[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Barbell-Deadlift-1.png (460 KB, 1320x880)
460 KB
460 KB PNG
Give it to me straight bros, how important is perfect form when deadlifting heavy? I'm 6'4 and have issues with keeping a straight back when doing heavy dl (4pl8) but I feel like my belt keeps me together anyways. I don't have any back pain afterwards either. Am I going to get fucked later on?
>>
>>61316716
Don't bother you don't have potential https://youtu.be/FWizDhYjGsc
>>
There's nothing wrong with rounding your back as long as you keep the bar close to your body
>>
>>61316716

My background is strongman and many strongman lifts are done round back (lapping stones, sandbags, etc.)

There is nothing particularly wrong about having a round back when you lift.

It is disastrous to have the spine suddenly go into flexion though, especially the last 5 degrees or so if flexion.

People keep neutral spines during barbell deadlift and avoid this fate, but you don't need a neutral spine. Bracing in whatever position it needs to be in and avoiding flexion is the key.
>>
>>61316882
what exactly is the difference between spinal flexion and rounding your back?
>>
>>61316716
just do ab vacuum
>>
>>61317035
Good catch. I mean going into MORE flexion/end range flexion.

If you start round back and stay that level of rounded, or extend (as in cleaning a log or loading a stone) you're good

If you start round back and get rounder, toward end range of lumbar flexion you will herniate a disc. Even sudden jerks into flexion at the t-spine can cause problems

Basically the spine can't handle folding quickly under load. It can handle being curved as long as it uncurves quickly. In the context of a deadlift the only way it would fold quickly is forward/flexion. I guess the extension equivalent is whiplash.
>>
>>61317102
* as long as it uncurves SLOWLY
>>
deadlifts are pointless for non powershitters
>>
>>61317317
Based retard
Enjoy shit posture and long term back pain
>>
File: ezgif.com-gif-maker.webm (1.87 MB, 1080x1920)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB WEBM
>>61317102
This was my lift, I did it for 2 reps. What would you say I should change? A couple months ago a trainer told me it's fine the way I did it.
>>
A bit of thoracic rounding will be kind of inevitable when lifting heavy. Make sure you keep the bar close to the body and don't round the lumbar part of your spine
>>
File: 1619804818494.gif (1.96 MB, 615x413)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB GIF
>>61316882
Nice troll, looking forward to all the snap city shitizens based on this advice.
>>
>>61317405
Your hips start too high
>>
>>61317486
I generally have issues lowering my hips enough. Happens with the squat too, I can't bring myself low enough.
>>
>>61317405
Thank you wormchad
>>
>>61317510
You have bad ankle mobility?
>>
>>61317597
Not sure how to measure it exactly but my first guess would be slightly bad, yes.
>>
>>61317405
Don't elevate your heels as much by wearing those type of shoes and standing on the mat, try DLing in flat sole shoes or just in socks
>>
>>61317405
not bad for a 1rm. your form is going to break down on a 1rm. there's not a lot of shearing force on your spine here so i don't think you'll have issues.

watch when your hips rise and then when the weight starts to move. ideally your hips rise and the weight comes off the floor at the same time. looks like yours is a little staggered
>>
>>61316716
>worrying about perfect form
This is why you'll only ever deadlift a shitty 405
>>
>>61317701
I'm only interested in whether the way I'm doing it now will fuck me up later in life. Of course I'm aware that you won't have perfect form at heavy weights.
>>
>>61317405
Are you seriously trolling? Why tf is your upper back higher than that pull up bar and your hand placement so wide apart?
>>
>>61317643
If you do an atg body weight squat do your knees pass your toes or do you just start falling backwards?
>>
>>61317597
how the fuck do you even increase this
>>
>>61317760
I can't even reach atg body weight squatting without starting to fall backwards.

>>61317734
>hand placement so wide apart
must be the camera perspective, my hands were close to my hips
>upper back higher than that pull up bar
Not sure what you're talking about, what pullup bar?
>>
>>61317405
Make your grip closer together
Lower your hips more
Pull shoulders back/chest forward
Drive into your heels
>>
>>61317794
>>61317807
Shit ankle mobility -> shit squat -> shit deadlift
Start stretching your ankles and fix your squat. Then you’ll be able to use your legs when you deadlift
>>
>>61317875
you know any good material for ankle mobility stuff?
>>
>>61317894
Squat university has some
>>
>>61316716
for tall people some rounding may be inevitable. even if you look at strongmen and SHW powerlifters they'll often have some rounding.
>>
>>61317405
that's too much rounding my dude.
>>
>>61316716
Upper back rounding is fine for some leverages. You want to avoid the rest rounding or starting straight then rounding during the pull.
>>
>>61316716
Wtf this guy on OPs pic deadlifts only 1pl8 but is bigger than me
Fuckin roiders...
>>
>>61317405
You pull just like Bob Peoples who was completely roundbacked. I round my thoracic but I tend to keep neutral spine by sticking my butt back. But if this is working for you and you aren't feeling pain, stick with it. I don't see you losing your lumbar from how you start it. >>61317429
Legitimately not trolling. You simply can't pull odd objects with neutral spine. The Chinese olympic weightlifters intentionally train round back to strengthen it in a compromised position. And the aforementioned lanklet deadlift king Bob Peoples pulled exactly like OP.
>>
>>61316716
Hey man, snap city will always have its doors open.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.