[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 70 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: th-3561935450.jpg (22 KB, 474x266)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
This frightens and confuses the europoor
>>
>>2541465
>he doesn't feed his piggies with food wastes
>>
>>2541465
it frightens me too, and i'm a burger that uses my garbage disposal all the time.
it's only supposed to be used for incidental small stuff that goes down the drain, not to intentionally take fistfuls of scrap. i have to snake my kitchen drain once a year already, some people must like doing it every week.
>>
>>2541465
What's the purpose of this thing? They don't have trash bins in the USA?
>>
>>2541532
Plumbers gotta eat too
>>
>>2541471
>i have to snake my kitchen drain once a year already
Lol what? Europoor living in a commieblock from the '50. Literally never had to snake or clean my pipes for the last 20 years
>>
>>2541532
I read somewhere in the US they have meme pipe diameters so they need this stuff otherwise it clogs the pipes in their commie block apartments.
>>
>>2541465
You have made this thread before. We simply prefer not clogging the sewer system.
>>
>>2541598
>We simply prefer not clogging the sewer system
read >>2541590 and >>2541471
obviously I can't talk for the rest of the world but at least I don't throw food through the sink
>>
>>2541598
Um sweaty, the purpose of the device is to grind the food into a paste so it can go down the sewer system.
>>
>>2541567
lol
>>
>>2541597
3" is generally for single family homes. In an apartment block, that diameter will increase as more and more branches connect to it.
>>
>>2541465
Why are you not composting or feeding ro your chickens/animals???????????????¿???
>>
File: 1636604549634.jpg (2.8 MB, 4032x3024)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
imagine living in a city and hooking your house up to public utilities lmao
>>
>>2541567
So? What do they need the leftovers to be ground into a paste, do they not have teeth?
>>2541614
The garbage disposal is the poop knife of kitchen sinks.
Instead of buying some special tool to deal with your loads, how about you make the plumbing big enough to take it?
>>
>>2541465
Don't use that. Use your municipal compost program or use a compost bin at home.
>>
>>2541468
based farmer brownskin
>>
>>2541468
I feed them bodies. That will teach those women to laugh at me.
>>
File: 1663973035816.jpg (147 KB, 500x500)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>2541465
That's not trash but nutrients for gas producing bacteria that drives the public transportation.
Therefore we collect food scraps in paper bags which is thrown in a separate trash container and collected by the municipality.
>>
>>2541722
Gas production is bad for the environment.
>>
>>2541689
>compost bin at home
Retard, you cant compost organic matter in your flat. It would take months to create proper compost and would stink to high heavens.
>>
>>2541722
Any modern sewage treatment plant will also collect the gas. Surely it's more efficient to do it all in one place and not have to transport the food waste separately. In fact I've seen places in Europe subsidise garbage disposals for this reason.

>>2541779
Perhaps, but the alternative is to burn fossil gas. At least this is renewable, and the carbon dioxide would be released into the atmosphere anyway with aerobic composting. So why not make the best use out of it that you can?
>>
>>2541722
You could atleast have used the biodegradable plastic bags the sensible parts of the country use instead of the disgusting paper ones.
>>
>>2541465
Sorry, we don't feed rats
>>
>>2541722
this
At least in the real europe (western).
The garbage truck comes and take the recyclables, the compostables, the glass, and the rest. They're in seperate bins. The compostables go to some place and they make gas with it apparently
>>
>>2541465

>putting extra stuff into the sewer system so the water treatment plant has to spend time and money removing excess food from the waste water and dispose of it instead of just tossing the food in the trash so it goes directly to the landfill where it will breakdown anyways and eliminate the middle man that is the waste treatment plant

do people really? garbage disposal is for stupid lazy fucks who cant just toss the scraps in the trash. food wont hurt the environment in the landfill. it will decompose and be gone, as well as the landfill wildlife will eat it. and the cycle will continue
>>
On septic so we don’t bother. Building our coop so chickens will get most scraps that the dogs don’t get. We plan to get some pigs as well.
>>
>>2541465
Non-helpless Burgers feed their food scraps to their chickens then get delicious eggs far tastier than storeshit.
>>
>>2541471
:0
>>
>>2541471
Get a better one. I used to shove all kinds of stuff in mine. Flushed a ton of foods too before i moved out of an apartment once. Amazing what a pipe can take.
>>
>>2541878
Biodegradable plastic just means it won't be around for ever, not that it's reasonably compostable, which paper actually is.
>>
File: itjustwerks.jpg (30 KB, 610x610)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>2541465
>>2541471
Leave it to you yanks to just overcomplicate a simple thing.
>>
>>2541465
i don't understand the purpose do you not have garbage bins?
if you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have garbage disposal then you can just compost food waste easily anyway
>>
>visit “wealthy” Western Europe
>find out these niggas are still yet to discover in-unit clothes dryers, garbage disposals, air conditioning, etc.

lol, lmao even
>>
>>2541465
Why the fuck would you throw vegetables in the garbage disposal?
>>
>>2542536
nah
it starts leaking after two days of wet
it gets broken down surprisingly quickly
>>
Garbage disposals are puzzling
Just one more useless thing invented for the sole purpose of being bought
>>
>>2542702
>visit "wealthy" North America
>find out these niggas are still yet to discover public healthcare, insulated walls, heat pumps, etc.

lol, lmao even
>>
>>2541871
but you're a burger, u smell like shit anyway...
>>
This thread has only proven the ops point
>>
I put scraps in a bucket which I eventually dump in holes I did where the garden will be.
>>
My pipes can handle the occasional scraps without using the disposal, but I do feed the majority of scrap to the neighborhood rabbits.
>>
I installed one of these in line with my toilet so I don't need to use a poop knife any more.
>>
>>2545726
based american

>>
No it doesnt, it disgusts me.
>>
>>2543167
We have all those lol

The public healthcare is just shit is all
>>
>>2541673
>day
eaten by grizzly bear
>night
abducted by aliens or horror film monstrosities
>>
>>2546103
And the only thing from that other list we don't have in Europe is the garbage disposal, because it's asinine.
>>
Chickens or compost bin. I'd rather not waste. Been thinking of composting poo, too. 5 years pretreatment before application, obviously.
Why'd we give the purchased nutrients away for free or pay for it?
>>
>>2541468
Sadly I don't own any Ukrainians yet.
>>
>>2541465
Do they really not have garbage disposals?
Also how easy is it to DIY the full installation including electrical? I've never done anything with electricity so should I hire an electrician to do the wiring and switch?
>>
File: simply.jpg (32 KB, 768x768)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2541598
>We simply prefer not clogging the sewer system.
>>
>>2541871
Hey retard its called vermicomposting, red wigglers and a box.
>>
>>2542551
What is the purpose of this device?
>>
>live in a 9 story commieblock
>throw out small food waste out of the window when it gets dark
Not my problem, no need for fancy gadgets
>>
>>2543855
d'aww year of the rabbits
>>
>>2541465
Euro fags don't even have ACs or washers/dryers. They still use clothers lines. And you are posting a garbage disposal? Lol. They don't even know what that is.
>>
Genuinely, what is the point? It doesn’t save time or effort because scraping food into the bin is just as easy. If anything the installation/maintenance seems like it’s more work than just using the bin. Given that you need a bin anyway for larger food waste, what the FUCK is the point
>>
>>2547773
Russians*
>>
>>2541471
That's the thing, it's just meant to grind up the scraps you scrape off your plates before you put them in the dishwasher. The problem is that most people are fucking stupid and try to stuff all kinds of weird shit in it that doesn't belong.

>>2541532
Putting food waste in your kitchen trash bin makes it stink.

>>2541670
Most Americans don't have chickens or farm animals because they live in cities.

>>2542331
On septic? Oh, so you're a hillbilly. Got it.

>>2549869
World War II really bombed them back to the fucking Stone Age. They're about 20 years behind the US.
>>
>>2549869
>washers/dryers
imagine wasting energy and money in something that you don't need, the average american
>>
>>2548803
Stops large things going down the drain
>>
>>2551920
>Putting food waste in your kitchen trash bin makes it stink.
wut
I walk 50m and throw it into a dumpster every day
>>
>>2541871
Search "bokashi" compost, maybe you'll change your mind
>>
>>2541465
simply feed it to livestock or compost it
>but I don't have a gard-
a man without his own garden is an animal and deserves to wallow in his stinking garbage
>>
>>2542533
Pipes aren't meant to take anything but a liquid. Food scraps, no matter how well blended, don't tend to move smoothly through a pipe. Stop being a lazy asshole and just dump the scraps into the trash before you wash your dishes.

Or feed them to the cat/dog/chickens/pigs.
>>
>>2551913
calm down diarrhea stateeta
>>
>>2541906
>we don't feed rats
I wonder why this comes up so rarely. That's the reason i don't do it (or at least try for the most part). I never had a problem flushing down anything i want throuh european pipes.

>>2543088
>Just one more useless thing invented for the sole purpose of being bought
This is most probably the main reason they exist like a lot of other US style trash.

>>2549869
>Euro fags don't even have ACs or washers/dryers.
We have (or at least some do) but most people try to not waste energy for useless reasons. From my experience pretty much everything heating/cooling related, especially insulation, doors, windows and other household devices are superior in western europe and a lot less wasteful. Americans seem to be very susceptible to peer pressure and what instagram or the tv tells them to buy.

I didn't even have a fan (which was like 25€) up to last year why would i double my energy consumption with an AC to kick a few days of minor discomfort a year. Different story if you live under the roof of a 150 year old apartment building but still with the high consumption you won't even equal the ressources wasted for production when that thing goes to the dump.

It's not like people here are very educated and understand green washing vs real sustainability but against average Americans they are all Einsteins.
>>
>>2541465
Greece here.
I can't even throw toilet paper in the toilet.
>>
>>2547252
>abducted by aliens or horror film monstrosities
As if being part of an X-Files episode was a bad thing
>>
File: but why.jpg (78 KB, 550x550)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2542533
>Flushed a ton of foods too before i moved out
why are americans like this.
>>
File: garbage-disposal-1.jpg (1.46 MB, 2048x1536)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>2543088
It's one of those things that made boomer-ettes feel like they were living in the fucking future. "What, now I don't have to put these icky table scraps from cooking way more food than people will eat into the trash bin? I want one NOW!"
I'm genx and I never used that shit. They have only been trouble to me, and are always broken even though I don't use them (probably *because* I don't use them).
The drain from the dishwasher goes to it, and right now it's broken in a way that it just floods into the area under the sink if I use the dishwasher. It took me a while to figure out why that board on the bottom sagged like it had been wet. I need to get around to fixing it eventually. I'm not even sure what to do with that hose if I removed the disposal.
(pic not mine)
>>
>>2541722
sug en kuk bögjävel du anar inte vilket skitsystem vi har
>>
>instead of 1$ round grid on the drain and throwing it in the bin when it fills up, Americans put an electric woodchipper into the drain
how fucking lazy can you be? that's such a waste of money its unreal
>>
>>2541614
Why not just have food waste bin that is collected once a week?
>>
I'd like to get one to make a home biogas digester. Normally I have a separate bin for organic disposables and I empty that onto the compost pile, but that can get a bit annoying in a long dark winter. So my thought is to use an IBC tote in the basement to make a tank that's basically the same as the euro waste management ones but on a much smaller scale.
>food waste goes in sink
>flip on the switch
>ground up food generates some natural gas and fertilizer sludge
>???
>profit
>>
>>2543167
I just got back from the trip to the US and I was so shocked at how far ahead soft drink technology is in America. They have literally harnessed the power of colours and turned them into beverages. I can't live without a "blue" flavoured drink every day, though that might just be the addictive chemicals
>>
>>2541598
>having a sewer system
kek
>>
>>2541465
That shit just attracts rats.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.