[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 189 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are some ways to save money and live more independently?
>>
File: happy men.jpg (88 KB, 859x1024)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Ignore women.
>>
>>2498480
Dumpster dive for food.
>>
don't spend as much money.
>>
Don't diy everything stealing is cheaper sometimes
>>
>>2498486
That fuckin view is sick

>>2498480
>buy this new house with the wife
>wife always claims she hates clutter
>within a month of owning said house, wife buys fall and pumpkin themed fucking everything
>tfw she hasn’t even started on Xmas decor
I’m constantly fighting that bullshit in the garage too.
>>
>>2498496
they lock them up now. People taking perfectly good food from the dumpsters decreases their in-store sales
>>
>>2498480
Earn more money
>>
>>2498480
always cook your own food, only go out if it's a meaningful event
not even necessarily from scratch, but the closer you get usually the cheaper it is

my number one pet peeve is coworkers bitching about being broke, yet they have enough money to go out for lunch every day of the week, not including how many times they go to the bar after work and eat out on weekends.

also learn how to do minor repairs on your vehicle. that's another big expense that can be minimized. try to get your oil changes professionally done at least once a year so you have a paper trail of service, and go some place where the do a "free 80 point inspection" or whatever, so they can tell you if anything's wrong for you to fix yourself
>>
>>2498637
>"free 80 point inspection" or whatever,
kek
>>
>>2498486
My wife actually lived like this when we met, and I'm pretty much the same. Anytime we have people over to our house, we always receive comments on our "minimalism".

We have a game/crafts room, nothing in the garage, an office with just a desk and my desktop in it, nothing on the walls, kitchen appliances and a king bed in our room. We were given a sofa for free, so we have one of those now parked in front of a tiny tv. Neither of us give a fuck about decorating or making a place feel "homey", she spends all her time reading and building shit, and I'm either working or gaming. You just gotta find the right bitch.
>>
>>2498480
Shipping container tinyhome. If its buried it will save on heating.
>>
>>2498502
>>within a month of owning said house, wife buys fall and pumpkin themed fucking everything
dont fall for consumer trends

dumpsterdive AND foodbank, and shop at discount grocers as well.

sometmes diy is more time consuming than just buying shit. but do factor in learning and experience even if it doesnt seem time/efficient
>>
if you have hobbies involving large stuff

having a pickup truck or van to pick up free material when the opportunity arises is a great way to save money.
>>
>>2498502
discipline your wife bro
>>
>>2498480
>>2498505
Lock picking, vandalism, chickens, permaculture, rape, social manipulative abuse of richer people, stealing electricity is easy, rainwater collection, Mexican jobs, and reselling everything you own.
>>
>>2498502
women are a meme
>>
>>2498849
This sounds like my daily life
>>
>>2498480
>>2498486
Woman here. It looks bad and this is why.

>Nothing but a TV
>no accessories, no drawing table no guitar no nothing else except a fucking TV.

I can easily tell the type of person this guy is, bland boring gamer loser with no friends and no other hobbies.

That's what I see as a woman, and that is a BIG turnoff.
>>
>>2498893
>Woman here.

Nobody cares.
>>
File: 1-photo-u1.jpg (25 KB, 650x638)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>Always buy second hand
>Bake your own coarse bread.
>lower the temp in your living quarters. Use wool under garments and warm clothes. Heating is expensive and it's better for your health. (takes a few weeks to get accustom to) 18-19 degrees are preferable.
>Do maintainence on your own vehicles (buy oils in bulk, don't buy expensive snake-oil just make sure that the ones you get have the proper quality specs for your vehicle).
>Buy food in bulk and on sale. Cook a big batch of food and put it in potions in your second hand bought freezer with your home made bread.
>Nobody needs soda or softdrinks, it's a waste of money.
>pirate your entertainment
>Technology, computers and such. Never buy the latest, it's overpriced. Get the best deals on the previous gen of tech. (phones, cpu, gpu, and so forth).
If you stay a couple of years behind the new stuff it'll be easier to know what preforms best and find the best value for money. (this also includes entertainment like games, if you can't or don't want to pirate it.)
>do some research for the stuff you need to subscribe to, like insurances, Internet providers, electricity, phone-providers and so on.
>trade if you can. Trade all the stuff you have but you can't or don't use much for stuff you'd actually use, sell it off if you can't trade it.
>Trade your knowledge and skills. You do something well that others don't, trade services. Help out others in return for them helping you out.
>Always identify resources around you. Utilise them. (example: when doing like a building project, don't use materials that are scarce, use materials and building methods that utilise local natural resources and materials.
-Anyway, thats how I do it.
>>
>>2498480
This is a scarcity mindset, not a growth mindset.
Don't concentrate on how to save more, but rather how to earn more. Spending more money on yourself is fine if it enables you to earn multiplicatively more. This is how business works, and that's the FIELD of moneymaking.
>>
>>2498496
Wear thick gloves I cut myself badly few weeks ago on broken glass.
>>
>>2498913
Agree although you must also maintain a keen sense of frugality to be well-off.

It seems like people only ever focus on one of two strategies— I know high-power lawyers whom are borderline living paycheck to paycheck and I also know blue-collar factory operators that spend way too much time min/maxing coupons or whatever. Definitely a middle-class mindset to focus on the cost-savings side of things though.

I’ll hear people at work talk about the ‘clever’ ways they saved money on something or heard on tiktok about how you can take advantage of this government tax credit etc. To me, this signals they believe they’ve essentially reached their peak earning and now must meter our their money rather than focus on growing their career.

>tfw a poorly performing coworker tells you about their investment plans which are clearly some influencer’s picks and thinks that you will believe they are smart for it
>>
>>2498893
Like you don't just spend all fucking day sitting there watching true-crime bullshit on Netflix
>>
>>2498480
>unironically, don’t have a girlfriend or wife
I love my fiancee so much and she even has her own job but having a girlfriend is expensive (and not even in a woman-hating way). As a single guy, my fri/sat would be me buying some take-out mexican food and a six-pack and either playing vidya alone or hanging with a friend. Now, go to a (not even expensive) restaurant, get two drinks and an appetizer, you’re spending like $100. Then you go to the movies or bowling and its another $50. Even if you split it with her, you’re still spending ~$50 more than you would’ve alone. This goes for essentially all aspects of life— grocery shopping, trips, holidays, etc. When I was single, I wanted to do all of these things with a girl however I’m glad i had a few years of making good salary while single to save up.

>be me, 23, single, just out of school with solid engineering job
>35 yr old coworker tells me how he felt richest when he was 23 and single despite making less salary
>think it is some typical ‘haha hate my wife’ joke
>now 27 and engaged, make 1.5x what I did at 23 and my fiancee makes about .75x what i made at 23 (total 2.25 what i made at 23)
>coworker absolutely right
>kids on the horizon, god help me

I dont regret anything though, this isnt some woman hate thing, I don’t miss drinking shit beer alone in my room on weekends
>>
>>2498948
In the same boat with my wife
I'm still making great money but I'm barely saving because even though we bought a house and have to fix up tons of things she still isn't happy unless we 'go somewhere' once or twice a week
Which is by default 40 bucks minimum
Meanwhile I'd rather just sit here and play video games between projects

Why don't women play video games? They just watch TV, which of course gets boring as hell, it's not active at all
>>
Hobbies are honestly my biggest culprit. Reading manga and exercising I can do for pennies but diy shit and cooking new recipes costs me a lot in materials and ingredients.

But really this anon has it right >>2498913
You are probably better off getting a job that pays $5 more an hour than not letting yourself buy things.
>>
>>2498954
>she still isn't happy unless we 'go somewhere' once or twice a week
felt this one, though it is surprisingly easy to satisfy this need.
>Meanwhile I'd rather just sit here and play video games between projects
I genuinely believe women are fulfilled by completely different things than men. While going out and socializing is nice, I am really only fulfilled via the completion of tasks (I don’t play much vidya any more but in my view it is essentially task oriented)
>They just watch TV, which of course gets boring as hell, it's not active at all
Same observation as me. I’m not sure I’ve really only ever known one or two women to have a true hobby that is not performative in nature (ie social-oriented or social-feedback oriented). Women also seem to watch mostly shows where people just talk about other people or feelings all of the time.

It always strikes me as funny that so many women claim men don’t understand women. I’d say that the majority of men understand and accept women pretty well (or at least understand their behaviors/motivators). Women seem to not only misunderstand men, but are completely unaware they misunderstand men.

>tfw your fiancee asks you what you want to do this weekend
>tell her you want to work on your hobby/project
>tfw while youre working on your thing you know your fiancee is basically just waiting for you to finish so you can do something with her instead
>>
>>2498486
The TV is below eye level, I'd ditch the chair.
>>
File: 1619980076411.png (134 KB, 974x998)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>2498913
>you must consoom
>>
>>2498713
and you can store imitation crab eat in the 500ft hole you dug under the floor
>>
>>2498480
Don't use a network provider that costs more than $8/month if you have internet at home. Also make your own food. Don't eat out. Don't buy pre-made meals from Walmart
>>
Steal shit from work, sleep in sweats under a big blanket to keep from running the heat, eat leftovers from my parent's or my sister's who live nearby
>>
>>2499211
Steal wifi, use handsoap from work as bodywash, get groceries from the food bank. There's also a thrift store near here that has a free bin that's filled with stuff that's sat on the shelves too long
>>
>>2498496
This, I've also had great luck at resale shop dumpsters repairing and flipping broken furniture/electronics. YMMV with management/cops, go to the highest-income zip codes near you if you can. Antiques/vintage stuff from residential trash is another goldmine on eBay if you're lucky, stop and check out any large pile that seems like it's got old stuff from an estate clear-out.

>>2498505
>>2498938
aint it the way
>>
>>2499215
Dumpster diving is legal unless posted or you've specifically been asked not to
>>
>>2498913
I'm convinced this bullshit is a con targeting the 'rise and grind' crowd that work near minimum wage jobs to be even dumber with their money. Frugality can benefit everyone and is almost always the prudent thing to do. Naturally this can be taken to extremes, but the vast majority of the US has a spending problem. High earners that live paycheck to paycheck is a common thing here. And this whole 'abundance' thing is wasteful and short sighted. Fill up more landfills with useless chinese crap to buy more useless chinese crap, and dont worry about retirement, live in the moment like my parents and now that you're too old and crippled to work expect to ride off your kids.
>>
>>2498480
Learn to grow things.
Learn to cook things.
Learn to build things.
Learn to fix things.

Buy property in a remote area.

Start there.
>>
>>2498893
Woman here. That's not how you womanpost okay. I bet you're an incel who reads a few troll posts and thinks because he called someone a gamer loser that he can impersonate a woman properly. You probably were raised by a single mother and have some psychological issues sweaty. What I suggest you do is get some therapy, learn to listen to and respect women, and instead of using greentext and properly structured separated points in sentences adn paragraphs you write the whole thing out as a messy train of thought thing okay women don't properly structure their stuff for legibility that's hard i'm doing my best okay. I'd appreciate if you didn't act like this again i find it hurtful i've already got to go to a psychologist this week because of my mental health issues that I discovered a year ago well into my adulthood because I didn't notice I had autism, adhd and leprosy until it was trendy.
Okay you got that?
>>
>>2498693
Sounds like me - I'm not a minimalist, I just hate clutter. I like having things, and I just don't mindlessly buy shit to have. I like art, so I have some good art prints on the wall, and I cook, so I have a small collection of utensils and pots, but I really only use 2 drawers and 3 cabinets in the kitchen. I've had female guests who freak out over my empty drawers and cabinets when the see how many are empty. Lady, I don't need more. And you loved the dinner I cooked, so shut the fuck up.
Same at work - I keep my workplace organized, and I spend a couple minutes at the end of the day to put shit away, clean up files, etc. Everyone else's workspaces are cluttered and disorganized and they can't find anything, but they know where my shit is, and steal it.
Reminds me of the day I spent at Apple, at the old campus, in the main building. The hallway with devs had the typical assortment of cubicles (they were small offices with sliding glass doors, pretty nice, actually, there were two extremes - one was a simple room, with a low table, a cushion with a laptop on it, and a Japanese scroll on the wall. The other end was a cubicle with every Simpson's toy or gadget ever made, so much you couldn't see the furniture.
Either would drive me insane, but what I prefer is closer to the Japanese aesthetic, rather than the 'covered in toys" aesthetic. I've never felt the need to have toys on my desk. A couple of plants, some prints, and work tools. I go fancy with the screensaver and desktop.
>>
>>2498893
>I can easily tell the type of person this guy is, bland boring gamer loser with no friends and no other hobbies.
If you're a NEET, sure. I could also see someone who travels a lot for his job, isn't home much, and doesn't give a fuck. Or someone who rented a place near the beach for a few months, and wants to bail easily when he leaves.
But seeing that would require understanding that there are millions of people who leave home a lot, and aren't hermits like you.
>>
>>2499263
Peak 4chan, a man telling another man he's pretending to be a woman wrong, while pretending to be woman wrong.
>>
>>2499267
Nigger I'm practically quoting one.
>>
>>2498913
>consoom more
>grind more
>consoom more
>grind more
>consoom more
>???????
>>
>>2498913
This man gets it
I know this fund manager bro he'll get you 13% P.A. return, so if you borrow at 10% for a Nissan Murano and invest your cash then that's basically free money. I don't know what risk and volatility is.
>>
>>2498910
>Cook food
>put it in potions
what other magical solutions do you sell, my potion merchant
>>
>>2498486
Look outside and see you don't need more.
>>
>>2498480
Try to eliminate your monthly payments.
Spend on goods, not on services.
>>
>>2498480
Literally just don't eat out and live with roommates

My expenses are as follows
>Rent: $350 (5 roommates)
>Food: $250 (also includes other daily goods)
>Phone: $15 (cheapest plan)
That's literally it
>>
>>2499570
Not op, but I would literally rather die than have roommates again.

My monthly expenses
>Mortgage/Tax/insurance: $700
>Food: $150
>Phone: $25
>Internet: $120 1gbps
>Power: $40
>Natural Gas: $50
>water: $18
>vpn: $5.50
I work from home mostly so I don't use too much fuel anymore
I don't do any streaming services.

Totals about 1,110 dollars a month

I make about 6,000 dollars a month (before taxes, after taxes $4,850), so throw in all the bullshit spending and college loans and stuff and I save around 850 dollars a pay check (bi weekly) so that's something like 1800 a month saved and still gives me like 200 bucks for spending every month on stupid shit.

90% of the work is making sure you know how much you earn and how much you spend and trying to stick to it. If you really want to save money, open a separate saving account and split money directly from your paycheck to it so you can't spend it.
>>
>>2499606
What do you need the botnet for?
>>
>>2499639
I don't like my work going out my public IP.
>>
>>2498910
>Buy food in bulk and on sale. Cook a big batch of food and put it in potions in your second hand bought freezer with your home made bread.
This. Even if not trying to save money, it saves a fuckton of time cooking large batches and freezing it instead of cooking multiple times a week.
You can also make own soft drinks for cheap. Sima, kvass, julmust, ginger beer...
>do some research for the stuff you need to subscribe to, like insurances, Internet providers, electricity, phone-providers and so on.
Change the providers some times, they'll phone you back with winback offers.

If you use internet on your mobile only for instant messaging like whatsapp, check the data plans marketed for trail cams and such. At least here where I live you can get them with call and sms capacity + unlimited slow (0,25 - 0,5 Mbps) internet much much cheaper than the normal plans.You might think that 0,25Mbps is slow as fuck but it's pretty much perfect for checking email and whatsapp/telegram. And it's always nice to surprise the stand sellers :D

>trade if you can. Trade all the stuff you have but you can't or don't use much for stuff you'd actually use, sell it off if you can't trade it.
>Trade your knowledge and skills. You do something well that others don't, trade services. Help out others in return for them helping you out.
I have heard that buying, repairing and selling used cars is pretty easy money if you have the skills to repair and source good cars for this
>>
>>2498480
>Buying your own tools and using the internet to learn how to do things yourself
>Cook GOOD food that you like yourself
>Spend money on the quality things you use often and research things to get the best money:quality ratio
>Not watching TV or paying for bullshit subscription services like Netflix
>Baking Soda as a fire extinguisher, toothpaste and carpet/drain cleaner
>Stainless Steel plates that are super easy to clean if you live by yourself
>Cast Iron skillet so you dont have 48579485 cheap teflon pans you need to replace every couple years
>Handwashing clothes if you don't want to lug around a washing machine (I did this unironically, it's not that bad)
>Hang dry clothes if your climate allows
Just off the top of my head
>>
>>2499656
Do you draw furry porn, or something? The glowies already know.
>>
>>2499681
I do
>>
>>2499570
You could take this one step further.
Assuming you find a decent group of rent bros and the right place to do it, you could sleep in your vehicle and use the domicile for cooking, bathing, and laundry. You pay X amount of the electric bill, and everyone wins.
>>
>>2499696

Post.
>>
>>2499570
Paying rent is cheaper monthly (even if mortgages are similar monthly to rents in your area), but if you want to actually own assets and build wealth you should be paying mortgage, not rent.
>>
>>2499676
>Cast Iron skillet so you dont have 48579485 cheap teflon pans you need to replace every couple years
You should definitely own at least one teflon pan and replace it regularly, especially for quick frying eggs or chicken or w/e.
>>
File: 1614717507298.jpg (161 KB, 975x1024)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>2498480
Its important to distinguish "living frugally" from being frugal. Buying a steak and making it at home to avoid 100x markup at steakhouses is very different from only eating rice and beans and squatting to save money.

If you're committed to true, TRUE frugality, you should honestly just kill yourself. It's basically free and eliminates every future expense.
>>
>>2499284
Hello, fellow traveler to /o/.
>>
File: animated dial with it.gif (57 KB, 360x267)
57 KB
57 KB GIF
>>2499764
>he doesn't have a steel wok

NGMI
>>
>>2499214
I've never understood the concept of stealing wifi or TV or any other over-the-air signals.
>>
>No guitar and amp for esoteric guitar solos for your anime
>No midi piano and PC for making games and soundtracks and drawing pad/animation software
>No weights in garage to lift and get shripped
>>
>>2499257
Dangerously based
>>
>>2499766
If you want to win at frugality, get sent to jail for life. Everything is paid for by the state. From what I can see, half of 4chan live the same lifestyle, anyway.
>>
>>2498893
ok, but for a women to have no hobbies except for a phone and netflix, its basically accepted by society. y'all boring. Oh, and going out drinking. as i said, boring
>>
>>2498893
Why would I care what you think though?
>>
>>2499766
Every time I see this image I keep seeing a diaper
>>
>>2499778
>I've never understood the concept of stealing wifi or TV or any other over-the-air signals
Internet is expensive and why pay for what you can get for free?
>>
>>2498486

Came here for this. As a man your biggest money sucks are:

> women
> buying a home at the wrong time in an economic cycle
> eating out. This shit costs like $125 a week. That's like $6k a year on shit you don't need
> streaming services
> buying a new car instead of driving an old Japanese beater
> buying fruit, veg, lentils, beans and rice, eggs and nuts at grocery store. Instead of meat and carb heavy diet which is expensive
>>
>>2498480
Buy a lot of land and move in.
>>
>>2498913
Don't do this or you'll end like me earning north of 6 figures but paying $3k a month in credit card debt
>>
>>2499999
Sounds like you just spent beyond your means.
>>
File: energy.gdp.jpg (30 KB, 474x358)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>2498913
>growth mindset
>during an incoming decades-long energy crisis
>>
>>2498480
No takeaways. No restaurants. No cinema. Leave nothing on but the essentials when you leave your abode. Unplug everything. Don't fall asleep in front of the TV/monitor if you haven't configured your devices for auto-shutdown. Exercise more frequently; if you're outside, you're saving money on household bills. You'll also be too busy to buy anything - especially if you've picked a quiet route. Library card instead of retail books and power guzzling Internet. Build new furniture from old. You should also consider crime.
>>
>live with roommates
>move close to work and have no car
>cook all meals
>get depressed
>think about quitting your job
>realize you don't have enough savings
>get stressed out
>realize there's no escape from wageslavery
>start spending your wage on improving your living standards
>get a car, live alone, spend money going out
>suffer life like everyone else
>>
>>2500081
That's my story. Can't afford property in the foreseeable future anyway, might as well do something enjoyable with the money...
>>
>>2498480
Don't eat out, don't have kids (those little demons are more expensive to maintain than a vintage sports car), learn how to do everything that's expensive to pay someone else to do, pump and dumb if you want to empty your balls, don't have any kind of subscription unless it's extremely necessary, and try to live with about 50% of your salary.
I used to make 2500 a month and lived very comfortably, but with not many luxuries, now I make about 10k/month and live the same way because I got used to it and don't miss most things.
>>
utalize gasbuddy.com when not in your neighborhood or on long trips. once you are at half a tank, keep an eye out for the next cheapest gas station within a half a tanks traveling distance.
when traveling across multiple states always keep an eye out for prices dropping significantly the next state over and if you dont have enough gas to make it there, dont fill your tank, just buy enough gas to make it to that state.
also sometimes the gas prices doesnt drop until you got like 50 miles passed the state border. i notice reno prices are damn near as much as cali prices, but once you go about 30 miles past reno, gas is like 75c/gal cheaper
>>
if you only go to uninsured events, you save a ton of money
$1 beers vs $6 beer + tip
$100 venue tickets vs pay what you can afford
cant bring gun vs can bring gun
>>
File: cali.jpg (365 KB, 2048x2048)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>2499676
>>Cast Iron skillet so you dont have 48579485 cheap teflon pans you need to replace every couple years
thin carbon steel pan uses less fuel
>>
if your a low-wage earner then consider working under the table or not working at all! which comes with many benefits:
>tax free
>foodstamps
>FREE HEALTHCARE
>cell phone/internet subsidies
>rent/utility assistance
>FREE TIME!
>>
my claimed homelessness in SF even thought she was living in my room and is so fucking lazy she didnt claim a free hotel room and $600/mo subsidy from SF during the covid scare. she also risks parking tickets and lets each one get a $300 late fee on top. shes a fucking idiot. shell get all cute and ask me to buy her stuff and ill respond "you dont care about money, why dont you go ahead and buy it for yourself, babe!"
im pretty sure her mother has been paying a lot of her bills.
>>
>>2500481
lol, wrong image
>>
>>2498989
>>tfw while youre working on your thing

Learned the hard way to do this feel more often, instead of asking what she wanted to do. Problems when ya treat her like a sensible adult, when this is not how one into a woman.
>>
>>2498989
This is why I am so grateful I married a tomboy, she plays videogames, does kickboxing and plays darts competitively, all on her own.
>>
>>2498948
>>2498954
>>2498989
Losers. Appreciate your woman FFS.
>>
>>2498486
the view is GORGEOUS
>>
>>2499934
or buy land and get a rv/tour bus instead of a house
>>
>>2498502
if she wants to decorate for the holidays that's fine... but make her get the shit after the holiday on discount then.
>>
>>2498496
I do. From November to April my wife and I live of 25€ a month due to the magic of dumpster diving.
Could tell you stories of how I found 200 pounds of Kinder chocolate, stacks of pizza or 40 pounds of whey protein powder.

If anybody is interested,

>https://discord.gg/eaUBkdrT

Other ways to save money: biking, becoming energy efficient, gardening.
>>
>>2499913
Good post. Let me play the devil's advocate: the best way of saving money is a good wife.
Combined household income as long as she's working, better tax rates, all costs basically divided by 2.
Higher efficiency due to shared chores, cooking.
Connections, assets and skills/workforce from the inlaws.
Eg. my father in-law is an incredible handyman and thaught me lots of tricks.
Unless you get divorced, marriage is unbeatable.
>>
>>2498693
lucky motherfucker
>>
>>2500599
i do

just lamenting the fact that I spend more money now than I did as a single man and wouldn’t recommend a relationship to someone whos primary goal is to save money
>>
>>2500655
>combined income
maybe true if you make a similar amount as her— if you make twice as much as her, it sort of brings your average down as now you are covering costs on her behalf you wouldn’t otherwise accrue
>better tax rates
true
>all costs divided by two
see point 1, also this ignores the very many costs that you accrue with a woman that you would otherwise not— ie engagement ring, thanksgiving decorations, dates etc
>higher efficiency
perhaps, though cleaning a house that two people are dirtying is not easier than cleaning a studio apartment with nothing but a bed, folding chair, and tv
>assets and benefits from in laws
yeah maybe

inb4 “you just need a GOOD wife”
No wife wants to live like some poverty tier single man with a single chair and TV, no vacations, no eating out.
>>
>>2500677
Dude- some men want kids and companionship. Can't have that with an Asuka pillow.

My wife made earned like 60% of my income when she was working. We could have easily lived just of her income.
Gave me some great leverage when negotiating for jobs.
Her profession is more stable than mine, so economic downturn would be a non-issue
>>
File: 994[1].jpg (194 KB, 661x1991)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>2500599
ok
>>
>>2500652
>discord
What if I'm not a tranny?
>>
>>2500700
>some men want kids and companionship
thats why i have a fiancee

It’s just not optimal for living frugally based on everything I’ve seen (what the thread is about). The whole point of a wife and kids is to NOT live like OP’s picture lol
>>
>>2499875
Makes my bonner even harder...
>>
>>2498502
>>buy this new house with the wife
>>wife always claims she hates clutter
>>within a month of owning said house, wife buys fall and pumpkin themed fucking everything
>>tfw she hasn’t even started on Xmas decor
>I’m constantly fighting that bullshit in the garage too.

God damn that hits too close to home...

At least my wife doesn't care to go out much, so we pretty much only go out to eat/for entertainment 2-3x per year and we only order in food 1x a month at the most. All other meals are home cooked. Her biggest expenses are a monthly gym fee, fuel to drive and see her mom a few times a month (her mom lives 25 miles away) and random shit she buys off scamazon.
>>
>>2500793
Sorry I misunderstood your point.
For me living frugal is not about living like a hobo with a roof over ones head.

OP's pic is could have a sofa, dining table etc ( all from the trash/local ads) and still be peak frugality.

OT: I'm cooking a pumpkin/potato soup atm. Will be around 20 servings. Freeze individually, combine with roasted bread or just bread and it's a full healthy meal for next to nothing.
Potatoes, pumpkin, onions and celery came from the garden anyway.
>>
>>2499778

Over the air TV is just there so use it. As far as free internet, you have a couple ways to do it. But it depends heavily on proximity to neighbors, how tech savy they are and if you are friendly with them.

You could try to crack the wifi password or the much easier method is is asking for the password and/or taking a picture of the sticker on the router then using a combo of hardware in addition to a spoofed MAC address and hostname (so it doesn't immediately point to you) redistribute it in your house

If you want to get really sneaky do this to 2 or more neighbors and setup load balancing/ failover so that if one does change the password on you there is time to figure it out before you lose it completely

The same applies to businesses sharing wifi and municiple community serivces

>t. WISP guy
>>
>>2500700
Re-read what OP asked and understand why your post is not relevant to this particular discussion.
>>
>>2498480
live like Good Will Hunting, use your own mind instead of listening to garbage. one tv will get you a tv buddy. books will give you no one. try that
>>
>>2498897
beyond based
>>
File: 1529926863802.png (1.69 MB, 1231x671)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>2499267
4chan, where all the women are men, all the men are 14 year olds, and all the 14 year olds are FBI agents
>>
>>2499999
Checked holy shit
>>
>>2498480
Here's a list of things I do;
>Drink instant coffee, only ten cents a cup and everything I need to make it fits on my desk at work.
>Cut my own hair
>Use fans instead of AC (in socal energy is so expensive that you really should do this)
>Use a TV antenna instead of cable. This is okay if you live in a city, not so good in rural places.
>No subscriptions except Netflix and YouTube premium family accounts. This covers YouTube music to so I don't need Spotify. I also have a recurring electronic payment sent to my church.
>BBC for less biased news.
>Use library to rent DVDs instead of paying to rent
>App from library lets me download audiobooks. Essentially like audible but free.
>Own my car, so no car payment.
>Mint mobile for cell phones
>No student loan so no dumb student loan payment.
>Bricks in my toilets so they use less water.
>Use an old Thinkpad for a computer instead of buying new.
>Generally frugal when it comes to shopping, and I never eat out at work, though I sometimes take the wife out maybe once per month.
>>
>>2499284
Your fund manager bro is full of baloney
>>
>>2501699
Not even a coffeefag, but instant is trash.
>No subscriptions except Netflix and YouTube premium family accounts.
> I also have a recurring electronic payment sent to my church.
>BBC for less biased news.
kek, what a cuck.
>>
>>2501815
Aldi instant coffee is pretty based, and I am a coffee fag that roasts his own coffee. Shit's like $3 and it'll last a month
>>
>>2498870
bazadu
>>
>>2498480
https://www.notechmagazine.com/
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/
Dont drop website. Its hosted on raspberry pi
>>
>>2498913
Not a day without Shlomo..
>>
>>2499870
You're an incel pretending not to care what women think? You can't pull off the alpha male act, little boy
>>
>>2501815
Nah instant is based. Half the coffee drunk in the whole world is instant. Also YouTube premium is worth it because it's cheaper than Spotify and I don't have to watch commercials
>>
>>2501815
BBC in your asspussy
>>
>>2499913
Where else are you going to get fruit, nuts, veggies, lentils, etc? You can only grow so much yourself
>>
>>2498480
Make enough (need not be a shitload but money matters) money that you can buy quality then only buy useful things. There is no way to starve yourself to prosperity OTOH many economic options require some capital.

Don't waste money on anything useless. View tools as the best kind of toy. Make every hobby productive and overlapping and complementary to profitable tasks so no hobby time is wasted. Despise everything childish and focus on economic security above all because if your dreams don't make money it's wrong to dream them. Life turns to shit sooner or later so use the good times to prepare yourself.

Mobility is key so learn to rebuild whatever vehicles you depend on. That saves more money than other DIY except home renovation. Computers (not gaming or content consumption) are a useful hobby as any user should be able to build, troubleshoot and load OS and apps as it was in the early days. It's absurdly easy in 2022. Appliance repair, plumbing and electrical all merit serious study because even if you are rich your ignorance can get you ripped off.

Human society is inherently interdependent. The wise goal is to reduce immediate dependence on others and become highly capable at skills you and others rightly value.
If you can fix most of your own problems that frees more of your wealth which gives you more choices. Know the most USEFUL (not autspergic and force yourself to admit the difference) things to do then do them. Increasing independence means making smart decisions and leading a planned life. Spontaneity is the mark of an idiot.
>>
>>2501919
Spontaneity is for black people
>>
>>2498893
Then it’s perfect…..go find your lap dog bitch
>>
File: image.jpg (3.38 MB, 4032x3024)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>2500626
>>2500807
It’s not about the money, it’s the 10 totes of bullshit holiday stuff that sits in the garage the other 10 months,
>>
>>2501699
You do know you can adjust the water level on most toilets? You don't need to put bricks in the cistern to reduce water volume in it.
>>
File: 29_savile_w[1].jpg (129 KB, 1024x576)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>2501879
Half the world eats bugs dipped in seed oils and söy.
>paying for streaming
I already pay for the internet, fuck that shit.
>>2501880
You aint getting my virgin boipucci, Jimmy.
>>
>>2501919
You can't fight the 'tism.
>>2502140
I thought it was about shitting bricks.
>>
File: deliveryService[1].jpg (107 KB, 774x1000)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2498502
>>2502111
Yes. Also make sure to use nice and big labels,facing them right where she pulls her car in. There will be no more conveniently forgetting about last years inflatable $300 frosty the snowman.

>>2498480
Crock pot meals are great. You can make a good variety of dishes and it's cheaper cause you're buying produce from the store to make it. Also faster than cooking (sort of), just throw it in before you go to work and now you have dinner for 1-4 days ready when you get back. The only time you spent was grocery shopping and chopping a few veggies/meat pieces.
>>
>>2501365
cum doesn't mean what you think it means silly porn watching american
>>
>>2501699
what about winter
>>
>>2502111
do you use your pet carrier
>>
>>2502192
In winter we have gas. It's funny, electrical heating and cooling here is stupid expensive, but gas is not so bad.
>>
>>2502320
is there a way to know the amount of heating you'll be getting from x amount of gas
>>
>>2502329
You Mean btus?
>>
>>2502329
Yeah man, like the other guys said you got to look at how much they charge per btu (or THERM) and then figure out how many BTUs you need for your house
>>
>>2498480
Take all your food in the grocery store to the produce section. Put it on the scale and press the button for potatoes. Attach potatoes label to everything over thw barcode. Head to self checkout.
Profit.
>>
>>2501919
>Make every hobby productive and overlapping and complementary to profitable tasks so no hobby time is wasted
this is the perfect way to lose any sort of enjoyment from a hobby. It can also completely cut out things someone may enjoy simple because it's not a profitable skill. I think that would be a terrible way to live.
>>
>>2502111
>It’s not about the money, it’s the 10 totes of bullshit holiday stuff that sits in the garage the other 10 months,
so what, you have just as big (if not bigger) pile of tools and fishing poles
>>
>>2498693
pics of the wife
>>
>>2499606
>6,000 dollars a month (before taxes, after taxes $4,850)
Europoor here. I make almost 10K a month and get less than you after tax.

In one of the most expensive cities in Europe. Fuck me.

Do you still have to pay health insurance on those 4.8K?
>>
>>2502711
You pay taxes for sucking dick?
>>
>>2502111
Checked. Why do you have so many fishing rods though?
>>
>>2501365
>and all the 14 year olds are FBI agents
Are any of them female? Is it still illegal if I try to flirt with them in the hopes I meet the adult women behind the mask?
>>
>>2502711
Its funny when americans compare their taxation without taking into account all the other things they need to pay that we do not.
>>
is it possible to make an autistic library style catalog for things at home
>>
>>2498480
>cheap phone and cheap phone plan
>headlamp
>cold/warm weather clothes
>sleeping bag
>cook food, buy in bulk, cheap beans and rice but get protein in as well
>exercise so you stay healthy and avoid medical costs
>cheap shitty but reliable car, ideally a van/hatchback
>bible

Anything else is probably the a product of the anti-Christ
>>
>>2502758
Kek. The sleeping bag is kino though, bit hard to move around the house in one though.
>>
Yep, same. I might end up living in a van like a gypsy or at a boat like it's waterworld.
>>
>>2500281
take the boatpill anon. unless you dont live near a large lake or the ocean (lmao)
>>
>>2502992
>sea levels rise, your house rises too
based and floatpilled
>>
>>2502992
This is what people who have never lived on a boat say. It actually sucks. One, you will never be truly warm. Two, the rats. Not the rats with wings, seagulls are always an issue, but what they don't tell you is marinas are stuffed with rats, who will get aboard via ropes and get into your shit. Three, they don't tell you about the crime in marinas. Your shit will get yeeted the minute you leave. And that's not getting into the lesser issues, like being woken up by partying, fishermen leaving early, boat horns 24/7, the constant motion, the lack of amenities like good internet, running hot water, and having to have your shit tank sucked out regularly by the marina for whatever they feel like charging you. And the tourists. Jesus god, the tourists.
Been there, tried it, trust me, it sucks.
>>
>>2503028
sounds like a shithole marina. I leave my fishing stuff out all the time and never had anything stolen
>>
>>2503028
also lmao @ boats being affordable
they're holes in the water in which you dump money to keep them floating
you'll end up paying more between marina fees and maintenance and shit than you would in rent on land for the same time period
>>
>>2503031
Nope. Was one of the better marinas on the west coast. A couple of boats were cleaned out, for their TVs and computers and whatever else.
>>
>>2499676
>>2499676
cooking eggs in cast iron is a huge PITA. fuck that shit
>>
>>2503033
Not really. Owning a boat is one thing. But it can be cheaper - it just sucks. A good ballpark is $10 per foot of boat, per month. A lot of marinas tack on $2-300 more for live aboard, and charge for amenities. They also limit how many liveaboards, and you have to apply for it, like an apartment, and have proof of specific kinds of insurance, as well. It will add up to less than an apartment in cities like SF or LA, but it's not cheap. That's why rental live aboards are about the same as rent, the owner is just getting their birth fees and insurance covered, plus profit. Also, marinas limit the number of live aboards, because they don't want a bunch of unwashed incels wandering around moaning about the lack of chicken tendies and cable and leering at the wives and daughter of boat owners, after having a piece of shit boat dragged in that will probably end up sinking in the berth.
Everything in a marina is on a waiting list these days, too. And shocking, they don't want their marinas turning into floating tent cities full of angry incels and neckbeards shouting at each other because they're masturbating to loli porn too loud.
>>
>>2502763
i think they make wearable sleeping bags. unironically.
>>
>>2503077
oh west coast now I get it
>>
>>2502746
American here, fuck insurance and fuck doctors. If you don't know what they're gonna tell you b4 you get there, you're a retard. For example, they'll tell me to stop drinking so much, and eat healthy. Why the fuck would I pay someone to tell me what I already know? Yall are retarded. I wish our system was more free so I could just go and pay a guy in cash at a small business if I did end up needing emergency care or surgery for something cause that'd be Hella cheaper. Instead I'll stick to stitching my own cuts and setting my own bones. Beer is anesthesia and if it's not enough, street drugs are cheap too.
>>
>>2501894

Buy them. They are cheap as fuck.

Apples, banana and berries are all cheap. Veggies are all cheap. Lentils and beans, cheap.
>>
Learn to cook and improvise with whatever food you have. It's a good life skill and you're gonna be broke if you constantly order takeout.
>>
>>2501699
Instant coffee is gross as shit. Just get a french press and buy cheap store-brand beans if you're going to drink coffee daily.
>>
>live with parents so $0 rent and food except for snacks
>have a driving job so work overpays for my gas and mileage so free car work essentially
>made friends with the coworker who holds the costco card and got them to order the starbucks cold brew coffee and redbull (i wanted monster but they said the VP prefers redbull)
>pirate everything
>buy quality stuff and take care of it instead of dollar store clothes which rip whenever you fart
If you want real fugal living look at the neet threads on /jp/
>>
>>2503152
>improvise with whatever food
i can do the cooking part. ie steaming vegetables, rice etc. but how exactly do i go about improvising a meal? is there a guide on how to spice things?
>>
File: 1631653797571.jpg (49 KB, 640x587)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>2498480
Have hobbies that dont require you to buy anything or go anywhere, don't travel, and don't have a girlfriend. It's Great.
>>
>>2503167
>/jp/
They waste all their money on weebshit
>>
>>2503170
Idk of quick guides there are books on cooking theory though which is basically what youre looking for. Generally they're way bigger than they need to be I suggest try to cook thing, if thing goes wrong eat it anyway its still food, ask ck what you did wrong. When ck can't stop telling you you were supposed to cram it in your ass first or you didn't add enough beans or deenz and that you should have just gotten taco bell go to reddit and they'll actually explain shit. Actually skip a lot of middle men just go to reddit
>>
>>2503182
>their money
Wrong it's the government's money :^)
>>
>>2503167
>/jp/
Wait pedophilia is cheap?
>>
>>2503187
>Wait pedophilia is cheap?
As far as crimes go, yes very. And they're put in the same jails as nonviolent offenders for what little time they do spend
t. Alcoholic with a dui pretty pissed off that he was in jail long enough to see them come and go
>>
>>2503187
free if your a neet with a little sister
>>
>>2503226
>long enough to see them come and go
How drunk were you?
>>
>>2503259
.016 bac, for me that's not much I'm probably twice that right now 20 beers deep. How's that relevant though? I wasn't saying in the time to sober up... Nah they were getting between 1 and 3 months
>>
>>2503101
we call them jackets where I'm from.
>>
>>2503166
Coffee in general is cucked and burns out your adrenals giving you a metabolic disorder. Try giving it up for a couple of weeks and you'll realize quickly that you don't need it at all

P. S. Caffeine cold turkey means no (green or black) tea, no cocoa or chocolate either. All that shit is stims, like Ritalin, it's not benign man.
>>
If you're a sugar addicted coward such as myself who can't seem to kick sugary drinks I recommend getting gatorade in the powder. You can get a tub for like 10 bucks and it makes 9 GALLONS. I'm kicking myself for ever buying gatorade in any other way. You can use with bottled water (buy a cheap funnel from walmart) to enjoy on the go, or ideally if you already have a bottle you can do it that way as well.
>>
>>2503084
The thing is that eventually this will also get outlawed or regulated to death. It's not like they can't build decent and cheap apartment buildings on land. They don't want to. The idea is to make sure that the average person gives half their earnings to a landlord, thus working half their life for them.

In some places the whole housing market situation has gotten so dire that it would make financial sense to buy a cruise ship and convert it to permanent rentable apartments, and I'd be cheaper than living on land purely because you can get around lobbying, but I bet they'd make it illegal instantly.
>>
>>2500793
Hopefully your fiancée can breastfeed or pump my guy. Formula is stupid expensive. Kids actually aren't too expensive for the first few years (assuming she's a stay at home mom and you dont need her to go back to work too fast.)

I'm dreading daycare and schooling expenses more than anything.

t. have 1 year old son with a baby girl due in february/March. Gf stays at home. luckily she had a good savings so she could do that, but the pressure is ramping up financially.
>>
>>2498948
facts, I have a buddy who's like two years older than me. he makes basically the same money as me but is broke all the time
they literally suck it out of you
>>
>>2498954
women don't play video games because they don't understand accomplishments and adventure.
>>
>>2503347
Oh no, a faster metabolism, woe...
>>
File: 1668210145503064.png (1.8 MB, 1384x2086)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
>>2503425
>>
>>2500434
Lol. My brother has so far spent less than $100 on his one year old kid not including the hospital bills. Get baby clothes from the thrift store, have your wife stay home to watch the kid instead of using daycare (if you want your wife to work a job instead just remember most of that money will go to daycare anyways), improvise toys for your kid instead of buying all that fancy plastic shit, and finally DO NOT feed formula if possible. Breastfeeding is not only healthier for the kid but also releases happy chemicals for the mother and helps burn off calories from pregnancy weight.
>>
>>2498480
Ways to save money? By simply not spending it you will save money.
Learn to live with what you have and learn to discern between what you want and what you need.
Do you need a lot of clothes?
Do you need to have cable?
Do you really need to watch television?
Do you really need the latest cell phone?
Would you be more productive at home if you didn’t have internet?
Ask yourself what you really need bare bones and then start from there.
Women in general are more affected by social pressure and as such they will want to live like their friends do on the “stories” they post they have a real need to emulate and do what everyone else is doing they imprint onto themselves what the latest celeb does as living and anything else is being cheap. So if you want to have an independent life you will basically be single all your life or you can find a woman who wants to live a simpler life.
>>
>>2499218
yes a lot of electricians and HVAC who think 35$ an hour warrants a $600 new truck payment, $1200 mortgage, $120 phone plan , $100 internet plan after getting taxed 30% in Canadaland.

Kiss $800 (yes $800 in Canada) goodbye for groceries and another $200 for electricity and if youre lucky another $200 for heat/gasoline

35$/hour comes out to about $700 bucks for these guys at the end of the month.
>>
>>2498897
>>2498947
>>2499263
>>2499265
>>2499869
>>2499870
>>2502083
>responding to blatant bait like a retard
thank you for you service
>>
>>2503347
Up until Friday I would have called you crazy or zealot. But my thyroid is somehow messed up and after realizing it I went to a doctor who gave me blood work to do. The blood work requires that I be without sugar, caffeine, alcohol and cheese.
The last cup of coffee I had was Friday morning, I still have headaches today. One of my complaints to the doctor has disappeared since stopping caffeine. My anxiety is much better like it doesn’t exist. I feel calmer and with more mental clarity. And it hasn’t even been a week I think I will continue abstaining from coffee after the tests which will also make it easier to abstain from sugar. No way I’m quitting cheese fuck that.
In short you should listen to him and try quitting caffeine for a while.
>>
>>2498480
Meal prep and stop drinking. These two dumb things will change your life.
>>
>>2503347
i lowered my caffine intake to a 8oz cup of coffee in the morning... if i want more i just drink decaf which has very little caffine
>>
>>2503497
>Would you be more productive at home if you didn’t have internet?
lol
>>
>>2503438
It doesn't make your metabolism faster dipshit. It makes it slower and shittier. It makes you fat.
>>
>>2503889
OK
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/four-cups-of-coffee-modest-loss-of-body-fat/
>>
>>2503901
You don’t understand how right he is.
Coffee is big business and as such there are thousands of studies proving it’s benefits all funded by coffee companies.
The reality is more complex. If you truly want to understand how coffee affects you you will quit at a minimum for three months.
>>
>Dude just trust me
>>
>>2503901
>"The study did yield an unexpected result: Drinking coffee was associated with a modest loss of body fat."
doing stimulant drugs which suppress apetite led to weight loss..... and that's a surprising result to them

I want to pitch a new miracle weight loss drug to them called 'crystal meth'
>>
>>2503785
Are you a saying you are just as productive with an internet connection at home?
Aren’t you on 4chan right now?
Do you not watch porn online?
>>
>>2503949
But then I wouldn't be able to read your wonderful posts
>>
>>2503901
>short term acute modest weight loss
How about the long term impact on the hormonal system? How's their thyroid function? How's their insulin resistance?
>>
>>2504038
I bet you can't find a single article definitively showing caffeine negatively impacts those things
>>
>>2504048
I bet you can't find a single article showing it doesn't
>>
>>2504048
https://hormonesbalance.com/articles/11-ways-coffee-impacts-your-thyroid/
>>
>>2498944
>>tfw a poorly performing coworker tells you about their investment plans which are clearly some influencer’s picks and thinks that you will believe they are smart for it
This. But it's my manager.
>>
>>2498502
She means she hates your clutter. Her shit is "cute"
>>
>>2499844
Jail requires you to endure unpleasant conditions for years, kill yourself just means you have to endure them until you OD or bleed out.
>>
>>2499844
>get raped daily by drugged out thugs
>save money on rent
Gee, great idea.
>>
>>2499844
This is one of my favourite onion videos
https://youtu.be/D04wb7P_v-4
>>
>eat breakfast at hotel chains that offer complimentary breakfast
>eat lunch and dinner at hotel reataurants
>tell the waiter to charge the meal to a random room
>leave before the payment goes through
>>
>>2504373
They're probably not going to say anything about you stepping in and eating breakfast, they throw it away anyway. But if you order meals on somebody else's tab, that's legit theft and they have you on camera.
>>
>>2504295
>Jail requires you to endure unpleasant conditions for years,
No, no it doesn't. Worst part of jail is financial your bills don't stop. It's actually super comfy you just read books in a nice comfy blanket most of the time jokes with the other inmates the stay itself is not bad. However not making money for 4 months while the bills keep up the pace sucks hard dick.

t. Been to jail, 4 months for a dui when I brake checked a cop.
>>
>>2504439
So were you under the influence or just couldn’t afford a lawyer?
What was the outcome of your case?
>>
>>2498480
insualtion
lower celing (reduce room volume to heat/cool)
wear thick shit in winter when home
wood burner
hunt for reclaimed wood to burn
flip shit on ebay/local classified
bonus tip: PV array with storage, especially if you can get a tax credit for it
>>
>>2498480
keep indoor temp at 18-19 Celsius. It's a temperature that the heating can keep up easier than the ones higher because (brick) houses in moderate (4 season) climate can keep up being around 18 degree with minimum heating, while it consumes way more above 19 C.
Cook for yourself. Buy seasonal (whole) veggies and fruits, and whole chicken instead of parts of chicken. (From a whole chicken you can separate a big chicken breast, pair of thighs and wings, and you still have the leftover bones etc. for soup.)
Only buy new things if the old ones are broken or if you absolutely need.
>>
>>2504447
>.
I'm guessing guilty and 4 months in jail.
>>
>>2504447
I was indeed guilty af. I was only actually sentenced to 2 days or a week or something though to be completely honest, but I was on probation so probation can kinda keep you as long as they want. Still, the fact that pedos go to county and never have to see actual prison is pretty fucked up imo and I think most people agree with me. Save the pedos and apparently our politicians. Maybe there's an overlap there who knows.
>>
>>2504859
>>2504447
Shit this was a while ago ignore the pedo stuff for some reason (I'm drunk) I thought this was a different thread where I also referenced my stay in jail. Obviously pedos was a subject in that thread. Anyway outcome was outpatient care for 6 months? Something like that was a long time ago, community service, and lost my license for 6 months, then 6 months with a breathalyzer. Probably could have been worse but the cop actually liked me for some reason. (he thought i was hilarious, especially when he asked me to exit the vehicle and an open beer fell out when I opened the door since I stored it there so the cop wouldn't see it, then refused to admit it was mine)
>>
Track your shit. Treat your life like a business.
>>
>>2499844
what happens when I run out of money and still have debt while in jail for life? Forced labor?
>>
>>2504972
Have you ever heard of bankruptcy
>>
>>2504865
Lol that’s funny. I’m glad you got better. Would love to see pictures of the breathalyzer ignition you had.
>>
Penny expander here. Not owning a vehicle is a big money save. Find a living space within walking distance to work and all necessities. Invest in a bike or electric scooter if it's suitable to your area. I happen to live right up the road from a dollar store so that's helped with a lot of little random things. Get all furniture/appliances second hand locally. Craigslist seems to be full of people trying to make a buck but I've found a lot of stuff for next to nothing (if not nothing) on Facebook Marketplace. Make friends with someone with a pickup truck. Cook crockpot meals and make several servings at a time so you can heat up leftovers on subsequent days. Walmart has the cheapest groceries I've found. For clothes, I buy jeans on eBay; can get a good fitting and looking lightly used pair for $20 or less even if you're picky like me if you put the time into it. If you don't care so much how you look it'll be real easy. I just wear one pair of jeans until they wear through and then replace them. For shirts I dig through the clearance racks at Kohl's. My local store always has several large racks full of clearance items. It's like its own section of the store. Kohl's always has some 15-20% off coupon active at any time; just look it up online and they'll scan it off your phone at the counter. Nothing wrong with thrift stores but I haven't had a lot of luck with my local ones. That's all that comes to mind at the moment. When I need something that isn't food it's mostly a matter of recognizing where to look for it: Amazon, eBay, Marketplace, Walmart, etc.
>>
>>2498693
>kitchen appliances in the bedroom
wtf dude, kinky
>>
>>2504315
>>get raped daily by drugged out thugs

I mean, that's what happens when you pay rent or buy property. You just suffer it physically instead of metaphorically
>>
>>2502711
>Do you still have to pay health insurance on those 4.8K?
My health insurance is through my employer and it's like 20 dollars a month. But I work in healthcare so that's not normal. Normally it's about 100-150 a month for a single dude
>>
File: really (2).jpg (157 KB, 944x716)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>2504967
>venmo
>gifts
>>
>>2498480
the only problems are
>no end table meaning nowhere to put food/drinks except the floor where they will spill someday
>no other chairs if you want to have company over (although hopefully he has some camping chairs or something in storage he could bring out)
>>2498486
Same with this except he also needs a more comfy chair. I'm assuming he just moved though and doesn't have his real chair yet.
>>
>>2504290
>>2498480
>>2498486
>>2498502
Anybody have that r*ddit post about the guy's wife turning his comfy TV/exercise room into a cringy pub all so she could show off how sophisticated she was on social media?
>>
>>2498486
any idea where this apartment would be? i'd kill for view like that under 300k
>>
>>2498910
Soda is one of the absolute best calorie per dollar values. A two liter bottle of soda, which you can easily find for $1-2, is around 800 calories.
>>
>>2506847
Yes because MORE calories is what most people, especially poor people, need.
>>
>>2504967
Cringe
>>
>>2498480
Never buy new dishes.
Thrift store dishes are better and 1/20th the price.
Thrift store pots and pans are also a fraction of the new price.

Find a discount salvage store near you. They sell things at up to 90% off MSRP. Lots of expired food and hygiene products.
Use your judgement on what is safe and what isn't. Coffee and cereal are good starter items. A 48 ounce can of premium-brand coffee can be a dollar at such places.
>>
>>2504967
Software name?
>>
>>2498480
Have a large house.
Your extended family will want to fill it with all the random stuff they don't want it any more. Every time they buy a new sofa they'll call you asking if you want the old one. When they move they'll give you their old entertainment center.

>but anon, wouldn't the same be equally said for a smaller house?
Maybe logically, but people don't think logically. They think people with small homes "don't have any more room". Never mind that they would make room.
They see your big house and think it makes a difference and you become the first person they call.
They'll also give you bags of clothes, towels, sheets, blankets, etc. Dishes, kitchen appliances, maybe even a washer or dryer
>>
>>2503329
Not the same.
>>
>>2507020
>Thrift store pots and pans are also a fraction of the new price.
Problem is that old steel pans and pots don't work with induction even though those visually looking similar.
>>
>>2498637
>try to get your oil changes professionally done at least once a year so you have a paper trail of service, and go some place where the do a "free 80 point inspection" or whatever,

Lifelong mechanic who avoids lube monkeys like the plague. If they were any good they'd be mechanics and their feelthy paws shall not touch my drain plugs or anything else.

Receipts can be saved for paper trails. Do learn minor than major repairs since vehicles devour money due to labor costs.

If you have one ride, make it utterly reliable and forget enthusiast dreams until not poor, then keep the reliable vehicle and play with something else for he who makes his daily his project is often a pedestrian.

The opinions of non-mechanics are worthless so become one. That is a massive DIY enabler that lasts for life. It's worth it to take a community college auto mechanics course. Once you can wrench your cost of ownership drops like a rock. I keep my trucks at least 20 years and motorcycles for life. My paid-off mortgage and disposable income are massive overhead reducers.

If you buy cheap and pay it off your mandatory overhead is property taxes, easily managed if you're unemployed vs. mortgage payment.
>>
>>2498793
>having a pickup truck or van to pick up free material when the opportunity arises is a great way to save money.

It's saved me tens of thousands over the years. Opportunistic material obtainment saves mad money. For example I got ~ 200ft of used heavy steel I-beam for wiring an old Ford dump truck engine bay. That became my shop foundation which saved me even more money not buying wood for slab forms, and I can and do weld to it.
>>
>>2498956
Make every hobby useful and mutually supporting. Working on vehicles is a real challenge profitable in a real world vs. hiding in cartoons pretending to be an infant. Fiction is a waste of thought.

Choose cost-efficient recipes. There is no shortage and you eat healthy too.
>>
>>2499178
Rice cookers are gold and used appliances dirt cheap.
>>
>>2503513
^Wisdom.

New vehicles are a waste of money on a depreciating asset that ends up in the shredder.
>>
>>2498637
>learn how to do minor repairs on your vehicle.
get an OBD interface cable for your laptop
it will tell you exactly what's wrong with your vehicle
there are 20 videos online for every trouble code
even if you don't want to tackle the big jobs you'll know if the shop is bullshitting you
>>
>>2503949
>Are you a saying you are just as productive with an internet connection at home?

Not him but I am. Most of my time is spent studying technology I either use or plan to. I don't have unproductive interests or want them. My PC is always on so when I need something I immediately research then make an informed choice. I fix, modify and maintain everything I own. 42gjw
>>
>>2507053
^Confirmed

t.mechanic
>>
>>2498713
save even more by building your shipping container out of wooden pallets
>>
>>2498480
-If you have a winter where you live a wood stove is the cheapest option for heating, set the thermostat low and use a small stove to heat to a more comfortable level

-Electricity is slightly cheaper on nights and weekends, so if you're doing something like drying clothes that's the best time

-The USPS has a separate forever stamp for postcards, if you're just sending a check or something small you can get some envelopes that are standard postcard size
>>
>>2498893
>>2499263
>>
>>2498480

Buy community coffee when it's up to 30% off.

Buy pantry staples in bulk. Evaporated milk (for oatmeal/mac and cheese), Dried or Canned Beans/Refried beans (particularly store brand), Cream of wheat, Bumble Bee tuna pouches, and especially sardines and oysters from trader Joe's (I eat about 3 sardines and 4 oysters about one or two days of the week when I can, so I need about 30 boneless with olive oil and 40 oyster cans).

Buy barilla pasta online in bulk. Buy meat off of wild fork foods. Buy whey protein when you can, or buy it off of this site that's also hosted by the Golden One on YouTube:

https://www.jotunheimnutrition.com/

Also, women, when you get a chance, eat your yams or eat wild yam root powder (or mix it with protein powder).
>>
>>2507063
>if you're just sending a check
Wtf are checks still used somewhere? I have never seen one in my life.
>>
>>2507037
There are plenty of new design pots and pans in thrift stores these days. Still for a fraction of the new or ebay price.
>>
File: 6438428351383.jpg (288 KB, 4320x3072)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>2507119
When I moved on my own, I got like 10 of these steel pots from a friend. One of them worked, all others are refused by the stove (beep beep beep) or don't heat up. It must be the material inside since bottom since when I bought new, visually similar induction compatible pots, all worked perfectly.

I still need a large pot so if you have any tips for spotting ones which are compatible with induction please tell me. I checked my current pots and none have the induction compability embossed or printed
>>
Biggest number one tip is cheap housing/rent/shelter.

If you have consistent income with super low expenses due to not spending a lot on housing, then unless you are really dumb with your money it's easy to save up tons of it.

Like I went from renting a room for $300 a month
To living in a storage room of a dojo for $260 a month
To now I am moving into a large RV on a friends property and will have to pay $50-$100 a month for utilities.

I have savings account, investment account, retirement plains, and a bit of gold and silver.
Plus the few items I do buy I can get top of the line stuff to make it worth the space.
And best of all I still have money left over to regularly adventure, go to events, and in general have fun.
>>
>>2507188
So much this and you can do it throughout life with some planning. Living beneath your means gives you the freedom and security of greater savings and disposable income.
>>
>>2507196
Wtf guys, even if you are some shitty fast food worker it's like two workdays max for 200. Just get a better job and you don't need to live at friends property to save cash
>>
File: firstdive.jpg (1.81 MB, 2016x1512)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>2500652
I'm actually interested but the link is not working.
You are also posting on other imageboards about your racoonllife, do you?
I tried dumpster diving for the first time a few weeks ago and got about 30 bags of prremium crisps and some milk.
To easy to be true.
>>
>>2500652
>Could tell you stories of how I found 200 pounds of Kinder chocolate
Yes https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61041760
>>
File: bikecuck.jpg (19 KB, 297x302)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2507228
>Enjoy your salmonella
>>
>>2498893
>Woman here.
you will never be a woman, tranny.
>>
>>2507219
>https://discord.gg/chFXyT2y

here you go mate. Splendid dive.
Yeah I shitpost on out&k too.
>>2507228
Neither the same batch nor from the same factory.
>>2507236
yeah I ate 30 pounds and feel great lol
>>
>>2501879
Nigger you can get YT with out adds.
>>
>>2502711
>>2502746
Lol pay 96$ / M for full health insurance
>>
>>2504967
You broke ass motherfucker
>>
File: q9oiccbo5a361.jpg (182 KB, 1242x1530)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>2506817
yep, that shit is soul crushing
granted, video games are for manchildren, but if i was at the point where my "social life" boiled down to inviting my friends to sit in a fake bar in my own home house and getting drunk while watching tv, i would walk out into traffic
>>
>>2508272
Don't forget that all your friends are now drunk eyeballing your wife who is clearly in charge
>>
File: dcbey7kgx10a1.jpg (40 KB, 640x301)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2498480
Act in self defense against theft by the state (tax) by not declaring income and priotize cash transactions. Buy gold to prevent the state from defrauding your savings (inflation) or knowing how much assets you have.
>>
>>2508361
Also if your rural enough and have enough acres hunt animals on your land for meat. Don't buy tags or advertise to the state. They steal enough from you.

Churn credit card sign up bonuses. The rewards not considered income and they don't send 1099 like bank bonuses.
>>
>>2499676
>Baking Soda as a fire extinguisher
this is a really, really bad way to save money.
>>
>>2500491
no you got the right one
>>
>>2500655

I'm nearly 40.

I've seen A LOT of marriages and divorces. In all my years I have seen 2 happy marriages. 2. And in those cases they did find good women who loved them no matter what.

But that's like 2 out of 100.
>>
>>2508384
Selection bias: you might attach yourself to groups of people that are bad at marriage.
>>
>>2508272
God that's depressing
>>
>>2508361
Based alcoholic lowlife.
>>
>>2508411
Are you lost? Do you recognize where you're posting?
>>
>>2502711
>Do you still have to pay health insurance on those 4.8K
Remember that you have to pay deductibles (minimum amounts before insurance will pay out). How much depends on how good your insurance is. Regardless, high earning Americans will usually take home more than Euros making the same salary, unless you live in San Francisco, or New York and pay 3-4k a month in rent. The main downside of this is that if you ever become a poorfag, you’re fucked, and we have fewer public systems like high speed rail.

>>2503118
>I wish our system was more free so I could just go and pay a guy in cash at a small business if I did end up needing emergency care or surgery for something cause that'd be Hella cheaper.
That’s called a private practice, retard.
>>
>>2508272
I like darts and the new color profile, at least it's not all-grayscale live love laugh shit. But it looks like there's nowhere to get comfortable there. Where did the comfy chairs go? Just keep those and put a table that's low enough that you can put your feet over it as well as your drink.
>>
>>2498897
>nobody cares
>nine replies so far
>>
>>2498480
See some free shit on the roadside? Take it! Fix it and either keep it for your own use or sell that shit people will buy anything if you upsell enough
>>
>>2509765
she obviously resented that he would spend time not with her in the basement comfortably watching tv shows and working on his bod. remove all that shit, can't have that.
now all he can do is sit on an uncomfortable chair at a tall table and crane his neck 90 degrees to watch shitty shows like ozark with her over some microwaved american cheese on top of chips as her idea of "pub food" before going back upstairs to work on the chore list she has for him.
>>
>>2507181
>I still need a large pot so if you have any tips for spotting ones which are compatible with induction please tell me.
Just go to the store that supplies businesses.
Or the one that deal in second-hand restaurant stuff.

>>2498480
1. Own property you live in or have the passive income to alleviate the rent.
2. Buy only produce you can possibly make yourself, given tools and time.
3. Cook it yourself. One time a week is for autists. Do two 3-day batches a week and a 'whatever goes' day.
4. Walk a lot, specially if it's sunny.
5. Manage you schedule so that you usually almost awake just before the alarm rings.
6. Try to own more assets that are used by people every day.
>>
>>2509962
>1. Own property you live in or have the passive income to alleviate the rent.
"Dude just have money"
>>
>>2498480
your question contains the answer
answer: save money and live more independently
>>
How about quail and rabbits?
>>
>>2499257
I know how to do these things, my only current issue with this kind of stuff is being able to actually put something in a course of an action.

I do Mariachi, Mechanic, Studies and work here and there but I'm constantly told that if I cut down on one or another thing I could make more money or shit, even more progress but I truly have been working on these kinds of things for over years. I've managed but also don't live that happily alone. What can I do?
>>
>>2510000
Not money, anon. Property or assets.
Without them you will never be independent.
Having enough passive income to pay off your phone or utilities is a great start.
>>
Don't spend more than 30% of income on living expenses. live small it you must. It really is all you can afford even if you don't know it.
Don't spend more than 20% of income beyond that.
Keep a good eye out for money making schemes with the remainder. Count gains towards your income and apply the same logic as above.
You will soon enough find yourself living the life you want with spare cash to burn.

/DIY/ everything you sensibly can
Don't pay for TV
Use a library
Turn your heat down
Take up an active hobby like cycling, running, swimming, climbing
Play computer games, they're cheaper than going out
>>
>>2510190
right of course, property or assets acquired without money, got it
>>
>>2502111
oh yeah that's the wifes bullshit right there
>>
>>2498893
>I can easily tell the type of person this guy is
No you can't. Only women are constantly trying to express their identities through what they buy and how the decorate.
>>
>>2510667
So do "men".
>>
>>2510678
Only reddit soi consoomer men, in other words, women.
>>
>>2510690
Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge
>>
>>2510696
For me it's Toyota
>>
>>2510667
Thinkpad threads show this is a lie.
>>
>>2499762
where I live renting is more expensive rhan a mortgage, but getting a sufficient mortgage is impossible, fml
>>
>>2510772
So do what I did and leave the high cost area as part of your methodically planned life.
>>
>>2508272
I always liked the chairs that have a great view of a faux brick wall
>>
>>2498480
Small answer
Don't buy shit you don't need or you can diy
Find a place where rent is low and settle there
Find work near home so you don't need to use cars
Do discount shopping
You only need a phone to stay in touch with the world (maybe a laptop)
Spend free time outside etc
Don't bother about hot weather you'll eventually adapt to it
In colder weathers use cheap heaters that people throw out and repair them
>>
>>2498502
Update:

Xmas stuff is coming out now. 5 totes plus the Xmas tree.

So with all the new fall-halloween-thanksgiving shit, there was one fall bin that came out in September, and now there’s 2 fall bins coming back into the garage. Dammit.
>>
>>2498480
make a list of ONLY the necessary stuff like food, water, soap, electricity, etc.
what gets measured gets managed
>>
>>2507181
Get a magnet. Even the refrigerator clip-thingies are fine. If it sticks to the bottom of the pot, you are fine. If not, then it won't work with induction.
>>
>>2498793
>truck
I have a 2006 Scion with a Harbor Freight 4'x8' folding trailer. Trailer , hitch, and wiring kit cost me $700. Cash. I do trash runs in my overly-affluent suburban utopia and live off the discards. I laugh at my idiot stupid-dad neighbors with their $50k kiddie-hauler trucks.
>>
File: 0097d055.jpg (54 KB, 352x500)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20221127_101213.jpg (2.86 MB, 2736x3648)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
>>2501894
I've got 17 trees in the ground, here's apricots and peaches I'm working on growing this winter. In the next 3-5 years I'll basically have no need to buy fruits/veg
>>
>>2511160
This.
Small hatchback with a compact trailer is peak frugality. I get 40mpg, get easily in all parking spots and still can haul a half ton of shit while not needing to lift stuff over a feet or worrying about dirtying/damaging the car.
My trailer was made in the early sixties. Got it for free when an old guy passed away. 40 bucks worth of repairs and 180 for the hitch+ wiring. Took 3h.
On the occasions where I need to haul bigger stuff, I simply borrow a bigger trailer of a family member.
>>
>>2511442
Not owning a car is peak frugality
>>
>>2499178
Ok you’re gonna have to fill me in on where you’re getting internet for $8 a month. Is it dial up? Wtf?
>>
>>2503949
most people's productivity necessitates an internet connection in some capacity. we're not all chopping wood on a successful day
>>
File: IMG_20221128_223041.jpg (3.73 MB, 4080x3072)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
>>2511456
You're right. Should have said that this is the most frugal path to car ownership.
Costwise bike>>>car.

Looks like I'm not going to buy honey for some time...
>>
>>2498913
BS, I've spent thousands on getting different certifications, they have all been absolutely fucking useless so far. I wish I just joined the air force at 18 instead now
>>
>>2511708
Is that from Edeka?
>>
>>2509727
I think Anon meant "free" as "let me do what I want with my own money without interference from the state"
>>
>>2511742
No. In this case it was from an Aldi.
As always: could have taken more and chicken feed not pictured
>>
>>2500076

the fuck is this chart even supposed to say? is the x axis time or energy? where are the years?
>>
Sorry to all men in here but after a stay in the psych hospital I can't stand minimalism. I need decorations everywhere or else the place feels like a prison. I don't understand how people can live in boring, spartan pods.
>>
>>2511708
i wouldn't touch that bread and honey with a stick
>>
>>2499178
>tfw canadian
>>
>>2499913
>buying a home at the wrong time in an economic cycle
there hasn't been a good time to buy a home in decades.
>>
>>2500477
>cant bring gun vs can bring gun
only faggots worry about this.
>>
>>2501699
>>No subscriptions except Netflix
>>Use library to rent DVDs instead of paying to rent
are you retarded?
>>
>>2509962
>1. Own property you live in
Nearly impossible in this economy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.