[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

You're weak? Do martial arts.
You're a loser? Do martial arts.
You lack self-esteem? Do martial arts.
You're afraid of conflict? Do martial arts.
You want to get fit but don't like lifting? Do martial arts.
You have trouble keeping a lifting routine? Do martial arts.
You're so feeble you are afraid of other men? Do martial arts.
You want to join a group of bros to do manly shit while bantering? Do martial arts.
You feel like merely asking a girl for her number is a daunting task? Do martial arts.

You want to learn how to strike and throw a punch? Do a striking martial art.
Boxing, kick-boxing, muay thai.

You want to learn how to choke, throw, submit someone? Do a grappling martial art.
Wrestling, judo, jiujitsu.

Got any further question? Ask in this thread.
>>
> You feel like merely asking a girl for her number is a daunting task? Do martial arts.

Why is this the only one that rhymes even barely? Put more effort into your posts the next time
>>
Why don't Americans seem to have rashguard under their gi when doing BJJ?
Is it because they don't have hair because of estrogen in tap water or something?

Where I live in Western Europe 95% of men have a rashguard, not for rashes, we're not pussies, but for politeness, most people don't like to have a hairy sweaty chest on their face when they fight and ending up with hair in their mouth.
I personally don't care, I like to fight nogi in underwear, how men are supposed to fight, but I find the difference in norm interesting.
>>
>>59313002
About 3 years ago on 4chan anons wrote me that there is nothing wrong with BJJ, the contingent is good, go and try they said. Well, I searched the BJJ gym and found. After the main training, people stayed to drill and I also stayed. One of the guys drilled passing of a rare version of guard. He said he wants to drill with me, asked me to lay down on the mat. At the same time, all guys around me suddenly came to life and began to demand me to lay down and take this rare version of guard, motivating it with the fact that with me the drill will be more effective. It seemed strange to me, but I didn’t want to seem non-companionable at the very first training session, so I accepted this stupid pose. But then suddenly they grabbed me by the arms and legs, pulled off the gi and started to hit my ass with belts laughing wildly at the same time. Then they let me go, and when I looked around bullied, venerable coach came up to me and explained that they do this at Gracie’s Academy when a newcomer comes, like initiation. Well, I was foolish and replied that it was all a fucking dick and stop making fun of me. He became very angry, shouting at me, saying that I had offended future winners of competitions and coaches. Then he offered me a choice - they beat the shit out me or fuck me in the ass. I began to deny, said calm down, calm down. He replied that I didn’t choose, since I probably couldn’t choose what I wanted more and he would generously give me both pleasures. After that, he hit me in the face a couple of times and I passed out.

I came to my senses in the bushes near the BJJ gym, in a puddle of tart urine, I had no my mobile, my ass ached, my face was broken into shit, my head was shaved bald.
>>
>>59313002
bjj bros, how to stop getting my ass kicked every roll session? at least yesterday i hit 2 good triangles in another white belts and a brown belt complimented me
>>
>>59313448
kek, based bjj practicioners
>>
>>59313482
>bjj bros, how to stop getting my ass kicked every roll session?
You can't brah.
In BJJ, the rule is pretty much that the guy with the most experience wins.

When I started, I lost pretty much 100% of the time for six months, until some new guys came, and then I realized the big difference of level there was between me and them. I could destroy them pretty much all the time.

The only way you can catch up to someone with more experience is to learn and train more.
Go train more often and watch videos and stuff on theory, techniques and all that.

Keep training my man. You may be the weakest dude in the gym for now, but you get stronger every time nonetheless.
>>
>>59313448
Classic first week.
>>
>>59313512
well, i at least have won 2 times already in my second week of training, but after holding each one of the guys for about 2 minutes in a triangle trying to set it perfectly my calves are fucked
>>
>>59313543
I guess the dudes don't care, but in BJJ it's good etiquette when training to let go of a finish if you can't make the dude tap in less than ten seconds or so, it means your technique is badly done to begin with and even if you can technically finish by pure force and endurance, it's not what the sparring is about.

But keep on rollin' brah. You'll be raping virgin white belts in no time.
>>
>>59313579
thanks brah, well i always have seen everyone going until the tap here, it must be because it's a brazilian school (in brazil) and the etiquette is flipped, we enjoy going until the end i guess
>>
>>59313029
some people don’t wear one because they are not allowed in comps and it’s good to get used to that feeling
>>
>>59313607
Oh I see. Well I'll keep wearing a rash guard because I don't want to be impolite or have to shave my chest and have my wife laugh at me.
>>
>First time doing bagwork with my fitness watch on
>Do 12 3 minute round ranging from speed, power, to both
>Sweating and breathing heavy at the end of it
>Apparently my heart rate never went above 120

Ehh? Been boxing 3 years, cant be shit technique or not enough intensity
>>
>>59315296
I'm not sure you can trust those watches if you intensively move your hands around. It's made for running and biking and such.

If you're out of breath and have your heart leaping out of your chest, you were higher than 120.
>>
File: 1598433932770.jpg (87 KB, 599x600)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
What is boxing like for beginners? I can't start yet due to rona restrictions but when they open back up I will. I've been doing a couple of 30 min shadow boxing workouts on yt, terribly no doubt but they get the heart rate up.
>>
>>59315457
You shouldn't shadowbox if you've never had a trainer, you might teach yourself bad habits which will be hard to unlearn
>>
>>59313002
why does martial arts attract all the spergs
>>
>>59313448
You joke, but some gyms are like that. I mean, what do you expect from an organization lead by Brazillian thugs?
>>
>>59315296
The watch will have a hard time measuring when it’s bouncing around.
>>
>>59313029
>he grapples while clothed
Low test
>>
>>59315629
I don't think it does? I've rarely seen a group of that many adjusted people than I do in martial art clubs.
There are more weirdos and cunts in a random company office.
>>
>>59313029
>Americans are fat
>Fat people get hot
>Wearing an extra layer increases heat retention
>Americans put their own self comfort over that of others
simple as
>>
>Start running slower on my roadwork
>Boxing stamina increases

Running fast is a meme, it's not only more enjoyable now but also gives more benefits
>>
File: kendo.jpg (131 KB, 1280x853)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Is kendo /mag/, or just /larp/ but cringier?
>>
>>59316406
I did kendo for 2 years.
It's fun, but you don't learn to use a sword per se. The rules are very restrictive. It's fun and not bad for forearm and cardio, but it's not a full contact martial art either.
>>
>>59316406
When I was young I used to think it was one of the most pure Martial Arts. That was before I was introduced to Aikido
"Aikido, Isn't that just a fake dance routine," you may say. I believe you shouldn't underestimate Aikido. Now I know you may be thinking, "Why take a weakling martial art like Aikido seriously when I am learning Kendo?" I can see why you would think that, how can a peaceful martial arts like Aikido beat a powerful one like Kendo?

Well, I have a story to share with you.

Years ago, I was a Kendoka, I thought I was the toughest kid in high school, I would pick fights, and kick ass. I was full of hate, until I picked a fight with the wrong dude. He was a Japanese exchange student, I still remember his name, Noboru Takeda.

I picked on him because of his hilarious and thick Japanese accent. I told him I was going to beat him so hard, he would go back to China(Yeah, I was a little racist prick.), he never said anything back, made me wanted to kick his ass even harder.

Well, here comes the fight. I threw men and do strikes, he dodged them like I was a mere white belt. I was tiring out and he knew, I saw the smirk on his face that made me raged hard. I put all my strength in one amazing tsuki, and he grabbed past it to my wrist and threw me over. My back smacked on the hard cement ground, and I was knocked out for who knows how long.

When I woke up I was in the school infirmary, I asked the nurse who brought me here, and you guessed it, Noboru Takeda. The next day, he wasn't at school, he was back in Japan, and I never got to thank him, for saving my life and showing me the light. I soon learned that he was an Aikidoka and have been practicing Aikido ever since to show my thanks to him.
>>
>>59316454
>things that happened
>>
>>59316406
Most people practice martial arts in part to be able to handle themselves effectively in a fight, if it ever became necessary. So you'll get a lot of people thinking it's dumb because it doesn't relate to how modern fights play out. But if that's not your goal, then that's all good. If you acknowledge that it has no practical application (except tangentially through discipline, distance management, etc), I don't think it matters what you practice. Kendo, fencing, HEMA, even tai chi.
>>
>>59317349
I acknowledge it has no practical function. That's why I question if it should even be discussed in /mag/. It's not really a martial art, more a sport with martial themed window dressing.
>>
>>59316272
This is true.

Polar opposite sprints will help as well.
>>
>>59316454
Nice pasta
>>
>>59317384
Sure you can talk about it here. It's fitness and a martial art, even if it's not the best martial art for da street or whatever.

I did both kendo and fencing, and I preferred kendo, a bit more physical.
>>
>>59317384
That's what all martial arts are lol. Sports. Some translate to DA STREETS better than others, but in the end all of them are sports that assume a similarly trained opponent of roughly equal size and approximate skill, coming out from your corners at the ding with fists up on even footing and agreed rules. If they don't hear the bell, they'll get dropped by a sucker punch from a naturally aggressive guy who's never trained a day in his life, no matter how elite they are in the dojo.
>>
>>59317524
I also agree with this anon. I do BJJ 4 times a week and while the coaches often talk about "self defense" never in my time there do I think I would use even a quarter of the shit in a real fight. Why would I roll around on the ground like a dipshit asking to get my head stomped when I could just heem a motherfucker from the get go?
>>
>>59317592
What do you mean? You don't want to pull guard, wrestle the guy on the floor to get on side control, change position to do a triangle and hope he doesn't bite your cock off?

For self-defense, the real practical moves you learn at BJJ are takedowns and a few chokes.
>>
>>59313002
>california
>4 out of 30 on the pic are whites

accurate representation of USA demograpichs
>>
>>59313002
Would 2 a week bjj and 2 a week mt be good lads? Would there be steady improvement? Want to do ma after rona lockdown but I really want to have both grappling and striking down
>>
>>59318167
2 times a week for a martial art is the baaaare minimum for progress, so three times would be good, or at least watch some videos about it to think about the art outside of training, so your brain continues to work on it.
>>
>>59315457
It's going to be hard, but more on technical than on cardio.
Good luck, train, don't give up, train.
>>
File: martial arts lmao.png (1.13 MB, 1856x535)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>59317524
Let's not forget that martial arts will probably never be used in "self defense," too. If you're not going out to social places with booze flowing and sluts making dudes frustrated, you'll probably never in your life see someone raise their fists to you unless you're deliberately causing trouble. Jamal Jackson and Mohammed won't give you a chance to fight fair, they'll jump you from behind or with numbers and beat you down for your shoes and cellphone (or just for fun) and run.
>>
>>59318744
This is a repeat shitposter or pasta. Report or ignore
>>
>>59316454
https://youtu.be/0KUXTC8g_pk
>>
>>59318984
Saying something you don't like isn't shitposting.
>>
>Haven't done bjj since march
>Gym closed permanently
>Classes may come back fall at the earliest
At least I've made some gains I guess.
>>
>>59319145
Same here brah. I miss rolling. I was training for about 4 months, and then the lockdowns began.
>>
>>59319011
I like this guy. Dude is pretty humble about Aikido sucking despite dedicating so much of his life to it. I think he even opened his own dojo. He changed his channel's name he branched out.
>>
>>59316454
Man, that's insane. Maybe we went to the same school, but a kid named Noboru Takeda who practiced aikido went to my school too. I had been bullied my entire time in highschool and just wanted a way to stop all of that. Kids would bully me, call me names, and even hit me. It got so bad I even started cutting myself, which I still have scars from. That changed once I saw Noboru Takeda wipe the floor with not just one, but two of my bullies in front of my eyes, and I later heard that he essentially cleaned up the school of bullies and general assholes. The people that told me that he practiced a weird martial art called aikido, which I had never heard of until that point. Once I heard that, I knew he had to teach me so I could finally put an end to my suffering by myself. I searched the school for a while, but after about 30 minutes I finally found him, and I knew exactly what to tell him. I told the aikidoka I didn't know what to do. And then the aikidoka, he told me what to do. He said thatOoo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang Walla walla, bing bang Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang Walla walla, bing bang Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang Walla walla, bing bang Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang Walla walla, bing bang
>>
>>59319070
It's in multiple threads. Fuck off
>>
Just do judo and kickboxing if you want to learn how to fight.
>>
>>59319426
Multiple relevant threads. Go get decked by a sucker punch, tryhard.
>>
>>59319145
>>59319173
I feel for you bros. Where I live I only missed 3 months of BJJ in total, I've been training back ever since this summer.
Maybe you should move to a place where your government doesn't treat you like serfs, or join an underground martial arts club.
>>
>>59319466
*Wrestling and kickboxing
>>
>>59321143
*Tai chi and kung fu
Ftfy
>>
File: 1604305143747.jpg (196 KB, 1080x1348)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
Why does my shoulder hurt when i shadow box and practice hooks?
>>
>>59323320
Without a video to go off of, I'd wager you are putting too much effort in with improper form
>>
>>59316406
Pure larp.
>>
>>59323320
Probably elbow too high. Get a coach instead of forming shitty habits
>>
Boxing question here. Having trouble with step back while rolling. Do i initiate the step prior to the roll and complete the front foot drag after completing the roll?
>>
>>59313448
kekkerino underrated
>>
Unrelated, but what's the lowest cost, legal way to go fight someone?

There's a weaselly guy I know that's been talking mad shit, and I want to call him on it - something like "If you're so tough, let's go a couple minutes in the ring/cage." Because this person is a habitual coward, I suspect that nothing I do would get him in the ring. However, if he does agree to fight, what is the easiest way - could I just call an MMA gym, pay the mat fee for both of us, and spar?

t. wrestled in high school, but not since
>>
>>59324400
Probably wont happen without one or both of you being a member due to insurance. Look around for gyms which have open mat sessions. Most progessional gyms offer them to make up for public holiday closures.
>>
>>59324400
if youre in america, good news!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_combat
>>
>>59313002
Is kick boxing a meme? There’s a kick boxing gym and some jujitsu club in my town. I wanted to learn Muay Thai or wing chun after watching ong bok and ip man but there’s none around
>>
>>59324529
Thanks for the information.

>>59324561
I don't want to seriously hurt this guy by cracking his head on a hard surface, just humiliate him - primarily by making a generous offer "show up, get in the ring, and I'll buy you a nice steak dinner" and making the texts/DMs public if he refuses. However, actually taking him to the ground and smeshing would be cathartic.
>>
>>59315457
Post your retarded looking shadow boxing please
>>
Tapped a blue belt today. But she was a girl and like 50 pounds lighter than me. She got really pissed and tried to triangle me after before I was ready.

I think she has a crush on me for real though. Dunno how to approach that cause we train together. She's pretty cute I'd totally date her tho
>>
>>59324400
Go youtube streetbeefs
>>
File: PSX_20210112_184731.jpg (39 KB, 500x500)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>59313002
I am a black belt in the art of punch you in the fucking head until you take a nap. I'll kick OPs ass right here, right now.
>>
tfw small midwest town and can't do a ma feelsbad
>>
Brown belt told me I am getting "really fucking good" with de la riva and he told our black belt coach. Felt good, brah.
>>
>>59325825
Is that the one that ruins your ligaments?
>>
>>59326954
Rubber guard and ashi are worse desu
>>
>>59313002
Any young bucks on here go hard as fuck in grappling? I remember when I first started training me and my buddy would go full tilt every roll in the class not knowing better. Pissed off some oldfags for sure lol.
>>
Jewjitsu is the faggiest shit ever. Roll around with guys sweating, learn a real stand up martial art like a man. People watch UFC for the KO’s and if they don’t they are usually male bonding goofs who hang out at the gym and get into new jitsu culture because they are too pussy to learn to fight with their hands like a real man.
>>
>>59327156
is this a real opinion or a troll
>>
File: crying-mask-wojak.jpg (31 KB, 601x508)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>tfw i know that foot techniques are what set up my big turn throws, but my level of execution isn't up to the combos
>tfw still trying to keep a positive learner's attitude
>>
>>59326967
>>59326954
De la riva and “ashi” (both slx and outside ashi) are not hard on your joints.
Rubber guard absolutely can be. An mma pioneer told me he fucked his knee up trying rubber guard. I think if you have super flexible good, it might not be as hard on your knee though. I have never done it, nor will I ever bother.
>>
File: 1610378838815.jpg (443 KB, 1769x1332)
443 KB
443 KB JPG
lockdown again, cant use the babies which i just bought
>>
You know, crossfit-style training makes a lot of sense for combat athletes. Repeated sub-maximal explosive movements is pretty specific to the sport of fighting.
>>
I'm a dyel with no experience but my university has a taekwondo club with cute girls in it. Is tkd a good martial art?
>>
>>59313579
>good etiquette when training to let go of a submission if you can't make the guy tap in less than ten seconds...

What? That's not true. 10 seconds is barely enough time for most white belts to even set a triangle up. Person in the sub should just tap if they can't get out.
>>
>>59327807
Post your gloves faggots!
>>
>>59327937
Depends on the gym. TKD has some of the best kicks for sure. But their boxing is just retarded. Join and see if you are getting on with the girls, otherwise quit.

Learning Martial Arts is basically pointless except for the fitness and to impress women. So go for it anon.
>>
>>59324618
>Is kick boxing a meme?
Absolutely not. It's one of the big three striking martial art, with muaythai and boxing.
>>
>>59324792
>Tapped a blue belt today. But she was a girl and like 50 pounds lighter than me
It's bad etiquette to beat someone physically weaker than you (especially women and higher belts) through sheer strength.
Of course we can always destroy or at least not lose against people who are a lot weaker/lighter/womener than us through force and weight, but it's not what the sport/training/rolling is about, you're supposed to use mostly technique in that situation.
>>
>>59327066
I do, but only with one or two other dudes with whom I have an unsaid agreement go to 100% whenever we roll. They're pretty much the same belt level/strength/weight as me, so it's fair and fun.

I mostly do it on Friday so I have two days to recover from my probable injuries after that.
>>
>>59327156
Nice bait brah.
>>
>>59327975
>What? That's not true. 10 seconds is barely enough time for most white belts to even set a triangle up.
After setting everything up I mean. Once you do the squeezing part, if it takes a long time, you did it incorrectly and it's just bad sportsmanship to continue, it goes against the goal of learning and practicing and is just a show of ego. Or at least that's what I heard everywhere I went.
>>
>>59327937
>Is tkd a good martial art?
Not if you want to be a professional fighter, but it's a great workout and you'll learn some mean kicks. Just go my man. If you don't like it, you can change whenever.
>>
>>59328031
>>59328515
I'll give it a shot then, it looks like the girls in the club are noobs too so hopefully I won't look like too much of a retard. I have no interest in being good at fighting or whatever, I just like the idea of a regimented regular workout where I can larp in cotton pajamas.
>>
>>59327917
Holyfield did HIIT stuff
a 30 second on, 10 second off pace is optimal for simulating a fight
>>
White belt with 1 year of BJJ, need some advice.

My top game is pretty decent for the level I'm at, have some good guard passes for each position and can chain some decent submissions. However my guard game (when I'm on my back) sucks. Despite knowing the moves to a bunch of different sweeps, I can never do them on anyone. They kind of go over a little bit but end up recovering before the tipping point. Any advice? I think I am not understanding/getting the feel for weight distribution in bottom guard.
>>
>>59331048
Do you lift weights? You have to be strong enough to trap their limbs for the duration of the sweep.
>>
>>59328437
I hate rolling with women or people 50lbs lighter than I am. I try to be nice and not just smash the fuck out of them and they act like its a life or death fight and just go 100%. I'm not good enough yet to just direct them into fucking themselves so I either end up defensive the whole time or slowly increasing the pressure until I feel lame for trying so hard
>>
>>59318005
If that's what you want to learn them youre better off with judo.
>>
>>59331598
That's true, but I don't do BJJ for self defense, I do it because I like it.

I like my sport a lot, but I wouldn't recommend it for SD if the other options like boxing, kickboxing, muaythai and judo are available.
>>
>>59313448
>enter gym
>they weren’t already passionately rolling while sensual music played
doesn’t sound authentic
>>
>>59319466
bjj and muay thai*
>>
>>59324618
its a weaker muay thai, but still in the top 3, maybe 2 striking MA
>>
>>59324792
>I think she has a crush on me for real though. Dunno how to approach that cause we train together. She's pretty cute I'd totally date her tho
No she doesn't, she fucks the highest belt in your gym. And you just wank at this idea.
>>
>>59324792
I get where you're coming from, but I agree with >>59332949 , the kind of woman that does BJJ is the kind to fuck the black belts, not the white ones.

Women always prefer higher status men, so except if EVERYONE except you is fugly and old or whatever, you don't have the advantage.
>>
>>59333233
I mean she literally goes out of her way to sit next to me all the time and I try my best to ignore her. But she keeps gravitating to me and was trying to talk to me the whole time we were rolling
>>
>>59333260
If you want to be an orbiter, be my guess. Don’t worry the whole gym probably wants to fuck her too.
>>
>>59331048
white belt here. I've been shrimping and hip bumping my way to freedom.

If I'm not mounted yet I work on controlling their hip. If I'm about to get side mounted I shrimp hard till im on my side and drag one of their arms out of the way. If I'm about to get full mounted I turtle up and grab one of their sleeves at the wrist and roll them over my back.
>>
>>59333379
nigga she's literally the orbiter
>>
Calvin kattar vs max holloway this weekend bros
>>59316272
Yeah, the middle ground is the black hole of cardio, you want either slow and long or very fast and short, not inbetween.
>>59319466
>>59321143
>>59321606
>>59332847
*striking and grappling
>>59329641
Iirc Holyfield liked the yessis 1x20 method.
>>
>>59319216

you're a stupid ass little twiggy bitch
>>
File: 1610356393838.jpg (50 KB, 495x619)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Would 4-5 years of Jiu Jitsu and Muay thai(three days Jiu jitsu, two days must thai) make me better than average? I don't wanna be great but I wanna be better than the average person
>>
>>59333794
Er, how about your social life?
>>
>>59333808
Church on sundays, fuck society, I wanna compete and win medals,even if I get my ass beat starting out I don't care
>>
>>59333851
How old are you? Height?
>>
>>59333393
Consider working on your bridging escapes.
>>
File: kesa.jpg (14 KB, 340x289)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
As a brand new BJJ white belt (only in it for about a month) that's also training judo and has a much harder time remembering ground techniques/newaza than throws, is just going for armbars and kesa gatame a decent strategy?
>>
File: 20200916_123505.jpg (240 KB, 1077x1077)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
Got diagnosed with a torn retina bros

The dream is over
>>
>>59333794
Yes it would.
>>
>>59334359
Perhaps consider a kimura from kesa-gatame
>>
>>59334487
you're probably eligible for paralympic judo
>>
>tfw keep overrolling my turtle turnovers
>>
>>59315296
What are you using to measure HR? You can get a hr strap from decathlon for like 20€ and they are incredibly accurate

>>59315457
Not that hard on the cardio if you can at least do a 5k in 25 minutes or so
>>
Judo guy to my BJJ cousins.

What are your stereotypes of judo players that come by to dip into BJJ? Like how, as I understand it, wrestlers have a reputation for being grindy and kinda dickish.
>>
File: 1573320972324.webm (2.97 MB, 960x540)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>59334359
Kesa gatame is a pin. There are subs from there, but they're harder to pull than those from Mune gatame (side control).
Main attacks from Kesa are ude garami (with hands and with leg) and te kubi garami (wrist lock) kubi gatame neck cranck
Josh barnett style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0VxxSNu-g
A nice flow for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHa7BN_Yao
ashi garami (americana with leg)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqAZCs6byqE
>>
>>59334676
First blind judo champion
>>
Newfag here, need a punching bag to train at home. Any suggestions?
>>
>>59335154
dont get one. heavy bag lies to you and reinforces shit behavior like leaning over into your lead hooks or pushing your fish into your target. unironically better to just shadowbox and rep out drills for stance and movement while punching.

if youre gonna get a bag, look at a double end bag which allows you to work timing, defense, and uppercuts aswell as combos. if youre super set on getting a heavy anything from everlast fairtex etc. should be fine, hang it from the ceiling instead of a stand at all costs.
>>
>>59333794
a basic understanding of how to fight and being fit puts you leagues ahead of the average males fighting ability
>>
>>59335351
Got it, thanks bro.
>>
>>59333794
If you're not sure if doing something for 5 years would make you better than someone who's never done it, probably not
>>
Haven't been boxing since October, won't be back until at least March but probably later given the state of our lockdown. Diving me berserk
>>
How to tell if it's a good gym:
>It is mostly black or Mexican guys
>It has at least one pro and a couple of amateurs training there
>Hard sparring is a rarity
>Technique is the primary training time
>It's expected you do conditioning work outside the gym
>Bro atmosphere, good humoured regulars

How to tell it's a bad gym;
>Mostly white or Asian nerds
>Boxercise style "feel the burn, pump it!" Classes are the mainstay
>No sparring or worse, unsupervised slugfests
>Not even an amateur
>People look at you weird for showering naked
>The gym twink is too shy to get reamed by all the guys after hours
>>
>>59335115
Why don't BJJ guys just use the english term? Latent weebery?
>>
>>59335621
Everything but the racebait faggotry.
So all i can say is kill yourself nigger
>>
>>59335351
> heavy bag is bad because it lies
> shadow box is good
> implying shadow box doesn't lie either

>>59335419
If you can only shadow box, then only shadow bxing is already good. But it's also far from being enough. When you shadow box you stop the movment yourself, which means that you use your muscles to slow down your punch, and you don't want it in a real fight. This is why you need to shadow box (to work perfect form), heavy bag (to punch at max speed and max strength) and to spare (to do real stuff).
>>
>>59335668
based enough that I'm disappointed you didn't get satan trips
>>
File: bop.jpg (34 KB, 500x500)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Is krav maga a good martial art? Or should i do boxing instead? What about both?
>>
>>59335621
>implying white and asian can't train in a good gym
>implying all gym hvae someone going pro

When you are in a small gym in a small town full of white poeple, according to your retarded gay post, the gym is bad
>>
>>59335753
Depends on your intentions
>>
>>59335753
>krav maga
>teaches you to do lots of things badly
>boxing
>teaches you to do one thing really, really well
And that one thing happens to be massively important and absolutely vital for fighting: punching.
So I vote for boxing.
Will also get you fit, teach you good footwork and defence etc.
>>
>>59335753
Krav maga is in no way a martial art
The problem of krav maga is that it's advertised as a god-like technics provider, while it's only a self defense training.
The second problem is that it often draws a lot of youngs/women/elders because it's famous, so the courses can get slow sometimes.
But it's still effective, it teaches a lot of good technics (you don't learn to fight against knife in a lot of other martial arts).
So I would advise to go for it, but do also some boxing training in addition because you won't get good at fighting only with KM.
I had a gym with a police officer training KM, very effective and no bullshit technics. To avoid shitty KM courses just ask to do or watch a training session. If something sounds stupid and isn't really easy to do, then it's bullshit because you won't be able to do it in a real, stressfull situation.
>>
>>59335867
I agree but boxing won't teach you some technics against armed opponents, nor reflex in a street fight (always watch behind you each 10sec, never get cornered etc..)
So boxing is better to learn to fight 1v1 in a ring. krav maga + boxing is better to learn to fight in the street.
>>
>>59335658
Because the Gracie family learned Kodokan Judo before spinning it off into their own and has much of the same Japanese terminology (which tends to be very literal in translation o-uchi-gari = major inside reap, o-goshi = major hip throw). Over time, they've nicknamed a lot of things, for example kimura = ude-garami = bent arm lock
>>
>>59335928
Define "street", so we can be on the same page. Since there can be infinite number of variables in the mythical streets, it's good to be on the same page to not talk past each other.
>>
>>59336047
Anything that isn't in a defined space, with a defined number of fighter, with rules and a referee.
When you fight with someone in the street, you never know how may friends he has nearby, what weapons he carries, how he will attacks, etc...
When boxing you know that the guy in front will only punch you, when in a street fight he can start by going monkey mod on you, then try to do a single leg takedown, then take a knife and call a friend, etc..
>>
>>59335928
>always watch behind you each 10sec, never get cornered
These aren't really fighting techniques though, just safety precautions that would (or at least should) come naturally to anybody with any level of self-awareness and instinctual threat perception. Boxing will teach you not to get cornered in a fight situation. As for fighting against armed opponents, I can't find any footage of someone using Krav Maga against a real knife or gun attacker. Lots and lots of demonstrations but ultimately those mean nothing. There's one video of some guy chasing down a knife attacker and attacking him from behind and then using a cabinet as a weapon, then several other people join in to subdue the guy. In reality, if you're being attacked with a deadly weapon, your chances of properly defending yourself with hand-to-hand combat are very slim
>>
>>59336233
>When you fight with someone in the street, you never know how may friends he has nearby, what weapons he carries, how he will attacks, etc...
This turns into a reductio ad absurdum where nothing can be good for the streets, get a pipebomb for multiple attackers with knives.

And yet, you see footage of plenty of fights (WORLSTAAAAAAAW) where people don't get stabbed or ganged up on. I think we can come up with a useful definition, however, even if it doesn't apply to all possible situations.

Namely, a 1-on-1 unarmed confrontation in an uncontrolled environment on a hard surface.
>>
>>59336249
These technics seem to come naturally, but in the heat of the fight if you didn't trained them you won't do it, trust me. I agree that a lot of it seems logical but you need to do it 500times before it gets in your head. It's like in boxing when you get you guard up to your chin after having punched. Seems logical, but nobody do it for the first 1/2 week of courses.

>>59336333
That's why my advcice from the beggining is to boxe and train self defense. Boxing teaches you to punch, and self defense (wether KM or anyhting else) teaches you the stuff you don't see while boxing. The best is even to do some BJJ (or any wrestling type) in addition, but it can get really time consuming.
>>
>>59336570
>train self defense

Or you could go to an MMA gym and practice techniques that work against athletic people that know how to fight over and over again. But that's hard, and you will lose many times in the gym (which gives you an appreciation for how badly things can go wrong in the mythical streets). I've yet to see a "self-defense" course that was useful that was no simply abbreviated MMA training - "we have a day; here's how you jab, cross, clinch, push kick, single leg, double leg, sprawl, guillotine, and get side control."
>>
>>59335803
It probably is if you're American. You'll learn solid fundamentals, without a doubt, but it won't have the training skill or serious competitors that a gym full of broke minorities putting all their hopes of a better life into their training would have to push you to a competitive professional level.

I saw a video of some white guy talking about going to a US gym where he's simply known as "white boy" from his home in Canada, and he mentioned the serious qualitative difference in training between the two countries. It's not because they're black or Latino, it's because blacks and Latinos are more hungry for it. See the same thing with Eastern Europe boxing vs western Europe boxing.
>>
>>59334834
>What are your stereotypes of judo players that come by to dip into BJJ?
That they are good at takedowns and get frustrated when you attack their wrists or feet because they have no experience or reflexes in defending them.
That they are grumpy when you start on the floor instead of standing up.
>>
>>59335621
If you enter a gym and it's full of blacks and mexicans, you need to move to another place because you don't live in a good city to raise children.

That's all I take from it.
>>
File: 1595880442902.jpg (135 KB, 360x394)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>59335621
Nigger kys
>>
>>59335621
>>People look at you weird for showering naked
Wait what. Is that a thing in the US? Is it because of prison culture where they shower with their clothes on?
>>
>>59335753
>Is krav maga a good martial art?
No it's not.

>should i do boxing instead?
Yes.
>>
File: 1573947414215.webm (2.93 MB, 1280x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>59335658
>>59335658
English terms are not as good in the sense that every school names every position and subs differently. In Japanese, the subs are like ashi garami is leg entanglement. Some names are common to almost all grappling arts like guillotine or rear naked choke. Some move though:
JUDO: ude garami
CACC and wrestling: figure 4 wristlock or double wristlock
BJJ: americana
or
JUDO: Ashi Kannuki
BJJ: Lockdown,
CACC: Bear trap, low Merkle, grapewine...
>>
>>59336679
MMA? isn't it the sport all bitches are wet about because "muh no rules" while having literaly pages and pages of rules ?
t. practice MMA
MMA is the best you can get for getting good at fighting BUT it still has a lot of rules (no strikes in genital, no poking eyes..) that makes you vulnerbale in a true free fight : watch mc gregor's stance, he has open legs that works really well in mma but in a free fight he would get a nice foot in his genitals..
MMA is great, boxing is great, BJJ/wrestling are a good plus, but KM/self defense are needed in addition to MMA or boxing.
You need to learn how to fight against a knife or two people to tell that you could fight in almost any conditions. Boxing or MMA will never tell you that.
KM or self defense alone is not enough though.
>>
>>59335721
true aswell, i was assuming he doesnt have experience and is trying to get into boxing. thanks.
>>
>>59338170
>You need to learn how to fight against a knife
You can't.
If the dude has a knife, you get stabbed, that's what you get.
If you become a master at "disarming opponents with knifes", then you'll get stabbed 9/10 times instead of 10/10 times.

Against a knife, you need a gun, another type of projectile, or to run.
Just listen to Ramsey Dewey or anyone else respected on the matter. You can't defend against a knife.
>>
>>59315457
I would definitely do a bunch of boxing related exercises that aren't actually boxing until you can get a trainer. Jump rope, pushups, situps, jogging, lunges stretch. These are core things you can do on your own without fucking up your boxing technique from ignorance.
>>
>>59319193
Yeah his channel said like 14 years of studying only to realize he's on the wrong path, he switched to MMA. Cool to see it's not too late to switch.
>>
>>59338170
>You need to learn how to fight against a knife or two people to tell that you could fight in almost any conditions. Boxing or MMA will never tell you that.

Because you'll fucking lose in the majority of realistic outcomes. It's not worth wasting mental energy on.
>>
>>59338335
-Pary
-Counter atttack
-Creat distance
-Flee
That's how you fight a knife, that's what you are taught, that's how we learned to do it. Even, if the knife guy is >5meters, just run. But it's not oalways the case, so you need to know what to do when adrenaline is kicking in.
However there are time where you can't flee : trapped in a bus, with a child, the door is locked, too crowded to flee, etc.. and those times are the time where you need to know how to defend yourself. Yes there will be blood and yes you will die or getheavily injured most of the time, but liek you said it's to go from 10/10 you die to 9/10 you die.
>>
>>59335753
It’s extremely hit or miss with we’re you go.
A decent krav place is probably better than a decent boxing place, but a decent boxing place is probably more common.
Exceptional boxing places are probably annoying to sit in and exceptional krav places are probably rarer.
If either have instructors who actually know what they are doing, then that place becomes the right answer, they will teach you valuable skills to avoid being heemed and instead be the heemer.
A bad gym will always be worse than fucking no gym, whatever talent you have will be actively dampened/stunted and if you have none, they won’t be able to compensate for you through instruction and you will just be wasting time money and better spent awkward first hours of learning how to stand and punch etc for the first time.
>>
>>59338788
There are probably some Krav gyms that have effectively transitioned to just being MMA gyms at this point.
>>
>>59315629
Cuz chad needed to go into rugby soccer hockey etc
Speer need to learn how to fight off chad
It’s like women’s self defends clasd
>>
>>59323320
Will never fuck her :(
>>
>>59315629
Because it's an individual sport which attracts neurotic people
>>
>>59338886
Chads doesn’t fight beta.
Beta fights beta, and everything below.
It’s true in nature and true everywhere I’ve ever seen fights break out.
Only time I’ve seen a high tier dude fight was when a spergy nigger who looked like he was about to cry swung on him after chimping out for a minute.
Sad day for niggers everywhere.
He must have been chased out of the hood or something similar but took the chip on his shoulder with him, thought that was his reparations.
>>
File: bjj2.jpg (19 KB, 540x303)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
I have an interview tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone here has had experience on the other side of the mats. I have 10 years of sales experience 6 of which as sales manager.
>>
>>59334487
just wear protective goggles and get back to it
>>
why is it so easy to bait you guys? and why do you guys keep larping that IM LEARNING MARTIAL ARTS FOR SELF DEFENSE. let me guess you play as girls in video games because you like staring at a female's ass?
>>
File: uchimata.gif (1.93 MB, 360x270)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
What is your favorite takedown and why?

For me, it's uchimata. I have a terrible one, but the way a good one makes people fly in the air is beautiful.
>>
File: bjj.jpg (41 KB, 480x480)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
Sacrifice throw from a failed single leg lol.
>>
>>59340709
kani basami :)
>>
>>59340709
Fireman's Carry. I'm a smaller guy and my opponent doesn't always give enough momentum for me to use against them. But I found that this move flows really easily for me even when I take the initiative.
>>
>>59340709
Lateral drop is a personal favorite
>>
>>59340709
single leg from 2 on 1.
>>
>>59315457
You'll be embarrassed with yourself for the first several months. Your trainer will likely just have you drill a single punch for a week or two, then another. There are only a handful of different punches in boxing, and getting the form right before learning combos is important. Beyond that, it gets easier every day that you go. Have fun.
>>
>>59339321
Chads do get into fights and they do bully
But they know cops judges an lawyers are ultimate chads

He’s already getting his dick sucked so may as well have fun and take advantage of the favourtism he gets
>>
>>59313002
My Muay Thai gym has been closed for a while because of Covid, what routine do you recommend me to at home. I've been doing push ups, squats, sit ups, rope skipping and running
>>
>>59335668
Fag he’s actually right

If you see fags in the gym it sucks

My city is all Asian but I walk into a serious gyms suddenly I see big black Latino and Armenian dudes
Like where the fuck do these people hide do they sleep here
>>
>>59335621
Redpill
>>
>>59335803
Rural fag detected
>>
>>59340709
whatever I can actually land as a white belt, which seems like its just uchi mata and osoto gari right now. hoping to land an o uchi gari in randori tonight
>>
So today was my first time going to a BJJ dojo and for whatever reason the master of the gym wanted to demonstrate a hold on me in front of the class. I guess he was expecting me to play along but I wasn’t about to cucked in front of the whole class by a 60 year old man so as he was attempting to grab me I cold cocked him right in his shriveled face. Needless to say he dropped like a rock and quivered on the mat for minutes. The look on the student’s faces was priceless. I’m pretty sure I saw a blue belt openly weeping LMAO.

Good first day, might try it again soon.
>>
>>59341981
Proof you got raped by kimbo slice afterward or it didn't happen nerd
>>
Why does no one ever feint their kicks? I see feinted punches all the time, but never kicks.
>>
>>59334834
most of them will say in the locker room "jiu jitsu copied judo desu, armlocks are called "chin chon chin chon" and triangles are called "pin pon pin pon" and they came from judo
>>
>>59327807
Lift you dyel
>>
>>59333393
Jesus that's bad. How bout learning not to get into those situations instead? You're not learning how to win by constantly escaping and shrimping - lots of beginners get stuck in this rut of "if I'm not losing I'm getting better". Work on not getting your guard passed in the first place, retaining closed guard etc
>>
>>59334834
They try to apply judo explosiveness to bjj while guard passing, get out of a mount or try to sweep...
pressure passing is the best for heavyweight, misdirection is the best for lightweight. No need to be explosive, but it helps when you know what you're doing, which is rarely the case for judoka first bjj lesson. It's about technique and knowing yourself.
>>
>>59342126
Historically, it's not even copied. Helio Gracie learned judo; he's in the Kodokan records as a black belt.

If you take the same base art and run it under different rules, the expression will change dramatically - especially over decades of separation into two distinct competitive circuits.
>>
>>59342656
Yeah, we're really used to the idea that, if you are pinned, you are 20 seconds away from losing the match. It's hard to remove the muscle memory of that urgency.
>>
File: 1608097539012.png (134 KB, 500x535)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
At BJJ practice, live situational rolling, guy going super hard and spazzy. Hits me in the face once, apologizes, we keep going. Ends up kicking me on the nose, feel my nose crack, blood gushing.

Blood everywhere.

Have to stop the bleeding and quit practicing for the day, might miss some practices depending how it feels tomorrow.

So would you forgive this guy next time you see him or never roll with him again? My nose might be a bit broken.
>>
Where did the negative view of taekwondo originate? Was there some famous match where a taekwondo user was humiliated? Or did people just look at the Olympic sport and just thought it looked silly?
>>
>>59313002
>tfw I thought doing martial arts would destroy my fear of rejection, but all that's happened is I'm now less scared of fighting than rejection
>tfw making a move on a hot girl I knew liked me was more terrifying to me than getting in the ring for the first time
>>
>>59343355
IMO it is the kids getting black belts that does it for me.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (27 KB, 300x300)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Michael Guthrie is one of the greatest martial artists of all time.
>>
>>59343350
It’s called bullying.
>>
>>59343739
What do you mean? I should bully this guy from now on?
>>
>>59331409
This is me at boxing, I uppercutted a chick's tit because she would punish me for going super defensive.
>>
>>59342277
I mean I basically only ever roll against blue belts and purple belts. I'm mostly trying to survive the whole round and see if I can even isolate an arm. I'll smash other white belts tho
>>
>>59339321
Not even true. Youre a moron animals and people will alwaya struggle for top spot. I know of two very alpha individuals who fought each other
>>
I got fucking bit today during a roll. I was going for a cross face and this spaz up and bit my fucking arm. I stopped him and asked him what the fuck the guy just goes "oh man. Ive never done that before". Who the fuck bites someone during sparring?
>>
>>59328031
in my gym we learn boxing-style and combined with the kicks. If someone does not teach you punches and kicks for fighting as opposed to sparring they are a bad teacher.There are differences. Use Sidekick and round kick before performing a spin heel kick. There is a sport side and practical side- 2nd Degree Black Belt TaeKwonDo.
>>
>>59343440
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Kids get black belts in Japan and Korea in Judo.
>>
>>59313512
Jiu Jjitsu its most about expierence but you should have muscles as well to carry your oponents body
>>
>>59344645
have you seen japanese and korean kids? they're more fat and out of shape then ever. black belts there mean less and less.

Its the general pussifcation that western liberal values have done to the world, make everyone cucks simps and betas.
>>
>>59333794
I started doing Jiu Jitsu over a year ago but I dont know how to take or make a punch, having thoughts of starting muay thai but i want to also become a lifter
>>
How the fuck do you throw a fast jab with a high neutral arm position? I can throw some real nice ones if my fist is at shoulder height, but that's shit defensively.
>>
Do any of you guys lift on the days you're not doing martial arts?
>>
>>59340709
eazy the flying triangle, basically u take your opponents arm and jump to his head doing a triangle google it for more info
>>
>>59344774
All I'm trying to say is that in two countries with strong Judo, a black belt is treated kinda like a blue belt. Amusingly enough, it's western countries like Russia, France, and the US where a lot more weight is placed on the black belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yNXM1mO5mM
>>
>>59344891
Yes. I train martial arts 3x a week and 2x full body on my off days.
>>
File: 20201217_205432.jpg (720 KB, 1908x1886)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
>>59342215
still in progress
>>
Got hit on my liver with a knee during a clinch during sparring. It immediately put me down for a solid 15 seconds. The pain was... exquisite.
I've been punched and kicked in the liver before, but a knee in a clinch from a bigger guy is probably the worst way to get hit in the liver. I doubt there is, but is there a way to toughen up the liver?
>>
>>59345564
Drink more alcohol you will develop a fatty liver an the mass put on will help dissipate the blunt force impact
>>
>>59345564
Nope.
>>
>>59338074
that was a good spot by the ref, would be easy not to notice the KO given the way he was positioned
man that is a lesson to always keep your jaw tight, even in a situation like that
one knock on the button can really fuck you up
right now take the bottom of your fist (pinky side) and tape it against the side of your chin while slackjawed, even a light tap will distort you a bit
crazy shit
>>
>>59345564
I don't know of any way. I know that unhealthy livers from alcoholism or sugar consumption can bleed more easily and cause pain, so perhaps a healthier liver would be more resilient. But I don't know.
>>
>>59341733
Vancouver?
>>
>>59338335
Bro, just be big and kick the guy.
>>
>>59316406
Blue dye every fucking where. I quit after 5 months cause of all the Japanese bullshit where you have to stay long after training to beg the sensei for advice.
>>
I’ve trained Muay Thai but I’m scared of confrontation and sparring. How do I get into a fighting spirit? I just end up cowering and being defensive when I spar
>>
>>59313002
I wear thick fucking glasses I can't do any mma or fighting.
>>
>>59345814
Just lift weights lmao
>>
>>59343350
>So would you forgive this guy next time you see him or never roll with him again?
Depends. If he's really apologetic, explain to him what he did wrong (being a spaz), and give him another chance.
If he doesn't seem like he really cares, just avoid him from now on.

I rolled with a strong dude last week, while entering his hand within my guard to choke me he hit my eye socket below and cut me on two centimeters on the eyelid. It was pretty serious but he was really sorry about it and I'm sure he'll be more careful from now on, so that's okay.
>>
>>59345814
realize that everytime you feel the pain it will be much more desirable than the nothingness that surrounds you after your death
disclaimer : only works if you believe there's nothing after death
>>
>>59343408
>>tfw I thought doing martial arts would destroy my fear of rejection, but all that's happened is I'm now less scared of fighting than rejection
>>tfw making a move on a hot girl I knew liked me was more terrifying to me than getting in the ring for the first time
Are you serious? That's surprising.
Usually you get less fear or everything because your body thinks fight situations are more serious than social ones, that's why martial art dudes are always so chill.

I honestly could go to a bar and ask the phone number of every single woman without having my heart rate go up now. I mean what are they going to do, say no then try to choke me? I'll RNC you bitch.

You might have some slight trauma with women and rejection brah. Try exposure therapy.
>>
>>59344457
Haha that's funny. The dude got too into it and acted out of instinct. Make him understand the seriousness of the act or just avoid him, the dude needs to be tamed.
>>
>>59344762
>Jiu Jjitsu its most about expierence but you should have muscles as well to carry your oponents body
Of course, that's why sex categories and weight categories are still a thing. Some women with a higher belt than mine are technically superior, but they have pretty much no way to win against me if I use my body.
>>
>>59344820
Either keep doing BJJ 3 times a week and add something else on the side, or wait for your blue belt before transitioning to another martial art.
>>
>>59344891
> Do any of you guys lift on the days you're not doing martial arts?
Of course, how do you expect to build muscle and aesthetic otherwise?
For me, bodyweight exercises, kettlebell and resistance bands (at home).
BJJ 4 times a week, exercise at home 3 times a week.
Pullups, pushups, burpees, kettlebell swing, goblet squat, resistance band curls.
>>
>>59345814
Keep going, you'll get used to it.
>>
>Slight slip to the opposite side of the duck while moving rear foot behind
>Roll under
>as i'm finishing the roll under i bring back the front foot
That's how i do it, if you feel comfortable doing it another way go for it, as long as it feels right for you
>>
>>59335721
Yea, but when shadow boxing it's easier to feel when you fuck up timing or balance.
>>
I have been doing MMA for a few years now;
The Fighter in me wants to continue, i was supposed to have my first match this summer.
But the Brain tells me its not worth it
1.) Will probably require vaccination soon
2.) Injuries not worth it if you do it casually and earn nothing

I have been more injured in a few months judo, than years thai boxing. Then again, i also had like 10kg above fighting weight, probably amplified fall damage a lot.
>>
>>59335928
In boxing you'll learn to deal with stress in dangerous situation tho; for example, to not flinch and close your eyes when you see a punch coming at your face.
In krav maga you'll probably learn some technique which would be more practical in theory, but are incredibly hard to pull off due to the lack of proper sparring/stress training
>>
>>59344645
You have to be at least 16 to get a Black Belt in Judo
>>
>>59313002
Would x2 a week of 2 martial arts be good in the beginning? Want to do bjj but dislike the thought of not having hands. Would progress still happen in both?
>>
>>59346421
>Will probably require vaccination soon
Soon enougth everything will, so it really doesnt make a difference. but i think for 2021 a negative test 3 days prior will still be the norm.

Anyway, you dont have eternity to compete in MMA; once you hit 30/35 you are basically out of the amateur scene; i'd say have at least 1 fight if you dont want to live half your life with the regret of not trying the "real thing" at least once.
If you're scared of injuries you could maybe compete in a specif sport (You mentioned thai and Judo)
>>
>>59346733
im still 21, but if training itself requires to have a negative test, then i probably wont

but yeah i really wanted to have atleast one match where i can go all out
>>
>>59346684
>Would progress still happen in both?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMCfzfXm9vQ&ab_channel=Chewjitsu
>>
>>59346741
>if training itself requires to have a negative test
It probably wont, you'd have to do a test for every training session and that would be impossible.
Where i live (Italy) you need an amateur card to train (so you need to have the doctor visits and all that) to train, and to do a Covid test to compete.
>>
>>59342665
yeah i know that, but some judo guys will act like bjj is just a judo with different name and faggier
>>
>>59346421
How have you been getting injured? Is it from being thrown? Either question your breakfall technique or the throwing technique of your tori
>>
File: 14166933582040s.jpg (333 KB, 1632x1375)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
How much of a meme is picrelated?
>>
>>59346946
pretty perfect actually
>>
>>59344891
I lift 4x a week and do BJJ 2-3 times a week, sometimes lift in the afternoon and BJJ at night.
>>
>>59346946
a flight and training camp in thailand can be cheaper than boxing desu
>>
>>59346684
>Would x2 a week of 2 martial arts be good in the beginning?
No, especially not in the beginning.
Do 3 at least.
>>
>>59346946
The graph is not so bad, except the "money" part, some places are not like that. Where I live BJJ is cheap.
>>
>>59343350
Forgive him once.
Next time complain to instructor.
If you end up stopping paying because you get hurt during practice, the gym will lose money. the instructor will understand that and get to the guy that hurt you.
>>59342665
The only good side of Helio is litterally to keepin' it real. Judo stopped to be a martial art in 2008. When I started judo again in the 90s, it was still intertwined with ju-jutsu, and the old techniques and self-defense part was still taught to white belt if they were interested. Nowadays, under 3rd dan hardly a black belt knows what atama means.
Helio on the other way was a cunt and lost to Kano, but he kept Jiu-jitsu on the fighting side of the martial art, not participating to exhibitions or get paid to lose.
>>
How do I get good at striking WITHOUT getting le brain damage?

Id like to have a proper conversation with my grandkids, instead of being that stuttering old fool that they only visit because their parents make them out of pity
>>
>>59346946
>very deadly ninjutsu
>judo being any more expensive than jiu jitsu

That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>59349360
Just don't do hard sparring and organized fights.
That's it.

You can train, drill, do light sparring all you want.
>>
>>59349396
>judo being any more expensive than jiu jitsu
That's not what the chart implies though.
>>
>>59349360
That's more about genetics than anything. If you have bad genes you'll be a sputtering old fool without taking any hits to the head.
>>
File: 1535671620703.jpg (54 KB, 554x543)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>59349360
Also
>implying you'll have grandkids
>implying you'll have kids
There's absolutely no evidence to indicate you'll ever breed and you know it
>>
>>59346946
Good chart.
>>59348259
Cheaper than Judo? I think not.
>>
>>59351104
>Cheaper than Judo? I think not.
I pay 50 euros per month for 9 classes of BJJ per week (11 if you count children classes).
How much cheaper is judo supposed to be?

And why would the price be any different in the first place?
BJJ doesn't necessitate more staff or equipment, the two sports are really similar.
>>
File: newaza.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
As someone new training judo and BJJ, what is the are there any mental tricks to actually enjoying groundwork? Standup is fun but man, BJJ and newaza really feels like a chore by comparison, even compared to getting thrown over and over again by black belts.
>>
>>59351142
>And why would the price be any different in the first place?
Because BJJ is full of greedy assholes?
>>59351302
No.
>>
>>59351338
>Because BJJ is full of greedy assholes?
Maybe where you live, I don't know.
Here, it's common and cheap, like karate, judo, or anything else that's simply a dude in a gi teaching you moves.
>>
File: skinner.jpg (10 KB, 324x299)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>tfw new year's resolutions faggots are starting to come to my gym
>barely survive the training
>take long breaks within the rounds
>but are fast to take a pic of the gloves for their epic insta stories
I don't like them, bros.
>>
>>59351613
>tfw new year's resolutions faggots are starting to come to my gym
>barely survive the training
>take long breaks within the rounds
>but are fast to take a pic of the gloves for their epic insta stories
>I don't like them, bros.

In all seriousness tho let em be, the weak shall be culled and only the strong or determined will remain such is life....
>>
>>59351613
Only got two this year in the time slot I train in.
They're alright, even if I'm not sure they'll come back next month.
>>
>>59351565
I don't understand why I'm the one that need to prove it to you. I don't know where you live. Literally just google what's the monthly fee for your local judo club.
>>59351613
Instagram is the resume for dating.
>>
>>59351662
Yeah, I know that. The one guy that was starting again after a 5 years hiatus didn't come back. He would be my perfect training partner. He was experienced and we had similar height and weight, so I could learn a lot from him.
>>59351699
They're coming in droves here.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>59324806
>mmm streetbeefs
>>
>>59327807
Nice gyno.
>>
>>59345023
russian judo kids are terrifying
>>
Anyone here train/fight on top of college and a career? I'm about to start my last semester, but there's an event going on in March my coach told me about. it would be my first, but I don't want to let myself down anymore
>>
>>59344457
That's assault.
>>
>>59345996
Decided to go this route, he owes me one big ass apology or he's black listed. My nose bone cracked and I gushed blood and had to stop practice.

I feel better today but yesterday I thought it might be broken. Still hurts a lot even with pain meds but I broke it before so I know it isn't a serious injury but easily could have been.

Either way fuck this guy.
>>
>>59354275
Don't be an idiot. Career is no. 1 at that stage. Don't be a tool of your coach's ego. Or even worse your own ego.
>>
>>59351613
I had a guy (fat black guy) come to my gym to do BJJ. During live rolling, he sets up his camera to record him rolling with me. I laughed and asked if he was recording. He said yeah to show his friends he's going to the gym. I guillotine choked his ass in like 4 seconds. He said that footage "wasn't a keeper" and turned off his phone then left. lmao
>>
>>59344645
>>59344774
People keep repeating this.
I don't see the point. Isn't competition is like a big aspect of Judo?
Are Japan and Korea doing well in international competitions?
>>
>>59354910
He left the sessions after one choke? Are you for real or just joking?
>>
>>59355017
Session*
>>59345023
Anon, I might be wrong, but are you implying Russia doesn't have strong Judo?
>>
>>59354910
Please, green text story time, this one seems too good.
>>
>>59338074
based and catchpilled
>>
>>59345600
Despite the memes, Herb is the gold standard in mma reffing.
By the way, I tried what you said and holy shit. It was a very slight punch, barely touching, but just moving the jaw fast was enough to disorient me very briefly.
>>
>>59355017
Not kidding. He did the drilling and shit and rolled like one time before that but that's how he went home lmao
>>
>>59313018
Probably bad translation from brapanese
>>
>>59355262
That's about it
>fat black rolls with me
>never seen this guy before
>sets up his phone to record it to show his friends
>I choke him super quick, he taps, he turns off his phone and goes home
>>
File: andy.jpg (44 KB, 480x360)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
How would one go about making their own martial art without it becoming bullshido? I think if you had the first belt be no sparring all technique / fitness and the second belt be a year or two of MMA style training revolving around standing, clinching and ground game you'd have a solid base to it at least.
>>
File: vlr9uikgzw9mari2ztgb.png (470 KB, 800x450)
470 KB
470 KB PNG
>>59355943
making a martial art is fucking easy, trying to figure out the name is hard.

how do you like mine
Kung Pao Chickpeas
>>
>>59346946
This looks good. The no branch stuff is all meme tier nonsense though.
>>
>>59355996
Apparently chickpeas is Yīng zuǐ dòu in mandarin, that actually sounds like a martial art.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.