[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 128 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]




File: 8ctuamgbrpy41.png (270 KB, 640x750)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
ITT we bitch about tenants, laws, Section 8, dumb maintenance requests, etc. No renters allowed. This is a safe space for landlords.
>>
Tenant texted me today that Section 8 inspection is happening on 7/1. Otherwise I would've had no idea. Gotta get my smoke/C02 detectors up to code.
>>
>>2413048
Holy shit, $50 for a CO detector? I remember when those were $20
>>
File: 1554545173970.jpg (24 KB, 480x480)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>2413047
/DIY/ is a jew free board, thank you and please leave mr. Shekelberg.
>>
>>2413054
Yeah total ripoff. At least I won't have to replace them again for the next decade.
>>
>>2413048
>interconnected
Expect the tenants to remove those with a crowbar.
>>
>>2413075
I personally hate smoke detectors. Cook bacon once and the whole place is beeping. I'll take them down the next day if she asks. Out of the 4 units, only 1 currently has detectors installed.
>>
>>2413075
shoves folded paper against the discharge switch
nothing personal lord
>>
>>2413057
hear hear
>>
>>2413057
based art
>>
>>2413047
I want to become a slumlord but I'm not sure how to run shit once I buy my first complex. I'm looking at an 8 unit building in a shitty area that's only gonna get worse.
If I buy it, should I undercharge on rent prices just to keep actual families there long-term, or is it more worthwhile to keep up with average rent increases?
I don't want to have to resell the same unit twice a year, so I'm leaning towards attracting families.
>>
>>2413240
I would say if you want long term good tenants then you may have luck starting mid-high and then minimizing yearly increases. People tend to want to stay if they've got a good price locked in.
>>
>>2413240
Just have strict background check requirements if you want to keep the trash out. No felonies of any type. No drug related misdemeanors. No rent debt.
>>
>>2413047
I rent a comercial warehouse that I inherited, 4k/mo but sometimes is a pain in the ass because they don't get paid so I don't get paid, they always keep me updated and pay on time when things go smoothly. The problem is that the place is too far away, so any problems I have to travel, fucking pain in the ass.
I just want to sell the whole fucking thing and invest it somewhere else, but the market where I live sucks right now, I hope I can cash out the whole thing for at least 1.5mi and fuck off from managing real state forever.
>>
File: 1655908055608.png (2.71 MB, 1259x1556)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB PNG
>>2413057
Kill yourself you retarded leftist
And yes you anti-private property cuckolds are leftists.
If you hate landlords and hate capitalism.
>>
>>2413397
kike
>>
>>2413399
LMAO seethe neetsoc
Jews with enslave and genocide you and it's a good thing
>>
>>2413266
So what I am reading is
>waaaah I generally make $4,000 a month passive income waaahh
>>
>>2413266
You sound like an absolute faggot bitch.
>>
boys im gonna be honest, i come from a poor family, didnt go to college, but became an electrician instead. i am looking to buy a duplex for my first property so i can move out of my moms house and still enjoy the landlord lifestyle. i will be monitoring this thread for any nuggets of wisdom you can offer :)
>>
File: 1627051629048.png (360 KB, 512x512)
360 KB
360 KB PNG
the only solution to the current political crisis in the west is to exterminate all the renters, and the landlords.
>>
>>2413468
>renters and landlords
thats a pretty weird way to spell jews
>>
>>2413240
Don't be a slum lord. Get a decent place in a decent neighborhood and rent to decent people.

And charge the standard rate.
>>
>>2413462
This is a good way to go. About the only downside is that some tenants will be knocking on your door late at night about stuff.

A good goal is to live there for a few years and save up for a house that you move into, then rent both units of the duplex.
>>
Not a landlord but a fun story
>Friend is marine veteran
>Has mental problems
>Gets worse gets fired from multiple jobs in a short period of time for angry outbursts
>Gives up and self isolates in room he's renting while draining his savings for a few months
>Goes fucking nutters while isolating
>Has psychotic episodes walking around house smashing walls, holes through floor, beats some appliances and furniture to pieces with a hammer
>Roommate is landlord's son
>Landlord comes to talk to him, they step on to porch
>13-14 yo kid with "staring problem" triggers friend, he chases kid down road
>Gets his rifle out of closet and says he's gonna go find that kids house
>Landlord blocks him at door screaming trying to make him calm down
>After that episode landlord makes his son leave house
>Tells friend he has to go but he wants to help him
>Says he can move out at his own pace no hard eviction date, offers to pay for a storage unit to put his stuff in, call around and try to find some temporary housing
>Friend refuses all of it, tells him to call the police so he can have a shootout with them
>Friend also starts getting crazy paranoia that landlord is lying about trying to help him and actually trying to fuck him over some how
>One day calls me making all kinds of threats about killing his landlord and shooting up a Walmart
>Lol this is silly
>He also called room mate telling him he was going to kill roommates dad
>Roommate recorded phone call
>Convince them to go to police already
>Go and give my statement about him threatening mass violence
>Cops put together a swat team, evacuate neighborhood
>Friend barricades the house and they have a standoff for a few hours
>Negotiator talks him into surrendering peacefully (must've been a damn good negotiator)
>Friend goes to a mental ward
>Landlord says he thinks he'll not have any new tenants for a while
>Lmao
>>
>>2413047
>You mean I can be a type of lord?
>i'ma real estate baron
>muh passive income
>wah why is dealing with people such a hassle
>>
>>2413047
>Be landlord
>Have inherited wealth and privileged life
>Buy houses at speculative prices because banks will give you a blank check
>Overspend and set rent prices astronomically high because you're actually retarded and don't know a bad deal
>Rent price averages raise because slumlords gobble up housing at any price, also causing housing to bubble
>People can't buy homes
>Forced to rent at ever-increasing rates
>Bubble pops, landlords left holding the bag as their "investments" tank
>wagies economically kill slumlords
>>
>>2413258
people who have never managed property actually believe that if you "just" do this it works.
In reality it does not and some of the worst nightmare tenants have impeccable credentials, some of the worst drug addicts develop their life destroying drug habits after moving in or have no related legal history to research before they move in, and quite often the people who become problem tenants with all the rights of possession that affords weren't even in the picture when the original rental agreement was signed and are essentially professional squatters who not only know all the legal loopholes to exploit but may also know and be on good terms with the cops and court personnel who will always err to the side of "tenants rights" even when they were snuck in and used underhanded means to establish a paper trail to claim that the landlord knew they lived there and didn't care.
This is why unlawful detainer paperwork always lists the people on the rental contract + "DOEs" 1-10 or 1-20 to cover people whose occupancy was hidden, who in some cases are invited to live there and claim tents rights after the eviction process begins just to gum up the works and hopefully force delays.
>>
>>2413397
pic but unironically. all capital should be destroyed, public or private.
>>
>>2413566
>all capital should be destroyed, public or private.

Child hands typed this.
>>
im a jew and my father is a landlord
goys mad
>>
File: soon.png (179 KB, 600x900)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>2413569
>>
>>2413566
You're just salty cause you don't own dick
Better luck next life
>>
>>2413570
hitler killed himself
nazis got their shit kicked in
trump lost
the capitol takeover shitshow got btfod
stay losing wigger
>>
>>2413573
based
>hey you know who lost historically hard?
>let's larp as that
>oh noes my ancestry results
>>
>>2413572
HEY. It's rent-to-own.
>>
>>2413573
And you're here doing it FOR FREE!
Another example of how stupid you have to be to believe in communism.
>>
>>2413597
doing what?
im not a communist, those pieces of shit are the same as fascists in my book
check out how many nazis and commies are advocating for the destruction of capital and landlord extermination itt
>>
>>2413397
you can hate jews without being a leftist.
>>
I live in my own apartment, I am here to mock tenants.
>>
File: landlord.png (209 KB, 962x1329)
209 KB
209 KB PNG
>>2413047
>be me 10 years ago
>poorfag but responsible
>renting in hood
>model tenant
>never a day late on rent, clean, take care of apartment, go-to neighbor in my building if something minor breaks because i can /diy/ and fix it right (i have permission to do this too, and if i need parts i just have to get it preapproved and submit receipts)
>water heater goes out
>landlord stalls, then hires a methhead to replace it with an electric tankless that's so undersized it can't even run a standard showerhead at our inlet temperature
>go months without hot water, taking showers at the Y, landlord ignores repeated calls and texts
>finally don't pay rent for the first time in my life
>landlord notices after a couple weeks
>tell him he'll get rent when i get water heater
>new water heater installed next day, i hand over rent check on the spot
fuck landlords
>>
>>2413611
He was just a bum. I often fix things for my tenants same day they report it.
>>
>>2413413
Well it's not passive
>>
>>2413626
can i borrow 200 bucks?
>>
>>2413626
You're complaning that you get paid $4k a month for something like 8 hours of work? Most first-world citizens will only ever make that much money by slaving away at a wagie job for 160+ hours a month, and they don't have any other option, like selling their $1.5M asset.
>>
>>2413637
desu if your asset is worth $1.5M and it only nets you ~50K a year in earnings, then that's what like 3% annually? Seems like an underperforming investment unless you're expecting the value of the thing to rise sharply
>>
>>2413047
>that pic
The problem is that in many places, a "more affordable property" simply does not exist.
This is because housing demand in many places far outstrips supply, meaning you either need a very large amount of capital to buy your own place, or you're stuck paying loads of money every month in rent. It's not helped by very low interest rates, which allow those who already have capital to buy up even more of the housing stock.

The solution is easy: build more housing. Unfortunately, ridiculous zoning laws (e.g. "only single family homes, at least 2200 sq ft"), expensive/slow permitting processes, and restrictive building codes have made it very expensive to build a house.
>>
>>2413532
is your friend alright by now?
i have no idea about neither you nor him nor your relationship, but that whole story drips schadenfreude.
>>
>>2413645
>ridiculous zoning laws (e.g. "only single family homes, at least 2200 sq
What a shame I was so excited to have a bunch of niggers stacked on top of each other in my backyard. Maybe there's too many refugees and immigrants taking up valuable houses for true us citizens
>>
>>2413661
>I was so excited to have a bunch of niggers stacked on top of each other in my backyard
you don't need a permit to have a pile of dead niggers in your backyard
>>
>>2413645
as other anon said, the type-restrictions in those zoning laws (i.e. single family homes only) are the only thing preventing the country being ravaged by commie bloc apartments, 200 sq ft each, built by blackrock which now owns probably half the land in the country, for absolute pennies
>>
>>2413047
>be me
>have a commercial building
>mostly doctors offices in the building, very clean and professional roughly 30,000 sq ft
>homeless getting pretty bad in the neighborhood because California
>during one of my weekly walk abouts of the building I notice crawl space access looks off
>lock is broken
>pull off hatch and peak inside
>I see piles of trash and a few sleeping bags
>fuck
>grab a flashlight and crawl in
>spot used needles
>fuck this
>run to the hardware store to get good knee pads and thick gloves
>start hauling trash out from crawl space
>at least 10 homeless had been sleeping down there, using candles and cook stoves under a wood structure
>over 1000lbs of trash in total.
>now have steel cage around crawl space access.
>>
>>2413645
>The solution is easy: build more housing.
Unfortunately this means that people who can afford to do so make money and commie renttards hatexthat

> ridiculous zoning laws (e.g. "only single family homes, at least 2200 sq ft")
put in place to prevent "rich" people from making money but actually prevent people of modest means from developing an income producing unit, commies don't care as long as the man gets fucked
>expensive/slow permitting process
Cash cow for the state that commies believe is the solution to "oppression" while applauding actual repression of property rights based on the idea that capitalist enterprise is evil and must be punished.

>restrictive building codes have made it very expensive to build a house
>again, a cash cow for the corrupt people whose political power allows them to tailor those rules to their advantage...whether that power comes from bribery, financial support of campaigns, or (very common) actually being a politician or other bureaucrat with a massive conflict of interest when it comes to real estate holdings and land use.
When corrupt building/zoning officials extort landlords and developers, all the pious renttards clap like seals at what they perceive as "justice", then go on to whine some more about how nobody is on their side.
>>
>>2413661
>>2413676
You do realize that there are options besides just cookie-cutter McMansion sprawl and commiebloc apartments?
Look at American towns & suburbs built prior to the 1950s. They have a mix of apartments and houses. They're some of the most desirable places to live in the US now. You literally cannot build neighborhoods like that anymore due to those zoning laws requiring massive lawns, no mixed use, etc.

Plus, there's the whole thing of everyone requiring somewhere to live, and it's literally not physically possible to house everyone in 2500 sq foot homes on quarter-acre lots, and still be within a 30 minute commute of a job.
>>
>>2413654
I haven't talked to him since the incident, which happened very recently. I wanted to go visit him while he was in holding but the first weekday I had a free morning I was told he had already been relocated to a mental health facility about 4 hours away. My friend and I are thinking about driving up to visit him later this year.

I'm not sure what part of it seemed schadenfreude but I didn't really enjoy any of it. I let him crash on my couch when he was homeless two years ago and have been trying to support him and get him on his feet since then and he seemed to be doing good for a few months then just crashed and burned harder than ever before and none of us could really seem to get through to him about how he was fucking up. The signs were there that things weren't good mentally. He worked at a grocery store 2 blocks from the rent house for a while, quit for a better paying job. He absolutely refused to ever step foot inside that grocery store again because he said he didn't want to see the people working there again and opted to drive a few miles to Walmart when he needed things instead, even though he couldn't really afford gas. I don't know where the fuck his head was at.
>>
Has anyone tried renting a room to someone in your personal home? I am building a barndominium thing and was thinking about renting a room to someone I know to cover some of my expenses but I wonder how bad that rabbithole could get. I also drive a truck for my day job so I'm gone a lot, primarily home on weekends so kinda viewing this as free home security. If a druggie cased the place and figured out it's empty 5 days a week it'd be an easy target
>>
>>2413679
I think we're on the same page. I believe that every restriction put on the free market must be carefully considered, because there are always repercussions that can have severe unintended effects.

The interesting thing is that regulations, which leftist do-gooder types love, actually have quite an unequal impact. If a 5000 person company has to hire 1 person to ensure compliance with a set of laws, that's 0.02% of their labor. Literally nothing. If a small business of 7 people has to hire someone, that's over 14% of their labor force.
Same thing happens with houses. A big developer can afford to fuck around with a convoluted and slow permitting/inspection process, but for someone trying to build their own home, that alone can be a large obstacle.

I knew it was bad when my friend told me about how in his area, people are buying up homes and converting them into 4+ units of "long term" AirBnB rentals. I asked myself, if the demand is so high that someone is willing to pay $700/month to live in a fucking bedroom in a house of strangers, then why is nobody building actual apartments there? The answer is that you can't. You either have apartments not allowed by zoning (due to people like the anon above ranting about "stacks of niggers"), or it's so expensive to build them that nobody bothers.
>>
>>2413693
>it's literally not physically possible to house everyone in 2500 sq foot homes on quarter-acre lots

Utterly disingenuous premise, as is the idea that pre 1950 urban planning carefully mixed apartments and single family homes together in suburbs...
suburbs that were never really planned as such until post ww2 in the US, that in many cases were simply outlying areas where people lived because those areas were used for farming and similar non- urban uses.
When rentoids overfilled the cities they moved outward swallowing up properties and buimdi g high density housing while making up bullshit historical revisionist fantasies about what was taken from them by zoning laws, the lack of which in the areas you describe was used to exploit them by filling every nook and cranny with apartments.
Anyway, only commies accept and promote the idea that if some people live in the single family zones described then ALL people must be afforded that lifestyle regardless of their means or needs.
The zoning laws you describe were enacted after the fact of urbanization to prevent high density developments from overtaking all other forms of residential housing, not the other way around.
Yours is simply the butthurt caterwauling of someone having his gibs officially denied.
>>
>>2413566
>pic but unironically. all capital should be destroyed, public or private.
so basically absolute poverty with absolutely zero tools

>>2413603
Hating landlords is by definition a leftist thing.
Whites are the biggest landlords in America. Most landlords are mom and pops who own one property.
National socialists are just socialist faggots.

>>2413645
Based and intelligentpilled
I'm glad you understand how central banking turns this whole thing into a massive scam.

>>2413726
People who advocate for zoning laws and "urban planning" unironically need to be crucified in a public square.
>to prevent high density developments from overtaking all other forms of residential housing
OH NO, CHEAP RENT WHICH ALLOWS MORE UPWARD MOBILITY AND THE ABILITY TO BUY LARGER HOUSING IN THE FUTURE, THE HORROR
>>
>>2413725
Yeah, you get it...it's also ironic that a lot of affordable housing in the US was developed to support industries that were subsequently vilified and driven away from the communities that were literally built around them, leaving them depressed and destitute.
And one of the factors used to promote those efforts was the fact that the factory supplied the housing and charged for it rather than coming into an area and jacking up the market prices for existing locals with imported workers/housing demands the way so many "woke" modern companies have done.
Then when people don't want to work for them because of those costs, they just pack up and move regardless of how it might effect the local economy or the communitys future.
>>
>>2413726
Your ideas are straight up contradictory. You talk about high density housing like it's terrible and must be restricted at every opportunity, but then also say that "only commies accept and promote the idea that if some people live in the single family zones described then ALL people must be afforded that lifestyle regardless of their means or needs."
Well, if there aren't high density developments for "rentoids" to live in, and there aren't enough single family homes (yet they're the only thing allowed to be built), then where the hell do you propose everyone else lives?

>Yours is simply the butthurt caterwauling of someone having his gibs officially denied.
I live in the middle of buttfuck nowhere on a farm. I have no intention of ever moving to the city, but I recognize that locking an entire generation out of affordable housing is causing massive societal issues. Also, you know, a bit of empathy.
>>
Everyone in these threads should watch these videos so you can refute anti-landchad commie/nazi cuckolds easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8XQGEoEpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2CaK39U_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka7dRzqEif8
>>
>>2413738
they should have to work harder
>>
>>2413397
The issue is exploitation. If you got that 700k property from your jewish uncle just for being jewish, who bought it with printed money the Fed Jews gave him,its not capitalism. Its nepotism.

Landlords do not produce things of value unless they build the property. With money they earned, instead of gibs from the state.
>>
>>2413740
Owning land is fine. Everyone should. Exploiting others on it is only fine if we reinstate the aristocracy.

And ban jews from owning land.
>>
>>2413752
>If you got that 700k property from your jewish uncle
You think jews are magic or something
The vast majority of property is not inherited despite what leftists will have you believe.

>Landlords do not produce things of value unless they build the property.
Wrong, providing the capital to build the property or purchase an existing property is obviously creating value.
Savings doesn't doesn't exist.
>>
>>2413760
>Exploiting
Kek you commies never fucking learn
Nobody cares about your retarded whining.
Learn what time preference is. Rent is not exploitation.
>>
>>2413761
>Savings doesn't doesn't exist.
*doesn't magically exist
>>
>>2413763
>>2413761
Back to Israel, Juden.
>>
>>2413765
Kek, the fact that jews make you nazis seethe makes my dick so hard.
You faggots never have any actual argument, it's just pure socialist whining.
>>
>>2413768
>Prints 10 trillion dollars to inflate housing and stock prices
>Pretends this is capitalism

Jew.exe
>>
>>2413769
I actually hate the federal reserve and agree with you
I just hate retarded nazis(who tend to support central banking anyway, kek)
>>
>>2413738
>You talk about high density housing like it's terrible and must be restricted at every opportunity
That is an utterly disingenous mischaracterization of what has been said, that betrays the fact that people like you are given to straight up lying about what people say and believe.
You literally refuse to approach the subject from anything but a zero sum either/or, black/ white paradigm where someone simply saying that high density housing doesn't belong everywhere (just like single family housing doesnt) is an outright declaration that any and all high density housing is "terrible and must be restricted at every opportunity".
You know exactly what you are doing, too, and then whine when your dishonest nature causes people to realize that your ilk don't operate in good faith.
>>
>>2413057
Masterpiece
>>
You guys can probably help me with this. I'm not a landlord but a tenant. Ands it's my first time renting. I took over the house from my roommate as my first place and started my own lease. It seems like the tenant before my roommate had pets in one of the bedrooms, and it smells like God awful cat piss. My landlords s pretty good dude. But is it possible for me to ask him to have the side room steam cleaned or help with the cleaning costs?

I figure he wouldn't like the cat piss smell in his house as much as I don't. I just don't know how to ask without sounding like an entitled dipshit.
>>
>>2413545
>>2413553
I guess it's fitting that people who don't like landlords let them live in their heads rent free.
>>
>>2413865
Villains tend to live rent free in everyones heads anon.
>>
>>2413780
I fully believe if a developer tried to build any high effort good faith multifamily unit near you, you would be at the town hall telling them it 'ruins the character of the neighborhood' or 'increases traffic'.
The housing shortage cannot be solved because of classism. 'fuck off we're full', etc.
>>
>>2413861
>he rented a meth house
>actually thinks the landlord is going to do shit about it
>>
>>2413912
Of course, more affordable housing would cause a drop in demand and lower house prices. It’s bad for home owners.
>>
>>2413057
This
>>
>>2413861

"Hey landlord, it seems like a previous tenant's cat stunk up the side room and it wasn't discovered before I moved in. Can you send someone over to look at it?"

You may have trouble getting him to do anything about it since you didn't notice the problem before you signed the lease. He could say you did it. If he gives you trouble, contact a local tenant's rights organization for advice. It might have been a meth lab, that's the landlord's problem.
>>
>>2413872
More like heros.
Landlords are dark knights.
>>
>>2413865
>rent free
>needs a sekrit sayf spays thred
>dedicates life to being an unlikeable beta.
>i mean villain
>err no a dark knight. yeah, that's the ticket!
sure anon. you go with that.
>>
>>2414321
cope, rent is due.
>>
>>2414321
ok dark knight
>>
>>2414343
oh, no longer *puts on sunglasses* rent-free?
>>
>>2414344
Problem?
>>
File: hjimprkcb9w61.jpg (29 KB, 607x699)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2413397
Theres a difference between being a private home owner and a scarcity driven parasite
Dont lump me in with you faggots
>>
>>2414381
Anti-landlord subhuman leftists unironically need to be slaughtered like the animals they are.
>scarcity driven
Everything is scarcity driven.
Do you hate farmers and restaurants now for profiting off the scarcity of food?
Do you hate people who buy farming equipment and rent it out?
Without landlords there would be about 35% less housing in the usa. This housing was built with the capital and planning of landlords.
It's you parasites and your laws that makes rent so fucking expensive.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>2414384
>>2414381
Literally all that needs to happen is that the barriers preventing homes and medium density housing construction need to be lowered. The rest will work itself out.

The problem is that many people literally cannot see anything beyond "muh home value", and will kick and scream at any new construction. They're willing to inflict a ton of societal damage to ensure their home value rises 200% above inflation.

>>2414116
The idea of a house is an asset which provides you shelter. It should not be a means for you to extort massive profits out of the next generation.
It's hilariously ironic that you'll call someone a "commie", and then admit that you'd use the local government to restrict someone from building on THEIR OWN property.
>>
>>2414384
>muh scarcity driven is a GOOD THING because I as a parasite to the system vote on bills to make it a scarcity so I can further profit!
>New construction? NO WAY!
>>
>>2413240
The only reason to ever do that is to launder money
>>
>>2414384
>restaurants
>profiting
you're adorable
>>
>>2414437
>>muh scarcity driven is a GOOD THING
"Scarcity driven" in this case means there is an incentive to reduce scarcity by providing more goods and services.
A farmer that grows food to people who need to eat is "scarcity driven".
Do you think farmers are exploiting people because people need to eat? What a childish way of thinking of things.
Landlords REDUCE scarcity. If landlords built more units, rents would COME DOWN you absolute retard.

>because I as a parasite
The only parasites are leftists who vote for rent control, zoning, regulations and central banking/money printing.

>to make it a scarcity
kek what?
Landlords are like the number one people against zoning laws and such restrictions.
>>
>>2414460
>Do you think farmers are exploiting people because people need to eat?
uh
Farmers produce and sell food. Landlords, at least in my area, rarely actually build the homes they rent. Not only is your comparison invalid, being that food is a consumable and rented space is not, but landlords generally don't even create the thing they're renting out. They buy it from someone else, take it off the market, and then rent it out to someone else. Us landlords are the ultimate middlemen because our clients don't even get to own the thing they're paying us for.

Also, bears mentioning that I'm not a fan of over-extended government. But only a fool would deregulate renting, zoning, and "money printing".

>reeee you're obv a lefty renter
I own a 30 acre plot that I run a cottage rental business out. Not a lot of patience left in me for modern politics. I like rental laws; they prevent excessive development in my area. I like zoning by-laws; they keep aggregate and resource extraction from destroying the scenic countryside my customers want to enjoy - sight, sound, smell all stay nice and clean with the zoning in effect. I like "regulations" generally because they do things like make illegal the dumping of waste oil. I also like fiat currency because gold coins are heavy.

I don't know if you're larping or wtf you're raving about, but we don't live in the wild west anymore, and it's also not a lifestyle meant to be emulated.
>>
>>2414494
>Landlords, at least in my area, rarely actually build the homes they rent.
So? The capital they accumulated from work plus the money they risk borrowing from a bank builds the rental properties. They wouldn't exist without landlords.
>muh buying existing properties
So? A landlord wanted to sell their property to another landlord. It's like nothing happened at all positive or negative.

>being that food is a consumable and rented space is not
Rented space is slowly being consumed over time and constantly needs maintenance. You point is meaningless though. It's a good on the market, the fact it being consumable vs non-consumable is irrelevant.

>but landlords generally don't even create the thing they're renting out.
They do. Without them, these buildings wouldn't exist because there would be no capital to build them.

>middlemen
Middlemen are good if they increase value. There's nothing inherently wrong with middlemen.

>I'm not a fan of over-extended government. But only a fool would deregulate renting, zoning, and "money printing".
The irony in this statement. These things are what an overextended government is. These are the main problems, you parasite.

>I like rental laws; they prevent excessive development in my area.
Yes, you're an actual parasite who should be hung in the streets.

>I like "regulations" generally because they do things like make illegal the dumping of waste oil.
Regulations don't do that, property rights do.

>I also like fiat currency because gold coins are heavy.
That's not how gold worked at money before you absolute retard, there was gold certificates being traded and a gold standard today would be digital version of that.
>>
>>2414494
NIMBYs are the worst kind of human garbage
>>
>>2414125
>>2413944
I know its not meth for sure. I can actually see the stains outlines on the floor.
>>
>>2414494
>Landlords, at least in my area, rarely actually build the homes they rent.
>landlords generally don't even create the thing they're renting out. They buy it from someone else, take it off the market, and then rent it out to someone else.
Houses don't magically appear out of nowhere, and they don't maintain themselves. If we lived in your glorious utopia where landlording was illegal, the housing supply would shrink, not increase. The poor do not have the capital to purchase homes. Instead of the poor paying monthly to live in the run down but maintained former homes of the wealthier elements of society, they would live in tents and shantys, because that is all the material they can afford to buy at once. Look at the slums of Mexico, Brazil, India, to get an idea of what your utopia would look like for you, you dumb asshole.
>>
Why is it every fucking other rentoid sees every lamdchad as a mister ditcovich? The only time I've seen a bad landlord is when their fucking melaninated and renting out in the hood.
>>
>>2413553
>landlords only lord over the land from inherited wealth
this is the biggest cope
>>
>>2414544
>sees every lamdchad as a mister ditcovich?
Because its objectively true
>>
File: pepe-apu.gif (33 KB, 357x498)
33 KB
33 KB GIF
Hello, new landlord here, like many other landlords, I struggle with incontinence and the ability to pleasure my dom wife. I think it's because she doesn't see what I do as actual work (because it's not, I'm a big fat leech on the system)
but the shitting my pants thing has nothing to do with her. It's just that I constantly soil myself, and 99% of landlords I've talked to fill their britches daily. Weird.

Anyway, during a routine weekly walk-through, I noticed a tenant hung up a picture with 18 gauge nails and I was so enraged that I was seeing red. I immediately left and went home and kicked three holes in my walls.

I don't know what I'm going to do about these 18 gauge nail holes when they leave, not to mention the three holes in MY PERSONAL property.

This a situation where you all typically withhold all the security deposit, right?
>>
>>2414731
Why do rentoid leftist parasites
a) have absolutely no argument whatsoever and can only vomit rage and ignorance
b) make extremely unfunny reddit tier posts
You have to go back.
>>
>>2414731
>leech
35% of the housing stock in the United States was created thanks to landlords
>>
>>2414712
That movies takes place in one of the most rent controlled shitholes in the world, new york
You are only proving our point.
>>
Is there a CHEAP filler that is heavier than sand?
>>
>>2414753
I like how you added structure to your post with so much content it wouldn't have made any sense otherwise
>>
>>2414760
What? Shut up retard.
>>
>>2414763
...is it because I didn't include any a-b-c's? Is that what triggered you?
>>
>>2414755
not true

>>2414753
why do cumlords insist what they do is beneficial and not an economic strain on the economy bolstered by literal jewish bankers to pit cumlords against rentoids?

You fucking suck. Rentoids fucking suck. We're not the enemy tho.
>>
>>2414767
Why are you seething so hard?
>>
>>2414781
>cumlords
kek
Is this your insult now?
In another thread I got called a landcuck.
Yeah bro I'm the cuck, now pay me rent before I fuck your wife.
> economic strain on the economy
How is producing a massive housing supply a drain on the economy.
That other anon was right about 35% housing being created by landlords.
65% of the americans own their own homes. Without landlords, there wouldn't have been capital to produce those 35% of homes. Poor people don't have the capital to produce housing and would rather spend their money on other things or save for a house.
If landlords didn't exist, you would have to buy/build a house outright even if you didn't have the money/weren't financially ready/enjoyed renting more than owning because of the flexibility and lack of responsibility
>literal jewish bankers
Hitler lost.
Jews won.
>>
>>2414787
Enjoy your economic death, desu. You and your children will die penniless because you "invested" in "property"

kek. Do something that matters with your life, otherwise you're bound to be a shitstain on your family tree.

I have no dogs in this fight. I own my home. I just know landlords are about to feel the sharp end of the non-gentile stick.
>>
>>2414790
>I just know landlords are about to feel the sharp end of the non-gentile stick.
You mean a massive housing crash with insanely high interest rates?
I don't disagree with you.
>>
>posts this in /diy/
>nobody making anything other than talk about politics
shit thread and wrong board
>>
>>2414796
Yeah, because we all know landlords suck ass and are a detriment to society and the entire world as a whole.

We won't give them tips because they should be nursing the tips of our penises.
>>
>>2414798
>bootlicking leftist economic illiterate STILL has no argument against landlords while many good pro-landlord argument ITT remain un-debunked

You wastes of life can do nothing but seethe.
Landlords are good actually.
You will never own a home.
>>
>>2414821
>I'm a landlord and I artificially inflate the price of housing
>and that's a GOOD THING
>you will never own a home because I'm a LEECH
huh?
>>
>>2414827
Landlords LOWER the price of housing your fucking idiot lmao
The more rental units there are, the cheaper rent is.
Landlords aren't inflating anything. The home ownership rate had been roughly the same since 1970. We don't have a major change in the number of landlords per capita, yet housing prices have skyrocketed.
Hmmmm, could be it there is another fucking reason why housing is so expensive, like central banking and government intervention?
>>
>>2414834
Nothing you said was true. You are a bloodsucking leech.
>>
>>2414834
renting a house (which includes paying for taxes, maintenance, upgrades, and profit for the owner) is cheaper than owning a house for the same period?
This is the stupidest fucking take I have seen yet ITT
>>
>>2414838
>Nothing you said was true.
HAHAHAHAHAHAA
You leftist parasites can't handle basic facts. Holy fucking shit. You have no argument.
This is supply and fucking demand.
If there are more rental units available, rent prices come down.
Get that central bank cock out of your fucking mouth.
You people are incapable of reason. The only solution is to publicly execute you like Pinochet did.

>>2414840
>renting a house (which includes paying for taxes, maintenance, upgrades, and profit for the owner) is cheaper than owning a house for the same period?
I didn't even make this argument, your reading comprehension is terrible.
>>
>>2414838
>live in someone else's house
>call them a leech
LOL
>>
>>2414834
>Hmmmm, could be it there is another fucking reason why housing is so expensive, like central banking and government intervention?
This is correct. Stupid low interest rates combined with all the hoops you have to jump through to build a house/duplex/apt building have worked together to skyrocket the price of housing. The difficulty & expense of building limits supply, so people have to compete for the limited stock. Then, when every random Tom and Joe can borrow $400k+ @ 3%, there's tons of money available for people to compete with.

Jacking up interest rates is going to quickly cool the housing market, but to fix the root of the problem, it needs to become easier to build your own home.
>>
>>2414503
>So? The capital they accumulated from work plus the money they risk borrowing from a bank builds the rental properties. They wouldn't exist without landlords.

Retard. Blackrock increasingly owns a huge share of homes in the USA, and bill Gates and other billionaires like Bezos are fast buying up farmland.

How did they earn their money? Fed printing, bail outs and speculation. These are the actual landlords of America. Jews. Some dad owning an appartmemt he rents out doesnt figure into the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>2414942
>>2414864
Besides central banks, immigrants are also a cause for the housing shortage.

National Socialism would sort out both.
>>
>>2414840
>renting a house (which includes paying for taxes, maintenance, upgrades, and profit for the owner) is cheaper than owning a house for the same period?
When you factor in the usurious interest rate that would charged by the person lending your broke ass the money to buy the house, yes, renting is cheaper.

Renting is, of course, more expensive than not being poor. But that's not an option for some people.
>>
>>2414958
National socialism SUPPORTS central banks you dumb fucking retard
Hitler was a Keynesian basically.
Kill yourself immediately bootlicker
>>
>>2414956
>Blackrock increasingly owns a huge share of homes in the USA
They own less than have of one percent.
Your leftist conspiracies are not reality.
>>
>>2415012
>he thinks the privately-owned big line go up federal reserve is comparable to an actual government organization that oversees a labor-backed currency
Libertarians really will take any excuse to pretend the state of the world isn't their problem
>>
>>2415013
Nigger, "less than half of one percent" of EVERY HOME IN THE UNITED STATES is a fucking megamonopoly of more than one million homes, all strategically bought out in areas where value is projected to increase in the next few years. That's a disproportionately huge share.
>>
>>2413637
The guy you quoted isn't me, but it's more like no work for months then I need to travel about 1000km to solve any problems that require my presence since I'm alone, so that puts my whole life on hold for days or weeks. I don't really mind managing stuff, I got some apartments before and always kept everything working by myself, but at the time I was living in the same city.

>>2413638
I don't live in the US, 4k is a ton of money. The usual rent for a property that size is higher, but I gave it a discount for some time because the guy is doing lots of improvements there, so I locked it at 4k for 2 years then after that it goes up 1k per year until the final value, he gets cheap rent for a well localized place and I don't pay for improvements that I would do anyway.
>>
Hi, LL here. I'm mentally braindead. I want renters to die because they suck and are leeches, but I fail to realize that without them, I, the true leech, would starve because I would have no income on the homes I bought at insanely inflated prices at super low interest rates.

How do I reconcile being such a fucking moron?
>>
They live in this fantasy land where the only reason property is so expensive is because rich people are buying it all up. somehow this would all be magically different if the government owned all the land and just permitted us to temporarily live on it at their whim.

They conveniently ignore inflation, cost of living, roaches with fat purses fleeing blue states and demographics.
>>
>>2413047
What's the difference between a land lord and a parasite?
>>
>>2415046
>somehow this would all be magically different if the government owned all the land and just permitted us to temporarily live on it at their whim.
to be fair-- there are countries in the world that don't have private land ownership and they work just like that. And indeed, the cost of housing there is much much lower because noone with any money or options wants to live there lol
>>
>>2415017
And thats just Blackrock. Lots of other hedgefunds are getting into buying up property to rent out.
>>
>>2415099
>>2415025
Its as if there is some kind of middle road where people own the homes they live in, rather than this fake state/landlord dichotomy.
>>
>>2413611
I don't get this American meme "never a day late on rent".
I have it set so my bank account automatically makes the payment every month. There's no way I could ever be late on rent unless I suddenly didn't have money. But why would that be if I have a job?
>>
File: 1627735721353.jpg (244 KB, 750x746)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>2413047
>>
>>2415027
rage standalone insults and wait to see if any of the mad went away
>>
>>2415012
Hitler also liked to support his economy by printing out U.S. dollars. Boy was he ahead of his time.
>>
>>2415104
>hedgefunds
What happened to Chrysler and Sears
>>
>>2413266
>sometimes is a pain in the ass because they don't get paid so I don't get paid
uhhh anon, you're missing out on the best part of landlording:
EVICTIONS AND HIRING REPO MEN
>>
>>2415140
It's not that easy when you're renting out a commercial warehouse, in the time it takes for them to actually move out, they could have made the money to pay the rent. It's also harder to find a new tenant who needs a commercial warehouse.
>>
>>2414864
landlords will get the same helicopter treatment that commies do.
>>
>>2414984
If owning a house is so great why do landlords exist at all? Why do you rent out to anyone instead of selling them the property
>>
>>2415110
>There's no way I could ever be late on rent unless I suddenly didn't have money.
And now you understand the kind of person that rents in America.
>>
>>2415194
>Why do you rent out to anyone instead of selling them the property
DESU, it's a shit business, and I don't want to be in it. I'm evicting the bums and selling everything when my father's dead. IMO, landlording should only be a last resort option if you absolutely cannot find anyone anywhere that can buy the property off you. Even the best renter is still a fucking scumbag troublemaker.
>>
>>2415194
This. It's like a drug dealer complaining about his junkie closeted pastors.
>>
>>2413047
Tenants are retarded (exceptions like self who did all the maintenance and upgrades for my landlordbro who was also my best fren and vintage motorbike mentor).

I was a landlord but now property is paid off I renovated and let it appreciate. I may move there if current location gets too hot in next couple decades. It's surrounded by people with much more money who also own so it doesn't get fucked with.

>>2415194
Owning is great for the owner you stupid fucking nagger, but the best way is to go Section 8 quadplexes and fuck up the neighborhood as revenge on renters then live somewhere else. Since renters are shit no surprise all-renter communities are shit.
>>
>>2415099
And you live there purely at the whim of the government. Keep that in your head.
>>
>>2415110
Good for you? Most of my landlords weren't set up on an online system. The only way to do autopay would've been something where my bank mails them a check, and I didn't trust that to be reliable.
>>
>>2415315
Everyone in a society lives at the sufferance of society in a social species. Babby discovered biology.
>>
>>2415344
It isn't, don't do it.

Our gas company in PA didn't have their own site for the longest time and I saw they were an option on my bank 'autopay' site. I thought it was going to be an e transfer. Long and short of it yeah, they just write checks for you and mail them, pretty worthless.

Before we bought our first home we were renting from a couple, small time stuff. We just did bank transfers, simple stuff and all the documentation you need.
>>
>>2414439
I'm happy to do that too.
>>
>>2413258
>>2413558
Good points. I used to be a contractor but now I'm a banker. I plan to just own the one building and have the neighbor kid do the landscape while I do the actual maintenance so I'll at least have some interaction with the tenants.
>>
>>2415124
Hitler lost LOL

>>2415027
You still have no argument and just repeat things we've already refuted.
You people are a joke and you know you are wrong deep down lol.

>>2414956
>>2415017
>Blackrock increasingly owns a huge share of homes in the USA
It's very very tiny actually and it wouldn't make economic sense for them to continue buying if prices continue to rise as it would take a long time to see returns on the rental income to match what they paid.
Anyway. The blackrock conspiracy is fucking retarded.
>Single-family rental home companies own approximately .19% of the residential real estate in the United States.
Blackrock is just ONE of these MANY companies and that number is extremely fucking small.
Source: https://www.rentalhomecouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/SFR-Get-the-Facts.pdf

>Fed printing, bail outs
Yeah no shit. I am against these things. I am pro-landlord though.

>>2415016
>Libertarians really will take any excuse to pretend the state of the world isn't their problem
The state of the world is objectively your problem, not the problem of Libertarians.
You people have been supporting this central bank/statist regime.

>>2415099
>there are countries in the world that don't have private land ownership
Yeah countries in africa and south america, shanty towns, tent cities.
You're actually fucking retarded and want us all to live in poverty tier commieblocks.

>>2415127
He printed german marks, he used massive deficit spending.
He was your run of the mill social democrat. An FDR of sorts.
So trash basically.

>>2415177
Based pinochet killed neetsoc bootlicker trash like yourself too
>>
If you own property, you have to pay property tax on it. The property tax on my 2 story 3 bedroom home is ~$800 a month. Furthermore you have to spend money maintaining the home, as things break. That is about 2% of the home value per year, which for me comes out to $500 a month.

So if I wanted to rent my home, and just cover the costs of owning the home, I would have to charge $1300 in rent. That is _just_ the costs of the home simply existing. I wouldnt make any profit, and I wouldnt be covering any of the expenses or financial risk that come with doing business with a tenant.

Fuck people who hate on landlords. They are doing good work for tenants. They are giving them places to live. They arent making a killing on rent. If you make it hard for landlords to rent, you are just making the whole process more expensive which does in fact translate to higher rent prices for your bum asses.
>>
My 19 year old brother is moving into my house for $300 a month because I guess my parents think I learned something profound about life when I rented for a year. I remember hearing about a document I can set up so he can have a history of renting when he finds his own place in a few years. What is that document?
>>
>>2415017
There are 140 million homes in the US. So 0.5% of those are less than 1 million homes.

You said "more than one million homes", so you are wrong on that. You said "A huge share", and its hard to see 0.5% as a huge share. You also said "megamonopoly", but "monopoly" means you are the only seller, and if you owned 0.5% of all homes you are very far from the only seller.

Just wrong on everything.
>>
>>2414494
>I dont like development. I dont like people consuming resources.

imo human flourishing is good.
>>
>>2413048
Why do you have tenants without smoke detectors. You wanna protect your ass.
>>
>>2414123
Yet you keep working for us. Interesting.
>>
>>2414510
It's the implications
>>
>>2414731
Haha you're a funny guy.
Remember rent is due on the first.
>>
>>2414793
Could you imagine it? Only people with lots of equity would be able to buy houses. I wonder who that would be? I'm sure the poor will be benefit, lmao.
>>
>>2414827
>artificially
I can't raise rent higher than the natural market. Learn to supply/demand
>>
>>2415524
>markets are ever perfectly efficient
>>
>>2415520
a lot of landlords got hosed after the 2008 housing market correction though-- it isn't hard to imagine that this will happen to some degree again
>>
>>2415526
What are you trying to say? Markets arent perfectly efficient therefore he can just raise rent above market levels and people will rent from him anyway even though they can find cheaper rent elsewhere? How does that make any sense?

>Markets arent perfectly efficient, therefore people will just throw money in random directions
>>
>>2415539
Keep going, im about to CUM
>>
>>2415551
are you saying that markets are inherently rational? are you that fucking retarded?

LOOK at the fucking rental market. it is not rational.
>>
>>2415574
>LOOK at the fucking rental market. it is not rational.
That's the fault of government intervention though
>>
>>2415574
Totally dodged what I said with some dumb turn around question.
>>
>>2415401
Government or the state is not the society, different entities.
>>
>>2413077
A black dude that smokes out hotels told me to put a shower cap over them. It works really well actually and is easy to remove after cooking. Annoying but then you still have functional smoke detectors
>>
>>2415658
>Landlords are universally liked, until anon came along and ruined our utopian pro-landlord consensus
>>
>>2416082
Nobody cares about a few incels on the internet.
The vast majority of people have a neutral opinion of landlords, the same as if they were a locksmith or baker.
>>
>>2416095
If a jurisdiction has rent control, that's a good indication that at least half of the inhabitants hate landlords.
>>
>>2416102
Because rent control makes landlords not give a shit because they often lose money on the properties.
It's the government that is the problem, not landlords.
>>
>>2416106
>slums never happened before rent control
>>
>>2416053
I can't control if my tenants take them down
>>
>>2416095
Kek, sorry to break it to you, the average person thinks of landlords like they do tow truck drivers, parasitic scum. Anecdotally, I've had a few landlords from my own rentals, but also do work for them quasi often- anyone with more than 2-3 properties/or is renting a midrise apartment has been a dirtbag. Guys who rent one or two houses, their basement etc. are usually more involved and recognize a good tenent and take care of them.
>>
>>2416109
Slums happened due to government intervention.
Economic freedom is a relatively new phenomenon.

>>2416126
>the average person thinks of landlords like they do tow truck drivers, parasitic scum.
So basically you think the average person is a retard economic illiterate and for that I would age with you lol.
>tow truck drivers bad
>WHY SHOULD I BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MY OWN ACTIONS REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2416155
>Slums happened due to government intervention.
Are you really this retarded? Look at brazil and india and thailand all their slums are due to libertarian zoning laws where you can build a mcmansion right by slums.
>>
>>2416155
>economic illiterate
>thinks cavemen must have been rich because no gov
>>
>>2416109
There is a pretty high correlation between rent prices and homelessness. Rent control of course, drives up rent prices. I lived in New York and my rent was $2000 a month. My neighbor, who had been in her apartment since the 90s, had a rent of $1300. Since the landlord cant adjust rent prices as costs change or along with inflation, he has to make up the difference by charging more for new tenants. Without rent control you would see the prices much closer to the average between us, which would be cheaper for people looking for homes.

Also, it is basically illegal to build apartments in major cities that have big homelessness problems. It takes years and years of planning and permit getting. It basically cannot be done, and the few new developments we see are the few that managed to squeak through the process. If the government simply legalized building, in the same way we legalized gay marriage and weed, we would see an abundance of housing which would also reduce the rates of slums and homelessness.
>>
>>2413054
>Holy shit, $50 for a CO detector?
you must be 'kidde'ing me
>>
>>2413558
yes.

one place a rented required a deposit, rent advice, workplace reference check, a third party background check and i still ended up living next to smack heads with their 30 closest bum pals calling round each day trashing the place.

girl approached him first and he fell for the domestic abuse larp.
>>
>>2416095
>The vast majority of people have a neutral opinion of landlords,
The vast majority of people have a very negative opinion of landlords

The only people who rent willingly are young kids just trying to get out of the house, and college kids.
Landlords love to take advantage of young kids.
Almost nobody else willingly rents, they do so out of necessity due to being poor.
Landlords love to take advantage of the poor.

The very small slice of the pie who willingly rents, while having a real job and a real amount of money are few and far between, because they would just buy a house.

Nobody walks away from a rental feeling like they got their moneys worth, they feel exploited (because they were).

The only "neutral" parties are people who are friends with landlords and never rented themselves.
They have to hear about how awful all their friends tenants were and how poor mr landlord had to pay to fix the broken furnace.
Too bad the average landlord is kind of an asshole anyways, so that neutral number might be a lot smaller than you think.
>>
>>2413677
>>at least 10 homeless had been sleeping down there, using candles and cook stoves under a wood structure
and not a single penny in rent was paid. see? it IS possible. heckaroo, you could probably have fit even more in there
>>
>>2413704
>He absolutely refused to ever step foot inside that grocery store again because he said he didn't want to see the people working there again
ive worked at (((tesco))) before. i purposefully avoid their stores now
>>
>>2416186
>brazil and india and thailand
Some of the least free market places on earth. No wonder that are so poor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_economic_freedom

>libertarian zoning laws
LIBERTARIAN ZONING LAWS
This is how retarded leftists are, Holy shit.
>where you can build a mcmansion right by slums.
This has nothing to do with anything we are talking about.
>>
>>2416252
>The vast majority of people have a very negative opinion of landlords
Wrong.
Stop getting your opinion of real life from communist redditors and incel /pol/tards.

>The only people who rent willingly are young kids just trying to get out of the house, and college kids.
Yeah no shit.
Imagine if these units didn't exist. Imagine if landlords didn't spend money to build them over the years. Young people would be absolutely fucked.

>they do so out of necessity due to being poor.
So you admit landlords help the poor? Got it.

>Landlords love to take advantage of the poor.
Landlords are benefitting the poor.
Imagine if these housing units didn't exist and the poor had to buy/build housing outright lmao

>they feel exploited (because they were).
They weren't. You're just fucking retarded and need to be hung from lampposts.
I bet you think people who rent farm equipment to people who only need them temporarily are evil exploiters.

>They have to hear about how awful all their friends tenants were and how poor mr landlord had to pay to fix the broken furnace.
Imagine defending anti-social crackheads that destroy capital.
>>
>>2416252
Landlords and scalpers are unironically heros.
>>
>>2416235
Kek. Yeah pretty lame. Just finished install. At least I won't have to replace for the next 10 years.
>>
>>2413057
This
>>2413047
Go back to the desert schlomo
>>
>>2416389
>Wrong.
Its not wrong no matter how much you need to internally cope with it

> Imagine if landlords didn't spend money to build them over the years
Well before those places existed, people would just stay on school campuses and young people would just buy cheap starter houses which brings us to your next point
>So you admit landlords help the poor?
Buying up all the cheap housing, forcing the "poor" to pay for your mortgage and then some over the top isnt actually "helping" them

If they were ACTUALLY poor, they would be in government housing, the so called "poor" we are talking about are the dwindling middle and lower class people who arent in poverty.

>Imagine if these housing units didn't exist and the poor had to buy/build housing outright lmao
Dont have to imagine it, it wasnt that far back in history where the wealthy would move neighborhoods as they got older and the lower classes would move in right after.

Its only been a recent thing where those lower class neighborhoods became 90% rental properties.

>I bet you think people who rent farm equipment to people who only need them temporarily are evil exploiters.
People renting farm equipment are making an investment with their rental.
That money invested is coming back to them, and then some.
Only a disingenuous retard would try to compare the two.

>Imagine defending anti-social crackheads that destroy capital.
The fact that normal wear and tear on a house like your furnace failing (because you are a cheap fuck with a 25 year old furnace in your rental) making you call someone "anti-social" and a "crackhead" because they want heat in the winter is absolutely perfect.
And this sort of mentality isnt special, its not unique to you.
And its exactly why everyone hates your fucking guts.

For the bad tenants that actually "destroy your capital", it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I can only hope it was a methlab that condemns the house.
>>
>>2416186
Profoundly dumb

None of those countries are very free market. India in particular has a rich socialist history. And you complaint is that mansions can be next to slums? What does that matter?
>>
>>2416381

>economic freedom index
>le government spending bad

Yep , it's neoliberal shit
>>
>>2416427
>neoliberal shit
Based
Seethe more leftist poverty creating bootlicking scum
>>
>>2416407
>Its not wrong no matter how much you need to internally cope
LMFAO
Nobody cares about internet tankies and nazis
You people are the scum losers of society and most people want you dead.
>school campuses
No they would stay on their parents house because they didn't have the capital to build their own house you parasitical subhuman.
> would just buy cheap starter houses
People already do that. The home ownership rate hasn't changed since the 70s. You are empirically wrong.
>Buying up all the cheap housing
LMFAO
Landlords primarily BUILD apartment complexes.
There is only a demand for rental units if society is poorer in general. I would say the government has made society poorer but landlords are the ones making sure the poorest of the poor don't go homeless due to lack of housing. But this is beside the point.
Seeing how the home ownership rate hasn't changed, your point is complete bullshit.
> isnt actually "helping" them
So you would prefer if the poor had NO housing then.
>they would be in government housing
The government shouldn't be involved in housing, it's a scam.
> it wasnt that far back in history where the wealthy would move neighborhoods as they got older
Yes, back before the federal reserve and government destroyed the middle class.
You're proving my point.
Without landlords we would be worse off.
>recent thing where those lower class neighborhoods became 90% rental
Fucking wrong lmao. Look at the home ownership rate.
>People renting farm equipment are making an investment with their rental.
So are landlords.
>Only a disingenuous retard would try to compare the two.
They're the same. You didn't even differentiate them.
>normal wear and tear
That's different from what crackheads do, like basically destroy the property resulting in 10s of thousands in damages.
>everyone hates your fucking guts.
Only anti-social internet incels like you hate us.
You're a parasite that hates the poor. Just admit it. It would be moral for people to slaughter you.
>>
>>2416427
When the FUCK is government spending good?
You people are religious cultists.
I bet you enjoy slaving away with inflation.
>>
>>2416252
>The vast majority of people have a very negative opinion of landlords
Only a third of Americans rent. Hardly a majority. Those people are all trash. Their opinions do not matter.

>The only "neutral" parties are people who are friends with landlords and never rented themselves.
Otherwise known as people worth knowing, who have opinions that matter.
>>
>>2416407
>because you are a cheap fuck with a 25 year old furnace in your rental
Huh? What's wrong with a 25 year old furnace? I have a 27 year old furnace in my own house. Do you think landlords should be replacing appliances before they break? Shit, if you insist, I'd be happy to. But I'm going to have to raise your rent.
>>
>>2413047
>This is a safe space for landlords.
There are no safe spaces for landlords.
>>
>>2416511
>drives to work on public roads
>works on a project facilitated at least indirectly by a federal fund control point
>arrives home peacefully thanks to those fucking pigs
>makes sammich with wholesome ingredients inspected by you know who
>logs on to internet using protocols maintained by FCC, and accessible because monopoly mitigated by FTC
>gets mad at post using public education literacy
damn, the lizard people win after all
>>
>>2416713
Literally everything that you describe would work just as well (or, probably, better) if it were controlled by privately-owned companies
>multiple competing roadbuilding companies (supported by tolls) (local roads would still have to be community-owned)
>multiple competing wacky billionaire think tanks
>multiple competing security companies
>multiple competing food certification companies
>multiple competing internet protocols
>multiple competing private schools
>>
>>2416713.
The Derek Chauvins don't keep you safe (look up Town of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, or what they did at Uvalde, Texas last month), you arrive home safe just because 99.5% of all people are not out to hurt you.
Internet protocols are maintained by the IETF, the FCC is just two lawyers and the music recording industry stuffed inside one trenchcoat.
>>
>>2416731
>vigilante militias are so much more market efficient
>>2416719
>supported by tolls
Those are aren't ultimately controlled by privately-owned companies. That applies to every other part of your competition fever dream, it's like trying to diy a car that's nothing but engines
>>
>come to thread hoping for funny landlord/weirdo tenant stories
feel a little let down
>>
>>2416761
>comes to safe space thread for validation
>sees nothing but funny tenant/weirdo landlord posts, the very opposite of what he was looking for
>>
>>2416766
what?
>>
>>2416767
duh?
>>
>>2416768
I don't get your post at all, mine was clear, I thought there might be funny stories in here, there aren't
what are you trying to say?
>>
>>2416769
>can't admit when funny tenants are funny because... well it's complicated, ok?
>>
>>2416771
ok? I don't know what you are talking about, my only posts ITT
are
>>2416761
>>2416767
>>2416769

you might have me confused for someone else, I don't give a fuck about the boring arguments
>>
>>2416772
Zero Self-Awareness: The Post
>day after day, scans diy for a pro-landloard/anti-tenant thread
>at long last! an oasis of confirmation bias!
>quickly disappointed by tiresome landlord neurosis getting hilariously roasted by former and current tenants
Of course you'd thing those arguments are boring.
>>
>>2416776
You're batshit insane. Keep making bizarre assumptions about total strangers.
>>
>>2416234
W t f do you seriously believe what you wrote there. Holy shit the state if things.
>>
>>2416777
>making bizarre assumptions about total strangers
>weirdo tenants
ok
>>
>>2415485
$500 a month? So, where are these magically fantastic landlords that spend that much on maintenance? Of course, if you're constantly cutting corners and buying the cheapest shit that breaks that often then yeah I guess I understand.
>>
>>2415485
NOBODY spends 2% per year on maintenance, you're on crack. If you house is under 200k maybe.

T. Homeowner and contractor who has done everything from foundation cracks to additions on their own home.
>>
>>2416801
>>2416804

2% of $100,000 = $2000
Tenants can and do create that much worth in damage repair costs in excess of their security deposits in literally minutes, sometimes double and triple that amount.
When they are entitled commie sociopath shitlords intentvon causing maximum pain via squatting and forcing a legal eviction, simply getting them out so you can fix things can cost $2K *easily*.
If a major system like HVAC needs repair or replacement and it costs $2k or $10k those costs are mandatory and the same commie fucksticks who say it doesnt happen will scream "slumlord" if they have to wait two days for the parts to come in.

The idea that no LL pays $500/month for maintenece because it's not usually paid out every month at that rate is as stupid as saying that a house doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars because the monthly mortgage payment is only $2k.
>>
>>2416804
It depends on how many features and upgrades the property has, where in the repair/replace cycle its utility subsystems are, and how much mrs. landlord is relying on property management outsourcing. If the property isn't primary and is ~20 years old with at least one nature nut neighbor who like to feed Bambi and friends, yes there's a good chance of 2% maintenance costs annually for a few years.

That said, landlords too often are in denial over what it is they're getting into and they are more serving the mortgage market than the housing market.
>>
>>2416812
>this is totally representative of the median tenant and not exaggerating at all
>>
>>2416817
Typical scumbag response. You did all that math expecting your renters to create not only equalibrium cash flow, but cash flow positive (profit) all the while ignoring the steady increase in value of the asset, the equity, the access to new financial instruments via that equity etc.

You also claim damages from your tenants can be some astronomical charge, yeah, but its extraordinarily rare and there are protections available to mitigate that (insurance, rentals, the literal law).

>commie shit

Yeah, definately mid-wit tier like most slummies.
>>
>>2416827
I'm a different anon. I don't have renters, because I think rental properties have a terrible investment profile. High CapEx, high OpEx, low asset liquidity (their fucking houses, apartment buildings are worse), high risk, highly regulated. And grasping at residential property warps the housing market. Really no upside.

It baffles me why aspiring new money wants to elbow into real estate. Investing in equity, bonds, commodities, or volatility is already above most people's heads in spite of avoiding the above issues.
>>
>>2416827
listen, you just don't understand how much landlords are sacrificing themselves to help poor renters. It's pretty normal to lose money every single month on a rental-- we do it because we're nice people and it's basically a charity.
I don't know why people think that landlords are in a business that makes money. WE DO IT JUST TO HELP PEOPLE
>>
>>2416843
>WE DO IT JUST TO HELP PEOPLE
Which is why you incorporate as a charity with all the tax benefits that entails. Right?
>>
>>2416841
For me, living in Canada, its insane how bad things got once everybody wanted to become a landlord/investor. Places have shot up 200+% in a few years and the rental expectations to service their mortgage has no bearing on the job market in some areas, so they sit there vacant or resold shortly after for some profit. Now we are seeing major corrections and lots of calls to me for quick service pre-sale. Its been such a bull run people have completly forgotten the risks and of course work involved in providing housing. I think as a very long term investment, its okay, but not as hands off as people expect. As a tradie, I've rented my basement but also have taken care of my renters always, I replace the silicone in the shower annually, new fridge and stove despite the old ones being fine, I replaced their couches and got an older 42 inch tv down there, Im not against being a land lord, just so many pos humans out there.
>>
>>2416827
>You also claim damages from your tenants can be some astronomical charge, yeah, but its extraordinarily rare and there are protections available
lol.
>>
>>2416841
Real estate is inflation proof.
>>
>>2416885
>inflation proof
>wah why are asset prices collapsing as borrowing costs increase
>>
>>2416657
>kills millions of his own people during peace time
Lmao what an absolute failure.
Kill all communists.
>>
>>2416713
>defending the FDA and AMA
Lol hard to talk with a cock in your mouth, eh?
>>
>>2413048

bro, do you already have existing wiring in polace to hook those up to?
>>
>>2413077

When you buy them in bulk they come with little yellow showercaps so that they dont get contaminated with dust during construction. It is not foolproof for keeping out smoke though.
>>
>>2416945
not all of us take to it naturally, anon
>>
>>2417149
Lmao they did come with little shower caps
>>
>>2413752
>instead of gibs from the state
you're either a 30 something millennial or a zoomer.
Where do people get money from the state? What gibs? Please tell me because I want some of the hidden gibs to buy property.
>>
>>2418932
>you're either a 30 something millennial or a zoomer.

looks more like a logic-handicapped /pol/tard to me. they live in a fantasy world where nothing real ever happens.
>>
>>2416943
>Transforms China from a shithole ruled by warlords to a Modern nation
Kuomintrannies seethe to this day
>>
>>2418982
China so moder....
>attacked by escalator
>>
>>2413740
>watch these rich grifter youtubers
The cattle gets its feed regularly, I see.
>>
Anyone ITT hating on landlords irrationally and blaming them for a housing shortage is a moron.

I was working in a high end apartment complex in the northeast that is only about 2 years old and has about 300 units, the building managers were talking to us as we were retrofitting new appliances and told us that the going rate for a 1 bedroom is $3000. All of the 2 bedroom units are now occupied by section 8 recipients (the state only requires 10% be available). The only people paying the rent out of pocket are tenants in the 1BR units while all of the 2BR are getting $4000/mo units for practically nothing. The state swooped in and took control of all of the empty units in city and gave them to migrants.

Anyone supporting open borders and bitching about rent has a serious cognitive dissonance with reality.
>>
>>2416719
So the book Snow Crash?
>>
>>2413397
Christ hated capitalists. No rich will enter the kingdom of heaven.
>>
>>2419994
>hating on landlords irrationally
There is nothing irrational about hating landlords. And your anecdote, while highly dubious, just proves that landlords are scammers.
>>
>>2419994
>The market : we need affordable housing for families
>The landlords : best I can do is 4000 for 2 bedrooms
>>
>>2419994
You're in poornig failedatlife central where idiots feel entitled to afford everything including where they don't belong because they're too poor.

Poverty is personal failure. Others are not poor so if you are and not physically crippled then KYS because you have no excuse.
>>
>>2420416
>The landlords : best I can do is 4000 for 2 bedrooms

Do not live in those places and you have no problem. Why do you want to live where your accomplishments make you unworthy to reside?
>>
>>2414384
>Everything is scarcity driven.
Scarcity sets the baseline, yes, but it's certainly not the only factor.
You have fags taking up shittons of loans that they can't pay to buy up properties, realise that they can't pay for shit and then hike up the price to absurd levels because they think that their retarded investment decision can still make a profit. Next person does the exact same thing but at a higher price due to the previous one and now sets the rent to such levels that would allow to pay for the even higher loans on this braindead investment decision, proceeding to repeat the exact same self-destructive investment decision not too long afterwards. Then afterwards will act like he's the next Warren Buffet when in fact he made a net gain in spite of his understanding of finance, rather than as a result of it. When it's someone else's money it is very easy to act like you are some financial god when you by sheer luck didn't get fucked by your own incompetence.
>>
>>2420865
>Do not live in those places and you have no problem. Why do you want to live where your accomplishments make you unworthy to reside?
You say this as if it makes sense. It doesn't.
>>
>>2413397
>NOOOOOOOOOOOO you gotta play into the hekkin 2 party system left-right false dichotorinoooo!!!!!
>>
>>2413077
>Cook bacon once and the whole place is beeping
put some fucking fume extractors in, cheapass.
>>
>>2413752
>landlords do not produce things of value unless they build the property.
this is a retarded argument because it takes buyers for sellers to have any incentive to produce shit. whether or not they are buying to occupy or rent out has the same effect on prices influencing supply. the correct way to btfo landlords is to forget about the buildings and instead point out that land does not respond to price signalling and the incentive structure created by free market trade and if tomorrow land is 100x more expensive, it has no impact on incentivising new "land producers" to enter the market in the way that the law of supply does for goods that are actually effected upon by man's labor.

for this reason there is no capitalist argument in favor of private ownership of land.
>>
The basic premise that poor people may only exist where it generates enough profit for rich people is evil.
>>
The little bourgeoisie gonna get roped at some point based on the current tragectory. Something always gives.
>>
>>2421643
The basic premise that poor people get whatever they want unconditionally is evil
>>
>>2421647
Man a fucking plumber running a plumbing company is petite bourgeoisie according to you dum shits because he buys finished goods from someone and employs other plumbers.

Enjoy not being able to take a shit in your utopia
>>
>>2421670
Unemployed, overextended slumlords add nothing to society and destabilize the economy, big difference.
>>
>>2416234
I don't know if you have ever talked to a long term homeless person, theyvare crazy as fuck.

Think about it, if you lost your job. You'd get some government gibs and move in with some friends or family until you got back on your feet.

This homeless mother fucker has pissed off everyone that knows him so much they won't give him the time of day.
>>
>>2421679
>surely it can't possibly be the influx of hard working immigrants willing to live 4 adult earners per bedroom.

The illegals are here to prop up your boomer parent's 401k and 2nd mortgage. Now their kids can't afford a house unless they live and work like illegals.
>>
Some years back I rented a townhouse. Landlord was a shitter, kept our security deposit over nothing. Put a brick through the window a month later lol
>>
File: jesus+whipping.jpg (135 KB, 860x700)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>2421668
Take it up with Jesus.
>>
File: Boring-Blogging.jpg (44 KB, 498x343)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2413397
>people who hate globohomo pod living are leftists now

This is your mind when you apply logic through a black and white lens (ALL property owners are good) instead of judging based on context. Retard.
>>
>>2414457
oh so they're charities then, sure kid
>>
File: wut_879.jpg (34 KB, 400x350)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I generally don't get the people's hate for landlords. Like I get hating them if they're artificially raising a price of rent based on nothing. Or investors buying out properties to convert them into apartment blocks and decreasing the amount of purchasable property available increasing the cost of owning anything.
But the concept of someone owning a property and then renting it to someone is like baseline free market. You can own anything and rent it out to anybody, why is it any different for housing? Do people just think they're entitled to live somewhere that someone else built with their own effort and time, for no money? Why don't people complain about grocery stores? I mean you need to eat more than you need to live in a home, why arent people mad that food isn't free?
>>
>>2422017
The credible hate is mostly for landlords getting into it for muh passive income or chasing dat real estate baron lyfe. Or hoarding wealth we begrudging marginal tax increases that might benefit their tenants but not themselves. There's not much wrong with someone renting out their empty nest, or a homeowner who has to tighten their belt, or anything like that.

Also nothing inherently wrong with apartment blocks, that can be more efficient use of real estate depending on circumstances. It's really comes down to whether a landlord is biting off more than they can chew.
>>
>>2422017
Real estate isn't an actual free market. Developers deliberately coordinate not to "overbuild" an area, and nobody actually lowers rent to compete with other landlords. In most places, supply of housing is controlled by cartels that are deliberately fucking the consumer.
>>
>>2422242
>landlords getting into it for muh passive income or chasing dat real estate baron lyfe.

Well this isn't admirable, I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. If I had enough money to buy an apartment building and rent it out for some easy money on the side, I think that would be a pretty smart thing to do.
>>
>>2413047
Blessed landchad thread. Thank you for your service, kings. Any rentards ITT, be sure to tip your landlord.
>>
>>2422384
>be sure to tip your landlord's fridge
ftfy
>>
>>2413047
This is /diy, not (((/Jewery)))
Please leave.
>>
Renter here. I know we aren't welcome but my landlord just replaced the old gas boiler in the property I live and now I can have hot showers and save money on gas/electric bill all without a cost to myself. Three cheers for landlords. Hip hip hooray.
>>
>>2421962
This is why we are National Socialists and not (((international capitalists)))
>>
I like money.
>>
>>2422374
>I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.
This is why you failed
>>
>>2422242
how to say you have no idea what it is to be a landlord without saying it.
>>
>>2422374
>and rent it out for some easy money
That's where you're wrong. Landlording isn't easy money. It takes commitment and high risk tolerance, and is a terrible investment.

>>2422897
>how to say you have no idea what it is to be a landlord without saying it.
>let's suspend disbelief and any memory of the OP
>>
>>2422953
>Landlording isn't easy money. It takes commitment and high risk tolerance, and is a terrible investment.
Depends on the aera
Down here you can spend 10k buying and refurbishing a trailer, plob it on 1/3 acre of land and get $1200 a month in rent.
>>
>>2422958
And then 1 or more humans begins living in it. And not just any humans, but humans renting refurbished trailers "plobbed" on a 1/3 acre of land.
>>
>>2422965
And they really don't mind either.
When my dad was fixing a trailer and I was helping, when the time came to get tenants it was the easiest part of the process, after 4 showings someone came with the money and signed the lease. This was after cutting the trash out with credit and background checks.

Lots of people would rather live in an old single-wide in the sticks before an apartment.
>>
Parasites, all of you
>>
>>2422994
If you really wanted to own something, Land lords are not stopping you.
I'm actually grateful as hell so many people don't want to own things.
>>
>>2422994
Contrarian teenigger trying to excuse failure. Live where you can afford to live, dipshit. I do.
>>
>>2422994
you arent entitled to my shelter. go live in a van or a pitch a tent.
>>
>>2422996
>it's a free market
>you can be rich anytime
>>
>>2423202
You don't have to be rich to have your own place.
Just stop doing the bare fucking minimum to survive. Fix your credit, quit working at micky D's. If you find this ain't enough maybe start looking father outword.
Renting is a choice.
Most people could easily afford to buy land 15 min outside of town, but most would rather chase that suburbia dream, even if they have to rent it.
It doesn't even have to be a dream, people just need to understand the shit they want is what everyone else wants so some amalgam of effort has to be put in if you want prime real estate like in the suburbs.

There, now you have a QRD on the whole housing "crisis"
>>
>>2423220
>most would rather chase that suburbia
>just drive out another 15 miles
>boom done
>damn i'm gud



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.