[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1620006908507.png (300 KB, 657x636)
300 KB
300 KB PNG
Stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread.

previous thread hit bump limit >>2373194

Will hydrogen peroxide and water kill crawlspace mold or should I go bleach?
>>
>>2382542
> Will hydrogen peroxide and water kill crawlspace mold or should I go bleach?

Yes but doesn’t matter if you’re not doing anything to prevent it from growing back.
>>
>>2382542
I want to use regular wood glue to glue 2x4s into a small panel. Then I want to burn the entire surface for looks.
Is there a problem with that, i e. will the glue melt or something like that?
>>
File: OIP (31).jpg (30 KB, 474x313)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>2382821
the glue will fail over time, if you put a small pice of metal between the board and hit the wood with a hammer it will mark them so you can make a pocket fill with glue and shove in a dowel.
>>
Have a low area in my yard I want to put some fill in. It’s currently a garden and mostly dirt. Should I put a layer of stone down before I cover it with soil? Also what types of water absorbing plants should I put in there.
>>
in the US, shouldn't bathrooms have an extractor fan or window, by code or some shit? I don't have a window, and the "extraction" fan is just a fan that blows air back into the bathroom through a filter for some fucking reason. The humidity is insane and impossible to deal with. I got a dehumidifier but it obviously can't keep up with the steam a shower puts out. I'm renting so I can't really just install a proper fan and vent, the best I can do is complain endlessly. How do I look up codes in my area, and can I make enough noise with that to get what I want? Any suggestions to deal with the humidity/steam otherwise? I'm constantly keeping bacteria and mold at bay because of this shit.
>>
What type of screws and lenght for stud framing? Also do I need to pre-drill the holes to prevent cracking?
>>
>>2382854
I had kind of the same situation in my house. If you make the bathroom hot enough and leave the door open, you can let the humid air kind of vent into your house. Also it was a lot worse in winter.

But ended up installing one of those window ventilator things. Really easy and turns on/off with a humidity sensor. Your landlord should understand that mold removal or rotten wood repair is 10 times as expensive as installing a simple extractor fan, so he might just do it if you ask nicely.

Before that I rented a place once that ended up with a mold problem, but they agreed I couldn’t be held accountable, as there was no way for me to keep the humidity down, but that was in Europe
>>
File: 0cff.jpg (36 KB, 612x612)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2382542
How do I calculate the max weight supported by a shelf?
>>
>>2382916
>How do I calculate the max weight supported by a shelf?

You can't in any practical sense. Use good judgement. If you don't have good judgement, try to avoid placing your baby crib underneath the shelf loaded with barbell plates.
>>
>>2382916
make test shelf
load shelf with weights till it fails
load actual shelf with only half that.
>>
Poorfag here. Can I cut studs for framing with miter handsaw? I dont wanna waste money on electric one

How did people get the studs straight back in the days before electric shit?
>>
>>2382892
I called my city's inspection office and they agreed that this is a code violation. I'm in an apartment so I doubt it'll ever get fixed, but I love complaining and plan to do so forever now that I know I'm right, so that's nice.
>>
Can you screw gypsum wall directly on the wall? I removed the old wallpaper and too lazy to install new wallpaper
>>
>>2382874

16 penny nails, not screws
>>
File: download (20).jpg (5 KB, 224x224)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Is a neck gaitor decent against insulation dust?

I just poke my head though ceiling tiles for work to check air ducts and I gotta shove insulation out of the way and it's fucking annoying as hell having scratchy throat all the time from it.

Would that be enough to help or do I need an actual N95m
>>
>>2383026

It'll catch a lot, but if you're concerned with your health you can probably get an n95 for free at this point. It's fiberglas right? Not asbestos? D:

If it's asbestos I don't know, but I'm def sure you want something substantial.
>>
>>2383045
Fiberglass, yah I can it's just annoying AF to take off and on constantly.

But I might just idk
>>
File: 1639255058297.jpg (36 KB, 488x488)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Is painter's tape the best temporary use tape that doesn't leave behind a residue?
>>
>>2383164
do any temporary tapes leave behind residue? painter's tape is easier to remove, and some painter's tapes have a reaction with water so they seal better, but in general any normal tape will not leave behind a residue if you pull it off within a day or two.
>>
>>2383136
I’ve found that running a vacuum somewhere close already helps a lot, but yea for me gaiter (or just t shirt) works. It’s not known to be really harmful btw, just irritating
>>
>>2383164
Yes except for the special non residue masking tape that is used by art painters

>>2383169
In my experience some painters tapes do leave residue when they’ve been hot, like 100F+
>>
>>2382916
https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
>>
File: filter.jpg (577 KB, 1334x1000)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
Would it improve my homes ac performance if I were to install some water misters that would spray cold water on the radiator? I'd wire them up to come on when the fan does. I might get some temperature probes and check the refrigerant line with and without water spray.
>>
what type of circular saw should i use to cut metal? i have one made for wood, and searching online seems to bring up conflicting info.
i've used an angle grinder, but those are annoying to cut straight lines with.
>>
>>2383307
I meant to add, the metal is about 1 inch thick steel.
>>
If I wanted to use a sparkplug as the ignition system for a spud gun, how would I wire them?
>>
>>2383307
Short answer is you shouldn't. You really need an abrasive wheel and I'm not sure they make those for circular saws. I've cut thin metal sheeting by running the blades backwards but 1" is way too thick for that
>>
>>2383392
I dont know
>>
So uh, i am babby with eletrical stuff. I took high school physics and we learned watts = volts * amps right? So I'm sort of diying a living space and want to make sure I understand the circuits. If I have a 120v circuit with a 30amp breaker, does that mean the breaker trips if the power draw exceeds 3600 watts?
>>
>>2383447
>If I have a 120v circuit with a 30amp breaker, does that mean the breaker trips if the power draw exceeds 3600 watts?
yes, ideally, but this article says you only get about 80 percent of the rated value

https://www.homelectrical.com/understanding-capacity-your-circuit-breaker.6.html
>>
>>2383459
ahh very interesting. this means I should ideally aim to keep my total power draw at or below 2800w then. I was thinking about putting all the outlets in the space on one circuit for simplicity but with my gaymer pc and monitor and tv and all that gay tech shit on top of normal appliances I'd probably hit the limit fairly quick. Guess I'll draw up a new plan. Thanks
>>
>>2383447
You need to get a breaker based off of the wires in your wall, not the amount of power you want to draw.
>>
File: untitled.png (102 KB, 893x403)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>2382542
There a functional difference between a lady's foot and a rolling head pry bar? Not that I need an excuse to fill my box with more niche tooling, but wondering if one was ideal for certain tasks or if it was just personal preference. Both made by mayhew, saw at my local tool store
>>
>>2383470
an acquaintance gave me a two 100' rolls of 12/2 and also had two boxes of siemens 30 amp breakers and said he bought them for something a while back that fell through and I could have them, so I bought a siemens 100 amp main panel I found and that's what I'm working with
>>
>>2383392
Piezo gas grill igniters work great. I use one with an angle head spark plug boot as a plug tester. Run a ground wire to the plug shell and of course tape the lot so it arcs at the plug.
>>
>>2383315
6" thin kerf cutting wheels work well on plate for short cuts, and you can buy a cold saw, but what to use depends on quality of cut and how many cuts you need. If it's a lot of parts I'd do what my local shop does and have them laser or waterjetted.

1" plate is really outside saw territory except for small parts or stuff you can fit in a band saw. Consider what you're cutting to see if you're best served by a horizontal cutoff style or vertical style saw.

Post what you're doing because the question isn't as simple as it may seem. Even high end machine shops outsource when that's the smart, profitable choice.
>>
>>2383395
They make cold saws (different RPM) and all sorts of different ways to cut steel but without DETAILS it's impractical to give much useful advice.
>>
>>2383392
You need a big boy cap and 15,000 volts, hard to do unless you take an entire ignition system from a mower or something. Solution on >>2383491 is easiest, done it before. If you want to be further away from the ignition, a single Christmas light works too but they are single-use
>>
>>2382916

If your asking for screws/bolts, the shear resistance is:
V = (n * f * d^2 * pi) / (4 * g)

where:
n - number of bolts/screws
f - bolts tesile strength
d - bolt diameter
pi - 3.14
g - gravity acc. 9.81 (m/s^2)

The V is in kilos (kg) than.

There are also several other things you can calculate but I would need to some sketches.

If you're asking about the shelf itself:
Q = (2/3) * (f * w * t^2)/(l * g)

Where:
f - bending or tensile strength of the shelf material
w - witdth of the shelf
t - thickness of the shelf
l - distance between the shelves supports
g - gravity acc. 9.81 (m/s^2)

The result is in kg's
>>
When is it ok to use screws on wood studs indoors? I brought a impact driver for this shit and now people say I can only use nails
>>
I i tried making a stud frame but the wood is a bit uneven/twisted

Are these useless? Is it going to be a huge difference when I install gysiumwall?
>>
>>2383645
Nails are used for shear strength. Grade 8 mechanical fasteners are great at pulling wood together
>>
>>2383645
Always. Nails are for boomers and speed framers.
>>
>>2383635
> If your asking for screws/bolts
We’ve had a thread recently. Most wood things will fail far before a proper wall screw will fail. Also wall shelf screws are shear loaded mostly, not in tension.
>>
>>2383694
Yeah, i miss wrote that. Meant shear strength. But you can easily convert it
f/√3
>>
do mice fuck off on their own? a mouse family invaded my house 2 weeks ago and I started searching for their hiding places, cleaning junk up and now I haven't seen any for several days.
>>
>>2383767
Yes. No food is no mice, more food is more mice. They migrate to places where it’s easier to get food or starve and stop reproducing if they’re too hungry
>>
>>2382938
>How did people get the studs straight back in the days before electric shit?
Skill.
>>
>>2383692
https://snbsc-planning.com/do-not-use-screws-for-framing/#:~:text=Our%20inspectors%20have%20seen%20a,used%20to%20install%20joist%20hangers.
>>
>>2382542
Hydrogen peroxide is already diluted with water to 3% usually. It’s powerful stuff but you want commercial grade 20% at least if you want to dilute. Bleach or killz is the standard.

>>2382827 does water stand there? Then if not only reason to add rocks would be to save on topsoil.

>>2383279
Just clean it

>>2383664
Send it
>>
Best product to cover/fill peeling paint over a tin roof that’s actually a porch?
>>
>>2382938
You can use a miter box. Or you can develop mild skills-- the end of a stud doesn't have to be all that straight in order to fulfill its structural role.
But honestly, you can get a cheap used miter saw probably in the 50$ range if you check craigslist or your local fleamarket. Before power tools, people often used different construction techniques that didn't require as many cuts on as many pieces or lumber.
In other words, modern construction practices in the US revolve around the ready availability of power tools and certain industrial materials and services. If you're trying to opt out of using power tools, you should consider doing something other than stick framing.
>>
>>2382542
The focus knob on my binoculars isn't working. Whatever piece engages the knob to the piston is either missing or broken. How fix?
>>
File: IMG_6355.jpg (3.76 MB, 4032x3024)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
I converted my unfinished basement into a chill zone, but you can hear any sound or conversation from there clear as day in the rooms above it.

If I inserted wool insulation above one area, like around the tv, would that at least muffle the sound so you can't make out conversations?

This would be my first time working with insulation, I'm ignorant to the whole process
>>
>>2383635
Based load calcs
>>
>>2383279
Huh, I never thought about it,but it *should* work in theory. It would work similiar to how a swamp cooler does. Not sure how much efficiency would be gained tho
>>
>>2383819
Are there supposed to be 3 little ball bearings in those dimples that engage?
>>
>>2383777
but why?
>>
>>2383279
You'd probably gain some efficiency, depending on relative humidity, but you're probably gonna have mold problems, not to mention the legionella concern. Doing what >>2383789 said and cleaning it will probably give you more efficiency improvement than water cooling would.
tldr; not worth it. Just clean your damn evaporator coil once or twice a year.
>>
>>2383789
>>2383839
>>2383870
The picture was when I first moved in. I clean it once a year before I start using the ac. I was more curious about the efficiency part, I'm sure my house isn't insulated that well but my ac runs all the time it seems like. Once it gets around 100f outside, it actually can't keep up and the inside temp slowly creeps up all day until it's like 8f higher than I set it. It would just be a bonus if the savings in electricity were greater than the increased water bill.
>>
>>2383845
Because if you use their screws they make moar money, duh.
Stumpy Nubs on youpube did a good video on screw strength a couple of months ago.
>>
>>2383279
You're talking about the condenser coil outside, not the evap coil inside your duct system right? Yes that would improve efficiency, and it is commonly done with certain types of commercial and industrial heat exchangers.
>>
>>2383948
You might be low on charge, have you had a guy come out and check it, or check it yourself if you're got a little mechanical ability and a set of gauges. It's more than likely an r134 system, which you can use a set of automotive gauges on, but it should say either on an info tag somewhere in the unit or taped on the accumulator bottle or somewhere obvious if it's been converted to something other than factory.

HVAC isn't really that difficult with a modicum of mechanical ability and electrical knowledge, the hvacfags around here like to shroud it in smoke and ritual like it's some master artesian witchcraft bullshit, but you can train a high school dropout to do it in a semester at the community college.
>>
>>2384033
I should say, if it's *not* an r134a system, best not to fuck with the charge, r134a is super easy to get and you can rent the gauges for free with a deposit at a lot of parts stores, but the other refrigerants generally come in 30lb bottles and good luck getting those without the EPA license.
>>
>>2384033
>you can train a high school dropout to do it in a semester at the community college
well ya where else would hvac guys come from
>>
>>2383824

Just watch this. The basic solution is to put in a bunch of rockwool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pio6rNd9tAc
>>
>>2384033
>You might be low on charge
No, it's a classic undersized system. If he was low on charge, he would be freezing up the coil with how much it's running.
>>
Thinking about getting a dishwasher. There’s already a space in the cabinet for it and a hole for the hoses to go through. I just need to find if I have a water connection for it or if I need to get a plumber in. Looking in the cabinet the only thing I can see that looks remotely like a place where I can access the water supply is pic related.

Is that end knob looking thing designed to come off so that I can have a connection on the other side?
>>
Is there any way to reinforce an existing brick wall / structure? Ive got a very old detached brick garage that is making me nervous. Pushing on the wall makes some pretty terrifying sounds, mortar is pretty much gone, a few bricks have fallen out. Theres some bow to the wall if im not crazy.
>>
File: 64678_W3.jpg (61 KB, 1200x1200)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Are air sawzalls interchangeable with regular battery powered sawzalls? They seem to have a shorter stroke from all the videos ive watched
I need a cheap exhaust cutter for semis and i cant afford the dewalt/milwaukee one
>>
>>2384168
If it’s bowed you’re fucked. Don’t DIY
>>
>>2384194
what if i put some timbers up inside? Tapcon'd down into the slab
>>
>>2384100
Yes. Capped side will take fitting for water supply. Looks like standard 3/4 NIP. Hopefully that’s the hot water side. You will drain dishwasher to sink drain by installing tee tail pipe on sink and running hose. You need to power dishwasher. Some have plugs and will need to go into gfci. Others will need to be hardwired to dedicated gfci breaker preferably. This was one of my first projects in first house.
>I believe in you
>>
>>2384179
They're half the size of the smallest recip saw, if that matters to you, but they want plenty of air to run without bogging down. If you're can't afford an electric recip saw, you definitely can't afford the pneumatic one, unless you've already got a good compressor.

I've got a makita xjr01 and I love it for exhaust work. I used to use a hackzall but they're oversized garbage for what you're trying to cut, you literally cannot fit a hackzall anywhere you cannot fit a sawzall.
>>
File: DUCT-SILVER_a[1].png (294 KB, 750x750)
294 KB
294 KB PNG
>>2383164
Yes, if it stays dry and out of heat. There's a stretchy silver tape here in Aus (I think pic related) that I use for protection over drains and transitions when I do epoxy flooring. Afterwards I can cook the epoxy off with a heat gun and none of the adhesive transfers off of the tape.
>>
I have a white demin jacket i wanna splash in paint to make it cool. Any ideas what kind of color i should use? I probably wont wash it
>>
>>2383812
>the end of a stud doesn't have to be all that straight in order to fulfill its structural role.

Thanks thats the kind of answer I was looking for
>>
File: 1647452583499.jpg (152 KB, 620x779)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>2383845
>>2383951

Ok im getting tired of this shit
So its okay to use screws for stud framing if its just some projects in my one home like making a closet and sound proofing my bedroom? or is it a no no? I dont wanna use screws and than the wood cracks and I have to do everything all over again. I just started learning but you people all say different things.
>>
For what u do /diy/? Do u learn all stuff by yourself?
>>
>>2384333
Checked and Yes. Raised by a single mother, didn’t have choice. It was DIY or Die.
>>
>>2384194
If they’re good timber and you know how to shore a wall. Sure that will bandaid for a while. Can you form either side and pour concrete around it? At least get a consultation if it’s part of your foundation.
>>
File: 2524180_P_SF.jpg (73 KB, 1000x929)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2382542
I have never handled one of these before, so the "continuous rim" on these type of tile blades have diamond grit bonded to the blade right?
And I should be able to slap it on a tool, spin the blade up, and sharpen carbide TIG electrodes with it correct?
>>
>>2384333
You can learn anything on the internet anon.
>>
>>2382971
>I love complaining and plan to do so forever now that I know I'm right
I bet you don't get invited anywhere twice
>>
File: 0514221118a.jpg (3.17 MB, 4160x3120)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
Had a big fucken scare. The breaker for the room is off. I looked it up and changing an outlet seemed easy enough. Should I get an electrician to check the wiring is bad or how can I tell if it was just a bad outlet+cheap adapter.
>>
File: sweaty.png (821 KB, 860x682)
821 KB
821 KB PNG
The rooftop of my house seems to be poorly insulated. I tried painting it white last Summer, but it's not even June and I'm already sweating.
I want toblock the sun while keeping the floor of the rooftop walkable. I thought pallets should do the trick. Because woods has poor thermal conductivity, it would add air space between the rooftop itself and the part where the sun rays hit.
Does it make sense? Am I missing something? Is that a good short term solution? Which would be a better medium-term solution. Assume little or no tools and relatively little time.
>>
I restore bike framess and do a lot of sanding and polishing, until now I've done most of it by hand although I use a dremel for hard to reach areas and little nooks and crannies. I'm looking for a decent rotary type sander/polisher, not looking to spend a lot but want something that will help save me time and energy on those jobs

Would buy used if it meant a better long term investment/bang for buck.
>>
>>2384575
I do this too as a hobby, but haven’t really found sanders very useful. Triangle shaped random orbital ones are okay for the rough work (I use the cheap Bosch one, it’s like $80), but what you really want is a sand blasting imo. Faster, gets everywhere, and better result. If you already have a compressor it’s cheaper than a good sander too.
>>
Where does one find small cuts of hardwood, given that my country (NL) does not have lumber yards like the US. If found some importers but they won’t sell me less than $500 worth, but all I need are small pieces maybe 25x5x2cm (10”x2”x1”). Specifically I’d want cherry, padauk, or anything with a red-brown ish tint and not too prominent grain.
>>
>>2384333
I fix things in hope I can someday learn to fix myself
>>
>>2384293
Surprised they let you guys have duct tape
>>
File: layout.png (20 KB, 288x823)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
shitty mspaint i spent way too long on
house I bought has pic related for outdoor/lawns
everything is flat, and for rough size estimate the grey walkways in the top half are 36" wide
the purple line is about a 5' high wooden fence
Is there a feasible way to transform the front (lawn #3) into an english/cottage style garden instead of just lawn, but leaving the curved poured concrete path in place? Would probably want low 2-3' stone walls along the driveway, sidewalk, and neighbor on the north side (it continues as kind of a shared lawn but we clearly mow to the edge of our respective lawns
Or would I be better off replacing lawn #2 with that instead?

I dont plan on touching lawn 4 at all. the trees provide nice shade
any suggestions would be appreciated
>>
My 107 lb TV is mounted to 2 studs on my wall. I'd like to drill a hole through one of the studs big enough to pass through several HDMI and power cords. Is this possible or would the weight of the TV cause the stud to fail once I drilled the hole?
>>
>>2384734
Why do the cables need to go through the stud?
Just hit the wall in the center of the two studs with a hammer. Job, jobbed.
>>
>>2384734
itll work just make sure you use a big enough bit, 2" should do it
>>
File: IMG_3240.jpg (750 KB, 1200x1600)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
What is the name of the soft wood that goes around a door frame? It has like zig zag cut on the ends for other pieces to fit in place.
trying to determine if its time to replace mine
>>
Just bought a ph1x3 screwdriver
Wtf does the x3 mean, and are ph1 and ph1x3 drivers the same thing
>>
File: sketch-1652582784971.png (1.3 MB, 720x1534)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>2384538
Update.
>Old outlet was absolutely fucked, literally melted some places of the metal.
>wires and interior looked good however and not burned
>Changed it out, removed a dirt, ladybugs, from area
>Installed new and the tester indicated it was correct.
>Tested other outlets in the rooms, half of them are indicting no ground, one even has reverse H/N.
>>
>>2384921
Yeah thats pretty common. For some reason electricians used to be retarded before about 20 years ago. You might want to check your breakers, some of the old cheap ones dont always trip
>>
>>2384917
Round here it’s normaly called brick mold. Depending on how rotten it is might need to replace but you’re gonna want caulk the brick mold to the jambs possibly to the concrete as well unless you have a moisture problem behind the brick and need it to escape under . I would replace the brick mold if this is your picture
>>
>>2384940
Thanks, yes this is my side door entrance. There is a screen door aluminum frame that was attached to this (where the paint color stops) which I removed for this image, The only cauk is from there to the brick edge but not one to the door frame. The bottom is rotted out so I couldnt cauk it there at that moment.

I looked up brickmold, seems close to what I have. this is about 2"x1" fingerjointed. This wood feel like somewhere between balsa and basswood, not regular pine

do I need a backer rod behind the cauk joint anywhere? some of the areas Im looking at has a 1/8-1/4" cap
>>
>>2384919
ph1 is the size of the drive, 3 is how long it is
>>
>>2384932
It's less retarded electricians and more retarded boomers doing "handyman" shit.
Not that there's any shortage of retarded electricians around, especially today, but there's way more retard boomers than electricians.
>>
>>2384932
Will do. Thanks for the tip
>>
took apart a broken mini fridge I found on the side of a road and had a bit of fun with it but it got me to thinking. Is this as small as compressor-type refrigeration gets? all the guts from the minifridge fit inside a milk crate sort of but is it possible to build a cold-plate with smaller equipment that they sell anywhere? I want to avoid peltier cooling since that sucks balls
>>
>>2384957
I still dont get it because the drive is seamlessly soldered onto the screwdriver, essentially extending it by another 10" or some shit so don't see what's the point of this 3" number
But thanks for explaining
>>
>>2384970
there are soup can sized brushless dc compressors inside modern tiny DC fridge/freezer/coolers
Pic related
>>
>>2385010
neat
>>
>>2385010
damn that is badass. Thanks anon, will see if I can buy that on amazon or some other place online. I think I can just start by googling the label
>>
File: untitled.png (95 KB, 540x540)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>2384971
Are you being retarded on purpose?
>>
>>2385019
Sorry
I'm a metricfag, did not realize how big an inch was
Thx again for explaining
>>
>>2384970
You actually want a pretty chunky setup of you're cooling a PC, they have a very high thermal load, a fridge compressor could never keep up. They only get cold because they have good insulation
>>
File: R (14).jpg (82 KB, 1024x768)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>2385040
Derp
>>
File: file.png (253 KB, 1364x1282)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
i found a set of soldering iron tips at the thrift store that looked like they would fit my iron, but they're a little bit different.
my iron takes tips that look like the top one in the pic, but the ones i picked up look like the bottom one. it fits just fine, but doesn't extend as far down into the body.
would this cause any issues? i tested it and they seem to work just fine
>>
>>2385159
Soldering tips aren't high tech - it it gets hot enough to melt solder, it's fine. You could literally stick a nail in there, and make it work. Not well, but it would work.
>>
>>2385164
thanks
>>
>>2385040
Back in the days of E6600 overclocking many people would use old fridge components to build phase change cooling rigs. But maybe back then fridges were more powerful and less well insulated
>>
Where do y'all buy extension cords? I need an absolute minimum 50 foot, but would like 100 foot cord and they're expensive as FUCK for copper like damn
>>
File: file.png (42 KB, 1200x925)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
If a concrete driveway is directly touching the side of a house, should it be open to allow drainage or sealed at the meeting spot?, the gap is about 1/4" currently
>>
>>2385179
They're not continupus rated either and op was gonna use the smallest pump he could find sounded like. It'll burn out.

Phase change cool8ng is possible but expect a lot of trouble ifnyou go with the smallest mini-fridge you can find. Figure out the heat load of your processor and the capability of your cooling system, just like anything else.
>>
>>2385270
Water drains away from the house? I've always caulked mine
>>
>>2385245
I just ask the boss for 100 feet of spare cable and buy a plug and receptacle.
>>
File: IMG_20220515_154823.jpg (3.66 MB, 3120x3120)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
What kind of paint can I use to paint over my rusty shed?
>>
>>2385600
>"rusty shed"
>no rust is visible
Is that even steel, or is it aluminum?
>>
>>2385604
The roof is all rusty.
>>
>>2385607
You sure that's not paint mate, little too consistent in the colour to be rust
>>
>>2385607
Looks more like a brown powdercoat to me.
>>
Whats the best thing to reduce heat from sunlight through windows? Blackout curtains?
>>
>>2385651
Tin foil pressed right up against the glass.
>>
>>2385660
And if I don't want my neighbors to think I'm a schizo?
>>
File: Awning-Installation.jpg (167 KB, 1121x817)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>2385662
Aluminum awning.
>>
>>2385664
And if it's an apartment?
>>
>>2385668
Walmart sells blackout curtains for $20.
>>
>>2385662
You asked for the best thing, not the most sociable.
>>
>>2385245
Just eat it. Walmart is often the cheapest for shit like that unless you can find a good sale at HF or some holiday clearance ones in the back of Lowe’s or Home Depot. Northern Tool often has good prices on their website and they’ll match it in-store if you have one nearby. Buy em and try not to fuck them up. I don’t know if you’re going to find much better online because copper costs what copper costs.

>tfw rented this house for like 3 years, the owners changed twice and sold it out from under me, walked out with some nice heavy duty closet racks, a couple 100ft good extension cords that were there when I moved in, and a 4ft light fixture from the garage. Didn’t realize what a deal the free cords were until I needed them.
>>
>>2385245
You can get a nice 100ft 12/3 sjoow extension cord for about $120, that's the next best thing to indestructible, and will last you decades if you take care of it. You can cheap out and get sjeoow cord instead, but you'd only be saving about $15 and have much less abrasion resistance.
>>2385684
Don't get some garbage wally world aluminum 16ga cable. Spend a little more money and get something a million times better.
>>
>>2385684
>>2385693
Got a 12/3 for $80 from Menards. Guess you're right about eating the cost. Just get a good one and don't fuck it up
>>
>>2384554
Bump
>>
What flooring types would be easy to install and wouldn't cause problems with an uneven subsurface?

I have a small room with wood floor that used to be covered in linoleum that I'd like to make a bit more presentable. It's not a finished hardwood floor or anything like that, it's just planks with like 3-5mm gaps. I want something quick and easy to install and not too expensive. Regular carpet is the obvious choice, I was also considering rubber backed carpet tiles, I saw them being installed in the office at work and they seem neat. But in general I would prefer something else to carpet, I definitely don't want linoleum, composite wood paneling would be neat but it feels like it would take a bit too much effort with all the cutting to size, and there might be issues because the floor is not perfectly flat? This is a temporary solution for 2-3 years before the house gets sold.
>>
What airbrush and compressor should I get for spraying metal window frames? It's very urgent.
>>
Anyone have recs for products to seal a leaky diesel transfer tank? The tank in my bed rusted out on the bottom after seceral years. I surface prepped the bottom with a wire wheel and an acid prep, no obvious holes so I put some water in it and it weeped out. There isn’t anyone local who’s competent enough at welding to put a new bottom on. So here I am looking at JB Weld and flex seal. I’d like to not have to spend $800-$1200 for a new tank especially when it costs nearly that much to fill it.
>>
>>2385848
Faux wood laminate flooring is easy to install, cheap, and looks decent enough. They lock together easy and cutting for fit at the wall can be done with a utility knife and a little muscle but a saw is much better. If you’re worried about the uneven floor you could screw down plywood over the planks over the whole room to take up some of the unevenness.
>>
If you make a small room divider from wood beams and after putting drywall/gysium on each side, to you also install drywall on the small side thats not againstt the wall? the parts that you like 7-9 cm wide
>>
>>2385879
if you cant find the hole then definitely try the tank sealer. If you know where its coming from you can solder/braze a patch.
>>
>>2385848
How uneven are we talking?
>>
>>2385958
>How uneven are we talking?
maybe 2mm plank to plank in the worst spot
>>
>>2382542
I’m thinking of getting into dioramas. Anyone know good sites to get a variety of figurines? I’m thinking of a wildfire scene with wildland firefighters but all I can find are fantasy characters, cowboys and indians, and world war soldiers. I can probably mock the firefighters up from something else but I don’t know where to start.
>>
Should there be a gap in stud frame and ceiling? Or should you have the same height as the ceiling when you do the shit on the floor and need to raise it later
>>
>>2384575
Sand blaster will change your life. You can diy a station easy and you’ll never use sandpaper again. Compressor is the biggest req.
>>
>>2385604
Rustoleum professional oil based paint will do the trick. Just scrape, brush and or powerwash first
I only know because I asked a similar question further up the thread and had to figure it out myself.
>>
>>2385600
Rustoleum professional oil based paint will do the trick. Just scrape, brush and or powerwash first
I only know because I asked a similar question further up the thread and had to figure it out myself.
Sorry, Replied to wrong reply.
>>
>>2382542
Looking to make carbon fiber panels. Wet layup vs vacuum bagging vs resin infusion, what are the advantages of each in terms of finished product, cost, difficulty, etc etc?
>>
>>2385997
Ideal solution is getting a resin 3D printer, but if don't mind the scale, there should be plenty of civilian figures available for model train sets.
>>
>>2386017
I found this in the paint cabinet.
>>
File: IMG_20220516_105123.jpg (3.27 MB, 3120x3120)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB JPG
>>2386083
>>2386017
>>2385600
>>
If i damp my twisted beams with water and put weight on it is it going to straighten?
>>
I'm trying to clean a mystery cube thing I found on the beach. Sanding makes minimal progress, vinegar and baking soda likewise worked a little but not much, pressure washing did nothing. I know if I just keep sanding day after day I'll make progress but is there an easier way to do it?
Also, does anyone know what it is? It was wrapped up with kelp by some driftwood and my friend with state parks said it wasn't anything they use and I could take it so I did.
>>
>>2386085
make sure the primer is uv stable.

some primers for cars i work with would peel off after a few weeks in the sun.
they need to be coated over with a topcoat.
>>
File: 16393999867850.jpg (49 KB, 550x400)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
how come tool manufacturers have made wooden handle screwdrivers but never pliers in the past?
wouldn't the wood make a great way to avoid slipping with oil and stuff?
>>
>>2385879
jb weld will last 6 months at best
get a new tank
>>
File: 1633704460939.jpg (1.41 MB, 2000x1754)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>2382542
Should I put down money to get forklift certified or should I watch youtube videos and lie on my resume? I want to work in a warehouse but I have no life experience.
>>
What is the proper way to check the oil level on a lawn mower type engine that has a screw in dipstick? Are you supposed to fully screw it in and then unscrew it to check oil level, or just push the dipstick in until the threads hit and then pull back out?
>>
>>2386122
Get it sand blasted.
>>
>>2386141
It appears that one should read the manual. Imagine that.
>>
>>2386154
Joke's on you, I just checked it and said to not screw it in. lul
>>
Combating mosquitoes in my yard with Bifen. I do not want to get the fogger backpack for 220. Do you think I could just use a paint sprayer instead? Would rather get a cheap paint sprayer than a once a year use $200+ fogger
>>
Did any of you try hot bluing? I see this restorations guy on YouTube do it all the time, but he heats the part and not the solution (whereas most sources say the solution should be boiling). Also is it correct that it only protects from rust/corrosion if the part never gets dented or scratched? I’ve never seen anything that was blued irl (we don’t have guns) and was wondering how strong this coating is
>>
>>2386225
What do you need it for? There are better coatings.
>>
>>2386228
Small metal parts on a desktop robot I’m building. It seems easy and I hate painting
>>
>>2386231
are you doing it for corrosion resistance, or just aesthetic? Is wear resistance a factor at all?

I'd look into coatings used in knifemaking, I know some of them can be applied with reasonably low effort.
>>
>>2386146
If I just bring it back to the beach and point a leafblower at it will that work
cuz I have a leafblower and a beach full of sand
>>
>>2382542
What's the best way to (electromechanically) generate a moderate amount of force in a small package? I was thinking a push/pull solenoid might work but the ones on the scale I'm looking at only create ~0.2N-0.5N of starting force.
>>
>>2386253
lol no unless you do it for a year maybe. going to need something to propel the sand
>>
File: dremel kit.jpg (307 KB, 1245x1500)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
I have to drill out a small screw from a piece of plastic, its about an inch long with a 3mm allen head. its pretty small.

which of these bits would i use to remove the metal material? does this tool work like a mini angle grinder with those tiny cutoff wheel discs?

Anything i should not when using this $9.99 piece of crap? give the motor lots of little rests breaks? wear saftey glasses?
>>
>>2386270
Alright then, I'll talk to the painting guy who lives down the street I think he has a sandblaster. I'm trying zud with a potato scrub and it's working better than vinegar and wire brush
>>
>>2386122
thats a nice cube
>>
>>2386325
I still have no idea what it is.
>>
>>2386122
dip it in evaporust
Fill a small shallow container and do one side at a time
>>
>>2386330
cube trap
cubes can get in but they cant get out
>>
>>2386244
Against and pretty color mostly but the parts may take some hits from small tools sometimes

>>2386263
Moest people use pneumatics for this purpose. Not sure how small is small for you but worm drive motor maybe?
>>
>>2386122
it looks like a good candidate for electrolytic rust removal. They usually use a car battery charger in a container of water with a little baking soda.
It will get all the rust out of the inside corners and nooks which would be more difficult to rub out by hand... Follow it up by some type of oil or rust preventative coating if you don't want to it quickly rust again
>>
whats a good cheap home laser engraver/cutter that won't burn down the house? wanna start cutting acrylic
>>
I'm in the middle of escrow and I'm trying to track down a structural engineer to see if two leaning piers in the foundation and all of the beams leaning 1/2 an in for every 4 feet is excessive and indicative of underlying problems
>>
>>2386221
Instead of spraying cancer causing chemicals all over your garden and killing all the beneficial insects, why not instead try getting rid of any standing water, clearing dense undergrowth, use mosquito dunks for ponds etc, citronella candles & DEET when you want to sit outside.

Why even have an outdoor space when if you hate nature so damn much.
>>
>>2386497
K40 is nice to start with. Read all the shit on k40.se that helps you get an actually nice result while not burning your house down.
>>
>>2386122
Yeah, evaporust would clean it up quick and nice. But it’s expensive, for what looks like you’d need 5+ gallons? You can get molasses for much cheaper, it just takes longer.
Also electrolysis works well
>>
>>2386122
Stop being lazy, go get a couple different sized wire wheels, and a dril. You could have that cleaned off in an afternoon.

It's probably something related to shipping containers, a standoff or spacer.
>>
>>2386780
I have been trying to spend some time with it each day but we just moved and I have less time for cube than I would like, which is why I was hoping there were easier methods. Zud + potato scrub + wire brush is making good progress though.
>>
>>2386225
There's no bluing process I'm aware of where the part is heated, but the solution isn't. Most YTers use cold bluing, because it's cheaper and safer, it's supposed to be for touching up, hot bluing is more durable and a better finish. Or fume bluing - but both hot and fume aren't safe or easy to do at home.

Are you sure he wasn't case hardening the part, by heating it cherry red and quenching in oil? Or, he's bleckening the parts, by heating them and quenching them to achieve a specific finish/color. I'd need to see the DIYer to figure out what he's doing.

But anyway, bluing is just an oxide layer, like rust, but it doesn't "eat" metal, and looks better than rust, and prevents rust forming on bare metal. It's not for reducing wear. Hot bluing, done right, can wear well, but "holster" wear, ie handling it in a normal way, but not using it like a tool or a part on a car.

For a desktop robot, you'd probably get better wear resistance from plating the parts, like with nickel, or mechanically protecting parts with bushings or fasteners, like washers.
>>
need a oil bucket pump that isnt garbage and doesnt cost $100 damn dollars, suggestions?
>>
File: oil_drain_plug_321.jpg (169 KB, 850x469)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
I tapped my stripped drain plug with my biggest tap and my new plug sits at an angle because I didn't tap it straight
Is it possible to fix that, either by tapping it again or putting some thread sealant in the gap between the drain plug and the washer or am i fucked?
>>
>>2387139
It might seal at an angle, why not put a little oil in overnight and see if it leaks.

Otherwise you could drill it out and start over with a bigger tap and plug.
>>
>>2387148
yeah my post mentioned it was my biggest tap. i have no drain plug or tap bigger than that.
i tried tapping it straight but the threads just stripped again. tried to retap and rethread but it's too fucked and loose
dunno what to do. i guess i have to buy another pan and wait 8 years for it because of parts availability or figure something else out
>>
What's the cheapest orbital sander worth getting? I'm buying it for one job and then it will be mostly gathering dust.
>>
>>2386531
I hear you and agree, I do not want to kill any bugs or bees, spiders, shit like that. I live in Brooklyn and so it is close quarters with the neighbors who are total fucking bums and let their bushes grow without doing anything. I end up hoping the fence sometimes to trim their bushes so they dont go full apeshit. Their fuckin dad put in a qhole garden and then croaked, fuckin asshole, so tey dont maintain it whatsoever and there is insane growth and the mosquitoes thrive...
Its so bad that we cannot be outside and I feel like I have to spray a little something over there to get rid of them
>>
>>2387181
yeah, i was implying you get off your fat greasy ass and go buy a bigger drill tap and plug. Or you can just never drive again i guess. I dont know why you refuse to test if its leaking as is, it just might work ok, even if only for a while its better than nothing.
>>
I have about 10 pieces of 10”x10” Doug fir about an inch thick. They are warped (center is about 1/4” to 1/8” higher than edges) and I want to create at least one perfectly flat side on all of them, preferably both sides (for engraving and layering purposes)

Is a hand plane the right tool for this? The project budget justifies buying a tool for it but I’ll probably won’t use it a lot. Also is the ubiquitous Stanley one worth it?
>>
is this fine? I crushed the fuck outta it and the little bits are kinda stinking out
>>
File: file.png (35 KB, 1052x852)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Something like this exist and not industrial expensive? Want to cool garage better and maybe the attic during the crazy hot summers and cool it down during the night and if a cloud comes.
>>
how is the $20 harbor frieght 1/4in torque wrench?
I would use this thing like once every 3 months ... probably not for anything vital.

my other option is to keep renting it from the autozone across the street.
>>
>>2387579
looks fine too me
>>
File: file.png (231 KB, 628x486)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
any idea how to insulate a small air duct like this? don't care how ghetto it is as long as it's cheap and it works
>>
>>2387662
see
>>2384167
>>
>>2387671
I don't live in the US and buying any ready-made HVAC insulators is not feasible since the prices here are ludicrous.
>>
>>2387675
just google something like "hvac insulation" or "duct insulation" in your language, you should be easily able to find some alternatives. I also don't live in the US but I quickly found a lot of options in my country.
>>
>>2387675
>>2387677
oh and the prices from what I can see aren't really much higher than one from that link, but if you want cheaper then you gotta DIY
>>
>>2387550
Kind of bumping this one. Found a Stanley 245mm smoothing plane on sale at €58, would that work?

>>2387662
In factories they wrap them in sheets of this dense black foam stuff. But if this is a drier exhaust then don’t, because if you isolate it too much the dust may catch fire, it’s a common cause of house fires.
>>
Why don't arch (or any freestanding structure) builders build them laying on the a flat surface then lift them up after the cement dries? It seems easier than messing with the forms and excessive angle checking required to build them in place.
>>
>>2387581
a thermostat? you could use an old school thermostat and a relay to temperature control a fan
>>
>>2387765
Yeah but not just one that is set temperature, but depends on if outside is colder than inside.
>>
>>2387772
With some relay logic and a couple thermostats I'm sure it's possible. Or just use an Arduino or something with a couple of rtds and a relay setup.
>>
>>2387774
Yeah I was thinking of just doing it myself like that if there wasn't another product available.
>>
I don't want to use mineral oil for cutting board maintenance. I was thinking of using unboiled linseed/flaxoil. Does the unboiled coldpressed stuff go rancid, and thus bad for wood maintenance?
>>
>>2387933
Ah fuck it does. Boiled linseed is a whole different product with additives.
Guess I'm cucked with using petroleum based laxative for my cutting board. Fuck.
>>
>>2387935
If you put a thin enough layer of unboiled linseed oil it dries out and won’t smell, I’ve used it for child safe stuff. Only if the wood is very soft it gets sucked in, stays oily and can go rancid. Walnut oil does not go rancid but has a distinct color.

Water based PU works for cutting boards and is considered non toxic. Boiled linseed oil is trash for inside use. There are also some waxes available for cutting boards but you have to reapply them every so often.
>>
>>2387935
the naming in the us boiled linseed oil is misleading.
in Germany we differ between: raw linseed oil, boiled/standing linseed oil, and linseed oil varnish.

raw linseed oil contains impurity's that make it go rancid.
then there is boiled or standing oil, which is made my blowing air into heated oil or letting it sit in the sun to start oxidation and get rid of those so called "slime substances"
then there is linseed oil varnish which is standing oil mixed with manganese or cobalt dryers.

so maybe you can try to search if a company makes BLO without driers. problem is most company's do not declare the driers at all. i would only use a product where the company says no driers added.
>>
>>2388010
>Water based PU
that's just plastic.
>>
>>2388012
Maybe I'll just give up and look up overpriced cutting board oil that isn't based on mineral oil.
For now I'll just use the mineral oil I guess.
>>
>>2388012
Pure stand oil can be bought but problem with it is that it’s so thick that it can’t be applied easily without thinning it with turpentine.

>>2388014
Yea I know but it’s pretty much dishwasher proof

>>2388017
Why not tung oil
>>
>>2388025
>Why not tung oil
I've read it's stinky.
Anon on another board pretty much sold me on linseed, but woodwork stuff often has driers added and foodgrade goes rancid quick.
Beeswax isn't a solution beecause it doesn't make a strong protective layer.

Maybe mineral oil isn't that bad too. First time I used the cutting board I've cut up a red bell pepper and the taste felt off. I thought it was because of the oil, but later I ate another bell pepper and even without touching the board it still tasted bad. Maybe mineral oil is fine...

The board is end grain oak blocks by the way
>>
I want to optimize my dish washing equipment.

1. Sponges absorb bacteria; how can I prevent that? Is there an alternative to sponges?
2. A dish drying rack takes up a lot of space on the kitchen countertop, but wiping the dishes with a towel coats them with lint. What should I use instead?
>>
>>2388032
>1. Sponges absorb bacteria; how can I prevent that? Is there an alternative to sponges?
Brushes are easier to clean I guess but as long as you replace the sponge semi-regularly and use detergent you're fine, it's not going to make you sick.
>2. A dish drying rack takes up a lot of space on the kitchen countertop, but wiping the dishes with a towel coats them with lint. What should I use instead?
You put the dish rack into the cabinet over the sink. Pic related.
>>
File: fki8aj3h1e671.png (43 KB, 348x272)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
is 45x45 mm studs to small for wall framing? Its only for sound proofing a room.
>>
>>2388032
> 1. Sponges absorb bacteria; how can I prevent that? Is there an alternative to sponges?
You soak them with 150F+ water every now and then, there will only be dead bacteria left. Replace them when dirty.

> wiping the dishes with a towel coats them with lint.
Shouldn’t happen unless your towel is new or completely dry. Towel should be half-damp when you use it to dry. New towels should be washed in washing machine before use
>>
How do I contrast paint engraved letters? I painted and then sanded like the video told me but the paint inside the letters got all dusty and torn out
>>
I need to drill a simple hole in my concrete garage wall to hang power strip from. I don't have a hammer drill, only a 20V cordless drill. Will this drill, with a proper masonry bit, get the job done?
>>
>>2388150
Sand face of the workpiece
Blue painters tape over the face
Engrave
Spray paint exposed letters
When dry, remove tape

There will be little to no bleed through
>>
>>2388354
Yes it’ll work fine, remember to pull the bit out to remove dust every once in a while as you drill
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (46 KB, 1914x562)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I need a motion detector that I can plug a device into. What is that called and where can I find it?

I don't want a motion detector outlet, because I have a power strip attached to the outlet and there is only one thing I want tied to the motion detector. Its a neon light in my office. I basically only want it on when I'm in my office to preserve its life. I'd like to just be able to plug it into some sort of motion detector, and then plug the motion detector into my power strip.
>>
>>2388385
Wow I feel stupid for not coming up with this myself. Thanks a lot Anon, will try.
>>
>>2388398
I think this is what you need, but for some reason I can’t find any in USA plug online. We call them “in-between plug motion detector”
>>
>>2388427
Thanks. I was able to find one on amazon searching that.
>>
File: shaen.jpg (127 KB, 1024x759)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
What's a good piece of equipment to buy to make money in a middle class or upper middle class suburb? I have my truck, trailer and a bunch of landscaping equipment but I need something better. I was thinking about a stump grinder
>>
>>2388611
hardwood floor refinishing machines
>>
File: 20220506_165300.jpg (3.14 MB, 4608x2184)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
I got this building for free but I need to move 50 miles. 13×24. I've got a ford expedition. DIY?
>>
>>2384710
I'm sorry anon, that looks terrible.
>>
>>2388621
Start calling the companies locally who sell these types of buildings; they are normally just dealers (another company actually builds them) and they will be set up to pick up and move them. It should cost less than 1000$ most likely.
They are literally the people in the business of moving and delivering these things.
>>
Not sure this is the right board to ask this but I don’t know where else to go.
There’s this heating radiator on one of my walls that resonates a lot due to a speaker being next to it. I can’t hear it during most tracks, but with some specific songs it’s basically as loud as the music. The speakers have tiny 5,25” woofers and I plan on getting subs which will likely make the situation considerably worse. The landlord won’t allow me to remove it. I don’t need heating. What can I do to make it shut the fuck up? The second pic shows the inner structure. Should i try to fit something like tennis balls between it and the wall? Stick some sort of dense foam on it? Put something like bike tire inner tubes in it and fill them with as much air as i can?
Do you think I can just remove it myself and reinstall it before I move out? It’s central heating (which probably isn’t turned on right now since it’s warm) so even though I can control the flow of water into the radiator itself, I can’t control what happens before the dial or whatever it’s called.
>>
>>2388687
weird, I have the same type of radiator, speakers and subwoofer near it, and no resonance - I only get resonance from my subwoofer from my cabinets sometimes. Check if the mounting of the radiator isn't loose.

You can try to figure out if the resonance is because of transfer through the floor or through the air, if it's through the floor you can just isolate the speakers. Play around with a test tone generator to figure out what frequency the resonance happens at and put something between the speaker and the floor that stops transfer of this frequency - different materials work for different frequencies.

Also car soundproofing material might work on the radiator, but I'm not sure how easy this stuff is to remove later.
>>
>>2388691
I’m pretty sure it’s through the air. I can hear resonance even if i clap hard enough. My speakers have rubber on the bottom, and are screwed into metal stands filled with 7kg of atabites each. The stands have metal spikes that fit into these metal plucks with foam on the bottom. I also live on the ground floor. That combined with the fact that I don’t play music that loud makes me think that there’s no way it’s through the floor.
There is one part of a song where it’s very audible. Suicidal thoughts by biggie. At the end there’s a heartbeat. After every beat there is a ring from the radiator that’s about as loud as the beat itself. The other music i listen to is way more dense/complex so I can’t actually hear the resonance, but I can’t help but think that it’s still fucking with the sound
>>
Anyone know of beside/under cabinet venting solutions for a hotplate in my kitchenette? Dont want a big fuckoff 24"-36" range hood. Found this 12" vertical hood but its over a grand.
I want to just vent it 90° over out the wall
>>
>>2388734
Would my best bet just be to mount one of these 6" inline vents to the cabinet and run ugly ducting? There is a casement window by the sink, maybe a window fan mounted there would be easier
>>
>>2388739
I think the fats will destroy it over time. Hoods are expensive but they’re made to be easy to clean. If anything put a filter in front of it, or mount it such that you can remove it for cleaning. Also doesn’t ikea sell like $200 small filter hoods?
>>
>>2388744
Good call. I don't think the fan will be directly over the hotplate, but I'll see if I can find one with a removable filter
>>
>>2382542
whats better to flood in case of heavy rain fall the lawn with grass or the vegetable bed which is mostly soil? Trying to think where I should divert the water in case of a emergency so it doesn't come out of the toilet again.
Also any way to increase the water absorption rate in soil/lawn?
>>
>>2388746
most hoods use fine stainless mesh you can put in the dishwasher once its saturated.

like those old engine air filters you had to oil.
>>
File: ded lawn.png (3.97 MB, 2012x1034)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB PNG
>Seed last October
>Don't have irrigation
>Manually water
>Grows in okay
>Over Holidays, half of lawn dies from lack of watering
>Buy automatic timer to water regularly for upcoming spring
>Hand till, re-seed, rake in, add dirt to dead areas
>Continue watering regularly
>Lawn almost starts to improve
>Last week consider buying sod for the 30% remaining bare spots
>Suddenly this week, Half of the remaining half dies
>Down to these small green islands
>Lawn is uneven (my fault from hastiness last October) but some shallow areas where water collects are growing well and some shallow areas where water collects are dying
>I know there's some clear evidence that the area around the sprinkler is green but there are a couple random spots that get plenty of water that are dying?
>Not sure whats going on
I was watering twice a day, morning and evening for 20 minutes. I'm in Zone 9b. It's about to get hot as fuck for a few months.
Should I
>full re-seed now by tilling everything and start all over even though it's a bit late
>partial re-seed now by digging up everything around the good spots and re-seeding even though it's a bit late
>just let the shit die and start all over again after summer
>try to keep what I can alive and then try to re-seed again after summer
Or is this seriously just a matter of needing to increase the fuck out of the watering.
>>
File: 1639528248044.jpg (13 KB, 343x343)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
The specs on this thing say it is 56volt and 550 watts. That works out to roughly 10amps. So if I have a standard socket rated for 15amps, I shouldn't put two of these on the same power strip, right?
>>
>>2388911
>So if I have a standard socket rated for 15amps
You have a standard socket rated for 1800 W.
>The specs on this thing say it is 56volt and 550 watts. That works out to roughly 10amps.
At 56 V, not at 120 VAC.
>>
>>2388910
id consider a different variety of grass, look up what grows well in your climate. And I suspect your dirt is not very nutritious. Tilling isnt good for the soil btw. The only reason it works is if you till in fertilizer. Otherwise youre just killing the fungi that distribute nutrients
>>
If i cut a drywall in the middle so I can transport is easier is it going to be ruined or can I just spackle over the crack in the middle?
Im not looking for a proffesional job, I just want something that works in my home
>>
>>2388910
Start again next spring and try planting Zoysia Grass. Once Zoysia is established it's very hard to kill. Also consider sod if it's a smaller area, it's easy to install yourself and keep alive
>>
>>2388986
>can I just spackle over the crack in the middle?
yes you can mud the joint using tape same as any other joint.

Please don't say spackle around actual drywall pros.
>>
Have you guys had any luck with stationary bug zappers? Just hung up one outside my house this afternoon. None of yet to be effective at let me relax without getting bit. Hopefully this works, but every the mainstream consensus is that they don’t work and disrupts the heckin ecosystem. Probably propaganda
>>
>>2389016
If they dont release anything to attract mosquitos then they are worthless. People who want to kill mosquitos over large areas use those propane catchers that release carbon
>>
File: blastbros.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Does anyone use bluetooth earbuds for noise cancelling at a 100+ db job? Earbuds wired together is fine, but any other wires would get shredded.
>>
>>2388354
Just get a cheap corded hammer drill. $30 and it'll work just fine the next time you need to drill a hole.
>>
File: untitled.png (2.49 MB, 851x1134)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB PNG
Do the gearboxes in tillers usually have grease or oil in them? Got a free tiller, both gearboxes are full of this pasty oily shit. The front one is half full of water, and the rear one, pictured, literally looks like copper antiseize.
I know snowblowers usually have 00 grease in the auger gearbox, but this shit is definitely thicker than snowblower grease.

All four seals are fucked and it needs two new tires and both the drive and tiller cables, so I'm deciding if I want to go through the effort of trying to fix it or just scrap the carcass and keep the motor.
>>
>>2389278
standard NGLI 2 grease will work fine
>>
File: joystick_.jpg (32 KB, 730x756)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2382542
Are there any decent project boxes out there that this would fit in nicely, and be easily handheld?
No electronics or anything will be put inside, just wires out.
>>
>>2389104
get certified hearing protection anon, don't fuck with DIY solutions. You don't want hearing loss or permanent tinnitus.
>>
how do I refill my windows with argon?
>>
I got INDIAN MEALMOTH infestation. You generally use propanol to fuck their eggs up from your surfaces, but the insides of cupboards in my house are all painted, for some fucking reason. Is your everyday ethanol wipe gonna do the trick?

ESL here so can't find the answer anywhere and it makes me edge towards the propanol bottle.
>>
>>2389471
Correction: those wipes contain Methylisothiazolinone and Benzisothiazolinone. So either this, propanol or, I dunno, vinegar? lol lmao
>>
Weird question. Any ideas where I can hide my spare keyes outside in case i lose my home keys? I was thinking plastic bag and dig a hole under a rock or something. I dont know
>>
File: Halp.jpg (397 KB, 1919x1024)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
Hi I don't have allot experience with audio software and just installed ''Sonic Visualizer'' (let me know if there is an better option)

There is a song that has in one part some weird audio, at first I thought someone was calling my name from a distance then I listen to it a few more times and I think think there is a hidden message or a mixing error.
I tried googleing but only found a few forum of people guessing what it is, no isolation of the sound.

How do I isolate just a small part of the spectrum to hear it? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
>>
What kind of cheap security camera should I look for that only records into a SD when something is moving in front of the camera meaning it doesnt record every fucking second 24/7
>>
>>2389620
>What kind
motion activated, motion sensor
>>
Is there any danger buying Romex off eBay?
It’s just stolen right?
>>
Car question
Either my head gasket(s) or oil cooler is leaking, cause oil is getting into my coolant, and my exhaust has a noticeably white tinge to it which means coolant is getting into the cylinders. It's not billowing white smoke so I know it's not terribly bad, but it will only get worse so I need to get it fixed. But I do not have the money to get it repaired, or the tools to diy (or the money to buy the tools). Could I just drain my coolant system and refill it with oil? So whatever seal is leaking will just trade oil for oil, and thus solve the issue, albeit temporarily?
>>
>>2389618
You want like a reverse karaoke filter.
>>
>>2389862
I've bought a lot of romex from ebay. The only problems that I have run into is that a lot of times the heavy rolls of wire (especially if you're getting 250' of 12-3 or something) are often poorly packaged into an ill fitting box, and they destroy the box while being bounced around in shipping and get lost or damaged while en route.
Of course, it's ebay so it's usually easy to get a refund when this happens, but it's still inconvenient.

Some times the wire isn't stolen, but just sort of diverted or left over from shitty jobs. This is a fairly common practice with various kinds of contractors. (ie if you pay a roofer to put shingles on your house, they estimate the required materials, buy them, and then keep the excess or return it for a kickback)
The cost gets passed to the client.
>>
>>2389912
Youll destroy the heater core and radiator, while burning out your water pump and overheating the engine because oil will not cool.
So no, you cant do it, not even temporarily, and it will cause massive damage

It doesnt take anything more than a socket set to do a head gasket replacement.
The longer you wait, the more damage youll do, and the car will not be worth fixing.
Take a 3-4 day weekend, buy a handful of tools and try to get it done. You are on borrowed time already
>>
>>2389951
Why and how would the oil destroy the heater and radiator?
>>
>>2389912
It doesn't cool as well as water does, will contaminate the entire cooling system, and will ruin the radiator and heater hoses, but it won't burn out your water pump like this retard >>2389951 says it will. It's an old trick farmers use on shitty firewood haulers that never see the road, but if you actually care about your car you should figure out if it's a head gasket or the oil cooler and get it fixed asap. A simple cylinder leakdown test will tell you if it's a head gasket/cracked head or block, otherwise it has to be either the oil cooler or intake manifold or manifold gaskets.
Having DETAILS would make it easier to give you advice beyond generalizations.

>>2389951
Head gaskets are a hell of a lot more work than just "hurr durr geet a 5 dollah sokkit set and feex it yerself", It's an involved project that someone with no experience wrenching should not be attempting without some guidance or being okay with fucking it up in a big way.
Especially if it's a modern bullshit DOHC aluminum econobox engine.
>>
>>2389990
>Head gaskets are a hell of a lot more work than just "hurr durr geet a 5 dollah sokkit set and feex it yerself"
Its literally not.
You can pretend otherwise, but it simply doesnt make it reality.
People have been blindly slapping head gaskets for years and been perfectly fine. The quicker you do it, the better chance you have of not warping and cracking a head.

He's poor, he isnt going to pay someone to do it, he sure is fuck isnt going to pay someone to fix it in a month or two when things are real dire.
He drives it for another month until it does serious damage and he is out a car which he cant afford to replace, or he has a fighting chance of blindly following a guide online with basic tools over the weekend and less than 100bucks of materials to keep the car running.

If he fucks up in a major way, its no different than if he just keeps driving it.

You act like its the 1980s and the internet doesnt exist, and that he cant find pin point, step by step guide to do exactly what he needs to do in detail at his fingertips.
You also act like unbolting shit and rebolting shit is this giant hard to learn skill.
There is a reason everyone and their brother is a shadetree mechanic, and real mechanics dont get paid shit.
>>
>>2390032
Ok there skeeter, have fun when your meth addled brain forgets where half of the shit in the engine bay you have to remove to get to the head goes so you nigger rig up some abomination that doesn't even run because you got the timing 180 degrees out and bent every fucking valve.
Yeah, cars aren't THAT complicated, but if you've never done repair work before, you can't just expect someone to jump right in and do a head gasket job. Especially not with just a $5 harbor freight socket set.

You need torque wrenches, torque angle guides, scrapers, prybars, feeler gauges, and an actual straight edge as long as the block is stern to aft. Not to mention an actual service manual, not some anecdote mouthbreather advice like you posted, a place to work, and time to do it. If you don't already have the tools and attitude to do it right, and have no intention do acquire them, you're better off paying a trustworthy mechanic, shadetree or otherwise, to do it for you, you contrarian shitfucker.
>>
>>2390042
kek, you really ARE full of yourself and really DO think you are special dont you?

>not some anecdote mouthbreather advice like you posted
I posted pragmatic advice that falls within the confines that he outlined.
The only mouthbreather here is you, completely failing to comprehend a single thing he posted while writing a dissertation jerking yourself off about how special and unique you think you are.
Its like you clearly dont understand being between a rock and a hard place, while vastly overestimating how hard it really is to pull off.

I wouldnt exactly call "do the work yourself" the "contrarian" take anon.
Then again, I also live in a world where the internet exists so even meth addled mechanics can watch and read full blown tutorials on how to do a head gasket replacement without needing a service manual.
I mean, meth and retardation is pretty par for the course for a mechanic anyways.
>>
Theres brown stains on my bathroom plastic flooors because I never bothered to remove the water

How to I remove it
>>
>>2390168
Use hot water, and a sponge.
>>
>>2390077
>>2390042
I think you guys are forgetting something…

Some people are retarded and have no mechanical aptitude. Some people have a logical mechanical mind. If you are the former, especially if you don’t even own a socket set, I would not recommend doing the head gasket even with a really good guide because a broken stud won’t be in that guide. Also some people have done some work and are still retarded. I know plenty of people who have done more car repairs than me and get hung up on stuff that I figure out in 30 seconds, it’s not all experience.

If you’re mechanically inclined, not a retard, have done a brake job, and have a good guide and some time, you could do it. Take lots of pics and double check your timing and all that. Triple check before starting the engine.
>>
I want to build my own privacy fence in my backyard
What tools will I need?
Alternatively what's a good resource to look into about it? Theres hundreds of videos and guides but I dont know which are good
>>
>>2390216
>Theres hundreds of videos and guides but I dont know which are good

Be patient. It might take a few hours, but I'll watch all of them and rank them in order for you.
>>
>>2389016
>>2389028

Update: I used the scent attractant last night and I sat on my back porch from 6-10pm without a single bite.
>>
Can someone help me find the right oval grommets for my PC case? I measured and the holes in the case are 80mm x 35mm. The two closest sizes I could find are 35 x 75 mm and 35 x 100mm. Am I possibly measuring wrong?
>>
>>2390350
Do they sell the little strip so you can make your own any custom length? Like tiny weather stripping. Maybe that’s easier if it’s not a common size.
>>
Will gasoline melt cyanoacrylate glue?
>>
tl;dr because reasons i'm living in my buddy's workshop, he told me do whatever I need to make myself comfy he doesn't care, he's a trucker and not really home much and views it having a security guard since he worries about people stealing his shit while he's gone. He has this absolutely behemoth overhead door like pic rel, he said it's 14'x14'. I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestion how, if possible, I could modify the back side of the door to work as a projector surface without impeding it's ability to be opened?
>>
>>2390708
I'm fucking glad you asked in the stupid questions thread, paint the fucking hardware white (assuming you have permission) and then use fucking double sided tape above and below the segment lines to attach plain fucking computer paper, it will bend as the door opens and closes. Put aluminum foil over any little windows and then tape paper over those too. God damn son did you really need a stranger on the internet to tell you how to white out a surface?
>>
>>2390709
Bruh you've never used a projector before.

>>2390708
Buy white blackout curtains on Amazon. You can get them like 8 ft tall. Figure out how to fasten them to or in front of the door, should work better than trying to white-out the door.
>>
Trying to make my own rape kit. Right now I have over sized rubber boots, neosporin, and a hamburglar mask. What else do I need to make this kit complete
>>
>>2390708
sell the door for crack, its what your buddy would want
>>
What type of "stone-like" tiling can I use for my shower that I can deep clean with vinegar and bleach which won't destroy the tiles. Natural stone is out of the question, ceramic tiling is questionable if I don't know if it contains any material that will be dissolved by acid and the same goes for concrete tiles.

What is something with a very natural stone look/feel, but resistant to most (extreme) cleaning products?
>>
>>2390878
There's this tile that's glass that has a backing that looks like stone. You might have to deal with some corny looking options though.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 246x205)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
What should I search for to find an articulating Vesa mount that will allow me to run wiring through the hollow tubes and through the wall mount? I want to run my wires behind the sheetrock.
>>
Can a person be too stupid to be able to use a hand plane? I got this pretty cheap one to get learn hand planing but so far it’s only made the wood worse. It either shaves of nothing at all, or tries to dig itself into the wood and jams halfway through. I’ve been consistently adjusting the depth and sharpened the blade using a guide. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong? It’s Douglas btw, pretty soft
>>
Where can I learn to do sutures? I recently had a bloody head injury and realize it’s a very important skill to have.
>>
>>2390986
you can practice on fruit - grapes specifically offer a challenge. If you can suture a grape, you can suture a person. They did surgery on a grape.
>>
File: clip.png (361 KB, 1049x684)
361 KB
361 KB PNG
is this a good deal?
>t. DIY noob
>>
>>2390995
I have this drill and it’s very strong, can punch through posts and through metal. I dislike ryobi batteries but their corded appliances obviously avoid that.
It’s not masterclass surgeon general shit but it’ll serve you well.
>>
>>2390998
bet. thanks bro, god bless
>>
>>2382854
Call the Housing Authority in your area, they'll make sure the problem is solve.
>>
>>2390995
yeah, those bits new would probably be $500+
>>
>>2390986
You don’t, and it isn’t. If it’s an emergency, use a wound stapler or bandage. If it’s less of an emergency, use wound glue. If it’s not an emergency, go to a doctor. Bad sutures can be worse than no sutures and it won’t be good unless you learn a lot more about skin, tissue and sterile operating.
>>
File: rust.jpg (686 KB, 2560x1440)
686 KB
686 KB JPG
I bought this supposedly stainless steel valve from Amazon, I looked at it with one of these macro cameras and is this rust? Can I use this for drinking water

I took a video (you can skip the first half)
https://files.catbox.moe/51bq2o.mp4
>>
File: fiftybucks.png (173 KB, 600x600)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
I was cutting up wood with nails in it and my ryobi wood saw jammed up on a nail. and then i just cut through it anyways. turns out i was going across the nail sideways.

well now the saw makes a much louder, and more intense noise but it still works. is i gonna die soon? catastrophically?

i hear they have a no questions asked warranty? i got my saw off craigslist.
>>
>>2391026
If they dont specifically list the grade and/or its not a US seller who actually *tries* to maintain a reputation you can be sure its not stainless. I ordered "stainless" padlocks from aliexpress and they are rusted to shit.
>>
>>2391047
It's made in China and the Amazon listing is one of these Amazon FBA sellers so I guess that answers my question. Thank you
>>
>>2391029
Check if it still makes the noise with a different blade. Or spin blade on finger and to check it’s balance. And put current blade on flat surface and check if it’s still totally flat.
>>
>>2391115
sounds like too much work
>>
I want a mitre saw type thing for processing small bits of firewood, what should I get?
>>
trying to unscrew washing machine door hinge, but it won't budge. Is there any approach for this, or just patience, wd40 and more patience?
One of the screws won't slips when I try to open it too.
>>
File: IMG_1173.jpg (2.28 MB, 4032x3024)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
I'm going to attach some more D rings to my inflatable paddle board, does pic related look sound for creating the anchor attaching point? Currently when I attach the anchor line to one D ring the D ring vinyl stretches out like top drawing when it gets pulled at an angle, so I'm thinking that using two D rings will help with this. Does this make sense? How should the D rings be oriented, horizontally or vertically?
>>
I want to make a stiff pouch for storing my mirrorless camera in luggage/my backpack so it doesn't get banged up. I'm picturing it being thick semi-rigid leather, just a basic pouch shape like pic related . What type and thickness leather do I want to use for this?
>>
So we got a screen door installed.
Problem is, fecker doesn't close because the lip from the plate attached to the wall isn't long enough to catch the screen door when it shuts.

I don't know what the thing I'm talking about is called. I want to call it a 'strike plate', but I know that's wrong, and I'm pretty sure 'face plate' is wrong.

Can anyone tell me what the term is so I can find it?
>>
>>2391629
Make sure you're using the correct size screw driver, then use pliers to rotate the screwdriver for more mechanical advantage.

It that doesn't work you can try an impact driver if you have one, or get one of pic related.
>>
File: file.png (73 KB, 416x344)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
TLDR: I want to add aluminium heatsinks to my laptop copper pipe so the heatsink works better after a failure, do i sand the copper a bit or a smooth surface is better for thermal tape?

So i have a laptop where the heatsink got damaged, the copper pipe broke a bit and liquid inside it got out so it doesn't cool properly anymore, its a rather new laptop so i cant find a replacement for cheap, but i do have lots of aluminium blocks i could use from some Raspberry Pi kits i got.
Do i sand the copper pipe so or thermal tape likes smooth surfaces more?
>>
>>2392334
the fluid inside the heat pipes is what drives the thermal transfer away from the processor and toward the heat sink. With this fluid gone the whole system will only ever be at equilibrium and immensely inefficient compared to a functional heat pipe. If you're comfortable doing that modification then you should just buy a replacement heat sink assembly for your model.
>>
File: citr.jpg (51 KB, 700x700)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2391026
i cant say if its save for drinking water. in Germany every part that touches drinking water has to be DVGW listed. (theoretical its illegal to hook up a garden hose to your tap without a 500$ back flow preventer) but no one cares.

for your rusting stainless steel you can try to passivate it in citric acid.
citric acid will dissolve the rust and also the iron in the surface of the part.
because the iron is missing the more noble elements like chromium and nickle are now higher concentrated on the surface of the part which increases the corrosion resistance.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.