[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 8 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

i don't know anything about anything and have always wondered why people sometimes do this thing where they will drill a plank into the wall and then drill something to that plank; what is this called and whats the purpose of this? why not just drill the thing itself directly into the wall

ill post a couple examples of what i'm talking about
>>
>>2384590
>>
File: wood wall thing.png (253 KB, 480x360)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
>>2384590
>>2384591
>>
>>2384590
You understand how houses are framed and that you usually want to anchor the thing to a stud right?
>>
>>2384595
yeah definitely, drill into the stud as opposed to the drywall gap in between studs
>>
>>2384600
Well, there you have it.
>>
>>2384601
ok but why do people add this intermediate step with this external wooden slab
>>
>>2384603
Look at >>2384591

You see all those screw heads in the runner boards? Its spanning across 3 studs to give more strength. How would you propose that rack gets mounted to the wall without it?
>>
>>2384603
Because the equipment mounting holes are not the same distance apart as the studs and even if they are locating them directly on studs may make a very strong connection in an unworkable location for using or moving around the equipment.
>>
File: 1650822658284m.jpg (63 KB, 1024x851)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>2384603
because it's easier than tearing out drywall, adding correctly spaced backing board, then replacing drywall, mud and paint. It's basically a lazy ass way to do something, a quick fix essentially. Its easier for a renter to fill drywall holes with toothpaste, than do all the aforementioned steps.
>>
>>2384590
>what is this called
it's a stringer

>and whats the purpose of this?
distributes load across multiple studs
allows you to to mount something between studs without relying on drywall anchors
>>
File: art.png (14 KB, 1074x586)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>2384607
it just gets drilled into the two studs it spans, but if you're saying that this board is incorporating the strength of more studs / dispersing the load across more things i could see that

>>2384609
hmm so you're saying u could drill the plank to studs and then drill the equipment to the parts of the plank even if there is a drywall gap behind it?(the part you're drilling to the plank)

interesting if thats actually strong, also i drew a pic cuz im even cringing at the way im trying to describe my ideas in text
>>
>>2384613
You're an odd guy anon. Can you stop being autistic and just tell us what you're trying to mount?
>>
>>2384613
>so you're saying u could drill the plank to studs and then drill the equipment to the parts of the plank even if there is a drywall gap behind it?
Yes, as long as the various fasteners and loads are within their proper ranges and the plank is strong enough for the loads then it's as strong as going into studs and possibly stronger if you span multiple studs and up the number of connections in the right places to carry and distribute the loads.
>>
>>2384621
nothing in particular at the moment, but i would be interested in something like this >>2384591
now that i understand how this wood-wizardry works, i got a some more research to do now that i know what a "Stringer" is

>>2384622
and this will leave a small "footprint" too right? one thing that makes me never want to drill anything into a wall ever is the idea that it might devalue the home or break something later on down the road
>>
>>2384628
>and this will leave a small "footprint" too right? one thing that makes me never want to drill anything into a wall ever is the idea that it might devalue the home or break something later on down the road
It's one small area of drywall m8 it's not going to seriously hurt the value of the home and it's by no means some permanent alteration.
>>
>>2384629
not just the dry wall though, when you drill into a stud that hole is gonna be there forever is it not? unless i can fill it with some wood injection type thing when i'm done with it
>>
>>2384638
No one would ever see it and no one would care. Wait till you find out how they run electric and plumbing through studs.
>>
>>2384590
its better force distribution, since you turn one point of contact into 2.

Also its the only way to securely put it onto drywall.
>>
>>2384646
>Wait till you find out how they run electric and plumbing
He probably will with a dowsing screw.
>>
>>2384590
>wood to unistrut to wood

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.