[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1555329175706.jpg (151 KB, 1356x1187)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/861783

Previous thread: >>70534922
>>
>>70560893
anyone recommend me a good panel?
Has to be themable/customizable, but not macos shit like docker.
Also, how do i get desktop icons if i dont use a DE?
>>
>>70560916
tint2?
>>
File: 1457766921353.gif (622 KB, 480x480)
622 KB
622 KB GIF
>>70560936
>>
>>70560960
All "themes" i've seen is just color changing, but it's good
>>
>>70560893
stop shilling this thot
>>
>>70560893
look at her she's so happy she managed to install it
>>
File: 1524068772931-1.jpg (21 KB, 238x191)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
= What could be causing my laptop to randomly freeze (cannot accept any inputs, capslock indicator LED doesn't toggle, can't ssh, screen frozen, disk platters/fan still spinning) and how do I anticipate and catch/debug the issue, /g/?

I run on kern 4.20(.16?)
My laptop is dell inspiron 11 (3147)

-- I'm another anon but I believe I have the same thing happening sometimes, I'm listening to something on YT while doing something else, suddenly I hear the music loop the same 1-2 second segment over and over and input stops registering, everythig freezes, few seconds later music is gone as well, I wait 3-5 minutes with everything frozen then everything is back to normal

- looks like it's this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236686

= My processor is Pentium N3540 (which IS Baytrail) so this could be it.
But
The thread itself threw me all over the place, bulk-disabling video driver params, power savers, swap space, turbo boost, etc etc.. With each member saying one of those didn't work. What exactly was the issue? Because OP's description fits my case like a shoe.
>>
How do I insert tabs in Emacs org-mode?
The tab key is used to collapse/expand the headings.
>>
>>70561345
Interrupt storm maybe?

Keep a visible terminal open somewhere (second monitor, alterable established ssh, serial port terminal if you're a madman) and inside open top/htop/similar and set sampling delay 1 sec or lower. When the lag hits something irq related should be at the top, eating all CPU.
>>
no response in last thread or sqt, so I'll post here too

Which conf file sets the updating frequency of the monitor in a Debian/wayland/KDE desktop?
I tried to play a game via q4wine, but it immediately froze and now when I log in my cursor appears for a second, but then the monitor goes black and says "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing".
I have already tried rebooting, replugging the monitor, and googling led me to delete '~/.local/share/kscreen', but that did nothing. It's also not xorg.conf.
>>
>>70561403
(KDE) Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Advanced Settings -> Refresh Rate
is possibly what you are looking for.
>>
>>70561383
so the best thing to debug this is to do process- watching. Alright I can do that
>>
>>70561458
yeah but I can't use the graphical environment, so that's why I need to know the config file.
>>
>>70561403
it's also not ~/.config/monitors.xml
>>
Should I use centos or ubuntu server to host my shit? Are there any actual differences anyway?
>>
>>70561376
C-i
C-q <tab>
>>
>>70561579
Oh shit, that does the trick. Thank you
>>
>>70561545
neither, use gentoo
>>
>>70561521
>>70561458
>>70561403
it WAS kscreen
I forgot to unlock my encrypted home dir when I booted into recovery mode so I only deleted some kind of skeleton file

thanks for all the kind messages, and all of your thoughts and prayers
>>
How do I install x and a window manager like mcwm, 2bwm in Arch Linux? I have xorg-server, xorg-xinit and xf86-video(fbdev,vesa,vmware) installed.

startx with any wm install results on a black screen but with no errors reported.

Have to kill it from another terminal.
>>
>>70562651
Try lightdm or sddm or something rather than startx. Or configure your startx.
>>
>>70562658
Also, the error may be in xorg's log, which IIRC is in /var/log/ (same as most distros) on Arch.
>>
i'm on fedora what package to install for media playback? i've installed caffeine but it doesn't suspend when the player stopped
>>
>>70562658
Oh, so I don't need xorg-xinit?

Also, one more thing, how to edit zsh's history?
>>
Someone said to stop using email in the previous thread.
Is this just armchair bullshitting or is there actually a reason not to use email?
>>
>>70562651
The WM is in .xinitrc, isn't it?
>>
>>70562815
Email is fine if you realise that it isn't and was never meant yo be secure.
>>
Is there a way to force gtk programs to reload their ui?
When I change the theme in win7, the ui of all programs (e. g. Firefox) changes as well. When I change my gtk (both 2 and 3) theme in linux, only newly started programs apply the new theme.
I'm using arch with i3.
>>
>>70562846
I tried startx wmname, xinit wmname
>>
I installed a bunch of VMs using virt-install

But I keep getting this message:
domain installation still in progress. Waiting for installation to complete

When I actually check my list of VMs, I get a list,

Id Name State
----------------------------------------------------
1 centos1 running
2 centos2 running
3 centos3 running
4 centos4 running

But when I check for IP I get this

virsh domifaddr centos1

Name MAC address Protocol Address
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing!

I will love you if you can help me with this..
>>
what's the hotkey to show hidden files in ranger or how do I bind it?
>>
Stop using GNU. There are many ways to use Linux without GNU for example Android.
>>
I'm using macchanger on Debian/KDE and it's not working.

Debconf has set it to automatically change the MAC on startup, but it seems to be being blocked by something. ip link set (interface) down doesn't allow it to work either; it reverts to the permanent MAC as soon as the interface is back up. Any idea what's going on here?
>>
>>70562904
install gentoo
>>
>>70562926
Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but you should have an exec wmname in the ~/.xinitrc file, then just enter startx on login. I've never had to specify the WM in TTY.
>>
>>70563134
It's when you have several wms and want to try one and not edit your .xinitrc
>>
>>70560893
Fun fact, the ebin mars image was made using GPL'd code
>>
How can I make the power button on my laptop sleep through acpi on gentoo?
I have already done pic related but it doesn't work properly. When I wake it up it turns on for a split second then goes back to sleep, only the second time fully wakes it up.

Side note: I do know that the void linux apci script works just fine, could I just replace the gentoo script with that?
>>
>>70563030
Why don't you come here and fucking make me
>>
Is there anything wrong with running xubuntu when my main concerns are:

> stability
> security
> compatibility
> low power usage
>>
>>70563310
compatibility to what
>>
>>70563334
Very generally speaking when it comes to drivers but also being able to run software out of the box.
>>
>>70562932
Here.

Actually the command more fitting is :
virsh net-dhcp-leases default

I get nothing.

How do I configure it, so I can access my vms via ssh?
>>
>>70563354
How many years will it take you to grow up from your retarded windows mindset?
>>
>>70563053
Gee, anon, thanks. I'm sure that will help my problem.
Maybe look at the 3rd sentence in the OP.
>>
>>70560893
I just purchased a VPS running Debian 9. Got a domain separetely. When I reset the server the new hostname rests back to the default value set by my host. I changed /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and did hostnamectrl set-hostname. Am I missing something or is this likely part of the VPS reset procedure used by my host?
>>
>>70563387
>How many years will it take you to grow up from your retarded windows mindset?

Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
>>
>>70563429
set the domain from the VPS' web control panel. Look for the link in emails you got from them or in the customer section of their webpage.
>>
>>70563550
thanks, but there's nothing like that. however customer support just send me a mail with articles that are supposed to help me. guess my problem is solved.
>>
I got a half-decent laptop recently and I wanted to throw on a distro that makes it easy to install software and ideally has a lot of packages; the plan is to use it for multimedia stuff more or less exclusively. I tried out Denuvan out of curiosity more than anything, but it doesn't seem to fulfill my needs. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>For a few years, Dubya made himself the "teflon president" through religion: he practiced gnostic Christianity.
What Did Stallman Mean By This?
>>
why is enterprise linux more secure? and why do these supposedly free privacy-oriented libre enthusiast distros lag behind when it comes to security?
>>
>>70563030
Musl/Linux: no dirty animals.
>>
>>70564110
enterprise distros are maintained by paid professionals and usually a big company (redhat, micro focus, univention gmbh etc).
"free privacy-oriented libre enthusiast distros" are maintained by people in their free time.
>>
>>70561480
also try
dmesg -w
to tailf your kernel messages.
>>
>problem
vim showing swap file notices
>my idea
i have syncthing set up over 3 devices, when i edit a file on the phone and it is distributed over the network, somehow during the edits from the phone, timestamps are changed and my computer, when trying to open the file, is confused.
If do, what to do?
>>
Is it possible to install a distro to a USB flash drive without using a bootable CD/DVD (can a VM even do this)? Just wondering if I have to walk down to the shop and grab some cheapo writable DVDs regardless; want to save a bit of time.
>>
>>70564238
Yes. You can install from another usb, use netboot.xyz or start the vmlinuz + initrd.gz using from from a debian-based distros mini.iso
>>
>>70564151
I don't understand this mindset, the idea that many users will switch to radical libre systems instantly through an act of will seems to be a bit deranged, I don't think it's a question of consumer choice at all, in fact it's close to capitalist smoke and mirrors that maintains the idea of "independent consumers" whereas in reality corporate decisions are always large-scale and are conducted by a small group of directors not with the consumer in their mind, whose role is not even secondary, since target audiences are bought and sold every day among companies. Perhaps the aim should be replacing the political system at large, not merely exercising individual acts of will, however heroic they may be?
>>
>>70564261
>install from another USB
In this very moment, I realized I'm stupid as I have some laying around .. now I know what to do with my evening
>>
>>70564110
Because privacy and security are two different concerns. Chrome OS has better security than any enterprise Linux.
>>
>>70564650
>privacy and security are two different concerns
How?
>>
>>70560893
If we start with the barebone linux, pretty much compiling the kernel and then go from there. Would I be able to use linux this way or because of no compatibility with modern technology, I'd have to download a distro?
I feel like the bad part about how shit any distro/OS is because of how bloat they are and being a passive user, I have no choice but to use them. So I want to go from a passive to an active user, to only use what I develop(or at least know the ins and outs of anything I'm using so I can easily modify it when I want it), but I also feel that this may not be doable anymore thanks to how fast technology has advanced from 00s to now.
>>
>>70564843
install ubuntu
>>
>>70564650
Surely the whole rigmarole about sudo groups you have to go through every install is for the benefit of security in business settings? What's an example of a security deficiency in a linux distro?

>>70564773
Second.
>>
>>70564843
Linux from scratch is basically what you're asking for, though I'm unsure it's what you actually want.
>>
Every device you use is running proprietary code, the website your reading this on is proprietary, the electricity you're using was generated and transmitted using proprietary code, and the list goes on including all the proprietary code in the linux kernel. But don't worry about it, its ok to be a hypocrite because the head hypocrite said so.
>>
>>70564875
How is Ubuntu not bloat?

>>70564899
Can I run it using modern technology or I'd have to use some old computer/notebook?
What I want is something as basic as Unix, but that I can develop stuffs like X11 or anything beyond it and not stay forever as pure Unix and I can update it to use new technologies. I want to use only the programs I develop, for example. But I can't start from 0, because I'm pretty sure developing an OS is going to take a lot of time and no matter how I do it, I'll never be able to make it be better than Unix itself.
>>
I've had the following systemd error messages in my journalctl -p 3 -xb for a number of weeks, with me sporadically getting placed into one of those boot error consoles on startup, but I haven't had any luck getting it to go away.

>Error:
Apr 15 14:42:48 archlinux systemd-fsck[457]: Failed to stat /dev/disk/by-uuid/8334652d-b283-442a-8a69-38009fb43038: No such file or directory
Apr 15 14:42:48 archlinux systemd[1]: Failed to start File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/8334652d-b283-442a-8a69-38009fb43038.
-- Subject: A start job for unit systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-8334652d\x2db283\x2d442a\x2d8a69\x2d38009fb43038.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- A start job for unit systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-8334652d\x2db283\x2d442a\x2d8a69\x2d38009fb43038.service has finished with a failure.
--
-- The job identifier is 24 and the job result is failed.

I've done a lot of googling and I've been through the troubleshooting section under the systemd page on archlinux.org, but with no help (There aren't even any processes in systemctl --state=failed). Any help would be appreciated. (Arch Linux x86_64 Linux 5.0.5-arch1-1-ARCH)
>>
>>70565163
>
/dev/disk/by-uuid/8334652d-b283-442a-8a69-38009fb43038

you have partition under disk UUID in your fstab and its set to be checked at boot (last number is not 0 in the line) however the partition no longer exists or now has another UUID.

either remove this line from your fstab or fix it to use the correct UUID or an existing device node (like /dev/sdc2)
>>
recommend me a fast terminal that i dont have to tinker with (st/urxvt)
>>
>>70564911
there is no such thing as proprietary code, there are only proprietary legalisms. I can write some "non-proprietary" code and make it inaccessible to you.
>>
>>70561153
spbp
>>
File: sWhKs.png (84 KB, 1067x724)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
How do I connect my iphone to arch linux?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS

No matter what I do it won't show on my computer. I managed to get it to show on my debian machine but nothing on arch.

I want something like pic related
>>
File: IMG_20190309_155205.jpg (2.63 MB, 4608x3456)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
Is there any hope for SLI on linux?

I have two 670s in SLI mode and kubuntu installed. Getting the drivers to work on boot is a pain and I haven't managed to get them working so far (only works from secure boot for some reason) and when I do get them working my performance is worse than before, which I have heard to be the case from a bunch of other people.
>>
>>70565446
xterm
>>
>>70565446
xfce4-terminal
>>
File: lmao.jpg (24 KB, 369x366)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>70565964
>iphone
>arch linux
>>
>>70566134
my android got fucked so had to get a replacement fast. somebody gave this to me for free.
>>
>>70564885
>Surely the whole rigmarole about sudo groups you have to go through every install is for the benefit of security in business settings?
It's better than encouraging the user to log in as root, but it's not as good as running everything in a sandbox by default.
>What's an example of a security deficiency in a linux distro?
Web browser isn't sandboxed and only updates when the distro updates. Also if you're using X, that's a clusterfuck.

I realize you can work around that and get basically the same results on either platform, but if you're using it out of the box as intended by the developers, enterprise Linux distros generally rely users not being complete retards for security.
>>
>>70564773
Because computer trespass laws exist. Google isn't going to pull some NSA tier chicanery and implant malware in your SSD controller so they can figure out where you buy toilet paper.
>>
How can I help solve this problem which is also affecting me? I've not contributed to github before.

https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3641
>>
>>70560893

>trying to run LVM on a couple of USB SSD drives

Am I retarded, /g/?

Is it possible to do this without risking a nightmare if there is a power outage, server crashes, or other unexpected unmount/unplug?
>>
>>70566501
By installing gentoo.
>>
>>70564911
>Every device you use is running proprietary code
speak for yourself
>the website your reading this on is proprietary
You don't need to run the non-free js code to post on chan
>the electricity you're using was generated and transmitted using proprietary code
not my computers. If the electricity company wants to depend on prorprietary software to be fucked over later, it's not my problem
>the list goes on including all the proprietary code in the linux kerne
Debian ships without prorprietary modules in the kernel.
>its ok to be a hypocrite because the head hypocrite said so
speak for yourself
>>
no pc building threads or stupid questions thread so i come here. I am planning on using an old ps3 2.5 inch hard drive for my computer but im not sure what kind of sata cable to buy
>>
>>70567069
its regular 100% normal sata.
>>
>>70565988
I used SLI in Kubuntu 6.04 or so and FreeBSD7... both worked great, superb. played Nexuiz back then on them.
So I don't know. It was like fucking long ago. It should work?
>>
>>70567069
Easiest way to tell what cable to buy, place/install the hard drive into the desired slot first, then purchase the cable once you know what length it needs to be + if it needs to be right-angled
PS3's hard drive slot was made to be user upgradable, it's just a normal sata drive
>>
>>70566612
This sounds extremely dangerous/fun.

>>70567069
sata cables are (almost) all the same
>>
Finally got a secondary hard drive. Looking to dual boot linux next to what I've already got. I've been recommended Alpine.
My purpose in using linux is as a better platform for game development than what I'm currently using. I know I don't know much, but I also know I'm better off than the average, dreaded user.
Any recommendations for a linux distribution for someone with minimal experience using linux?
>>
hey guys i was wondering if there is a way/ a patch dwm to be able to utilize the left over space of my laptop screen. the pictuer attached shows a terminal in the middle of my screen which is an area that consists of dead pixels and i was wondering if i could maybe add a secondary master (probably a terminal) that makes the right side (the right empty wallpaper side) useable so that i can launch sth in it and the half of the text doesnt disapper. idk if im making any sense but i hope i am since i really like using dwm and i dont want to switch to another wm
>>
>>70567431
>Any recommendations for a linux distribution for someone with minimal experience using linux?
Not Alpine.
>>
>>70567431
Ubuntu.
IF you have a crap PC, Xubuntu.

Maybe Manjaro.

For real though, there is no "super Linux" out there, anon.
>>
>>70566612
People ran RAID1/RAID0 on USB pendrives in the 1990s. There is nothing wrong/weird about this really.
>>
>>70565988
>>70567389
I think it was FreeBSD 7... but yea I just installed the Blob it said it found two GPUs and I had SLI displayed in the Nvidia Panel. Perf wise they were good.

What cards... phewwwww..... 2x 7600 or something I think? Man I feel old... I am old...
>>
>>70567467
basically i want the layout to be like the following i
+-------------------------+------+-------+
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
+-----------"1"----------+-"2"-+-"3"-+

1- the master area where i do most things
2- the area which includes the dead pixels
3- the leftover which i want to utilize, maybe have it be used fully by on programm vertically
>>
>>70567431
it's either Mint or Ubuntu
or pop!
or Solus
or Ubuntu MATE
or Manjaro
Skip Elementary, it's for babbys
There's so many good starters lately! Don't forget to disable fastboot
>>
File: downloadfile-2.jpg (121 KB, 825x464)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
if I'm setting up a matrix server with matrix-synapse and using riot, do I need to pay to register a domain or can I just have friends use my ip and forward my ports to connect to it?
>>
>>70567431
bunsenlabs or antergos.. both are lightweight [pick the openbox wm for antergos though]
>>
How do I install stuff from the AUR without adding a million gpg keys?
>>
File: EBAGREN.jpg (403 KB, 1734x2427)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>Thinkpad W541
>fresh install of Win10 on primary SSD
>fresh install of manjaro on secondary SSD
I dont see grub at boot, when updating grub after logging into Manjaro, I dont see any windows entries. Checking fdisk and the partitions of my windows drive seem fine.
Assistance requested!
>>
>>70568018
actually, I don't see EFI partitions on my windows drive any longer.
>itjustwerx
>>
Okay, faguettes.
I have German Quality distribution, die OpenSUSE, and I have weird issue with it.
WiFi won't connect sometimes. How to fix that?
>>
>>70568810
make sure your card works with the driver. I've had issues with broadcom wifi cards and rpm-centered distros. ubungo/debian and arch have better nonfree driver support in my experience. broadcom-wl-dkms is what I used on a bcm4331 I think. check your card with lspci | grep Network and look up what driver you need and install that.
>>
>>70569069
That is not driver problem.
When I had macbook, I thought it was the issue, but now I have Qualcomm/Atheros...
>ubungo/debian
Not really. In OpenSUSE I was able to get two RPMs and isntall them without fuckery with Bluetooth/USB tethering.
In Ubuntu their shit never works.
>>
Does anybody know how to recover from KDE Partition Manager freezing shifting a partition to the right?

Longer Context:
Was trying to shrink one of my partitions, accidentally clicked on it and dragged it towards the right in the kde gui by before I confirmed the operation. Hit cancel and it froze and crashed mid shift and now the partition is broken. Was trying to figure out what the exact range was by matching sectors with python scripts but there are a bunch of sectors in a row that are just blocks of some character '\xef'. Based on some of the sectors I've read my data is still fine. If it just works by moving the rightmost sectors to their new location the partition should just be segmented at some point.
>>
File: pepeblackholegirlhands.jpg (134 KB, 1000x1008)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>70560893
>>
>>70568260
Turns out the efi partition was still there but no entries for MS or subfolders so the ol rebuildbcd and fixboot didnt work.
>>
>>70569186
sorry homie best of luck
>>
File: testdisk1.png (84 KB, 965x841)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>70569612
updating with testdisk analysis of the drive
>>
File: 1494243919986.png (364 KB, 599x563)
364 KB
364 KB PNG
What's the best way to automount USBs whenever they're plugged in on raspian. Automount doesn't seem to want to work
>>
>>70570152
oh wait the package is called usbmount
>>
Every time I boot up Arch it has to run some start jobs on some network interfaces, causing my boot time to be around 90s. How do i disable this?
>>
>>70560893
how can i automatically open a terminal every time i start my computer?
>>
what Windows Manager do you use personally?
>>
>>70570402
turn off your computer with the terminal open
>>
>>70570402
never mind, i figured it out
>>
>>70570465
didn't work, but whatever>>70570523
>>
>>70570523
No fuck off I haven't figured this out yet, someone help please. Is it
systemctl disable dhcpcd@interface
?
>>
>>70570547
no, dhcpcd is for network
the best way to run an X program is to put it inside ~/.xinitrc or whatever rc your desktop manager / window manager is using
>>
>>70570695
>desktop manager
*desktop environment
>>
>>70570442
dwm
>>
>>70570547
>>70570695
sorry this post was meant for >>70570392
>>
>>70570724
Isn't it funny how we're anonymous? You can play all sorts of cool pranks.
>>
What do you do to set up your phones, /fglt/?
>>
>>70570844
I don't.
>>
Is jessie ded already? I tried to update my home server today, but i got
 Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-amd64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>>
>>70571189
always use current stable, which is stretch
>>
>>70571220
I'm too lazy to reinstall and i doubt it'll be able to update without me having to fix it for 2 weeks snd failing to do so anyway.
>>
>>70561345
if this happens largely when idling then it's a pstate-related freeze which has been a common thing for years now
you need to set intel_idle.max_cstate=1 etc
>>
>>70571189
jessie-updates is dead, but debian-security provides LTS support
>>
>>70571308
So, i need to remove jessie-updates from sources.list ans that's all?
>>
>>70571312
idk. try it, faggot
>>
>>70571308
>>70571237
lol why the fuck do you guys even bother with Debian, just use Ubuntu.
>>
>>70571370
>using corporate GNU/Linux
no
>>
>>70571370
>Amazontu
No.
>>
Is there a way to install ubuntu or any linux distro in a usb like it was a hard drive?
>>
How does one get into data science? Do I need a masters degree?
>>
>>70571370
Okay, you've talked me into it. Why do I want to use Ubuntu?
>>
Does anyone ITT have experience with Tribler? I tried it on Arch a while back, but I never got past the gears. Is that typical bugginess or was the problem on my end?
>>
Is it possible to run a not particularly purchased copy of Adobe Photoshop on linux?
I'm not familiar with how wine works, but playonlinux seems to be buyfag-oriented.
>>
>>70571824
You can always use a VM.
>>
What's the best distro for persistent live USB? I want something that works like puppy Linux where it holds changes in ram, and writes to disk at shutdown, but is not.... Puppy Linux.
>>
>>70567779
pamac?

>>70568810
opensuse is fucking shit. been shit for the past 10 years. last good release were like SUSE, when it was more enterprise based, you could buy it boxed, etc. quality really fell a looong time ago.

>>70571621
yes. easily. just pick it as 'target' during install.
make sure to buy a fast pendrive, or use an external SSD enclosure and an m2 ssd (I did this). otherwise its fucking slow.

>>70571824
Photoshop CS5 works in Wine I think... but also VMs...
>>
>>70571860
you can make your own with debian live-wrapper
>>
Is there a viable alternative to Firefox yet? This is starting to feel like using VLC.
>>
>>70572049
Falkon is becoming very good, they even added vertically tabs support.
>>
>>70571941
Cannot find any docs on live-wrapper, could you link me?
>>
>>70572049
Vivaldi? you can even use Chromium forks like SRWare Iron if you are such a hardcore metal rebel!!!11
>>
>>70572049
GNU IceCat
>>
Asking this here too.
Does anyone know of any tiling WM where each split is it's own, preferably named, workspace/container?

So you can for example keep a window to the left then to the right of it you have N amount of windows and you switch the entire right side to something else, keeping the left. And the old right side you can later access again, maybe by name.

If nothing like this exist, which WM would be most appropriate to modify to make this happen?
>>
>>70572180
that sounds so complicated I didn't even comprehend, but "awesome" can be customized to insane depths, so I would look into that.

i3 is more of a simple, ootb tiling wm. and the rest is too, focus on simplicity. I mean, as simple tiling wm can get.
>>
>>70565072
There is literally zero reason why self-compiled Linux would be old or only able to run on old hardware. If you seriously thought that was a possibility I suggest you stop.
>>
>>70565446
Tilix or Konsole
>>
Stop using unrar.
Start using unar.
>>
>>70572391
> macfag shit
just use 7z then
>>
>>70572397
You seem to be confused. Unarchiver is available in many distros, and unlike unrar, it's 100% FLOSS and supports most rar formats./
https://packages.debian.org/sid/unar
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/unarchiver/
https://bitbucket.org/kosovan/theunarchiver
>>
>>70571888
>opensuse is fucking shit.
Not really, there are much more shtitier mainstream distros.

How the fuck networkmanager works?
>>
>>70572449
yea and you go here:
https://theunarchiver.com/

> macfag site
> "MacPaw software"
> 100% for profit company

No. Thank you. I'll side with Igor Pavlov on this one.
>>
>>70572449
8 year old news https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/free-rarv3-extraction
i guess everyone switched already senpai
>>
>>70572294
thanks I'll look into it
>>
>>70572180
Stumpwm manages frames and windows separately.
In practise it means that you can pull any window in a group (a workspace in other WMs) into any frame in the group. If you had two frames and three windows in a group, you'd have two windows visible and could pull the hidden one to either of the frames.
But at the same time, a frame can't contain additional frames, so you won't be able to pull a split of two windows into a frame.

It's honestly not the most brilliant window manager but it's written in common lisp so if you're familiar with that it's easy to hack live.
>>
>>70572466
>rejecting software because it runs on macOS too
High level autism.
>>
>>70572506
the whole site reeks of capitalism.
the typical macfag software that I despise. where a fucking screen ruler costs 15$ because it looks "polished". disgusting filth.

also:
> unrar-free on Ubuntu 18.04
> man unrar
> AUTHORS
> unrar-free was written by Ben Asselstine based on UniquE RAR File
> Library by Christian Scheurer and Johannes Winkelmann.

There ya go!
>>
>>70572515
>Christian Scheurer and Johannes Winkelmann
Seems they recommend the unarchiver: http://www.unrarlib.org/faq.html
There ya go.
>>
>>70572504
that sounds like a step in the right direction, thanks
>>
is snap better for installing apps on ubuntu? or should i stick with apt?
>>
>>70572719
they are different. snap is like every dependency in one package. apt installs them like a regular Linux package. they are just different.

snap allows you to have like the latest SMPlayer without installing the dependencies. on paper. just use whichever fits your current need.
>>
>>70567389
maybe i should try some old drivers or something?
>>
>>70572758
Ehh.. not exactly. Are you sure your Nvidia proprietary drivers are working okay? Like are they loaded properly and all that?

The performance of SLI also depends on games. Not just in Linux/BSD, but in general. So it's possible some games will run even worse than before. I remember looking into SLI extensively because there was a Lenovo with SLI 760M or something (I can't even remember) and basically they said that most games need an SLI profile, and even then they can glitch the fuck out, they can have perf issues, etc.

it's not so straightforward.
Vulkan/DX12's multi gpu might be the way forward. I know, it's a new tech, and not many games support it... just saying that it's the "future".
>>
Never use snaps, flatpacks, appimages. Use your package manager. .exe fags GTFO
>>
>>70572809
>Linux/BSD
what's this
>>
>>70572995
UNIX
>>
>>70573003
MacOS?
>>
>>70572995
>>70573003
>>70573021
linux
>>
File: 1554837026538.jpg (61 KB, 720x960)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>70573071
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>70568810
Anyone?
How the fuck network manager works and how do I reset it.
>>
>>70573181
nmcli c
to list
nmcli c delete <con-name>
to delete
nmcli d wifi
to list available wifi
nmcli d wifi connect <ssid> password <pass>

nmcli c up <con-name>
to bring it up
nmcli c down <con-name>
to bring it down
>>
>>70573335
Ok, I will try this.
But in mean Time, I will fuck around with wicked
>>
>>70573627
It should be better than red hat diversityware. To bad it doesn't have a guide frontend yet
>>
is PS2 emulation just plain shit on linux, or should i keep bashing my little brainlet head against this wall until something works?
>>
Chrome take 3-4 seconds to renders a tab. I am in arch. It never happened din windows 10. What to do?
>>
>>70574023
Stop using chrome, it's a horrible botnet.
>>
>>70574253
b-b-but i like it. I am using it for years.
>>
>>70574023
get a better hardware
>>
>>70574304
That is definitely not the problem. The issue do not appear in windows 10 or using other browsers.
>>
File: 1483491603246.jpg (450 KB, 1000x900)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
i'm getting a headache from this. please spoonfeed me
i can launch polybar just fine from terminal with "polybar example" and if i execute launch.sh, it opens too but it just won't open on boot. i've got this in my i3 config file
exec_always --no-startup-id $HOME/.config/polybar/launch.sh
the path is correct i think
please
>>
I have an issue with i3. I just installed a fresh Debian install and if I try MOD+D to run dmenu it shows up normally but the second I try to type anything in it vanishes. any ideas?
>>
>>70574023
>Chrome
Remove ASAP.
>>
>>70561313
>so happy she managed to install it
Image:
>Boot the Arch Linux (x86_64) live medium.
>It allows you to install Arch Linux or perform system maintenance.
>>
>>70572449
>>70572391
.rar is proprietary, so using archiver other than unrar is retarded and sometimes resulting in corrupted files
also there's this thing called bsdtar that supports .7z, .rar, .zip, .tar.* and more POSIX
>FLOSS
why would you use linux if you hate free software? fuck off
>>
is there a way to disable the xfce compositor when i start a steam game and automatically reactivate it when i close it?
>>
>>70575371
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/b31ko2/psa_dont_forget_to_turn_off_compositing/eiwhuxd?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
>>
>>70575402
thanks friendo
>>
>>70575508
NP. Was a 2 second search in DDG, though.
>>
>>70575339
Unable to read and think, the post.
>>
>>70575339
but anon, linux is not free software
>>
in my opinion, in the future GuixSD should become THE default Gnu/Linux and should be called just "Linux OS", and I mean called legally - the official representative of the FOSS ecosystem.
>>
>>70576150
no
>>
>>70572391
wat
>>
>>70576192
Why? Start explaining right now or I'll kill you.
>>
>>70572149
isn't it the same firefox with different logo
>>
>>70576225
Linux is a kernel.
"Linux" is a trademark owned by Linus Torvalds.
FOSS is not an ecosystem.
>>
>>70576250
Yes, but with spyware removed and privacy added.
>>
Dears,

Linus Torvalds has written in the last days about a unified Linux system. I agree.

The glory of Linux is that today we have a free and opensource system, good software portfolio (of all sort) and a prolific community of contributors.

Nonetheless, we are understimating what the time can do in a project of any kind. We are observing the increasing number of new distros (many of them, last a short life). So, we have all of this fragmented potential.

We have a single kernel to Linux. Why not to increase the layer of integration to allow the users have a custom experience instead of have custom distros.

Actually, except some package managers and some single specific behaviours, there is no huge difference between distros. The Window managers can be used in all of them, so you put the face that you want.

What is missing to the owners of the distros "release the bones" and give the hands together to build the most awesome desktop experience that the world has ever have?
>>
>>70576250
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Gnuzilla#Differences_between_IceCat_and_Firefox_ESR
>>
File: Download.jpg (6 KB, 247x204)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
What do I lose when I switch from GNU/Coreutils to Toybox?
>>
>>70576317
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>70576332
Features
>>
>>70576346
Which ones?
Only things I use are basic folder operations, grep, sed and wc.
Will those be gimped?
>>
>>70576150
putting together a free kernel and free userland was all part of GNU project, so they're the one to decide what to call the operating system which is GNU/Linux
linus torvalds only made the kernel so he has no rights
>>
>>70576358
Very basic things work just fine, but there's also many things missing. The list is just too large and i guess nobody actually made one. I guess you're fine with basic rm,mv,cp,etc.
Don't forget that things like busybox and toybox are meant to be like that; a multi binary, sharing functions stripped down to very basic features to gain a small file size. I wouldn't use them for daily driving.
>>
>>70564911
>I'm literally retarded: the post
>>
>>70576332
some scripts that (often unknowingly) depend on non-standard gnu extensions to those tools might stop working
bash being /bin/sh on most systems presents a similar problem: people write scripts that use non-standard bash syntax with the standard /bin/sh shebang and don't see a problem because it works on their machine
embraced and gnupilled
>>
>>70576489
Thanks.
Yeah, I've met a couple scripts that didn't behave with dash as login shell.

>>70576466
Thanks.
>>
>>70571370
>I'm a tripfag, please notice me senpai

>>70571237
I've literally upgraded a productive server from wheezy to jessie to stretch, willingfully ignoring the release notes and it literally just werks.
>>
>>70576489
>non standard
Close your mouth, it reeks of reddit
>>
>>70576546
i should've said proprietary instead
>>
>>70572080
I dicked around with suckless surf for a while, but eventually I went with this.
>>
File: 1555361617513.jpg (35 KB, 554x530)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>70560893
i cant get middle button trackpoint scrolling on my t440p on anything other than ubuntu. i wanna use mx linux tho so if anyone knows some fix that would be great
>>
File: IMG_20190416_205031.jpg (90 KB, 471x877)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>70560893
This meme was brought to you by @nixcraft
I stole it from twitter, hehe
>>
>>70576816
nixcraft never lets my interjection comments through :(
>>
ok I broke something

changed shell to fish
didn't like it
changed shell back to bash with sudo chsh -s /bin/bash

sudo pacman -R fish

now I just get the blinking cursor can't exit tty
boots into grub
>>
>>70576943
kek
>>
>>70576950
Should have read the ArchWiki. It warns.
>>
>>70576950
Check /etc/passwd and search/replace fish with bash.
>>
File: 1419535239793.png (1.08 MB, 1098x1645)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
Have 2x2048 MiB DIMMs. Actual usuable memory is just 3.61 GiB. Dmesg shows:
>Memory: 3651568K/3931428K available
3931428K is less than 4GiB. So not only is my memory being stolen, the kernel doesn't even report the full 4 GiB as a total. How can I fix this?
>>
>>70577172
How do i do that if i have blinking cursor
>>
>>70577188
Live USB, but no idea what you mean by "blinking cursor". Is this after you login to tty? If you haven't disabled root login, try logging in as root which should still have the default shell
>>
>>70577215
i can't login it is right after grub screen
>>
>>70577188
Have you tried jacking in to the matrix?
>>
>>70577188
>>70577230
At the grub menu select any option like "recovery mode".
If you don't have that then press e to edit the boot options and change the line that starts with "linux" to just "linux init=/bin/bash"
that should give you a root shell
>>
SuperTuxKart is unironically a pretty good game. Any other recs? Lierolibre is also awesome.
>>
>>70577414
Red Eclipse
>>
Ultra160 SCSI is 160Mbit (20MB/s) max right? I'm trying to work out if it's my NAS or SCSI card starving the tape drive of data and making it write slow. The transfer speeds caps out at 23MB/s so it sounds about right.
>>
WHY THE FUCK I CAN'T CAUSE WIFI GLITCH AGAIN? WHY IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I NEED INTERNET IMMEDIATLY?
WHY RED HAT MAKES SUCH SHITTY SOFTWARE?
>>
how do i change the fallback icon theme on xubuntu?
>>
File: 1524005607714.png (27 KB, 1555x70)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
Just installed Manjaro last night, and I'm honestly kind of floored. Is there really no way to change number of lines scrolled without some crazy workaround? I was already a bit frustrated by the lack of "autoscrolling" by clicking the middle mouse button, but I could live without it if scrolling did more than three lines at a time. I can barely browse 4chan properly like this.
>>
>>70578664
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox#Smooth_Scrolling
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox#Middle-click_behavior
>>
>>70579172
Unfortunately, I'm using Chromium. On top of that, this is a system-wide concern, not just my browser. I did find a plugin for Chromium which helps, but it's still a pain for other programs with lots of text (IRC, long documents, etc.). Thank you regardless.
>>
>>70560893
Why do so many Linux Distros make 4chan such an eye sore to look at and read? Can't Tell if it's the font render-er or what.
Any Distros that don't do this? Manjaro seems to be the top offender of this so far.
>>
>>70579571
screenshot?
you don't have to switch distros for a g*ddamn setting
>>
>>70579610
Regardless of zoom level, it just doesn't look "Right" and it annoys me because otherwise (as the other Anon said) lack of middle mouse scrolling is irritating but I can live with that and enjoy the experience just my eyes don't seem to like this which is really irritating as I love everything else so far. (Also might switch back to XFCE as KDE might not be my thing, or i3 even.)
https://i.imgur.com/BzuDp9L.png
>>
>>70579610
>>70579641
That's odd, on the browser itself it looks a lot more blurry and fuzzy than the screenshot, that's really odd.
>>
Super noob question here. Besides the cynism towards Canonical and probably more up to date packages, is there anything else that sets Ubuntu apart from Debian? Like, I know Mint puts minttools and stuff over Ubuntu, but I'm not sure what Ubuntu puts on top of Debian.
>>
File: no rgb bits.png (9 KB, 1428x164)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>70579641
look for a way to enable subpixel antialiasing

some distros disable it by default because of patent concerns (fedora's build of freetype didn't even have it compiled in when i last used it)
>>
Which DE on Debian 10 is best for gaming with Wine?
>>
>>70579815
Really, it doesn't matter. So I'd say that the only criteria would be to have the lowest CPU/Memory usage.
So ironically the answer would be to have no DE, only a WM.
>>
>>70575193
I can`t. I am too dependent on its extensions.
>>
>>70579704
I haven't run Debian in a long time, but I would mention the installer. Ubuntu installer is second-to-none, and that potentially impacts the whole experience a lot.
>>
so I did some experimenting with the network managers. After finding out that doing a fucking ifconfig wlan0 down using nmcli causes the default gateway to disappear I need a new network manager.

I'm going to assume that I can use any of the following but which is easiest to automate?
>connman
>netcli
>wicd
>>
>>70573181
oh shit what do you need to know and what network type are you trying to connect to? If you give me the parameters I can give you the commands you need to enter in.
>>
>>70563733
Ubuntu MATE
>>
I'm currently triple-booting Kubuntu, Kali, and Arch on my laptop. Kubuntu and Kali both apparently have grub files. Upon reboot, it used to bring up the Kali grub, but since I updated Kubuntu my grub has been replaced with the Kubuntu grub file. How do I switch back to Kali grub on boot, and how can I remove the Kubuntu grub so this doesn't happen again? Changing boot flags for partitions in GParted does nothing.
>>
>>70581352
Literally why
>>
>>70560893
I love it when this pic triggers the incels
>>
>>70581352
maybe run update-grub from within kali?
>>
>>70581172
I guess that's also a thing, but it slip out of my radar considering Debian's installer worked without a hitch for me and I generally don't spend a lot of time on the installers. I'm still curious if there's any major difference between them, considering that Ubuntu-based Mint and LMDE are separate offerings.
>>
>>70581453
first thing I tried, unfortunately didn't work, even after swapping the boot flag to the Kali partition
>>
>>70581483
maybe uninstall/purge grub in kali then reinstall/reconfigure it in kali
>>
File: 1451413810036.jpg (32 KB, 460x345)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>70581352
>I'm currently triple-booting Kubuntu, Kali, and Arch on my laptop.
>>
>>70581381
>>70581559
explain what exactly is wrong with this setup
>Kubuntu for general browsing/streaming, netflix & chill w gf
>Kali for work because pentesting
>Arch for programming work
it just werks.
>>
>>70581630
That's a stupid amount of spaghetti just to run more linux.
>>
>>70581630
Because you could do everything on one system. Having three oses for that is an ugly and cumbersome solution. ( if you really need specific features of Kali you could just run it in a VM )
>>
how do I create a persistent linux image in an external ssd, so I can use linux at work instead of windows like the hackerman I am?
>>
>>70581630
install blackarch faggot
>>
i dual boot moebuntu for my anime needs
>>
>>70581722
>VM
no no I hate the latency/lag that comes with VM's. I prefer the OS to run seamlessly. Also helps with workflow, to only have what I need
>>
File: 1555359283172.jpg (933 KB, 1600x1200)
933 KB
933 KB JPG
I am loosing about 1% battery/hour when deep hibernating in arch.
Can it be due to not having any swap partition? I have 16gb RAM.

Is it normal to loose battery on hibernation?
>>
>>70581859
>workflow
>rebooting to another os
lol.
>>
>>70560893
Can't find the hacker threads so i'll ask this here.

Is it possible to reverse engineer self-modifying code. As in, code that under execution changes such that if i decompiled the binary it would give me a different source code from the original.
>>
>>70562873
Is protonmail a good "secure" email?
>>
>>70581880
yes. rebooting takes literally seconds and after that I'm good to go.

>>70581867
>Is it normal to loose battery on hibernation?
not really. if you don't have a swap partition or file on your OS then either you're basically rebooting your computer or you're not really hibernating. Your swap should be equal to or greater than your RAM if you want to hibernate. Create the file/partition, add to fstab, swapon --all, carry on
>>
>>70581867
Its normal in suspension but if its happening in hybernation then i think you should get the battery checked for power leakage and possibly replace it.
>>
>>70567431
Honestly, just choose something simple like mint or ubuntu. Ive used linux for a while now and still use ubuntu. It just werks
>>
>>70581975
Can i create a swap partition after the installation without loosing any file?
>>
>>70581807
You just
install it to the hdd
>>
>>70581859
>latency/lag
That hasn't been a thing in VMs unless you have a very weak machine or hardware virtualization disabled
How do you think Qubes OS gets away with running everything in VMs?
What about the lag of rebooting to switch systems, doesn't that bother you?
> OS to run seamlessly
What the fuck does that mean. You know you can run VMs in full screen without any interruptions, the same as just booting into it. If that's what you mean by seamless. And that's only if you really need a different distro, kubuntu has all the same packages arch does and could do everything arch can and vice versa. The same maybe true for kali, although I'm not sure.
>Also helps with workflow, to only have what I need
If you actually knew anything about Linux you'd know you can achieve that on one system even without VMs, just by making a separate user account for work that has unnecessary programs blocked. Also maybe if you did a minimal install you wouldn't have so much bloat in the first place, my machine only has around 20-25 applications installed not including the DE and all its dependencies.
>>
>>70581989
yes you can. open a partition manager like GParted (on a live USB if you don't have any other partitions) and resize your main partition. take 16GB+ from the "end" of your main partition, that will become unallocated space, which you can then format as linux-swap.
>>
>>70582009
but won't it try to install a bunch of drivers that are particular to that machine? what about grub?
It is an external ssd, I would like to boot it from any computer without problems
>>
>>70582041
Thank you!
>>
>>70581955
>if i decompiled the binary it would give me a different source code
Eh. It's almost always going to be different than the original source code. Now if it actually DOES something different than the original then your 'decompiler' is broken.
>>
>>70582047
Most drivers are inside Linux (the kernel). You won't necessarily have the best of the best (like with Nvidia and it's proprietaries) but it'll still work and fall back to mesa drivers or whatever.
As for GRUB, put it on the ssd too. Install it entirely the same way as you would if you were using it as your main install.

GRUB (or any other bootloader) runs off of whichever disk has boot priority. So you don't technically need it IF you put entries in your existing bootloaders on all machines you want to use the SSD on to look for the SSD. So when the BIOS starts up the bootloader from that disk you can point to the install on your portable ssd.
However, if you want to be able to run the portable OS on any machine, even ones that don't have their own bootloaders specifically set up to look for your ssd then you'll want GRUB on the ssd, because then you just have to tell the BIOS to give the ssd boot priority and it'll work.
>>
Ok so how the fuck do i use wicd cli?

I can connect to the network and itll say done but im assuming its not passing in a password.

Is this the correct thing for wpa-eap
sudo wicd-cli --wireless -n # -p "password"
>>
How do people keep up to date with so many IRC channels with countless messages flooding in?
>>
Do you use any program for whatsapp in linux or just the browser?
>>
>>70582351
They don't. They read them as time and interest allows. Also, they use clients which highlight any line where their name is called out. Also, IRC chats are often archived for later perusal on the web.
>>
>>70582594
I got about 24 channels open at freenode at the moment which is why I was wondering.
>>
>>70582606
Ah ok. I have 4 channels open now but average 1-2 channels. Channels with no one responding to good questions for days are pretty worthless, and channels with too broad an interest and endless spam are worthless too.
>>
>>70581956
Tutanota
>>
File: 1539943677093.png (103 KB, 256x256)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
I have waterfox-kde installed but it does not use the kde file picker? Yet the firefox-opensuse kde build actually uses the file picker? the fuck is going on
>>
>>70582606
My current solution is to just use the emacs matrix client.
Matrix has bridges to IRC, and the emacs client has a buffer that shows messages from all rooms at once (and shows which room the message was from in front of the username)
>>
>>70576377
>linus torvalds only made the kernel so he has no rights
>The Linux trademark is owned by Linus Torvalds in the U.S.,[2] Germany, the E.U., and Japan for "Computer operating system software to facilitate computer use and operation".
>>
>>70582408
>whatsapp
I don't even know what it is
can it run in Lynx?
>>
File: flake8.jpg (23 KB, 533x224)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I feel like the biggest retard.
Can someone help me 'track' whatever the fuck I did on my computer?

I was trying to get the Vim Syntastic plugin to work on my nvim. And the readme says that for Python, Flake8 needs to be installed in my $PATH.

So I use a folder called .scripts and that is exactly what I have on my bash_profile:

export set PATH=$PATH:~/.scripts/

So I did SOMETHING to install flake8 on my computer and I deliberately, copied the 'flake8', 'pycodestyle' and 'pyflakes' executables to my .scripts folder. They're colored green and Syntastic works as expected when opening a Python file.

The thing is, I have no idea where I got those files from. Pic related is the contents of 'flake8' inside my $PATH (.scripts) folder; but I can't find that file anywhere in the flake8 gitlab (https://gitlab.com/pycqa/flake8).

So, as a complete retard. I have no idea whatsoever about what I did. I don't know if I installed Flake8 from the AUR (yay says Flake8 is not instaled) and pip says
Requirement already satisfied: flake8 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages (3.7.7)

I have no idea what I did but I just want to know.
>>
Hello. I need to know whether the generic Linux-Libre kernel is low-latency out of the box. Because when you try to get the low-latency kernel, it tries to install certain parts that are not compatible with Linux-Libre.
>>
File: scriptsscreenshot.jpg (29 KB, 1120x194)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>70584419
Here's a screenshot of my .scripts folder.
>>
>>70584439
>>70584419
The thing is, I did that process like a week ago.
I remember being very deliberate about it and being satisfied when everything worked out right.

Right now I tried to do something similar and I tried to remember the process I followed with flake8 and Syntastic and for the life of me, I can't remember what the hell I did.

>inb4 you're retarded
Yes I know
>>
>>70560893

Gnome and tracker. I can find strings inside every kind of file (pdf, doc, mails etc.) from the file manager. Is there another indexer built into the file manager that does the same thing using xfce?
>>
>>70584454
I say keep using your computer. As long as it works. If you ever need to configure that shit again, like in a new computer, you'll just find the way.
>>
>>70576150
>Gnu/Linux
I use chakra, no gnu here :^)
>>
>>70567654
Hi, was going to try fedora after not touching linux since probably fedora 13, any good reason to use the ones you listed instead ?
>>
Can't open some SVG image files, svg editor says "argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: index"
>>
>>70565964
kde connect bro
>>
>>70584494
it doesn't matter because it's not a next-generation system.
>>
>>70564069
Teflon as in all criticism of him didn't stick
>>
>>70584519
what does gnostic christianity have to do with any of it
>>
So, do you guys run the same Distro/DE on all your linux machines for constancy or run a little bit of everything?

Personally i'm in the former.
>>
>>70576266
>Linux is a kernel
>immediately contradicts himself: "Linux" is a trademark
>FOSS is not an ecosystem.
it can be called "Linux ecosystem" or "Unix-like os ecosystem", it's not important, it's a very particular thing anyway, and you know exactly what I'm talking about, quit pretending to be semantically idiotic.
>>
How do I make all the toybox/BusyBox commands top level?

For example in coreutils you just go "rm", but with toybox you have to "toybox rm".

Is there a way to make it behave like coreutils's commands?
>>
>>70584605
Busybox does this with lots of hard links.
>>
>>70584419
pip installed it in your ~
>>
new thread >>70585202
>>
>>70585215
did this really get deleted because it had a fucking bulge on it? the fucking state of this website.
>>
>>70585494
Make new one already
>>
New >>70585555
>>
>>70584555
retard
>>
>>70584357
Yes, Linus made the kernel called Linux and trademarked it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.