[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: stg.jpg (16 KB, 538x207)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Shop Talk General?
/stg/
Can we have a general shop talk thread, about anything and nothing at the same time. Just /diy/ dudes and dudettes chit chatting.

Best part of my day is usually shooting the shit anyway.
>>
So whens smoko?
>>
>>2504978
I don't follow jap culture that much, what are you referring to with smoko
>>
>>2504971
I hate working on things, and im on the verge of selling every tool I own and never touching anything again.
>>
>>2505034
>I hate working on things
Working on things in general, or your management and clientele?
>>
that's literally every thread in this board go to /v/ if you want to farm replies
>>
>>2504992
If not trolling, smoko is Australian for "smoke break", as illustrated in this certified outback classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc
>>
>>2505162
not true
>>
>>2505034
Aye, I still find it enjoyable if things go well, but nowadays it feels like I'm one dropped bolt away from burning down my project car....
>>
Excessive masturbation to hentee manga has damaged my peen.
>>
>>2505302
I would recommend going with a higher grit of sandpaper.
>>
File: 589580802.jpg (218 KB, 1008x1024)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>2505173
>>
>>2505306
Golf clap and nodding He man gif of approval.
>>
File: 1372043364865.png (81 KB, 255x309)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>dad is a cheap fuck, shade tree mechanic who has never owned a nice vehicle dragging old beaters along my whole life
>got fed up with my dad driving my mom around in dangerous vehicles that are extremely unsafe in a potential wreck
>made them a deal they could afford for to buy my 2016 Highlander

>currently sitting at their house with my brothers watching TV
>parents went to the store for a few things
>I called my mom when they were out
>"your father has been looking at oil for the last 40 mintues!"
>tell her it takes 0W-20 Synthetic, it only needs like 4.5q so just buy a 5q jug of Mobil 1
>dad quips back that he is buying 10W30 because its high mileage and needs to compensate for engine wear
>i try to explain to my mom why thats stupid, and that her car only has ~75k light miles on the car
>dad gets pissed and starts fighting with my mom saying "YOU CANT CONTINUE TO CONTROL MY LIFE"
>i drop it and hang up letting them do their thing
>he comes back with 6qts of 10W-30 Synthetic blend and a cheap filter

I know people will fight and refute oil viscosities all day long, but the high for the temperature today was 22f
Running thick oil, when its been below freezing, in a modern engine with tight tolerances and thin oil passages, with only ~75k miles just blows my mind.
It doesnt burn or leak oil, its in perfect mechanical shape.

Its hard to not get annoyed about it, the premature wear and tear wont be apparent until down the road, but is it really that hard to follow things by the books every once in a while?
>>
Anyone else like to spin bearings across the floor with the air compressor?
>>
>>2505293
i've smashed a few pieces of trim due to bad cuts. I hate when the retard slips out into the one area that defines my identity. if I cant do the one thing im supposedly good at I got nothing
>>
All I did today was pick up scrub wood piles and wander around the property and burned them. Looked like I was busy but I was just aimlessly listening to music puttering around. Got hammered and popped zyn after zyn but the burn pile was cozy. I was going to mow up the leaves but the frost didn’t melt. Oh I did try to rejet my kids dirtbike but I made it worse. Come to find out I have to drill out a plug in the carb to get to the fuel mixture screw.
>rambling off
>>
I shopped for a new truck today. Looked at a Ram, F150, and GMC. All 1500s. Think we’re going to go with the Ram. We’re getting older and the cab was comfy. That’s all I got. Interesting idea for a thread OP. I hope it takes off.
>>
>>2506198
My dad is the same way, but is extra frustrating because he drives insanely shitty cars while earning 250k. If his car breaks down on the way to work it could cause a massive costly disruption for many people, and instead of going to buy a 15k civic that always works he scrapes a 1995 Saturn to 375k miles with barely any interior left
>>
>>2506409
I manage a fleet of trucks and the rams are literally the only ones that don't have undiagnoseable interior squeaks. Had a couple rams where the buttons on the steering wheels would stick but besides that they're comfy.
>>
>>2506416
Your dad is a fucking baller.
>>
>>2506555
I don't get why either anon is so mad at someone driving old cars, unless they are actually shit brands or something. As long as you maintain your vehicle and know what you are doing with it, it can last a long time if it was made to last. Also have the benefit of not being essentially smartphones on wheels blasting even more free data collection to data brokers and the fed.
>>
What’s on your Xmas list?

I got a set of Norseman mechanic’s length drill bits on there too, I might move them up the list.
>>
>>2506643
Will like to hear your thoughts on the Drill Doctor…if Santa is good to you.
>>
>>2507136
He doesnt know shit about drill bits, or by extension the drill doctor.
He's made that abundantly clear in the past.

Drill doctors only work if you have drill bits that are straight, and have the right helix angle.
Youll find some bits just will not sharpen properly due to the helix being too tight or too loose, and the drill doctor doesnt have enough adjustment for it.

A real darex does, but normal people arent buying Darex's.
If you want a drill doctor buy the 750 and realize 99% of people will never make your money back with it.
You dont have good enough drill bits, nor do you do enough drill work for it to matter
>>
File: 20211101_095808.jpg (3.95 MB, 4032x3024)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB JPG
>>2506416
>>
>>2507153
The 750x doesn’t give you much more, a couple more angle adjustments and the 3/4” bit adapter which you can buy anyway. The 500 gives you 118deg and 135deg split point, which is what every damn bit is.

>>2507136
We’ll see what happens. I’m starting to get ok at sharpening them by hand but it’s a pain. Also maybe I’ll get lucky and get that Norseman 29pc set and have a good metal drill bit set for some years to come.
>>
>>2507153
>drill doctor
never had a problem with mine. it was hilarious watching AVE try to use one.

haven't found a drill bit yet that I can't sharpen.
>>
>>2507153
>>2507246
>>2507261
I would like one but the cost always makes me think I can just buy a new bit in the size I screwed up. I am rough on drill bits.

Kind of like a nice set of tap and dies. I would like a nice set but a new bolt is cheaper.
>>
File: IMG_20221017_101244.jpg (1017 KB, 3000x4000)
1017 KB
1017 KB JPG
>be turbochad 60 something coworker at furniture painting plant
>never cared about anything
>everyday after the coffee break he rinses his mug at the drinking fontain
>no water drainage
>he could walk a few feets to the nearest window and throw it in the river
>instead he just pours it on the floor and lets it dry overnight
>eventually the water gets into particle board paneling
>wind must have brought some spores
>miracle of life happens
>>
>>2507261
Which model do you have?

For all of Anon’s complaints, they seem to be fairly well regarded, especially considering so many of the other cheap bit sharpeners are terrible and the reviews will tell you that.

Looks like Santa got some stuff off my wishlist. The gay messenger bag thing isn’t for me
>>
I had one of the original drill drs and it was pretty good, but kinda flimsy.

Upgraded a few years back to a drill dr 750x and its the same deal with a few extra adjustments. Still cheap feeling. Honestly anything 1 /4" and larger i sharpen by hand. Its those tiny bastards that suck.

Bought a drill grinder off of ebay (look up vevor MR-13B). Thing is miles ahead of a drill dr. Grind quality blows it out of the water. Uses actual collets to hold the bits.100% would recommend for the $.
>>
>>2509415
They have it on Amazon from some different chink brand… $430. I could buy a lifetime supply of DeWalt black & golds for that money. Looks fancy though if the tolerances are good enough to get a good grind.
>>
>>2509441
Based chinaman graphics
>>
>>2509441
I used to own a drill doctor and that thing was weird. Sometimes It would work excellently and sometimes it was utter dog shit. Eventually I learned how to sharpen a bit by hand. Im not super great at it, especially on the smaller ones but its sort of like sharpening a knife. It may not be as good as brand new but at least its back to usable.

The only time I wont sharpen a bit is if Im going to tap a hole, because if you fuck up the bit you can get a fucked up hole

I usually only tape 1/4 20 holes, so I just buy one whenever I need to tap a hole.
>>
I am sick of my workplace introducing mandatory unnecessary PPE and all of the FUCKING WOMEN and ONIONS FAGGOTS they hire supporting it because they are so risk averse that reducing even the tiniest, most minuscule risk is worth wearing uncomfortable, hot, obstructive PPE.
>>
>>2509441
Maybe check the 13a model without the adjustable back grind pins and also check on ebay. I would do it if i wasn't on my miserable tablet. I think the 13b was $260ish on ebay last time i looked.
>>
My dad gave my fucking NEET brother his 30 yr old leather jacket he bought in Oklahoma and the bastard isn't taking care of it. He doesn't wash it, he doesn't condition it, and when he gets food or something on it he wipes it off with a damp towel. How do I get it through his greasy skull that he needs to take care of shit before it gets ruined?
>>
>>2509933
You can give a horse a cigar, but you can't make it smoke. It's not your jacket, and although it's painful for you to see it get ruined he literally doesn't care enough about it to maintain it well, which is his problem at the end of the day. Sux man, hope you get a jacket even better and take care of it.
>>
All this talk about Drill Doctor stuff.
Just buy a cbn wheel for your bench grinder??
>>
>>2509965
You can use a medium grit standard stone
>>
>>2509965
That’s assuming you’re not retarded and can get a good edge on it. Also bench grinders eat away material really fuckin fast if you’re not careful.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.