[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 81 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: post-rot.jpg (30 KB, 450x275)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>rated for ground-contact use
>immediately rots anyway
Is there a bigger scam?
>>
>>2469530
Yeah, 30-year rated shingle, can barely make it to 20 years. What the fuck is the problem with roofers?
>>
>>2469530
I hate fences, moved into my first house didn't even look much at the fence, it's all 25 year old rotten shit I've had to replace so much of it
>>
>>2469530
The end grain is the worst. Once it starts wicking, it seems like it's only a matter of time.
>>
>>2469530
Were these set in concrete? It causes them to rot 10x faster
>>
>>2469530
>falling for it
that's the real meme
>>
>>2469530
>not getting an aluminum fence in this day and age
sheesh do boomers be really like this though no cap? You retards don't build shit to last then complain about it, damn.
>>
>>2469543
Some of us want to sell our house at some point
>>
>>2469549
so you do the shittiest work to barely slide by until the check clears when you sell the hunk of shit?
>>
>>2469551
Previous owner fucked me and now I fuck the next retard who is paying now a million dollars for a 35 year old middle of the row townhouse
>>
>>2469549
Yeah who would want a house with a fence like this, eugh YUCK
>>
>>2469557
you suck, mr. bucket crab
>>
File: 1663265690501208.gif (1.43 MB, 360x238)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB GIF
Anon my boy you never put wood directly in the ground. Always put some concrete down and set your treated lumber on that. While I chug this ol dart.
>>
File: images (3).png (23 KB, 468x655)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>2469592
>Anon my boy you never put wood directly in the ground.
>>
>>2469530
Used motor oil mixed with diesel or charred wood
>>
Jews enforcing material/building codes
>>
>>2469530
>Is there a bigger scam?

when these technologies were first deployed, they used things like old growth redwood that was hundreds of years old. That kind of wood is basically rot proof and will last 50+ years without any treatment. Dumb boomers just assumed their magic petro-chemical concoctions were the key and not the fact that they used a very valuable and non-replenishable resource. Its kinda like how they assumed all that vaccine poison they injected into themselves cured all their childhood diseaes and not because our society went from having no sanitation to modern sanitation. Oh wow, you arent getting water-born illness anymore now that your kids stopped playing in a shit filled gutter? And all those insect born viral vectors arent spreading disease since they all got wiped out by DDT? Man vaccines sure are awesome!
>>
>>2469632
Meds
>>
>>2469632
>That kind of wood is basically rot proof and will last 50+ years without any treatment

Then why did they use treatment on it? Too retarded to even pretend otherwise.
>>
>>2469603
Retard
>>
>>2469660
It's a joke dummy
>>
>not using picrel
>>
Just char the end before you put it in the ground, won't rot then
>>
>>2469530
It's muttland,
"treated" means untreated
>>
>>2469650
>jewish witch doctor schemes
ftfy
>>
>>2469674
Interesting. Never seen that before.

As someone looking to do a fence soon w/ build, I'll probably end up doing the minimalist dog fence with metal angle posts, with the varied size metal mesh overlays. Woods still too high for the shortened longevity in my seasonal area.
>>
>>2469603
>>2469660
>>2469662
This exchange elicited a hearty chuckle from me. Thanks lads
>>
>>2469530
>>2469540

I wish i knew that last week.
>>
File: gzqyngigk6w41.jpg (1.23 MB, 1440x1637)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>2469603
why DONT we build fences out of trees??
>>
>>2469739
take your fuckin meds

don't compare boomer tradies, who had literally no training other than what 'pappy told them, to scientists and doctors, who literally saved a generation from the horrors of smallpox and polio
>>
>>2469830
Yeah the concrete draws up as it dries, leaving a little micro gap between it and the wood that moisture can just sit in
>>
>>2469866
According to your pic related, we do.
>>2469885
You're incredibly retarded.
>>
>>2469530
BIgger scam

>hello sir my name is george (obvious shit skin accent) I am for today calling you about you are medicaid.
>>
>>2470012
>what'd you say you name was?
>George
>you don't sound like a George
*click*
Every time try it
>>
File: harpo marx.jpg (59 KB, 716x909)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
burn the end that goes in the ground retard
>>
>>2470058
don't do this it burns the wood
>>
>>2470131
>>2470131
no it don't
>>
Just get black locust or Osage orange
>>
File: ybdkp6x1e0g71.jpg (102 KB, 1080x1080)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>2469531
>>
>>2470677
>will you stop talking about your dirty tile if it’s dirty go clean it and if it’s not you can SHUT UP
>>
>>2469866
when is a fence not a fence
when its a hedge
>>
>>2469885
plumbers & engineers saved western civ from polio, not doctors.
Doctors were too busy shoving their cadaver juice'd hands into women as they were giving birth to prevent literally any disease ever. Doctors are still discovering the magic of preemptive action, fucking cuck idiots that they are.
>>
>>2469866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoprVhpOKIk
>>
>>2469530
Because chromated copper arsenate is no longer used as a wood preservative in residential applications.
>>
>>2469530
I have replaced fence posts one by one over the last 7-8 years. Fence was originally built back in 1991. Have done about 6 of probably 20. Absolutely not going to spend money to rebuild the fence. I will just continue to do it piecemeal

>>2469970
ideally, I think you are supposed to place some gravel or sand underneath, but I don't think many people do that.
>>
>>2469561
what the hell are those? are those supposed to be houses? that looks like a prison camp

t. american who doesn't live in a blue state
>>
>>2471082
Ah right that explains it, yes we call them bricks, B-R-I-C-K-S, handy clay building thing we picked up sometime back
>>
>>2469632
The rise in polio rates, as well as other diseases, directly correlates with the rise in sanitation standards in the early 20th century.. Basically we cleaned up our surroundings too well, we were no longer commonly exposed to as many viruses and bacteria as children, and our immune systems went to shit as a result
>>
>>2471097
Yes but now we have this crazy thing called a polio vaccine
>>
>>2471097
>The rise in polio rates, as well as other diseases, directly correlates with the rise in sanitation standards in the early 20th century..
The improvements in sanitation reduced all communicable disease rates. The rise in polio rates in the 20th century was a result of vaccines.
>>
>>2471109
Yeah cool, got a single fact to back that up?
>>
>>2469541
I'm totally doing this in my yard.
>>
>>2471109
Polo rates increased markedly between the late 1800s until the 1950s, when the first polo vaccine was released. Interestingly, during the beginning of the epidemic, affluent white folks were the most affected. They were the first to get better sanitation standards. The poors and blacks were still drinking tainted water and living in dirty conditions. Their children contracted the virus when they were young, which generally only led to mild symptoms, similar to a cold. Once the poor kids recovered, they were immune for life. From then on until the vaccine was released, every place that implemented better sanitation practices saw an increase in debilitating polio cases.
>>
Use a torch and blacken the bottom that goes into the soil. The burnt layer acts as a protective coating.
>>
>>2471093
not op but us trumptards in the flyover states think it’s insane that you’re cool being butted up against people like that. my childhood was spent on 40 acres of lush Ozark hills, seeing another person was unheard of. I can’t imagine being happy with a 1/4 acre of grass and constantly listening to monkeys driving by blasting rap
>>
>>2471152
Just as some people might not enjoy having to drive 50 miles to the nearest restaurant, school, or hospital
>>
I got given some wooden fence posts for free. I don't really like the grain look so I was thinking of cladding them in moisture resistant mdf. Google has turned up nothing, is moisture resistant mdf good for burial and constant wet?
>>
>>2471213
>moisture resistant
>constant wet
no
>>
>>2469530
they took cupric arsenate out of the treating process because some fools were using the treated wood to make raised planters to grow veggies in.

there's 150 year old wooden bridges in the NE USA and in places in Europe that are fine because the wood was treated with cupric arsenate.

the "new" and "safe" treating is basically just a boric acid that's tinted green to fool people into thinking it's still the good ol' copper based wood preservative. It's not.

thankfully you can still but the oil based copper based wood preservative which you can paint onto any wood that's going to be in ground contact. Even better if you get a small barrel and soak the wood in it though.
>>
>>2469530
I seriously need advice on a fence. Heres the situation:
Just moved into a house built by a developer. There was a wood fence previously built by a prior owner, my back neighbor (not part of the development community). The developer raised the grade on my house, making one side of the back fence sink in about 6-8". Its already rotting. Untreated wood, etc. I told the developer to replace it and they said they cant because its not theirs, but theyre responsible for the fence rotting.

Can my back neighbor come after me for a new fence? Or what should I do? This fence wont last a year.
>>
>>2469674
>>2469755
I used these to reseat my fence posts after a tree-removal company ripped out the concrete-anchored posts that were in their way. My soil is very sandy and acidic, so they dont sit as firmly and probably won't last as long as a concrete anchor, but it was 1000x easier than repouring cement.
They are expensive as hell though
>>
>>2471213
>moisture resistant
>MDF
Anon those are basically two opposites. If you don't want wood grain then coat the posts in a thick paint.
>>
>>2469530
>Is there a bigger scam?
Home insurance.
>deductible is per claim
>must have a "professional" look at everything
>appliance replacement based on depreciated value
Few years back I had a lightning strike that fried my washing machine and garage door opener. Opened a claim and the agent told me I needed to have an appliance repairman look at my washer, and a garage door repairman look at my garage door opener. $600 later they told me what I already knew, that the circuit boards were fried. Would have costed an additional $1500 to fix it all. Insurance would have given me exactly $0 because of its depreciated value, and they would have paid out a few hundred above the deductible. I ended up replacing the garage door opener's board myself for $90 and bought a new washer. So I paid hundreds of dollars extra to go through insurance and got nothing in return. Best part is they raised my premium after because I have a claim on record lol.
If you ever want to fuck someone financially just break one of their windows, then keep breaking it after they replace it. They'll never hit the deductible so they'll always have to replace them out of pocket.
>>
>>2470385
Osage orange is so based, its also the best firewood if you have an enclosed burning space like a stove (not great for open fires due to spitting lots of embers), doesnt rot for hundreds of years so you can process a lifetime's worth in advance, and apparently good for making bows supposedly
>>
>>2469561
>muh front yard
wtf is that? why bother? Does the easement really reach 2 ft inside the sidewalk edge?
>>
>>2469632
>old growth redwood
>non-replenishable resource.
wut?
>>
>>2471452
>hundreds of years old
Technically petroleum is a renewable resource if you wait millions of years. Old growth wood doesn't have a quick turnaround time for replenishment. You need not only the time to grow the tree itself but you need to have an established, tree-dense environment so it is limited in how quickly it can grow and becomes a denser, more solid wood as a result.
>>
>>2469530
>treated
it's tritten, my ESL friend
>>
youre supposed to fill around the post with crusher run dont just leave it touching dirt
>>
>>2471308
Add a new post or two beside the old fence, dig hole, concrete etc, brace it to the old fence, call it a day

No the neighbor doesn't owe you a fence because your posts rotted after ignoring a year of water pooling there
>>
>>2469530
My guy its great if your getting payed doing the fencing.

> Charge £3 - £10 per M
>can do +100 M per day
>Rots every 4 years

It's a great hussle
>>
>>2469530
You want to look for creosoted posts for post and rail
>>
>>2471604
500 bucks a day is not enough to run a business on for you and a laborer.....
>>
>>2469530
Treatment doesn't work because they got rid of heavy metals. Wood is trash anyway and only used because it was cheap and a three man crew easily erects homes using it.

Best fence posts are the heavy rerolled railroad rail variety but those aren't as pretty as wood. I've never used synthetic "wood" style fencing but would check into that if I had a customer who cared.
>>
>>2471346
>They are expensive as hell though
I paid $4 for one.
About the same what a bag of cement costs
>>
File: 1664029383864.jpg (484 KB, 2048x2048)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
>>2471766
>$4
Where? Used?
>>
>>2469674
Never seen these either. Is the bottom open to allow water drainage?
>>
whats wrong with a nice simple vinyl fence? A pretty wood fence today is an eyesore tomorrow
>>
>>2472193
vinyl fences are big gay and fragile as fuck
>>
>>2469885
>the doctors who saved us from polio
Bullshit, polio was a reaction to mass overuse of DDT. People were literally told to put chemical pesticides on even the sandwich in little Bobby's lunchbox in those days. Chart the adoption and decline of DDT with rates of polio infection.

And while you're at it, look up the cause of the puerperal fever epidemic, it might make you do a big think about doctors.
>>
File: 5559380252_1b736d1555_b.jpg (219 KB, 681x1023)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>2471109
Polio was due to mass overuse of DDT as part of the sanitation craze. The desire to be more sanitary went too far, and people started going so far as to eat chemical pesticides. This is also why wealthier people were the first to get polio because DDT wasn't cheap at first.
>>
>>2472238
DDT's use as an insecticide wasn't discovered until 1939
There were major polio outbreaks in the 19th century as well as the 20th century after DDT was in use. Where's your correlation?
>>
>>2471893
No, it's for a lag bolt. These are used mostly for mailboxes. I wouldn't build a fence and use this for a post setting
>>
>>2471173
>b-b-but muh Mexican food.
Diy it while watching COBBED.com
>>
>>2469530
There are many different grades of pressure treated lumber, which are appropriate for different things. For anything buried, you'll want UC4C (Ground Contact, Extreme Duty). Lower grades = less retained treatment = less survivable.

If they don't state the treatment level, compare the weight of the lumber to another vendor that does. Lumberyard I worked at years ago always had people bitching that our fence posts where much more expensive than other local places. That was because ours were higher treatment grade, which is why they also weighed 20% more than the competition for the same size.
>>
>>2471452
Second growth and third growth timbers are different from old growth. Not as dense or large etc...
>>
>>2469632
Tropical hardwood still works fine, but I don't know how renewable that shit is. Still available pretty cheaply here.
>>
File: 1659358366091952.gif (235 KB, 249x268)
235 KB
235 KB GIF
>>2471299
bunch of bullshit posts , ONE anon gives you the straight dope AND gets dubs

0 replies

I fucking hate you all (except for based anon of course)
>>
>>2469531
That's why I covered my hole roof with harbory fright tarps to prolong shingle life
>>
>>2469830
Always use rock when putting posts in the ground. That way water can drain away from the wood. The concrete holds the water on the wood.
>>
>>2469531
100year tile. lasts prob 500 years
>>
File: tile.jpg (204 KB, 1920x495)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>2476323
>>
>>2469632
no but back in the day they used much more toxic stuff banned noways. PCP, DDT and Lindane. or creosote.

my grandma has a deck build from spruce wood. it was build in 1970 and it is just starting to rot in a few moist corners.

untreated spruce rots after a year or so outdoors.
>>
>>2470058
Anon OPs huffed enough toxic fumes as ks
>>
>>2469687
Yes they are open.
>>
>>2469530
You can heat treat them, without hazard chemicals that will ruin your vegie garden in the long run.
>>
>>2471097
Yep, the nuttiest thing about that whole era of DDT use is that the general public got the idea that DDT was simply good for them. They used to fog down whole swimming pools full of happy teens and children just to.. give them high doses of DDT I guess
>>
>>2476859
The worst part is that we go overly hard when we don't know the consequences, then won't do a fucking thing after we figure it out
We know better than to spray down our homeland with DDT, but literally millions of lives could be saved in the third world with minimal consequences if we just fogged up their countries too
Instead we give them little plastic nets and hope that's good enough to stop them from getting malaria and dying

"Probably the worst thing that ever happened to malaria in poor nations was its eradication in rich ones."
- some jew

Scientists and politicians are the fucking worst
>>
>>2469531
dude, hose i bought has a 8 year old roof, suppoily good for 25 years. inspector said its fine.
went to clean the gutters, and must have removed 2 buckets worth of rocks coming off the roof tar. is this normal?
>>
>>2476859
>the free market wouldn't allow anything bad to happen
>>
>>2472300
I'd say heavy metal poisoning and other agricultural poisons.
>>
>>2476861
that's a good thing, africans are breeding way too fast
>>
>>2476903
Yea its normal
Shingles don't last 25 years
>>
File: 1645120560093.jpg (120 KB, 725x1024)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>2471097
ok, now explain scarlet fever and typhus

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.