[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1626702131188.jpg (8 KB, 255x286)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
What is safer for rotator cuffs? OHP or bench press?
>>
Not lifting
>>
>>62692439
they arent comparable they dont use the same muscles. bench is least safe exercise for shoulder
>>
i had creaky shoulders for a while until i starting adding in more OHP to balance out the benching
>>
Dumbbell one arm floor press with a neutral grip and elbow tuck is pretty much the only safe free weight press that won't stress the cuff
>>
Anyone of you feel pain on the OHP negative? Its like a overstretch, feel the need to touch the chest on every rep
>>
>>62692523
Ive started to think that this is only true because its the most popular exercise in the gym. Every retard tries to do it and keep adding weights with flared elbows and bad technique
>>
>>62692717
>can do every pressing exercise with a wide grip, retarded amounts of elbow flare and even behind the neck with 0 pain
>when I attempt a neutral/reverse/close grip on bench with tucked elbows my shoulders start hurting
explain this, nigger
>>
>>62692968
Youll pay the price sooner or later
>>
File: ishygdtt.gif (1.37 MB, 264x264)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>boomer tells me "oh, i can't bench that heavy anymore, my shoulders hurt"
>watch him bench
>flat back
>limp legs
>straight bar path
>flared elbows
>>
Unironically bench.
I dont even feel my delts at all on bench because i use good form and know how to activate my lats. I can handle a lot of volume on it every week.
As soon as I start adding in heavy overhead press, my shoulders start feeling beat up. No amount of shrugging, tucking, or close gripping prevents the popping and clicking sensation in my shoulders when I lower the weight down.

Theres a reason powerlifters dont employ OHP too much. The front delts get more than enough work from bench. The most you need for shoulders is one day a week of higher rep dumbell pressing, lots of side/rear delt pump work, and facepulls for rotator cuff strengthening. If you your shoulders can handle it you can do barbell OHP for high reps one day a week.

Dont get fooled and hyped up over those videos of people OHPing 230 and shit. They are genetic outliers who's shoulder structure has enough room for them to do the movement without impingement and injury. But for the vast majority of people OHP is a meme.

What also should be emphasized is most of the people who do the movement dont even do it right and are just shredding their cuffs for no benefit. The actual mobility required to do it properly is underestimated and overlooked by many dyel fags on here.
>>
>>62692766
Yep. My experience exactly. See >>62693303
Stop doing barbell ohp now
>>
OHP will strengthen your shoulder girdle and make you less likely to injure it while doing other things

if all you do is bench, snap city imminent
>>
File: rotator2.jpg (29 KB, 320x240)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>62692439
>>62692968

>Not doing standing rotator cuff cable external & internal rotation exercises

Hahahahah enjoy your shoulder injuries at age 30!
>>
>>62692439
if you don't want rotator cuff injury use dumbbells and use them on the floor when doing chest press
>>
>>62692439
both are fine.
Just stretch and do mobility exercises newfag.
It's not like you're lifting enough for it to matter either way.
>>
>>62692439
The issue comes from imbalance not necessarily a specific lift. Most people over emphasize pressing movements which leads to impingement in the joint and instability.
Train scapular stability, do face pulls, and neither should give you any problems.
>>
>>62693598
I'm 30 & my ~Supraspinatus has just started hurting. Feels bad.
>>
>>62692968
I went from elbows tucked to elbows flared and has shoulder pain. Just had to drop the weight and learn to stabilize properly again.
Long term, tucked is less stress on the joint but also will target pec less(which is why I switched). I’m benching half of what I used to but my chest is growing faster.
You won’t get injured if you start light. Ego lifting is what causes injury
>>
>>62693303
Your scapular stabilizers are just weak. If you started not with “heavy overhead press” but light and learned to stabilize properly you wouldn’t have those issues. Took me 10 years of lifting and several neck/upper spine injuries to figure that out. I had all the same issues you do. There are very few lifts that are actually bad for you if you don’t egolift
>>
>>62693598
>tfw turned 30 and got a shoulder injury
Wtf bros I wasn’t even lifting at the time, gyms were closed for covid. I just woke up and couldn’t even hold my arm straight out to the side for like 4 months for no reason.
>>
>>62692439
probably OHP if you have proper form and serratus activation. if you're worried about it, the safest bet would be just to do banded/weight push ups and landmine press.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1589295178458.jpg (221 KB, 1360x750)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
What is general consensus on weighted dips though?
>>
OHP obviously

before the 70s, when OHP was still an olympic lift and people weren't obsessed with bench pressing, no one had ever even heard of rotator cuffs, because they basically never got injured when you perform overhead pressing. The only way to get a rotator cuff injury is by doing too much horizontal pressing (i.e. bench press) without the adequate amount of vertical pressing and horizontal pulling to balance it out.
>>
>>62693303
Powerlifters don't OHP because powerlifters don't compete in OHP. They have other presses to supplement their bench
>>
A Free Moving Scapula.
Dips.
OHP
Cable press, especially decline press (although this is something you have to do at the end, for you'll eventually be able to press more than you weigh).
>>
Fix your posture and your form by doing posterior delt exercises. Almost everyone in the gym doing 50 sets of bench press and 100 sets of curls have delts pulling forward so hard that they go past their nose. Don't be a retard, balance is everything.
>>
I benched for years without problem, then changed to OHP exclusively when gyms were closed and tore my shit up within 3 months, 6 months later and I still have pain, instability and weakness in my shoulder, shit sucks
>>
>>62693861
>>62693962

Best time to start was ten years ago, second best time is now. Do them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnx9sA_LCs

Also fix your bench form
>>
>>62692968
weak front delts like me
tucked is front delt dominant
>>
>>62694926
This is my fear. I have nagging shoulders but I dont know which lift did it, I do all usual suspects dips, bench and ohp on same day
>>
Someone post the vocaroo
>>
>>62692439
>close grip
>don't flair elbows
>do bench and ohp
>??
>profit
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>62692439
Overhead press with a back lean is probably safer. But the viking press is probably the safest.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.