Sometimes you can't update brew packages because Xcode hasn't been updated. It's a clusterfuck.
But you don't care about that, you get paid to pretend like these issues don't exist.

>>71384936
>Do you think Apple has a built in package manager or something?
I remember when Apple shills were top of the line. Like incomparable to Microsoft shills. Now it's just morons who don't even know their own products.
To answer your question yes, macOS does have a package manager. It's called pkgsrc. It's what the App Store uses.
>>
Mactoddlers are just the worst.
Observe how they try to justify Apples methods of preventing them from gaining access to software.

>"Yes massa, I will not try to run apps from outside of the app store on my MAC."

Pathetic excuses left and right.
>>
>>71384955
So has AIDS. "Coders" are retards. It's a term made up by web developers because they can't call themselves programmers.
>>
>>71384970
What? Everyone in here is saying to use homebrew. Nobody is talking about the App Store. Winjeets really think you can't install anything outside of the App Store, where as their OS prevents installation of anything outside of the Windows Store.
>>71384979
No "coder" has been used in the real world for 60 years. You just get upset about it because your video games didn't use it. That's all you know.
>>
>>71384967
>Getting a bit desperate aren't we? How else would you re-install it?
Consider that Pages, Keynote and Numbers only became free in april 2017.
I checked the Ars Technica reviews for 10.13 and 10.14 (which tend to be pretty thorough when it comes to new features) and found no mention of the iwork suite coming preinstalled.
>>
It looks like every operating system is improving ins some way. That's good.
>>
>>71384992
>I checked the Ars Technica reviews for 10.13 and 10.14 (which tend to be pretty thorough when it comes to new features) and found no mention of the iwork suite coming preinstalled.
It's because that guy is talking out his ass. He's a retard.
>>
>>71384970
THAT CHAD FACE. No wonder /v/ kids are obsessed.
>>
>>71384988
>No "coder" has been used in the real world for 60 years.
I'm gonna need proof, and since you said commonly used" I sure hope it's not like one guy using it.

>>71384992
Absence of proof != proof of absence.

>>71384935
>App store.
You cannot download macOS through the App Store since Mojave. Also, not a link.

What's funny is that I know macOS much better than its Internet Shilling Force.
>>
>>71385020
>I'm gonna need proof
Yeah, I'll go compile all that into audio recordings. Are you retarded?
>You cannot download macOS through the App Store since Mojave
You can download Mojave through the App Store, it is the latest release.
>>
Can't you just download them. It takes like a minute.
>>
File: 1541359127112.gif (21 KB, 416x506)
21 KB
21 KB GIF
>>71384988
I'm not going to install a package manager on somebody elses machine, anon. Nobody who values smooth sailing will do that.
So all in all a whole plethora of options less for everybody, including you, yourself, and still you apparently celebrate it. You make it sound like you appreciate having less, for no actual gain whatsoever. Unless you're the guy maintaining python2, perl and ruby at Apples headquarters, LOL! As if! You're just a consumer drone, you never face the "bloat" you're always parroting about.

The defaults are what matter. That is (was) the epitome and main selling point of macOS: Sane defaults. A sane default web browser. A sane default web cam application. A sane default Mail application. A decent default imaging and file compression utility et cetera. Ask any (ANY) UX developer. Especially the guys that are responsible for the removal of these scripting languages.

Eventually you'll realize that as well.
>>
>>71385042
>I'm not going to install a package manager on somebody elses machine, anon. Nobody who values smooth sailing will do that.
Only a wintoddler would think this.
>So all in all a whole plethora of options less for everybody, including you, yourself, and still you apparently celebrate it.
Nothing changes. You winjeets are just clutching at straws here.
>The defaults are what matter
Again, only a wintoddler would think that. You sound like an old woman.
>>
>>71385036
You can download Mojave if you're on anything before Mojave, otherwise you can't. And obviously I'm not discussing the deprecated versions.
Hey if you can show me a base install of macOS that I can get through the App Store while being on the latest sable that does not include Pages, you win.
>>
>>71385066
Nice ad hominem.
Proceed chewing on some dick, you ƒ bitch nigger.
>>
>>71384967
Safari is definitely not a sane web browser. Sucks to be you, get ready to port all your keyloggers to applescript.
>>
>>71385077
>You can download Mojave if you're on anything before Mojave, otherwise you can't
What else would you be on?
>>71385081
Yeah, no one cares what you think, wintoddler. Cry harder.
>>
>>71385066
>You winjeets are just clutching at straws here.
From the guy using Quora as an official source for his made-up claims.

>>71385082
Wrong quote bro.
>>
In his fit or rage of realizing he's retarded, that sucker even starts to mix up post.

Yep, you're suicide watch, shilltoddler.
>>
>>71385093
you're on* kek

Get rekt, ƒ bitch nigger.
>>
>>71385088
From the pajeet who thinks iWork comes with macOS by default. What a bitch.
>>
>>71385093
Calm down schizo, I'm shitposting on multiple tabs.
>>
>>71385086
Uh, on the latest stable? So you think you can't download Mojave unless you're on anything before Mojave? Lmao. Please keep showing us how little you know about the things you're paid to shill.
>>
>>71384967
It’s only a clusterfuck if you’re a mouth breather who has to google instructions for every little thing
>>
>>71385118
>Uh, on the latest stable?
That's what I'm on and I can download it just fine. Not sure about your issue, but you should report it.
>>
>>71385116
>schizo
Smoke some, bitch. Even their patience was gone.
We're rather skitzos than a cuck consumer drone dick sucker like you are.
>>
>>71385126
>REEEEE YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG
>MY TOY WOULD NEVER BREAK
>>
>>71385144
>called out for being a google search citing tard
>Posts google search results to prove point

Mouth breathing moron
>>
>>71384970
Does he fucks Tim Cuck?
>>
>>71385134
>>71385118
Like this? Though it sends me to update screen.
>>
>>71385134
And whenever I install the base, the stock macOS includes Pages. It's almost like it's included. Just like Apple's own page about macOS says:
>built-in apps:
>pages
But you and Quora know macOS better than Apple, anon.
>>
>>71385176
>3.8
Not good, not terrible.
>>
I don't see the issue.

>>71382133
Nobody uses the versions bundled by the OS.
>>
>>71385170
>REEEE THAT DOESN'T COUNT
>ALL THOSE PEOPLE ARE LYING
>>
>>71385176
Mine prompts a download.
>>71385179
You were quoting a page about the MacBook Pro. Work on your reading comprehension, pajeet. I'm on a fresh install of Mojave and see no iWork applications. Where are they?
>>
>>71384967
you're thinking of pkgutil or sofwtwareupdate. pkgsrc doesn't come with macOS. Also pkgutil is hardly a package manager. I mean it can install .pkg files, view what they will install and where, and that can help you figure out what you need to get rid of the .pkg receipts but it doesn't connect you to any repository of pkgs so it's really useless as a cli tool.
In a way, softwareupdate is more of a package manager. But it only deals with system updates, so it's not really useful.

>>71385020
>Absence of proof != proof of absence.
What are you going to ask Santa for this Christmas?
>>
>>71385206
>macbook pro
That page clearly says it's about macOS.
>where are they
You deleted the applications that were included in the macOS base installation, what's your point? You could delete Aqua if you wanted.
>inb4 Aqua is not a part of macOS
>>
File: 1546682682724.gif (54 KB, 500x470)
54 KB
54 KB GIF
>>71385197
When you enter a car, the car doesn't make
>vroooom vrrrooooom
but
>hurrrr durrrrrrr

Stop having contagious retardation. Keep your retarded defaults to yourself.
>>
>>71385206
>Mine prompts a download.
Well, haven't updated mine to the last version, so probably that's why.
>>
>>71385206
They hide behind the safari icon, lulz.
>>
>>71385227
Whatever you say pajeet.
>>
>>71385225
>That page clearly says it's about macOS.
On the MacBook Pro that is sold through Apple. Again, work on your reading comprehension.
>You deleted the applications that were included in the macOS base installation
No I didn't. I think you're just a lying pajeet.
>>
>>71385203
Idiots who have to use google to tech support for the most inane little thing will naturally wind up at google to tech support. fucking moron,
>>
>>71385242
Assume some more, it's delightful.

Scumbag.
>>
>>71385216
>it can install .pkg files
Gee, it's almost like it's a package manager.
>but it can't connect to any repositories
And? If I turn off my internet, is rpm suddenly not a package manager?
>What are you going to ask Santa for this Christmas?
For iToddlers to get BTFO.
But seriously, I never claimed Santa existed, you/he claimed Pages is not a part of macOS.
>>
>>71385267
Learn to shit in a fucking toilet.
>>
>>71385245
>pajeet
Get new material, bitch nigger.
>>
>>71385278
Does that cut you deep, winjeet? It's because it is true.
>>
>>71385271
He just explained to you how it’s not. you moron.
>>
>>71385277
Klärwerke sind die KZs der Neuzeit, wusstest du das nicht, mein kleiner dummer bitch nigger?
>>
>>71385271
>you/he claimed Pages is not a part of macOS.
And you're claiming it's not; and neither of you provided 100% proof. Gotta find someone autistic enough to do a fresh install to find the truth.
>>
>>71385283
Think about this post next time you cut yourself when shaving, top kek.
>>
>>71385290
>And you're claiming it's not; and neither of you provided 100% proof. Gotta find someone autistic enough to do a fresh install to find the truth.
I have a fresh install right here and it is not installed. Anyone who has ever installed macOS knows iWork does not come with the OS. It's just a single pajeet who is claiming it is.
>>
>>71385306
xD
>>
>>71385308
It comes on the same disc, retard bitch nigger.

They're talking out their asses like there's no tomorrow. Mactoddlers are just the worst.
>>
based apple
>>
>>71385318
>It comes on the same disc
You really are retarded. Which disc are you referring to?
>>
>>71384967
>I remember when Apple shills were top of the line
Apple has never shipped a package manager with their userspace.
>>
>>71385287
And I explained it is, you moron. Pages comes pre-installed in macOS.
>>
>>71385334
>Pages comes pre-installed in macOS.
Any evidence for this?
>>
>>71385271
>Gee, it's almost like it's a package manager.
A sorry excuse for one, that's for sure.
But the one you mentioned, pkgsrc, is a decent package manager (although it is not native).

Anyway, I just found a video and you are right in that iWork does come preinstalled in new Macbooks
https://youtu.be/23PmRrFolMw?t=321
That said, it does not come with the Mojave install
>>
>>71385350
>I just found a video and you are right in that iWork does come preinstalled in new Macbooks
No one disputed this at all. The claim he made was that iWork comes with macOS, which is false.
>>
Dumb bitch niggers
>>71385327
There are many, e.g. the imac tiger install disc. It came with iwork integrated into the system disc, aka. you're in over your head and a literal dumb bitch nigger that can't cope with being wrong.
Here's something I just found using google, to quote a nother mactoddler:
>If you upgraded the OS the Yosemite, the software is free to download from the App Store. iLife used to be a separate download too, but they have since interacted it in the standard install. They didn't integrate iWork, but instead made it available for free, provided you follow their upgrades.

>iLife used to be a separate download too, but they have since interacted it in the standard install.

Where did the snake in your pants, go, bitch nigger? LULZ, a bitch nigger, that's what you are. Go dilate on a python3 beer-pong dildo.
>>
>>71385336
It doesn’t. You can make a bootable USB from the DMG it doesn’t install that shit
>>
>>71385363
it literally says they didn't integrate iWork
>>
>>71384022
>>just use yet another package manager dude
>Great, another reason to avoid macOS.
Idiot, macOS doesn’t come with any package manager, you are free to install what you want.

> Why do they include an office suite? Pages alone uses a lot more space than any of these languages.
They don’t include an office suite, pages and other are only installed on demand.
>>
>>71385363
>There are many, e.g. the imac tiger install disc
You have to go back to 2005 to find an example of this? That is only the retail disc, anyway.
>>iLife used to be a separate download too, but they have since interacted it in the standard install.
Incorrect. iLife is not installed by default on macOS. Neither is iWork. You're wrong. You wintoddlers seriously have no idea what you're talking about. You're so deranged by Apple that your tiny pajeet mind is making shit up.
>>71385375
I know. I did that just a couple of days ago. I just want to see wintoddlers trip on their own shoelaces trying to justify their inane assertions.
>>
>>71385375
Cool, post a link to this .dmg that doesn't include Pages, I'll make a pen and boot it now.
Let me guess, you can't.
>>
>>71385400
It's right there on the App Store, retard.
>>
File: 1554435108899.gif (1.69 MB, 296x215)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB GIF
>using an operating system called "high sierra" on one hand and calling people skitzos on another hand
Can't make this bitch nigga shit up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozW1qwr91bA
>>
>>71385418
Nice nigger music, winjeet.
>>
>"yess muh appul massa, let me justify your choices on a israeli sock puppet sewing forum, yes massa, that will show them!"
Got a raise for your pathetic online behaviour yet? By Satya? Or Tim? Or is Linus the driving force behind your retardation, dickless bitch nigger?
>>
>>71385400
It’s on the App Store you fucking moron. if you already upgraded you can find it in your purchase history,
>>
>>71385392
>Idiot, macOS doesn’t come with any package manager,
What's this? Another iToddler that doesn't even know their own OS?
https://en.m.wikiversity.org/wiki/MacOS/pkgutil

>They don’t include an office suite, pages and other are only installed on demand
>Built-in Apps:
>Pages
>Numbers
>Keynote

>>71385408
What's this? Another deflection?
>>
>>71385422
No I don't have any tissues for you.
>>
>>71385442
>What's this? Another deflection?
How is that a deflection? Are you really this illiterate, winjeet?
>>
>>71385440
>just go on the App Store
Fucking LMAO
I'm not your bitch, if you want to prove your claim, then you present the evidence. Hey the proof to my claim is achieved by reading Tolstoy's entire works, get to it.
>>
>>71385359
He’s just dumb as shit.

Pages, numbers, etc. are PAID APPS.

They will become free after you buy an Apple device like an iPad or whatever.

They are not installed on default, they must be installed through the AppStore.

And why would anyone use anything other than that?

Steve Jobs is the greatest presenter that ever was and he only used Keynote for his presentations. If it’s good for Steve Jobs, is more than good enough for anyone else.

Linux, Windows and Android all miss a decent Keynote alternative. And it shows.

If you are getting a PhD from top tier universities, you’ll need to write your thesis in LaTeX and present the defense in Keynote.
>>
>>71385460
What the fuck is wrong with this pajeet? What are you after? He just fucking told you where it is and now you're ooging and booging like a jungle bunny.
>>
>>71385471
Less coping, more War and Peace.
>>
>>71385480
What are you looking for? You were told where to download Mojave from just as you asked.
>>
>>71385480
You’re not clever or funny or entertaining.
>>
>>71385442
> What's this? Another iToddler that doesn't even know their own OS?
https://en.m.wikiversity.org/wiki/MacOS/pkgutil

“Packages” on macOS are not equivalent to Linux and *BSD packages.

> https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/macos/

>>71385470
>>
>>71385480
Shit taste, bud. Anna Karenina is where it's at.
>>
>>71385442
pkgutil is not a package manager because it doesn't "manage". It can give you information about .pkg files. it can tell you what packages are installed on your system. It can tell you where the files of certain packages are.
it can't install packages or uninstall them.
that's why it's called pkgutil and not pkgman.
>>
>>71383676
>what is home-brew?
Written by someone who doesn't even know how to program and freely admits that homebrew is shit and he's a dick yet expected Google to hire him even though he can't invert a binary tree.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-logic-behind-Google-rejecting-Max-Howell-the-author-of-Homebrew-for-not-being-able-to-invert-a-binary-tree
>>
>>71385512
How is homebrew shit? Remember to show evidence.
>>
>>71385520
https://applehelpwriter.com/2018/03/21/how-homebrew-invites-users-to-get-pwned/
>>
>>71385547
Nope.
>>
>>71382069
>won't include scripting language runtimes BY DEFAULT

It's nothing.
>>
>>71385553
>Nope.
Yes, you dumb illiterate bitch nigger.

>>71385568
>(New!) Defaults don't matter!
>>
>>71382133
even bash is being replaced as default shell
apple is just cutting the bloat and outdated bullshit, this is just a small piece of the pie
>>
>>71385574
>Yes, you dumb illiterate bitch nigger.
You can't even think for yourself, you're a drone. You're just rehashing old arguments you read on Goygle that you don't understand. You don't even know what a package manager is. Fucking retard.
>>
>>71385582
>>71385582
>>71385582
>>71385582
>>71385582
Nothing to fear, bitch nigger? Well then go ahead:
curl -s -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/keroserene/rickrollrc/master/roll.sh | bash

ƒ bitch nigger.
>>
>>71385604
xD
>>
>>71383599
>The Windows users on /g/
Nice meme. Which Windows version come with all that shits in the OP?
Just admit freetards attacked you and you're too much of a pussy to call them out.
>>
>>71384921
>calling yourself a coder
Yikes
>>
>>71385656
GNU users realise that it is better for those to not be installed by default. Only Wintoddlers think this is anything worth talking about.
>>
>>71385656
Freetards outside of the total zealots rarely bitch about Applel. Usually it's the wintards with their inferiority syndrome.
>>
>>71385665
>Winchads
>knowing about these nerd shits at all
Lmao. You pathetic faggot won't call them out because you know they're the majority here and you think attacking winfags gonna gain some freetards sympathy
>>
>>71385746
It's just a fact. You're a winjeet who doesn't know shit, yet here you are trying to attack Apple. You disproved your own point.
>>
>>71385665
>>71385732
>haha gnubros we're all in unix family here, no ways you guys hate me- i meant us r-right?!!
>>
>>71385746
>you know they're the majority here
Have you not seen the OS chart threads? 7 alone has a notable share. And when did not knowing about things ever stop people from commenting? /g/ would be slower than /lit/ if people only talked about shit they know.
>>
>>71385768
I don't care about GNU users. I'm just pointing out that the people who have ADS are all wintoddlers.
>>
>>71385776
Majority, sure but all? There are some BUT LOONIX IS A KERNEL pedos who suffer pretty badly from it too.
>>
>>71385792
Nope. Most GNU users don't care about Apple at all, others are never deranged about disliking Apple at all. Why would they be?
>>
>>71385470

Psh, I'm working on my PhD. Libre Office worked for presenting on my QE, it'll work for presenting my defense. LaTeX for the writing is still correct, however.
>>
>>71382128
scripting languages shipped with wangblows = ???

oh right, it doesn't ship with anything, you have to install it yourself and use the windows 95 ui to add it to your path.
>>
>>71385805
The same reason these they seething at Windows. Mac is more popular.
>>
>>71385837
In English?
>>
>>71385830

Windows ships with Powershell and VBScript. Soon, it will also ship with Python.
>>
>>71382069
>forces devs to bundle runtimes, solving a lot of problems for users
Unironically sounds pretty based to me.
>>
File: ruby.jpg (41 KB, 600x600)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>71382069

I don't want the Mac lice tasting my precious Ruby anyway. Linux still loves you, scriptee's.
>>
>>71389543
>Ruby
You're even more homosexual than your average iToddler.
>>
>>71383717
The Homebrew bootstrap script is only written in Ruby as a convenience, I don't see anything in there which can't be easily ported to a shell script. If it already has to install the Xcode command line tools on demand, it can also make sure the optional scripting languages are installed.
https://github.com/Homebrew/install/blob/master/install
>>
File: d2e.png (109 KB, 876x465)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>71385512
maybe he was rejected because he was fucking a white male
>>
File: you know.jpg (115 KB, 1012x675)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>71389612

NO U. Ruby is a girls name.
>>
>>71383676
>what is home-brew?
A software package who's installation depends on the presence of Ruby on that system.
>>
>>71385392
>>Idiot, macOS doesn’t come with any package manager,
It does. It's called "App Store" and it sucks.
>>
>>71384751
Nope, I have Pages installed on this 2015 macbook air and I certainly never opted to install it. It came on this by default.
>>
>>71385392
>Idiot, macOS doesn’t come with any package manager
Open your terminal, type this:
installer --help

Then press enter and apologize.
>>
>>71384967
Macs do NOT ship with pkgsrc, and never have. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>71382069
This is a good thing. I'm sick and tired of how python and perl are required just to fucking boot Linux these days. Fucking bloat.
>>
>>71385042
Basically correct. I've got an extension for mpv that currently works on linux or macos by default. mpv comes with lua support built in, but my extension shells out to a python script. This is fine by default on damn near any linux distribution and on macs, but if macs stop shipping with python by default then my script will stop working on macs (at the very least on macs without homebrew, and possibly on those with it too, depending on how and where the PATH gets set. Particuarly if PATH gets set correctly by LaunchServices)

https://github.com/jgreco/mpv-txt/blob/master/txt_hook.lua
>>
>>71382128
>>71382133
Fuckin gotem
Based satania poster wins again
>>
>>71385271
If a "package manager" can't resolve dependencies, then it's hardly much of a package manager no matter what it calls itself. You wouldn't call unzip a package manager, would you? A package manager without dependency resolution may as well be glorified unzip.
>>
>>71382069
>>71382069
Python 2x is EOL, so of course they're removing it.

All this does is make scripters lives easier since they don't have to check for Mac OS's horrifically outdated runtimes anymore
>>
>>71391176
So it has a bad package manager. I still get issues between Xcode and homebrew, and apparently I'm not alone: >>71385144
Homebrew itself is not bad. It's just not built-in and will obviously throw up errors because macOS is not made for it, it is made for macOS. If you could add repos to a built-in package manager, we wouldn't need brew at all, but that will never happen.
>>
>>71389543
Ruby is rapidly hurdling towards irrelevance, particularly now that the rails bubble has popped. Ruby has a dwindling number of dedicated fanatics, but that's about it. For better or worse, Python has won the war.
>>
>>71385830
>>
>>71391233
>>So it has a bad package manager.
No, not really. Not in any meaningful sense.
>Homebrew itself is not bad.
I never said otherwise, I might even go further and say it's pretty good. But that's beyond the point anyway which is that macos does not ship with anything that could _in_practice_ fill the roll of a package manager.
>>
>>71391265
>Not in any meaningful sense.
Lack of features. You yourself mentioned dependency resolution.
You're skipping my main point: you need brew if you want things like updating Python, but brew has conflicts with Xcode. My linux distro doesn't have this problem, I can add repos and don't have to juggle N different package managers.
>>
>>71391213
>All this does is make scripters lives easier since they don't have to check for Mac OS's horrifically outdated runtimes anymore
Before: It works after checking for Mac OS's horrifically outdated runtimes.
After: It doesn't work.

Life on ez mode! At last I truly see!
>>
File: ollesafeee.jpg (39 KB, 800x450)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>71391366
Can't have bugs in your scripts if they don't run.
>>
>>71391321
>>You're skipping my main point: you need brew if you want things like updating Python, but brew has conflicts with Xcode. My linux distro doesn't have this problem
Well I never disputed any of that. What I'll say though is that on MacOS you don't have to juggle multiple package managers at once. Rather, you have to contend with installing a package manager yourself. On any sane linux distro the package manager is configured by default after installation, but on macos that's not true.

If you really wanted to, you COULD choose to juggle multiple package managers on macos, e.g. you install both homebrew and macports. But in practice there is little reason to do that. And for that matter you could install pkgsrc on Ubuntu and have two package mangers there as well.

Homebrew isn't perfect, but by far the greatest flaw of homebrew is the fact that it isn't installed by default.
>>
>>71391538
>And for that matter you could install pkgsrc on Ubuntu and have two package mangers there as well.
But is there a reason for that? Is there a package that you can't get from apt-get on any ppa, but it's on pkgsrc? Because I'm pretty sure macports and homebrew each have unique packages, so there is a reason to have both. I'm not sure if they conflict with each other, but I am sure homebrew has conflicts with Xcode.
>Homebrew isn't perfect, but by far the greatest flaw of homebrew is the fact that it isn't installed by default.
With official support from Apple? Damn, I might consider getting a mac if this ever happened.
>>
>>71391592
>Because I'm pretty sure macports and homebrew each have unique packages, so there is a reason to have both.
Very little. In practice I'd expect very very few people with homebrew to be using macports. The one case I ran into this a few years ago was guile-ncurses, which at the time was available in macports but not homebrew.

>>And for that matter you could install pkgsrc on Ubuntu and have two package mangers there as well.
>But is there a reason for that?
Actually yes. Installing pkgsrc is handy for users who don't have root/sudo but want to install their own packages, typically in a prefix in their home directory. pkgsrc facilitates this. pkgsrc is also nice if you want to build some packages from source with custom use flags, but still want automatic dependancy resolution. Apt just sucks for that (but homebrew is good at it, so this isn't a reason to run homebrew and pkgsrc alongside each other.)
>>
>>71382133
you lose absolutely nothing by using windows since WSL and VMs exist.
>>
>>71384836
Here's my fresh mojave hackintosh, Used a genuine mojave installer app with a legit mac to make it so don't say "Hurr it's a hackintosh so it doesn't count!"
>>
File: 1549473731711.png (71 KB, 720x405)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>71391770
>zsh
>>
>>71391770
Doesn't that literally search for "Pages|Numbers|Keynote" since you used \|? Can you just grep "Pages"?
I'm not doubting you, and I also don't think this proves anything because lmao rm Pages && clear, I just don't think that does what you think it does.
>>
>>71391829
Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.
>>
>>71391849
>Oh yes massa, zsh good, bash bad! Yes massa, I will only use zsh from now on!
>t. (You)
>>
>>71391859
Not even him, but how is zsh bad? It does everything bash does and some more. It's like the one good change Apple did in ages.
>>
>>71391907
Who cares, fuck zsh and your opinions
>>
>>71391832
The syntax works, there's also no other way i can reasonably prove that the iwork suite doesn't come preinstalled so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
>>71391829
>>71391859
I've used zsh for years before apple made it the default fuck off, it's not even the default yet.
>>
>>71391936
>there's also no other way i can reasonably prove that the iwork suite doesn't come preinstalled
find / -name "Pages.app"
>>
>>71391969
What's stopping me from just deleting or renaming the .app, the only way you can find out for sure is to install macos yourself
>find
piping ls into grep is faster if you know what dir it's supposed to be in, which for iwork is always /Applications
>>
>>71392016
Well what's stopping you from rm Applications/Pages.app? None of this proves anything, I'm just bored at work.
>piping ls into grep is faster if you know what dir it's supposed to be in
Nigga how the hell is piping one process into another faster than a single process? You can do find /Applications -name "Pages.app" if you know it's there. And you should avoid parsing the output of ls.
https://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
>>
>>71392077
>Well what's stopping you from rm Applications/Pages.app? None of this proves anything, I'm just bored at work.
Exactly, I'm just shitposting
>>
>>71385830
It has some shitty Js implementation even shittier VBscript, batch and powershell
>>
>>71391829
There is nothing wrong with zsh. Note that zsh is not oh-my-zsh.
>>
>>71391907
>It does everything bash does and some more.
More features = bloat. Zsh good == bloat good.

>>71383500
>>not bloating the install and letting people download what they need
Bloat... bad?

Now which one is it, mactoddler?
>>
File: 1549670117892.webm (2.71 MB, 480x360)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB WEBM
z shell? More like sissy shell.
>>
>>71384754
>need ruby to install brew
>use brew to install ruby
Yeah m8. Nice one. Now you gotta download ruby first somehow.
>>
>>71392327
I'm not him. I'm using Fedora.
It's not bloat = bad or good, it's Apple = good. If tomorrow Apple decided to remove the graphical shell, they'd say it was good, mouse cursors are bloat. If afterwards an AI to Finder to auto-complete file extensions based on the content, then new features are always good.
Welcome to paid shilling. You should have reported.
>>
based
>>
>>71391969
I know this wasn't really necessary but I downloaded I "Install macOS mojave.app" and in Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -> Core.pkg
I did
pkgutil --expand /Volumes/InstallESD\ 1/Packages/Core.pkg ~/Desktop/mojave

and there definitely is no Pages/Keynote/Numbers packaged within the mojave installer
>>
>>71392840
>Chess
BLOAT
>>
How are linux package managers different from homebrew?
As I understand it, for a package to be installed via homebrew, its "formula" must be submitted and reviewed in order to appear with brew search, but you can add support for git repositories locally via brew tap.
How do linux package managers work? Where do they get their packages from? Is it a similar process?
>>
>>71393711
>>71393711
>How do linux package managers work? Where do they get their packages from? Is it a similar process?
You get told to go on irc and then nothing happens. Or you submit it on their web based thing and it gets rejected because muh autism
>>
>>71393711
Well for starters you can manager your entire system through your distro's package manager. Go ahead and try updating your kernel through brew.
>>
>>71394448
I suspect that's more useful for linux user as you're probably going to have more choice in the matter.
Kernel updates get pushed directly via softwareupdate when available, which is probably better than having to rely on prompting a package manager to update.
>>
>>71394742
Deleted the other post because I understood what you meant.
But anon, my package manager warns me when there's a kernel update, I don't have to open the terminal. What exactly do you think a package manager is?
>>
>>71382069
>macOS
>scriptshits btfo
OP, what is automator
>>
File: Interesting.jpg (40 KB, 540x405)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>71382133
>>71382128
>Apple ships programs with the base-install
>/g/ complains about bloat

>Apple makes the runtimes an optional 1-click install for whoever needs it
>/g/ still complains
Why do you guys hate Apple no matter what they do?
>>
>>71395146
t. seething mactoddler
>>
>>71395146
Show me the one-click install for Python that Apple made, anon.
>>
>>71395018
I guess I was just confused by
>Go ahead and try updating your kernel through brew.
it seems a bit redundant to expect brew to do that given that the OS updater already takes care of it
>>
>>71395259
Right, so you have softwareupdate for OS updates, the App Store for apps, and brew for everything else. I have a single package manager where I can add and remove repos. I don't have to juggle 3 different tools.
You never answered me though, what do you think a package manager is? If you don't know ask your coworkers, there's at least one Apple shill who actually knows his shit.
>>
File: 026 - AqRVnAz.png (71 KB, 255x207)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>US made macOS will never have a package manager
>>
>>71395332
A software that allows you to install, uninstall, configure and update packages
What are you getting at
>>
>>71395827
>configure packages
I don't know what this means. What's a package configuration you can do with rpm, brew or apt?
>uninstall
If you add this requirement you're excluding a lot of stuff. For example, the App Store does not remove apps.
I'll tell you what, if you tell me how I can get a comfy job shilling Apple on 4chan, I'll tell you the right definition.
>>
>>71395332
And tbf the app store only makes sense to use for Apple creativity suite apps (e.g. imovie, garage band, pages, etc), there's no point of using it for downloading regular apps (because it's garbage). And Software Update isn't really that much of a tool you have to juggle with, since it's only a notification that tells you there are updates ready to install and you can tell it to wait, or install them now. So really the only package manager you will use regularly will be homebrew/macports/pkgsrc/etc
>>
no difference
you have to install updated packages anyway
>>
>>71395883
you can configure an install by specifying which dependencies you want e.g.
brew install ffmpeg --with_libbluray

The app store does remove apps it has installed but it's got a shitty bloated ui, so I wouldn't bother
>>
>>71395886
>ok but you only use this one for that
>and this one doesn't really matter
>so you're kinda sorta only using this other one
>and then there's these other ones, but they also don't count
Christ, miss me with your cope kiddo. Enjoy your 30 different installers, I don't give a shit. I get to update everything in my system through a single package manager.
>>
>>71395963
why are you so mad?
>>
>>71391759
>you lose absolutely nothing
except your system's stability and control over when updates are installed

oops!
>>
>>71395977
>gets rekt
>"lol u mad"
2006 called, they want their generic comebacks back.
>>
>New Features
>Installing third party kernel extensions now requires that you restart your Mac before they’re permitted to load. (50340461)

So we're basically Windows now. Fuck this.
>>
>>71395963
You're right. Apple needs to get their shit together. An OS a year, keeps the CPU bug exploiters in fear? I don't think so, Tim. Stop pushing half assed shit because devs are busy fixing massive fuckups not even emerging in their own company.
>>
>>71391759
Wsl is just a glorified bash
>>
>>71392265
Call me dumb but I've had a hell of a time getting C and Java to work inside Powershell
>>
>>71396005
Society called, it wants 2006 back.
>>
>>71382069
Good. Python is dumb. Hopefully this percolates into Linux and cleans it up as well.
>>
>>71392490
>homebrew is just going to not change their delivery method even though Apple made it clear Ruby is not going to be in Catalina
>>
>>71385830
Implying winSHIT is the alternative...
>>
>>71395212
Xcode 11 beta's notes explicitly state it'll be available as an additional download (or some other form). They do this now for Xcode command line tools. You fucking brainlet.
>>
>>71395146
its the culture you uncultured mongrel
>>
>>71397197
more like your autism you braindead loser
>>
>>71397213
autism is the culture you mong
>>
>>71382069
Sublime-using hipsters BTFO
>>
>>71395146
Most Mac users and Python programmers are too retarded to install stuff themselves.
>>
>>71396409
You're retarded for not using bash instead of powershell desu desu. Just use git bash.
>>
>>71391759
Docker in windows is a fucking pain compared to using it on linux where it just works.
>>
>too stupid to fix your own hardware
>not too stupid to "code"
the apple mantra

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.