[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: -949441836-260927417.jpg (261 KB, 960x960)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
I been looking for a way to print an image into the back of an Nintendo Switch shell, have seen some examples in Chinese sites but no tutorials or info about how they are made; my objective is to make it look as official as possibe, like an special edition console.
>>
File: hydrodipping.jpg (196 KB, 1200x891)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>2413683
The search term you probably want is "hydro dipping"
Pic related. It's a special water soluble film/sheet that you can print on a regular printer, followed by dissolving the sheet and applying the printed pattern to your part.
Also, no offense, but these kinds of questions are a good fit for the QTDDTOT thread
>>
>>2413683
That's screen printing. You can't afford the machines they use, that use laser cut rubber impression screens. You can half ass it with a screen from a t-shirt printing kit. The guitar pedal crowd is all over that, go watch how they do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyF3kSox8VA
>>
>>2413683
The image you show is made by laser engraving it, then hand painting the go,d bits.
>>
>>2413697
>screen printing
>laser cut rubber impression screens
KEK, I love this site
>>
>>2413683
>Nintendo Switch
grow up you fucking loser
>>
>>2413698
this
laser engrave, apply gold leaf.
If you want multiple colors, engrave multiple times and use colored resin
>>
>>2413696
Hydro dipping might be a good alternative to laser cutters, will look into it and see it if fits my area for the final product, thanks. (Next time it will go to the QTDDTOT)

>>2413697
The design is nothing complex for maybe it could work.

>>2413698
I seriously doubt those are hand painted, since the picture was stolen from aliexpress.
>>
>>2413698
>>2413816
>>2413820
I’m pretty sure it’s:
- Cover in masking tape
- Laser engrave through the masking tape
- Spray paint with gold
- Remove tape
- Engrave rest

There are other lithography methods but this is one that can be done pretty easily at home (or at an engraving shop probably). Cheap desktop cnc could probably do it too if you can adjust it well enough.
>>
>>2413820
>I seriously doubt those are hand painted, since the picture was stolen from aliexpress.
Hand painting etched/engraved or otherwise relieved designs, logos and lettering in things like jewelry, eyeglass frames, award plaques, badges, etc. is super common and an easy to do using a number of methods from brushing it into the grooves and wiping off the excess to using a syringe or drpper to carefully fill the depressions...see 4:07

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8f3ECgxeb4Q
>>
File: mm b.jpg (1.86 MB, 3945x1761)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>2414032
Not that guy but it's mass produced chinkshit, just a colored plastic base with the design printed on top.
>>
>>2413683
a UV printer does what you want.
they are expensive, however.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.