[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: wdg_imac_coffee_shop.jpg (98 KB, 646x700)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
What's everyone working on?

Previous thread: >>69249091

>COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
https://www.freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
https://javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further resources
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

>Learn anything not covered by the above tutorials
https://hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
https://learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)

>Asking questions
https://jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
https://3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
https://pastebin.com/gfBPg24A
>>
How do you handle timeouts, /wdg/?
>>
File: fidget-spinner-teeth.jpg (82 KB, 640x513)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Alright niggas, I'm familiar with programming desktop software, now I'd like to get started on bots. Specifically, internet crawlers. I figure, there are probably bot frameworks or IDEs or libraries or whatever. Anyone can comment on those?

In a previous thread, someone mentioned Lisp, but it would still require me to program the actual bot from the start, wouldn't it?
>>
>>69288087
What is your purpose with the crawling?
>>
File: 1528411094587.jpg (596 KB, 1600x1600)
596 KB
596 KB JPG
Boomer here, i'm back.

Why do zoomer webdevs write their websites in some weird abstracted form and then "build" them into webpages? It's not like you're actually compiling anything.
>>
>>69288087
I built a non-trivial webscraper with Scrapy. I recommend it.
>>
>>69288076
What do you mean? Like setTimeout in JS? Like web request timeouts? In either case, what specifically are you talking about?

>>69288087
Some sites have APIs for bots, e.g. Discord. Other sites you just need to send HTTP POST requests to an endpoint, essentially imitating whatever a browser does on a website. Plus GET requests for grabbing content.

If you don't know about HTTP requests, here's an explanation of some of the basics:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Overview

That's the broad strokes of the conceptual stuff you need to know. After that, things are more specific for individual sites, so you'll either need to look up guides for making bots on those sites, or find the API docs for those sites, or reverse engineer how those sites work on your own.

>>69288395
>some weird abstracted form and then "build" them into webpages
Are you talking about backend frameworks for dynamic sites? Or frontend frameworks? Or just like templating engines in general? Can you give me a concrete example of what you're talking about?
>>
>>69288467
>Are you talking about backend frameworks for dynamic sites? Or frontend frameworks? Or just like templating engines in general? Can you give me a concrete example of what you're talking about?

I'm talking about writing your websites to be built through NodeJS. I'm currently messing around with Vue and they explicitly recommend vue-cli or webpack as opposed to "stand-alone" (ie. just writing your HTML/CSS by hand).

If I got this route, will I be able to output partial template files or will insist on only building valid/complete HTML?
>>
>>69288467
>>69288587
by websites I mean static HTML pages. I already use the template package in Go, this isn't going to change.
>>
>>69287603
Could you post the original /wdg/ image? I might try and contribute some silly op pics.

Also may I just state that react-native is the biggest piece of shit ever made.

> B..but we wont have to learn Swift

Ya but I could have mastered Swift in the time I spent chasing all these goddamn compilation errors. The ride never ends. Fuck react-native and fuck facebook
>>
File: 46d.png (200 KB, 692x390)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>69288395
30 yo boomer here

IDK about Zoomers, but there is not much wrong with SCSS. Im using React/ES6 which is ...ok... I'd rather do projects in vanilla JS but React is flavor of the month in all the tech companies so Im stuck with it for work right now
>>
>>69288756
So the whole point of the build environment stuff is for SCSS?
>>
>>69288410
Seems like what the doctor ordered. If we had spoilers I'd post tits in return.

>>69288252
Mostly, just data gathering. My first project would be to try to find bot- and shill-rings in Twitter by cross-referencing the people they follow, like, comment on etc. Seriously, you have no idea how damn many profiles in social media are fake.

>>69288467
I'm familiar with the occasional requests and APIs, the issue is in handling a million simultaneous requests, organizing all the information and all that grunt work. That's what I figure a IDE/framework/library/whatever would cover.
>>
>>69288854
SCSS and compiling ES6 to plain JS because browsers cant run ES6.

But I pretty much agree, Webpack and build packaging is generally awful. Id rather just do plain JS than React/ES6 compilation
>>
>>69288854
>>69288967
>>69288756
>>69288395

You people are fucking idiots
>>
>>69288997
t. Zoomer
Get off my lawn faggot
>>
Would an european company paid me re-location if i'm junior and not living in europe?

>Company in EU is looking for juniors
>"Relocation paid"
>Relocation from america isn't as cheap as relocation from an EU country.
>>
>>69288967
you know you don't actually have to "compile" it to use it? At least you don't with Vue. I'm just wondering if I should bother with the build stuff, and I can't figure out why I should.

Also from what I understand all modern browers support ES6.
>>
I feel good with Javascript but feel like i should learn another language for jobs... i already know C++ (Did like 8months on it and a few games on SDL), should i go for Java or C#? or try with something new like Go?
>>
should I start my web dev journey by reading sicp and learning C?
>>
does js use OOP? I've seen that shit in languages like java and php and the whole object concept is confusing as hell
>>
>>69288587
>writing your websites to be built through NodeJS
Having a compilation/build step can be helpful because you can use ES6 and newer features and compile them down to ES5 with Babel, and at the same time you can package all your JS dependencies into a single file and uglify/minify that.

>vue-cli or webpack as opposed to "stand-alone" (ie. just writing your HTML/CSS by hand)
I don't know a ton about Vue, so correct me if I'm wrong in some places, but as far as I understand it:
You need to have a build step if you want to write your components in .vue files. Otherwise you can only use string-based templates within your JS files, and your HTML files need to be valid.

>>69288692
Pic related

>>69288967
Most browsers can run ES6 just fine. It's really just a few old versions of browsers that a handful of people still use. However, JSX code in React projects need to be compiled with Babel or whatever, since JSX isn't a standard, just a thing Facebook created.
>>
>>69289092
Yes, you don't have to use it if you don't want, but don't expect to get that far without it.

Anyway, it isn't that hard anon desu, once you get used to it, you will love it... i have to admit it is hard at first, but then it becomes easy and great!

Don't give up.
>>
Anyone know why socketio works in Chrome but not FireFox? In FireFox, I get "Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at ...".
>>
>>
>>69289105
Thank you OP
>>
>>69289105
>Most browsers can run ES6 just fine. It's really just a few old versions of browsers that a handful of people still use.
Ya but for enterprise development everyone is expected to support crap versions of IE.

Also some people run there JS through minifiers before shipping it to make it smaller
>>
>>69288953
aren't there a thousand shill detecting bots already? I'd love to see one that works in 4chan but I guess that's impossible unless everyone suddenly becomes a tripfag
>>
>>69290354
Yeah, but they try to be one-size-fits-all, and end up being terrible. I noticed the patterns of shills and bots change a lot according to country and subject, so I figure a more tailored detector could work much better.
>>
>>69289105
I got around to putting my traditionally written code into the webpack. I really like how minifies and merges everything down. Though, the fact that a default minimal template is 200MB is extremely cancerous.
>>
Currently learning my way around rails. Is it a waste of time? Not looking to make a career out of it just a quick and easy way to make small web apps.
>>
>>69290644
then you're wasting your time. Just use a static site generator like hugo or gatsby. Rails is dead
>>
>>69290680
Are those the js equivalent of rails? I want to do more than generate static pages, ie communicating with other rest apis, backend for mobile apps etc
>>
>haven't heard from Job application since December 1st when I applied despite contacting people I'm connected to multiple times as well as cold emails
Kill me, I was qualified for the job too.
>>
>>69290982
>have put in at least 15 applications to different companies since november
>only 1 phone interview where the recruiter told me my resume, communication and tech skills were all good, but they found someone better
>tfw graduated from uni in december and i'm twiddling my thumbs and trying to learn more shit

I know where you're at my man.
>>
File: 1517882997603.jpg (166 KB, 956x566)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
What do? I left it overnight and mysql was full of these errors, I made more space available and the application that was making the INSERTs continued normally but the files are still there...
>>
>>69291136
>be in interview, seems like its going well.
>tech lead's voice seems to indicate he wants to hire me
>manager maybe doesn't, can't tell
another failed interview where i can only be left to guess why. or maybe they just really liked the other guy better.
also I really fucking hate super generic questions like "how do you debug something". I dunno i just fix it. do you really want me to list every problem solving tool i've learned over the years? say "i know what a debugger is?" fucking hell
>>
>>69290744
a static site generator won't serve as a backend with a database. by definition its static. rails is a fine choice for what you're trying to do as long as you don't expect it to scale into a giant complex system. other choices are django/flask for python, spring/play for java/scala and you can roll your own with go. bad choices are perl and php because they create buggy and hard to read code for the purpose of CRUD web apps
>>
File: found_on_road_dead.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
how can I convert a .tex file into a pdf for a website? The goal is to take user inputs and generate a pdf. Is my only option to do execute a shell command?
>>
>>69291956
send the input to a PDF API. ive never used one, but there are many
>>
>>69291136
>>69290982
>15 job apps is a lot
buckle up fellas
>>
does chrome not support "image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast" anymore? i remember using it to make images less blurry when downscaled but it makes no difference now
devtools suggests a few other values for the css property but the only one that makes any difference is "pixelated" which is too sharp
using chrome 71 on linux btw (tried with gpu acceleration on and off, not using any exotic ricer flags)
>>
File: 1540313652937.jpg (1.07 MB, 971x1122)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>69288087
Read the docs for python beautiful soup
>>
cc bois
>>69291947
>bad choices are perl and php because they create buggy and hard to read code for the purpose of CRUD web apps
>writes bad PHP Code
>blames the languages
aww
>>
>>69288076
>How do you handle timeouts, /wdg/?
Patiently sit in the corner as instructed until they're over
>>
>>69290551
200MB?

What do you mean? I don't think I have any 200MB files in my build
>>
I feel like I really get interviews. But I also, left to my own devices, would challenge interviewees to a game of 7card-stud, so
>>
>>69291947
>rails is a fine choice for what you're trying to do as long as you don't expect it to scale into a giant complex system

Can you give a more recent example than Twitter to prove that rails doesn't scale well, or are you still harping on rails for something that happened a decade ago and making the assumption that no improvements have been made in the last 3 major releases?
>>
>>69290644
Probably wasting your time. I'm biased cause I'm a JS Dev, but I think python is the way to go. /g/ shits on python, but it's just more flexible and common than Ruby. Chef is dead and RoR is next on the chopping block. Abandon ship, consider PHP even, that shit ain't going anywhere. Or Microsoft .net if youre into massochism and cuckoldry
>>
>>69293635
What do you mean by "more flexible"? Where do you think all the rails devs and software are going to go?
>>
File: 1235649841651.jpg (22 KB, 480x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>69293687
>>
File: quit-shitpoting.jpg (64 KB, 600x706)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>69289105
Thanks again

> 9000 hours in MSPaint
>>
>>69293887
Lol, nice. I'll definitely use this
>>
>>69293687
>What do you mean by "more flexible"? Where do you think all the rails devs and software are going to go?
I mean RoR is a very strict framework. Python at least has the options of Django for a comparable framework and flask for very fast
and lightweight projects. And python is used for data crunching, server scripting, google apis, and more. Python is just the more established language. Nothing wrong with Ruby exactly, I even bought and partially read a book on it. But python is the same thing but better at this point. It already has a good share of the market and its still growing.
>>
>>69293635
I spent the last hour looking at node and express. I like this level of simplicity. Not sure how I feel about JavaScript though. But at least I understand what's happening where as with rails I'm just trying to remember shit I read in a tutorial.
>>
>>69294256
https://7chan.org/pr/src/OReilly_JavaScript_The_Good_Parts_May_2008.pdf
Read this so you understand how to avoid JavaScripts pitfalls, it defines a subset of the language that is actually enjoyable to work with.
>>
>>69293565
my build is tiny, but my node_module is 170MB.
>>
>>69287603
How fast could a decent webdev recreate DSiPaint.com (but for phones) using the lavarel framework?
Are lavarel + bootstrap a good combo?
I've only made things similar by hand configuring a LAMP server, and writing all my php from scratch, but someone I only somewhat respect told me
"It's not 2002 anymore bro learn a fucking framework watching you dev whole websites like that is hurting my soul"

Is this person full of shit?
Asking for my cat.
>>
>>69295061
would do it rather with express.js than laravel. Node is more flexible and faster, don't see the point of using php frameworks anymore...

It's not that php can do something magically different than node...
>>
File: 4858725352765372.jpg (31 KB, 500x375)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Will it be worthless if learn React now? Will it be obsolete by Vue or whatever in the next 1 - 2 years?
>>
>>69295363
>Will it be obsolete by Vue or whatever
doubt it. React does things differently than vue/angular.

As far I know, you need to write html with vue+angulare, whereas in react you write everything in JS except the wrapping div.

I don't know why vue/angular even exists. Having to create 2 files instead of one like a virgin incel..
>>
>Rails
>Quick and easy small web apps
Quick and easy, Rails is an absolutely fine choice. It was practically made for rapid prototyping.

However you'd probably be better off with a static site generator then communicating via REST API unless you want Rails' ecosystem (Active Record, Action Mailer, Active Storage, etc and all those gems for whatever you need.)
>>
>>69295505
meant for >>69290644
>>
Where can I get good .psd templates to practice html and css?
>>
File: 1522934317646.jpg (83 KB, 337x367)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>69295951
>psd templates to practice html and css
Is that a thing?
>>
>>69296056
I think he's talking about .psds of website designs that he can practice converting into DOM.
>>
>>69295363
wtf are you talking about
react is the standard and will be it in at Least next 5 years
>>
File: 23525325253.png (17 KB, 1600x800)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
So is Firebase here to stay? Months ago i thought it was a meme but most new courses include it and people keep talking about and i heard its insanely fast, is it that good? I also heard its prices are fucking retarded tho
>>
>>69296303
Serverless is here to stay.
Providers of any service come and go. However Firebase is owned by google so yeah it's likely to stick around.

I would never use serverless though. I like having control of the back-end
>>
>>69296382
What does Firebase have to do with serverless, you can still connect to mongoDB or SQL hosted on the cloud if you are going serverless
>>
>>69287603
if my backend is located at domain app.fag.com, can i issue cookies for other domains like google.com or whatever?
>>
>>69296977
No.
>>
>>69289031
Fairly sure they are only interested in europeans (freedom of movement no visa shit)
>>
>>69296303
I bet firebase is just an minimal node server running, using sockets to comunicate with clients.

I could create my own firebase server lol, so why does everyone use google and feed them their data?
>>
>>69289031
just ask them
>>
>>69296303
yes it makes a lot of money for google why wouldnt it stay
>>
>>69297174
Great, then do it yourself and sell it for cheaper than firebase and make millions.

>>69288997
It's just one fag who thinks spamming buzzwords is a good replacement for humor.
>>
>>69297352
I already do it myself for mobile apps and my services idiot.

It is not a general purpose solution like firebase, but that makes it even better for my needs, since it's 100% customisable.
>>
>>69297434
you have your own firebase server for mobile apps?
>>
File: niVG4[1].jpg (22 KB, 432x308)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
I'm building a toast notification system and after a signup I want to show a toast notification saying "Signup successful!".

I'm thinking of ways to go about this. An obvious choice would be after the signup, I add a record to the database, which is then pulled on the next successful pageload and displays the "queued" notification.

However, this seems like it would be extremely heavy on the DB.

Would PHP sessions be a good way to temporarily store these instead?

Please hit me with suggestions.
>>
>>69297507
I'd just store them locally on the client.
>>
>>69289782
JUST
>>
>>69297524
Hmm, I guess localstorage might be a good idea. I don't know how I'm going to handle a no-js fallback though. I really don't like adding query variables in my URLs.
>>
>>69297613
>no-js fallback
Just don't bother. People who have JS disabled by default know that it breaks sites and how to fix them.
I'm one of them.
>>
>>69297444
yes, something built with similar technologies
-express js
-websockets

As I said before, it is specific purpose, since I built it for myself. It is also trivial to build too..

I don't trust google. They are a data mining company.
>>
Absolute illiterate here. I'm trying to write a discord bot, which is apparently java based. What IDE would you guys reccomend me to write it in?
>>
>>69297732
Why not write it in python instead? Much, much easier.
>>
>>69297732
What makes you think it's java based? It's an open API, you can use any language.
>>
>>69297732
Just use a bot framework instead.
>>
>>69297751
>>69297759
>>69297760
According to this, I can use any language, correct?
Does this mean I can try it even in C++? (Given that's the only programming language I know even the basics of)
>>
I had some problems with npm recently, solved, but I want to know why the fuck this happened. Basically, none of my npm start commands were working, and I was getting a huge error. To discuss the problem, you'd need to know the file structure, which was:
code/project_dir
running 'npm start' in
project_dir
was throwing errors, because there was a
node_modules
folder locked in code/. I don't remember how it got there, but why the fuck would that interfere with other directories?
>>
>>69288087
You could use Python for Web/Networking:

Selenium could be used to mimic human use of a web browser
https://medium.com/the-andela-way/introduction-to-web-scraping-using-selenium-7ec377a8cf72

(I like to also use Scapy for TCP/IP stuff)
>>
can you get jobs knowing nodejs? I've used it for years because it's so simple but it seems only small companies use it or large companies use it but in a limited capacity in addition to other backend languages. So I mean are there jobs where all you do is express.js and some frontend. That'd be such a comfy job.
>>
Getting ready to launch my first python/flask webapp. Been building websites for a living for 7 years and finally have my own project that I think will *actually get used*

Any recs on hosting? I was going to use pythonanywhere just because it's really easy to set up, but it's about $120/y. I pay for a deluxe hosting package with godaddy but I don't think I can run a python/flask site on it
>>
>>69297912
>So I mean are there jobs where all you do is express.js and some frontend

Thats literally the most popular thing right now, full stack node.js + react or some shit.
>>
In mvc framework architecture is there a function to check which classes are initiated on the page, and/or which method are called?

New to mvc, trying to understand mvc logic and workflow.(I'm using a mini framework just a very very basic build mvc). Would be cool to check which code, which classes functions methods are currently running.

Is there a way I can check that?
>>
>>69297638
>and how to fix them
how the fuck do you fix it dude? do you code the functionality of every page each time you find a good website or what?
>>
>>69298425
It's much more simple, I just selectively enable JS. Or allow all JS.

I don't allow random pages I get to to run it, hence it's disabled by default.
>>
>Most IT jobs are in another city
>I live in a small town
>Don't have enogh money to move on
>tfw can't get my first job
>tfw can't work remote neither bc junior
>>
i have a real problem bros

i started webdev last year, started earning money and supporting my family, but..

as the jobs were harder and harder coffee wasn't enought, started chuging energy drinks. then that was also not enough. started adderall, even snorting it. now my back hurts i take a shitload of painillers and weed.

started drinking because of stress, addicted to all kinds of shit now. webdving is ruining my life desu. how do you guys deal with this shit. i really need help
>>
>>69297915
DigitalOcean.

it's like 5 dollars a month.
>>
>>69298566
Slack off at work.
>>
>>69297915
digitalocean, linode, vultr
>>
>>69298530
Same situation, will just grind tutorials and have a 1 hour commute i guess
>>
>>69298530
what country? i started from home as a total noob, just had to go to the company HQ to sign some papaers every 2-3 months
>>
>>69297434
And as I said, sell those specialized solutions and you would make millions who also don't want firebase because it's too general.
Granted you aren't talking out of your ass right now.
>>
File: the yale thing.jpg (93 KB, 947x404)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>69287603
I understand how asynchronous javascript works (at least I know how it uses a callback queue and the web api for concurrency) but I don't know how/when to use them. Can anyone possibly point me to a good source that covers callbacks, promises, and async/await?
>>
>>69292166
I'm
>>69290982
And I applied to about 3,000 jobs these past 2 years. It's just that the recent job I applied to was literally so perfect for me since I literally qualify for everything they asked for
>>
>>69298566
Ur dumb.
>>
File: 1545082619095.jpg (114 KB, 736x1094)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>69287603
>24 years old
>self-taught meme
>been making shitty apps and working in front-end and back-end for around 10+ years.
>have a bunch of git repos
>webpage and a server where I publish my work.
>I work in eCommerce and I rarely get to use the software I develop at home.
>I don't feel worthy enough to call myself a programmer or a developer.

I enjoy my hobby and I want to use these skills at work but they are almost never needed.
Do you guys think there's a future for me??
I'm in a rut fellas.
>>
File: 3529238327523.jpg (141 KB, 1079x1280)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
So exactly why shouldn't the Context API from React be used for big applications? Because i am loving using it and i don't want, ever,EVER to go back to fuckface bloat garbage cancer aids Redux
>>
>>69299253
what is there to sell you fucking idiot. It is not rocket science to implement it with existing libraries.

If there was a market for it (besides Google's data mining business strategy), Microsoft, Redhat or any other big company would have stepped in by now.
>>
Is jQuery actually garbage? First time using it, and I am not looking forward to learning any more of this.
Every chain becomes 15functions long just like that, and all the time. It's completely unreadable.
>>
>>69299753
Yes, but all code is like that.

jQuery is garbage because it doesn't do much extra for you in 2018 and has a huge file size, and isn't compatible with modern things like react.

It's OK for basic vanilla DOM manipulation shit
>>
PHP will outlive you. Prove me wrong faggets
>>
File: rxrh7um06y821.png (140 KB, 848x600)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
is this a wrong way to do things?

>get the username from another table after getting a list of status
>>
>>69294702
I'm not the anon you replied to but I'm also a beginner and I'd like to ask an stupid question: a book from 2008 really teaches you to avoid JS pitfalls? ES6 is the version everybody uses nowadays, it was launched in June 2015, 7 years after this book
>>
>>69300521
Yes for many reasons, not even just that.
>>
>>69300708
>many reasons
such as?
>>
>>69288467
Say for example that I want to issue a credit card charge via a request, but I get a timeout and have no real way to know if the charge went through, nor do I have any response data to make a quey about it's state. What is the common procedure in these cases? Stripe handles these events by using idempotency keys, I was just wondering what other ideas I could get from here.
>>
>>69287603
So, are Smashing Books good?

Are they outdated? Do I need to read in order?

If I read 4 and 5 am I okay?
>>
>>69300724
Basically everything is wrong except for using an arrow function.

I can't be bothered typing it out, go do a basic react tutorial on udemy or something.
>>
>>69301222
>Basically everything is wrong
>Yes for many reasons

fuck off
>>
node.js or python in 2019, for job opportunities and hobby projects? Or is there another meme language now that's even better?
>>
Wowww is this a fucking joke?

https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
>>
>>69301590
>Tfw already incorporated most of that stuff in my path simply because I wanted to get better/its the professional thing to do
Kek, pajeet coders.
>>
>>69301590
This isn't that bad, as a developer you'll run into a lot of these things naturally as you build different things.
>>
I have two divs with the same parent that are both set to width:30% but one is about one pixel larger than the other when zoomed in or out (very noticeable due to border). the fuck's going on here?
>>
>>69300704
ES6 is just a handful of features on top of ES5. The fundamentals are still good to know and still pretty much applicable.

And then once you know that, you can learn the ES6-specific stuff, like arrow functions, promises, proper classes(instead of simple constructor functions), let/const, etc.

Also maybe some ES5 stuff since I don't think ES5 was out at the time of this book. There's some stuff listed here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/New_in_JavaScript/1.8.5
Plus some array stuff like forEach, map, filter, reduce.

>>69301590
What's your issue with it?
>>
>>69301759
What do you mean “about” one pixel? Probably just a rendering bug, percentages don’t always convert well to clean pixels
>>
>>69301759
>>Asking questions
>https://jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
>>
>>69301800
for example, currently one is 336.891 pixels while the other two are a clean 336. all the padding and stuff is the same, the one just has a slightly wider width. why is it able to render two correctly and then get the other wrong? it only happens at certain zoom/resizes too
>>
Guys, I finally did it.
I passed an interview and got a fucking job as a Junior Frontend Developer in a med company in my city.
After 5 months learning stuff 6 hours per day including weekends, christmas and new year holidays completing the tasks and courses from freeCodeCamp, my work and sacrifice finally bare fruits.

I really want to thank the people who helped me with a bunch of questions a couple of months ago. From the bottom of my heart, thank you guys. I don't care what the fuck the whole world think about you, I believe you guys are fucking awesome.

Thanks
>>
>>69301773
oh, I got it. I know webdev moves very fast and because of my lack of broader knowledge in the field I end up worrying too much about minor details
thanks anon!
>>
how do I hide the scrollbar for all browsers?
can be either pure CSS or using Jquery, I'm no puritan
>>
>>69301800
>>69301759
said fuck it and switched to flexboxes and got it sorted out. a bit curious about what was causing the issue, but don't worry about responding
>>
>>69301855
Congrats anon! I'm gonna be sending out my resume about 6-7 months from now so I hope to have the same success. What were your interview questions if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>69301376
check your local job listing site. whichever have more demand
>>
>>69301855
can you share what kind of projects you did. I am now trying to build some projects but can't think of any
>>
>>69294704
Oh gotcha. Ya I havent checked the size of all the npm packages I download but its almost certainly bigger than my app itself by an order of magnitude.
>>
>>69301941
there is no universal way. firefox introduced new features in last update for manipulating scrollbars i do;t know about chrome.
>>
File: crying.jpg (50 KB, 800x450)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>69301590
>https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>pick a framework
>required
>>
How do you webdevs feel about people who look down on you like webdev is not hardcore enough?
>>
>>69302099
>>69299753
they're largely correct
>>
>>69300521
Well for one, you're going to want to make that fetch users request take all the user Ids at once so you arent calling it in a loop a bunch of times.
>>
>>69301366
I don't even know where to start dude, literally everything is wrong like I said.

You're not following any conventions, every single part of your code is incorrect and not what I would expect to see, you're mutating state directly for some reason, you're using a for loop by initialising i beforehand..using var.

You're creating a temp array to then just end up overriding it every single time by mutating it directly instead of pushing to it..Inside a loop...Using [i] to access the for loop so it's literally only ever going to be whatever the last element is..

You're even using a bad design for your API, you should just use a post request and send the ID instead of having to do any of this shit. You should just be able to fucking send the ID and use the retun an object that you can assign directly to state without having to specify every single key/value pair every time.

Using var and mutating everything directly all the time, very very bad practise.

Not using proper camelcase.

Setting state inside a loop that is inside another loop, so every time this happens you'll rerender fuckloads of times causing huge lag.

Not to mention it's pretty unreadable and uses a bunch of dumb temp things and extra lines of code you don't even need
>>
>>69302004
Build a TODO app

... dont actually build a todo app.
>>
>>69297915
Im partial to AWS but it has more of a learning curve. First year free for a small server
>>
>>69302173
paste it in the URL bar and then you can write text on the screen

data:text/html,<body contenteditable style="font:2rem/1.5 \
monospace;max-width;margin:0 auto; padding:4rem;">
>>
>>69302173
what should i build then?
>>
>>69301967
They weren't that many and most part of the interview was talking about myself (why did I choose this
HTML+CSS
>Mention as many new tags from HTML5
>Describe the elements of the CSS box
>Which property is used to overlap elements in CSS
>How do you apply responsive web design?
JS
>Global scope and functions
>What's the difference between local and global variables
>Mention functions in JS that manipulate arrays
>Write a JS function that could get the values from a form they showed me

>>69302004
I recreated some of the project samples of the freeCodeCamp projects but with some differences.
>>
>>69302051
I have been learning REACT 3 days and honestly its not that bad
>>
>>69302234
>Write a JS function that could get the values from a form they showed me

getElementbyId?
>>
File: 1547125157450.png (1 MB, 1187x574)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>69295346
I love glorious php.
>>
>>69300521
cant you configure your api to get all that data at once..

for example 127.0.0.1/api/status?withUserData=true and handle this shit on serverside.

right now you are just spamming your own api endpoint unnecessarily.
>>
>>69302234
thanks dude for reply.
I guess i will create some freecodecamp projects then.
>>
>>69302248
yeah, something like this
function getFormvalue()
{
var x=document.getElementById("form1");
for (var i=0;i<x.length;i++)
{
if (x.elements[i].value!='Submit')
{
console.log(x.elements[i].value);
}
}
}
>>
>>69302234
>>Describe the elements of the CSS box
content -> padding -> border -> margin

>>Mention as many new tags from HTML5
Trick question, all anyone should use is html, body, p, span, div, table, and table related accessories. Anything else is for hippies

>>Which property is used to overlap elements in CSS
z-index? position absolute? IDK

>>How do you apply responsive web design?
Javascript onclick methods. hover selectors. js dragndrop methods. chaotically altering the DOM on a whim

>>69302232
IDK build something you like. Make an interactive story game. Or make a blog like site that you can post content on. Or aggregate some data from other sites
>>
>>69302232
>Face Smash
>Who's Hotter? Click to Choose.
>>
>>69302243
>>69302051
Yeah most frameworks just help keep your project modular and scalable.

>>69302234
Not too bad, I knew the most of the answers I just gotta keep myself current on the front end stuff since I don't work with it that much. Thanks!
>>
Entry Level Front End Web Developer
Requirements
>5+ years full time experience minimum
>Fluent in at least 4 JavaScript Frameworks
>Able to demonstrate from knowledge of lamba calculus during interview
>Must have graduated college between October 2018 and November 2018

Why are things like this?
>>
>>69302372
>>Able to demonstrate from knowledge of lamba calculus during interview
almost had me
>>
>>69295346
>It's not that php can do something magically different than node...

Not crash the entire server when a string can't be parsed into a number.
>>
>>69302372
>Fluent in at least 4 JavaScript Frameworks
topest of keks
>>
>>69302396
>not wrapping everything in try/catch statements to avoid this

yeah, stick to php... you are not advanced enough for javascript
>>
>>69302372
HR people are retards and don't know how to hire people, so they throw in a bunch of languages and experience requirements to scare away insecure devs. Just apply anyways.
>>
File: Taeler_Hendrix.webm (1.28 MB, 486x492)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB WEBM
Is there a place online where i can host my Microsoft SQL server(MSSQL) FOR FREE just so i and maybe one other person (my teacher) can use it? I have a assignment to make a database prototype but i want to create a basic REACT + Node site that uses it,i can just host the site on Heroku, problem is i don't have where to host the database.
>>
>>69302430
>HR: How do you expect such high pay, when you don’t have any experience for this position?
>Me: Well you see, job turns much harder when you don’t know what you’re doing!
>>
>>69302243
Ive been working in React at my current and previous company. There is nothing wrong with it exactly. I'd prefer to write more Vanilla JS though given the chance.

React and especially Redux is super boilerplate code. I get that people like the consistency aspect of it, but I inherited a lot of react/redux code from some junior devs when I got here and the way they laid out the project made me want to cry.

Consistency is something which is achieved through aggressive communication and standards within your team or your own self. Frameworks can help with that, but in my opinion, they are regularly misused and bulkier than is necessary.
>>
File: 1547128574234s.jpg (5 KB, 250x240)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>69302491
>Ive been working in React at my current and previous company.
what's the most complicated thing you had to do with React? do you put every little thing in its components?
>>
>PHP question
Let's say I have something like this:

<?php print_r($results['places']); ?>

which then outputs:
Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[ID] => 12555
[title] => House
[url] => img-of-house.jpg
)

[1] => Array
(
[ID] => 12556
[title] => Castle
[url] => img-of-castle.jpg
)

[2] => Array
(
[ID] => 12557
[title] => Apartment
[url] => img-of-apartment.jpg
)
)

I'm trying to specifically target the url of [1] only. But I'm having trouble. Any ideas?
If I write this I'll get the output from all url:

foreach ($results['places'] as $r) {
echo $r['url'];
}
>>
>>69302491
>React and especially Redux is super boilerplate code
I agree with Redux, thats why you just drop that shit and use the Context API
>>
File: mrbean.jpg (46 KB, 404x354)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>69302429
>catching critical system errors hat were MEANT to kill the thread
>>
>>69302519
foreach ($results['places'] as $r) {
if ($r['ID'] == 12556)
echo $r['url'];
}
>>
>>69302519
<?php print($results['places'][1]['url']); ?>

It will fail if the array index can't be found though.
>>
>>69302516
>do you put every little thing in its components?
not him, but I think this is a great practice. Since you can change the element throughout your project, without having to modify many files.

But again, depends on the element and if you want to have the ability to change it in the future

>>69302531
not downloading the NPM package which checks string before trying to convert it into number.

javascript is just too advanced for you bro.
>>
>>69302553
>>69302582
Ahh, okay interesting. Thank you. I was trying something by selecting [0],[1],[2] but wasn't quite getting there.

Appreciated m8s.
>>
>>69302600
>not downloading the is-odd and is-even packages because why the fuck not
>>
>>69302516
> do you put every little thing in its components?
This is a good question. Its a little bit arbitrary where you draw the line with 'container' components and all of the individual subcomponents they use.

I am biased towards having a bigger file and bigger component at this point. The main reason to split out subcomponents into their own file is if you plan on reusing them elsewhere. Like Ive made Buttons and TextInputs that are used all over the app for consistency. Even a sidebar that displays a filterable list of elements is a common component I use on a few pages.

The main index file for our inventory-restock page is 642 lines right now. It could probably be broken into a couple files, but I dont see the point. Ive been drawing the line at the page-level. Like if you have a form which spans 5 different segments and people click through each part, I have each of those pages be its own file and then have the main container/index.js file bring them all together.

>what's the most complicated thing you had to do with React?
Im not sure. I worked for zipongo . com at one point and they are a business-to-business company. Every single business we worked with wanted their own landing url, sometimes with their own proprietary Oauth or otherwise strategy for authenticating with us. That login scheme was a pain in the ass. Cookies, multiple urls, multiple different login strategies
>>
>>69302457
doesn't heroku have a free trial? google cloud gives you 300$ worth for free
>>
>>69302934
Heroku lets you upload databases?
>>
>>69302372
I've already gave an answer to this numerous times in /wdg/. Basically, this is the case because:
>Be hiring manager
>Post job for entry level developer
>Get flooded with resumes from people who just spent a week learning HTML/CSS
It's because people think they can spend a month learning basic shit, apply to a job offering $50k+/yr., and get hired. It's people like this who have pushed the job requirements to be so complicated.
>>
>>69303172
please stop with the whiteboard shit. i literally have 15 minutes of experience coding on a whiteboard in front of prying eyes. and why do you fucks have to be so anal about syntax on a whiteboard?
and why are you asking me about subclassing shit when composition is better practice?
>>
>>69303360
Web-dev jobs get whiteboard questions? What the fuck, what do they even ask

>Write this algorithm to retrieve data in REACT from a firebase database thanks you have 20 seconds
>>
>>69303393
i dunno but i got the "outer join" question 2 interviews in a row. i think they thought I was a moron because even in 2 years of experience i never used anything other than an inner join. i just know the venn diagram
i always got what i wanted so i don't get what the problem is
>>
>>69303422
if you come from a school you know how to do that shit
t. in school right now, but I fucking hate it, I want the NEET life and only doing shit if it's at work
>>
File: 1546999591631.jpg (36 KB, 640x535)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Okay guys I've mastered everything there is to master
how the fuck do I get a job now, i'm stuck
>>
>>69303561
my major was engineering i never took a database course though
>>
I was going to ask where I should look for webdevs for my team, but uh. Would any of you fine gentlemen be interested in a webdevs job in Oakland? I will ask whiteboarding questions and possibly questions about existential philosophy.

Completely serious
>>
>>69303632
>wanting a /wdg/ asspie on your team
Ayy, you a good man thouhg
>>
>>69301155
Everything in these books is ready available for free on the web and youtube.
>>
>>69303632
Pay?
>>
>>69303607
get a good book on it, that covers database theory and database practice, in depth, with complicated cases
>>
File: Golden.png (205 KB, 330x319)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
>>69303587
>how the fuck do I get a job now, i'm stuck
>>
>>69302457
are you you use MSSQL?
>>
>>69303911
Yes i i use MSSQL
>>
>>69303950
sorry I mean't to say "why are you using MSSQL?"

I honestly don't know how I typed that up so poorly. I think im going retarded.
>>
>>69303965
my University is under Microsoft so thats what are we gonna use with databases, also its the most popular SQL version behind oracle sql i think
>>
>>69303988
>most popular
That would be MySQL based on stats I've seen, and I'm not sure if those stats include MariaDB (which they probably should).
>>
>>69303950
Just use aws, they have a free trial, make a temp account even if you already used your credit
Also, they have a program where you can get credit if you're a student
>aws educate
>>
>>69304113
>get AWS
>accidentally exceed API/EC2 usage
>"here's the $500 dollars you owe us"
>>
>>69302600
I've made plenty of JS applications, but I don't want to make everything out of JS. Much less an entire website. In fact, I feel a deep discust I cannot fully describe. I always read every JavaScript and make sure I understand it entirely (fuck weird regex that gets me stuck for days) before I unblock it. I think to myself... how are there so many now?
Why do the JS files multiply on these websites year by year?
I will not even mention the evil tracking.
Web 3.0 was a mistake. If only an EMP did have the power to knock out the grid enough to cause lasting damage, because these abominations deserve to be put out of their misery one way or another. I feel so claustrophobic unless I know exactly what JS is running in my browser at all times. Not that knowing helps with the horrendous shit I see every time I browse the web.
It's like some halfwit developer went "call this, call that, call this..." without thinking first.

I visualize a website as a three dimensional breathing creature. Clearly js framework faggots do not have the same respect. I came to /wdg/ looking for bones, yet everyone here promotes disturbing cancers.

The more I think about it, UniserverZ and notepad have been my best friends for years now, and never let me down.

Frameworks are for faggots.
>>
File: 1547023004928.jpg (139 KB, 553x700)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>69302600
>javascript is just too advanced for you bro.
lmao
You confuse his inability to comprehend it's shit nature, with complexity.
>>
>>69304223
>that pic
we live in a society
>>
>>69304149
If you weren't a Microsoft cuck you could just rent a $5 VPS and install whatever DB you wanted on it.
>>
>>69304149
I forgot to mention the part where you use a prepaid card or get a temp credit card number from your bank like a real nigger so you protect yourself from that
>>
>>69304452
Also, you have to be pretty fucking rarted to get overcharged
>>
>>69304470
>rarted
>>
>>69302642
about :
>>69302582

it won't fail even if the index doesn't exist if you use Null Coalesce Operator

<?= $results['places'][1]['url'] ?? 'default value';

requires php 7+
RFC : https://wiki.php.net/rfc/isset_ternary
>>
>>69301759
>>69301800
answer was this, if anyone's curious. turns out it was a webkit bug

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31719624/displaytable-div-with-percentage-width-1px-bug
>>
File: 1541047476688.jpg (25 KB, 680x327)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
This is the query phpBB uses to determine wether the username being cleaned up has a duplicate already in the DB, how do I stop it from thinking a _ is a space
https://pastebin.com/baJ14nrn
>>
>>69303706
But Ill need to look for everything. It wont be organized.
>>
>>69304719
_ in a like query means "any character", so _ and a space is valid.
Make their sql_escape function escape _ to \_
>>
>>69304719
>>69304822
oh, or just easier, use = instead of like.
>>
trying to learn php/mysql login systems, got the basics mostly figured out but I wanna try something a bit more fun

say, something that checks permissions and allows you to enter certain parts of the site based on your role (like, doctors get access to all of the doctor pages, receptionists get access to all of the receptionist pages, and none get access to the other's pages)

can you point me in the right direction?
>>
Can anyone here design a platform architecture, given the technical spec?
>>
>>69304171
just use typescript then if you care this much
>>
guys i want to create a gaming website that utilises a video game API (IGDB) but i have no idea where to start when it comes to APIs. I've created the website layout in HTML & CSS but how do i get the API to start showing games and stuff on my site. I know i have to use other languages but how and which one.
>>
>>69293801
kek
>>69294184
is flask really only useful for light projects? I was thinking of learning that cause I honestly hated Django, I felt caged all the time, and it seems to take a lot of effort to make one simple thing that isn't included in its "batteries". Any good alternative for scalable, non lightweight projects? Maybe Pyramid?
>>
>>69305036
nothing wrong with flask
>>
>>69304978
yes
>>
>>69304149
>"here's the $500 dollars you owe us"
I have an AWS account for my company. Our monthly bill is less than 500 a month for five ec2 servers, 4 ELBs, two memory stores, s3 hosting, and cloud watch logging.
>>
>>69304880
pls respond
>>
>>69305378
why don't you google your problem my nigga

https://www.sitepoint.com/role-based-access-control-in-php/
>>
>>69305375
>Implying anyone cares about your antiques store in bumfuck nowhere.
Try hosting something with more than 10 visitors per month.
>>
>>69305375
>Our monthly bill is less than 500 a month
because you do baby tier programming. try having a million users a month
>>
>>69305414
t. GoDaddy internet defense force
>>
>>69305429
nice cope dude
>>
File: 1547021481407.jpg (63 KB, 640x853)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>69304982
Oh, I do sometimes.
>>
File: Capture.png (9 KB, 956x248)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>using shitty cloud hosting service because my boss is afraid of managing it himself
>notice that any project with heavy file access (big frameworks) are exponentially slower on the live server than our dev server
>do a quick disk i/o test
>fucking pic related
Do you know what could be causing, what can be done about this? The support from the company we are hosting from is not helpful.
>>
>>69305995
What language/setup are you using? How is it hosted?
>>
>>69295382
>t. react shitter that never tried angular
Angular is god send to web development
>>
>run the domains of millions of people
>can't even run your own website

https://www.home.neustar/

I watched this a few weeks ago as well. And their website was just as shit.
>>
>>69306717
It works properly in Chrome. But it doesn't work at all in Firefox.
>>
>>69306452
too bad it's dying
>>
>>69306452
>Angular
OH NO NO NO NO
>>
>>69306452
B8/10
>>
>>69303736
We might pay you after a year, otherwise you can thank us for the work experience.

J/K, but it ain't great for the area. Wed offer up to 110K for someone who is good.
>>
What's the workaround for memory leaks in React? I have an ajax call inside a component and the error message is killing me right now. Everything works fine besides that. I make a call to get the component, component renders and gets the additional info. Now, when I delete the component I go back to the previous page, it rerenders the old components just fine, but the one I deleted throws that error.

Removing the ajax call will fix it, but I kinda need it, because it would be an even greater bitch situation to not have it.

I tried doing some shit with componentWillMount and ShouldUpdate, but it went in all the wrong directions.
>>
>>69303632
>>69307273
>Wed offer up to 110K for someone who is good.
Define "good", and what is your tech stack requirements?
>>
>>69304880
have a column with user role and put a bunch of if/else statements in your code or in your routes, if user role is doctor, show penis button, instead show vagina button
>>
reminder, if you layout your react project like pic related you are the worst kind of person
>>
I write my code in notepad. Been doing it for a while because my laptop runs slower with the newer text editors.
>>
>>69307405
so you write "Hello World!"-tier programs?
>>
>>69307405
sublime isnt that much of a resource hog
neither is vim
>>
>>69305423
Can serve billions with a static site for under 500 a month ;)
>>
>>69307365
WHAT THE BEST LAYOUT then?
>>
>>69307531
Break it up by page or view. If you have 6 distinct views on your site, each should get it's own folder at the base level and have it's own styles, actions, reducer, and components declared in it. Index.js should be the container
>>
>>69307365
Come at me, bro.
>>
>>69304149
>>69305414
Have you actually ever used AWS?
>>
>>69308108
> actions
ok if its just common actions, but I know its not

> components
ok if its just common components, but I know its not

> containers
HISSSSSSS

> locales
ok

> misc
SUSPICIOUS

> pages
wtf why, how is this different from containers

> reducers
I have a reducers folder in my project and the only reducer in it is index.js. Each subproject has its own action file and that action files exports its relevant reducer. Autism at its finest.

> store
The candy store?

> util
based
>>
>>69307365
>>69308108
pls rate my redux layout lol
>>
>>69310426
also, IR is InterfaceReducer[name].. helps me quicly find interfaces for reducers in IDE lol
>>
File: 1541816120850.jpg (53 KB, 780x846)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>There are people hosting their todos, calculators etc. on their public github pages instead of just putting them in private on GitLab or BitBucket

Actually unironically Cringe
>>
>>69310573
>he doesn't know GitHub have private repositories now

OH NO NO NO NO

Also
>caring about meme projects
>not putting a license on more complex projects
>>
>>69310619
>GitHub have private repositories
for free?
>>
>>69310624
yes

>https://github.com/pricing

$0 per month:
>Unlimited public repositories
>∞Unlimited private repositories NEW
>3 collaborators for private repositories
>Issues and bug tracking
>Project management
>>
File: Untitled.png (58 KB, 1426x902)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
I need a javascript library to make tools for users to create their own connected charts/trees. Something similar to this. If anyone can offer some advice that would be great

https://www.firm24.com/structuurtool/
>>
>>69310641
Shit now i have to transfer all my projects from gitlab before it dies
>>
>>69310672
https://www.jointjs.com/

I've used this before, its pretty neat to make graphs and such
>>
>>69310698
This looks great I will try it , thanks
>>
>>69310251
> actions/components
They're fairly clean and separated from other logic.
> containers
It has layout wrappers plus headers and footers for desktop/mobile etc, technically they could be moved to components, but I prefer to have them separated for easy access.
> misc
Self-written plugins or things that are not available on npm/required patching.
> pages
It's the entry-points for each URL, aka what React Router points to.
> reducers
Sub projects?
> store
Not much of a candy store, it's just a single file inside with 20 lines of code.
>>
I'm working on a little microservices project at home. How retarded is it to basically share all the base application code (express app, database connection, logger, request, response and error handlers) as an NPM package and then each service just creates a router and attaches it to the skeleton app?
>>
>>69288587

Lear the difference between website, web page, (and this is key) web application.
>>
So now i have decided to learn php. After looking at job postings in local area.
So is laravel good framework to start with?
How do you structure your php code without using framework?
>>
>>69302457

github has a bunch of free stuff for students I think 50$ of digital ocean hosting is in that package.
>>
>>69312134
I dispute the idea that you need to make a single-page javascript monstrosity to make a "webapp".
>>
>>69298530
Just move. I moved 80 miles from my hometown for my first job.
Even if it sucks, just getting some experience opens you up to more opportunities later on.
>>
>your fe
>your be
>your pronoun

>angular
>elixir
>he/his/they
>>
>>69297775
Yes. It's a matter of interacting with HTTP api to send requests and receive messages via websocket
>>
I just read this article: https://campfirelabs.co/blog-1/2019/1/10/how-i-built-a-5000-per-month-side-project
and want a $5,000/month side project. It really does not seem that hard to accomplish. Who the hell wants to team up? $2,500/month each. (which is the first goal) There's seriously no need to strive for billions, like most people think. Why not just a decent fucking living, where we could quit our jobs and live like NEETS? I don't have any ideas in mind right now, so inb4 "code for free durr".
>>
What is the most efficient way to track active users on your website locally (Ie: "There are 100,00 users currently on gayfaggotshit.com")? I also don't want to hammer my DB. Is there some way I can leverage sessions to do it?
>>
>>69313301
The idea is half the difficulty.
>>
Hi,

6 weeks ago or so I asked how to start learning js, somebody advised me to go and grind edabit. So.. I did that many hours every day, and I have now finished every single challenge.

What should I do now? There are so many ressources, I feel overwhelmed.. (I like to read and code more than to watch videos)

cheers
>>
>>69314016
more like 1%

The execution and who you know account for 99%

quote from the article "That was made possible when I took a couple friends (who are salespeople) out for drinks to tell them what I was working on. Afterwards they both said they would try to think of people to refer me to."
>>
>>69314016
Yes, I know. The idea is probably the simplest part. Developing is easy, sales would be the most challenging, I think.
>>
>>69314418
>who you know
there's linkedin and shit for that
>>
Guys please recommend free hosting for simple PHP+MySQL CRUD (400+ records)
>>
>On a non-tech discord server
>Some dude who knows how to program (I guess?) talks using "programming language"
>He actually fucking uses "echo", data types, "{ }", "if/else", ternary operators, and pseudo-JS to write his sentences
I swear to fucking god, /g/. If any of you ever do this shit please kill yourself.

It's the most fucking cringe thing sharing a Discord with this guy. And I won't leave cause my friends are there too. People believe this loser talks in "code" and just because they don't know how to read it makes him super smart for writing basic shit.

Who the fuck does this? How can you possibly be so beta?
Not even /wdg/ is this beta.
>>
>>69315281
bplaced.
>>
>>69315492
Post examples.

But probably a 10 year old. I remember doing shit like this 20 years ago.
>>
>>69313301
>Who the hell wants to team up? $2,500/month each.

It's not that easy.

>>69314469
Depends on your business model. Development should be the most difficult, especially if you are wanting to build passive. You want autonomous services that you don't need to sell manually. Buy ads with your competitors domain name as the keyword you're targeting, build a bot to scrap emails from business websites in your niche to send your sales pitch.
>>
>>69315492
That's actually really common, a lot of autists don't know how to communicate without either being too technical for the situation, or without using memes. Kid you not, an intern of ours would spout twitch memes in person as reactions. He would say something silly and then go "kappa". Turns out, he was talking mad shit on twitter all this time about the company so they didn't bring him back.
>>
>>69315492
if (youMakeFunOfMe()) {
youre((fucking) => dead.kiddo());
}
>>
Let's say i wanna build a nice page with multiple layers of elements.
would it be a bad practice to use it all as a same sized .png to avoid having to position it all with CSS? Like, the background would define the size and everything else would be correctly positioned according to the background with transparent "padding".
wouldn't this + setting width based on screen size would work fine and save a lot of CSS time?
>>
Why should I use Go instead of PHP/JS/Python?
>>
I need a few inputs on something.

I'm currently working on an application with the hopes of getting more drink spiking incidents reported (I got spiked myself, at least three of my friends got spiked, and nobody ever reports anything to law enforcement).

The idea is that you can add a location and a description of events to a map. The data stored will be anonymized (unless contact in form of email is chosen as an opt-in option).
Sadly, the best maps api is made by ... google ... which I don't really want to use, but they have a database of restaurants/bars/etc unlike any other.
Input would be:
Gender(Optional, M/F, in biological sense)
Sexual Orientation(Optional)
Description of incident (Optional)
Location(done through google places API)
Contact Info (Opt-in, Optional)
Date, or date-range
time-range
Captcha

Once the data has been inputted, it should be anonymized. There should be no way to talk to the person who reported it unless contact info is specifically added and opted in for.
Then I want a second map, that shows areas in which drink spiking is reported most frequently, and invididual incident as markers. This map would only be accessible for law enforcement if so desired (wouldn't want to give criminals extra information for their activities).
The hope hereby is that if it does get known well enough, law enforcement could use it to profile drink spiking inciden. I am not certain on how to filter out false claims yet.

I'm wondering what would be the best way to do such a thing securely? Or what framework to use? I've looked at flask and react, some other people recommened ocaml, but I'm really not sure.
I would want it to be secure and pentested, the database encrypted. I know that using ... google ... isn't the safest thing to do, as they track everything (I wonder if google home mini keeps stats of when somebody takes a shit if they have it in their bathroom...)

This way, victims or people who suspect they got spiked can report the incident.
>>
>>69316041
ok ok. Post tits
>>
>>69316205

not only girls get spiked...want a dickpic instead?
>>
>>69316041
I'd name it SpikeReport.

I would use Yelp API since you can get specifically nearby bars with their geolocation.

It also returns IDs that you can store in the DB to relate to the specific bar and you can tie it to your reports.

You don't need to use maps, though you can. You can use the geolocations from the Yelp API to post markers on a google maps iframe. The marker can have the number of reports inside the marker bubble. Then if they click on it it will go to the page for that bar with the spike reports listed under it.

I would use a PHP back-end and front end with javascript/jquery. Package with PhoneGap and launch. Project time 1 week.

If you want to store user info then use facebook auth or google auth.
>>
>>69316205
women can't code. Probably just a white knight
>>
>>69316394
Also an alternative to google maps is openstreetmaps.
>>
>>69316394

Heh. Thought of the same name, but it's quite obvious. Thanks for your input.

>>69316397

We all know you can only code if you are a trap with tigh-high coding socks.
>>
>>69316205
>>69316397
>>69316473
>being this new
>not knowing it is pasta
for the good of the board, lurk moar
>>
>>69316041
>I know that using ... google ... isn't the safest thing to do, as they track everything
Based feminist SJWs
>>
File: 1544832290209.png (100 KB, 1200x963)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
I'm having to learn React for a job.
Any good tips on learning and perhaps some projects to build to cement understanding and tinker with?
>>
I have an embedded video on my website, and wanted to have a custom overlay that goes over it (the website has this jungle-like theme and there are plants going over the video).
The thing is, the image I have is a full-sized "border", which means increasing it's z-index also makes the video unclickable.
Is there any way to solve this besides breaking down the overlay into smaller pieces?
>>
>>69313416
google analytics if you're lazy. otherwise you'll have to configure nginx and track unique ip's, or just count session ids with a global counter.
>>
I've got a JS file that makes postMessage calls and one of the parameters is different for different deploys of our application. So naturally I made it an environment variable. Now how should I get that env variable inside of the js? Should I interpolate PHP inside of the js inside of a script block? Make xhr? (probably not the best idea, I don't want anybody messing with the return value, but then again anybody could mess with the source anyway).
I just don't know what to do here.
btw, the env variable is just an endpoint. In development it's named differently than in production.
>>
File: 1326472645373.png (231 KB, 483x381)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
Is it possible to have a html website with a separate section using a php database for a news and making posts?

I want to have a main website with static pages for displaying info about services and other stuff and a separate section with an admin panel backend so people can make news and event posts using a php database.
>>
>>69318009
Yeah, that's pretty standard. You mean like a mysql or sqllite database right?

You'd have your website, your pages would be HTML files, they would POST / GET to your PHP files, and they would interface with a database server like MySQL.
https://secure.php.net/manual/en/book.pdo.php
>>
>>69318059
Yeah, this is what I meant. I only want the news and posts section to done on the database using php though.

I'll have a play around with this over the weekend, thanks.
>>
>>69317628
https://www.w3schools.com/whatis/whatis_react.asp

Im not quite sure what TL;DR I cant give you right now. I think the most challenging part of React is getting the initial stack set up.
>>
>>69318179
Good shout, w3schools existence had utterly exited my mind.
I've had a skim of the documentation and I'm not sure how I feel yet.
>>
Twitch Extensions are kind of fun. They are annoying to develop, but it's satisfying. I recommend it if you have any good ideas since you can get 20% of bit revenue on any stream your extension is used in.

There is also a challenge going on for a 15k prize and like no one has entered that I know of besides me and few others.
>>
>>69299513
>but I don't know how/when to use them
when you request some resource via http, you don't want all other functionality to stop, so instead you wrap it up in a promise.
Your other code continues running as normal and once a response arrives you, the promise can pick back up and do whatever you want with the data.
>>
>>69318249
W3C and their tutorial site are legitimately godsends to the internet
>>
>>69317677
pointer-events: none;

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/pointer-events
click will go through the overlay
>>
Is there any web framework that works like GTK or Qt?
Creating components at runtime, layouts with linear constraints
Current state of ext.js isn't good and Kendo costs money
>>
Is there a way to make an image follow to cursor in javascript/jQuery?

I was thinking about using an onmousemove and setting an absolute position for the image top-left at the mouse position. Not sure if that's best.
>>
>>69318387
thanks frend
>>
Making the new thread a little early because I'm busy.

>>69318428
>>69318428
>>69318428

Thanks to >>69293887 for OP pic
>>
>>69318395
any specific example you have or reason why Vue/React wouldn't be good enough?
>>
>>69318448
Preferably it would work with Vue, but I don't want to build my own components.
Bootstrap, UIkit, Foundation, etc. aren't that great for applications with high information density
>>
>>69318322
sounds pretty gay to me. Waste your time making shit with 0 actual value. Just so some kid can spam memes. 20% sounds like a lot, but is probably pennies. And the way they count the 20% gotta be some serious mental gymnastics, or else a streamer with 5 extensions would get nothing.
>>
>>69318630
most donations are not in bits. i've seen a 10k bit donation before ($100).
i have a good idea for one but it would require some heavy image processing i'm not good enough to make it.
>>
>>69318763
Tell me about it and I'll give you 20% of my profits for the first month.
>>
>>69318781
mtg is hard to watch in paper tournaments (and its growing in popularity on twitch) because theres so many cards in modern and no one knows what the cards are doing.
so it would be like hearthdecker except for magic. hover and it shows the card
i don't even know if its possible since theres usually glare on the sleeves and tracking the cards would be hard, the camera is at an angle and the cards can be anywhere or stacked on top of each other
>>
>>69318835
Sounds like a fun project.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.