[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: laine.jpg (450 KB, 1600x900)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
Home server thread
new thread since the old one died. do better

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
https://old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
https://www.labgopher.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (1001 KB, 2186x1956)
1001 KB
1001 KB JPG
Pi cluster is alive again - add docker etc. tomorrow.
>>
>>70533735
I struggled with that issue as well, though at first with Plex and then with Emby instead of Kodi. Ultimately the conclusion I had to accept was that shit downloaded from all kinds of places and all kinds of release groups ultimately comes in too many sorts of naming schemes and I'd never get seamless, correct identification which "just worked".

After realizing that, the conclusion is to obviously rename things in such a way that any program can identify them and place them in nicely named and organized directories. The problem with that is of course if you still want to seed torrents for some of those things, so what I did instead was make symlinks in a different folder. Everything is downloaded into my generic torrents folder and then symlinked with different names in a clean, nicely organized directory for Emby to scan. It works very well and everything is picked up seamlessly.

In order to make the symlinks easier to create, I wrote a script which creates them on a per-season basis, so I just run that script whenever I download a season of something and it creates nicely named symlinks. For shows which are currently airing I made another script and configured rtorrent to call it after it finishes downloading a torrent. That script matches the name of the downloaded file against a list of rules and then symlinks it in accordance to that rule, so airing shows in my case are automatically downloaded via RSS and then symlinked into the Emby library where they pop up automatically, ready for viewing.
>>
Any good recommendations for de centralizing my pdf library? I see you can do hosting for ebook formats but I'm unsure of pdf.
>>
>>70541726
what are you looking for? if it's search and a nice centralized ui to access them from, I'd rec ambar
>>
>>70541755
I can do that with SAMBA, ultimately the ability to view over a web interface without having to download would be nice.

I'm also wondering if I can find a system that let's me scan isbn and automatically look up the information and input it into a database for my physical books.
>>
What I ordered this week
>8 core dell server
>8x raspberry pi cluster
>48tb NAS
>router and switch
>pc and laptop
>network lab package
>hardware, cables, etc.
>>
>>70541865
Very nice. Although I don't get the rpis, why bother running 8 of them instead of 2 rock64pro or 1 x86_64?
>>
>>70541901
Just for fun, I want to build a network-centric application that uses distributed computing. Also to practice automation.
>>
>>70541783
Calibre Web?
>>
>>70541934
I really would have suggested to avoid the RPis, but since you already ordered... eh, have "fun" with the little suckers.
>>
How to keep my Orange PI from burning down the house for being 5000 degrees while I'm away from my base? How to boot it up when I'm not there?
>>
>>70542220
wake on lan/magic packets
>>
>>70542159
What's bad about rpi? It's cheaper than Rock64pro.
>>
>>70542121
Maybe.
>>
>>70542308
Slow chip that additionally throttles horribly particularly when passively cooled, 1GB vs 4GB RAM, crappy ethernet controller that runs on a slow USB controller (so if you run storage on a RPi, you can generally expect to get less than 30MB/s), and some more flaws.
>>
>>70542159
It’s not for serious development, just getting started out. But if you know more about cluster platforms I’m listening.
>>
How do I make my qbittorent save file to my nas? It seems like I'm having permission problem. Anyone here who did something like this?
>>
>>70543037
Solved it. I needed to set uid when mountin samba.
>>
File: keith_secola-2.jpg (20 KB, 322x398)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>70541865
What network lab equipment did you get fampai?
>>
File: 1530028396945.gif (1009 KB, 500x280)
1009 KB
1009 KB GIF
Ok so I have an old r610 that has Windows Server 2016 on it that literally only does DHCP and Plex. I want to really experiment around with it some more, but I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. Any ideas? I've already got old enterprise grade networking gear so that's already taken care of.
>>
>>70543746
Maybe some of these are interesting?
https://www.linuxserver.io/our-images

Or perhaps you can automate something like backups. Personally, I'd do none of this on Windows however.
>>
>>70540136
use filebot to automatically rename and organize your downloads
https://www.filebot.net/

you can run it as a daemon that checks your download directory and it'll do everything automatically
>>
>>70539017
me in my house
>>
Who here have ordered Rock64? How long does standard shipping takes?
>>
>>70543746
Same server here! 2.5 in or 3.5?
I'd suggest setting up a baremetal hypervisor with either hyper-v core, proxmox, or esxi.

I have esxi running with 2 lans via pfsense and several Windows/Linux vm's for dedicated purposes: one is daily driver I RDP into from some old Pentium laptop, another runs plex, and another is used for torrenting. I also run pi hole on this lan.

On the other lan, I run a docker host for a nextcloud, bitwarden, and docuwiki.

I think I might put my nas to rest and use the r610 to host open media vault.

So yeah...you can do a lot.
>>
>>70543991
I don't want to rename and move my downloads, I want to keep them with their original names for seeding. That's the whole point of using symlinks.
>>
File: Psg1_dmg.png (348 KB, 1024x1024)
348 KB
348 KB PNG
>>70544106
2.5 as I had a lot of 2.5 inch HDD's laying around when i was in the market. I messed around with esxi but stopped at some point. I'll have to look into getting some vm's spun up again.
>>
>>70539017
what is the purpose of flashing to IT mode, I have been running h200 HBA's for years and have never noticed any diff between stock and IT flashed as far as ZFS is concerned.
>>
File: hsg.png (23 KB, 571x684)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
sup fags
>>
>>70544440
what is worng with the font
also shitty performance/watt CPU and why have 16gb of RAM if you only use 460mb?
>>
File: Walken-Cowbell.jpg (21 KB, 390x292)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>70544554
>why have 16gb of RAM if you only use 460mb?
It is better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.
>>
>>70544738
uhm not at such high levels, you are wasting electricity and fucking with RAM prices, i could get behind you having 4gb and using 400mb but having 16gb is just selfish.
>>
>>70544554
>what is worng with the font
no subpixel antialiasing, light hinting
>>
WHY IS THE HOME SERVER GENERAL DYING NOOO DONT LET THIS HAPPEN, anyways i put together a low power pc to host a website but ended up with no money to pay for the domain so now i host a Minecraft server where i play with my friend, pretty comfy desu
>>
>>70540136
thanks thats not a bad idea, i might go for a symlink scheme too
>>
Any ideas for scanning ISBN, automatically scraping the info into a databases and then viewing it?
>>
>>70544984
anyways, the low power pc specs are:
MOBO: Mini ITX asrock, 1gbit eth, SODIMM

RAM, 1 PCI port, soldered CPU, p good for my use case.

CPU: Celeron J3355, awesome and just 10w TDP, so it can be passive cooled to have a 0db server, can host up to 20 players in Spigot, maybe a little more.

RAM: 4GB kinda overkill for that cpu, counting the OS RAM usage i could hos up to 30 players with this ammount, but the CPU is a limiting factor, still i built this PC with the plan to host a website and that uses way more ram and less CPU power.

HDD: some pos 320Gb samsung HDD i took out of an old PC, want to upgrade to a 120gb SSD + 2tb HDD and take the PSU fan out for an almost silent PC.
>>
>>70545149
meant to be together:
MOBO: Mini ITX asrock, 1gbit eth, SODIMM
RAM, 1 PCI port, soldered CPU, p good for my use case.*
>>
>>70544804
His system is an OpenBSD with 4 hours uptime. That is typical RAM usage for that OS. 108 days later it may have over half of that cached & buffered depending on what is being done. At 1.9GGHz, user is not exactly ripping a hole in the ozone layer... The A88XM-E is a DDR3 board, and DDR3 is easily scavenged anyway. The host may have been built as a mid to upper level gaming PC to begin with.

I am posting from:
'SOPine-A64-Rev C / SOPine Baseboard Model A Rev B
Installed: Wed Nov 21 01:35:50 2018
XXXXXXXX 4.20.0-1-ARCH aarch64 GNU/Linux
-----memory----------
free buff cache
1162380 37368 7002840
because technically, I feel the same way you do.
>>
>>70545342
i get what you say but still im all for "use what you need" my server uses 3.2/3.6 gb of ram so i have 4gb uwu
>>
>>70544435
it's so you can use JBOD rather than a bunch of raid0's
>>
>>70544554

I have 96GB of ram on a r710
>>
>>70541865
4x rock64pro would be a lot better and i hope the NAS is 24tb x2 in raid 1 or 96tb / 2 in raid 1.
>>
>>70539210
how do you do this? i would like to have a pi cluster but there isnt a lot of information around, which programs? tutorials? pls sir help me
>>
>>70545403
cool(? i never said its bad to have a lot of ram but its selfish to have a lot and not use it.
>>
>>70545442
>selfish to have a lot and not use it
i assume im entitled to borrow your car whenever i please as long as you arent currently using it then? fuck off faggot.
>>
>>70545458
what, i never said i could use your ram, but yeah producing a car or letting a car running 24/7 with no purpose is selfish.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg (123 KB, 1000x717)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>70545462
>>
>>70545563
>literally putting politics in a conversation about moral values

im an anarco capitalist btw
>>
If I have a media PC running GNU/Linux, that is directly connected to speakers and to my LAN, what music program can I use to make that PC play music while being controlled by android phone or another PC in the LAN?

I read OP's post, and I don't think ampache helps me fulfill this task...
>>
>>70545681
try hosting a local website in the server with your music with music controls and when you want to change music or control volume just enter the website and do it.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (345 KB, 977x996)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>>70545419
poke around a little harder, there is actually quite a bit of info about pi clustering - search for stuff like brambles, dockers swarm etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSpfWP-Fgjc
>>
>>70540136
Or you know, run pymedusa, check anime on the show's settings page, use hardlinks and if needed use jackett if you have many sources.
>>
>>70543991
You still have to babysit it to make sure it's matching things correctly.
>>70544159
Filebot has a symlinks option
>>
>>70542159
>I really would have suggested to avoid the RPis, but since you already ordered... eh, have "fun" with the little suckers.
Sentences like this one are the reason why you don't have any friends.
>>
>>70546148
>>70542159
>>I really would have suggested to avoid the RPis, but since you already ordered... eh, have "fun" with the little suckers.
>Sentences like this one are the reason why you don't have any friends.
"You didn't ask me, but I know better than you, so have a preemptive 'I told you so' anyway!"
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (293 KB, 1080x1920)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
anything new recently in terms of distributed storage or is cephs/gluster still the way to go?
>>
good morning /hsg/
just installed a fan and a cheap lian li pt-fn07 fan controller to cool my disks because i noticed they were going slightly warmer than my comfort during snapraid diff and sync (about 50-56C) hopefully it will be cooler next time
also company bonus and tax returns are coming soon so i will be able to afford more drives
>>
What is a good, hopefully inexpensive, option for a DIY Kodi media player box?

I see a lot of android based ones but I want to do a proper x86_64 Linux - should I go mini-ATX or try some kind of SoC board (Intel Atom or something)?

I'd like hardware acceleration for media codecs, I have an ancient laptop I was thinking of using but it only has 128mb VRAM and can't play modern videos without a lot of stuttering.
>>
>>70547366
i would honestly suggest you look at libreelec supported devices
https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/
cpu:s like rockchip rk3399/rk3328/etc are really good for media and will likely both perform equally and draw much less power than an atom based system, rk3399 for example has a native 10-bit pipeline so 10-bit anime is fully supported
>>
>>70539210
I like the idea of pi clusters, docker, kubernetes, but I have no clue what I'd do with that. What do you use it for?
>>
>>70545409
>i hope the NAS is 24tb x2 in raid 1 or 96tb / 2 in raid 1
What would be the point of that? RAID 1 is still not a backup and RAID 6 is cheaper for practically the same result.
>>
>>70540136
I use tvnamer.
>>
>>70543037
>>70543112
I really wouldn't do that because qbittorrent will throw a bunch of errors whenever the share is not mounted and you will have to force recheck everything. Just install qbittorrent-nox on your NAS and use the web-UI.
>>
>>70547463
I'll look around at rockchip options, this https://www.pakronics.com.au/products/rock960-board-based-on-the-rk3399-soc-4gb-ram-version-ss102110159 seems reasonable but it's out of stock atm.
>>
Might do a comfy homeserver.
What's a good case that can accomodate a lot of hdds inside?
>>
>>70548517
im using a define r5
fractal design has good accessories for adding more hdd racks
>>
>>70546392
Ceph is still the biggest thing.

Gluster... no thanks. I'd prefer Lizard/Moose/Seaweed FS and such even if I wanted sonething other than Ceph.
>>
>>70547567
I don't know what you'd actually use pi clusters for.

But docker/kubernetes is mostly used to make running software (many times?) easier.
>>
>>70547366
If you want x86_64 and easy get a Chinese HTCP box that runs Windows for $100-150 off some >>>/g/csg/ store, they generally have pentium atom and such.
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (505 KB, 878x1116)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
>>70549431
yeah, gluster is not playing nice at all - no idea how it wants dns handled, seems very picky

I'll have a squiz at ceph after dinner
>>
>>70546148
>>70546168
I'm not here to make friends, but to discuss technology. That includes people pointing out when something sucks.

Feel free to return to your social network circle jerk.
>>
>>70549531
Ceph is very powerful, but you'll quite possibly have trouble with it being complex and not yet very mature/stable.

Even if you only use the more basic features and orchestrate (rook.io), you likely still have a whole lot of issues.
>>
>>70549642
aye, from what I was reading it seems more suited for use with kubernates than swarm - i'll give it a look see all the same.
>>
>>70549658
As far as I can tell it works the same with docker swarm and on bare metal.

It's probably just that many ceph deployments are larger and preferred to use k8s or have admins that are more familiar with k8s. Docker swarm/compose was pretty damn useless for handling a lot of servers in the past.
>>
any ddr3 ecc ram recommendations to buy from aliexpress? all of them have some bad reviews so decided to ask here
>>
>>70549779
Why would you buy from ali instead of ebay when the latter is cheaper?
>>
>>70549751
god aye, swarm was terrible at the beginning, good bit better now with proper service handling and stack deployment.
>>
I'm almost done configuring Gladys and honestly, it's not as bad as i expected. Now i just need to buy a few chinkshit devices to use its IoT features.
>>
>>70539017
Are you guys brainlette/noob friendly here?
Ordered 3 2 TB drives for 70 bucks that'll be here tomorrow. I need guidance uwu
>>
>>70550508
What guidance do you need?

Generally you just hook them up, run mdadm+LVM2 or snapraid or whatever else you want to arrange the storage, and then proceed to put your data on the drives / host stuff off the drives as usual.
>>
Hello!

I'm interested in getting a NAS for home use. I mostly torrent files (run several instances of bittorent) and stream on 2-3 devices thru Plex locally. My current desktop does the job well, but I find it to be power inefficient.

That said I'm very much interested in the many options on the market. I do not have knowledge of OS/ Firmware/ FileSistems so I had a look at different pre-built NAS systems, many beign around 2000 US Dollars, which I found surprising to say the least.

The steep price drove me away from the pre-built option and came here to seek advice on how to approach this situation before I dwell in to deaper reading. My budget being anywhere from 500 to 1500, /g/ could you suggest what I should get or what should I learn before making a purchase?
>>
>>70550770
The networking side I'm kinda stupid with, its like 5 windows PC's on the network, so I looked into Samba and that seems easy enough. The existing issue is that there's no network between existing computers (I've tried everything) I'm fairly certain it comes from using routers as switches and can be fixed by putting network switches in front of the routers.

Also I've never really done a raid set up before, let alone on a *nix system. Is setting it up in the RAID BIOS good enough or do I need to do some work on the OS side as well?
>>
>>70550980
> The existing issue is that there's no network between existing computers (I've tried everything)
Odd. You mean you can't even ping ip addresses of other machines and so on when pinging is generally allowed?

If so, sure, you might want to fix your AP/routers/switch settings. Maybe it's all intentionally isolated (routing only between the internet and the individual machine) by configuration on these.

> Also I've never really done a raid set up before, let alone on a *nix system. Is setting it up in the RAID BIOS good enough or do I need to do some work on the OS side as well?
Don't use the BIOS at all, these are often terrible implementations.

You do it all on the OS side. mdadm is really easy. Basically like:
 mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=5 /dev/sdx /dev/sdy1 /dev/sdz

(You can use whole drives or partitions on them - I mixed them, you probably just want the whole drives)
>>
>>70551157
It's my family and wife's computers that are all windows PC's.
>modem/wifi in main house(2 windows PC's)
>direct from modem to secondary house and splits at router 1(3 windows PC's, 1 *nix)
>secondary houses directly connects to garage splits Ethernet at router 2 (server location and a place where a few windows PC's get set up)

I'm not entirely convinced they're not able to see each other, when I was fucking around with trying to fix this a few months back I could see in the WIN10 home group my wifes login picture on my wind10 system. We're connected via router 2, but no file share, no PC on the network it's self. All sharing options have been fixed and configured correctly too.

That's why I'm going to try the switch idea.

I have a PCI sata raid card, I was referring to the bios on that (it gives me a prompt to enter set up, in setup I have a host of options from format to set up.)
>>
>>70551584
> That's why I'm going to try the switch idea.
Sure. I guess if you're not good with network diagnostics, just putting a switch in between is cheap and probably easy.

> I have a PCI sata raid card, I was referring to the bios on that (it gives me a prompt to enter set up, in setup I have a host of options from format to set up.)
Yes, don't use that. Use it as SATA controller.

Only very few cards are even "okay" at what they do and even then it won't allow you to use other ports on your mainboard and so on, nor will you know that if it breaks you can easily get a replacement. Mdadm is pretty much always better.
>>
>>70539017
Is the sauce of the pic Blame? I sweartogod I've seen that somewhere
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (939 KB, 1920x1080)
939 KB
939 KB JPG
>>70551691
Serial Experiments Lain - that pic is kinda Blame-esque tho

Fucking systemd, After= means mount it AFTER the network is live!
>>
>>70548340
Yeah, that's a good idea too.
>>
>>70544554
the font is fine. luxi mono

the CPU is also fine but I could probably increase the clock speed a bit. more concerned with low power than muh fancy graphics

the RAM is also fine and cost like $10 more than 8 GB. I never need to upgrade it. jumps +1GB or so when running firefox but meh

>>70545342
the host was specifically built as a low energy footprint machine that packs a reasonable punch. I was originally gonna build it into a sun sparc case with ~200W power supply but I nixed that idea and bought a case with 10 HDD bays.

currently has 1 SSD for the OS, and 2x 4 TB drives for home and backup, respectively. adding a 3rd soon to store genome sequences

it's only 4h uptime cuz I'm at home and was doing some work/upgrades that required reboots. usually I'll reboot it every 3 months minimum

this machine mostly does networked backups and streams music FYI. all my public facing stuff (web, email,dav, etc) is hosted on a VPS in scandinavia cuz
>muh privacy

also comcast are faggots and they block inbound ports 25/80 for unknown reasons (probably dipshit customers in botnets or wanting to charge $300/mo for "business" class with the same shit uplink)
>>
File: forklift-accident.jpg (1.29 MB, 4608x2592)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
Why would someone pick FreeNAS over running Ubuntu/Debian/etc with mdadm/btrfs/etc configuration or vice versa? Doing research
>>
>>70551866
I use OMV because it just werks.
>>
>>70551866
FreeBSD has better ZFS implementation
>>
File: Untitled.png (29 KB, 965x745)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>70551675
Okay, so when it detects all the drives just ignore it and don't make an array in the card's BIOs?

Here's a map of my network. idk if it helps at all
>>
>>70552255
>Okay, so when it detects all the drives just ignore it and don't make an array in the card's BIOs?
Yes. Just let them be individual SATA drives.

> Here's a map of my network. idk if it helps at all
Kinda nice. But yea, the obvious thing to try would be to change settings or throw your own firmware on the orange AP routers. First try to make it so that devices on one router can ping each other by IP, then make sure that doing the same with hostnames and full samba works, then get the two separate routers into the same network including subnet (probably run only one of these as dhcp server/forwarder for both?) until all your machines are connecting normally in your intranet.
>>
>>70550898
buy a new ryzen platfrom in 1-2 months once it comes out, it will handle torrenting and plex transcoding just fine and you'll have resources for more VMs and containers to play with
>>
>>70551922
weirdly enough FreeBSD will be switching to the ZOL implementation soon though
>>
File: 1550705979873.png (163 KB, 303x566)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
>>70552596
Thanks, I'll be sure to set the drives in mdadm and not fiddle with the card crap.

Would it be beneficial to set each computers IP statically or would it cause more head aches? on the AP routers, what do you mean when you say changing the firmware? Like an OEM update or like a libreboot thing, but for routers? Would I be just logging into the router and playing with the settings to get them to look into the same network/subnet? I'm sorry if my questions are retard tier, networking is my weakest category, sorta why I wanted a project like this. You've been a massive whitepill when I was feeling a little over my head thanks again!
>>
>>70550898
You could do this on an Odroid XU4Q/HC1/HC2/N2 or Rock64/Rock64Pro if you don't need many drives on that machine.

Of course no realtime video transcoding to fancy formats on these, but they will stream. And usually it's actually better (more power efficient, nicer) just having a few playback devices that can play back current audio/video rather than introducing MONSTER machines that can realtime transcode in good quality... which also won't be power efficient, BTW.
>>
Once I finish my build what should I do with my old laptop? Install proxmox and run some VMs?

All I need it to do is be a Plex server/seedbox. I'd like to run a Windows VM as I have a bot that needs windows, but I kind of doubt my 2 core Intel can handle all of that and run other VMs. Any thoughts?
>>
>>70552903
Do Windows with Linux VMs in Hyper-V if you absolutely require it for the bot. But can't it run in Wine?
>>
>>70539017
First time I've opened this thread up, I'm interested. Right now I'm a student and everything goes through google and I hate it, I'm sure you know how it is. I was going to go and start using Protonmail, but I realised that I'd still need my google account for pretty much everything else which would still have email attached - I need a bigger solution.

Is Syncloud the best place to start? Right now I'm using syncthing to sync my music from my computer to laptop and phone. Would having a home server allow me to do something similar? Seems pretty comfy if I can get this done right?
>>
>>70546140
>Filebot has a symlinks option
I see, I guess it might've been an option though I don't think I have a reason to change now, especially since Filebot apparently isn't entirely free and you have to pay to unlock something.

>>70546117
Setting all that up sounds more complicated than what I've already got working, I'd have to look into how those things are configured.
>>
>>70553150
I doubt it. It would require several different things to coordinate well.

So you're saying just do a Windows 10 as the base and not proxmox or something similar?
>>
>>70552903
I'd prefer just some normal Linux distro and mostly containers (see >>70543845
) rather than VMs, but I'm sure Proxmox is also ok.
>>
>>70553504
> Is Syncloud the best place to start?
Not my choice, but I'd guess it's ok?

> Would having a home server allow me to do something similar?
Yes, obviously it can even run syncthing itself (plus some DLNA server and many other things - as needed, eh).
>>
>>70545677
>thinks morals and politics are unrelated
>does not want demand and thus supply and innovation to go up
>claims to be anarchist

sounds more like enviornmentlaism to me
>>
Two 8tb mybooks arrived yesterday, already did the wd test for both, no bad sectors or anything.

What else should I try fellows? I don't even have a clue if I got a red or a white one.

They'll be shucked once I visit my parents on Easter, going straight into my zfs Nas as mirrors.
>>
>>70554545
I like to keep new drives running for a while before I put any data I want to keep on them. Sometimes you can get a dud which just dies in a few days or weeks, but if it lasts a while then odds are the drive is good. This is also better for warranty purposes, if the drive dies you won't have to worry about potentially sending personal data off for RMA.
>>
>>70554072
So I'd need to run Mint or something and then learn to use Docker and then have separate dockers for Plex and rTorrent and then also have a Windows 10 VM going? Is that the most efficient way?
>>
Reminder for everyone that the best Home Server OS is the OS you are most comfortable with. Mine runs Windows.
>>
>>70555033
> I'd need to run Mint or something and then learn to use Docker
Or docker-compose, yes. Not much to do/learn this far though. For the most part you just fill in the variables in something like the usage instructions here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex

> then have separate dockers for Plex and rTorrent
Or you have a plex container and rTorrent from your package manager.

Or you make your own container that has both. Or something else. As you please.

> and then also have a Windows 10 VM going
Dunno. Maybe wine or a native equivalent works,
There's no real harm in quickly dropping Windows 10 into a VM on the side and using that until you maybe have time to figure out if there are alternatives.
>>
Just finished setting up OSMC. What's the point of media servers? Seems like gimmick to me.

>navigation is hard

I'd rather just have a laptop that connects to a TV and watch it there.
>>
>>70555150
> If you're most comfortable with flint knapping, the best wheels to use are someone else's flint knapped stone wheels.
This doesn't seem to work either.
>>
>>70555153

Thanks for the detailed response. Docker looks pretty daunting as of now, but I'm sure it would be good to learn.

So I guess I'd set up a docker for Plex and a docker for Deluge. Can't think of any others I'd need right now. And they just run in the background right? There's no GUI?
>>
>>70555246
>What's the point of media servers?
Usually they are file storages that can stream over DLNA UpNp thingies to clients that request media.

It depends on you having presumably multiple client devices that want to request media, else you might usually as well not stream and just make the current device both the storage and the playback device.
>>
>>70555284
>else you might usually as well not stream and just make the current device both the storage and the playback device

Yeah, this seems like a better option for me. I'm a ronery fag so I don't need to serve client devices.
>>
>>70555251
That's a nice analogy. Seems a bit dated. Here's a better one: If you don't want to take your car to a garage or leave it broken then buy a car you know how to maintain.
>>
>>70555276
> Docker looks pretty daunting as of now
It's a dead simple tool for "the IT masses" really. Very easy to pick up and use.

> And they just run in the background right? There's no GUI?
Docker things generally expose a CLI or web UI if anything, not a GTK+ / QT GUI.

Well, there are actually ways to also graphically connect to Docker containers, but if you wanted the GTK+ Deluge UI, you'd probably just install your distro's Deluge package normally instead. No real need to force everything into Docker in a home setting.
>>
>>70555319
There is the chance that you still have a smartphone and TV or something. Maybe the smartphone even just plays music and the TV just plays audio- it'll still be easier to centralize the media on that one box that downloads it.

But it is certainly conceivable that you'd be okay without streaming capabilities.
>>
>>70555412
>Well, there are actually ways to also graphically connect to Docker containers, but if you wanted the GTK+ Deluge UI, you'd probably just install your distro's Deluge package normally instead. No real need to force everything into Docker in a home setting.

Yeah, dealing with dockers for everything is probably overkill for me. Just a simple linux server distro with Plex/Deluge and a Windows 10 VM is all I really need for now. Down the road maybe I'll worry about it more when I get ready to get into RAID.
>>
>>70555246
>What's the point of media servers?
The benefits I get from mine are
>library available on multiple devices, including those which require transcoding for some media
>metadata/artwork for all my content
>synced viewing progress no matter where I watch
>media can be watched in a web browser, which means that pretty much anything can play it
You don't need a media server if you only watch media on a single device.
>>
>>70555493
> Down the road maybe I'll worry about it more when I get ready to get into RAID.
RAID also wouldn't generally be done with docker.

It's usually just the command in >>70551157 and then using the resulting /dev/md0 like it was one single normal drive.
>>
>>70555586
>It's usually just the command in >>70551157 and then using the resulting /dev/md0 like it was one single normal drive.

I got you. Not sure where I got the idea that I should use Docker at this point.

Any particular distro that works best for my needs? Or is there a search engine that lets you put in your needs and it will spit out a few options?

I know my seedbox and a lot of others use Debian.
>>
>>70539210
why don't you use something like tmux instead of mobaxterm?
any command line multiplexer is far more extensible.
>>
>>70555772
>Not sure where I got the idea that I should use Docker at this point.
Well, it's not like it's a bad idea for Plex or such server daemon things, because it can make it really easy.

Example: If you want to run your own searx instance on port 8890, you put the following into a docker-compose.yml in some directory, and then run docker-compose up
version: '3'
services:
searx:
container_name: searx
image: wonderfall/searx:latest
restart: always
ports:
- 8890:8888

It doesn't really get easier than that, and this also applies to deploying things like Plex or Pleroma or Gogs or whatever.

But it's more interesting for server software stacks than mdadm or your GTK+ Deluge client.

> Or is there a search engine that lets you put in your needs and it will spit out a few options?
I think there was something like that, but I don't have it at hand.

The requirements you listed allow basically any distro that can run a desktop (for Deluge). Pretty sure Debian would be okay.
>>
>>70555436
>>70555554
Thanks.
>>
>>70555833
>>Not sure where I got the idea that I should use Docker at this point.

Does it actually save on system resources or anything? Because the Windows 10 VM is a hog of course. If there's a big benefit to saving there, then I probably should do it. Especially if I try to let Plex transcode something.
>>
Novice question here, but can someone give a rec to setting up a vlan?

I used hamachi and evolve in the past but I'm guessing those are pozzed. Is there a good platform for developmentally challenged?
>>
>>70555983
> Does it actually save on system resources
Typically the same amount of system resources are needed for containers as for the same software without a container.

Sure, containers themselves also can run VMs, at which point they're ~ as resource-consuming as a VM and the application. But even if they do, usually it's something like Alpine or something other distro that was slimmed down quite a bit. Smaller than a Windows 10 VM in almost all instances.

> or anything?
Yes, it also simplifies management of the server daemon.

You only pass a few directories to containerized plex (see either the docker or docker-compose section under "usage" here https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex) and behold, you've got plex running.
>>
>>70556157
Wireguard is nice, but I'm not sure if this is the best option if you're
> developmentally challenged

Maybe Zerotier or DynVPN?
>>
do you guys user docker for all your home server services? i have an odroid and i'm still new to this so i wouldnt need nothing too fancy.
you know the usual: pihole, nas,transmission,plex
should i even bother with docker? i have experience with docker and know how to do this, just not sure if the pain is worth it.
>>
>>70556582
I don't use any containers or VMs at all, though my initial setup happened like 5 years ago and Docker wasn't really a thing back then. I haven't changed much since then other than keeping things up to date. I don't feel like VMs or containers are required or very helpful at all, unless you're isolating services which are exposed to the internet and may be vulnerable to attack.
>>
>>70556582
> do you guys user docker for all your home server services?
No. Just for some.

> should i even bother with docker?
Yes.

> if the pain is worth it
What pain? You basically just throw your config into docker-compose and up the container.
>>
>>70556245
>You only pass a few directories to containerized plex (see either the docker or docker-compose section under "usage" here https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex) and behold, you've got plex running.
Last time I used Plex, getting it running on Debian involved installing the .deb they provide, that's it. After that you've got Plex running.
>>
Docker noob here. I have a NAS running on OpenMediaVault. I can install docker on it, and run qBitorrent and convert it to a seedbox. My question is, how would I save the torrent outside the container? If the container stops, wouldn't I lose all the stuff I'm seeding?
>>
>>70557118
Sure, depending on how it's prepared for a distro's package manager, it's just as easy to install and update.

>>70557776
Have a look at:
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/qbittorrent

See the volumes it defines? These paths are outside the container, they'll not get wiped even if you remove the container and replace it with a newer version.
>>
>>70557825
Oh, okay that makes sense.
How about the torrents that you are seeding (in the qbittorent inside the container, not the actual file, but the qbittorent config). Would it be gone if the container stops? I don't want to set it up everytime the container restarts.
>>
>>70557888
>qbittorent config

Torrent entries in qBittorrent inside the container is what I mean.
>>
>>70557888
>>70557974
If I understood you right: That's pretty much what that config volume is used for.
>>
>>70557995
You're right, I'm stupid. Thanks!
>>
Any suggestions for platforms to play with some virtualization on top of an underutilized server running a few local services and docker containers? I'm looking into KVM/QEMU but would prefer some kind of graphical management interface.
>>
>>70558080
>I'm looking into KVM/QEMU but would prefer some kind of graphical management interface.
Virt-manager maybe?

There are also some GUI and Web UI things for docker (including such that run inside docker), but frankly avoid them and just use CLI docker or docker-compose.
>>
>>70556328
Thank you based hsg poster.May the dog of good fortune bring you joy.
>>
I know it says gentoo but anybody knows what is the most used linux distro when it comes to networking in the professional world?
>>
>>70558801
debian
>>
>>70558801
centos/red hat
>>
I can't fucking wait for my Rock64pro.
>>
Thoughts on Qnap? a lot of people seem to regard them as inferior to Synology - is their OS that much worse?
>>
File: ghetto_beowulf.jpg (533 KB, 1000x1388)
533 KB
533 KB JPG
>>70555832
you know, I'm not sure.

I used to use it all the time - has the cssh like behaviour always been there or added in last 10 years? that could be it.
>>
>>70558801
I work for an ISP and the official distro is RHEL. But i also know from multiple teams that they are using Ubuntu for team internal infrastructure. Has not a lot to do with networking though. That's mostly Cisco and Huawei.
>>
>>70539017
what kinds of things can i do with a nas
>>
>>70560239
File server, torrent downloader, web server, almost any attack vector you can think of.
>>
File: leadImage_leadimage.jpg (3 KB, 128x96)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
RIPE Atlas is sending out new probes.
>RIPE Atlas is a global network of probes that measure Internet connectivity and reachability, providing an unprecedented understanding of the state of the Internet in real time. (https://atlas.ripe.net/about/)

If you are living in a third world shithole or if you are using a small ISP with a bad coverage they will send you a SBC for free which you just have to plug in (to your guest VLAN). You can have a look at https://atlas.ripe.net/results/maps/network-coverage/ to check if it makes sense. If you don't know what AS you are in you can visit https://bgp.he.net which will show the ASN of your ISP. If there aren't already hundreds of probes in your network you can apply for one https://atlas.ripe.net/get-involved/become-a-host/.

Except from the good feeling to host something in your home network that's actually useful you also get the benefit of being able to do your own measurements from hosts all over the world.
>>
File: hsg-20190409-ss.jpg (1.7 MB, 3400x1526)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
sup /hsg/
got a free 1000W Dell UPS the other day, just waiting on batteries to come in. next on the list is a real metal NAS to replace the OMV vm on the laptop

>>70556157
depends on your router and switching equipment
or if you mean VPN, just use openvpn. dealing with certificates is a bitch if you don't know what you're doing but it's good practice (or just follow the wizard in pfsense)
>>
>>70556157
>setting up a vlan?
Check your switch manual. If you are asking your switch most likely doesn't support it.

>hamachi
That's more of a VPN as far as i know if you are looking for something brain dead i would recommend Zerotier as >>70556328 already suggested.
>>
>>70559418
>cssh
never used it myself, but in tmux there is a way to synchronize input across panes, and of coruse there plenty of helper plugins or ones you can create your own to automate menial task.
impressive setup.
>>
I have a freenas server and a supermicro board with an old 60GB SSD connected to the internal USB port which frequently disconnects resulting in the machine freezing. I then tested the SSD through my front USB3 ports on my desktop and see the same disconnection issues. However on the back usb3 ports everything works fine.
Do internal supermicro USB ports have some kind of power limit?
>>
>>70561839
There are quite a few supermicro boards and I assume they don't all have the same USB controller specs.

Maybe you've actually got two controllers and one of them (the internal one) sucks in some way, sure. But I believe it's unlikely that this is a problem that every supermicro board would have.
>>
File: shield.jpg (239 KB, 3000x2000)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>tfw plug an external hdd into nvidia shield connected to the tv
>it. just. fucking. works.
Seriously, I run Plex on it and every device in my house can stream from it.
>>
>>70562006
You can also do this with $25 ish Chinese HTPC boxes. If you need nothing more, Android is ok.

Starts to be an arsepain once you want even just a bit more like RAID6 or such, though.
>>
>>70562005
I used to use a simple USB stick but the constant writing to it kills it within weeks usually. Its just strange that its only the internal port in the supermicro and the front usb ports on my desktop are playing up. I doubt that an old 60gb SSD uses more power than the usb port can provide.
>>
>>70562053
>You can also do this with $25 ish Chinese HTPC boxes
Good luck transcoding more than 2 videos at once.
>>
>>70562070
Why would I transcode a video to begin with?

Any remotely recent computer or Android smartphone etc. plays back typical current videos okay. If you have some terrible "smart" TV or other thing that struggles the same ~$25 devices can compensate.

And for actual proper encodes (from BD rips to your own hobby camera recordings on a decent hobby camera) you definitely want something that can handle it. Pretty sure the Shields and also the even faster (>$25) Chinese HTPC boxes only really do low quality x264 at 30-60FPS.
>>
>>70562006
Why wouldnt this work? Direct streaming can be done from pretty much any potato.
>>
>>70562180
Maybe if you're streaming mp4 shit.

The Shield streams 60fps just fine too. There's a reason it blows away chinkshit in every tested benchmark.
>>
>>70562006
the shield is pretty slick but not worth the extra $70 from an equivalent chink android box if your only use is not gaymen related
>>
>>70562362
> Maybe if you're streaming mp4 shit.
No, just all common formats? Of course you can play back .mkv or .avi or .webm or whatever, too.

The current cheap machines might even have enough power to software decode AV1 eventually, although it's a bit hard to verify that since there aren't too many videos with various settings out yet, and we don't REALLY know what encoders and settings will be used once they're fast enough.

> There's a reason it blows away chinkshit in every tested benchmark.
I think you're confusing gaymen benchmarks with the plain ability to send out "stream" files at ~GBE speeds. The latter isn't very uncommon now.
>>
>>70558801
freebsd
>>
>>70562881
based + redpilled
>>
Hi

I'm sysadmining, and I need to write some documentation to note what I'm actually doing.
What do you recommend?
>>
>>70563176
Write down all the steps involved even if it feels stupid at the time and include a brief explanation of the purpose or reasoning behind them.
>>
>>70563276
Thanks

Got any software or tool recommended?
>>
>>70563355
ansible or some other 'infrastructure as code' tool. Don't do shit manually. With that and a small README.md and a network plan (draw.io) your documentation is better than what most companies have.
>>
>>70563436
you are great!
thank you
>>
Hi

Is it bad practice to use Ubuntu as your hypervisor and CentOS as your VMs?
>>
>>70565064
pls respond
>>
Is Docker a better VM or are those technologies have different use cases?
>>
>>70565182
Different use cases.

It' s not a VM, it shares OS, so it's ideal of quickly spinning up something.
>>
Any advice / recommendations for buying a used UPS off eBay that works with FreeNAS UPS Service? Around 1000-1500VA
>>
>>70565182
It is a bit like "a better VM" in that it gives container makers the ability to run a VM or just plain binaries in a isolated environment on the host without a full VM.

The analogy with standard freight containers is also pretty good - whatever it is, you usually get a container and deal with it mostly the same way if you want to run it.

It's an easy/useful thing to know, just try it.
>>
>>70565411
I've never understood why you would use docker. The "it's easier" part doesn't really get me. Installing something is, at least on debian / ubuntu, most of the time just an apt install xyz. The bigger part is always configuring it appropriately to your needs. Am i missing something? Is there some magic configuration stuff integrated into docker? Am i just an old man yelling at the cloud?
>>
>>70539017
Newbie here looking to get a microserver of some kind and been looking at HP stuff mainly.

I'm planning on running Plex on it, using as a VMware ESXi host and maybe use it as torrent box and whatever other useful software I need.

>Budget
Not really an issue but I was hoping around £200~£300base and then similar again for drives/RAM upgrades.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>70566100
It's useful in an enterprise context where your actual application may depend on a lot of 3rd party shit which needs a lot of configuration. In such cases you may be able to configure everything in docker thus making it very easy to deploy on any machine which has docker without bothering every time with installing and configuring potentially fiddly 3rd party prerequisites. At work a lot of other teams develop Java EE applications, which means they need their shitty Java application servers, which are somewhat buggy and unreliable programs which sometimes fail in unpredictable and cryptic ways. They're basically a bitch to deal with, so when it comes time to deploy their application it's much easier to run a known-working Docker image on your production server than try to fiddle with and configure some monstrous application server in production.

It's also useful for shit like dynamically scaling cluster sizes in cloud environments, because it's easy to spin up more machines which then spin up Docker containers as opposed to every machine requiring some lengthy setup process before the application can work.

In a home environment with a single home server machine, I don't see much use for it unless you want to use containers to isolate potentially vulnerable applications from the rest of your server for security purposes and want something 'easier' than setting up individual VMs (especially if you can already find the programs you want ready to go in Docker).
>>
I set up a nix samba server for backing up windows. It is reachable from several subnets, so I've configured backups to reach it via \\192.168.0.10\hostname. This has worked so far, but I'm worried that the client machine is not authenticating the server, and the client may try to connect to the samba server when travelling, gleefully copying every document I have to any server responding on 192.168.0.10 willing to grant access.

How would I go about locking down access so that my laptop only trusts my server with its backups?
>>
I wanted to setup a torrent box that would download the torrents, serve as NAS and host the Kodi video database. I'd also like to have it serve other home server uses (Nextcloud, general backup machine, all sorts of neat things). But of course if I setup VPN, I wouldn't have access to my machine outside of my home. Fuck.
>>
>>70566518
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/b2qZMZ

Now add some drives
>>
>>70568091
>But of course if I setup VPN, I wouldn't have access to my machine outside of my home
What? That's literally what you'd use a VPN for.
>>
>>70568271
I meant as in connecting my server to an outside VPN provider, because I'd use the machine for torrenting. And if I do that, I can't connect to it through that VPN server.
>>
>>70568389
If you're going to use it strictly for torrenting, looking into a seedbox might be worth it if you're going to be paying anyway. Otherwise I would probably do something like run a torrenting VM which connects to the external VPN and runs rtorrent or whatever you want, with storage mounted from your physical host or some such. That way you don't have to put your entire home server behind a VPN, that sounds like a complete pain in the ass.
>>
>>70568488
Well my original idea was to do torrenting, NAS and Kodi database. That shouldn't be much of an issue, even with my mediocre skills. Then I thought of doing Nextcloud and making it a general purpose server for myself, putting Nextcloud on it and shit. But that kinda hit a wall because of the VPN. Now I'm a bit torn on which one I should do. I'll probably just go for the torrent+NAS setup and see if that works since the other stuff would've been fun extras to test out and expand my knowhow. I wish there was an easy way to setup VPN just for some stuff and have the others be regular connection.
>>
File: 55556666.jpg (155 KB, 1056x796)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Should i get a Switch Cisco 3550 and a Cisco Pix 515? I want them to learn networking at home, i also have the chance to get a router, the 2811, 2600, 2500, or the 2611xm that is like 50% more than the others, what do you people think?
>>
>>70566100
you can of course do exact same container stuff manually with same results which works ok if you're a NEET with nothing better to do
otherwise you use something that gets shit done ASAP and is well supported and documented, like docker
it also helps that docker has a massive ecosystem of not always shitty containers already available for use
>>
File: 1545260389512.jpg (69 KB, 1080x1081)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
> yfw if you realize you don't need rpis to get experience with clusters
> yfw you just use vms and cut cost, as per what vms are for
> yfw you'd get more experience investing in a platform that could run many VMs
> yfw you could walk through back alleys and cobble together whatever you find
> yfw your skills would be more valuable if you used VMs instead of rpis
> yfw you do it so you can post pictures of green pcb and cables all over
> yfw you copy and paste commands from some wordpress based blog from <2015
< yfw im gay
> forf in hanb shniff ham
>>
File: T9VO.gif (815 KB, 400x400)
815 KB
815 KB GIF
>>70544804
> wasting electricity
> more ram = using more electricity
huh
>>
File: Capture111.png (5 KB, 261x130)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>70545371
>>70544804
Memorylets are not allowed here
>>
>>70570449
>ram doesn't use electricity
>>
File: yeeeee.jpg (15 KB, 717x125)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>70569593
Depends on if you want Cisco IOS experience or just experience in general. PFsense is a good way to learn basic routing for super cheap (any old hardware lying around and it's free software). For Cisco specifically A 3550 and a 2811 is a good start and you can do so much with a single router and switch. If you want to really dive into different routing protocols you should get a second router to practice route learning between routers. 2811's are pretty cheap nowadays since fast ethernet is super old tech. Great for homelabs tho. IOS 12.4 is perfectly fine for learning on, if you can find IOS 15 then even better, but I wouldn't expect that. IOS 15 """requires""" licensing and whatnot. You can find 15 online if you look/care enough.

TL:DR 3550 and 2811 is a great starting point for Cisco lab.
>>
File: 1549100834985.gif (186 KB, 345x345)
186 KB
186 KB GIF
>>70570567
i've got all this memory but i dont know what to do with it >>70547274
>>
File: KdT4.gif (3.9 MB, 400x638)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB GIF
>>70570634
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/d620mtd620sfbm3cf/CT9011618
x= number of ram sticks
(1.2V x ~3A)*x
~3.6W/stick
huh guess you're right
guess it uses a negligible amount of electricity.
huh
>>
>>70570636
Thanks for the answer, im looking more into CISCO, what do you think of the Cisco Pix 515? is it worth too for a home lab? i've read it's like a firewall. I will definitely try to get a 2811 as primary router, and what do you think of the other models (2501,1841,2600 ) are worth to have as second router or are too old? im saying because they are dirt cheap.
>>
File: andrea crash.png (59 KB, 1276x695)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
While copying data, my backup box has been crashing, or rather rebooting due to the hardware watchdog. I disabled the watchdog and started a copy, and now it's hanged again.

What do you make of this? Is the drive bad, or maybe the controller?
>>
>>70539210
Consider using something like ansible to sync management instead of terminal sync. It also supports docker shit.
>>
>>70552822
If you have a router I just set reserved DHCP since it's easier. You can set them statically on the machine but if they're not taken out the DHCP pool, it's not good.
>>
File: andrea crash2.png (89 KB, 1139x707)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>70571042
Here's the relevant dmesg for ata5, it's a pci-e sata card with a port multiplier, apparently
sde is the boot drive, sdf is the one I was copying shit off when it hung. Neither show any errors in smart logs
There are more drives but they're on a different controller

Could it be that a chink sata card is defective and randomly getting stuck, surely not lol
>>
>>70571053
aye, i've used ansible before, its very nice - If I had more nodes or was planning to expand I'd definitely go with it, but for one-shot simple configuration like this, synced terminals does the job.
>>
>>70570567
I bet that's DDR3, though.
>>
>>70558080
VirtualBox

Has a gui and might suit your needs.
>>
>>70571492
get out
>>
>>70558080
i'm running a three node kvm cluster with virt-manager in production
if you don't have many vms its alright
>>
Does anyone have cockpit setup on Debian 9? For me it gives a blank page after logging in. The instructions are basically just apt install cockpit and direct your browser to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9090, but it just doesn't work for me and I didn't find any help even after an hour of searching.
>>
>>70570567
>page file
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (498 KB, 1600x1200)
498 KB
498 KB JPG
>tfw I want to build a PC from used server parts
>tfw they will cost more than a Ryzen 1700 system and won't even outperform it
I fucking hate you boomers for driving up the prices of used server parts.
>>
>>70574108
>want to build a PC from used server parts
Enjoy your very loud computer that takes 2 minutes just to post
>>
>>70570709
Wouldn't it be easier to just use gns3?
>>
What's the best torrent daemon/headless thingy? On desktop I've really like qBittorrent, but I'm not sure if qbittorrent-nox is best fit for the job. Also, with qB I've had it set to only use tun0, what's the best way to achieve this kind of "killswitch" behaviour in case my VPN connection drops?
>>
>>70574411
That's probably a revelation for you, but Intel server mobos carry the same socket and installing tower coolers on them is no problem.
>>
>>70575554
no idea
i made a docker container with transmission and openvpn that i access via the web ui
the container can only connect through the vpn so it should not leak my ip
been considering moving to nspawn though since i run a systemd distro and nspawn looks neat
>>
>>70575554
Deluge is the one I use, and it's great. It has a headless daemon mode that you can connect clients to.
>>
What do you name your servers?
>>
>>70575954
infamous suburbs around me
>>
>>70575954
anime girls, what else?
>>
>>70575954
after anime girls of course
>>
>>70576023
>>70575983
kys pedo scum
>>
>>70571172
No idea about chink SATA controllers, though a few years back when I was looking for more SATA ports as well I found quite a few reports of instability with Linux for multiple chipsets used in cheap shit. I ended up buying a used Dell PERC H310 and flashing different firmware on it to get rid of the hardware RAID which I didn't want. It has been rock solid ever since, no issues at all.

>>70575554
I'd go with rtorrent + rutorrent, I've been very happy with this setup. As for VPN, I don't really know a good way to do it other than dumping the torrent client in some container or into a VM and running everything in the container/VM through the VPN.
>>
>>70575554
Go with qbittorrent-nox. I use it. Works 100%. Even use the tun0 only setting. You will have to edit that setting in conf file but it does work
>>
>>70576131
I've been wondering if it will work the same as it does with the normal version. That has worked perfectly for me so it would be nice to be able to stick with qb.
>>70576086
I've been thinking about trying this method out. Doesn't this allow me to do torrenting through a VPN and let everything else connect to internet normally?
>>
>>70576178
>Doesn't this allow me to do torrenting through a VPN and let everything else connect to internet normally?
Yes, that's the point really. You run the torrent client in a VM which sits behind VPN, but everything outside of that VM can reach the internet directly.
>>
>>70575554
i'm using transmission in a docker container with transmission-remote on the outside which watches and adds torrent files
there's also a bunch of remote admin tools for it, gui and text
>>
File: 1555396766859.jpg (464 KB, 2272x1704)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>70576086
It's definitely the card that is to blame, I've been running the same copy job on loop for 10 hours now off the mobo controller. No problems were had

It's an ASMedia 1062 based card and I think the port multiplier is also ASMedia. There's a selector switch for ahci/no-boot/ide, I might try setting it to something else and see what happens
>>
File: 1409018717671.jpg (3.92 MB, 4800x6912)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
>>70575954
2hu Qt3.14s
>>
>>70568389
Don't some outside VPN providers support port forwarding? Mine does
>>
>>70575954
Under JRPG aircraft or spacecraft such as Albiore, Epoch, etc.
>>
What all can I do with a home server?
I want a NAS and horde all my media

What are my other options?
Also learning how to be a sysadmin
>>
I've had a very strange issue on my server, running up to date Debian 9. Maybe somebody has an idea how this shit could happen.

Python started segfaulting when running things which had not been changed in a long time, small scripts I wrote but also other programs I hadn't written myself. I thought it extremely strange and after a bit of troubleshooting I realized it was segfaulting on import of certain modules/libraries. For instance I could start a Python interpreter, type "import urllib2" and it would segfault every time, though other imports worked fine. After even more troubleshooting, I found that the python binary itself appeared to be corrupted, judging by the fact that it had a different hash than one from a fresh Debian install. I replaced it with the fresh binary, everything works now.

Now, the server was running off of an SD card which was several years old. My conclusion is that the thing started nearing the end of its life and the python binary simply got corrupted. I have since replaced it. Any other ideas, or any tips on how I could figure out how the file was modified?
>>
>>70576812
Some do, I'm using PIA and they have that option, but without using their own program it seems a bit tricky to setup. I'm probably better off trying the container approach.
>>
>>70576854
id think its what your thinking
i dont see any other reason why it should of become corrupted otherwise
also i had a similar experience when running gentoo off of a sd card a few years ago
>>
>>70577007
I hope that's it. So far I've cloned the old card onto the new one, now I get to play the waiting game to see if anything else fails in cryptic fashion, since it's possible other shit got corrupted without me noticing. Worst case scenario I suppose I'll have to revert to an older backup.
>>
>>70576733
why do you have so many computers?
How did you make that pic?
>>
>>70577573

Adobe Photoshop
>>
>>70576733
Post more Visio/Libre Draw network Diagrams.
I need some inspo for my own im working on.
>>
5x2TB RAID-5
vs
3x4TB RAID-5
vs
2x8TB Mirrored
Which one and why go
>>
>>70578530
>2x8TB Mirrored

Less writes, less points of failure, faster rebuild/recovery
>>
>>70578530
I'd go 2x8TB mirrored because bigger disks and eventually expand by adding more identical mirrors. ZFS btw. Yes, we'd only be able to use half the storage but the performance, reliability and ease of expansion makes it worth it.
>>
>>70578592
>>70578576
Forgot to clarify I was going to use ZFS
Thanks
>>
>>70578530
3x4TB RAID5. More space/power efficient and running parity calculations at full speed is no issue on any slightly capable arm or x86 chipset.

The only downside is slightly higher IO latency, but if that mattered I'm guessing you'd be using SSD or a SSD lvmcache in front of the array.
>>
>>70578530
If that's the whole extent of the array and you will never expand it, I suppose I would go for 2x8TB RAID1. If you want to add more drives in the future, maybe move up to RAID6 as you do so, I'd go with the 3x4TB option. RAID1 is inefficient as far as usable space (and money) goes, so I wouldn't want to keep expanding at that rate. RAID6 (and 5) are much more effective from that point of view, though I'd suggest RAID6 generally, when you have enough drives. As for why 4TB instead of 2TB, simply because 2TB seems like a pretty small amount of storage nowadays, I wouldn't want to give up a SATA port and a HDD mount in the case for that little space. I believe 4TB HDDs should also be cheaper in terms of $/TB.
>>
>>70576835
>Also learning how to be a sysadmin
Learn something like ansible / puppet / whatever. Be decent in bash and python (be comfortable writing a few hundred lines scripts). Read logs! strace, netstat / ss and iptables are your friends. It's a lot about experience so start with simple setups and make them more complicated till it breaks. Then start debugging. Your application uses sqlite? Migrate to an external database server. Create a master / slave database. Use bonding and vlans. Setup a mailserver with spamfilter or dns with dnssec and multiple slaves and dynamic updates. Do backups and create disaster recovery plans and test them. sudo rm -rf /* shouldn't be a problem for you.
>>
The money pit has arrived
>>
After all the suggestions I did setup my server with docker image of qBittorrent and openvpn. Works great and allows me to setup other stuff too, stuff that requires a normal connection (as opposed to the VPN I use for bittorrent). Though now I'm realizing that the issue is that my "server" probably can't handle anything else, since it's an old netbook.
>>
>>70581713
neat, what's your plans with it
>>
File: Capture.png (38 KB, 1005x608)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
First time making a NAS and went with FreeNas, not sure if I fucked up but somehow my deluge jail is 7.4GB after install.
>>
>>70583266
That is huge. Unless your downloads are also inside that jail?
>>
>>70583489
Nope. Haven't downloaded anything yet. I was following a guide but it was kind of outdated so I had to wing it towards the end and ended up installing packages that probably were not needed. It is running now but I think I'm going to blow the jail away and try again tomorrow.
>>
Pros and cons of ovirt vs proxmox? Which would you run given these two choices and why?
>>
>>70583580
good luck, that's something I'm planning to do when I get my hands on some new hardware
hope it goes well
>>
>>70575954
League champions, alphabetically

>>70578026
That's some serious autism anon, I love it

>>70582267
Got a compose for that torrent+vpn setup?
About the netbook I wouldn't worry too much…I'm running a Pi with all kinds of shit on it and it runs perfectly; you can run lots of stuff as long as it doesn't do all of them at the same time.
Don't underestimate >1GHz CPUs.
>>
Does anyone have the flowchart the OP mentions?
>>
File: IMG_20180913_165431283.jpg (2.06 MB, 3264x2448)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
Have these fat fucks around
I will be setting up a proxmox cluster and run basic infrastructure on one (DHCP, DNS, NIC, NTP)
Then I have no idea what to host there but that's fine
>>
>>70576733
cringe
>>
>>70576544
>switched card to ide mode
>only two ports work now, but that's enough so it's fine
>leave test copy job running overnight
>...
>power outage during the night
Thanks Vattenfall
>>
>>70578530
1x8 TB + 1x8 TB backup instead of RAID retardation unless you plan on expanding the array in the future or already have a backup solution in place.
>>
>>70575954
{p,v,c}-{func}-{##}
p for physical, v for virtual, c for containers, replaced with company+loc if a VPS
i.e. p-nas-01
Nicknames go in cname
>>
>>70575954
Physical servers for now have been female names starting with a: andrea, amanda, aurora
Virtual machines I generally just name by what they do: mail, nextcloud, mediaserver
>>
>>70583930
>Got a compose for that torrent+vpn setup?
I used this one https://github.com/MarkusMcNugen/docker-qBittorrentvpn, I'm a complete noob when it comes to docker so I don't know if that's a good setup or not. I checked Docker Hub and it wasn't terribly old and had a fair number of pulls. I did manage to set it up and get everything working as intended.
>Don't underestimate >1GHz CPUs
Well I put it to test downloading and seeding a few distros and according to htop openvpn seemed to be using approx. 80% of CPU. Though I don't know if it's an issue with my setup or something, I haven't got that far yet.
>>
WHY THE FUCK ARE RACKS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN MOST FURNITURE FUCKKK
>>
>>70587903

If the furniture was design to house $10k's worth of stuff then it would be at least as expensive as racks.
>>
>>70587903
Racks are useless anyway for a home user

Lack rack it or use tower servers
>>
>>70587903
Open racks aren't that expensive.

Otherwise it's speciality furniture that's usually sold to companies and it will house mission critical expensive gear, of course it can be pricey (and needs to be very robust and pretty good, else your rack business is done).
>>
File: 1549989112623.jpg (184 KB, 946x1078)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
anyone into systemd-nspawn?
>>
File: image5.jpg (63 KB, 602x1200)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Looking for some cheap hardware for a server.
Right now I have a cheap thinkcenter hosting a minecraft and plex server but its really starting to show its limitations.

Where are the good deals right now?
I dont mine used or weird hardware
>>
>>70589576
redpill me on nspawn, how does it differ from lxc, openvz or jails?

>>70589947
ryzen 3 in two(?) months
>>
>>70589972
i dont know how it actually differs apart from it being part of systemd
im currently using docker but thinking of switching to nspawn so i dont have to have docker installed
>>
>>70589947
Ryzen 3 SOON
>>
>>70570636
The 2821 is cheaper... should I get that one?

However I'm asking another general question, starting cisco certs for the long run as I am already IT but I sucks at networking... got a 12u cabinet ready, I wonder what are going to be my first equipments. Any suggestion other than 3550 and 2811?
>>
>>70589947
For plex and such you could run an ARM machine, but I figure if you also run the minecraft server 24/7 you'll need an x86_64.

So yea, Ryzen3 or Intel i3 or something now, or next gen soon. It'll likely still be >$300.
>>
>>70589576
It works, but I found that I'm usually preferring docker-compose (runc) or firejail/apparmor. Individually they're often easier and/or more powerful.

>>70589972
> how does it differ from lxc, openvz or jails?
You should consider it an alternative to chroot and runc and firejail or something like that.

It can actually run docker images, and it can provide the virtualized filesystems of firejail & friends. But it doesn't got quite as far as many of the above in terms of having the choice between sharing or isolating resources, and stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, for home use, I'd suggest you probably want to learn to use some of docker[-compose], apparmor, firejail - more than systemd-nspawn.
>>
>>70590408
BTW this isn't entirely because it's impossible to run Minecraft servers on ARM, it's just easier to get the required processing power, RAM and stuff for modpacks (that you may use now or might want to use later) with x86_64.
>>
>>70567873
halp
>>
>>70590170
If you can try to get a 1841 router because it supports IOS15 and the cisco exams use that version
>>
>>70590787
I see. There's the 1841 for around 100$ and the 2821 for 120$ (canacuck monopoly money). I know not everything in tech is BIG NUMBERS IS BETTER, but in this case is the price hike worth it for an home lab? I'm not by any mean poor, so 20$ is nothing.
>>
>>70590698
I wouldn't know how your unnamed backup software works.

Maybe just use borg or restic for your backups.

Or perhaps use wireguard and restrain whatever software you're using from using any interface other than the wirguard one in your firewall.
>>
>>70590853 (cont'd)
Another thing that might also work if you don't understand any of this too well is just to run your backups with syncthing (staggered versioning on the receiving end).
>>
>>70590529
thanks
at the moment I'm using a combination of lxc and docker, should be looking into k8 soon
>>
>>70590876
IMO k8s is usually too big for a home setup. Even with helm and stuff.

Docker-compose [usually with the respective compose files in some git repo], docker-swarm, and maybe ansible or salt or something usually fits far better.
>>
>>70591070 (cont'd)
BTW even microk8s, minishift, minikube [...] don't really make k8s+helm terribly sensible at home.

It's maybe a bit less annoying to deploy something that works, but they're basically still awkward, and you're quite unlikely to actually need them.
>>
What's a really cheap and "good" 1u/2u server? I'm doing cisco certs but want to tinker with basically everything networking. I have a 12u cabinet. So far going with 3550 switch + 2821 router.
>>
>>70569593
Most of those are junk. PIX are ancient, and even when they weren't; they were pretty bad. The 3550 might be okay if you can get the adapters and interface cards for it, but those can get overpriced REALLY fast.
Also all that shit is old. The only thing you listed I'd even consider taking (for free) is the 2811, and even those are pusing it.
Basically if it can't push 1GbE it's probably garbage.
>>
>>70539017
tl;dr - Recycle an old gaming PC, or buy a refurbished rack-mount server?

I've been working towards getting a good home server set up to support a variety of functions including but not limited to...

>automated backups of systems on the LAN
>archival of security camera footage from DVR
>media and file serving
>VM host for projects and experiments
>home automation hub running OpenHab
>hosting a Freenet node
>IRC bouncer
etc etc.

The first thing I needed to do to prepare was revamp my home network, and I'm just about done with that now. I've got a pair of managed switches, a router running OpenWRT, a piHole for DNS filtering, PoE to systems in other rooms where I couldn't run cable, and a new modem all linked up with fresh cat6 and powered by a pair of online-conversion UPS.

The last thing I need is the actual host to run all this shit on. Originally I was planning on using the PC that I've been using for my media center the last couple of years. It's a collection of recycled components from upgrades to gaming PC's assembled in a new case, and has been great as that. It's got a previous-gen AMD GPU and i5 with a small SSD as a boot drive and a couple HDD's for storage. To convert it to an always-on server, I was going to install all new fans, underclock it a little, and put in ~6 new 1-2TB HDD's in a RAID 50 array for performance/parity.

BUT....
>>
>>70592214
The drives will cost ~$200-300, but after looking into it I realized that the motherboard won't support RAID50. I would need to add a RAID controller, and prices on these are easily $100-300+. Then I stumbled upon some refurbished rack-mount servers on Newegg and it got me thinking. Would I be better off just buying one of those? For example....

>Dell PowerEdge R810
>4 x Xeon X7560
>64GB DDR3
>6 x 600GB 10K HDD
>$587

It's comparable in price to what I'd have to spend to get the media center up to par ayway. A cut to total storage capacity, but that could be expanded later as needed. It would also draw more power, but a lot of this stuff will be fed from a solar bank anyway. Single core performance is obviously going to be way below say, the 6700k in my gaming PC, but it's running 32-core and I wont be doing anything that produces super high single-core loads anyway.

There are also R815 Opteron systems at comparable price, and going outside Newegg you can find similar HP and Supermicro refurbs on eBay, etc. Would I be better off going this route? Anyone have experience using a cheap refurb'd server at home?
>>
Renting SBC clusters could be fun with virtualization layer, so you could go virtual sbc in cloud that have great "inter-machine" connectibility opposed to WAN interacting machines. No need for virtual box, for communication of "metainformation" around the universe. Allowing privacy using end to end ecryption, you actually don't store any data if you use something just for communication purposes. If individual defined use of their server power for stuff, he would choose for augumented shopping instead of "todays" form of advertisement.
Proxies and other stuff for long range interaction, like one big market with shitload of data, and even ownership properties. Peer-to-peer.

NAS is just fake if you can't run normal interface to database stored on disk on it.

AI trying to make best living conditions for you in a box somewhere on normal place, it's much more eco than big datacenters, because with this attitude you are more likely to get more workfullness ratio of how you interact with your data, because you'll be in charge.
>>
>>70592232
R710s are cheap. There's a few on Craigslist right now for like $500 with 12 cores, 144gb ram, and 6 3tb hard drives.
>>
>>70592358
What would be the advantage of going with a 2xE5640 or similar R710 over a 4xX7560 R810 system?
>>
If i have a router connected to a modem via bridge, does the modem still have it's own default gateway? and does my router have to send the info to that default gateway to get to the internet?
>>
>>70591852
>>70592214
Why not start smaller? One of the newer midrange ARM SBC (Odroid N2, Rock64Pro, ...) or low power consumption x86_64 (Ryzen or J5005 or whatever) should actually do the trick for most to all of this.
>>
>>70592232
>I would need to add a RAID controller
Nah, just use Linux' mdadm RAID. Or Snapraid or RAIDZ or one of the other solutions.
>>
>>70592777
Power, simplicity a bit, and the 710 takes 3.5" drives where the 810 doesn't.
>>
>>70592232
>>70593211 (cont'd)
Apart from that, why RAID50? It's such a weird RAID level to use - just use RAID6 or RAID5 with lvmcache on a SSD or something.
>>
>>70593170
The appeal of raw power, I suppose. I have the budget and at my job I work with systems running several thousand containers on dozens to hundreds of servers, so that's just where my mind went.

You've got a point though about starting smaller. After I posted I kept on reading and started to think maybe I'd be better off with multiple smaller units, which would make it easier to segment things that don't need to be external facing. I want to set up a DMZ and honeypot anyway, and would be better off keeping all the internal stuff firewalled off from the outside. That said, I DO want something rack mounted because half the gear I've got already is rack mount and I like the cleanliness of it.

>>70593237
RAID50 seemed like the right balance of performance and redundancy, but honestly the performance gain probably isn't that necessary and I'd likely not notice much difference from just doing RAID5. So that necessitates 4 bays in one machine, but the second for external facing stuff could get by with less.

Maybe I'd be better off with a pair of R310 / R410 instead of a monster like the R810.
>>
>>70593317
>That said, I DO want something rack mounted because half the gear I've got already is rack mount and I like the cleanliness of it.
You could duct tape many SBC into a 2U rack.

More seriously, a Ryzen 3 or J5005 or something not 100% power hungry. hot, loud and SRSLY POWERFUL is almost always a good thing to have for the many not so terribly taxing tasks that run 24/7, which includes basically all of you said so far (unless the VMs require a lot of processing power... but I assume they don't and that you only want a bit of RAM extra over a desktop setup).

> RAID50 seemed like the right balance of performance and redundancy
It pretty much always isn't. It's less storage efficient and ultimately the faster writes are not manifesting themselves that much on md RAID or whatever, never mind for bursts they're never as fast as having one or more cache SSD (which arguably change the redundancy guarantee a little - but THAT is generally far faster).
>>
Equipment coming in slowly
>>
>>70593434
Alright, I think you've talked me down to something like an R410 with L5630. 40W TDP, 4 bays so I can run RAID 5, and still cheaper and more efficient than the other stuff I was looking at including the recycled gaming PC.

The stuff I didn't mention in my original post was occasional rendering and the hosting some web applications and game servers, but those are longer term ideas anyway so I can always step up if needed.

I'm probably going to end up spending a bunch of time combing through prices and building a spreadsheet or something before I make a final choice, but I'm leaning Xeon L-series at this point over X or E series stuff.
>>
I want to host my own mail server for throw away emails. What do you guys suggest? I want something light and simple.
>>
>>70594133
Raspberry Pi 3 B+
>>
Thinking of getting into FreeNAS. If I have six 8-TB drives in a raidz2 array, what about off-site backup? Do I really need to use an ENTIRE second FreeNAS computer with ANOTHER six drives for the replication task? Buying twelve 8-TB drives feels like overkill (though I already have three).
>>
>>70594440
>Buying twelve 8-TB drives feels like overkill
Clarification: Buying twelve 8-TB drives and building two separate computers, only one of which is actually used on a regular basis, feels like overkill.
>>
>>70594440
Back up is for pussies.
>>
can i sync my miband 3 data to home-assistant automatically, i want it to know wether im asleep or not. data should not pass through any sort of cloud or foreign server.

also im kind of fed up with this closed crap, is there a smartwatch that is open source friendly?
>>
>>70539210
What are you up to with them
>>
File: 1434310342405.png (217 KB, 393x489)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>70583729
I decided to abandon deluge and go with rtorrent + rutorrent so I can use rss feeds through a webui. It ended up taking 2.8GB of space which still seems big to me but I'm not sure.

>>70594440
You could just set up a rsync task to backup your files to a offsite machine.
>>
>>70594521
there is probable no purpose for this except for learning to set up a cluster, maybe if sensors are attached something can be thought of for home automation
>>
>>70594694
>which still seems big to me but I'm not sure.
Well, yes. It's like 2x the size of a full linux live iso including the torrent clients, and the rutorrent docker image is slightly less than 200MB.

[I also think it's still bigger than the corresponding nix/guix environment even if you had nothing installed before.]

But maybe you can't simply fix this just now... unless you'd use docker?
>>
>>70594440
> Do I really need to use an ENTIRE second FreeNAS computer with ANOTHER six drives for the replication task?
You need an equal amount of storage, and on a large backup of course raid5/6 or related is advisable.

Whether you can save any storage with zstd or something compression, I couldn't tell.
>>
>>70594475
>also im kind of fed up with this closed crap, is there a smartwatch that is open source friendly?
There are open sauce android clients for the mi band. One of them is Gadgetbridge, I don't remember other names but I think there were more.

I also don't know if they can somehow exchange data with home-assistant without you coding that functionality yourself.
>>
HSG Gurus...... Raid Z or Raidz2 with 6x 4tb clusters
>>
>>70595854
I'd go with mdadm RAID6 on Linux. That way you can add the 7th drive as-needed, and it runs faster on lesser hardware anyhow.

Well, if you must have ZFS, 2 drives redundancy are obviously safer, because you only react with the drive replacement a moment after you realize the first has failed. It's better to still be safe while you get a replacement and recover the array.
>>
File: 1475969026082.jpg (36 KB, 400x320)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>70595854
>mfw I have that same case
>>
>>70595661
I'll take a look into docker. Right now I might just keep using this so I can have something up and running before the weekend.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.