[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 373m4d1do2xx.jpg (309 KB, 600x600)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
So I'll make a program that compiles Assembly into C.
>>
Good luck with that
>>
>>69317284
Such a magical reverse engineering tool would be revolutionary.
>>
>>69317284
Why not just write C and translate to assembly on every system?
>>
>>69317284
Hex-Rays Decompiler already exists
>>
>>69317284
It's always the fucking frog poster
>>
>>69317284
hexrays ida pro is what you're looking for anon
and probably other disassemblers that do it
>>
>>69317726
not OP, but where can I get hex-rays decompiler for free?
>>
>>69317439
>>69317726
Pshaw, it doesn't even decompile it into executable C. I'm making an actual compiler that will translate Assembly into real C code, which you can then recompile and redistribute.
>>
>>69317436
You might be on to something. We'll need a logo.
>>
It'll mostly be about detecting sys calls and replicating their behavior across platforms.
>>
>>69317284
>assembly isn't portable!
I never got this meme. If you want to assemble source code for another architecture, you find another assembler that can - or just use macros to do the same thing. It's not any different then C where you might need to find another compiler for some obscure architecture, and a lot of compilers were only designed for a particular architecture, anyway.
>B-BUT MUH PORTABILITY
So? At the end of the day, all software is non-portable - try running 8 or 16 bit programs on computers today, even for processors in the same architecture family that the smol bit stuff was written for. It simply won't run because it's too old. Saying higher level languages are portable, is like trying to argue it's one minute more portable then something else. Eventually all software will need to be remade or updated to actually retain any sense of "portability" that autists screech over.
>>
>>69318551
Based
>>
You can easily make a macro-meta-assembler unifying different register name conventions, instructions and provide some meta-instructions. Plan 9 assembler did that and Go assembler as well.

C is too high-level to reliably describe assembly programs, hell it abstracts registers and loading memory for starters
>>
>>69319433
int rax = 0 //mov rax, 0
rax += 1 //add rax, 1
>>
>>69317284
I literally had the same thought for like a few days ago but then i realized how fucking retarded it was so i didn't even try to pursue it. God damn it anon just write C.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.