[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 8 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Sewing

Im trying to tailor some lf my own clothes and maybe download some patterns and make my own robe, boxers etc which seems simple and humble

But then I developed a taste for power, and when I read about sewing machines, it becomes way more complicated when I want to sew jeans and denim, and then

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/25239-the-type-of-sewing-machine-you-need-to-sew-leather/

this site talks about leather as a whole different beast. Do I have to get a particular machine for jeans and shirts/"easy" fabrics for shirts and such, and then an entirely different machine for leather? Is there such a thing as an "all rounder", or a big boy leather machinethat can take the tiny needle and thread and let me work on my simple shirts? Might be a dumb question but Im hoping I can catch people in the know for some opinions
>>
Depending on what kind of leather sewing you plan to do, one dedicated leather machine might not even be enough, they can be very specialized for one task or product.
It's theoretically possible to sew lighter fabrics on an industrial grade machine capable of sewing leather, but it's kind of like using a 1" drive air ratchet gun and adapters to power a 1/4" nut driver...hard to control and powerful enough to destroy everything in an instant if you lose it.
FWIW, even things like the factory seams on jeans are extremely difficult to replicate without very specialized machines that gather, fold, compress and double stitch those seams in one operation...and it takes lots of skill to just control them since they are geared for production speeds.
>>
Anon already said it. Just get yourself a cheap, basic machine and play around with some shirts for now. You can't buy a machine that does everything, nor is there any reason to spend a lot of money on fancy equipment when you've apparently never sewn before.
>>
>>2384620
>>2384623
Well that's a shame, I'll have to dial down my greed for now

For other pants, such as chinos, khakis, trousers, linen and stretchy joggers, sweatpants etc, are they fair game?
>>
>>2384608
Get a machine that can handle denim. Leather is a major hassle and requires specialized equipment.
>>
>>2384645
>For other pants, such as chinos, khakis, trousers, linen and stretchy joggers, sweatpants etc, are they fair game?
Yes any sewing machine is fine for those.
>>
Why not get a feel for leather first? I'm no sewing or leather expert by any means, but it can't hurt to try working with leather using traditional tools. Yeah they're inefficient in comparison, but if you start with small projects like leather wrist bands or ornaments and then work your way up to like, a leather tool belt, you get a feel for the material and learn its ins and outs. It's not very costly, either. Work with scrap leather for a start so fucking up won't cost you much. Then if you get a knack for leather you can think about powered tools. Just a suggestion, I find this slow, traditional approach makes for the best mileage.
Pic semi related, leather working tools of my grandpa. Found them in the basement randomly one day. Shed a tear or two. He died when I was six.
>>
Do you have any patterns for boxers? I would like to make some hemp fabric ones
>>
theres this chinese machine doing the rounds atm. bit hit and miss with them, they require some tweaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq3x1zWxGPU

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.