[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1D5A5064_x650.jpg (72 KB, 1017x650)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
I was thinking of getting a bike and bike around town and shit. Running seems gay

I was recommended ropes but my gym doesnt have them
>>
>I was recommended ropes
Anon, I...
>>
>>58518038
Running causes so many injuries.
Cycling outdoors is fun and you can set the pace easy and still go relatively fast, the muscles also don’t get fucking hammered like in running so some people use it as a active recovery thing.
>>
>>58518074
>the muscles also don’t get fucking hammered like in running so some people use it as a active recovery thing.
can you explain this?

i never ran that much since hs but my muscles never ached from running? maybe hiking
>>
>>58518049
can you explain why its bad?
>>
>>58518038
go right ahead. Biking is fun and easier on the joints
>>
>>58518109
Well there are a lot of variables that can change wether someone gets pain from running (tibia external rotation is common) but it’s a very injury prone sport simply as you’re slamming your body weight into the ground with each step which is especially bad for people who strength train as they will always have a bigger mass.

Over time it can be fine but cycling is always going to be easier on ones body.
>>
>>58518038
mix biking with running for max gains.
i usually bike to comfy nature place then i run there for about 20 minutes and bike back.
on rainy days i do kettlebell swings
>>
>>58518213
>>58518216
what about swimming? i feel like swimming would be even easier on the body since youre being lifted up with buoyant forced
>>
>>58518109
When you run, your entire bodyweight comes down, in free fall, on one foot. A bajillion times.

Cycling doesn't involves that impact, and you can pedal pretty slowly too.

>>58518038
Best form of cardio SHOULD:
>be intense enough to reach your desired level of exertion for as long as you want
>be doable and safe year round, under any weather condition- snow, rain, sleet, heat, tornado, lightning
>have a low rate of annual injury as the whole fucking point is not to hurt yourself and to be able to continue doing it
>not put a high impact on your joints

So the answers then would be:
>High incline treadmill walking
>Stairmill
>Stationary bike
>indoor pool

Treadmills and stairmills can be set to your desired pace as well, so you can prop up a tablet or phone to watch and not worry about falling short on your pace- it'll be obvious
>>
>>58518266
it gets boring.
>>
>>58518322
>the whole fucking point
>>
>>58518266
Swimming is fine for a full body workout- it’s just some people don’t have access to pools or bodies of water. Plus, there’s a much lower (but nonzero) chance of drowning while biking.

If you can, do all three- bike, swim, run. Triathletes are some of the most fit athletes around.
>>
I'm a former runner who fucked up his knee last year. Even if you think you're running "properly" you're still doing some damage. It doesn't matter if you are at normal weight, you're STILL fucking your knees. This gets even worse when you have muscle imbalances
>>
>>58518266
Swimming is arguably one of the most beneficial (full body workout, entire cardiovascular system) and least injury prone sports
>>
>>58518388
also makes u tall as fuck if u did swimming when u were a child
>>
Biking around town is not exercise. Running at a good clip is great exercise. Pick who you want to be
>>
I personally like to bike for a couple hours going into full autism mode, but no one mentioned rowing that's fun too.
if you find yourself bored get stoned first
>>
>>58518422
What about biking around town at a good clip? Is that exercise?
>>
>>58518322
>When you run, your entire bodyweight comes down, in free fall, on one foot. A bajillion times.
but isnt this natural. like all humans used to run in primitive times. doesnt this build stronger legs? not to mention every animal does this.
>>
>>58518038
>Running seems gay
based retard
>I was recommended ropes
Yeah I second that, do neck hangs til failure massive faggot
>>
>>58518443
>going into full autism mode
what does this mean
>>
>>58518454
I think it’s great exercise. I can do 30 miles in about 2:40:00 on a shitty mountain bike and I burn about 1,500 calories and enjoy the scenery at about 12.5 mph.

Definitely give it a shot.
>>
>>58518629
>>58518049

i meant battling ropes
>>
>>58518612
Yeah, but our bodies weren’t designed to last longer than 40 years in those days.

Today, it’s expected you’ll live at least double that.

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long
>>
>>58518630
You bike around with your arms behind your back like Naruto while your entire playlist is full of Sonic soundtracks
>>
File: file.png (1.72 MB, 1100x789)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>>58518658
I meant ropes to kill yourself, running is the chaddest kind of cardio in existence fucking moron
>>
>>58518658
you can buy those retarded battling ropes on amazon for like 20$ by the way, be sure to buy a nice LGBT t shirt with then to let everyone know that you're literally afraid of running
faggot
>>
>>58518739
>I run, therefore it’s Chad
Get a load of this guy
>>
>>58519453
>most ancient sport known to man
>associated with great health by the brain of every single person in the world
>most of the first examples of athletes known to us from the ancient times were runners
>is literally the activity that burns the most calories of all
>lets you experience the true pain of aerobic exercise and what means being both the marble and the sculptor
>it's actually a fundamental skill for life and it has ever been since forever
>the world as we know it has literally been shaped by people who ran while you're with your fat ass on your gaming chair complaining about it on a mongolian forum
Yeah it's definitely chad

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.