[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Getting myself a tattoo in the near future, already have a specific place I want to use that I know has made some pretty impressive stuff in the past, and I want a near-copy of something they have given to someone else before. But I have never had a tattoo before, so I'd like some advice from anyone more experienced on this topic.

1. As someone very underweight, are there any places that shouldn't be used? My initial idea was either on the front or back of my shoulder, so it is generally covered when I'm regularly dressed. I have some muscle on my biceps, so that might also be an option if the general lack of fat in that area could be a problem.

2. Is there something I should keep in mind if I want text and a bit of colour to it? How much does it affect the time it takes, and how well do they age? The one colour tattoo I've seen aged pretty poorly over just about 10 years

3. How much time would a smallish tattoo like the picture attached generally take to get? Does that also depend on the placement? And how much more would it take if it was in colours?
>>
>>16362640

Tattoo is a marker for low self-esteem.
>>
>>16362641
Your opinion has been noted. I'm not doing this for anyone other than myself, so I'm not going to be talked out of it by someone else, either.
>>
>As someone very underweight

Why don't you get in shape first and develop your canvas?
>>
>>16362648
I'm in reasonably good physical shape, but my weight issue is a medical one. I'm 30 and have struggled with this for over a decade, and doubt I will change my body shape much for the reminder of my life at this point.
>>
>>16362659
What issue? Can you send some my way?
>>
>>16362663
Colitis coupled with some recurring metabolism issues. I can say with certainty that you definitely prefer to stay healthy, it is a massive chore it eat all the time only to avoid losing weight, and I practically have to stay in good physical shape if I don't want to have a slew of other health issues on top.
>>
>>16362640
please lord don't get a dumb tatoo. you'll look like an iditot at 40 years old.
>>
>>16362695
>you'll look like an iditot at 40 years old
>iditot
I’ll look like an iditot at 40 regardless
>>
>>16362673
Do you actually count your calories?
>>
>>16362647
>opinion
That is a fact, not an opinion. You can google it.
>>
>>16362695
I already look like an idiot.

>>16362705
Yes. I have a digital log book counting every calorie for 6 years going now. Doctors demands.

Not sure what this has to do with my questions.

>>16362733
Okay, still not sure why I should care.
>>
Don't
>>
>>16362640
>i want a copy of something they have done
DONT do this.
They probably wont even do it for you. And if they do then they have probably copied it from someone else.
You pay for the time it takes not the actual ink etc.
You are permanently scarring yourself. Find a artist you like and get something original.
Theres tons of tattoo artists who do insane work.. Dont fall for the meme and copy someone else. Find a good artist. Tell them your idea's. They will draw something up for you.
>>
>>16362772
>DONT do this.
>They probably wont even do it for you
I don't know if it's an original one, but it is a memoir to someone I lost, and I have confirmed the artist know what tattoo I'm talking about, and that they would be happy to give me a near-copy of it. It was originally on someones chest, and I can't get it there. Or won't, rather. And they aren't working off templates, so it won't be the exact same, and I was considering getting it a bit more colourful it that doesn't put the quality at risk.

And I do really like their work. This particular artist have done some really amazing stuff on my brother, and I trust him to deliver a well made one.

I'm not really concerned with the price. I'm just wondering how long I should expect to be worked on. I've heard some crazy long sessions, and multiple of them, and I'm more concerned about my ability to have someone work on me for that long.
>>
>>16362640
Time doesn't. Atter thwy will charge you a shop minimum. Small pieces generally look like shit, colour outaide of traditional/neo-traditional generally looks like shit. Any place that is boney is gonna hurt, don't be a pussy though.
>>
>>16362640
>Advice on first Tattoo?
Don't.

>>16362753
>still not sure why I should care
NTA, but you should care because it's not too late to avoid falling into the "ink = identity" trap. Tats are like a vapid pride stamp. But hey, if you want to lock your social circle in as dumb cunts, and nothing but dumb cunts, for the rest of your life... it *is* your skin.

>>16362788
>it is a memoir to someone I lost
I don't think they'll care either way, kek. In all seriousness, way to make someone else's passing all about you. Nice one. Cunt. Don't do something meaningful, like donate to a cause they cared about, dedicate a memorial, or create a piece of art... just get yourself mutilated by some douchebag.
>>
>>16362788
If its specifically a memoir to someone you lost why the fuck would you want a copy that's from someone else. If hes a good tattoo artist then he could alter it to fit you. And to the person you lost.
>bruh imma get a guy playing guitar to remember my bruddah who never picked a guitar up in his life
Do you realise how retarded it sounds? If hes good he could literally draw you something original up that you actually would want on your body. You want a memory of someone who is gone but instead you get a tattoo of a random..??
>>
>>16362808
>NTA
Jesus christ go back
>>
>>16362808
>it's not too late to avoid falling into the "ink = identity" trap
Evidently not what this is about. It's a reminder.

And I donated to a suicide fund after his death, but I don't see how that's relevant?

>>16362813
>why the fuck would you want a copy that's from someone else
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. It's a near-copy of a tattoo my brother had, and it's a symbol, not a picture of anyone. And it's one he really liked.

But sure, I can consider asking if the artist has a good idea for a design that would be fitting. He knew the guy that passed away at least a little bit, so he might have some ideas.

But Christ are you guys are really hostile towards this. I'm really not sure why You are this angry over me wanting a tattoo.
>>
>>16362640
Here is my #1 advice for getting a tattoo: Don't. Just don't.

It doesn't matter if it costs 50 or 5000 bucks, you will look like a buffoon. But if you must get one, you better ask a tattoo artist for advice.
>>
Fuck all the retards in this post, I don’t have any tattoos and can’t give you any advice but if you want to get a tattoo for your brother go ahead. I know you’re not getting it for fashion but tattoos can look fucking great as long as you’re already good looking and fit. I think of it like smoking, yeah probably not a good idea but it doesn’t mean it can’t look great in certain circumstances.
>>
>>16362852
Tbh get something that is more meaningful than just getting something that was probably taken off the first 10 results from google, you will be more glad longterm. There's alot of good artists who you can give a idea to and can give you something nice. This is some genuine advice that you never get on here usually
>>
>>16362788
>work on me for that long
People over exaggerate how painful it is, it just feels like a constant sunburn, you can easily sit for a long time
>>
>>16362640
I’ll actually answer your questions as someone with sleeves. Placement shouldn’t matter that much. Even bone skinny people can get tattoos wherever, it’s just that the most painful tattoos are where it’s skin on bone like collar bones, ribs, etc. it won’t make any other difference. Back of shoulder or chest is fine. If you’re unsure, the artist will be able to give you advice on placement. Color adds a bit of time and text takes quite a long time depending on the font and how much there is. Color tattoos need more frequent touch ups than grayscale. I’d only recommend color if it’s a traditional style tattoo that uses bold colors and thick outlines (ages better) or you’re pale. Pic related tattoo I’d expect to take somewhere between 3-4 hours. Colors might add on an extra hour. Don’t worry about the time too much. Both you and the artist will take breaks throughout.
>>
keeping your humanity and not getting it.
>>
>>16362640
>I want a near-copy of something they have given to someone else before.
wack
>>
>>16362772
This is such a retarded take. Back in the day if you went into a tattoo parlour, you picked something from the flash on the wall, non of this special snowflake bullshit about being original
>>
>>16363124
You do realise artists nowdays remove flash after its done on someone.. right???
>>
>>16363132
>nowdays
Exactly my point, the idea that a tattoo should be completely unique to you is an unnecessary invention of the past 20 years. Who cares if someone else has the same design? Its about how it looks
>>
>>16362852
>And I donated to a suicide
>suicide
Wait... this pussy fucking an hero'd, and you want to honor him? Lemme guess, he "struggled with addiction" amirite? Good riddance, move on with your life. Don't romanticize or validate the selfish decision he made, or the shit it put you and your family through. Fuck him. Simple as. I'm glad he's dead.

>it's a symbol, not a picture of anyone. And it's one he really liked
Is it a rope?

>I'm really not sure why You are this angry over me wanting a tattoo
"Angry" is a very strong word. But it boils down to 1. Tats are normie shit, like, painful, NPC levels of normie shit, and this is 4chan. 2. Tats generally look like shit, and this is /fa/. Double wammy.
>>
>>16363316
take a load of this special snowflake
>>
>>16363316

Calm down love
>>
>>16362640
>and I want a near-copy of something they have given to someone else before

If you're going to an artist asking for a copy of work they have done themselves then it shouldn't be an issue if you ask and explain why. If you're asking for them to copy some other artists work, they don't like that and will refuse it

>1. As someone very underweight, are there any places that shouldn't be used?
As someone else said, your weight doesn't matter and its really about skin to bone. But even that differs from person to person. In general the placement in your OP pic is where most people get their first tattoo. I got my 2nd tattoo on my collar bone and it honestly barely hurt. It differs for different people.

>2. Is there something I should keep in mind if I want text and a bit of colour to it?

I only have blackwork so don't know much about colour, but if you want text, check their Instagram and make sure they can actually do text. Sure artists work from stencils, but they can still fuck up text

>3. How much time would a smallish tattoo like the picture attached generally take to get?

My first tattoo was that size and general placement. Took about an hour and a half but depends on the design of course.
>>
>>16362753
Not trying to downplay your condition, m8. The reality is just that most people are fucking dumb and would rather do anything than count their calories which is where people can really make gains or losses.
>>
>>16362640
Handpokes are the way to go and are pretty effay if you do it right
Pic related is a cigarette i did on my gross ass foot a couple days ago, the shitty look of it adds to the authenticity and isnt as achievable with a gun. Its also just generally based to tattoo yourself
>>
>>16362640
>Advice on first Tattoo?
>1. As someone very underweight
Start lifting and go to a proper lean weight first of all.
>3. How much time would a smallish tattoo like the picture attached generally take to get?
At least 50€/$, I would expect 120 desu.
Dear op, don't waste your money on that. Save the money for something better: Good clothes, a trip, a car, laser surgery or simply to save money for the time when things go bad, maybe you can help your family in the future with it.
>>
>>16363124
Yeah and now everyone makes fun of the boomers with their horrible tattoos. Congrats, anon.
>>
>>16362819
it means "not that anon" you fucking retard
>>
>>16362641
Go to bed grandpa
>>
>>16364075
this isn't effay because you have hairy feet you gross cunt
>>
>>16366068
It's 2021 so in all likelihood your grandpa experienced the peak of tattoos being cool.
You live well after that where they are played out.
When every dumb teenage bimbo has tattoos all over her they are not cool anymore.
Think about it: you would never accept that a kind of jacket is really cool years after every normie got one.
You guys just want to maintain a bubble because you can't take tattoos off like you can a jacket.
>>
>>16366411
Shut up grandpa
>>
>>16366423
I bet your grandpa has at least one full sleeve.
>>
>>16366411
muh normies muh npc me different me special me no like thing because other people like thing
you're a weak little man
>>
>>16366411
>you would never accept that a kind of jacket is really cool years after every normie got one.

fuck you yeah i would
>>
>>16366493
I might be giving you too much credit saying you have a point but I guess your point is you want tattoos so you fit in?
I think I can respect that provided you don't try to imagine yourself as being cool for having them.
>>
>>16366531
Really? Why?
>>
>>16366536

what normies think and when has very little bearing on what i think would look good on me
>>
>>16366551
If you get the thing everyone is wearing then you are participating in the trend.
I don't buy that you are completely apart from trends but coincidentally participated in it.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1573578784532.jpg (368 KB, 1080x1350)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>16362640
Here's a legit advice, set up a professional photo shooting and get yourself some temporary tatts. Once you're done, make a meta looking IG/Tinder profile. Young sluts will wanna fuck you because of your mysterious badboy vibes and you'll have the best SEX SUMMER of your life.

They won't even notice that the tatts are not there anymore because of their low IQ. If they ask anyway, just tell them that you got them lasered off for personnal reason, which will give you extra mystery points. Even if they're not convinced, they won't refuse you sex if they're already half naked.

That's it anon, good luck, and keep working out.
>>
>>16366411
You're right, we're well past the "tattoos are cool" era. Tattoos are normalised. You get them because they look good, not because they look cool. It's like saying my grandpa experienced the peak of clothes being cool. How out of touch are you anon.
>>
>>16366533
me smart special boi me make decissions based on what other people do
me too special to do thing other people too
>>
>>16363316
lmao angry is the perfect word because normie shit seems to cause you actual pain. you sound so angry about someone getting a tattoo i wonder how bad shit is for you in real life
>>
>>16366411
>Think about it: you would never accept that a kind of jacket is really cool years after every normie got one.

this is the most retarded analogy. sounds like you can't make stylistic distinctions between things bud why are you even here
>>
>>16362772
I understand what you meant, by unique you mean a custom art made by the tattoo artist.
But by the amount of people getting tattoos, getting something that is truly original is almost impossible. Some retard probably already made a tattoo very similar to the one you're thinking.
>>
>>16368589
What about a cool scorpion in flames tattoo on my arm?
>>
>>16362640
Don't.
>>
>>16362640
>and I want a near-copy of something they have given to someone else before
That should be a signal that tells you not to do it.
>>
>>16368589
Thats the equivalent of saying
"anyone who designed a car after the first guy is unoriginal", which is a pretty warped way of thinking desu
You are only going to get something based of what you tell the artist
So its on you to give him a original idea
"bruh i want a skull" you will just get a generic skull in his style, this is exactly why any decent tattoo artist wont ever copy someone's work you found by principle
Also most as you said artists who can give you something "original", you are going to be waiting atleast 2-3 years for a appointment and a massively inflated price because of their popularity so they have very long waitlists and would probably require you to fly to another country
Theres a difference between traveling to someone good and making the extra effort, giving ideas for them to draw up and alter untill you like, and going to the first shop you find on insta thats 1 hour away with something stolen off the internet
>>
Also some cunt no matter how "original" your tattoo is
Some incel online will take it and copy it exactly anyway so its a lose lose
>>
>>16362753
>still not sure why I should care
Social signalling helps set your place in society. Permanent body mods send a stronger signal than daily clothing choices. It's worth considering how much you'll be hamstringing your future endeavors.
>>
File: elmayozambada.jpg (471 KB, 798x1206)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
>>16362640

Do you know?

The world's most dangerous cartel bosses, such as El mayo, Escobar, and El Chapo, did not have any tattoos.

If you enter a restaurant and public bath with a tattoo in Japan, you will be denied access. Because tattoos are the symbol of slaves and yakuza.

Scientists with the highest IQ in the world who have won the Nobel Prize and Fields Prize do not get tattoos.

Tattoos are engraved by losers who live rubbish lives like niggas, Hispanics, and poor gangs.
>>
>>16362640
>>
>>16370013
>t. has never been to Japan
They dont care about tattoos in gaijin you retard. You would never be denied entry to a resteraunt lmao. Public baths yes but private onsen are more kino anyway. Its not like muh anime you fucking nerd.
What is it about tattoo threads that brings out all the seething incels? I've got to wonder what backwater city in the 1960s you're all from if you think only gang members have tattoos lol.
Reminder that caring what other people do to their bodies is about the least masculine thing you can do.
>>
>>16371625
>I've got to wonder what backwater city in the 1960s you're all from if you think only gang members have tattoos lol.
In backwater cities tattoos mark you as low class and probably a substance abuser. Exceptions are for police, military, and mechanics, but people still assume you're probably at least an alcoholic.
>>
>>16362641
>>16362695
>>16362733
>>16362763
>>16362808
>>16362866
>>16362980
>>16363316
>>16365421
>>16366411
>>16369965
>>16370013
>>16371592
Keep seething, retarded cultist samefag.
>>
File: download.jpg (44 KB, 800x1200)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>16370013
youre going to sit here and tell me otzi the iceman was some low life nobody
>>
File: iceman-diagram.jpg (12 KB, 223x575)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
pure degeneracy according to poster >>16370013 right here folks
>>
>>16362640
don't get a tattoo is the best advise. only libtard losers get tattoos in the current year meme
>>
>>16362641
based. its for people wirh nothing to take about so they can talk about their self inflicted ink scars
>>
>>16362695
based again. why look like you have a skin diease
>>
File: samefag.png (43 KB, 730x559)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>16373566
>retarded
no u
sorry about your poor life choices, better luck next time
>>
>>16373576
I'm sure Ötzi was a good boy who dindu nuffin and was executed for no reason at all.
>>
>>16373574
Yes. >>16373612
>>
>>16362980
>keeping your humanity and not getting it.

based
>>
>>16373608
burn. he tried the NPC buzzword response and now looks like a fool.
>>
>>16371625
you mean faggos, right? sodomy isn't sex, therefore faggos are the real incels
>>
>>16364075
this may sound like hyperbole, but everything about this photo is fucking repulsive
>>
>>16364075
Not that someone who half-assedly stick-and-pokes a cig on their foot is likely to care, but you should fix your bunion before you get too old. It could be indicative of ankle pronation or other postural issues which could cause joint injury and pain which will only accelerate as you age.
>>
>>16370013
To what type of tryhard faggots cartel bosses are an inspiration?

Scientists who first of all are 60+ y/o are likely not to have any tattoo, thanks for figuring this out.

And this honsen thing is bullshit, I've been in one without any problem. Do you think a John McSmith white guy with a Carpe Diem tattoo will be mistaken for a yakuza?

How could you write this many sentences and prove you retardation in each of them?
>>
not having tatoos, not smoking, not taking drugs and liftings weights are counter culture now
>>
>>16364075
Why did you shave half your foot and not the toes and why did I look at this.
>>
>>16373803
>this thing is bullshit
holy fucking absolute lol
>>
File: 1610176425730s.jpg (6 KB, 249x243)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>16362640
Anti-tattoo fanatics on this website are fucking aids. Ignore them because they are literally irrelevant, as are you and me. People who cope for their personality with tatts are still a spec more interesting then the fucking losers who harp on them. Not having tatts doesn't make you morally superiors lmao, bitching about it just makes you look like a prude.

>1.
Inside of the forearm is always nice. Back of shoulder, closer to the neck is a good spot imo
>2.
Just avoid cursive script or anything too stylized as it just looks ghetto/trashy. I'm not a fan of colour, especially on text but that's just me. Time depends on the artist but at the shortest, maybe an hour? Everything that is done finely ages like shit, unless you commit to retouching it every couple of years.
>3.
1-2 hours I guess.
>>
>>16375239
His thread subject is, "Advice on first Tattoo?" He's literally asking Anons for advice, some of which is advice against tattoos. Having an opinion contrary to your own low-brow cope, and expressing it when explicitly asked, is hardly fanaticism.
>>
Be a sound cloud artist and get a rose on your hand and some other miscellaneous stuff
>>
>>16375666
you smell lower middle class
>>
>>16375666
Trips of truth have spoken.
>>
>>16376563
says the guy for tattoos.
>>
>>16376579
Yes, exactly. You smell lower middle class because you still hold onto the idea that tattoos are lower class, and that scares you -- but you don't realise that we've moved on from that and now tattoos are normalised among the real middle class.
>>
>>16376582
Tattoos are like dyed hair. Everybody and their mom has them it if they're insecure
>>
>>16376587
Okay. That's a different argument from "tattoos are lowbrow". I'm not interested in arguing about the insecurity of people with dyed hair.
>>
>>16376582
>>16376600
I said that your cope was low-brow, not that all tattoos are inherently low-brow.
>>
>>16362640
Here's something nobody talks about... Tattoos MAY course severe burning if you are put into an MRI. This is thought to be caused by metals put into the ink. Even if the tattoo artist tells you that the ink doesn't include metals you can't really trust him because in many cases, the ink contains substances not in the ingredient list.
>>
>>16364075
don't mind the haters anon, that tat is extremely based
>>
>>16376600
Neither am I, what I'm saying is that getting a tattoo, and another, and another won't rid you of your insecurities. Better work on yourself first than getting a permanent reminder of how awful you feel about yourself
>>
Do someplace that isn't too crazy like anywhere above the neck or near your groin. Arm or legs tattoos are pretty standard and you can do in your chest if not too big, that is the most safe bet.

Get a drawing that is more regular and reflect something that you could see enjoying in 10 or 20 years instead of your latest favorite game or movie. Consoomer tattos are the worst because it's the most vapid thing and your taste will change over the years.
>>
>>16362640
Wait until you're 25 and I promise you will not want a tattoo then
>>
>>16370013
>I'm not a cartel boss
>I'm not japanese
>I'm not a Nobel Prize winner
I'm in the clear, time to get tatted up!
>>
>>16362640
I think tattoos are retarded, nothing in life is meaningful enough to be engraved on my skin, the only pass I give is for tribal tattoos and I'm not talking about the ones that hipsters get that symbolize whatever bullshit they makeup, I'm talking about actual traditional tattoos worn by members of an actual tribe most likely in the jungles of Africa.
>>
>>16377575
I want to get a tattoo because they look fucking good, anon.
>>
>I want a near-copy of something they have given to someone else before

Dude, don't do that. It's basic tattoo etiquette to not copycat other people's design choices. Think for yourself, come up with your own ideas. If you're really committed to imitating another person, go for it, but anybody who finds out that you got it because somebody else got it is going to think less of you.

>underweight, any places that shouldn't be used

Underweight is good for tattoos if you plan on being underweight forever, but just be mindful that any weight gain you get that naturally stretches skin is going to stretch your tattoo. Specifically stomach, thighs, biceps, pecs/titties. Basically wherever the bone is close to the skin and doesn't get fat or saggy with age will keep its shape for longer.

Having said that, there is such a thing as high value canvas. These are areas that are highly visible or large. Most people don't think much about getting a tattoo on their arse or feet, because they rarely see it. A tattoo on your hands or face has gotta be well thought out, because it's always visible. I personally believe the entirety of the arms, the chest, and back are high value canvas for men, and arms, thighs, and shoulders are high value canvas for women.
>>
If you don't plan on getting many tattoos, the forearm is a good place to get a tattoo that is reasonably easy to cover with long sleeves that is visible and will age well, but most people tend not to get very good tattoos for their first few tattoos because they don't understand how tattoos age or how they take to the skin very well. I preserved my arms until after I'd covered a lot of my chest and torso because I wanted to make damn sure I got good designs on my arms, since they're so visible.

>want text and colour

Colour fades, but not THAT much, especially if you get it redone. Black looks the same forever, white and yellow disappears in less than a year, blue holds the longest, red fades the most in terms of intensity. If you want to get text, make it readable. Don't get graffiti script or metal album font. Anything done too finely will age like shit, no matter how you live your life.

"Bold will hold" the simpler the tattoo, the better it's going to look over time, but aged tattoos have their own appeal, like vintage furniture.
>>
>>16377848
>most likely in the jungles of Africa

Is that a thing? I have seen tribal scars on Africans but never heard of them having trad tattoos.
>>
>>16379139
I've only seen paint and scars. Woke Wikipedia doesn't list anything for sub-Saharan Africa in their long list of ancient and traditional tattooing practices:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tattooing#Ancient_and_traditional_practices
>>
>>16377848
This. Urban tattoos look gross and trashy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.