[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 41HAybt1YaL._AC_.jpg (20 KB, 443x392)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
My boss just got a new industrial laser cutter for the shop.
It's not in its own room and that's already given me some concern
There's only one pair of laser goggles and those are for when you're working with the machine
But I've been wanting to wear them all the time that I'm in the shop because I don't want a laser to my eye.

Ever since that machine landed in our shop I'll see blinding flashes of light in the corner of my vision, but it's never long enough to prove to others it's flashes from the laser cutter.

They think I'm just seeing things. But I know what I saw.

What can I do?
>>
So buy another pair of goggles for whatever spectrum the laser cutter is
>>
>>2383435
Is it a C02 laser?
C02 lasers like you posted use are in the UV range so you cant actually see them. I dont know if there would even be a "flash" of light if it hit your eyes like a solid state laser would. They dont even put in tinted windows for them, just regular poly-carbonate windows deflect and diffuse the laser enough (in theory)
Some people just wear normal safety glasses because they are UV rated and it too would help diffuse any bounding light that might hit your eyes.
Lasers get far weaker as they get diffused and as you move further away.

I hate simping for any bossman, but I dont know if its really a big deal.
>>
Retard, its an ir laser, you wont see any blinding flashes. When it hits your eyeball you will be blind without even noticing it shined into your eyes. And thats just by direct exposure to a reflected commulated beam, which it is just in the beam path, before it enters the cutting head where it gets focused into one point. The scattered, unfocused laser light eventually escaping the machine is losing its power pretty fast, in a matter of an arms reach, you would need to engrave retarded shit like a pollished mirror surface to reflect enough laser light out of the machine to hurt someone having his face directly above the cutting bed. Cutting lasers are focused to get all their energy into one point, like you would with a magnifying glass when you burn stuff, past that focus point the light scatters again and loses its energy. Source, im working with fiber and 40kw co2 lasers, cutting up to 2cm thick steelplates , we wear just regular polycarbonate impact protection goggles because of sparks.
>>
>>2383451
UV
I meant IR, but yeah, check out this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wXApAAh8xA
>>
I just vomited y'all. The laser has been in our shop for less than a week and I'm already coming home sick.
>>
>>2383463
You have laser aids, i hope you die in your vomit
>>
Guys I just took a shower and some clumps of hair just fell off my head! It has to be that laser!
>>
Guys, i just took a shit, and its all clumped up blood, i bet its from that laser!
>>
Guys i was at the doctor and got diagnosed with diabetes. Must be from that laser
>>
>>2383466
>>2383472
>>2383475
These were not me, op and this thread is not some joke
>>
>I don't want to go blind
Fag. ngmi
>>
>>2383476
If you knew anything about laser safety, yes, it is a joke, and you sound like that moron posting here months ago on ozher boards about his roommate running a dinky diode laser 3 rooms away, and how you could go blind from the scattered laser light shining through door gaps across the house, and how you could destroy his laser. Fuck off op
>>
>>2383485
I was wanting to know how to break it to make it look like an accident because I'm also worried about the scattered rays shining around.

I asked my boss to specifically build a blackout room for it to which he said no.
>>
Guys I got the coronavax and now half my body is paralyzed. Anyone know how I can sue my boss for causing this with the laser?
>>
hey look it's the 50th time you've made this thread. guess what, you're still not blind yet and this has been going on for over a year. can you not afford your meds, is that the problem?
>>
Pussy
>>
>>2383510
Oh my fucking god i hate laser schitzos i wonder if this is the same guy who was angry his brothers laser engraver was in a room without an airtight door....
Fucking lasertards think those machines are made by the devil or some shit i swear to god
>>
File: betty boom.jpg (131 KB, 1200x800)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>2383894
it definitely is. the retardation is just as strong with this one
>>
>>2383894
It's him alright
>>
>>2383435
>blinding flashes of light
It's usually not a visible light afaik you worrycuck
>>
>>2383453
lol one day youre gonna lean down at the start of a cut and catch a reflection you idiot, you probably wont even realize it either, youll just assume the sandy itchy eye feeling later that day is something else before you slowly realize that your eyesight isnt what it used to be in one eye
>>
>>2383435
why do you continue posting this story? you're shitting up the board with your autism.
>>
>>2384092
no one leans down at the start of a cut you mongoloid. theres a sheet of clear polycarbonate sliding up to keep the sparks inside the machine and any stray ir light which isnt even able to penetrate the polycarbonate on the goggles we wear in the first place. go blind somewhere else you lil shitter.
>>
File: jww42ck1hsg21.jpg.jpg (116 KB, 500x433)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>2384092
yeah, if you rub your eyeballs against the work piece to get low enough, about a meter from the cutting head on an 8 square meter work surface. i bet you are one of those staring into the light when someone next to you is arc welding as well. if you manage the impossible to catch a cumulated beam escaping an enclosed beam path somehow before it reaches the cutting head, or manage to collect and refocus that scattered light with a zinc selenium lens directly into your eyeball, you deserve a new category of darwin award. in the 35 year history of the company im working for, no one ever managed to go blind from any of the open bed machines in the shop with lots of people around them all day long in 3 shifts. dont be a moron, use common sense, embrace the inverse square law. wear laser protection goggles when you open the laser tube enclosure, open the beam path enclosures to change or adjust the copper mirrors in the beam path or when removing the air assists when changing the focusing lens. lasers are not voodoo magic, they obey the laws of physics.
>>
>>2383894
Yeah it's the same schizo
>>
>>2384260
>embrace the inverse square law
Stop repeating this meme; the inverse square law does NOT apply to collimated or other non-isotropic sources of light, including almost any reflected light from a source like this.

Just because none of the boomers in your shop have gone blind yet doesn't mean it's smart to be casual about safety with these machines.
>>
>>2383451
>>2383457
You also meant CO2 not C02. Carbondi-fucking-oxide not carbon zero two.

Give oxygen its due, it's the reason you're alive and will probably be the reason when you're not alive.
>>
File: invsq.gif (5 KB, 520x250)
5 KB
5 KB GIF
>>2384438
Nope. Still inverse square.

For a non-isotropic emitter with an antenna gain Gt we use the 'effective' radiated power (the power at the centre of the beam) where:

Peff = Gt Pt , and thus
S = Gt Pt / ( 4 π r2 )
>>
>>2384438
>inverse square law does NOT apply to collimated

stopped reading there. there is nothing like that outside the beam path housing on a laser cutter. they cover the beam path starting from the laser tube enclosure up to the focusing head . you would have to remove the covers and use a mirror to get anything harmful out of the machine. when those covers are removed, the machine wont even turn on.
>>
>>2384484
>>2384583
isl is for point sources which lasers are not. nor reflections lol. how do you have a flying head without a collimated beam? magic?
>>
Is flashing from the laser on the material hazardous?

Wouldn't the laser be dangerous if you look directly into it (which I don't even know how you could manage that since they point sideways inside the chamber ....
but they have to put warning labels for idiots who manage to do that

?

when the laser is cutting something it can make a really bright point on the material, is that harmful?
I have to glance at material cutting briefly just to make sure its not catching on fire...not cutting anything reflective
>>
>>2384815
the lid should have some optical property capable of absorbing enough energy that reflections are not harmful to your eye. however that requires trust in your machine and manufacturer....
>>
I was really paranoid about my laser especially when I got the cheap Chinese one. The smoke irritated my eyes and I thought I fried them looking at it. Lol
Honestly the laser is really focused. It doesn't randomly reflect laser focused ir around the room. Unless you're looking down the laser tube and firing it while you're aligning it you're probably fine. That being said it is bright when it hits the work material so it's best to monitor it remotely via video feed.
>>
>>2384583

Not that guy, but you might want to look up "specular reflection". A reflection can absolutely be collimated. Whether or not you will get any of that depends on the material being cut. Even though the beam exiting the focusing optics isn't collimated, small portions of it can become collimated (or at least focused at appreciable distance) if you're cutting certain materials.

This only happens for brief instants at a time, as the beam hits a nodule of reflective material that's just the right shape and at just the right angle, but it's a real concern. When we're talking kW+ pulsed lasers, it doesn't matter if you only get hit with a minuscule fraction of the total beam power because that's still enough to do eye damage. That's why high-powered lasers have shielding beyond simply obscuring the beam path; reflections from the spot itself are dangerous.
>>
>>2384793
Yeah let me just get my perfectly collimated laser out of my physics closet along with my elephant that has no volume and frictionless cube.

It disperses following an inverse square law, even if if would be very tightly focused at op's distances.
>>
>>2384894
whether or not it obeys the law the rate at which it reduces is so small as to be insignificant which is what is important in saving your vision not some pedantic technicality that the laser doesn't care about or understand.
>>
>>2383894
Sauce
>>
File: R (4).png (485 KB, 426x600)
485 KB
485 KB PNG
>>2385243
It's not pedantic or nothing. If you shine it at the moon it's not a little dot, it covers the entire moon. It spreads just fine and it follows the inverse square law.

Cutting lasers should have an enclosure that completely covers the material the entire time it's being worked. Opening the door should trigger a safety interlock that immeidately cuts power to the laser and stops the program

If you really want you can get a transparent window into the chamber but it must be laser rated.

Anything less is failing osha and opening yourself up to a huge lawsuit because no one on your jobsite is wearing laser goggles around all the time except maybe a welder because he already is anyway. Besides the goggles are expensive as fuck, the enclosure is much cheaper.
>>
>>2384249
all it takes is dropping something and reacting to pick it up without thinking, if there is a gap around your glasses then you can easily shoot IR into your periphery. 40,000W of laser is seriously no joke, even in a diffuse reflection thats still 10x brighter than your face directly next to a streetlight. But since you're a metal worker, powerful direct reflections are very common, I doubt your stock is sandblasted dull lmao
>>
>>2385473
>f there is a gap around your glasses then you can easily shoot IR into your periphery. 40,000W of laser is seriously no joke

40 Megawatts? really? The israelis are using 100KW lasers for anti-mortar/drone/artillery shootdown at 25km ranges. And you think you have a 40,000w laser?

I'm getting the feeling that the people in this thread have never used a laser....
>>
>>2385482
>retarded wojack trying to fit square peg in round hole.jpg

I mean, yes he's still retarded like 30-130w being actual cutting lasers. You can't read either though
>>
>>2385488
you're right, I fucking well can't read, can I?

Yeah... Megawatt, Kilowatt, watt the fuck am I typing, more like.
I would like to say it was just a brainfart, but, lets be honest, I am evidently retarded, and I also fucked up royally.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.