[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_20220806_111000_DRO.jpg (3.02 MB, 3264x1400)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
Anyone in here tried plywood bending?

I think I've got a pretty good workflow
cnc the bottom mold, the middle "rings" and the upper "lid" part
submerge the plywood in water for 4-5 hours
bend it into the bottom part then put the "rings" around it and finish it with pressing in the "lid"
when it dries I remove all the unnecessary parts apply some polyurethane wood glue and press it back together

is there a better way? any tips?
>>
>>2442368
i think you can use warm/hot water to do it faster?
>>
>>2442368
I'll stick to air bending.
>>
is that thing to the left the tub where the plywood is submerged? what are the molds constructed from? what sizes of plywood can you bend to what degree?
>>
File: IMG_20220806_145515_DRO.jpg (2.22 MB, 3264x1400)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>2442372
is it much of a difference?
>>2442405
is this a weeb joke or real technique? I can't tell.
>>2442420
>is that thing to the left the tub where the plywood is submerged?
no
>what are the molds constructed from?
plywood
>what sizes of plywood can you bend to what degree?
this is 3mm plywood at 75mm corner radius.
>>
>>2442368
>Anyone in here tried plywood bending?
Yes
>is there a better way? any tips?
Really depends on the end use and rated mechanical properties.
For structural parts, cold molding the plywood using veneers is preferable and gives you more range of bending and all thexseams can be staggered rather than all meeting at one spot which becomes a weak point without extra support/backing or fancy joinery.
But for a simple box it's probably overkill
One tip that can help when bending wood is to use a high quality fabric softener in your soak or steam water, it helps relax the fibers and lessens the potential for breaking.
Also know your plywood and if possible orient the materials to take advantage of any differences in more/fewer veneers running one way or the other. There are some plywood made for bending that use this principle to allow extreme bending along one axis. Some of them have a core of heavier strips all oriented the same direction with outer veneers oriented to hold them all together in tension.
If you cold mold your own ply parts this method can be advantageous as well, again depending on the end use.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.