[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.16 MB, 1280x720)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
Breaking a Sweat From Discussing Your Rotary Converter Edition
old thread: >>2479557
Thread Hymn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgBpsNPQ50
>>
>>2513587
first for FUCK INDEXABLE DRILLS

also why do all my boring bars cut .006" small? it's not the pocket, it's not the insert, it's not the bar itself and it's not the material.
>>
>>2513598
tool holder and/or post is shit probably
>>
>>2513608
the tool holders i am provided have very obviously encountered a part or spinning jaws at some point. sounds about right. i know it's not the turret or pocket
>>
>>2513598
I've never tried it because I'm a shit machinist who takes a million half thou passes off the DRO until I get the fit I want but it sounds like your bar placement leads to a deflection into the "short" measurement under load
>>
>>2513758
>I've never tried it because I'm a shit machinist who takes a million half thou passes
me. i don't even take half thousandth passes, i just do dry passes until it goes to size. on the most recent part i've been working on i couldn't even do that, i had to shave 2 thou off it then start my dry passes. it's hardened material so that may be why
>>
Finally got this bitch working after a year of sitting around :3
>>
>>2513806
Depths were wayyyy too deep and I had no clearing so my tool gummed up on the finishing pass but like, i made a lil test thing with it !!
>>
>>2513806
>>2513807
Yeah you have to watch you sneeds & feeds with those tiny machines. I have a snapmaker, and you can do aluminum with it, but you have to set roughing passes to like .75mm and finish passes to .1mm. 12k rpm with a 4-flute 2.5mm carbide endmill.
you can't do a whole hell of a lot with that, but if you want to put some db9 cutouts into a piece of 3/32" angle aluminum, it's just what the doctor ordered.
>>
>>2513587
novice here, what tool do i need to cut gears manually? i have an idea for a steam engine valvetrain i want to try
>>
>>2514282
Technically, all you need is an appropriately sized file and some patience.
Failing that, there are quite a few options, any one of which would depend on
>your budget
>your machine(s) (if any)
>the fixturing and indexing you have available on the machine(s) we have no way of knowing that you own
>the type of gear to be made
>the material you want to make the gear out of
>the gear's size
>the number of teeth
>and so on
You might as well have gone into /fa/ and said
>novice here, what tool do i need to make shoes manually? i have an idea for a sneaker i want to try
Where do you retards come from?
Why are there so many of you?
Why are you all retarded in the exact same way?
What is keeping you from dying in retarded catastrophes?
>>
>>2514282
Depends on the type of gear and the tooth profile. For simple spur gears the best options are shaper and horizontal milling machine. A vertical mill could also do the job, but the set up would be a bit awkward and a lot less rigid than a horizontal. In all cases you need an indexing fixture. For milling processes you would need to purchase the correct cutter for your desired pitch. With a shaper you just need a single point tool, which you could probably grind by hand.
>>
I thought I could use tnmg inserts on these tool holders but apparently they can only use tpg ones. do the chip breakers that you have to stack on top of the flat inserts actually work?

>>2513807
the surface finish on the outside of the boss looks way worse than the inside of the pocket. were you climb milling for both of them?
>>
>>2514282

Realistic bare minimum? A rotary table with dividing head and some gear cutters.

You could get fancy and motorize the table, sync it with an encoder on the spindle, and use a hob. You would be more than fine with the approximations the cutter set generates if it's just an experimental one-off, I think.
>>
>>2514294
no one is a machinist except us dude. its probably some tourist who saw the thread and thought "oo these guys make shit how i make shit???" and just hit post. asking questions is cool but asking questions without all the info is retarded
>>
File: cnclathe.jpg (120 KB, 980x590)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
On a scale of yes to no, should I buy a CNC lathe and convert it into a manual? I see these old CNC lathes going for cheap at auctions. I don't mind sinking a lot of time into it, but I'm small brained and don't really understand controllers to well. I would just want the main spindle motor anyways, though I would be willing to buy another motor due to how cheap some of these lathes go for.
>>
>>2514563
If you can't figure out how to work CNC I don't think performing a huge, questionably plausible downgrade conversion is a good idea. If the older controls are too intimidating and slow you could retrofit with Mach4 or LinuxCNC.
>>
Admitted weeaboo here, but I want to actually do something with it
How would I go about turning one of these collapsible canes into a sword?
Im figuring that I would need to make like a pushpin or trigger in a handle that lets it out
I just am very smooth brain and can barely keep my car running
Its strong enough Ive put a hole in my wall when I held it backwards
>>
>>2514675
So are you trying to cosplay?
If you wanted something youd have to build it from scratch and its not going to telescope down that small.
>>
>>2514687
Yes
I have no interest in trying to make a weapon out of this
Itd probably be easier to just use a hammer

The cane pops free when you pull the pin, it then shoots out, and the pin is at the end about 4 feet away
I though of just having a little piece of string I could pull, but trying that just got me a cut when it ripped the thread through my fingers
Its armed by pushing or my preference twisting it down into shape
Then the pin dangles freely to be reinserted
Im cruious what tools and things to get if I wanted to make this into a sword looking thing
I was thinking that the scabbard might be solid and the hilt havelike a hole this is in
So I could like push a button somwhere and launch this out

Im not good at being creative, but I can follow instructions well enough I only need to take my car to the shop when it comes to dropping the subframe
Otherwise i can just do it myself, from the rack and pinion being replaced to filling the headlights with fresh bulbs
>>
>>2514692
Just take it and pound it flat with a hammer and see if it still works. If it doesn't then you need a totally different mechanism. You shod probably get a trick sword like a sword swallowing one that already does 95% of what you want. Try to figure out how tonspring load the trick sword insteD of how to hammer a spring flat
>>
why are the most skillfull machinist regardless of age all alcoholics?
>>
>>2514824
or heavy smokers. funny how that works.
>>
>>2514824
This is every trade
>>
>>2514563
I guess I just want to make a manual lathe out of a CNC. I'm not sure if I can explain why, I'm just drawn to the idea. I guess it's mostly because they are so cheap, not because it makes sense.
>>
>>2514911
>I guess it's mostly because they are so cheap
They arent cheaper than large manual machines
Have you even looked at the footprint of those milling centers before? Or the weight?
>>
>>2514927
>>2514911
Are you talking about those cnc router sets with like a 3 inch depth?
>>
>>2514892
really just everything. everyone's an alcoholic, and/or drug addict, and/or pill popper, and/or...
>>
File: PXL_20221207_010536285.jpg (1.82 MB, 4032x3024)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>2513587
:(
>>
how to become machinist ?
>>
>>2514911
It's a false economy, intensely retarded and unlikely to work well, and the way you see machines and money is broken. If you really want a lathe then do the needful. Old CNC shit is cheap for good reasons.

Bring money, have rigging gear handy so your cash buys machines instead of someone else's labor then relentlessly hunt deals. Be willing to drive long distance and own or rent suitable truck and trailer. Hydraulic drop decks are rentable and insanely nice.
>>
>>2516927
Formal training because you need a solid background. Then find a shop who will hire you if want job. For hobby absolutely take formal training. Then you'll be able with some personal study to evaluate used machine tools.
>>
>>2516927
BTW Pell grants, lottery money and other programs make US trade education free or very inexpensive. I worked for the local CC after taking welding and machinist programs for fun so it might get you a job. My bro was a natural and they tried to permanently hire him but he's retired and prefers a light schedule. Teaching trades often pays better than the trade itself and four day weeks are awesome.
>>
File: sackler.jpg (17 KB, 306x389)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2516835
>>
>>2516873
Are you unironically holding a morse taper in a jacobs chuck?
>>
>>2516927
Sell your soul, start doing opiates
>>
>buy tool from closing down machine shop
>they throw in a bunch of old rusty drills
>take the rust off with evaporust and scotchbrite where necessary

no wonder this shitty shop closed, half the drills had shitty chewed up collars badly welded over their factory tapers, and/or the factory tapers were badly turned down to 1/2" shanks (on 2" diameter drills). absolute redneck shit
>>
>>2517100
Wasn't my idea. Surprisingly, it worked.
>>
>>2514892
>>2516835
>>2517082
I'm the general foreman (boss) and I'm the drunkest one around. All my techs are pretty good and the lousy techs MIGHT be better if they drank more or used drugs-- I'd trust them more if the did anyway. Most are dumb, not drunk or high. The worst ones are the social rejects (spectrum) who still have a wife and kids to feed. They are intensely repellent and reduce the productivity of everyone around.
>>
>>2514294
The thing is, if he knew enough to include all of those answers, he probably would know at least the basic idea of how to cut gears.
Every hobby gets these people, they know of the hobby/skill but not really what's practical or what it takes to accomplish anything other than it can be done.
>>
>>2514294
>Where do you retards come from?
>Why are there so many of you?
>Why are you all retarded in the exact same way?
>What is keeping you from dying in retarded catastrophes?

Good machinist forums are moderated because idiots should be shunned for defiling useful conversations. 4chan is amusing but not serious business

When I was a novice anything I put in the fucking work to never need spoonfeeding and so I could keep my questions professional. If I don't study (any) subject thoroughly before asking I don't deserve a response. "Lurk moar faggot" didn't happen by accident.

Questions should reflect study including studying WHAT to study. That's served me well for several decades.
>>
>>2517978
>being so diligent and careful about the meta aspects of learning
>not using this to become something more than a $25/hr machinist
if you're as you say, you fucked up by not becoming a doctor or engineer or something. diligent study habits are basically all that separates a poor nig and a rich one, all natural talent aside
although, being afraid to ask questions is how a lot of people fail tough subjects in school
>>
I just started a job and they do all bevels with pencil die grinders. I mean it works, but it's hard as fuck.
>>
how do I get a job at a place with a/c and paid vacation without having to work in a literal sweat shop first?
>>
I need to send my instruments to my company's metrology department. Everything needs to be permanently marked, otherwise they will do it, with a pneumatic engraver. Everybody else does it, and it doesn't seem to be a big deal, but it really rubs me the wrong way to subject sensitive tools to so much vibration and compromise the coating or plating. It looks ugly too. Are there any better ways to do this? Am I just being retarded?
>>2519432
Any idea why? I'm having a hard time thinking of any good reasons to do that rather than milling them or even just using something bigger than a pencil grinder.
>>
>>2519533
laser etching on the non-sensitive areas
>>
>>2519533
You could get an acid etching/electrolysis marking kit. Like the Etch O Matic.
>>
>>2513598
how do you set your tools in X? Do you compensate for whatever you use to touch them off? Using a tool eye?

>>2513807
make sure you are climb cutting that boss for a better finish.
>>2514282
if theyre straight gears like a bicycle then really you just need a cut off wheel tool, drill and some files. If its more complex than that you need an actual gear cutter machine or a 5 axis mill.
>>2514563
this is a bad idea. Buy a real manual lathe and be done with it. Becareful you can kill yourself easily on a manual lathe.
>>
>>2519533
>Any idea why? I'm having a hard time thinking of any good reasons to do that rather than milling them or even just using something bigger than a pencil grinder.

I don't know honestly, the instructions call for a radius, but they do bevels for the step. They come off a DIY grade CNC plasma cutter running at high speed so they have a lot of dross. The machinists will also not use a bigger than 360 degree circle apparently because they are running it at absolutely absurd speed to speed production up only for it to end up a shop dedicated to beveling.

The pencil grinders are also exceptionally old and the plastic hoses are so brittle that they crack. I am about to quit it since it's literally some ADHD guy as team lead who has been there for like 4 months talk about how he's been grinding for 15 years or some shit. I tested his knowledge and the guy has never even heard about abrasive powder...

It's also a crazy drive to get there, but looks like everyone quit.
>>
>>2520167
This place sounds like a shitshow lol
>>
File: ZomboMeme 20102022093330.jpg (245 KB, 1200x1200)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
https://www.minds.com/groups/profile/1148770823156862976/feed

Cnc dude reporting in
>>
File: 1671030203967.jpg (49 KB, 1024x765)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>push tool in instead of out on the lathe
>all smiles
>>
>>2520489
I actually quit. The Work supervisor was a dick.

Here is a video of what I did, but imagine for dross covered pieces, like literally cutting through an 1/16 inch of metal with porosity to reshape the part x 80 pieces.

Shit was absolutely a shitshow, only reason they stayed in business was because the owner owned everything in the shop already including the business. The rubber air hoses on the pencil grinder were so frail that they would crack apart if bent wrong.
>>
>>2522214
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aOS_loBG9A

Forgot video.
>>
>>2522214
>I actually quit
Kudos, good luck finding work somewhere less insane
>>
>>2522218
Might end up become an IT support since coming out of the military as a engineer, I am getting Cisco and Comptia certs for free, but welding certs are insanely hard to get into despite actually having a degree in it, also the pay is better. I could join a union, but the commitment is super long. It's really strange being seen as entry level by someone who literally mops floors for a living.

Most of my stuff my actually be hobbyist or small business related unless it's car or industry IT related.
>>
>40 year old coworker cannot for the life of him understand the difference between designing and making a part vs running a part
>Believes 5axis aerospace programmer and day one button pusher should and do have the same title because button make part
Career button pushers are a joke. These people have been pressing cycle start longer than I've been old enough to work, and I am their manager. It's embarrassing. People who have neve mastered anything think everything is very easy to learn if they would try, but they don't feel like it.
>>
>>2522973
have you tried sitting him down in front of whatever design program you guys use
>>
>>2522571
Weld for fun, not for pay. Take a cc course if you've nil experience then set up a welding table etc at home. Formal training speeds shit up and you get a tactile appreciation of metal.
>>
>>2522973
>first machinist job, small "family" shop like 12 employees with only half working the machines.
>mostly early 90s CNC, a few brand new ones
>company bought out like 5 year prior, moved to neighbor city
>only 4 old bloods including the old disgraced owner made the move
>story goes, 1980s manual shop in the right place right time got contract from a giant company you would recognize
>company says "hey we like you, we need lots more product, sign this large contract and we'll give you some free CNC machines to get them volume"
>smalltown redneck guys who didnt know what they were doing, just trial by fire

Every single program was a MESS. Bunch of notes where you have to do weird shit or lie to the machine, patchwork, 20+ years without changing them.

New Owners 30 year old Son ran everything. Was into LEAN and similar stuff. He was also scared of the old guys.
Bought some brand new machines, hired people to program and run it. Did great work. I was trained on them as a young guy.

He also let lying dogs lay and allowed the old guys to run their old CNCs how they wanted, as long as parts got done. They would defy and straight disobey him, but he didnt want them to quit.
The long term idea was slowly move programs to newer machines and replace machines as they die.

They could NOT deal with change. They did NOT know what they were doing, or why they did it.
One guy was allowed to take a whole month off to hunt every year.
So he trained me and a few new guys to work his machine.

He had a routine on how to start the machine and run a warm up cycle.
He pressed like 10 buttons in a sequence, I asked him what buttons he was pressing, and why he was doing it.

He had no clue, just push the yellow button then the red one then the one that looks like bacon. He didnt even know what the buttons did.
Me and the manager dug out the manual and it was ridiculous.
He refused to change.

They ran their machines at 70% speed, we asked them why and they had no fucking idea
>>
>>2523494
"The oldboss who made the programs did it for some reason so dont EVER touch it"

During the month he was off, me and the manager were tweaking programs and there was HUGE room for improvement with little work. Our boss told us to leave it alone to not stir up trouble though. On one hand he wanted us to be the guys to try and push efficiency and better work out of the old guys, but at the same time didnt have the balls to really do it.
He wanted to start slow and put your foot in the door sort of thing.
Manager wanted everything to be at hands reach, instead of running around in circles etc etc.
So he gave directions to think about ways they can improve their work areas and maybe move stuff if they wanted.
Time and time again, asking them to find something they can improve, allowing them to take initiative. They always did nothing, its as good as it can be. Not sure if it was laziness, or retardedness, stubbornness. Pure incompetency regardless.

One thing that I remember the most, learning the cylindrical grinder. Torque wrench set to like 20ftlbs for a CBN wheel, the bottom lock was loose.
Seemed low and I asked why, he had no answer.
I looked it up in the manual, it was like 60ftlb or something.
Said "well lets just put it where it needs to be" and I tightened wrench to 60 and he just blew up screaming at me. Said it was done for an explicit reason and that im going to fuck something up and he wont have it or get blamed for it.
Took it from me and loosened wrench it all the way back down to 20.

I left after 2 years. It was an ongoing battle between the new guys vs the old guys. We had enough work to do of our own, but we were also tasked with a looming "dont let the company fail if one of those machines break and you arent ready to take on the work"

Literal braindead monkeys.
It taught me early on, just because someone has done something for 20 years, doesnt mean they know what they are talking about.
>>
union is going to move me from operations to the machining shop as a total newb trainee since the oil company wanted to cut the pay in my position.

I don't know shit about machining except its used to make table legs or some shit. What am I in for? Is it as hard on your body as welding/mechanics?
>>
>>2523502
Its the king of all trades, as long as you arent a brainlet
Downtime, not hard on your body, learn an actual useful skill.
>>
>>2523503
I do like that it seems to be a more transferable skill than operating refinery equipment behind monitors. It's a protected position so I'll just stick with it.
>>
File: DSC_0184.jpg (737 KB, 2144x1424)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
>>2523505
Its the best /diy/ hobby, and you can always find a shop that needs warm bodies.
Its the reverse-3d printer. Take a chunk of shit, cut and drill material out of it.

I have no clue what you would be building as an oil refinery guy. Maybe repairs or something. It sure looks like a lot of 5 axis CNC work to make big fucking flanges and valves though.
Seems pretty cool, pic related came up on google.

My first machining job I was making fucking hitch pins for earth movers all day.
>>
File: 1590B_BBRD_B.jpg (54 KB, 720x540)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
What's the cheapest/easiest way to custom drill these?
>>
>>2523510
For any shape hole use laser cnc
>>
>>2523510
In terms or what?
Just throw it on a drill press
>>
>>2523519
In terms of design for production. For prototyping, my drill press is shit and there's no good clamp solution. I currently have a jig made to punch the hole centers, then I drill by hand. My question is even if I make a 3D model of the box how do I make them in bulk? Get the chinese to do it with knockoff boxes?
>>
>>2523510
try using a drill, asshole. what is even the question?
>>
>>2523510
>cheapest/easiest
a nail heated with a lighter.
>>
>>2523496
>>2523494
It's almost better off not knowing anything and getting into the trade now.
>>
what's the difference between an arbor and a mandrel?
somebody once said an arbor holds a tool, while a mandrel holds work.
i've also heard that an arbor is threaded, usually at one end, either internally or externally, to secure a tool and/or work using a screw or a bolt, but that a mandrel isn't threaded at all, but could possibly have a key or a keyway in it.
somebody give me the lowdown.
>>
>>2524049
an arbor holds a tool like a slitting saw or a woodruff cutter. a mandrel is just something that goes inside of something else. there are expanding mandrels that are threaded and increase in diameter when you turn the screw in. they also use mandrels in forges to weld pipe around.
>>
Is there a radius or ball turning attachment for 10 inch swing lathes?
I have a grizzly g0752
I'm looking to put curves in aluminum
>>
>>2525630
make one
>>
>>2525818
I wanna
But I dont have a mill to do dove cuts and profiles
I made a mistake and bought the lathe first
>>
make a mill then
what do you want from me
>>
>>2525820
You can do milling on a lathe
>>
want to be able to move machines, pickups are expensive.
idea: use (flatbed) grain truck like a chevy c60 or IH loadstar, they're cheap

problems? am i retarded?
>>
>>2525932
machines: lots of weight in small area

bulk goods such as grain or gravel: medium load over a large area

Also strapping points needed or you go pepsi during emergency braking when the one ton machine starts sliding.

Can the bed support 600lbs in an area of only several square feet? Or will the frame of the bed fold under that punctual load?
>>
>>2525948
not sure. i assume the steel used in flatbed frames is as good as the steel used in trailers right?
>>
>>2513587
question for you all that have been around since PCs spoke on the phone:

RS232 085 Fanuc Error BS.

I am modernizing a workcell, and trying to figure out why an old Centrum 3000 will not talk to modern PCs with the same COM port settings as ancient PC. This is using a few DNC systems to handle connect and send.

the only difference I see is that in the older version of the DNC software, hardware is refereed to as hardware, while in more modern systems, its referred to by the technical terms for the protocol type.

and having old PC there is not an option cause needing server access for programing and shitposting here sneaky like.
>>
>>2526186
Are you using a serial->usb converter, or does the PC have a dedicated port? DB9 or DB25?
Windows, I assume? What version? Are the correct drivers installed? Is the com port configured properly? i.e., baud rate, logic levels, parity, handshake, etc. Is it less than ~15m run? Are there any other drops on the run?
Can you communicate manually, e.g., from the terminal, and the DNC you're using just doesn't work? Or is the whole setup dead?
>>
>>2526308
>Are you using a serial->usb converter, or does the PC have a dedicated port? DB9 or DB25?
Dedicated serial on both machines, both mobo mounted. Both PCs are using Ds9, and the cable has a null modem adapter and a 25 pin adapeter, and is an ethernet cable with the 25 pin converters, which works with the previous PC, and the turrets. (There's two near identical machines, tankred twins they were style).

>Windows, I assume? What version? Are the correct drivers installed?
Yup New PC is windows 7 sp1, and i tried with a win 10 computer previously before i used that for a laser programer instead. Previous PC is XP era, sp 2 dimension 8100

>Is the com port configured properly? i.e., baud rate, logic levels, parity, handshake, etc.

This is where it gets to really stupid.
I duplicated the settings on the 2nd generation DNC from the 1st gen (cause of course its two fucking old to work on new pcs). Each time i send it with the new pc, i get the 085 error. When i send it with the old, perfection.

Theres a 3rd gen of the DNC as well, but hardware handshaking has been replaced with something that i am too much of a newfag to know the correct selection. It also is really laggy which ia a combo of modern bloat, older hardware, and a server connection system to the database (pretty slick idea tho)
>Is it less than ~15m run?
Its around 35-45 feet, which i think is the reason for the null modem.
>Are there any other drops on the run?
Nope dedicated line that is manually installed and removed each transfer. I have 4 more com ports so once it works, im setting up for dedicated lines.
>Can you communicate manually, e.g., from the terminal, and the DNC you're using just doesn't work? Or is the whole setup dead?
I've tried it with openDNC on a previous PC and got the same issue as well, but again handshake new term issue
Setup is broke with newer hardware right now, old is functional, but on borrowed time due to a upcoming plant move, and chucklefucks moving it.
>>
>>2526370
>Dedicated serial on both machines, both mobo mounted.
OK. That's good.

>Yup New PC is windows 7 sp1
Have you tried running the old software under compatibility mode? Starting in 7, you can run software as an older version of Windows - everything from 3.1 on up.(Win 10 still has this functionality, but they hid it behind a couple layers of "troubleshoot problems with this software" dialog.)

>Its around 35-45 feet, which i think is the reason for the null modem.
That's at the far end of the RS232 spec (15 meters), but should still be within limits.

I'm thinking it's a configuration issue. You have
>old pc running old sw with old config
>works
So we know everything from the DB9 on the back of the old PC, down the line, all the way to the machine, is OK.
>new pc running new(er) sw with old config
>doesn't work
But you say
>I duplicated the settings on the 2nd generation DNC from the 1st gen (cause of course its two fucking old to work on new pcs).
That could be an issue if you just C&P from old to new. I've run into that before. Try reconfiguring the new PC SW manually. It's a pain, probably, but you're getting paid, right?

I'm just taking shots in the dark, since I'm not actually there.

It's Windows. Maybe reboot lol?
>>
>>2526384
>shots in the dark
My anon, you are the best help. So many meh blogs and stuff buried in ads, that is not super complete.

I would tell them i am jon snow if I wasn't being paid, so i get the ok to burn time, but not by the hour sadly.

>compatability mode
Tried it a few different ways actually, but the gen 1 program just closes on receive and send

>manually config.

I wish i had copy paste lol. The config files do not seem to be being passed from generation to generation on the current PC i am testing on, so have to manual everything. Started with duplicating settings as exact as i can, and will try to adjust from there

What do you mean by PC SW? I think you mean the DNC software, but i misunderstood so many custom acronyms in the process i am assuming nothing.

Do you think a shorter cable might work if the more modern pc has a lower output by any chance?

>reboot
I really wish that solved this one, lol
If this was linux, there probably would be a migration guide from LTS to LTS in a forum due to weaponized autism, just in the damn terminal
>>
>>2526393
>What do you mean by PC SW? I think you mean the DNC software, but i misunderstood so many custom acronyms in the process i am assuming nothing.
yeah sw = software.
>Do you think a shorter cable might work if the more modern pc has a lower output by any chance?
It's possible, but I don't think that's the issue here because
>the gen 1 program just closes on receive and send
That sounds like a driver issue. You might try uninstalling Gen2 and re-run the installer in compatibility mode.
Square 1, as it were.
Maybe take out the null modem? All that is is a crossover. Shouldn't need it on newish/newer hardware.
>>
>>2526412
quick update for ya anon. gonna be trying pulling the null modem and giving it a shot Friday afternoon.
>>
>>2527568
It's worth a shot. It might be the/an issue.
I'd aim for uninstalling Gen2 and re-installing using the compatibility mode on the installer. And run something like Revo Uninstaller so it scrubs the registry and gets rid of all the leftover files in between steps.
>>
>>2514824
Trying to hold tenths on clapped out equipment where you only have one try at making it is kind of stressful
>>
File: IMG_20221223_205842-min.jpg (1.16 MB, 3472x4624)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Someone gave me this milling machine for free what should I do with it?
>>
>>2528115
Fart on it until you faint
>>
>>2528137
Remember when you tried to force that, and then failed miserably?
>>
>>2528137
This is the funniest thing ever. Well, next to ToT turning a cube on a lathe.
>>
Anyone ever learn/hone their skills in a legitimate way through hobby machining? I've looked at small bench top mills/lathes and such and wonder how much I can learn from them. End goal of mine is to have a small shop in my garage that I could make money off of and work for myself. I've got a decent background with CNC programming/operation from work/schooling but not as much with manual machines. I'm hesitant to do a career change to a machinist due to a pay cut. Is it better to bite the bullet and learn from an actual shop or just learn from hobby projects?
>>
>>2528115
Throw it at a car
>>
>>2528713
>I've got a decent background with CNC programming/operation from work/schooling

Is there any reason why your limiting yourself to manual machines then?

IMO the only reason someone should go for manual machines in a home shop is because they've got absolutely no desire to learn CAD/CAM/CNC. The main advantage of CNC for the home shop is that it allows you to get away with significantly less tooling, no longer do you need a comprehensive set of drills and reamers, just drill to a nominal size and interpolate the rest with a endmill, with a couple of threadmills you can replace 90% of taps, radii become trivial, etc. All of the little extra bits and pieces you need to be capable with manual machines really add up quickly, manual mills are a false economy if you go beyond using it as a precision drill press.

That being said I still keep a manual lathe and small drill press around, the latter for small (<0.093") drilled holes where feel is important, and the former because I rarely do anything too complicated on a lathe.
>>
File: 1671986234060.jpg (98 KB, 794x635)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>2528115
pour epoxy and make it a coffee table
>>
>>2528115
Build yourself a benchtop milling machine with it. And all kinds of machine tools.
>>
>>2528833
what are you smoking? the main reason to go with manual machines in a home shop is that a bridgeport is a hell of a lot cheaper than even a low end cnc like a haas or even a tormach.
>>
>>2528833
Manual machines in my eyes are more fun. Plus I like to be well rounded and know a little bit of everything, as I never know what might come up. Running a Bridgeport with no DRO feels different in a good way.
>>2528957
Also this, start off cheap and work my way up from there. Tormach PCNC looks like a good start as a hobbiest/small batch machine from my reading though. I'd go with a HAAS but it seems to always be 2x more expensive (although the price is worth it)
>>
>>2519503
just keep it moving. i started in a shop like that, pay was dogshit. now i'm 4/weeks 30/hr in a shop that at least has nice lighting, don't know about ac though.
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (45 KB, 1280x720)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Is it possible to set up polygonal turning on a manual lathe? Seems to useful a thing to limit to cnc.
>>
>>2529189
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtRysVOEu0
>>
>>2529189
Dividing plate on spindle, toolpost grinder and milling attachment on saddle
>>
>>2529189
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCFfvmREacA
>>
>>2529202
>>2529213
>>2529216
Wew lads, thank you! Have a merry Christmas
>>
>>2528974
>>2528957
>hell of a lot cheaper than even a low end cnc like a haas or even a tormach

I'm not taking about a brand new VMC with all the bells and whistles, if you're buying new for a home shop you're making a mistake. What you want to keep an eye out for is for one of the older knee type CNC mills, think like a Proto-Trak, Tree Journeyman, Bridgeport BOSS series I/II, etc.

You can usually pick these machines up for a song as most people are scared of electronics and they're not economical for real shops, plus the iron is better than anything you could buy new. I'd prioritize something with a 40 taper spindle because it's way easier to find tooling.

We're in an era where homebrew CNC systems have gotten pretty well developed and cheap, if you can keep an older machine going on it's original controller/drives, great, but don't hesitate to swap it out for modern electronics if issues crop up. I've personally got a BOSS 5 Bridgeport that I picked up for $2500, I threw another 1K at a computer, motion controller, stepper drives, VFD, and a Mach license. Within a couple of weeks of tinkering I had it up and running, it'll do everything a manual mill can and it'll run circles around a manual if you have a moderately complex profile or repeat work.
>>
>>2529252
I don't know how to do this, but I want to know how to do this, how do learn?
>>
How much does learning CAD design for 3d printing and learning 3d printing in general translate to machining? My goal after this class is to go for a cnc operator one or some such.
>>
>>2529865
CAD is a good baseline for CAM programming. Which is what you'll end up doing if you go deep into CNC programming/operation. 3D printing however is a 'just press go' deal. Actual machining has lots more to consider with tooling/material/speed/feed etc
>>
>>2529838
I wouldn't even be sure where to point you to get started, this is one of those subjects that can be both very simple and insanely complicated at the same time, you can't really learn without just doing it.

In my case I'm a full time CNC Programmer during the day, so the actual CAD/CAM/Operation side of things wasn't a real concern. I initially bought one of those eBay special 3018 routers which I used to get familiar with Mach and the electrical hardware side of the deal. I figured if I crashed or bricked it it wouldn't be a huge write-off, I also found it was useful for debugging purposes while doing the conversion on the Bridgeport. From there it's really just a matter of making sure you size everything correctly for the machine you're intending to drive, it's all more or less Legos, just read the manuals and take it one step at a time.

I would not attempt anything with a full sized machine as a first project unless you're a fairly competent tinkerer/fabricator and have a bit of cash. I'm not trying to say it's crazy expensive, but there's a very real possibility that you make a mistake and smoke a $2-300 motion controller/BOB/VFD/ect, if that would sink the project this might not be for you. That being said, because everything is off the shelf it's generally way cheaper than "Proper" CNC components, my entire setup cost less than the replacement servo drive for one of the horizontals I used to run.
>>
>>2529898
I see. Do you have any recommendations on what i could be learning on the side at home to prepare a bit extra for it? Probably won't be for another few years potentially.
>>
>>2529933
can you put a motorized rotary axis on it and use it as a ghetto 4 axis?
>>
>>2529957
For the CAD/CAM side of things just downloading a cheap software to play around with is a good start. If you learn one software and are competent with it you've practically learned them all. Fusion 360 is free for hobbiests if I remember correctly, which comes with free basic CAM functionality as well. To play around with it I would get a cheap router like >>2529933 did. Just play around with plastics and wood with increasingly complex parts and such. Good way to practice too is to learn the g code by manually coding it yourself at first, then using CAM once you start getting into 3D toolpaths. Gives you actual appreciation for the software and let's you know what the hell you're looking at if you have to edit the code it spits out.
>>
>>2529252
>What you want to keep an eye out for is for one of the older knee type CNC mills, think like a Proto-Trak

Golden advice.^ I strongly recommend taking a community college machining course BEFORE buying a machine tool and while there go beyond the curriculum and volunteer which is a great way to get personal machine time. I did that with machining and welding programs and worked for the school afterwards. If I didn't have severe chronic pain I'd still be there. Many schools hire from within like they did my bro who I encouraged to take the course.

Don't be afraid to train formally for anything. I've decades in mechanics, aviation, and much more. I've taken and taught classes and learned a shitload both ways. Machining training gives you a serious edge and profoundly changes the way you relate to metal, machines and the world around you.

My pro machinistbro is rich in no small part due to two CNC open knee mills. They're amazingly versatile.

I suggest taking CAD first unless you're already proficient since once you know CAD you can think in CAD.

>>2529957
I would visit local machine shops and ask what they want to see in an ideal student or apprentice. I promise you'll surprise the shit out of them which can open doors. That way you can study what they use which may get you a job one day. If not it never hurts to network. I fix computers for my bros shop and get all sorts of leftovers for my home shop. He let me use his manual machines after I'd gone to school and hired several people from it.

Machining is a mentoring culture where they understand only true enthusiasts should be machinists. Stop by some Friday afternoon and if they're busy offer to come back because determination is so rare these days. Be chill, friendly but listen more than talk. If you hit it off perhaps you can do chores like cleaning up the shop (which is everybody's job, not hard at all and lets you get up close to get a visual and some tactile appreciation of the equipment.
>>
>>2529974
I've been using fusion 360 for 3d printing so i know some of the basics.
What's CAM?
>>2529979
>just go in and shake his hand firmly
lel, but yeah that might work though I'm not sure people are like that in my country, it might also be a liability to have someone not covered under the company insurance helping out there.
My dad will probably have the connections for a job if i ever get to that stage as well.
Rn I'm just a mentally disabled guy taking a government paid for education so it would be a few years in the future at the soonest.
>>
>>2529979
This is one of the most boomer things I've ever read on this board, and that's saying something.
>>
>>2530100
CAM stands for Computer Aided Machining. Basically when you upload a model into CAM you just tell the software what tools/toolpaths to use and it spits out g code for you. More to it than that but that's the gist. Very useful when you are working with complex 3D geometry or very large parts that would take ages to hand code.
>>
File: 1572534797984.png (1.01 MB, 1274x1116)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>2513587
>try to sign up for machining classes at the local community college
>classes are only available smack dab in the middle of weekdays and only during the fall
What can I do in the meantime to learn besides reading and watching youtube? I'm going to commit sudoku if I'm still stuck plumbing a year from now.
>>
>>2531171
Buy a cheap lathe and make some chips fag.
>>
>>2531193
Any recommendations? I was looking at this 10" Grizzly chinkshit
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-10-x-22-benchtop-metal-lathe/g0602
My thought process was that it would be nice to save up a little more and start with something a little bigger and nicer than a 7" harbor freight pos. Am I retarded? Should I just look for a vintage machine and restore it?
>>
File: 1671031738481.png (735 KB, 2502x1400)
735 KB
735 KB PNG
>>2513587
Hello /EMT/!
First time poster, need some sage advice.
I want to start making small 7075-aluminium pieces for my RC cars and Quads, but I have zero machining experience and don't want to spend a lot of money(>£/$500) right now. Just want to get my feet wet a little and make some useful things to get started.
I was thinking of buying picrel but I'm not sure how "Smart" these things are, I'd like to be able to mill both sides of aluminium plates, i'm not sure if these things are capable of tracking what stage i'm at... or can more complex operations be programmed and managed by a connected computer? You guys think this is a good starting point for newbie milling?
Follow up question, is there any cheaper way to get a 5 axis mill for diy and hobbyists? the only one i've seen is the pocketnc mill, but that's £4k+
>>
>>2527676
>>2527568
So update for you all.

Pulling out the null modem ended up making it so the equipment cannot talk to the dnc pc, so back to square one.

I put it back in and futzed with the stop bits and data bits, i got an 087 error, which states
>data greater than 10 characters long was input after DC3 (stop code) was transmitted while reading via the reader/punch interface.

So i think i am simply going to have to sit there when i have some time and play with the error 085 only
>the number of bits of input data does not match OR the baud rate is incorrrect when reading by the reader/punch interface.
Which in my though is go baud by baud, bit by bit, and see what happens, which is a thing that can happen from swapping to newer hardware as a refined deep dive seems to point to.

Current test turret has a full memory thou cause 1989 industrial fanauc, and the sister turrets motors magent got lose, so pausing the quest for now, until after we fix it...and move the godamn factory.

Btw, is there a place where the old school people lurk that love older equipment? I have one that was "made for the war effort" that needs to dissaper, and we really do not like the scrapper numbers
>>
>>2530108
Oh, neat. I'll look into it.
>>
>>2531380
The cheapest i can think of is to get a 3 axis machine, then see if you can find a mini rotatary table/combined 4th/5th axis combo that will fit.
>>
>>2531380
its gonna be shit. maybe it will be fine for what your doing, but expect shit.
>I'm not sure how "Smart" these things are

they are as smart as any other tool, they only do what you tell them. if you want to machine the back side, you flip the part, pick up a datum, and machine it.

pocketnc is your best bet for cheap 5axis. it will be shit relatively, but actually usable and better than the china stuff
>>
>>2531813
>it will be shit relatively
pocketnc is no joke for what it is. if you get the hot rod one for like $8k or whatever. air-powered spindle, 30k rpms. there's plenty of videos of it cutting titanium.
I'd buy one if it wasn't for the price and the like 4x4x6" work envelope. Maybe if I was in business selling small titanium gears or something.
>>
>>2531820
I take that back. The hot rod one is closer to $10k now (been a while since I looked at them), and the air-powered spindle one hits 50k rpm. But work envelope isn't as good as I though
x=4.55
y=5.05
z=3.55
a=-25°-135°
b=∞
Like I said. You can make small gears and shit. Little brackets and stuff. Maybe gold teeth? idk
>>
>>2531820
>pocketnc is no joke
relative to realmachine, its shit. but it is absolutely top of its class.
I do not think it would be a good machine to do production anything. making titanium gears on that would take so long and be so fucking loud.

>>2531830
non of them are airpowered, they just use nakanishi spindles, which use air cooling, and void the spindle NSK warranty if used without air cooling above 30k rpm
They are really nice spindles, I use the bigger models on my own machines. They are insanely low priced compared to everything else and they are superior japanese quality, folded over 1000 times
>>
>>2531837
>non of them are airpowered
>air cooling
that makes sense after re-reading the specs. the call for only 1cfm at like 25psi. there'd be no way to maintain any amount of torque with that.
yeah, like i said - if i win a scratch-off or something and had money to burn, i'd grab one. but for 10k? screw that.
>>
Got moved into the weld shop this week bc machine shop is slow and I gotta say, production welding sucks. It's hot, uncomfortable, and really tedious. I lucked out randomly picking machining over welding as a career path when I was a teenager
>>
File: 1641665651294.jpg (297 KB, 2560x2560)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>2513587
I got a new job. Kind of hard adjusting to a small shop after working in a large factory for several years. I miss my expensive automated machinery... I had to thread 100 or so 1/2" pipes on one of these things today; took forever, and now my back hurts. At the old place it would have taken an hour and I could have done it sitting down. But the pay is much better, boss is significantly less evil, co-workers all speak English, A/C, good insurance, paid vacation, etc. It's a trade-off I guess. Who knows, maybe tomorrow will suck less. Hopefully I can make them enough money to buy some better shit.

/blog
>>
>>2531998
what are you even complaining about? not being able to sit on ass all day?
>>
>>2532471
Using a machine meant for plumbers to do production manufacturing
>>
>>2513587
can anyone recommend a first live steam engine model kit?
>>
File: attn: janny.jpg (1.9 MB, 3072x1728)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
I love machining.
I hate seeing this fatty, *inhales into the mic*, nigga in the catalog... This will be my only post in this edition.

>>2523494
>small "family" shop
Unless you married into the family, that's a warning sign.
The 1st shop I ever worked at was 7 family members, one-eye Tony, and myself.
They'd try all kinds of dumb shit. "Hey guys! We bought lunch for everyone. .... Except you two."
After a while I found out no one else except us had to keep track of their time, they all had a straight cut.
I left the day the owner's brother tried to choke me on the shop floor, and I choked him MUCH HARDER.

>I asked him what buttons he was pressing, and why he was doing it.
Just throw an onion in the varnish. It's what we've always done.

>>2523827
>better off not knowing anything and getting into the trade now.
That's what happened here. I wound up with a CS degree, but realized all of the software companies are ethically bankrupt.
Rather stay closer to my family, and work a 'lesser job'. Doesn't take much to program circles around these old guys. Getting into it wasn't easy though; I wouldn't have persisted if I didn't personally enjoy machining.

>>2525907
>You can do milling on a lathe
Das rite
>>2529189
>Is it possible to set up polygonal turning on a manual lathe?
Other anons left some good stuff.
The lathe truly is the universal tool.
Swap lamp-スワップランプ
https://www.youtube.com/@SwaplampJapan/videos
>>
File: SpyyYoyo.png (2.24 MB, 1514x1252)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB PNG
Long story short
>have CNC lathe, have 5c collet chuck
>want to make a handful of aluminum yoyos

What I need help with, is deciding the rough order of operations/workholding to keep it as concentric as possible.
Pic related is what im going to loosely try to build.

Both halves are identical, axle threaded directly into the aluminum. Bearing inner race sits on the lip and is squeezed tight from both sides.
The operations themselves arent an issue, I just dont have a ton of experience working one side and then flipping and keeping it concentric to the other.

The axles bend easily, so im afraid of using it as workholding and hogging material from the outer side.

How would you go about it?
>>
File: dert.png (918 KB, 926x873)
918 KB
918 KB PNG
>>2532744
I really want a pointed cone shape, or flush flat shape on the outside center.
But I could possibly do something like this, make a pin shape to hold it.
But they dont have much meat on them and again may not hold well.

I would have to make it extra long, and then do a third workholding flip after all is said and done to remove it which seems problematic too.
>>
>>2532744
>>2532745
Could also just machine it in 4 separate piece parts. The two concave sides could be machined on a mandrel and you attach them with a headed shaft and the I guess cap for the otherside would also be headed.
>>
>>2532700
>Swap lamp-スワップランプ
thanks for the link. i saw a few of his videos once, but i could never find his channel again. it never shows up in my recs, which is weird, since i pretty much only subscribe to machinists and woodworkers.
turns out, i've been searching for "swamp rat" this whole time.
>>
>>2532700
welder here, same shit. steer clear of small businesses unless you own it or you marry into the owners family.
>>
>>2531200
i use grizzly, its great. chinkshit is more than good enough for hobby projects
>>
Any advice for cooling & chip clearing on small machines?
Having to vacuum my shit constantly to keep it from gumming up is getting annoying.
>>2514175
Yuppppp I’m able to get slightly better performance than that but not by much. Def need a beefier spindle motor asap, this is only running the spindle at 3k rpm fmlllll
>>
>>2536070

Compressed air alone does wonders. Not a fan of mist lube unless your machine is completely enclosed, so the droplets don't waft out and settle all over the place and in your lungs.

Pick up one or two of pic related and slap it on there. It's what you'll use regardless of whether you end up with just air, mist, flood, or MQL, anyway.
>>
>>2536070
I’ve considered trying a vortex tube from Amazon for a cnc router. They seem pretty neat
>>
>>2536073
Oh sorry yeah I should have specified I want to do compressed air yeah. Just trying to figure out how to supply air to it, as far as what kind of pump to use since my real air compressor is in the garage and this is on the second floor :/
>>
>>2536079
For cooling? Seems neat although based on a quick google it seems most of the air output is hot so the cold air stream may not be that strong
>>
>>2536083
The whole point of the device is for cooling, you are blowing heavy compressed air through it so it’s not like it’s a weak stream
>>
>>2536086
Yeah but I mean it splits the stream off between cool and hot streams so you’ll need twice the air as otherwise no? Or atleast if you’re hoping to get chip clearance as well as cooling. Seems like a good idea if you have that tho, kinda read up on it a bit more & it seems rly nice in a larger shop
>>
>>2536081

I'd just run an air hose up the wall, personally. Alternately, scrounge around for deals on anything that basically amounts to a small, oilless compressor and some spare parts. Airbrush kits, O2 concentrators, reciprocating vacuum pumps, etc.

If you're looking for a project, you could get the cheapest 12V tire inflator you can find and modify it for longevity. Cleaning up/polishing the bore, fitting PTFE seals, and swapping the motor out wouldn't be too hard.

Your best option is probably just to buy a bare compressor pump, though. Something like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403994727816

They're frequently used on a small air compressors, but you don't really need the tank, regulator, pressure switch, or associated hardware to connect them all together. Just a switch (and/or contactor) to turn it on. A pressure relief valve on a T-fitting would be cheap, smart insurance, and I'd definitely recommend doing that.

As an aside, I am astounded by how quiet these pumps are. I'm used to the roar of the everyday 2-cylinder compressor pump in the shed, which can pretty easily be heard through two walls when it comes to life. I got a small, much more portable compressor and, just for a moment, wondered if it was broken when I turned it on. The thing's like casual conversation volume, maybe even less.
>>
>>2536070
>Any advice for cooling & chip clearing on small machines?
I was thinking of getting one of those cheap mattress inflator things for like 20 bucks and bending up some 1/4" copper tube on mine.
>>
File: -556513925378013666.jpg (174 KB, 800x800)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Hi, Inwas wonderung if this is worth of purchasing for tabletop diy cnc or upgrading existing one? It is V slot aluminum profile 2040, basicly has pocket for mgn 12 c/h. Does it add stability or rigidity?
>>
>>2536309
Also this is item in question:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003515170219.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
>>
File: science pepe.jpg (28 KB, 396x385)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2513587
/emt/, I'm going to Machinist school next week to finally get not only a job but a career to escape neet-dom, and become a functioning member of society (while going beyond the clutches of wageslavery.) just finished orientation this morning and I feel a bit nervous, feel like this is going to be some intense work that might burn my flabby ass out. any tips? please be serious it's either this or I stay at my shitty mother's place until she dies and I get homeless
>>
>>2536525
>any tips?
Long term goals, and realistic roadmaps to get there.
Once a long term NEET, always a long term NEET. You became NEET because of your personality, and you cant run away forever.
What does "going beyond the clutches of wageslavery" mean to you exactly?
So obviously you want to live a NEET lifestyle still, or at least a less structred more freeing life?
How are you going to do that by... being a wagecuck in a shop?
Whats your exit plan?
Whatever magical opportunity you want wont happen on its own, you actively have to make it happen.

Everyone who wants to break free of the 9-5 wants to own a small business, or a bunch of rental houses, or something else similar like that.
How are you going to do that?
Who is going to fund it? Why would they fund you?
If a bank were somehow to hand you that cash tomorrow, are you equipped to actually run whatever business you want? Could you manage the money?
When exactly would you be ready?

If you dont plan on working in a machine shop the rest of your life, you need to be doing this work right NOW.
You should be studying business, and finances, and whatever else is relevant

Go to the bank or credit union and talk to a counselor RIGHT NOW about building your credit. Learn about their roadmaps for getting a business loan. Think 3-4-5 years down the line.

Get your job, live at home with mom, save all your money, work towards your goals.
Buy a house the second you can, but RENT IT OUT, acquire assets.

You have to do the legwork now, not start thinking about it 5 years after getting a job. You arent going to save money if your are personally paying a mortgage, and all your own bills, and a big car loan every month.

It may not feel like it, but there is a small bit of fortune in the fact you have a mother who allows you to live at home forever, and you havent knocked a bitch up. You are a clean slate.
Be smart about it
>>
>>2536525
Oh and dont worry about the class.
If you are halfway handy and arent completely retarded, youll do fine. And its going to be fun as fuck. Its really satisfying and rewarding to build parts.

Point still stands though. No matter how fun it is as a hobby or in the beginning of your career, if you dont put the auxiliary work in to get your external goals done, youll end up just working in a machine shop till you are old and decrepit, or youll burn out and become NEET again at square one.
>>
>>2536525
What country? I live in us and work at an aero manufacturing company, I say just get into like cad drafting or something. My starting pay as a cad drafter at my company was more than any machinist and I’m not making 50% more than that in 2 years. Lots of places aren’t even paying machinists 20/hour it’s so fuckin sad.
>>
>>2536738
>>2536525
Oh I also meant to say, it seems like a pretty limited career path. Like there’s no movement. Ur just, a machinist forever. And the highest paid machinist isn’t making THAT much more than the average machinist.
>>
>>2536739
Machinists make just above minimum wage in a lot of areas
There is something to be said for all the remote work nowadays.
If he really doesnt want to be a forever "wagecuck" he could be working telemarketing from his living room in his underwear. He wouldnt have to spend money going to school to do so
>>
File: DSC00046.jpg (3.13 MB, 3648x2736)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
almost finished with my small CNC mill, it's a conversion of a manual mill.

Thinking about building a fixture plate like a saunders machine works makes for the taig mini mills.
Do you guys have experience with workholding like that?
>>
File: apu.png (101 KB, 2091x3222)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>2536728
>>2536730
>>2536739
>>2536738
My longterm Objectives are simple
1. find a paying job (hardest part when the local job market is dogshit)
2.buy a car (not a new one, something under 5k)
3.Move out
that's it really. honestly prefer to live alone and do my usual behaviors.
>What does "going beyond the clutches of wageslavery" mean to you exactly?
in my area (WV) the job market is insanely shit, to a degree where you're considered lucky if you got a job at fucking Walmart. Unless if you get a job at the steel mills, coal mines, or even the Toyota factory, where you're payed good money if your certified in welding or machining. that's basically the only real career paths in the area outside of working at the hospitals and the only one I realistically have
>>
>>2537320
damn I'm in east virginia and was hoping I could move to west virginia for lower cost of living.
>>
File: HMd.jpg (215 KB, 951x710)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>2537320
Those are not long term goals, those are short term goals which you can achieve in like a month or two. Stopping with those goals will end with you locking your cagie to slave away forever.
But if all you want to achieve in life is doing your "usual behaviors" just in an apartment instead of your moms house, wagecucking will work perfect for you.

You have the internet at your fingertips, its really not that hard to aim much much higher.
Anyone who gets paid a moderate wage at a machine shop has the ability to do so much more with their money if they tried.
>>
>>2537320
Wait. How old are you again? And what are
>usual behaviors
that you can't engage in at mom's place?
>>
>>2537411
I'm not sure what "moving on up" means when the systems around us are on the brink of collapse, I'm just trying to get enough money (and skills but mostly supplies) to get a comfortable distance away from civilization (and the nagging mother) before things get really interesting, to put it mildly. [spoiler]Even though I might be too late for that to be honest.[/spoiler]
>>2537549
>Wait. How old are you again?
early-mid 20s
>and what are your usual behaviors
Playing games, listening to music, watching videos, fucking around with my old toys, the occasional walk, etc.. the usual no-lifer stuff, what were you expecting?
>>
>>2537567
>what were you expecting?
I naturally assumed you shoved things up your ass and then danced around the apartment wearing nothing but a jock strap, legwarmers, and a beret, while singing I'm So Excited by The Pointer Sisters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM_YB1sE
>>
>>2537567
>the systems around us are on the brink of collapse
This has been and always will be cope from people who were never gonna make it.
If you truly thought the “system” was going to “collapse”, you wouldn’t be jumping head first into it. Especially with the slow burn of going through a whole year of school, just to begin an entry level apprenticeship job which is going to take several years before you even get a full wage.
It’ll be more than a decade of working and paltry saving to even think about buying land away from civilization at this point.

Good luck with your endeavors of jumping into the workforce.
Your future landlord will happily take your paycheck and pay his own mortgage with it.
>>
>>2537568
Hey now, that sounds like a fun Friday night, why would I want to go do that on my own when I could do it WITH my mom?
>>
can i cut M2 HSS rod with a hacksaw? or do I need something special for it? just need to cut off some of a 6mm rod
>>
>>2537901
have you tried answering your own question with the tools you have available?
>>
>>2537905
no because i don't have the rod in hand. i could buy it cut to size or do it myself, but i don't know if i have anything that can cut m2 steel.
>>
>>2537908
I think it would be a pain in the ass, recommend an angle grinder
>>
>>2537901
HSS is hard enough it’s going to trash the hacksaw blade, you may get through it because of how thin the stock is, but the blade will be toast.
Use a dremel or angle grinder.
>>
>>2537198
I have a CNC router that I want to so jigs and fixture plates, but I havent gotten around to it.
Are you running Mach 3? Linux CNC?
>>
>>2537914
>>2537959
cheers mates, i'll see what nice wheels i have sitting around, surely something that'll do the job. worst case i'll go buy some better wheels.
>>
>>2537995
just GRBL, not a fan of MACH 3 because its windows only. LinuxCNC is amazing but the FPGA MESA cards are very expensive.
GRBL is cheap and works ok. I use Universal Gcode Sender and Solidworks for CAD+CAM
>>
File: fixtureplate.png (46 KB, 1160x806)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>2537995
>>2537198

here is what I want to build.
a copy of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8NgrolRIa0
I plan on laying the holes out with a ruler, because I don't have a big enough mill. Then center punch, predrill, drill and ream the 6mm holes and hand tap (my drill can't go in reverse) the M6 holes. So 67 hand tapped M6 holes and 68 machine reamed holes.
The absolute position of the holes won't be to precise (maybe +-0.5mm) do you guys think that will be a problem?
>>
>>2538262
>do you guys think that will be a problem?
depends what you're trying to do with it.
>>
File: 0-32.jpg (72 KB, 1036x766)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>2538262
>I plan on laying the holes out with a ruler
Nigga you WHAT?

Dont be a dingus
>make small fixture plate within the constraints of your travel limits.
>use said fixture plate to build a larger fixture plate, section by section
WA LA, you have your proper sized plate.

>build separate programs that drill and reams, that squares off all 4 sides, but only go 75% of the depth of stock (so no spacers needed), end with fly cutting top face.
>run all operations, hand tap a few holes while never moving plate

>change relative 0 to top of fixture plate, set same gcode to run at full depth.
>put new stock on top of built fixture plate
>drill and ream
>use ground 6mm pins in reamed holes, move top plate over, drill and ream some more, move top plate again, drill and ream until complete
>square one side, move, square more of the side, move square all of the sides.
>top face, move, top face, move, top face.
WA LA AGAIN, you have completely the full surface plate size you wanted.

Remove small fixture plate, mount full size one. Flip original plate upside down and mill off the whole bottom to reveal the holes.
Now you have a more shallow, top plate you can affix to your main fixture plate.

You need to have forethought with holding the stock, so you dont crash your spindle into clamps or bolts, but it really shouldnt be that hard. That and making sure to change the Gcode to not drill into your locating pins once you start working on the large plate.
I have faith in you though.
>>
>>2536073
i get different measurement results when i apply air or coolant
coolant does more precise cuts, but air does better with pre measure cuts such as holes or pockets that keeps the mill cutting and unclogged
>>
>>2538361
wait. so what you're saying is that different things work different ways, and will provide different results?
you're full of shit.
>>
How bad will this boy be? I don’t have space for anything bigger but I would like to be able to:
-Drill holes at +- 0.1 mm positioning accuracy
-square stock
-bore holes for bearings
In hot rolled steel. Is it realistic?

I tried getting by with a cheap drill press, and it’s “fine” for drilling pre-punched holes but I can’t find a way to square stock except for extensive hand filing which id rather not.
>>
>>2538595
>-Drill holes at +- 0.1 mm positioning accuracy
>-square stock
>-bore holes for bearings
>In hot rolled steel. Is it realistic?
нeт
>>
>>2528115
that's a surface grinder you negro
>>
>>2538615
Not even with a fly-cutter? Would any of similar machines do the job? I’ve seen a German made one which weighed 100kg. Wabeco 11200. The column stands on top of the bed in this one, as opposed to the former which has it bolted to the bed from the side. Should be more rigid I think
>>
>>2538629
It’s a horizontal mill you retard
>>
>>2538595
>I don’t have space for anything bigger
The larger benchtop machine dont really have that much more of a footprint.
You really want a stiffer machine more in the 200kg weight range like the MH22 or the MH25.
Easily picked up and moved by one person and an engine hoist, not very big

Work in steel with the BF16 is going to be a struggle. You could do it, but it wont be without a fight
>>
>>2538694
wabeco is way better quality then Optimum.
Optimum is trash, you will have to do a lot of improvements on the mill to make it usable.
>>
>>2538595
buy a used wabeco if you are in central europe.
In germany look at ebay kleinanzeigen
>>
>>2513613
If the turret is sound check the contact surface between the ways and the carriage. Cutting forces can find slop in the damage left by that accident there. 6 thou could be a tenth there so you might need to regrind your carriage.
>>
>>2514282
This Old Tony on YouTube has exactly what you want to hear.
>>
File: thumbsup.jpg (436 KB, 750x709)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
today on my first day of machinist school I learned three things
1. the Institute I'm going to was directly founded by DARPA and is one of the only of it's kind (I am not joking)
2. the building itself was originally a bank (complete with an actual vault that's been turned into a 3d printing class/lounge)
[spoiler]3. I fucking hate the late night gen-ed classes the shitty community college I have to through is forcing me to take, seriously they want me to pay $125 to be able to a basic tech literacy class[/spoiler]
overall it was pretty fun, we're even doing a Department of defense backed boot camp where we make air pistons in the CNC machines before we got to check out the manual lathes lol
>>
dunno if i'm retarded but can you not see the timeline of a step file in f360?
i'm trying to wean myself off of solidworks because i'm going to lose access when i graduate. when i take an exported step file from solidworks and open with f360, there's no timeline. do i have to convert it to a f3d file or something like that? or does f360 just refuse to read the timeline? or is there some setting i can toggle?
like, surely it would be possible to translate the data which is already in the step file, into something that f360 understands. surely i'm not going to have to have both f360 and solidworks just to see the history of different files.
>>
Ask me questions about the behind the scenes of fusion / autodesk (preferably fusion manufacturing)
>>
>>2539874
>>2539514
answer my question, code monkey
>>
I'm trans btw
>>
>>2539897
Not me
>>2539892
Sorry I barely know how to use the thing, I basically just open it to debug shit
>>
how do you deal with interrupted cut where instead of air it's interrupted by a different material? I broke 2 endmills today trying to cut through some mild steel with a hardened pin going through it.
>>
>>2539985
Don't cut that pin, ez
>>
>>2540112
it was a blind pin I wasn't able to remove it or drill it out first for reasons
>>
>>2540114
Pre-cut a path through it with the correct settings for that material and then do the rest of your job, now only needing to deal with the normal interrupted cut
>>
>>2539874
Whats it like working for the devil?
>>
>>2540179
I find they're alright, definitely one of the less unethical software companies, devs seem genuinely interested in what they work on, and benefits are decent.
>>
>>2540195
>>2539874
Get me a job there? ;3
Do you think ai will be able to program more basic parts in the near future? I’m convinced we have the tech at the moment but need a large company to put in the effort.
>>
Any aliexpress or other budget sellers have good smaller tools, 3/16 shank and under. Looking for things like threadmills, Keyseats, bull ends, angled cutters.
>>
>>2540322
I would think a necessary first step in finding the answer to that would be looking at aliexpress or other budget sellers, not making an post on an anonymous Rapa Nui head carving forum.
Just because you got dubs doesn't mean you get to have people do your homework for you.
>>
>>2540285
No way bro not gonna de anon myself
I'm not sure what you mean with the AI thing, honestly I'm not a DIY guy, just software
>>
File: feedramp.png (2.13 MB, 1660x1337)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
Okay so I'd appreciate some input before I go down this road.
I'm designing a 3d printed 9mm lower receiver. I'm using a design that uses a printed feedramp, which is a disposable part. When the cartridge is at the top of the magazine, and the bolt comes forward, the cartridge rides up the face of the feedramp so it can seat into the chamber. It's a disposable part because the copper jacket on the bullet wears the plastic surface and it's cheaper to just print a new feedramp. it works, it's fine, and it lasts long enough.
I have been thinking about how to make the feed ramp more resilient. I don't have a mill. I considered taking a cube of steel and using a dremel to shape it to fit. That is an option, but it's not repeatable.
I considered using steel flashing and trying to press a really thin layer over the surface of a plastic feedramp, and maybe JB welding it in, or bending ears over the side and securing it with a pin. I did this by hand a few times and I couldn't get anything repeatable.
Now i'm considering designing a die and pressing a "skin" out of sheet metal that can sit on top of a plastic block (or if it's rigid enough, just sitting in a slot in the receiver).
I don't know much about bending sheet metal, and I'm wondering if you guys have any better suggestions before I go about prototyping my own dies. This seems like a reasonable enough way to do it, and it would be repeatable every time if I got it to work. I just don't know if there is some better option that I'm unaware of.
>>
>>2540673
just use a ramped barrel
>>
>>2540673
Pay the small price to get this done either in a nylon or some metal sls shit by shapeways or something. Easy and since it’s so small it’ll be cheap.
>>
File: showing.png (1.3 MB, 1200x908)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>2540703
not really an option. it's based on a mac-11 upper receiver because they're cheap, and i can't really get around that. it would require modifying the bolt in order to seat the modified barrel as well. it would be an entirely different project.
see pic related, an uzi uses a similar thing. on the m11, you insert the magazine into the pistol grip, so the back of the trigger housing has the feed ramps bent into it, and welded into place.
i figure i could change the geometry more in order to get something that works how i want it to, because the ramps that work on the stock m11 are really simple.

>>2540705
i guess that is a potential option. i could print GF nylon, and i figure that would hold up longer than PLA would.
I'm also not married to the design in the previous picture, it's just a design that works in plastic.
>>
Dude I hate solidworks. It's like pulling teeth trying to do anything. I bet it's great if you know where everything is but Christ it's so fucking difficult to navigate. You have to dive through so many menus to change anything. I click something and something changes and I have no clue what impact it even had, and I'm mashing escape to try and get out of whatever the fuck happened. It's just so unintuitive. I have never used something so unintuitive. It's like TempleOS.
>>
File: file.png (942 KB, 736x669)
942 KB
942 KB PNG
>>2541402
>It's like TempleOS.
Blasphemer!
>>
>>2541402
Have u considered getting good?
But fr if u need any help or tips I can provide, it’s my main cad software & I do it for a living
>>
File: lights.png (29 KB, 833x196)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>2541675
Just yelling into the void, really. I ought to learn it because it's so prevalent in industry, but I started on fusion 360 since it has a free version. I figure it's just a matter of sinking enough time in. I just hate how it's laid out. Like it could be great if someone made a wrapper that redoes all the interface.
Here's a concrete example: I wanted to change the lighting settings because I don't like the reflections on the model.

What the fuck is a PropertyManager? Where is the DisplayManager? Turns out it's just the tab on the left. I edit the settings and save them.
Now it's just for that one session.
So I look up how to save those settings as a "scene" so it can be the default, which is another process. And it doesn't even load the light settings on a new part.
Right, like any other program, there would be some easily accessible thing, maybe in the settings. "Scene Defaults". And you'd just override them there and there you go. But instead you have to go through all these fucking hoops to just get the fucking part lit how I want it to without having to manually change it for every new part.
I don't know. I get that it's an old program and all but with the money they make you'd figure they'd have some stellar UI/UX devs over there.
>>
>>2541703
Oh, yeah I guess it’s not rly meant for stuff like that lol that’s just aesthetics. I’m pretty sure you just change the default scene stuff? Idk I don’t have my computer in front of me. All the (x)manager stuff is usually in the tab on the side that has like ur feature tree and such tho
>>
>>2516927
how i became one is get tired of working in an office with a bunch of women

walk in and not actively be on drugs at the time of application

methinists are called that for a reason
>>
>>2529838
go get a job

load this in the controller.

%
O042069 (get paid to do nothing, op1)

m01 (look over shoulder make sure nobody who knows gcode is around)

t1 m06 (4" facemill)
g52x0y0z0
m01 (pull phone out and browse 4chan with thumb hovering over feed hold button)
m01 (push opt stop button)
s2000 m03
m08
g43 h01

g54 m97 p100

n100
g01 z3.5 f20.
x-5 .
x0
x-5.
x0

m99
%
>>
>>2541826
Crashes your machine, refuses to elaborate, leaves.
>>
How do I get started with machining? There's stuff I want to make
>>
>>2542204
Turn the machine on
>>
>>2542204
I'd say a necessary first step would be to acquire a machine. No matter what, when all's said and done, you can't "get started with machining" unless you have a machine.
>>
>>2542207
Can you reccomend a machine? I have space for one up to 250 pounds for a bench top, and 800 for a standalone. It has to be able to make parts like a gear and half pully combo for a cvt up to 4 inches in diameter
>>
>>2542207
I can spend like 2k at the most
>>
>>2542211
>Can you reccomend a machine?
No.
>>
>>2542211
Depends, will this project save the future of mankind?
>>
File: cover5-1.jpg (46 KB, 800x450)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2542220
>>
>>2542222
Nice quads
>buy lathe
>attach dividing plate to spindle
>toolpost spindle with gearcutter

Wa La
There are no good premade solutions so you will have to do it all yourself.

The easier way to do gearcutting is with a dividing head on a milling machine, but you arent going to be machining the pulley on a milling machine.

This is why everyone has both machines.
>>
>>2542225
Could I get away with buying a good sized lathe and a mini mill?
>>
>>2542225
Also where's a good starting point for the sizes
>>
>>2542228
Rule of thumb, lathes punch above their weight class, mills punch below their weight class
Im not sure if you will be able to pull off quality gearcutting with a mini mill

>>2542232
Id say 4-500lbs for benchtops, which will be ~10" swing import lathes and ~zx32 size milling machines.
>>
>>2541826
My man you went to Z0 before you called H1
>>
>>2542255
What about a Pratt and Whitney 12x30 lathe, would something like that work?
>>
>>2542273
Some of those have oddball spindles.

Put in serious reading for a few months so you have a much better idea what to look for. FORUMS not 4chan have the depth you need. Different websites are for different tasks.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/

Always post the max info you have on a prospective purchase on such fora to help others help you.

Impatience and machining don't go together and you can save money for the hunt. You need accumulate sufficient knowledge to narrow your acceptable selection before buying and know how to inspect used machine tools. Bring whatever tools are required like indicators so you will be fully prepared.
>>
fuck I broke another endmill today. I thought I had the part locked down well enough but it threw and grenaded my endmill while taking a chunk out of the part.

>>2541826
what does g52 do?
>>
>>2542271
g52 is a modal command

further more im not commanding it to go anywhere, im just telling it to set g52 at work offset 00 and treat g54 as actual start.

i only start rapid to safe plane AFTER i call out the tool offset.

>>2542364
a lot of things, it lets you offset relative to a feature.
ex you g84 a hole and the next one is .5" over you can utilize g52 and an offset then m97 over and over for all the holes rather than use the xy call out for every single features having 30+ pages of hole callouts.

in this case, it's used a saftey block, g52x0y0z0 resets any lingering gmodal g52 comands from the last job or block or toolpath

along with g17 and g91

>>2542228
you just need a lathe, you can mill basic shit with a good mini mill. a plinth block, ER spindle to tool hold. I made some magic the gahtering dice and basic T-nus on my HF mini lathe.

however the mini-lahers from harbor freight has been a constant fight with rigidity.

threw away the shitty HSS and shitty carbide HF has got some real iscar shit but the lathe either bogs with good hard titans of cnc tier DOC's or i jus have too feed it slow as fuck to get a good finish

i want to push it like hardringe but it doesn't have the accuracy in the ways, it doesn't have the self oiling system and mostly it doesn't have the horsepower

and it's lacking in a true actual power feed.

if harbor freight wants to sell a lathe they nee to start including a trav-a-dial and have a power feed system that doesn't make you engage the half nut... then bog as soon as carbide touched 304 on your supposed "metal" mini lathe

or is sand cast aluminum and lead fishing weighs technically a metal so that counts in lawyer speak?
>>
>>2541941
this is basic entry level operator shit, i learned this the first month i was working as a setup operator coming off zero experience before branching out onto my own business.

but:
calls out tool one ; tool change command and operator note

safe block

option stop with operator note
option stop with operator note telling him to turn off option stop

spindle on 2000 rpm, spindle on clockwise

coolant on

use tool length ofset for.......height and for tool 1

make your workoffset the first workoffset avalible in haas machines , go to subprogram, go to sub program 100

this is sub program 100

cut ....z axis at 3.5" above where you touched the tools off at g54.....20 inches per min. (this cuts in thin air )

cut at 20 inches per min with 2000 spindle speed on 5 inches in the negative direction of where you set x at g54

go back to g54 home

go back to x-5 again 20 inches per min

back and forthe

m99 end of sub program

since there is no m30, m99 loops forever

since option stop is turned off it ignores the m01

--------------

what your boss sees:

machine is on, moving, the face mill is moving, coolant is spraying on the face mill.

you look like you're proofing the program you just wrote.....but in reality there is no metal and you're just having the coolant spray the fuck everywhere in the machine making it misty so it looks like you're moving a fuck ton of material around.

do you guys not program machines as entry level operators?

>>2542204
just do it.....it's super simple to pick up it's not rocket science

i graduated from the lowest ranking california state school middle of my class.....i am not a smart person....and i can do this....that means any average american can buy a cnc machine and make better parts than i can day 1
>>
>>2542211
4" of diameter means you're going to want a swing of 10"

5" of radius because the turning tool stick out + a little room because you lose ridgitity at the far ends of the surface plate on cheaper machines.

honestly, if you're buying a full-size lathe in 2022 and it's not cnc or swiss you're fucking up.
>>
isn't 2000 rpm with a 4" face mill over 2k sfm? that seems like a lot.

also how much difference will I see if I use real inserts instead of chinesium I bought from amazon. the other day I was making a cut with a tool I had only done a couple jobs with and it was squealing until I flipped the insert to a fresh side. the ones I have seem to cut fine until they don't but then I always assume it's just my sneeds that are wrong and spend tons of time trying to dial it back in.
>>
>>2542412
You’re literally spinning it in mid air. And moving it at a snails pace…..

Did you think I wrote a program to make a part here? I think you can’t read gcode…
>>
>>2542392
What about this?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-11-x-26-bench-lathe-with-gearbox/g9972z
>>
>>2543013
Looks like its pretty much the same machine as the G0602 just made a few inches bigger.

The G0602 is a very long standing product, Grizzly has been selling it for 25+ years.
Its a good lathe, relatively speaking when buying new chink stuff.

I have a G0602 and am pretty happy with it, lots of literature and other owners out there.
>>
>>2543118
Can it handle projects up to 4-5 inches in diameter?
>>
File: mse-chapter7-image002.gif (5 KB, 479x319)
5 KB
5 KB GIF
>>2543230
>Swing over bed: 10-1/2"
>Swing over cross slide: 6-3/8"

You can physically put a 10.5" round on the spindle and it wont hit your *bed*, youll only be able to do ID work like drilling or boring though.

If you want to do any OD work, you have to take in account the height of your cross slide.
Your saddle/cross slide sits on top of the bed, and has to slide under your work piece, reducing your actual swing number.

So when grizzly says 6-3/8" cross slide swing, you can put a 6-3/8" piece of raw stock in your chuck and turn it down/do all normal lathe operations.

Im going to throw out there that the G0602's crossslide/effective swing is 6-1/8" (so only 1/4" less than the G9972Z), the extra 1 inch in swing over bed means literally nothing, and the extra 4" in length also means nothing. They took the same machine and just barely stretched it to make it look better on paper.
Id save the $400 and buy the long standing G0602, you arent gaining anything appreciable while losing all the documentation and stuff like CNC kits that exist for the G0602
>>
File: turn down.png (2.23 MB, 1589x886)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB PNG
>>2543259
See how on OD operations, the crossslide is under the workpiece?
>>
File: 1599918560368.gif (425 KB, 276x218)
425 KB
425 KB GIF
>keep getting notifications thread is bumped
>it's some weirdo chatting up a namefag
>>
>>2543378
namefag?
>>
can anyone comment on the precision matthew machines? they seem to be getting shilled on jewtube channels.
>>
>>2543417
made in taiwan. better than chinkshit, but priced abhorrently with respect to what they actually are.
Then again, even the 'domestic' shit is made overseas and costs 5-10x as much.
Yes, people review it well, but that could just be shilling/promotion, so idk.
If I had $15-30k to drop on new machine(s), it's probably what I'd grab, over say Jet or Grizzly.
>>
>>2543417
>only a few machine tool factories in china
>circa 2017, grizzly and precision matthews sells similar tools
>same factory, PM pays for better specs and much higher quality control
>PM slightly more expensive, but not outrageously

>trump tariffs specifically make china mills and lathes more expensive
>grizzly raises prices some, PM raises a ton
>raw materials and shipping goes up
>grizzly raises prices, PM raises a ton

>PM starts selling Made in Taiwan tools, WAY higher priced, but way better

At this point anyone who tells you to buy a precision matthews is going off of pricing from years ago, or they want you to buy their taiwanese shit.

I own one of both, and the chinese PM is in fact better. But it wasnt like it was perfect, it was still rough around the edges.
>>
hi i just want to let you guys know that it's impossible to drill a hole in the right place. yes i have a drill press. yes i have a center punch. no i don't want to talk about it, you may only agree with me if you want otherwise remain silent.
>>
>>2544190
>thinking he was ever going to get a precise hole with a drill press and a twist drill
>>
>>2544204
it isn't the tools or my skill, the problem is that the universe is arranged in such a way that i can't readily have a hole where i want it. this is a big problem across multiple domains.
>>
>>2544205
Have you considered dosing with DMT to connect to the ethereal plane before you start drilling?
>>
>>2544218
i would have assumed farting on it to be the proper course of action. color me surprised.
>>
>>2544205
You just don't want it enough.
Force the universe
Envision the hole
And it will be there
>>
>>2544190
you're probably doing it this way:
>set part in vise, before or after scribing
>position under drill press
>set drill into center punch
>move up, turn on, drill
when you should be
>set part in vise
>carefully scribe and center punch
>use a center drill of appropriate size for the drill you intend to use
>move center drill into position, clamp vise, feed slowly
>swap to twist drill and drill finished hole
>c'sink as needed

you cannot, and i mean absolutely cannot, get perfectly accurate holes unless you're center or even spot drilling. center drills are meant to drill out the center punch (hmm i wonder where those names came from) so the twist drill has a very small pilot hole to run through. that small pilot hole makes all the difference, it will automatically center the rest of the twist drill. even a spot drill can serve this function, although that's generally reserved for more sturdy CNC mills that really don't give a fuck anyway.

tldr:
>use center drills before twist drills
>if you want to spend more money and be a contrarian, try a spot drill
>make sure your vise is clamped properly and don't be a retard who just holds it
>>
>>2544375
>center drills are meant to drill out the center punch (hmm i wonder where those names came from)
>>
File: 1375643544746.png (62 KB, 130x180)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>>2544375
>>use center drills before twist drills
>>if you want to spend more money and be a contrarian, try a spot drill
>>center drills are meant to drill out the center punch (hmm i wonder where those names came from)
>>
File: hatman.jpg (9 KB, 500x500)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2544205
Just ask HatMan to drill the hole for you
>>
>>2544375
> set part in vise
>carefully scribe and center punch
Is this bait? How do I put the part on a surface plate AFTER Ive set it in vise?>>2544190
It’s impossible with a drill press. That’s why Im buying a mill-drill. I’ve tried enough
>>
File: spot.jpg (57 KB, 1278x540)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2545213
At this point, im curious what you are making and what exactly is going wrong?
While >>2544375 is completely and utter misguided, deep down he is sort of right.

If you want to eek a precise hole out with a bad drill press, you need to mitigate your lack of stiffness as much as possible.
A center punch is not enough, a jobber drill will happily walk right out of the hole you are drilling.

For some reason to this day, people still use center drills for spotting and they still use the wrong angles.
Here is a good writeup
https://www.harveyperformance.com/in-the-loupe/choosing-spot-drill/

A 90degree center drill is the complete wrong angle, and not only do you have the shock load of hitting the first wrong angle, you have a second when you hit the "pilot" hole it makes too
Lots of tool wear for no real reason.

A mill drill is going to be better, but youll still have to deal with stiffness problems so this all rings true still.

If you are using 118* drill bits, buy a 120* spotting drill
If you are using 135* bits, buy 140* spot drill

Stop using jobber drill bits, buy and only use stubby machine screw drill bits.
Youll be surprised how much of a difference they make.

And if you still cant get it to work with your drill press, you have them for when you buy a mill. Itll just make your mini mill that much more stiff.

You can get a small (.125") 140* carbide spot drill on ebay for under $20, they are expensive because they arent popular.
If you want to run 118* drills, you can get a larger 120* HSS YG drill a lot cheaper on amazon, like 8 bucks.

As for stubby drills, you are shit out of luck. They just cost a lot no matter what.
>>
I still can't not fuck up this job to make a few flat bottomed 3/32 holes to save my life. I've been trying to just plunge with an endmill but it's making the hole around .009 oversize. I tried measuring the tool runout and it's around .004 probably because the hole in my r8 collet is gaped out so that it doesn't even grip the tool shank until I start tightening the drawbar. I tried putting the endmill in a drill chuck just to see if it would be any better but it was even worse runout. if I drill the hole first it sizes better, but then trying to follow up with an endmill to square up the bottom oversizes it again. I tried hand grinding a drill to like a 160 degree point but it's so small I can't see shit so it wouldn't cut right.
>>
>>2545330
R8 to 5c and get a good collet. Still might need to clock the endmill after testing to balance runout.
>>
>>2545330
>I tried hand grinding a drill to like a 160 degree point but it's so small I can't see shit so it wouldn't cut right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwuSBJFa5uM
>>
>>2545375
This is actually the video I meant to post, its a bit better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpDQQltc-GE
>>
I figure you guys might be able to help me out here. I have a manual sewing machine (cowboy outlaw) that works by pulling a lever that is the pinion on a rack and pinion which drives a rack down and activates the series of cams and such to drive the needle through leather. It's designed to be handled very aggressively and the internals are all steel with a cast iron body. I figured a vertical shaper type motor could work but idk if it would work in that config since the rack is internal to the body and the pinion drives it. What are your thoughts? I want to be able to activate something with my foot while I grab with both hands so I don't have to buy a whole new multi thousand dollar machine for more complicated work. And it doesn't have to run constantly. If I had a floor pedal and it did one full actuation (all the way down and up) every press sorta like a nailgun tempo that would be enough
>>
>>2545330
Choke up on the drill in an r8 collet, fix a Dremel or grinder in your vise, and cut the drill flat by feeding it into your grinder cutter
>>
>>2544375
Center drills are called center drills because they're meant to drill a hole for a live center to fit into. If this is bait, congratulations I replied
>>
I am trying to model a part in fusion 360. I don't have a print for it but I put it in my machine and probed all of the corners. is there a way to easily input all of the coordinates as points and then just connect all the dots? I tried this before but the only way I could see to do it was to drop a point and then dimension it using 0,0 as a datum point which quickly became a huge mess.
>>
>>2545918
You can, but that's an inside-out way of doing it. You're talking about measuring a polygon based on where the vertices land instead of just measuring each side. Do-able, yes, but backwards.
The normal way would be to draw your basic shape on the X,Y plane starting at origin (0,0), dimension the sides, add any features (angles, radii, etc), extrude in Z to get the 3d shape, and then make additional features as needed.
If you insist on doing it your way, place your points at the needed coordinates, then use constraints and the dimension tool to set their distances in relation to one another. But you wouldn't be able to, i.e., set angles and such until you started placing lines to close the shape. And once you did that, either A) the line wouldn't land on the point you placed, or B) you'd have to move the point you placed, which would conflict with the constraint you placed on it. Which is probably why you're having a hard time with it.
>>
>>2545952
it's difficult to just draw the part because there are angles and round parts I can't measure easily. I am just looking for a quick way of placing all my points. in autocad you can just type in the x and y values as you are placing them but I don't see how to do that in fusion.
>>
>>2546115
¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
>>
>>2546115

Look up Keith Fenner on yt. He has a handheld scanning device just for this purpose
>>
>>2546140
yeah those things cost 10 grand
>>
Do you think I could get a decent entry level machining job and hold it for only a year and a half until I go to college? I was in the navy for two years as a nuclear machinist mate (reactor plumber) for two years if that helps.
>>
>>2546777
They hire people off the street, they would hire you with qualifications. Just dont tell them you are quitting in a year
>>
>>2547044
I probably sound like a faggot saying this, but wont that look bad on my record?
>>
>>2547045
As opposed to having a 1.5 year gap in your resume?
Just tell your future employer it was a short term gig to get some experience in before school.

Are you going to school for machining?
>>
>>2547047
No, biology so I can get a job in bioengineering.
I choose machining in the meantime since it seems like a useful skill to have and all the math involved should scare away the puertoricans and mexicans.
>>
>>2547054
Nobody is going to dock you for leaving the Navy, and getting a job with qualifications you got in the navy before school. You left for school not because you are a shit worker.

I wont lie, dont get your hopes up of high pay or mentally engaging work.
Machining is a really good gig once you are in higher positions.

The industry is slow moving. Youll have to prove your worth to an employer before getting any sort of meaningful work.
With only a year, youll be making low wages and doing the same work the mexicans from temp agencies are doing

If you stay a while, youll certainly move up, but there is none of that come in off the street and make good wages without "earning" it.
Still very much a "shake their hand and look em in the eye" type of trade in most shops.

I doubt youll have a hard time finding a shop though.
>>
>>2547045
Just lie you retard. My resume is full of lies. As long as you can meet your expectations of employment who gives a fuck. Interviews are just them lying to you, you lying to them, and if both of you can believe enough of each other's lies then congratulations you have a job for two years until the next shop offering $3 an hr more pops up on indeed
>>
Whats your favorite cutting fluid?
PB Blaster, or dawn soap and water?

This man uses both!
https://youtu.be/s0WSM0ZXdsA?t=545
>>
File: file.png (419 KB, 1024x576)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
>>2548664
for me, it's lizzie.
>>
What would a 4 high rolling mill able to produce 7" sheets cost if I were to get a good deal second hand? Able to mill thin more important than pressure (sterling)
>>
>>2548669
>married
>spends her time doing dumb shit like this with her husband
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujeTSuckxbw

As least she isnt a fucking Mormon like Matt and the rest of his family
>>
>>2523496
"The oldboss who made the programs did it for some reason so dont EVER touch it"

this is how Warhammer 40K happens LOL
>>
Made my first thing on my first CNC. Small student apartment so best I could do was a Nomad 3, which I had to baby around for an afternoon before realizing the poor thing doesn't have anywhere near the required stiffness for high DOC/low WOC toolpaths without the spindle bogging down or the machine shaking itself silly and making my entire floor unlivable without hearing protection in the process.

What works best so far is 20000rpm, 0.15mm DOC, 1.25mm WOC and feed around 3500 mm/min for minimal noise with a somewhat acceptable material removal rate. Also ordered a whole bunch single flutes, an engraver and a bunch of other stuff.

Anyone got any tips on feeds and speeds on small desktop mills? Getting one made me realize just how little I know about what causes chatter, chip welding and other such surprises, having learned the ropes on a proper industrial VMC which will happily do in 2 minutes what a Nomad does in 3 hours.
>>
>>2549937
>Small student apartment
I give it about four days until a neighbor kills you
>>
>>2549963
Managed to not get lynched so far, definitely heading there though with deep roughing cuts. With aforementioned F&S it's very manageable noise-wise but I'll probably end up making an additional enclosure around it for noise isolation.
>>
how do I make my knurling not look like shit? are my rollers dull?
>>
>>2544190
This is a problem as old as machining itself. Although it's largely been solved by the invention of highly accurate linear scales and digital readouts.
>>
>>2550001
You aren’t going deep enough
Buy a scissor style knurler if your machine isn’t stiff enough
>>
>>2550195
>You aren’t going deep enough
that's what she said
>>
File: 71jZlvAm0lL._SL1500_.jpg (373 KB, 1500x688)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>2513587
What's this adjustment hole for?
>>
File: IMG_20230127_175354597.jpg (2.06 MB, 4160x3120)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
the shop I'm at is probably going to go out of business soon. it's not a machine shop and my job title isn't machinist but I frequently make parts with machines. I'm currently making $21/hour and I don't think I can get much more if I stick with my current profession, if I can even find another job doing it. is it possible to switch to an actual machinist job but skip the button monkey/floor sweeper stage with the experience I have now? I also sort of know cad/cam and how to run haas and fanuc stuff. if I become a machinist will there be more opportunities to make more money?

picture is a part I made today.
>>
>>2551123
what the fuck happened on those last 2 threads, anon?
>>
>>2549937
>>
>>2549937

I'm never fucking milling 7075 on this thing again
>>
>>2551124
the dro has been broken for years and I made an oops reading the dials. if anyone asks though it's a chamfer.
>>
>>2551123
>scraps simple part
>is it possible to switch to an actual machinist job but skip the button monkey/floor sweeper stage with the experience I have now?

what do you reckon?
>>
>>2550001
Push the shit outta the carrige. I lean the fuck into it. I don't care if it's bad for the machine. Low rpm, high feed. I have no experience programming knurling in a cnc
>>
>>2551123
See>>2547577
They are going to lie to you in the interview. Lie to them. Fully make up a resume with fake references.When they ask what you are expecting to make, ask the salary range and reply with the highest number the say.
>>
>>2551543
it passed the only inspection and I got paid for it though
>>
Im an absolute noob with a lathe. I am quite mechanically inclined though. I bought a small lathe to play with and have been practicing making chips.
>>
i need a new chuck for my large drill press. i have an mt4 on the spindle and two reducers down to mt2.
Should i buy the chuck with a mt2 shaft and use the reducers, or go straight from b16 to mt4?
>>
>>2551873
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234592953653
>>
>>2551707
What lathe?
>>
>>2552013
not what i asked
i already decided on a chuck, Röhm Prima 13mm
all my larger drills are morse taper anyway
>>
Are you guys machinists by trade or just guys who like it?

I'm a machinist and have been for a few years now. Not sure if I should build up a tool collection like my old coworkers, like does it matter. Maybe I'd get paid more as a traveling machinist with those tools but I'd if its really worth throwing down the money, especially since I rarely use anything besides the basic things I already have.
>>
>>2552021
You asked a stupid question
>despite everyone understanding TIR is objectively hurt by adapters, should I use more or less adapters!
>>
>>2552016
grizzly g0768
8x16
>>
does anyone have resources for vacuum fixture design for milling? I have zero experience with it and keep getting asked to design them. Nobody at my company is knowledgeable enough to teach me and we have no guides/resources on it fml
>>
>>2552846
here's this six year old video that, against all odds, i somehow managed to find by typing
>diy vacuum fixture
into youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzYzTYjWuc
and here's another one
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcRGvB6dYw0
it's weird. you just type the thing you want into the little box, and it gives you what you want.
crazy, huh?
>>
>>2553072
Sorry I guess I shoulda specified I’m doing 10-100k$ aerospace parts and was looking for something more relevant to that industry and not home gamer type stuff. Coworkers are saying it’s basically all trade secrets tho at this level:/
>>
>>2553104
even at that level, it's still all diy. unless you just want to toss out money, in which case, just go to whoever the oem is that makes your machines. chances are they already have plug-and-play solutions available.
>>
>>2552846
You're doing tool amd die or engineer work at this point.

Google what the max psi you cam get from a decent fast industrial vacuum is, like is it 80% or 90% vacuum? How long does it take to achieve it?

How many PSI that vacuum at STP?

That PSI is your clamping force down if you have perfect coverage of you vacuum holes on your part. Debate it by like 70%

That clamping force is what you got. Look up a friction table for your material, probably steel on steel. That's your maximum side load.
>>
what are the best ways to get a broken tap out of a hole if you don't have edm? I fucked one up today and barely managed to unfuck it by drilling out the core of the tap with a carbide drill, but I almost had a melty when the carbide drill broke too.
>>
>>2542412
It would be 2k sfm exactly
>>
>>2544190
Thats because you are using a 90° drill to do your chamfer and spot at the same time like a lazy asshole instead of doing a proper spot, drilling, then the chamfer

Stop acting like a lazy poor negro
>>
File: MODUL_VAC_MAT-700x525.jpg (42 KB, 700x525)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2552846
>10-100k aerospace parts
Have them fucking buy it from people who make vac fixtures professionally for their business model instead of asking a guy who makes aerospace parts professionally to make vac fixtures. Who fucking cares if it saves them money to DIY it for them, they aren't gonna give you any share of the savings
https://thameworkholding.com/products/vacuum-workholding/
https://piersonworkholding.com/vacuum-chuck/
>>
>>2553976
A proper spot drill prechamfers
>>
>>2552025
im a tool and die maker and like 95% of the tools ive purchased for myself are because i was sick of having to run around to find the shops set. Would imagine this is the case for most people who work in a machining trade

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.