[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1541672742735.jpg (78 KB, 500x312)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Treeworkers, foresters, arborists, groundies
>>
>>2438091
so, meth heads
>>
>>2438091
chopping down some 25-30ft shit ass locust trees at a friends place tonight. then having a late cookout and fire after.
ill post my amateur endeavors later
>t. electrician
>>2438108
hurrrrrrrr
sorry you couldnt make it as a tradie of any kind, you fucking absolute loser
>>
was thinking about making a similar thread just to ask a bunch of questions in.
have two tall and wide trees very near my home that need to come down.
how much does the average arborist cost?
could i diy with enough safety equipment?
electric or gas?
>>
>>2438111
1. depends
2. depends
3. depends
>>
>>2438112
yea, i was wondering how i can ask specific questions without doxxing myself
>>
>>2438111
Get yourself a book titled 'To Fell a Tree' by Jeff Jepson. It covers all the basics you need to know about tree felling.

As for saws, definitely gas.
>>
>>2438110
lol if you think tree cutting is a trade then technically anyone who works retail is also a tradesman. retard.
>>
>>2438116
It literally is a trade.
>>
File: 1659205588118.png (70 KB, 886x886)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>2438117
>mows lawns for a living
look at me I'm doing a heckin trade!
>>
>>2438116
>anyone who works retail is also a tradesman. retard.

the internet has various opinions as to what a trade is. ZipRecruiter says this "A trade job generally refers to any job whose duties require advanced training and skills gained through means other than a bachelor’s degree. For example, many jobs in the construction industry, such as plumber or electrician, require you to have significant experience and training before you can work. Experience and training can be gained through on-the-job experience or formal education in the form of an apprenticeship or completing a vocational school training program. Although many skilled labor jobs require manual work, not all trade jobs require significant physical labor. Examples of these include being a pilot, a real estate broker, or dental technician."

If you buy that, then I'd say tree cutters who climb definitely have advanced training and skills. At the end of the day it doesn't matter, because most people don't have the physical abilities to be a tree guy who climbs.
>>
>>2438091
My mom keeps telling me I should take some classes and do this as a side hustle. Is that worth pursuing or should I focus spare time on stuff related to my career?
>>
>>2438111
BC Faller video series on Yutube is based.

I don't trust gravity so I control my falls by wrapping chain around truck as high as I can manage (bad back so pretty much ladder height) then connecting to my winch cable or a long piece of cable with loops on each end (so I can easily disconnect to drive off if tangled) to chain. Snatch blocks and chains or straps let my rig the pull in any direction since I can use vehicles as anchor points too, well out of tree range.

Preload tree modestly with truck, cut to holding wood, drive off and pull tree all the way down. Every tree large enough to fall on a structure should be removed but old people and cunts (of any gender) let them overgrow. It pays to look up if you own a home.
>>
>>2438118
Lawn care can be serious money and as the US gets older there's more business. A Senior Airman I worked with got night shift so he could run his lawn care business and made so much money he didn't re-up and now franchises his business.

Money is freedom.
>>
https://www.worksafebc.com/en/resources/health-safety/books-guides/bc-faller-training-standard/part-1?lang=en
>>
>>2438894
Your mom clearly hates you and/or took out a life insurance policy on you where she's the beneficiary. Tell her you've decided you want to be a coal miner and moonlight as a rodeo clown instead; if she's all for it, run.
>>
>>2438894
Focus on career. Financial security is everything and the idiots who hallucinate otherwise tend to die in poverty.
>>
>>2438091
How do I get a job working in a forest
>>
>>2439542
buy land
cut firewood for sale
>>
>>2438091
The only YT channel for treefags.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GuiltyofTreeson/videos

You're welcome.
>>
>>2438111
>how much does the average arborist cost?
Call and ask. Estimates are free.

>could i diy with enough safety equipment?
Not with anything over 20'. Let the pros do it. You wouldn't know how to use the safetly equipment.

>electric or gas?

Neither. Let the pros decide.
>>
>>2439542
Apply for a state or federal ranger job, or working with them.
>>
Is there any good website of book that I can read to get into cable logging?
I need to construct a small cable line to haul logs up some pretty steep hills, with log weights up to maybe a good ton, so nothing gigantic.
Id like to integrate some way of pulling lateral loads to enable me to "further the reach" of the line without having to setup everything anew.
>>
File: 09d.jpg (25 KB, 600x600)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
I just got a job as a apprentice tree climber. 30.78 for the first six months then jumps to 34.something then jumps again after a year and so on. I just finished day 1 of onboarding and had to watch like 20 videos telling me don't fuck around with power lines. What am I in for besides electrocution? 6'0" 145lbs pretty athletic if that matters.
>>
>>2441895
Are those hourly rates?
>>
>>2441895
Nice bro. How'd you land that? The video series sounds like lame legal BS tho. I'm considering starting my own tree maintenance biz, need to practice climbing a bit more first.
>>
>>2441938
>The video series sounds like lame legal BS tho.
>need to practice climbing a bit more first.

Get life insurance for your family after you inevitably anheroon a power line.
>>
I need a chainsaw. Power shouldn't really matter (biggest tree I'll cut is 1m in diameter and I can just take my time). I'll cut a few treetops and only one bigish tree (see above). What saw should I get? Is used good enough or is it asking for a headache?

Please no pointless "just use hand tools" replies, it needs to be cut piece by piece (arboristically), there are houses in every direction. Just too much bother to do it with hand tools.
>>
>>2442335
Hire a professional.
>>
>>2442335
>biggest tree I'll cut is 1m in diameter and I can just take my time
Thats pretty big for an amateur to fell, I'd consider getting a professional to do that one (or how many you have that are that size), and getting a decent sized used Husqvarna or Stihl to do the processing and to fell the smaller trees.
What do you want to do with the wood after you're done? Firewood, or do you just plan to get it removed.
>>
>>2438110
im this fag
been rained out 2 weekends in a row .... fucking lame ass shit
>>
>>2441909
Yeah it's all union. Pay doubles after 40hrs/wk and they expect you to do 50-60 hrs a week. Pays a lot better than my old mcjob but I feel like my body is going to be thrashed in no time.
>>
>>2442442.
I'll be doing it arboristically, in small chunks so it won't threaten the houses around.
I'm already a trade professional so I know that a professional is just another tard.
>>2442419
And this is a completely useless reply.
>>
>>2442562
Ah ok, I didnt think you were in the field as you asked for advice on buying a chainsaw. In general I´d say, go for the best you can afford, your arms will thank you.
We have a MS291 as a felling and cutting saw, and an older 051AV I repaired as a backup. No complains from my side, though I mainly do the cutting, not much felling.
I hear good things about Husqvarna as well, but havent had any hands-on experience. They seem to be a bit cheaper for the same size/class saw than Stihl.
Used should be ok if you can test-drive it and feel comfortable working on small engines and the saw itself, they usually are pretty simple.
For the big trees you`ll definitely need a 20in bar, a 25in is probably a better choice.

>>2442500
Out of all the tradesmen I know (which is a good amount), the one tree climber/arborist is the healthiest, fittest of the bunch. Late 40s but fit as an athlete. Just be careful and know your limits, you´ll get plenty and varied exercise.
>>
anyone used the Parker brand chainsaws? Bought the top handle but the fucker keeps cutting out when I pull the trigger. The ground saw works like a charm though.
>>
>>2443313
Nope, there's only two brands of chainsaws (Stihl and Husqvarna)
>>
>>2443314
yeah two brands of good ones, this is just a cheapo chainsaw. I'd like a Husqvarna saw though.
>>
>>2443314
>>2443316
I thought Echo has been good for a while now.
>>
>>2443321
There are good saws other than Stihl and Husky but the main concern is sercvicing and parts availability.
>>
Can you guys recommend a good sawmill in the 18ft range? Ideally with 2 phase 240V electric drive motor. The Woodmizer LT15 looks a bit flimsy.
>>
>>2438091
I love cutting trees so much much bros
>>
>>2443346
check if Norwood industries is still making saws.
>>
>>2443417
Im looking at those too, still in the process of figuring out if they ship to the place I need it at. They look a lot better than Woodmizer in construction, at least in my price range.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.