[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 91l1+K3sK1L.jpg (788 KB, 1956x2560)
788 KB
788 KB JPG
>started lifting literally a week ago
>figured I'd start with a beginner program, pic related
>read the book for proper form
>practice with empty bar
>figure out a starting weight for the exercises, book says for the first few times you can add like 10kg each time for squat
>manage 3x5 60kg, next time try 70kg and fail miserably
>two buff guys come to check on me and tell me my form was wrong "you had the bar too low, you gotta put the bar in your neck"
>try telling them there's a difference between low bar and high bar squat
>they tell me I'm wrong and that if I insist on putting the bar low I should use one of those machines that guides the bar vertically
>try telling them that it's better to use free weights because having to balance your body uses the right muscles and develops good habits/form
>they keep telling me I'm wrong
>suggest to show them where I got my info from
>"nah, just do your thing man" with a mocking smile

I'm obviously a retard for wanting to up the weight too quickly, but those buff guys were just ignorant right?
>>
>DYEL arguing with the buff guys
even if they are wrong, there is a hierarchy to follow
>>
>>66764232
No, you are smaller than them, so you're in the wrong here.
>>
>>66764265
>>66764267
Kek

Sure, next time I'll kiss their shoes
But were they wrong or not?
>>
> gets shilled irl
> soon to be shilled online
yes there is a difference between low and high bar squats
>>
File: 534.png (128 KB, 433x183)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>66764289
No they were right, and you're retarded.
>>
File: ssgomad.png (264 KB, 352x439)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
>>
You are right, the dudes were wrong. Next time just say "yeah sure bro, thanks" and wait for them to leave. Don't argue with them, they're just trying to help even if they're wrong.

Also don't forget to add the acessories for arms after week 4.
>>
>>66764232
Bro are you retarded? It's 5-10 POUNDS per session (2.5-5kg) not 10 you dingus
>>
>>66764232
No, they were right. Low bar is fucking gay.
>>
>low bar
starting strength meme, doesn't work quads as much
>high bar Olympic squat
real athlete lift
>>
high bar is better for quad hypertrophy
low bar is better for lifting big

i do low bar for lower reps and high bar for higher
>>
File: 845324532.jpg (13 KB, 225x225)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>66764232
>>
>>66766144
if you want quad hypertrophy just go do some leg extensions you dumbass
Low bar squat is by far the best option for all-around development of the lower body, which is what you want if you're not some baboon who thinks "legs = quads"
>>
>>66766168
high bar is a good auxiliary lift for developing quads in a way that carries over well to low bar. if you're deadlifting you are getting good hamstring work as well
>>
>>66766214
high bar is absolutely fucking useless if you're already doing lowbar and you're not an olympic weightlifter
>>
File: pepelift.jpg (71 KB, 760x752)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>66766226
don't be angry, anon. it's okay that we have different perspectives on things
>>
>>66764232
Lol, you're a bitch "actually" kind of faggot. Unironically heed the advice of swole people, you turbo nigger.
>>
Most times anyone who walks up to you with unsolicited advice is a retard, why do you think the gym boomer meme is a thing.
Just keep doing what you're doing, but unironically. They don't know what they're on about.
>>
>>66764232
There is absolutely no shortage of strong retards. More time in the gym will expose this.
Most of them started with manual labour and just throw heavy shit around in the gym and eat like ganits.
They will always be "strong" but easily surpassed
>>
>>66764232
>you gotta put the bar in your neck
no you put the bar on your traps for high bar, don't listen to unsolicited advice at the gym, it is always wrong.
>>
>>66764232
you clearly forgot to use the squat plug
>>
>>66764232
>>66764373
This, should have gone to 65kg tops
>>
>>66764232
Yes the "buff guys" were retarded, but the low bar squat is nothing but a powershitter meme. Unless you are competing at powerlifting meets and you are desperate to put an extra 10% weight on your squat just to have numbers go up, you have no reason to do low bar. High bar targets quads more and is a better compliment to deadlifts, especially for newbies who just want to get stronger and will often be doing both lifts in the same workout. So put the bar high up on your traps, and develop the hip/ankle mobility to squat deep down with a more vertical back. Not everything Rippetoe says is considered good advice.

Also adding 10kg at a time to any exercise at any point in lifting is a lot of weight. 10lbs is definitely possible for a noob squatter a few times, but not 10kg. And after that it will be just 5lbs at a time for a few months until you progress beyond linear gains.
>>
>>66767089
>high bar targets quads more
wrong, learn what "moment arms" are
>>
File: 1652209467793.png (35 KB, 3532x1141)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>66767110
>hurr durr moment arms no really mom powerlifting is a real sport and yes I have to be 350lbs to stay in peak condition
For you to squat low bar more than high bar, you are either recruiting more muscle groups (hamstrings) or you have a lower range of motion. Powerlifters make sure to benefit from both.
>>
>>66766226
Not him but how come? I’ve been doing only high bar and I’m actually at a 300lbs tested squat as a newb. I did it cuz it was intuitive when learning to squat and I also have rear delt issues now
>>
get big enough so you can beat up people that try to tell you their shitty ignorant "advice"
>>
>>66767238
The bar position is more intuitive for most people. And while some would argue otherwise, I think the high bar pattern is a more natural squatting movement too. Fat, unathletic Americans and west Europeans who stopped squatting entirely when they were five years old and lost all of that mobility will cry that low bar is easier because of "muh femur to torso ratio."
>>
>>66764232
>I'm obviously a retard for wanting to up the weight too quickly, but those buff guys were just ignorant right?

The 1 and only weightlifting injury I ever had was a bro trying to "correct my form."

Dont listen to them.
>>
>>66764232
They're bigger than you, they probably know what they're doing
>>
>>66767238
if you're doing high bar and it's going well for you great, I meant that there's no reason to do both, and it's stupid to do high bar squats "because it isolates my quads more" when leg extensions exist

i don't know about you, but I do squats because they're an efficient way to hit pretty much every mucle in my lower body really hard (except for the hamstrings and calves) with a lot of weight with very few sets and reps
>>
>>66764232
>add like 10kg each time
I think the recommendation is 10lb, not 10kg.
>>
>>66764232
i add 10lbs total every 3 weeks not 10kg next squat session
>>
>>66767238
high bar usually fucks my lower back personally im in a better position being wider stance low bar

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.