[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1617592712857.jpg (367 KB, 750x744)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
How do I deal with social anxiety at the gym?

I feel extremely bad when surrounded by normies. I've only tried going to the gym twice in my life, and both times were horrible not from the strenuous physical activity, but from being surrounded by normies.
Biggest problem is I live in a small town.. so I will most likely meet people I know or see the same people all the time.
>>
exposure therapy. start talking to them and get comfortable
>>
File: 1653075487749.jpg (814 KB, 2784x1446)
814 KB
814 KB JPG
>>67306628
You need to stop masturnating.
Do you know about semen retention?
The benefits are huge.
Check them out:
https://imgur.io/gallery/g4eGH

Pic related
>>
>>67306628
same way you get better at literally anything homie, practice. you can do it.
>>
I have it too, OP.
Building a home gym for me right now.
>>
>>67306650
>>67307124
Guess you're right, there's nothing I can so about it but to just suck it up
>>67307125
I wish I could too
>>
>>67306628
Could lift early. If it bothers you that much both Ashwagandha and Phenibut work well for anxiety
>>
>>67307143
What specifically worries you so much? A gym is 99% just dudes minding their own business and doing their routine with headphones on. Once in a blue moon you get some douche but it's not the end of the world.

Perhaps you should tackle your social anxiety in more familiar or controlled situations first
>>
>>67306628
Blast music from your offbrand airpods and pretend theyre not there.
>>
File: primary-share.png (1.72 MB, 1200x630)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>>67306628
I go at 9pm and there's no one else there. Get to listen to Good ol boys over the loud speakers.
>>
>>67307143
>just suck it up
That sounds nice, but it isn't really a plan of action. Whatever you do, don't avoid the problem. Don't wear headphones, don't get a home gym. Overcome the anxiety.
The best way to do this is to have a plan. Start with whatever social interaction you're comfortable with, maybe that means making smalltalk with a cashier, and start practicing. That means have some canned conversation starters whenever you buy anything at the corner store, and make sure you always try them out. Once that's easy, find something a little more difficult you can do.
It's like lifting. You don't try benching 3pl8 your first day at the gym. Figure out what you're capable of handling, accept your skill level, and then work to monotonically increase it.
>>
>>67306628
Lift with your eyes closed
>>
>>67306628
Almost everyone in the gym is minding their own business and won’t care what you do so long as you’re not obnoxiously loud or stinky. Social anxiety is mostly you being cruel to yourself and imagining reason why others might find a reason to hate you. When the anxiety flares up, remind yourself that nobody cares about your (mostly imagined) shortcomings except for you.
There’s plenty of suffering in the world Anon. Try not to suffer for no reason.
>>
>>67306628
you’re going to have to face your fears son. talk to those normies, introduce yourself to Stacy. do silly TikTok dances in front of the gym locker room mirror with the zoomers
>>
>>67306628
Most people are perchance much less self -aware -critical -reflective than you. Theyre often morons but way ahead of you socially by just plowing forward. Just go and stop being a pussy. you cant actually die from awkwardness so weather it and focus on your goals.
Something something gonna make it
>>
>>67306628
what is it that makes you feel bad? do you feel like they're judging you or something?
>>
look up anxietycoach dot com fren
>>
my biggest problem is that even if I eliminate anxiety altogether I have no idea what to say to normal people. Now I understand theoretically how small talk works. But I simply can't do it. I can not muster a sequence of sentences to say. When someone says something I get caught over processing everything in my head and end up tripping up what I'm trying to say. Everything just comes out weirdly. This is even the same when I'm drinking. I can communicate perfectly well with people who already know me. Because I can just be myself and speak my mind. But when it comes to strangers or semi acquaintances my mind just turns to mush and I have no idea how to behave or what to say.
This is probably also because I genuinely am weird and am very conscious that most of the things I say and believe authentically make people uncomfortable.
>>
>>67306628
The only way to get over social anxiety is to be more social
>>
>>67306628
Read books on socializing.
>>
>>67307991
Pretend everyone you talk to is your friend. Don't go relieving personal info, but try to emulate the same sense of ease you get when you're chilling with your boys
>>
>>67307991
Just don't fucking talk to people, if someone comes up and asks a bunch of dumb-shit questions, just stare at them for a bit and then go back to training
They'll think you're either Gigachad or a socially awkward loser, either way it's a win win
The only lose in the scenario is your want for human connection, which is better known as WEAKNESS
You're weak, you know it, you're afraid and you want others to come and wipe your butt, but they don't wanna do that shit, you stink, bud
>>
>>67306628
Earbuds and a hat pulled down is a good way to focus. When you do walk in, make sure to give anyone you know a head node. From there on out you can ignore everything else and focus on workout.
>>
>>67306628
Nothing will beat a good diet, regular exercise and decent sleep. Everything else is exaggerated. Aging helps too, men tend to get less anxious the older they get (exceptions aside).

The truth is, if you are an anxious person you will ALWAYS be somewhat of an anxious person. Not saying you can't improve but forget this expectation that you can one day "fix" it. Learn to accept the feelings of angst and different ways of internalizing it.
>>
File: Am I winning Dad.jpg (557 KB, 1280x800)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>>67311026
Actually just walk in with your PPE on and reflective dossard
Make sure to ask everyone you meet if they're adequately hydrated and if they need a 15 minute heat break.
>>
>tfw 30 and social anxiety ruined my life
ltierally incapable of doing anything
>>
>>67311189
Why are you like this
>>
>>67311250
I have a job.
>>
>>67307991
I wouldn’t worry about that desu. I’ve had some chats with randoms at the gym and they were taking about pretty autistic stuff themselves, one was talking nonstop about conspiracy theories and was borderline naming the jew, another was talking about the plumbing of the place (presumably because they’re a plumber)
>>
/fit/ - A Parable
>Brutal moggings
>Admit it: She mogs you.
>Lemme guess, you need more?
>Post body
>Ngmi
>How do you deal with social anxiety at the gym?
>More accurate and diverse opinions than any other thread on /fit/
>>
>>67311259
That's some good H2O
>>
>>67307143
You can stop masturbating
>>
File: 1652028741157.png (420 KB, 614x532)
420 KB
420 KB PNG
>>67306628
>>67311205
Pretty similar to both of you anons. My anxiety has really become a hindrance in my life. I find I get nervous when I first get back into something but after a week the anxiety greatly reduces. I still have bad days, we all do, but it's about managing them and reducing the impact it has on your life.
I mostly worry about people remembering me from my past. I did a lot of dumb shit when I was younger but really turned myself around. I just fear people will remember me for who I was or something. It's pretty irrational but I am trying to move on.
Anyways, I hope you anons can start taking steps to improve your situations. I know you can. Godspeed.
>>
stop drinking caffeine
microdose bromazepam
>>
File: kek2.jpg (50 KB, 414x474)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>67310262
>socialize by lone reading of books at home.
absolute state of /fit/
>>
>>67307290
Nice post.
>>
getting into bouldering and going to a climbing gym for a while actually made it easier for me to talk to strangers. The way they're set up, basically encourages people to talk to eachother
when you're climbing boulder problems, only one person can do them at a time, so everyone else watches when they're waiting their turn, miring is basically encouraged.
Everyone wants to see someone solve the problem they're currently working on, so people are asking "how'd you do that?" and shit, cheering eachother on when they get past the hard part of the problem and so on
>>
I was like this when I first started lifting. I was just over conscious of everyone around me like thinking that they're looking at me or making fun of me for being weak or some shit. But after sticking to it for a while and meeting a couple dudes who were willing to help me with my lifts/form because I was new, I realized that most people at the gym are there to get stronger or feel better. There are very few people who will judge you for anything and if they do, they're probably the ones fucking around. I think if you're there and trying your best other people will pick up on that and be courteous.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.