[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: CraftsmanSockets.jpg (164 KB, 1000x1000)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
Hey /diy/, would this be a good socket set for an AMT? I'm donna be graduating my tech school soon and need to build a box to get me started.
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-299-pc-easy-to-read-socket-set/p-A028690707
I was told most airplane fasteners are 12 point, but I could use the 6 points at the house for the car since I do my own wrenching if I don't end up needing them. I'm not looking to spend $1,000's on a Snap-On or Matco set because everyone I talked to in my field says we don't need the same tools a car mechanic would, and to spend the money . Would these be serviceable enough for a beginner A&P technician? Thanks.
>>
>>2546092
> I'm donna be graduating my tech school soon
So you are in in tech school but DIDNT sign up with Mac Matco and SnapOn for student discounts?
They give you HUGE discounts on boxes and tools when you can prove you are in school.
I joined community college for the GM Asep program, got a Snapon tool kit and then dropped out lel.

My buddy is a helicopter guy with an A&P license and whatever else, everyone in his hangar has 50" Snap On toolboxes.

Spend the thousands of dollars now when you can get the shit cheap, bring all the tools you dont end up using home for your own personal use.
Dont think short term, think long term because you are going to be buying these tools anyways, and you are going to be using them for the next 40 years everyday.
>>
You don't need everything in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive.
>>
>>2546092
>shopping at Sears in 2023
Check out Gearwrench
>>
>>2546105
This guy wrenches.

But I like pre-chinkshit SK Tools sockets.
>>
>>2546092
how are you graduating school and don't know what tools you need to do your job?
>>
>>2546092
Many are spline drive too so for some aircraft you may need those Aviation is definitely the place for quality tools but best to copy actual A&Ps where you expect to work.

I would gradually accumulate high quality ratchets, sockets, universals and universal sockets since much of your work in engine bays etc will benefit. You don't want to shatter a cheap universal joint etc in a cockpit or engine bay.

Gearwrenches are fine. You'll want 1/4" and 3/8" drive speed handles and when you buy bits to suit whatever you work in buy in bulk. You want small and large safety wire pliers of course. Hit aviation supply sites to study what's out there. When you need something immediately from the tool truck franchisee it will be expensive.

Random example:

https://www.browntool.com/Listview/tabid/344/CategoryID/354/Level/a/productid/3563/Default.aspx

When I ran an USAF Inspection Section tool room I got to choose what worked best but that ain't cheap. One company doesn't sell everything so add as tasks and personal research indicate. Snap-on pretty much rules aviation for sockets and wrenches but there's no need to overpay for long needlenose (they all bend) so many contractors buy Harbor Freight and treat them as disposable.

Lista make the greatest tool boxes but you don't need one starting out. Harbor Freight boxes are a fine place to cut corners safely. (Loctite the hardware because FOD is bad.)

Flashlights waste a hand so get a couple/three bright cheap LED headlamps. They're great task lighting,

reddit etc have some good aviation groups. You REALLY need to learn the aviation world and 4chan is not the place. Be patient and thorough. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

t.avionics (Bronco, Phantom), engines (Pratts and GEs) then crew chief on F-16s. Loved it and the retirement is glorious. I got my A&P while in but much prefer military aviation.
>>
>>2546105
^is wise
>>
>>2546092
Recent Craftsman aren't as good as they used to be, ratchets in particular.
>>
>>2546092
>because everyone I talked to in my field says we don't need the same tools a car mechanic would
I have a feeling they mean you dont need 20 different socket sets. Which is exactly what you are trying to buy, the shit they told you not to buy.
>>
>>2546092
>12 point fastener vs conventional 12 point wrench
if you don't understand the difference you should really stay in school
>>
>>2546092
I'm gonna borrow your 10mm real quick.
>>
>>2546092
the jew has tricked the work force into thinking your skill = the cost of your tools. buy snap on or nothing
>>
>>2549597
This
Why would you bother with cheap chinkshit if you're going to use it everyday? Buy once cry once
>>
>>2546105
Didn't Snap-on make some box that's specifically for aircraft mechanics that has drawers on two sides? It has some kinda goofy nickname that I can't remember but I see them pop up on classified sites once in a while.
>>
>>2546092
Get impact sockets
>>
>>2546092
Williams. Cheap and good quality because it's basically snap-on without the branding and some minor differences. You'll want to pair them with a ratchet that has a lot of gear teeth because trust me, there are a lot of shitty places in aircraft where you will have barely enough room to get your hands in and can only ratchet 1-3 teeth at a time. I personally have used the Home Depot 144 position ratchets (the black ones) because they're fairly smooth, again very cheap, and comfortable to hold. I've never had one break and I've done heavy checks, engine changes & mods for airplanes for 2 years now. As for wrenches, i have a set from gearwrench that haven't failed me yet either
>>
>>2550611
Careful with williams...a lot of their line is made in Taiwan now. Cross check all model numbers to make sure their made in USA. Those are great. If you want Snap-on at not snap on prices look into Wright tools too. Made in Ohio 100%. Nice wrenches and decent ratches/sockets.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.