[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How much difference does lubrication really make? I have a few small diy projects with gears and I haven’t been lubricating them and they work fine so far. Does anyone know approximately how long lubrication increase the lifespan of gears?
>>
>>2509454
Depends on load and gear material but it matters generally
>inb4 lubrication is a conspiracy of big oil
>>
>>2509454
Depends on application. A clock can go years without oiling, because it's a low/no heat application. It will take decades to wear out any bushings or pivots.
Add heat and higher usage/RPM, oil becomes way more important.
>>
>>2509457
They’re plastic gears and run small stuff mostly under 5 inches so I think the load is pretty low. They’re also turned off most of the time, I only turn then on a few hours a week.
>>
>>2509460
How much heat are we talking about? Some of my gears are next to light bulbs
>>
>>2509461
>They’re plastic gears
in general they do not need lube
>>
>>2509469
lube might even eat up some sorts of plastic.
>>
>>2509461
A dry silicone or graphite spray works great for plastic gears.
>>
I filled up the rear diff of my ATV with red grease and ATF like 20 years ago and haven't checked it since.
>>
>>2509454
Loctite
>>
>>2509454
>How much difference
Yes.
>>
>>2509454
https://sci-hub.se/https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/004316489390282Q
here is all u need to know look at the conclusion for a tldr.
also just for quick info use PTFE, silicone, or graphite, u could also simply use Vaseline and it work just fine for 70% of home applications...
refer to this presentation for more practical info:
https://www.ecllube.com/resources-for-engineers/tutorials/ECL_Tips%20on%20Lubricating%20Plastics.pdf
>>
>>2509461
plastic should self lubricate
for metal you need lubricant
try draining your car's engine oil and see how long it lasts (if you hate money ofc)
>>
>>2510211
Nah man vaseline is risky. All hydro-carbon chemicals have a chance to be absorbed by certain plastics because they are hydro-carbon products of petroleum themselves. There is no good way to tell which lubricant will attack which plastic other than empirical, destructive testing. That's why "PTFE, silicone, or graphite" are recommended because they aren't hyrdo-carbons and the chance of this freak interaction occurring is extremely low. If you can't find these plastic-safe lubes, it's better to just not lube them since plastics are often self-lubricating like other anons said.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.