[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: g09471photo01.jpg (49 KB, 360x447)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Hello /diy/

Me and Buddy want to start our own shrimp farming, we both said fuck it and wanted to start business venture. We just don't know where to start at all. I have little bit of plumbing and electrical experience with a bio degree, while he also has construction experience. Any tips? We're thinking of starting in PA since we're in NJ and I figured it would be cheap in PA, and if we sell in a place where there isn't a body of water, our value of our product will go up.
>>
Sell people seminars on how easy it is to get rich with shrimp farming. That's where the real money is.
>>
>>2378207

You're probably going to have to go pretty big to make any serious money. There's an operation near me that has been quite successful even being near the ocean by servicing local small restaurants, asian/hispanic markets and other cheapasses that think it's worth the drive to save a buck over a few pounds, but their warehouse is around 2000sqft & mostly tanks (probably costed a ton to set up). (Also it's freshwater prawns that they sell, easier to maintain & most end consumers of their customers won't know the difference.)

The seminar idea isn't that bad, lol.

The other idea is to sell prawns to other people wanting to do home farms at a not stupidly high price but available on a regular basis (sellers of the live prawns for home farms either seem to be almost seasonal or ridiculous in price/shipping costs so it wouldn't be hard to compete.)
>>
>>2378207
Scrap PA. The water there is more polluted than you think. Head down to NC or SC. You'll thank me later if you are serious.
>>
>>2378207
Lmao man, that's a lot of overhead that can all be ruined by one shrimpsease.
>>
>>2378207
just buy a boat and come down to the gulf it would be more fun. dont really do that tho it sucks and were full
>>
>>2378506
I was also looking into NC, thanks
>>2378467
The idea was to build a warehouse or buy one in PA and set it up that way.
>>
>>2378207
I don't understand why people suddenly decide to jump whole-hog into a new business that they have no experience or education in. You're about to learn a very expensive lesson.
>>
>>2378753
That's usually how that works.
>>
>>2378207
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS_Iufw477I
>>
>>2378753
It’s the business equivalent of going backpacking, or suddenly buying a motor cycle for most people. The more boring/unappealing the outlook of ‘what you have’ gets, the more appealing ‘something completely different’ becomes.

Can’t speak for OP of course, but for some people the risk of having a failed shrimp farm two years from now is not much worse than whatever their current outlook is. Plus there’s the chance of succeeding
>>
>>2378672
remember that you have to transport live animals back to wherever your warehouse is

you’d spend way less in transportation costs if your warehouse/dock is close to wherever your fishing grounds are located
>>
File: ithuba-Shrimp-farm[1].png (147 KB, 460x316)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
Where do you live? There are 2 shrimp farms in Fellsmere Florida and they have the largest and cleanest shrimp I've ever purchased. I'm not sure if they are still in business (they are according to Google). If you are also in Florida, perhaps you could arrange a tour?

I can't paste URL's to the two that I'm thinking of, so search this on Google...

"fellsmere florida shrimp farm"
>>
>>2378824
I'm aware. I use to work in pharma that handled blood, and worked closely with warehouse for about 5 years before I quit.
>>2378869
Currently in NJ once I get at least 3 years of plumbing under my belt. I plan to move since I'm not doing STEM work anymore, at least for the time being.
>>
>>2378207
you will be shut down by the FDA . you cannot farm shrimp in a enclosure that is not in the ocean and has to allow flow in with the existing ocean water

its impossible to keep the tanks clean enough to prevent contamination. its equivalent to hoof in mouth disease but for crustaceans . the oceans are not clean but you do not see it present there. companies gave up in the 90s and admitted it wasnt plausible after a few failed

as a result none of that can be sold in america and they will eventually make their rounds to you if you can pay any bills by doing it
>>
>>2378753
that's how you get new businesses
you think Henry Ford obtained PhD in car manufacturing before he started building cars?
>that they have no experience or education in
>"I have little bit of plumbing and electrical experience with a bio degree"
seems like transferable skills and education to me
>>
>>2378207
Sell them to fish tank owners as exotic sea creatures.
>>
>>2378948
This is completely wrong. See the post above with the Ithuba shrimp logo. These guys are 10 miles from my house - 5 miles from the Indian River Lagoon and 10 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. They do no use ocean water at all.
>>
>>2379041
>you think Henry Ford obtained PhD in car manufacturing before he started building cars?
Henry Ford wasn't a shrimp farmer.
He wasn't trying to learn a new business, he literally had to invent it all himself. He succeeded because he had the drive to see it through and didn't accept failure.
You think Henry Ford would've posted here asking for advice on how to start a factory?
>>
>>2379252
Henry Ford didn't have the internet a tool used to grasp and pull information, since information back then was insular.
>>
>>2378869
That is one smug shrimp
>>
>>2379447
you wanna know something funny?
non surface level information is still insular
>>
>>2378948
Lol, try telling that to the thousands of fish farms across the country. Kys you boring retard.
>>
>>2378207
Oh, look, the shrimp farming bait thread.

Again.
>>
How do you farm crabs? The imitation stuff just isn't cutting it anymore.
>>
>>2379859
Look up vertical crab farming
>>
Came for the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company joes. Left disappointed.
>>
This is on Reddit /r/video right now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AK_RQ1uaGs

Related.
>>
>>2379458
He knows that he's shrimply the best
>>
File: 5_year.png (14 KB, 426x195)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>2378348
>>
>>2383078

SeaMonkees are better if your space is limited. You can raise them in your apartment, and once you have trained them to do tricks they can be sold for a lot of money.
>>
>>2383078
Good Lord, Chinchilla farms were all the rage when I was a kid. They were positioned as an alternative to mink for clothing, then PETA started throwing blood on people. Also Llamas.
>>
>>2383140
>PETA started throwing blood on people. Also Llamas.

I read this as PETA sperging out and not only throwing blood on people but on any hapless llamas they encountered, and now my sides are gone.
>>
>>2381592
Seriously I thought this was the gag here
>>
>>2378207
Do Crayfish/crawfish/crawdads. They are hard to get in most states and the ones you do find are from the Yangtze
>>
File: 1633154994405.jpg (528 KB, 1500x1500)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
>>2378207
From a scorpion's perspective, a shrimp is a mermaid.
>>
>>2383786
they taste disgusting. Shrimps that are bigger are also territoral.
>>
>>2378207
look for states that will give you a grant and other assistance in setting up your prawn farm.
there should also be new-farmer programs available to you for advice and training.

you've been paying taxes, make taxes work for you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.