[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 70 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1620006908507.png (300 KB, 657x636)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
Stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread.

previous thread hit bump limit >>2373194

Will hydrogen peroxide and water kill crawlspace mold or should I go bleach?
>>
>>2382542
> Will hydrogen peroxide and water kill crawlspace mold or should I go bleach?

Yes but doesn’t matter if you’re not doing anything to prevent it from growing back.
>>
>>2382542
I want to use regular wood glue to glue 2x4s into a small panel. Then I want to burn the entire surface for looks.
Is there a problem with that, i e. will the glue melt or something like that?
>>
File: OIP (31).jpg (30 KB, 474x313)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>2382821
the glue will fail over time, if you put a small pice of metal between the board and hit the wood with a hammer it will mark them so you can make a pocket fill with glue and shove in a dowel.
>>
Have a low area in my yard I want to put some fill in. It’s currently a garden and mostly dirt. Should I put a layer of stone down before I cover it with soil? Also what types of water absorbing plants should I put in there.
>>
in the US, shouldn't bathrooms have an extractor fan or window, by code or some shit? I don't have a window, and the "extraction" fan is just a fan that blows air back into the bathroom through a filter for some fucking reason. The humidity is insane and impossible to deal with. I got a dehumidifier but it obviously can't keep up with the steam a shower puts out. I'm renting so I can't really just install a proper fan and vent, the best I can do is complain endlessly. How do I look up codes in my area, and can I make enough noise with that to get what I want? Any suggestions to deal with the humidity/steam otherwise? I'm constantly keeping bacteria and mold at bay because of this shit.
>>
What type of screws and lenght for stud framing? Also do I need to pre-drill the holes to prevent cracking?
>>
>>2382854
I had kind of the same situation in my house. If you make the bathroom hot enough and leave the door open, you can let the humid air kind of vent into your house. Also it was a lot worse in winter.

But ended up installing one of those window ventilator things. Really easy and turns on/off with a humidity sensor. Your landlord should understand that mold removal or rotten wood repair is 10 times as expensive as installing a simple extractor fan, so he might just do it if you ask nicely.

Before that I rented a place once that ended up with a mold problem, but they agreed I couldn’t be held accountable, as there was no way for me to keep the humidity down, but that was in Europe
>>
File: 0cff.jpg (36 KB, 612x612)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2382542
How do I calculate the max weight supported by a shelf?
>>
>>2382916
>How do I calculate the max weight supported by a shelf?

You can't in any practical sense. Use good judgement. If you don't have good judgement, try to avoid placing your baby crib underneath the shelf loaded with barbell plates.
>>
>>2382916
make test shelf
load shelf with weights till it fails
load actual shelf with only half that.
>>
Poorfag here. Can I cut studs for framing with miter handsaw? I dont wanna waste money on electric one

How did people get the studs straight back in the days before electric shit?
>>
>>2382892
I called my city's inspection office and they agreed that this is a code violation. I'm in an apartment so I doubt it'll ever get fixed, but I love complaining and plan to do so forever now that I know I'm right, so that's nice.
>>
Can you screw gypsum wall directly on the wall? I removed the old wallpaper and too lazy to install new wallpaper
>>
>>2382874

16 penny nails, not screws
>>
File: download (20).jpg (5 KB, 224x224)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Is a neck gaitor decent against insulation dust?

I just poke my head though ceiling tiles for work to check air ducts and I gotta shove insulation out of the way and it's fucking annoying as hell having scratchy throat all the time from it.

Would that be enough to help or do I need an actual N95m
>>
>>2383026

It'll catch a lot, but if you're concerned with your health you can probably get an n95 for free at this point. It's fiberglas right? Not asbestos? D:

If it's asbestos I don't know, but I'm def sure you want something substantial.
>>
>>2383045
Fiberglass, yah I can it's just annoying AF to take off and on constantly.

But I might just idk
>>
File: 1639255058297.jpg (36 KB, 488x488)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Is painter's tape the best temporary use tape that doesn't leave behind a residue?
>>
>>2383164
do any temporary tapes leave behind residue? painter's tape is easier to remove, and some painter's tapes have a reaction with water so they seal better, but in general any normal tape will not leave behind a residue if you pull it off within a day or two.
>>
>>2383136
I’ve found that running a vacuum somewhere close already helps a lot, but yea for me gaiter (or just t shirt) works. It’s not known to be really harmful btw, just irritating
>>
>>2383164
Yes except for the special non residue masking tape that is used by art painters

>>2383169
In my experience some painters tapes do leave residue when they’ve been hot, like 100F+
>>
>>2382916
https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
>>
File: filter.jpg (577 KB, 1334x1000)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
Would it improve my homes ac performance if I were to install some water misters that would spray cold water on the radiator? I'd wire them up to come on when the fan does. I might get some temperature probes and check the refrigerant line with and without water spray.
>>
what type of circular saw should i use to cut metal? i have one made for wood, and searching online seems to bring up conflicting info.
i've used an angle grinder, but those are annoying to cut straight lines with.
>>
>>2383307
I meant to add, the metal is about 1 inch thick steel.
>>
If I wanted to use a sparkplug as the ignition system for a spud gun, how would I wire them?
>>
>>2383307
Short answer is you shouldn't. You really need an abrasive wheel and I'm not sure they make those for circular saws. I've cut thin metal sheeting by running the blades backwards but 1" is way too thick for that
>>
>>2383392
I dont know
>>
So uh, i am babby with eletrical stuff. I took high school physics and we learned watts = volts * amps right? So I'm sort of diying a living space and want to make sure I understand the circuits. If I have a 120v circuit with a 30amp breaker, does that mean the breaker trips if the power draw exceeds 3600 watts?
>>
>>2383447
>If I have a 120v circuit with a 30amp breaker, does that mean the breaker trips if the power draw exceeds 3600 watts?
yes, ideally, but this article says you only get about 80 percent of the rated value

https://www.homelectrical.com/understanding-capacity-your-circuit-breaker.6.html
>>
>>2383459
ahh very interesting. this means I should ideally aim to keep my total power draw at or below 2800w then. I was thinking about putting all the outlets in the space on one circuit for simplicity but with my gaymer pc and monitor and tv and all that gay tech shit on top of normal appliances I'd probably hit the limit fairly quick. Guess I'll draw up a new plan. Thanks
>>
>>2383447
You need to get a breaker based off of the wires in your wall, not the amount of power you want to draw.
>>
File: untitled.png (102 KB, 893x403)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>2382542
There a functional difference between a lady's foot and a rolling head pry bar? Not that I need an excuse to fill my box with more niche tooling, but wondering if one was ideal for certain tasks or if it was just personal preference. Both made by mayhew, saw at my local tool store
>>
>>2383470
an acquaintance gave me a two 100' rolls of 12/2 and also had two boxes of siemens 30 amp breakers and said he bought them for something a while back that fell through and I could have them, so I bought a siemens 100 amp main panel I found and that's what I'm working with
>>
>>2383392
Piezo gas grill igniters work great. I use one with an angle head spark plug boot as a plug tester. Run a ground wire to the plug shell and of course tape the lot so it arcs at the plug.
>>
>>2383315
6" thin kerf cutting wheels work well on plate for short cuts, and you can buy a cold saw, but what to use depends on quality of cut and how many cuts you need. If it's a lot of parts I'd do what my local shop does and have them laser or waterjetted.

1" plate is really outside saw territory except for small parts or stuff you can fit in a band saw. Consider what you're cutting to see if you're best served by a horizontal cutoff style or vertical style saw.

Post what you're doing because the question isn't as simple as it may seem. Even high end machine shops outsource when that's the smart, profitable choice.
>>
>>2383395
They make cold saws (different RPM) and all sorts of different ways to cut steel but without DETAILS it's impractical to give much useful advice.
>>
>>2383392
You need a big boy cap and 15,000 volts, hard to do unless you take an entire ignition system from a mower or something. Solution on >>2383491 is easiest, done it before. If you want to be further away from the ignition, a single Christmas light works too but they are single-use
>>
>>2382916

If your asking for screws/bolts, the shear resistance is:
V = (n * f * d^2 * pi) / (4 * g)

where:
n - number of bolts/screws
f - bolts tesile strength
d - bolt diameter
pi - 3.14
g - gravity acc. 9.81 (m/s^2)

The V is in kilos (kg) than.

There are also several other things you can calculate but I would need to some sketches.

If you're asking about the shelf itself:
Q = (2/3) * (f * w * t^2)/(l * g)

Where:
f - bending or tensile strength of the shelf material
w - witdth of the shelf
t - thickness of the shelf
l - distance between the shelves supports
g - gravity acc. 9.81 (m/s^2)

The result is in kg's
>>
When is it ok to use screws on wood studs indoors? I brought a impact driver for this shit and now people say I can only use nails
>>
I i tried making a stud frame but the wood is a bit uneven/twisted

Are these useless? Is it going to be a huge difference when I install gysiumwall?
>>
>>2383645
Nails are used for shear strength. Grade 8 mechanical fasteners are great at pulling wood together
>>
>>2383645
Always. Nails are for boomers and speed framers.
>>
>>2383635
> If your asking for screws/bolts
We’ve had a thread recently. Most wood things will fail far before a proper wall screw will fail. Also wall shelf screws are shear loaded mostly, not in tension.
>>
>>2383694
Yeah, i miss wrote that. Meant shear strength. But you can easily convert it
f/√3
>>
do mice fuck off on their own? a mouse family invaded my house 2 weeks ago and I started searching for their hiding places, cleaning junk up and now I haven't seen any for several days.
>>
>>2383767
Yes. No food is no mice, more food is more mice. They migrate to places where it’s easier to get food or starve and stop reproducing if they’re too hungry
>>
>>2382938
>How did people get the studs straight back in the days before electric shit?
Skill.
>>
>>2383692
https://snbsc-planning.com/do-not-use-screws-for-framing/#:~:text=Our%20inspectors%20have%20seen%20a,used%20to%20install%20joist%20hangers.
>>
>>2382542
Hydrogen peroxide is already diluted with water to 3% usually. It’s powerful stuff but you want commercial grade 20% at least if you want to dilute. Bleach or killz is the standard.

>>2382827 does water stand there? Then if not only reason to add rocks would be to save on topsoil.

>>2383279
Just clean it

>>2383664
Send it
>>
Best product to cover/fill peeling paint over a tin roof that’s actually a porch?
>>
>>2382938
You can use a miter box. Or you can develop mild skills-- the end of a stud doesn't have to be all that straight in order to fulfill its structural role.
But honestly, you can get a cheap used miter saw probably in the 50$ range if you check craigslist or your local fleamarket. Before power tools, people often used different construction techniques that didn't require as many cuts on as many pieces or lumber.
In other words, modern construction practices in the US revolve around the ready availability of power tools and certain industrial materials and services. If you're trying to opt out of using power tools, you should consider doing something other than stick framing.
>>
>>2382542
The focus knob on my binoculars isn't working. Whatever piece engages the knob to the piston is either missing or broken. How fix?
>>
File: IMG_6355.jpg (3.76 MB, 4032x3024)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
I converted my unfinished basement into a chill zone, but you can hear any sound or conversation from there clear as day in the rooms above it.

If I inserted wool insulation above one area, like around the tv, would that at least muffle the sound so you can't make out conversations?

This would be my first time working with insulation, I'm ignorant to the whole process
>>
>>2383635
Based load calcs
>>
>>2383279
Huh, I never thought about it,but it *should* work in theory. It would work similiar to how a swamp cooler does. Not sure how much efficiency would be gained tho
>>
>>2383819
Are there supposed to be 3 little ball bearings in those dimples that engage?
>>
>>2383777
but why?
>>
>>2383279
You'd probably gain some efficiency, depending on relative humidity, but you're probably gonna have mold problems, not to mention the legionella concern. Doing what >>2383789 said and cleaning it will probably give you more efficiency improvement than water cooling would.
tldr; not worth it. Just clean your damn evaporator coil once or twice a year.
>>
>>2383789
>>2383839
>>2383870
The picture was when I first moved in. I clean it once a year before I start using the ac. I was more curious about the efficiency part, I'm sure my house isn't insulated that well but my ac runs all the time it seems like. Once it gets around 100f outside, it actually can't keep up and the inside temp slowly creeps up all day until it's like 8f higher than I set it. It would just be a bonus if the savings in electricity were greater than the increased water bill.
>>
>>2383845
Because if you use their screws they make moar money, duh.
Stumpy Nubs on youpube did a good video on screw strength a couple of months ago.
>>
>>2383279
You're talking about the condenser coil outside, not the evap coil inside your duct system right? Yes that would improve efficiency, and it is commonly done with certain types of commercial and industrial heat exchangers.
>>
>>2383948
You might be low on charge, have you had a guy come out and check it, or check it yourself if you're got a little mechanical ability and a set of gauges. It's more than likely an r134 system, which you can use a set of automotive gauges on, but it should say either on an info tag somewhere in the unit or taped on the accumulator bottle or somewhere obvious if it's been converted to something other than factory.

HVAC isn't really that difficult with a modicum of mechanical ability and electrical knowledge, the hvacfags around here like to shroud it in smoke and ritual like it's some master artesian witchcraft bullshit, but you can train a high school dropout to do it in a semester at the community college.
>>
>>2384033
I should say, if it's *not* an r134a system, best not to fuck with the charge, r134a is super easy to get and you can rent the gauges for free with a deposit at a lot of parts stores, but the other refrigerants generally come in 30lb bottles and good luck getting those without the EPA license.
>>
>>2384033
>you can train a high school dropout to do it in a semester at the community college
well ya where else would hvac guys come from
>>
>>2383824

Just watch this. The basic solution is to put in a bunch of rockwool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pio6rNd9tAc
>>
>>2384033
>You might be low on charge
No, it's a classic undersized system. If he was low on charge, he would be freezing up the coil with how much it's running.
>>
Thinking about getting a dishwasher. There’s already a space in the cabinet for it and a hole for the hoses to go through. I just need to find if I have a water connection for it or if I need to get a plumber in. Looking in the cabinet the only thing I can see that looks remotely like a place where I can access the water supply is pic related.

Is that end knob looking thing designed to come off so that I can have a connection on the other side?
>>
Is there any way to reinforce an existing brick wall / structure? Ive got a very old detached brick garage that is making me nervous. Pushing on the wall makes some pretty terrifying sounds, mortar is pretty much gone, a few bricks have fallen out. Theres some bow to the wall if im not crazy.
>>
File: 64678_W3.jpg (61 KB, 1200x1200)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Are air sawzalls interchangeable with regular battery powered sawzalls? They seem to have a shorter stroke from all the videos ive watched
I need a cheap exhaust cutter for semis and i cant afford the dewalt/milwaukee one
>>
>>2384168
If it’s bowed you’re fucked. Don’t DIY
>>
>>2384194
what if i put some timbers up inside? Tapcon'd down into the slab
>>
>>2384100
Yes. Capped side will take fitting for water supply. Looks like standard 3/4 NIP. Hopefully that’s the hot water side. You will drain dishwasher to sink drain by installing tee tail pipe on sink and running hose. You need to power dishwasher. Some have plugs and will need to go into gfci. Others will need to be hardwired to dedicated gfci breaker preferably. This was one of my first projects in first house.
>I believe in you
>>
>>2384179
They're half the size of the smallest recip saw, if that matters to you, but they want plenty of air to run without bogging down. If you're can't afford an electric recip saw, you definitely can't afford the pneumatic one, unless you've already got a good compressor.

I've got a makita xjr01 and I love it for exhaust work. I used to use a hackzall but they're oversized garbage for what you're trying to cut, you literally cannot fit a hackzall anywhere you cannot fit a sawzall.
>>
File: DUCT-SILVER_a[1].png (294 KB, 750x750)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>>2383164
Yes, if it stays dry and out of heat. There's a stretchy silver tape here in Aus (I think pic related) that I use for protection over drains and transitions when I do epoxy flooring. Afterwards I can cook the epoxy off with a heat gun and none of the adhesive transfers off of the tape.
>>
I have a white demin jacket i wanna splash in paint to make it cool. Any ideas what kind of color i should use? I probably wont wash it
>>
>>2383812
>the end of a stud doesn't have to be all that straight in order to fulfill its structural role.

Thanks thats the kind of answer I was looking for
>>
File: 1647452583499.jpg (152 KB, 620x779)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>2383845
>>2383951

Ok im getting tired of this shit
So its okay to use screws for stud framing if its just some projects in my one home like making a closet and sound proofing my bedroom? or is it a no no? I dont wanna use screws and than the wood cracks and I have to do everything all over again. I just started learning but you people all say different things.
>>
For what u do /diy/? Do u learn all stuff by yourself?
>>
>>2384333
Checked and Yes. Raised by a single mother, didn’t have choice. It was DIY or Die.
>>
>>2384194
If they’re good timber and you know how to shore a wall. Sure that will bandaid for a while. Can you form either side and pour concrete around it? At least get a consultation if it’s part of your foundation.
>>
File: 2524180_P_SF.jpg (73 KB, 1000x929)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2382542
I have never handled one of these before, so the "continuous rim" on these type of tile blades have diamond grit bonded to the blade right?
And I should be able to slap it on a tool, spin the blade up, and sharpen carbide TIG electrodes with it correct?
>>
>>2384333
You can learn anything on the internet anon.
>>
>>2382971
>I love complaining and plan to do so forever now that I know I'm right
I bet you don't get invited anywhere twice
>>
File: 0514221118a.jpg (3.17 MB, 4160x3120)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
Had a big fucken scare. The breaker for the room is off. I looked it up and changing an outlet seemed easy enough. Should I get an electrician to check the wiring is bad or how can I tell if it was just a bad outlet+cheap adapter.
>>
File: sweaty.png (821 KB, 860x682)
821 KB
821 KB PNG
The rooftop of my house seems to be poorly insulated. I tried painting it white last Summer, but it's not even June and I'm already sweating.
I want toblock the sun while keeping the floor of the rooftop walkable. I thought pallets should do the trick. Because woods has poor thermal conductivity, it would add air space between the rooftop itself and the part where the sun rays hit.
Does it make sense? Am I missing something? Is that a good short term solution? Which would be a better medium-term solution. Assume little or no tools and relatively little time.
>>
I restore bike framess and do a lot of sanding and polishing, until now I've done most of it by hand although I use a dremel for hard to reach areas and little nooks and crannies. I'm looking for a decent rotary type sander/polisher, not looking to spend a lot but want something that will help save me time and energy on those jobs

Would buy used if it meant a better long term investment/bang for buck.
>>
>>2384575
I do this too as a hobby, but haven’t really found sanders very useful. Triangle shaped random orbital ones are okay for the rough work (I use the cheap Bosch one, it’s like $80), but what you really want is a sand blasting imo. Faster, gets everywhere, and better result. If you already have a compressor it’s cheaper than a good sander too.
>>
Where does one find small cuts of hardwood, given that my country (NL) does not have lumber yards like the US. If found some importers but they won’t sell me less than $500 worth, but all I need are small pieces maybe 25x5x2cm (10”x2”x1”). Specifically I’d want cherry, padauk, or anything with a red-brown ish tint and not too prominent grain.
>>
>>2384333
I fix things in hope I can someday learn to fix myself
>>
>>2384293
Surprised they let you guys have duct tape
>>
File: layout.png (20 KB, 288x823)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
shitty mspaint i spent way too long on
house I bought has pic related for outdoor/lawns
everything is flat, and for rough size estimate the grey walkways in the top half are 36" wide
the purple line is about a 5' high wooden fence
Is there a feasible way to transform the front (lawn #3) into an english/cottage style garden instead of just lawn, but leaving the curved poured concrete path in place? Would probably want low 2-3' stone walls along the driveway, sidewalk, and neighbor on the north side (it continues as kind of a shared lawn but we clearly mow to the edge of our respective lawns
Or would I be better off replacing lawn #2 with that instead?

I dont plan on touching lawn 4 at all. the trees provide nice shade
any suggestions would be appreciated
>>
My 107 lb TV is mounted to 2 studs on my wall. I'd like to drill a hole through one of the studs big enough to pass through several HDMI and power cords. Is this possible or would the weight of the TV cause the stud to fail once I drilled the hole?
>>
>>2384734
Why do the cables need to go through the stud?
Just hit the wall in the center of the two studs with a hammer. Job, jobbed.
>>
>>2384734
itll work just make sure you use a big enough bit, 2" should do it
>>
File: IMG_3240.jpg (750 KB, 1200x1600)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
What is the name of the soft wood that goes around a door frame? It has like zig zag cut on the ends for other pieces to fit in place.
trying to determine if its time to replace mine
>>
Just bought a ph1x3 screwdriver
Wtf does the x3 mean, and are ph1 and ph1x3 drivers the same thing
>>
File: sketch-1652582784971.png (1.3 MB, 720x1534)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>2384538
Update.
>Old outlet was absolutely fucked, literally melted some places of the metal.
>wires and interior looked good however and not burned
>Changed it out, removed a dirt, ladybugs, from area
>Installed new and the tester indicated it was correct.
>Tested other outlets in the rooms, half of them are indicting no ground, one even has reverse H/N.
>>
>>2384921
Yeah thats pretty common. For some reason electricians used to be retarded before about 20 years ago. You might want to check your breakers, some of the old cheap ones dont always trip
>>
>>2384917
Round here it’s normaly called brick mold. Depending on how rotten it is might need to replace but you’re gonna want caulk the brick mold to the jambs possibly to the concrete as well unless you have a moisture problem behind the brick and need it to escape under . I would replace the brick mold if this is your picture
>>
>>2384940
Thanks, yes this is my side door entrance. There is a screen door aluminum frame that was attached to this (where the paint color stops) which I removed for this image, The only cauk is from there to the brick edge but not one to the door frame. The bottom is rotted out so I couldnt cauk it there at that moment.

I looked up brickmold, seems close to what I have. this is about 2"x1" fingerjointed. This wood feel like somewhere between balsa and basswood, not regular pine

do I need a backer rod behind the cauk joint anywhere? some of the areas Im looking at has a 1/8-1/4" cap
>>
>>2384919
ph1 is the size of the drive, 3 is how long it is
>>
>>2384932
It's less retarded electricians and more retarded boomers doing "handyman" shit.
Not that there's any shortage of retarded electricians around, especially today, but there's way more retard boomers than electricians.
>>
>>2384932
Will do. Thanks for the tip
>>
took apart a broken mini fridge I found on the side of a road and had a bit of fun with it but it got me to thinking. Is this as small as compressor-type refrigeration gets? all the guts from the minifridge fit inside a milk crate sort of but is it possible to build a cold-plate with smaller equipment that they sell anywhere? I want to avoid peltier cooling since that sucks balls
>>
>>2384957
I still dont get it because the drive is seamlessly soldered onto the screwdriver, essentially extending it by another 10" or some shit so don't see what's the point of this 3" number
But thanks for explaining
>>
>>2384970
there are soup can sized brushless dc compressors inside modern tiny DC fridge/freezer/coolers
Pic related
>>
>>2385010
neat
>>
>>2385010
damn that is badass. Thanks anon, will see if I can buy that on amazon or some other place online. I think I can just start by googling the label
>>
File: untitled.png (95 KB, 540x540)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>2384971
Are you being retarded on purpose?
>>
>>2385019
Sorry
I'm a metricfag, did not realize how big an inch was
Thx again for explaining
>>
>>2384970
You actually want a pretty chunky setup of you're cooling a PC, they have a very high thermal load, a fridge compressor could never keep up. They only get cold because they have good insulation
>>
File: R (14).jpg (82 KB, 1024x768)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2385040
Derp
>>
File: file.png (253 KB, 1364x1282)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
i found a set of soldering iron tips at the thrift store that looked like they would fit my iron, but they're a little bit different.
my iron takes tips that look like the top one in the pic, but the ones i picked up look like the bottom one. it fits just fine, but doesn't extend as far down into the body.
would this cause any issues? i tested it and they seem to work just fine
>>
>>2385159
Soldering tips aren't high tech - it it gets hot enough to melt solder, it's fine. You could literally stick a nail in there, and make it work. Not well, but it would work.
>>
>>2385164
thanks
>>
>>2385040
Back in the days of E6600 overclocking many people would use old fridge components to build phase change cooling rigs. But maybe back then fridges were more powerful and less well insulated
>>
Where do y'all buy extension cords? I need an absolute minimum 50 foot, but would like 100 foot cord and they're expensive as FUCK for copper like damn
>>
File: file.png (42 KB, 1200x925)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
If a concrete driveway is directly touching the side of a house, should it be open to allow drainage or sealed at the meeting spot?, the gap is about 1/4" currently
>>
>>2385179
They're not continupus rated either and op was gonna use the smallest pump he could find sounded like. It'll burn out.

Phase change cool8ng is possible but expect a lot of trouble ifnyou go with the smallest mini-fridge you can find. Figure out the heat load of your processor and the capability of your cooling system, just like anything else.
>>
>>2385270
Water drains away from the house? I've always caulked mine
>>
>>2385245
I just ask the boss for 100 feet of spare cable and buy a plug and receptacle.
>>
File: IMG_20220515_154823.jpg (3.66 MB, 3120x3120)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
What kind of paint can I use to paint over my rusty shed?
>>
>>2385600
>"rusty shed"
>no rust is visible
Is that even steel, or is it aluminum?
>>
>>2385604
The roof is all rusty.
>>
>>2385607
You sure that's not paint mate, little too consistent in the colour to be rust
>>
>>2385607
Looks more like a brown powdercoat to me.
>>
Whats the best thing to reduce heat from sunlight through windows? Blackout curtains?
>>
>>2385651
Tin foil pressed right up against the glass.
>>
>>2385660
And if I don't want my neighbors to think I'm a schizo?
>>
File: Awning-Installation.jpg (167 KB, 1121x817)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>2385662
Aluminum awning.
>>
>>2385664
And if it's an apartment?
>>
>>2385668
Walmart sells blackout curtains for $20.
>>
>>2385662
You asked for the best thing, not the most sociable.
>>
>>2385245
Just eat it. Walmart is often the cheapest for shit like that unless you can find a good sale at HF or some holiday clearance ones in the back of Lowe’s or Home Depot. Northern Tool often has good prices on their website and they’ll match it in-store if you have one nearby. Buy em and try not to fuck them up. I don’t know if you’re going to find much better online because copper costs what copper costs.

>tfw rented this house for like 3 years, the owners changed twice and sold it out from under me, walked out with some nice heavy duty closet racks, a couple 100ft good extension cords that were there when I moved in, and a 4ft light fixture from the garage. Didn’t realize what a deal the free cords were until I needed them.
>>
>>2385245
You can get a nice 100ft 12/3 sjoow extension cord for about $120, that's the next best thing to indestructible, and will last you decades if you take care of it. You can cheap out and get sjeoow cord instead, but you'd only be saving about $15 and have much less abrasion resistance.
>>2385684
Don't get some garbage wally world aluminum 16ga cable. Spend a little more money and get something a million times better.
>>
>>2385684
>>2385693
Got a 12/3 for $80 from Menards. Guess you're right about eating the cost. Just get a good one and don't fuck it up
>>
>>2384554
Bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.