[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

STUPID QUESTIONS THAT DONT DESERVRE NUTHIN

Mine: how big does this shop vac look? expert eyeballers only pls
>>
10 gallon?
>>
>>2373194
I am installing a water block on my gpu. I got it used and so cleaned the inside, which had like color dye buildup. Anyways I’m putting the seal back in and screwing the two halves back together. Should I add anything to the rubber gasket? I have silicone grease, Vaseline, and all sorts of other stuff. I know silicone grease is recommended for plumbing stuff, but I don’t know what material the gasket is. If it’s silicone (I’m pretty sure it’s not) you can’t use silicone grease.

I just added a few drops of 10 in 1 oil, and let it flow
>>
>>2373194
>>2373352
Okay I need more help.i can’t remember where each of the circle rubber gaskets go. I have 5 different ones: two large round ones, one slightly smaller round one, and two flat-like ones.
The large circle ones fit perfectly in the grooves of the black part
>>
Did they guy making a Sarah doll ever come back
>>
File: IMG_20220429_094320.jpg (1.41 MB, 4624x3472)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>2373194
The front aluminum cover of my microwave fell off you can see the glue strips in the pic. Can I just use normal glue to fix it or do I need something special?
>>
Can anyone recommend a decent budget riding mower? I've got about .75 acres to cut.
>>
>>2373476
Use JB Weld epoxy
>>
File: 61TuB274l-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (43 KB, 1084x996)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Are there heavy duty adapters for adding more outlets to an outlet, with the intent to power an appliance?

I have limited outlets in my basement and would like to power a console, tv, and washing machine in the same outlet using an adaptor. I'm also terrified of burning my house down.
>>
>>2373759
TVs are relatively low power these days, and you will trip the breaker before any issues most likely. Just get a good quality thing like your pic or a heavy duty power strip. Stay away from cheap Chinesium and you will be ok. Any of the jobsite duty power strips are going to be made to handle 15A saws and compressors and if it can handle that, your washing machine will be fine.

>>2373376
You’ll figure it out if it leaks.
>>
>>2373759
>I'm also terrified of burning my house down.
if you're installing a washing machine then you should replace the receptacle with gfci if it isnt already
>>
Having a problem with my PC. When power is turned on the MOBO lights turn on, and the fans start to spin (albeit at a slow speed) but it doesn't POST or send any signal to the monitor. It does the same thing whether or not I have the GPU installed. Pc has an ASUS AM4 mobo with a Ryzen 7 something or other processor. I've opened it and checked that no connectors have come loose, or something causing a short and have found nothing. I changed the CMOS battery and unplugged things like auxiliary HDDs and DVD drive and still nothing. Can anyone tell me what I should do to track down what the problem is?
>>
>>2373852
It's not throwing any error codes on the mobo? I would work my way through all your spares to be sure first. Make sure your monitor and hdmi cable are both good (3 of my last 4 computer problems were display cables randomly dying, idk why its so common). Also try a different monitor output type like VGA or displayport to make sure the port didnt die. If those all seem fine its prob most likely the motherboard or (less likely) the cpu (unless youve been going overkill on the overclocking).

If you have a spare computer sitting around I would try swapping the CPU into it or visa versa. Im not really sure how you'd distinguish between a bad cpu and motherboard otherwise. If it comes to that I would try a replacement motherboard first since those tend to be cheaper.
>>
File: file.png (1.05 MB, 944x1079)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>2373892
Oh and if your stuck trying to choose between the cpu and motherboard it may be worth a shot to visually inspect the mobo. Sometimes it fried something internally, but a lot of the board is exposed so you might be able to catch a glimpse of a small scorch mark somewhere if it burnt itself out. Youll need to pay really close attention though, the burn could be super small

in theory you could even repair the board if you could find the damage, but that may not be worth the effort.
>>
>>2373459
Nah man he's living the life with the perfect woman.
>>
>>2373529
If you're on a budget and it's only that much land, see if you can pick one up used. A lot of people upgrade to zero-turns and you can get riders for cheap. I had an early-2000's Troybilt on a .8 acre lot that had been through about 5 people before me, and with a little routine maintenance and replacing some of the body screws that had shaken loose it served me for years before I moved.
>>
Do eurofrens describe house sizes in square meter? Or do they use something different?
>>
>>2373955
They use thou. hectares.

For example, 100sqm would be 10 thous(andths of a hectare).
>>
>>2373759
Code requires the washing machine to be on it's own breaker with a GFCI installed. Instead of using an adapter why not just add another outlet?
I doubt you'd start a fire (your breaker should trip way before that) but it's still not a good idea to overload circuits.
>>
>>2373980
What the fuck
>>
>>2373218
mines 9 and this one looks a bit bigger. i think it's a 15 but idk. gonna trade mine in for that unit probably
>>
File: 1624990455904s.jpg (6 KB, 186x250)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>2373194
Can I hook up a vfd to a single phase motor to make it speed controlled? All the vfd's I find are triple phase but I figured I could just delta off two legs and leave the third blank. Will this work? With the single phase starter coil or capacitor rape me or something?
>>
>>2373352
no, don't add anything to the gaskets
any grease you add would get into the water and eventually get stuck in the grooves that are over the chip
>>
File: 1348266367962.png (240 KB, 2000x2000)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
>>2373852
>>
File: Screenshot.jpg (174 KB, 1460x904)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>2373194
looks like their 16gal version
>>
>>2374063
Yes, the good folks at Carrier have been doing this for years. I do believe the motor has to be a ball bearing type not a sleeve bearing.

https://www.shareddocs.com/hvac/docs/1005/Public/0B/30_38-14SI.pdf
>>
>>2374071
thank you sir, i will trade mine in tomorrow
>>
>>2373194
No more than 5 gallon
>>2373352
Why ask after you probably fuck up?
>>2373376
annoying questions, if you didn’t have the wherewithal to complete the task you shouldn’t have started it.
>>2373459
Not yet I don’t think.
>>2373476
Good normal glue should be fine.
>>2373529
Go local repair shop and buy used whatever if you can.
>>2373754
Based
>>2373759
You’re going to trip you’re breaker
>>2373852
If it’s a dell running windows you're fucked.
>>2373955
It’s immigrants per spare cupboard these days mate.
>>2374063
Yeah sure if the ratings match. If the motors not huge there’s plenty of fan speed controllers out there that are single phase.
>>2374065
> 2373352
>haha
>>
Bought a couple solar panels, a inverter and a solar controller what else do I need aside from the battery? Also what use are those input diodes on the spec sheet?
>>
how do you measure the amp draw of a light bulb without a specific tool?
put a load on it where it shines and measure amps of the circuit, right?
>>
>>2374213
>all replies are non-answers or just wrong
you know you're not actually obligated to post, right? but here's your (((((you))))) to make you feel like you contributed something
>>
>>2374386
>all replies are non-answers or just wrong
boomers gotta boom
>>
>>2374213
>no more than 5 gallon
I bought a 9 but it’s way smaller. I think that guy is rocking a 16 gallon.
>>
File: PXL_20220430_213216252.jpg (2.38 MB, 4032x3024)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
What is this unit under my sink? It started running non stop so i unpugged it. Can i still use the sink with it unplugged? Apologies for nastiness
>>
>>2374638
>Cia
I don't know..
>Coffee
Its a filter free coffee maker with a built in steel mesh filter but didnt work well, so i just kept it under the sink. Better to use paper filter
>>
Frostproof spigot is blasting water out of these little holes. Need help on what these holes are called, how water is getting into them, and why there is so much pressure coming out of them.
>>
>>2374634
https://www.esupplydepot.com/p-47-little-giant-506158-6-cia-115v-10ft-cordreplaces-506168506174506268506909.aspx

Hope I’m getting trolled and you’re not too dumb/lazy to google the model number
>>
File: fucking_mini_fridge.jpg (1.11 MB, 1512x2016)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
picked up a mini fridge I saw on the side of the road and am going to fuck around and repurpose it to make a cold plate. My arms are burned out and fingers sliced from pulling this bitch apart. Is there an easy method to this? Keep in mind i'm a stupid idiot and this is the stupid question thread before insulting my dear mother.
>>
Will linseed oil/BLO do anything to glue joints?
How long should I wait for wood glue to cure before finishing with oil, if it affects glue joints?
>>
File: 1597252893324.png (88 KB, 300x300)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>2374634
>what happened to elisa lam?
>>
>>2374342
If it's a standard incandescent light bulb you can just measure the resistance while unplugged and calculate it. Otherwise, yeah, measure the amps.
>>
I have a whirpool washing machine, it uses a timer, couldn't find the exact model. but it says heavy duty on it and only has 2 dials.

So far it works BUT:
1) Main problem, it wont fill anymore, i have to fill it with a hose for it to start washing, it washes and drains properly.
2) Some time ago it started leaking oil, could i realistically just use motor oil or lithium grease on whatever was leaking and plug it with something?

Where would i start troubleshooting and fixing this?
So far after basic googling it could mean.
>>
File: file.png (94 KB, 950x484)
94 KB
94 KB PNG
What's the purpose of a DCC (DC contactor) or SSR (solid state relay) in a solar electrical system?

I'm seeing people saying I need one, but I cant actually see them in most 12v and 24v build photos.
>>
>>2374930

It's the main disconnect mechanism the BMS uses to cut power to the load in the event there's an issue with the battery. Could simply be empty, could be too hot, too cold, failed cell, or what have you. This may include overcurrent, but, frankly, I'm not a fan of the BMS handling this. There should be a thermomagnetic switch (breaker) to handle moderate overcurrents, and a fuse for catastrophic shorts. BMS should only use current monitoring for coulomb counting.

Smaller systems may not use a contactor at all. A lot of BMSs have what effectively amounts to a built-in SSR. These should still be fused, of course.

Source: I'm working on designing a BMS on the other screen.
>>
>>2374947
Oh wow I lucked out with a pro lol.

Ok that makes sense I figured it was the main cutoff but every system already has fuses, breakers, and often smart mppts/inverters that prevent overcharging/discharging. So it seemed redundant. But I guess there's not many alternatives for over-temperature and failed cell protection so it'll have to stick around.

I've been designing a solar system with a bunch of built in redundancies but the weak point keeps coming back to the BMS. If the BMS fails to identify a failed cell or a cell overheating and it damages the rest of the pack im kinda SOL lol. I guess I could have a separate temperature monitor that'll set off a warning beeper but idk how I could add a redundancy to avoid failed cells exploding without adding a 2nd BMS on top of the first.

You dont happen to work for chargery do you? lol
>>
>>2374960
>but the weak point keeps coming back to the BMS

The BMS _is_ the redundancy. In an ideal world, it would never be needed. The only reason it should ever kick in with any regularity is to prevent overdischarge. As you pointed out, a smart inverter makes even that redundant. Unless something bad happens, the BMS should only need to act as a balancer, and maybe control a heater if the pack is in a place where extreme cold is a problem. For everything else, it's a fallback.

>You dont happen to work for chargery do you?

I don't. I'm putting together a small solar system and found that all of the BMS offerings in what I thought was a "reasonable" price range were either questionably-made Chinese crap with bad software, or like $200+. So I figured "fuck it, I'll do it myself". Spent the last month pricing parts, revising the design who knows how many times, and trying to fit this ~550-component BOM into as small a board as I can.

Only question now is whether I can find the cash to start production and grease UL/CE hands.
>>
>>2373194
DIY, why cant I use sunflower oil instead of motor oil? All blogs I read tell me not to do it but they dont explain well why.
>>
>>2373980
That would be a hectometer.
>>
File: boredom.jpg (1.4 MB, 1440x2154)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
What's up y'all. Sorry for this extremely noob question but I was bored today and tried to do something with the electronic components that I bought years ago but never really got around to learning how any of it works. Why doesn't the LED bulb light up?
>>
File: this thing.jpg (29 KB, 350x363)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
This thing stuck.
I want to take it apart following a youtube video and wd40 everything until it works again.
Good plan?
Need take apart Again to wipe off excess wd40 once it frees up and starts to move?
>>
>>2374974
organic oil will gum up after extended exposure to heat

basically your engine will cook the oil
>>
>>2375033
it did, once
small led can't handle that large amount of current and is ded
>>
File: sas.png (1.43 MB, 1920x1080)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
>>2375104
Also how take apart beyond this point if anyone knows?
I think those grey things are exactly what's stuck in mine.
>>
>>2374972
I hadnt looked at it that way before. That's a nice thought.

Lmao im in the exact same place as you but I have no electrical engineering experience or the time to figure it out. I bought a chargery BMS because it was the best price-performance I could actually find in stock anywhere. But after disassembling their 300A DCC Im starting to wonder whether it was money down the drain cause this build quality is bizarre. The lugs+heatsink assembly are literally only supported by a dozen or so metal pins. The first one didn't even survive shipping since a tiny bump sheared them ;_; Not to mention the UI looks like it hasn't been touched with the early 90s. I would've bought an overkill cause Will sucks them off but they are terminally out of stock

I hope you make a good BMS for all our sakes lmao
>>
how long should it take to drain 0.677 cubic meters of water(nearly full volume of reservoir) through a 20 meter long, 0.04 m diameter hose?
think i get how to calculate this, but have absolutely no reference of scale and the 20+minutes that am getting intimidates
>>
>>2375311
179 gallons, 1.5 inch diameter hose.
really just looking for a sense of scale here
>>
>>2375104
>>2375121
Nvm got it. Man. WD40... so good. Is there anything it can't do
>>
Over a year ago my lady started asking for a standalone range hood, so I ordered a wh101b36d from Lowes.

Finally got around to opening up the box today and it seems there's no 'support frame brackets' and the polynesian chick behind the counter (understandably) refused to exchange it.

Anyone know where I can get these rail or should I really just buy whole new range hood?
>>
>>2375475
Link to manual/part https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1475728/Winflo-Wh101.html?page=6#manual
>>
File: 4chin.png (1.2 MB, 1846x832)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
https://www.espb.cz/Linearni-LED-svitidlo-1500mm-60W-3000K-IP67-d44426.htm

I got these used LED lights, but I dont know how to connect them to power. They came with 5 loose wires. If it was 3 I would know to connect to a outlet with live, neutral, and ground - but Ive never seen 5 wires before. Is it related to dimming? I dont care about dimming. How can I safely hook up this lamp? In the photo you see what is inside each of the sides: even more messy wires.

60W-3000K-IP67-d44426LED
220V
max 500mA
>>
I need a brand recommendation for insulating my garage door. Preferably if I can get it from the home depot, I just don't want my garage to become a furnace during the summer.
>>
>>2375475
Just order a second one and return the first one with the second receipt.
>>
>>2373194
What's wrong with ridgid tools? A lot of hate on here but I already bought into the battery line before I knew there was a dislike for some of their tools. I've got an old hand me down skilsaw circular saw that's falling apart, I need a new one, preferably cordless and I heard that ridgids saws are subpar compared to their competition. Should I bite the bullet and start getting tools from a different line? I'm just a hobbiest starting out with woodworking.
>>
>>2375503
Can’t read Czech but it’s EU so there should be wiring instructions in the box it came in. Could be a switch/sensor connection but no way to tell without a schematic.
>>
File: 20220502_141804.jpg (1.88 MB, 2822x1271)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
I have these speakers i got from a broken tv. I want to use them for my pc but I don't know how to install them like how to position them. Any advice? My idea was putting them under the desk facing the wall and hear the reflected sound from the wall or build a flat enclosure and leave them under the monitor.
>>
File: PSX_20220502_115156.jpg (246 KB, 1125x1500)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
The valve has broken on my compressor and there is a piece stuck in the outlet, what is the best way to remove it without damaging the tank and threads?
>>
>>2375503
>>2375879
Here is a close-up of the part that goes into the socket (got photo from seller). Does anyone know why the leads labeled 1,2,3 all seem to be Live? Whats the purpose - seems redundant to me! I guess its probably related to that these lamps can be connected to each other in a row.
>>
>>2376127
Forgot image...
>>
how to buy a magic wand online that wont be direct-to-landfill trash? all the marketing is fake and full of knockoffs.
Id like to avoid having to buy 5 shit ones before I get a decent vibration motor that doesnt die afyer one use.
>>
>>2376107
Probably one of those screw extractor sets would work just fine. Basically a left handed tap and matching screw to engage those threads.

Cheaper option would be a thin file and file some slots inside it and then either a massive bladed screwdriver or similar to unscrew it.
>>
>>2376107
Oof, this pic makes me anxious. Yeah like other said, one of the screw extractor kits. If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to get a hacksaw blade type that fits inside the pipe fitting, and then carefully cutting a notch in the broken piece, then hopefully you can kind of peel it out
>>
how do i create a leak proof joints with metal by only cold working it? i kind of suck at welding/brazing, and it's not really feasible for what i need to do.
>>
>>2376221
Gaskets, o-rings, tight threading with plenty of plumber's tape, cold female/warm male press fit, sealant bukake...
>>
>>2373194
I welded together some scrap and made a shovel head.
Whats the best way to attach it to a wooden handle?
Its 1/2'' steel rod at the end
>>
>>2376250
Normally in shovels would fit a tapered handle into the also tapered tube, drill a hole sideways through both and put a rivet in. But if you use non tapered then maybe a few rivets in a row, or if it’s a solid tube press fit it and then secure it with a single rivet
>>
>>2376287
Sorry ignore this, I missed the last line of your post
>>
>>2375797
The fact that I own them makes one or two loud anons shit on them.

They’re fine for the money. TTI owns Milwaukee, Ridgid power tools, and Ryobi. The new stuff comes out for $$$$ with a Red case first, then 2-3 years later they stick it in an Orange case for $$$, and 2-3 years after that Ryobi will release the same tool for $$ with a couple less features.

It’s a mid-level tool brand for mid-level prices. Like Kobalt, you get performance up there with the more expensive brands for less money, but they don’t have nearly as big of a selection, you’re not paying for the innovative R&D of Milwaukee and DeWalt. Honestly these days for the weekender I shill Ryobi because that One+ HP stuff is getting close to pro level quality, they sell 2x 4.0Ah batteries for $80, and they have a ton of yard tools and random household shit for reasonable prices. Weekender probably wants some 18V yard tools, and if he wants one of those hybrid fans or a cordless vacuum, Ryobi will sell you one for $40 while Ridgid is $70 and Milwaukee is $100, and Average Joe doesn’t need the $100 Milwaukee that is built to be abused on a jobsite M-F week after week.
>>
>>2376287
I ended up bending a piece of sheet metal and using 3/8ths rod and some nuts to make a home made clamp. lol - its solid as fuck.
I wanted it to be a true DIY project so Im making the handle completely out of scrap too
>>
>>2376221
Every home hobbyist who doesn’t want to solder uses these nowadays. They used to leak after a few years or so but haven’t heard of that happening since the late 90s
>>
>>2375797
Diy tool people is a mix of trades people, tool enthousiasts and shills so any tool or brand that’s not premium tier quality usually gets hate, while most of them are fine for the average hobbyist

>>2376296
You can’t call other people loud anons if you’re the loudest namefag after bepis

>>2376127
Could for interconnecting yes, could be redundant or used in a different way on different models. Or could be that the lamp are divided in three sections that can be turned on/off individually
>>
I just got a bag of concrete mix and it has a bunch of fucking pebbles in it. I understand they add strength but I don't want to be walking on pebbles. Is that even a thing? I have been walking on cement my whole life and it's been smooth with no pebbles but they must be there. Do they sink to the bottom before it hardens?
>>
Where can I buy a power bank for powering outdoor lighting? I'm making myself a small grilling/firepit area on the far side of my yard for this summer and want to put up some posts with lamps on them. But I don't want to run an extension cord across my yard. Just need a battery pack that can run a few lights for a couple hours.
>>
>>2376315
They sublimate, it's because lime is so basic.
>>
Hey /diy/, just working on making some cool kitchen tongs. However, I am running into a problem: I can't figure out the hinge.

Does anybody know what type of hinge is used on tongs? It seems to be some kind of "torsion spring" with a sliding metal piece to lock them closed when not in use. I'm just wondering if anybody knows a website where I can order an assembly like this to use on my custom tongs.

I tried mcmaster carr and found the springs but no avail on a complete locking assembly. Even a few key words would really help. Thanks
>>
>>2376314
>the loudest namefag after bepis
Topkek

>>2376321
Do the math and figure out how many watt-hours you need. There’s a million options now, they start to call them “power stations” and sometimes “generators” at a certain size and not “power banks”.

Also if you have any cordless power tools, your brand might sell 120V adapters for those. You can get some beefy ones if you have big outdoor power equipment batteries like Ryobi 40V, but I know they have cheaper like 100W-200W plugs that will go on top of an 18V battery.
>>
I want to develop my hands on diy skills. I've been a diylet my whole life, I had never even turned a screwdriver until I was in my early 20s and did my first pc build. I have my own house now and it came with a workshop/shed that's about 20x24. It's completely empty but money isn't a big issue. What are some "babby's first project" things I could do?

I always wanted to do more hands on stuff but like, dad was good at it but saw it as a necessity and took no joy in it, and was too impatient to teach me stuff, he would just get home from work and want the shit taken care of asap rather than fucking around with it. I joined a construction crew as a summer gig, the dude promised he could teach people no experience required, then told me after the first day it wasn't going to work out, he never imagined he'd get somebody that didn't know what a crescent wrench was or who didn't know "righty righty lefty loosey" and he was lost on where to even start with me. I had very little confidence for a long time with this stuff but I figure no one can change that but me
>>
>>2376391
bruh. I recommend starting with some simple woodworking, check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vFGrNjT4P4

You can search youtube for beginning woodworking tools and you'll get several lists covering what you should have, you said money isn't an issue so if you're willing to drop ~$2000 you can have a seriously well furnished amateur wood shop.

How the fuck did you not know what a crescent wrench was? what age were you at that time? you said you built a pc so I assume you at least know basic hand tools by now, right? We don't have to literally start at shit like "how to turn a screw and not fucking destroy everything you touch in the process" right?
>>
>>2376391
>>2376397
sorry that's not the video I thought it was, that one he just jumps into cutting shit on his table saw without explaining anything, this is the one where he explains a little more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCNgrOR8FEU
>>
>>2376397
>>2376402
Thanks I'll check it out. I was 17 when I took that summer gig. And yeah, I've done some basic stuff now, I built a PC and I've detail stripped my guns for cleaning and managed to reassemble them. But I'm only familiar with those specific systems. The most complex thing I've done is file fit a new trigger in a 1911.

Woodworking to make stuff does sound interesting, making my own desks and tables sounds cool.
>>
reposting from the consoomer thread

what are the most useful pneumatic tools? my grandad is gifting me a compressor he doesn't use. apparently my aunt bought a gas station once and there was a 5hp 60 gallon compressor in it they pulled out and stuffed under my grandad's shed, then her and her husband divorced and both said they didn't give a fuck about it and grandad could keep it, but he already has a compressor and doesn't want to fuck with this one, so now it's mine

I don't have a fucking clue what I'm going to use a compressor that big for
>>
>>2373852
Take out the ram and put it back in again
>>
>>2376514
Compressors are cool. You can easily install permanent air stations with 1/2” copper pipe and fittings for cut off area, sand blast zone, impact wrench application space. Etc.
>>2376333
take flat piece of steel. Bend to 45 degree agree. Walla you have tension machination. Now use your imagination and put it together.
>>2376133
Buy once cry once
>>2375964
Learn about audible frequency propagation theory and come back.
>>2375768
How do you insultate garage door? Are you converting to living space? Are you Mexican?
>>
File: 1627157677726.png (433 KB, 612x612)
433 KB
433 KB PNG
>>2376539
>How do you insultate garage door? Are you converting to living space? Are you Mexican?

heat goes through metal garage doors easily, and if you live somewhere where it gets in the high 90s you end up with a garage that serves as a oven. If you have anything worth while in there then that excess heat will damage it.
>>
File: PSX_20220503_002433.jpg (268 KB, 1500x974)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>2376193
>>2376218
It went great, the thin file idea + kinda peel it off was an easy success, and then I thought, I don't even have to buy another one, I flipped it around and screwed it back in, with the handle flattened and also flipped so it opens the other way
>>
>>2376539
>Learn about audible frequency propagation theory and come back.
Uhm I know already that stuff.
>>
i have a racing bike with 700x23c tyres, but i'm getting so many punctures. i want to change to a thicker tyre as i've never had problems on other bikes. are bike rim widths standardised? ie. could i install 700x32c? or would i need new rims entirely
>>
>>2376577
Good on you, op. 5/5
>>
>>2373194
Hello everybody - RF n00b here

I have this 433 MHz vibration detector I'd like to use to know when I get mail.

When the detector is RIGHT NEXT to my mailbox it'll be able to reach my receiver - however when it's inside the box, not so much. The box being metal is probably not helping at all.

What can I do to make the range better?

Can I just unsolder the antenna wire and replace it by a longer one? If yes, would any length do?
>>
>>2376744
Put the reciever inside the box as well as the detector. That's how NASA did it in Apollo and that was a million miles from earth.
>>
>>2374898
The resistance of light bulbs changes a lot depending on voltage though. Calculating from the unplugged resistance will give you a much higher power/amp draw.
>>
>>2376744
drill hole in box and stick antenna through hole
>>
File: IMG_3150.jpg (279 KB, 900x1200)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
The basement in this house has a sump well, and also a center floor drain which drains into the well. Is it supposed to have standing water in it? If I pour a bucket down it, the water does get to the well and up the pump so it's not clogged, just wondering why there's always a base level of water in the drain pipe.
>>
>>2376817
>>
My gas oven has been taking a while to heat up lately. Today I noticed that it makes a weird rythmic humming noise when it's heating up. Does anyone know what that could be? Could it be related to the heating issues?
>>
Just realised I posted it the wrong thread.

My bike has a lot of connectors like these (also 6, 8, 2 and 12 pin ones). Many are failing due to oil ingression and old age. Is there a similar connector I can replace these with (both sides) that comes in many sizes, is easy to install in place and doesn’t require a $200 crimp tool?

So far I found molex mini fit and micro fit, but it seems I can’t order a box with different sizes anywhere.
>>
Cordless tools have pretty much now become the standard that everyone uses, are there any tools that are notably superior corded/pneumatic compared to battery operated?
>>
File: 0Uljc43.webm (2.46 MB, 720x1080)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB WEBM
Can anyone here recognize what kind of metal this is or at least what was used to cut it? Found it in the bottom of an old toolbox, feels like the most solid object i've ever held.
>>
>>2376954
>notably superior corded

Maybe the tech has improved, but the last time I was in construction a few years ago cordless circular saws were not being used. Everybody hates dragging a cord around, so if you see a cord it means there's a good reason.
>>
>>2376756
I hadn't laughed this hard in a while, thank you.

>>2376801
ugh - good idea, but the thickness of the reciever's body, plus that of the box makes me fear that the final antenna length won't be enough

Can't I just lengthen the antenna itself?
>>
>>2376961
Looks like a 3/4" thick slab of steel that was cut with a plasma cutter.
>>
>>2376906
Deutsch Connectors are going to be the most work, but the best.
>>
>>2373194
Does anyone have a good hvac learning resource? I’m kind of figuring it out as I go but wouldn’t mind some reading. I keep hearing shit from co-workers that I know is wrong
>>
>>2376954
>>2376975
Brushless changed the game on circular saws. The older cordless, the 6-1/2” were ok for plywood and trim but nobody really sold full size 7-1/4” because they would bog down on knots and stuff. The new brushless ones can put out 10A+ corded power though and they’re becoming more popular.

Maybe the angle grinder, but it’s not because the corded performance is better. Higher capacity batteries are putting out 15A 120V power, the same as you would get with an outlet, but you’re going to add weight if you want to draw 1800W for an hour straight. If you need to touch up shit with a grinder or do intermittent cuts, battery is just as good, but not it you’re leaning into the thing for 45min on end. Circ saw with a battery works good because it draws lots of amps for like 3 seconds to make a cut, angle grinder will draw lots of amps indefinitely when grinding hard.
>>
>>2377172
Nobody on the jobsite uses cordless circular saws
Likewise noboby on the jobsite uses an angle grinder

If you have a table saw, you have a generator or power for a corded circular saw and would never trust money cuts to a battery
If you have a welder, you would never fuck with battery life of a battery angle grinder.

"more cordless junk showing up on home depot shelves" is not "more popular in the real world"
>>
>>2377174
Table saw and shit is normally in one spot anyway so running a cord isn’t a big deal. Cordless angle grinders are bretty gud if you’re in a pickle and need to cut off this bent piece of whatever to make the truck survive until the end of the day. And I’m seeing more cordless circular saws, popular with handymen and maintenance dudes who might need to make half a dozen cuts to patch some stuff up, not full blown framing houses as much, but when you need to do an hour or two of work inside an operating business.
>>
>>2377174
>>2377184
my cousin builds decks/patios/sheds and does some other general handyman work, he has a full cordless tool suite including the circ saw. I'm not sure what corded items he still uses other than his portable air compressor & nailgun.
>>
>>2375352
Wont fix your broken soul.
>>
>>2377184
>need to make half a dozen cuts
True. People might not realize but for most people that’s like 99% of your usage. I’ve had many different trade jobs and I can remember every single time I’ve had to use the same power tool all day, it’s that’s rare. And of all the cordless tools to have the angle grinder is def one of the more useful ones. Really useful for when you’re in a pinch, which is pretty much going to be done after a single cut or two anyway.
>>
>>2376391
literally find a problem and fix it
the best /diy/ experience comes from necessity
>>
>>2373955
Yes.
>>
File: il_1140xN.804282638_mlay.jpg (181 KB, 1140x1140)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
I picked up an old Ledu lamp at an estate sale. It's missing the clamp. Anybody know where to get one, plans to 3d print one, or have any good /diy/ ideas?
Here's an example picture of what is supposed to be there.
>>
>>2377322
Here's all mine has
>>
Any tips on bracketing bookshelves for earthquakes? My house has thick (1/2 - 3/4 inch) baseboards so I can't get the shelves right up against the wall. I've seen some people say normal metal brackets will fuck up the wood, but the weird adhesive straps seem too flimsy. Is just screwing through the top support beam into the studs wall and leaving a gap for the trim a horribly stupid idea?
>>
Two more stupid questions:
My new house has a gas fireplace/stove heater thingy. I turn it on maybe once a day. Is it bad to turn it all the way off (pilot off) and shut off tge gas to it at the valve every night before I go to bed to keep the gas usage low?
Secondly, I got a heated toilet seat, but the cord doesn't reach the outlet so I got a short grounded outdoor extension cable and ran it over the medicine cabinet. It's a GFCI outlet and the cord doesn't get near the sink or floor, as long as I unplug it during showers will I not die via butt electrocution? Eventually I was gonna get raceway to cover the cord but for now it's just hanging out.
>>
File: 1640814094549.png (669 KB, 650x534)
669 KB
669 KB PNG
anyone wood whittling here?
my brother started recently but he lost his pocket knife and I'm looking for consoomer advice
I want to give him a new one for his birthday, but have no idea what should I look for
he's still a beginner and I don't know if a proper whittling knife would be better than a pocket knife
>>
>>2377324
This is the perfect project for babbies first 3d model
>>
>>2377378
https://morakniv.se/en/knifeseries/woodcarving-knife/
>>
Say I have a few things all powered by seperate power supplies/wall warts, e.g. a raspberry PI, a CD ROM drive, a fan etc... is there a primer on building a single PSU board that can handle everything I'm looking to power.
>>
What's the best way to mark tools with your initials? Any way to avoid the rust from doing it?
>>
I want to start painting old furniture but i dont want to use brushes , so Im wondering whats the best tool for this purpose , a spray gun, an airless paint sprayer , etc.
>>
the seat on my dirt bike is so stiff that replacing it with a plank of wood would be an upgrade, so I want to refoam it. what is the best type and density of foam to use in this application, and would it be better to entirely replace the old film or just put a layer on top of it and have it like a progressive softness sort of deal? the old foam might only be about an inch thick if that so I want to double it at least, make that bitch hella comfy so I'm not begging for mercy after only 2 hours of trail riding.
>>
>>2377468
second question: my wife's dirt bike is a pain in the cunt to find neutral when hot. it takes a lot of effort to go in between first and second when running so you shoot right past neutral, and when it's off easier to shift but still it just too easily goes between gears and seems to completely skip over neutral. even if you try to work the shifter by hand it takes like 10 tries before you can successfully find neutral, the lightest amount of pressure possible to be just enough to get the shifter to actuate still still results in a ,1>2 or 2>1 90% of the time. but when it's cold and lukewarm finding neutral is piss easy as it should be, only when it's fully warm does it become infuriating. it's a lifan 125 (1p52fmi) and while it only has about 10 hours on it so far it seems like it should have loosened up by now. any ideas or experiences with this?
also there's no neutral light because it's Kickstart only, of course.
>>
>>2375033
>Why doesn't the LED bulb light up?
It's either dead (most probably, as you didn't use any current limiting resistor) or reverse polarity (less likely, but still, try turning it around). Third option is that the 9V battery is dead.
>>
>>2376129
Color coding of the wires would suggest 3-phase connection (brown, black & gray being live). Which wouldn't make much sense for a single 60W LED light.
Reading the description however, these are pass-through and can be daisy-chained to a chain of up to 40 devices, using 3-phase (5 conductor) interconnects.
If you're connecting just one, use a normal 1-phase lead (3 conductors, brown-blue-yellow/green) and connect all three 1,2,3 terminals to the live just like it is in your second picture.
>>
>>2377324
>>2377322
I would probably take a piece of steel C profile, drill big hole for the lamp and small hole for the clamping part. You don’t need a tapped hole, two nuts wil do fine. Also these threaded feet and knobs can be found at most hardware stores
>>
How polluting are the chemicals used in screenprinting? Can it be done at home with just a leach field or will I fuck up my soil/grundwater?
>>
>>2377470
Check Lifan forums. Bike questions are best answered in make/model-specific venues.

https://www.chinariders.net/index.php?s=f18aebb119ef5a9c7141d58128b06120
>>
I need a small torque wrench for hvac fittings. The low end is 11ft lbs and the high end is 75ft lbs. Does anyone make something in that range or do I need 2 different ones, 1 being in inch lbs.
Or do you trust 10-100ft lb wrenches at 11ft lbs?
No chink options please, Murican or German etc only. Jap OK.
>>
>>2377527
https://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/ is a comfy resource. I lurked there heavily before tackling my vehicle and home projects.
>>
So what's the deal with pressure washers? I only want one but I want to clean my car and do "heavy duty" cleaning when I have to such as concrete cleaning. I tried finding adjustable ones but those are expensive. I want a 3000 or so psi but not trying to blast my paint off. Are the nozzles really the only way to adjust the pressure? I feel like that's waiting for an accident to happen with my car paint.
>>
I want to isolate the underside of a staircase. The top of the staircase is outside and the staircase is made of solid concrete with granite or something, but in winter the entire thing cools down and leeches heat from my house.

I’m putting some diagonal beams on the side walls and then some sheet (probably MDF) on those as the new ‘inside wall’ (blue line).

Do I need to fill the cavities between the new wall and the individual stairs with something (and if so, what? Shouldn’t fill it them up with big stacks of rockwool should I?), or can I just put a single layer of rockwool behind the sheet and leave cavities where the stairs are. I’m not worried about mice or other animals, just want it to be well insulated and no moisture.

Hope this makes sense
>>
>>2377646
Plug it into a vfd :)
>>
>>2377646
Nozzles are normally fine for adjusting over the entire range, the only accident I can imagine is you forgetting to adjust it, but if you get an expensive adjustable one it’s even easier to forget it as the adjustment dial is further away from you
>>
I have a large wooded area on my property. I'm making a little secluded camp site on it. The woods pretty quickly get overgrown. I want just a nice dirt circle out there where I can make a fire pit.

What is the best way to keep dirt...dirt. I don't want to have to clear it every week. Is there some sort of herbicide that will just fucking kill everything and nothing will ever grow again?
>>
>>2377476
Thanks!! What If I want to connect 4 in daisy-chain? Would it still be to connect only the first one as in the second picture?
>>
File: tension.png (10 KB, 574x341)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
why does lockpicking/raking with a tension wrench work?
like I get that the tension keeps the pins in place
but what is it that makes the pins settle in just the right position?

my understanding is that any lock worth its salt will have split pins designed in such a way that if you push them too far the cylinder will not rotate

or am I dumb?
>>
>>2377739
Till the ground, pour salt all over it, spray vinegar to soak it into the soil, then cover the area with waxboard (ask a local grocery store, lettuce gets delivered in it) and weight them down with rocks and wait a week. Nothing will grow there. Ever.
>>
What's the difference between a pigtail power cord specifically made for a garbage disposal and a regular pig tail?
>>
>>2377777
Nice digits bro
>>
>>2377793
Hopefully the advice is good too. I should have mentioned a weedmatt as well, I did this when I put down woodchips in my backyard that was infested with weeds and it's been 6 years and nothing has come back. I dumped about 2 grocery store... cylinder... things of uniodized salt over 150 sq feet and sprayed a gallon or so of vinegar after ripping out as many weeds as I could and bow raking the area like crazy, then raked it again and put down sand mixed with fine gravel about an inch thick then two layers of weedmatt then 2-3 inches of steppable redwood bark chips. Probably overkill but it only took an hour or so aside from wheeling the woodchips in from the truck.
>>
>>2377739
just lay down mulch
>>
After a nice day huffing router microplastics, I'm in the market for a p-100 dust mask.

Anyone have any recommendations for one that works with glasses?
>>
in australia, where can I buy a solid block of wood that's at least 550x50x200mm? Looking to make a wooden chasis for my keyboard that has it sitting up at an angle. I could probably get some thinner boards and glue them together? I haven't really done anything like this before.

bunnings seems to only have like thin planks (nothing 50mm thick) unless I'm buying like sleepers at 2.5m long, and then it's not exactly a nice looking wood either. Don't ask me what kind of wood I want either, I only know what pine and oak are because i am stupid
>>
>>2376857
its not a p trap, its a terra cotta pipe that gfoes right into an open floor drain with no vent stack
>>
File: IMG_20220504_222314448.jpg (2.12 MB, 3072x4096)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
Good evening gentlemen. I just purchased a home and this is plugged in on the wall in the garage. I do not know what it is. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance.
>>
>>2377971
It's a clock timer to cycle an appliance on and off throughout the day.
>>
Does concrete stain come out nice or will it look like shit?

It's a very permanent thing that I am afraid of
>>
>>2376991
doesnt look smooth enough for plasma, looks more like oxy acetyline with the shit grinded off.
>>
How can I make diy more enjoyable. I've renovated 2 apartments and am now putting in a new kitchen, it's not a question of capability, but I hate doing it. I derive no pleasure from it, and get 0 feel good sense of accomplishment once it is finished, it is a chore from start to finish. I only do it because getting trades in is almost impossible in the current climate.
>>
>>2377949
Construction lumber like pine comes in construction sizes (like 2000mm+), and they usually don’t sell short sizes because carpenters people can cut them to size.
You could ask a store if they have any 4x6 off cuts.
Also laminating pine is pretty easy and comes out like one big piece.

Would not recommend pine for something you touch a lot, unless you finish it with PU or something. Maybe a lumber yard will sell you a block of cherry
>>
>>2377760
Yeah, four should still probably run fine just from one phase. Make sure to use the original interconnects tho in order to not fuck up anything downstream and/or avoid any GCD/GFCI related issues. GCDs are mandatory even for lighting circuits in CZ now.
>>
>>2378018
Why is it connected back to the outlet tho?
If you want to tell me there are at least two different circuits in that 4-gang, the poor gent has more problems than just an unidentified device.
>>
File: 20220503_173745.jpg (2.01 MB, 1814x2419)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
I'm re-tiling my bathroom. It's on a concrete slab and there is/was no underlayment under any of the existing tile. I've laid tile before but used underlayment, but I guess it's not 100% necessary on concrete so I may forgo it because it will look cleaner due to less height difference with the neighboring tile.

Assuming I go that route what kind of sealer do I need to use on the concrete? I read epoxy but that seems overkill and a pain to apply. Can I use polyurethane or something else? Or is it a stupid idea to re-lay tile directly on the concrete and should I just use underlayment anyway and live with the height difference?
>>
>>2377646
3000psi will be fine, you can use a wide nozzle and not worry about shit.

I have a 2000psi electric one, used a ~3000psi gas one at work a lot and neighbor has a >4000psi gas one I have used a few times. I’ll probably get down on a gas one eventually.

The little 1500-2000psi ones are good for watching the car and such, but I got the smaller surface cleaner for it and it’s not as fast as the gas ones. The 4000psi gas ones will blast off any shit on the ground and you can clean larger areas with lower pressure. Anyway even with a 3000psi model, you can use a smaller nozzle and get pretty damn close to the car without causing damage unless the pain is already messed up or you get right under some trim. The force of the water drops off real fast with distance, with a narrow nozzle it might damage your skin at 1/2”, sting at 2”, but >6” and it becomes like a mist.

tl;dr: get the highest pressure you can afford and deal with, it’s easy to not blast paint off, but it’s not easy to blast paint off with a weaker model when you want to blast paint off.
>>
Retard here doing my first project ever. I'm trying to add some ventilation to make back yard firepit to keep smoke down. I'm going to put a pipe leading into the pit and then blow some air throw the pipe with a fan. Will aluminum be good for this?

https://www.amazon.com/FT-Diameter-Aluminum-Tubing-Temper/dp/B08W8YJ6M5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2LYRLWXVDV8HK&keywords=aluminum+pipe&qid=1651780577&sprefix=aluminum+pip%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQTIzWFkzTjNSTzlPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODcwNjQxQUhLUjZIREU1STNFJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MzQ5MjAxWUFDS1VEMDFBR1ZZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It would need to withstand the heat of the fire, and also not collapse under about a foot of soil.
>>
>>2378502
> Will aluminum be good for this?

No. If you’re going to blow air into a wood fire it can easily reach its melting temperature, and most aluminium alloys lose half their strength around 200C. Want you can do is use an aluminium tube for the longer part and a ceramic tube for the last meter or so
>>
>>2377762
There is always some clearance for the pins to be able to move within their slots, and there’s some manufacturing tolerance on the size of the pin. So the pins are not all exactly the same size.

If you keep tension on the lock and move a the largest pin to exactly it’s right position, the the lock rotates a tiny bit, and will push against the next largest pin (that is not in the correct position yet). This lets the top part of the largest pin get stuck on the ‘ridge’ created by the tiny rotation.

It’s difficult to explain in words but one video and the notion that the pins aren’t all the same size should explain it easily
>>
File: file.png (713 KB, 987x687)
713 KB
713 KB PNG
Is there any way to downplay a 4" step-up on the front door sill? It's necessary to keep the door and windows level with each other for aesthetic purposes as well as raise the door glass so I can see out it properly (I'm 6'4").

The door leads directly into steep steps.
>>
File: 093.png (902 KB, 624x601)
902 KB
902 KB PNG
redpill me on gutters. seem easy enough to install by yourself, just make sure they slope towards the downspout and you're good to go, right?
I can buy PVC or aluminum gutters, which material should I go with? one person I talked to told me PVC is leaky shit so get aluminum, and another person told me aluminum is leaky shit so get PVC. what gives?
>>
Im trying to figure out if my new motorcycle battery is bad or I have a drain on it. Ive disconnected the negative terminal and put a volt meter on it and the ground and its showing .75 volts but when I turn the key on I get the full 12. Does that .75 mean there is a drain?
>>
>>2378211
Diy hobbies tm
>>
>>2378576
Pay someone to get and install seamless aluminum gutters.
>>
>>2378601
Use the ammeter function to measure drain.
>>
>>2378576
shit is super easy. get alum if you live in a moist environment. get steel if you live in hot dry environment. very slightly slope that shit to the outlet. you don’t need hardly any slope regardless of what they say. avoid seams if possible. allow for expansion and contraction. clean the shit yearly and don’t waste your money on gutter guards. their a waste of money in 90% of the applications. if you don’t install yourself DO NOT hire a handyman. hire a gutter installer who is white. mexicans can’t problem solve and lack basic math skills.
>>
>>2378683
Thats what I was originally trying but it wasn't showing anything even when I turned the key on. I brought a meter from work and I just tried it and it worked turns out I had a blown fuse in my meter
>>
File: slater log.jpg (81 KB, 736x464)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
I want to make a strongman log for my homegym but new to woodworking. I joined a makerspace so I have access to a good amount of tools. I'm going to get a log, plane it smooth then cut out the hand holes but I'm not sure how best to do that. My current thoughts are to mark out the hole then drill out most of the material with a forstner bit, clean up the sides with the chisel but the center spurs of the drill bit will make the bottom of the hand holes shit looking. What would be a good way to clean up the bottom of it (any easier method than a lot of sanding) or is there a better way to do the whole thing?
>>
>>2378518
I guess I expected too much of the machining precision in most locks
>>
>>2374719
The valve packing/seal is wasted. Replace valve.

>>2374742
You mean like an anti-griddle? I hope you tested it first, it was on the side of the road for a reason. I highly doubt you'll be able to make it do what you want it to do.

>>2374926
So, the fill valve is bad? The motor in it has sealed bearings, if the oil has leaked out there's no way to re-oil them. Motor failure is imminent. Time for a new washer.

>>2376577
Sweet, good job anon.

>>2377971
Looks like a sprinkler timer.
>>
Can I use MDF as interior wall material or should I really use ply? It’s for a small storage room. There will be many shelves but they’ll be screwed into the studs. The actual wall is made of brick but I’m building an isolated wall against it to keep the cold out.

Also 18mm MDF vs 12mm MDF vs 12mm ply vs OSB? Ply is 2.5 times the price of MDF here, OSB about 1.2

Just from a structural point of view btw not going to ‘live’ in it and it’s well ventilated so I’m not bothered by VOC or whatever.
>>
>>2378821
You ever lifted a sheet of mdf? You should probably go do that at the store so you can understand.
>>
>>2378826
Yea I worked a lot with it making display stands and housings and shit but from thinner sheets (8-12) but never tried screwing them to studs 60cm apart, every few centimeters. Adding additional studs in between is cheaper than using ply
>>
I'm trying to stop a cat from trying to fight another cat underneath a door. (She's normally the most skittish, polite, and gentle cat ever, yet she's fucking bodyslamming the door to squeeze her tiny legs under it in an attempt to eviscerate our other cat. Her breathing gets so heavy when she's in this mood it sounds like she's seething with murderous intent.) I've already attached a draft blocker to the door so that they can't see each other, but since it's flexible on the bottom, she's still pushing her legs under it.

Measuring the full gap underneath the door, it's about 30.25" wide, 1.5" thick, and 1.25" tall (we think our hardwood floors used to be carpeted, as that would explain why the doors have such big gaps under them). What I'd like to do is get a hard, rubber block that fills that gap. The rubber shouldn't slide around on the hardwood floor, and it shouldn't damage it either. However, I'm not finding any stores that sell custom rubber block sizes. I'm finding options for getting custom-sized wood blocks, but that could slide around and I don't want to deal with adhesive that I'd have to clean up later. (We still dream of the cats eventually getting along.)

Does anyone know of a way to get custom-sized rubber blocks? Or does anyone have any other ideas for how to seal the gap beneath the door?
>>
What kind of lumber are they using to make those stairs? I see it on trails all the time? Where do I buy this?
>>
>>2378927
Railroad ties. You can buy them at Lowe's.
>>
File: FrogFixtures_800_600.jpg (354 KB, 800x600)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
picrel: Is there a particular name for this type of square button?
>>
File: ground_rod.jpg (2.62 MB, 4624x3472)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>2373194
got a ground rod in my basement installed recently and now there is a hole in floor. Apparently I don't have a ground plate so the ground floor is only a couple inches thick and below there is sand for 4m. Anyway how do I seal this whole now? Its a ground rod made out of zinc so maybe cement? It needs to stop ground water from coming inside or (further) damaging the surroundings I am not really sure how thats going to work out.
>>
>>2378884
My sister had the same problem. I went to a local arts & crafts shop and some thin acrylic sheets and used a heat gun to put two 90° folds in them the width of her door, cut to size and attached with adhesive backed velcro strips to close the gap
>>
>>2378929
>>2378927
They're usually $25-40, if they're charging less it's probably rotted and more is a ripoff. Make sure they're treated/coated.
They're usually 8 feet long, so make sure you have a car that can carry them and a saw to cut them, and something to seal the cut end.
>>
>>2378927
Railroad ties. You can steal them from the railroad. Getting them from the yard is usually easier than pulling them from under the tracks fyi.
>>
File: dehumid.jpg (10 KB, 284x483)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Does anyone have experience with dehumidifiers? I live in southern TX and it gets really humid here. My gatherings always end up with everyone hanging out in the shed (which is not insulated), but sometimes it gets unbearable even with a fan and some windows open. There's only a single 20amp circuit running to it as it's mostly for storage, but I was wondering if a ~400sqft dehumidifier would do the trick, combined with maybe a box fan. Keep in mind it's just some smart siding, OSB sheathing and studs. It has a metal roof so that helps a bit. And before you ask, "why not just hang out in the house?" it's because we can't get loud and rowdy in there.
>>
>>2378531
I would just put a 4" wedge that slopes down there, think like a wheelchair access ramp. You've probably seen them in various places. Four inches is pretty big, though, at least that's what my wife told me.
>>
>>2377665
If you're worried about moisture, at all, I wouldn't use MDF as it doesn't like getting wet.
And the answer to your main question, I guess, is that the more insulation you use, the less heat is going to leach out of your house. If the investment is not too steep, it will likely be worth the price of insulating in the long run, or even in the mid-term run depending on how bad it is.
>>
electric weed eaters vs gas powered? thinking of getting an electric weed eater because it's so fucking annoying to deal with constantly getting a 2 stroke to work well every summer. everything else gas powered is ez pz, minimal work but weed eaters have to fuckign suck ass
>>
>>2379313
Nothing wrong with em in my experience, other than they don't last very long (per use I mean. their longevity in the long term may vary), so if you have a big yard you're liable to run out of battery before you finish.
Then again, that may have just been the one I used. It's worth considering before you buy. (I imagine you're talking battery powered)
>>
>>2379324
Yep talking battery powered. I've only got about 1/3 acre so I don't need an extremely long use per charge. I was considering picking up a battery for another tool for $140 & the battery weed wacker with battery is $160 so I might just go for it & sell it if I don't like it.
>>
>>2379332
Still running the 2-stroke weed eater, but I’ll probably grab 18V soon. So far the 18V 22” hedge trimmer, blower, and babby chainsaw have been impressive and more than enough for suburban household 1/4 acre lots. Only time I ever need more than one battery for a job is when I’m taking down trees with the chainsaw that are probably too big for the little mini saw.

If you’re doing OPE only, thw Ryobi 40V all looks pretty based, otherwise go with whatever battery platform you use for your drills and stuff, a 4.0 or 6.0Ah 18V battery should get the job done. I’m a lot less skeptical of the stuff than I was a few years ago, although I probably wouldn’t do a battery mower yet, and that’s partially because 4-stroke mowers are easier to deal with than little 2-stroke stuff.
>>
>>2378227
>2000mm
What the FUCK is wrong with euros??
>>
>>2379489
Technical schools tell us to write everything under 10m in millimeters.
>>
I want to make a large LED panel to hang on the wall - it would mostly just be used for artificial sunlight, but I would also like it to do different colors. Can RGB LED strips produce ~5000 kelvin white light? Would most LED strips be bright enough, or would I have to seek more powerful LEDs?
>>
File: 1.jpg (402 KB, 1500x2000)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
Can anyone suggest a polish to get rid of picrelated scratches / swirl marks on my stove/oven? It is a GE oven, the scratched area is made of metal, but it is black metal. I don't know how metal finishes work or anything so idk what kind of polish to use. I have tried Flitz brand multi-purpose polish and it didn't work, and I have tried Turtle Wax scratch and swirl remover intended for cars, if that helps narrow it down.
>>
live in the city and no house in my neighborhood has a lightning rod is that safe/normal? Houses are max 20m we do live 100m away from a large hospital tower.
>>
>>2379119
Update: I ordered one and I'm gonna see how it goes. Should be here Monday. Hopefully there will be many comfy parties in here in the future.
>>
File: locks.png (1.64 MB, 953x682)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
Found an ancient payphone used in my country maybe 30 years ago, in a dump (nothing illegal). It has two seemingly simple keyholes locking the change cache and the hinges connecting it to the back board, apparently identical. Locksmiths I spoke to said they'd charge a lot of money to likely just drill it out but I'd like to keep them intact. I was hoping I could simply find the keys online - I know jack shit about locks but I do know most locks used in official large-scale infrastructure are taken from open standards and have master keys for purchase.

Can anyone identify these locks based this image? I can't pick locks (yet), since it's a payphone holding money I doubt it would be as simple as pushing a screwdriver in and turning.
>>
>>2379589
The turtlewax stuff will work, you just need to keep going.
>>
I'm planning on replacing my transmission pan gasket and to put on the new one, I need to be able to tighten the bolts down to 12ft-lbs of torque.
I don't own a torque wrench yet, but I've been looking for one and I don't see many that go down below ~20ft-lbs. Anyone have any recommendations for one? Or is there some other technique to hitting such a low number of ft-lbs? I was thinking at worst I could get one that goes down to 20 and just guesstimate 12. If I hear it click obviously I went too far.
Also not looking to spend $200 on one if possible... I don't normally need a torque wrench but if it's a nice one I'll spend a bit of money.
>>
>>2379710
>12ft-lbs of torque.

I can't imagine using a torque wrench for a trans pan gasket, but they make them for lower ranges if you search. I'd put all the bolts in snug, then go around tightening them all just a bit more (yeah, I know it's better to zig zag all around to avoid warping), repeating this process until they all seem decently tight. If you are inexperienced then buy a wrench. Pic related would work for 20 ft-lbs
>>
>>2379722
>Pic related would work for 20 ft-lbs

derp. 12 ft-lbs
>>
>>2379710
You should really have two if you do automotive stuff. A 1/2” model good for ~200ft-lbs max, and then a smaller 3/8 drive inch-lb wrench. 12ft-lbs is 144in-lbs, look tor a smaller wrench that does that.

If you try to “do it all” with one wrench and get a 10-100ft-lb model, torque wrenches typically are dogshit at either end of the ranges and won’t be very close to the desired torque at 12ft-lbs.
>>
>>2379742
>dogshit at either end of the ranges

then pic related is good at 144 in-lbs if the wrench itself is ok.
>>
>>2379746
and a few that seem to actually be in stock
>>
>>2379703
Ok, I'll try it again, thanks
>>
what kind of hinge for a coffin/chest style box will both open it and lift it up? some kind of compound hinge? dunno the exact term
>>
>>2379722
With most other stuff I'd just guesstimate but I'd like to be a little more precise about it if I'm fucking with the tranny. Since I haven't worked with torque wrenches before it'd be hard to estimate 12 ft-lbs.
Are any of the cheapo ones from amazon any good? I'm not that worried about being super accurate but I'd like to be somewhat close. I don't need to clamp the pan down to 50ft-lbs...
>>
>>2379746
That Tekton is straight. Those are pretty popular.
>>
>>2379701
>pushing a screwdriver in and turning.
That's not lock picking. Yiu have to apply a bit of tension and jiggle the tublers. I'm very much an amateur, but once used my leatherman to harvest a sliver of metal from a broom handle to make an impromptu pick and opened a keyed (but locked) door at work. Since you aren't looking to preserve it, look into lock bumping.
>>
If I want something I've welding to not flex(diy wingnut), do I just dunk it in water?
>>
>>2377234
I really got no problems. just a dood with money and time, looking for something to do away from the computer and also wanting to develop a skill set I know I lack.

I'm taking the other anon's advice to try woodworking. I've been watching a ton of youtube videos about it and it seems like something I could really get invested in. A work friend I mentioned it to said I should try waiting until father's day because lots of the tools I'll need usually go on sale around then.
>>
>>2377646
i don't think you need to worry so much about paint damage. I use the pressure washer at my work place, a big commercial unit they use to washout refrigerated semi trailers, it has a lot of pressure and takes active effort to control the wand because it wants to take off and fling around like some fucking cartoon shit. it has never damaged my car's paint, I just make sure to keep the nozzle ~2-3ft away from the surface
>>
>>2379011
Silicone caulk, pick any color/brand you like. Should be only like $4, and the gun is another $3
>>
>>2379898
Well, some potential shit to do while you're waiting on a tool sale would be renovate the shed/workshop space. What lighting does it have? could it be better? replacing an old incandescent with some LED light bars can make a huge difference. if you're going to put a lot of nice stuff in there, better make sure the door(s) lock and are secure. maybe put new doors on. Does it have heating/ac? minisplits are cheap and make a great diy project, mr. cool sells units with precharged lines for diyers. It maybe would be worth buying a basic cordless tool set and getting started right now, and wait for sales for the bigger stuff like a table saw & miter saw.
>>
File: 1576487374210.jpg (2.06 MB, 2730x2048)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
I have this giant hole in my backyard. Can I just fill it with dirt?
>>
>>2376961
Carbon steel by the looks of it. Amount of carbon is in question. Other anon was right or a really good OAW torch.
>>
>>2377050
https://m.youtube.com/c/Theengineeringmindset/playlists
>>
>>2379921
Thats a good one for a lot of "how it works" theory. I also really like Craig Migliaccio's channel and website (acservicetech.com)
If you're interested, I will post a pdf of his book; it's excellent for the practical how-to side of doing diagnosis and repairs, mostly on residential systems
>>
>>2379916
You can use a variety of fill types (dump trucks don't care what they deliver) so consider what possible future use that area could have. For low spots in my yard and as a base for my shop slab I used railroad rock but that would need a cover layer of dirt to match a grassy lawn if that matters.
>>
>>2379920
Less the torch then the guide and a steady hand with the right gas pressures. I use a piece of angle iron as a torch straightedge for OA or plasma.

https://www.esabna.com/us/en/education/blog/how-to-improve-oxy-fuel-cut-quality.cfm

Cut in OPs pic looks like oxy-acetylene.
>>
>>2379710
Buy the wrench because torque "feel" is difficult to convey by anything but tactile experience. It's VERY common for noobs to manually overtorque pan gaskets deforming them and causing leaks. (Tighter ain't better.)

You don't need some high dollar wrench, just one that works. The point of torquing most automotive and other fasteners is ensuring the bolts in a pattern have similar torque to avoid deforming parts (like a trans pan) and their crush gaskets.

This USAF tech order is gloriously detailed at explaining torque wrench use and theory of operation (like how best to use adapter extensions).

https://www.robins.af.mil/Portals/59/documents/technicalorders/32B14-3-1-101.pdf
>>
>>2379889
Re-read my post, that wasn't my question at all. I want to find a key, not pick them.
>>
What's better for repainting a chain fence? Roller, brush or sprayer?
>>
could a ceiling made of 4x6 hold up a thin layer of concrete?
>>
File: IMG_50102.jpg (913 KB, 1512x2016)
913 KB
913 KB JPG
I need to replace a rotten retaining wall right next to my house. I already did this in the front a bit with garden ties (only 2/3 boards high), but this side goes up a bit higher and I want to see if I should do anything different. What I plan to do:

Lay down two or three wood garden ties, connect with spikes, drill through and use a few rebar rods with protective coating to stake into ground through them, then layer up the rest of way using spikes, with a slight lean in towards the house. I'll also use landscape fabric on the inside side to keep the dirt in.

Am I missing something? Do I need a gravel base or backfill for something small like this?
>>
File: Screenshot_14.jpg (29 KB, 373x563)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>decide to do a feature wall
>wall has wallpaper on it currently
>scrape that off
>paint it red
>don't like it
>when the sun hits it in the evening its like having terminator vision
>next week
>buy different paint, it's a different brand
>looks better when the light hits it but it'll take a few coats to cover the red
>do 5 coats
>take masking tape off door frame
>new paint peels right off the red paint
>any ding or mark I make in the wall shows red underneath
>paint isn't sticking

I clearly fucked up, possibly in multiple ways, how do I unfuck it? Paintstripper? Sand the whole wall down? Pay someone to fix it for me at this point because clearly I'm a retard when it comes to painting?
>>
>>2380139
>didn’t use a shot of black
>>
File: Roof-Deck-3.jpg (111 KB, 1258x457)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
I have to cut two 8" round holes through corrugated decking overhead tomorrow. I'll be about 13' up in the air on a ladder. I have access to a sawzall, 4" grinder, and 6" grinder. What's the best technique to get the cleanest looking holes without risking falling off the ladder? Really wish I had a nibbler, but that isn't an option.
>>
>>2380164
What about a jigsaw with a metal blade? You can always run the sawzall like a jig saw, but may not be the easiest to control in that position.
>>
>>2380134
you probably don't want soil retained up the side of your house
>>
>>2380167
Hm.. isn't that if it goes above the foundation? i.e. If I were to remove the dirt down to where the path is right now, there would be no difference of type of wall it sits next to. The bricks don't start until much higher up
>>
>>2380158
the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>2380166
Thought about that too, but I don't have a jigsaw available either. Planned on starting the cut with a grinder, then trying to use the sawzall. I know it isn't going to come out clean, and it's going to be pretty violent for working at the top of a ladder.
>>
I want to convert my bike into an e-bike.
What's the reliable cheap way to do it?
>>
Are peel and stick floor tiles OK for a bathroom? I'm worried that water would seep between the tiles.
>>
>>2376817
It's got a natural trap on it is what other anon is saying.
Otherwise you'd have sewer gas coming up through it 24/7, the water is your barrier.
It has a S trap just below the floor.
Always going to have a few inches of standing water in it, just make sure it never gets clogged or you'll back up all over your basement.
>>
>>2379701
Not sure if you see it, but that right picture looks like it has a key lodged in it already, you'll have to take them out 100% and replace them.
Look up the lock code 333 1609 and see if you can find replacement lock, I don't think you can preserve those.
>>
>>2379589
>>2379703
Anon was right, the turtle wax stuff did work. A cautionary tale for anyone with an electric stove with a glass cooktop: never use glass cooktop cleaner on anything but the cooktop. I know I'm retarded, but I had cooked burgers on my stove and the whole thing was covered with grease, and I assumed the cooktop cleaner was just a really strong degreaser or something, so I used it to clean the metal parts of my stove too. but now I know cooktop cleaner contains an abrasive that absolutely BTFO's metal, cuz that's how I scratched it up. But scratch and swirl remover for car paint fixed it
>>
File: IMG_6184.jpg (3.08 MB, 4032x3024)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
Is there any way I can dye the fabric on this saucer chair, without having to remove and resew it? The material is a dense short pile faux fur.

Does shit like spray fabric dye actually work and not rub off on things? Can I trust it on something that someone would be sitting on?
>>
>>2380235
The turtle wax is just am even finer abrasive.

I like Ajax or comet shake powder.l to disinfect or clean.

Decreasing is tough. I haven't really found a good solvent for it yet. I suspect they're not allowed to sell it to consumers for environmental reaspns.
>>
File: resized.png (2.79 MB, 2138x919)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB PNG
Noob here.
Check this wall. Not sure if I should steam off the wallpaper or remove all layers until I hit the brick wall and then pay a plasterer to add a proper layer.
Also the previous owner plastered a couple of m2 over the wallpaper :^).
House is from 1957 btw.
>>
>>2380247
Sure. Get a bigass tank (kiddy pool?), fill it with dye, and dunk it.

As for what to use, well, don't expect million dollar results with dollar store supplies.
>>
>>2380256
Ugh. Well, how much is your time worth? It is probably considerably faster, if messier, to take it down to the bricks instead of trying to save it. The question is, how much will a good plasterer cost vs how much of your time would you spend trying to save it?
>>
>>2380270
Good point I should get an offer from a contractor so I can make a decision. I'd gamble it will cost me about 2 to 3k euro. Because it is quite a lot of wall.
>>
>>2380270
Also I'm more worried about the end result than my time desu.
>>
>>2373194
Don't buy rigid. They make you crush the filters when you put them on. Buy a Stanley or other brand that you spin the filter onto.

Your lungs will thank you

>>2374002
He's fucking with you lmaooooo
It's m2
Literally just Google real estate in Europe lmaoooo
>>
>>2374868
24hours
Depends on the glue, but oil shouldn't do anything
>>
>>2380247
It looks like legs unbolt. If they is a seam in the ring part that bolts together, you might be able to remover it.

That material is most likely nylon (aka plastic), it doesn’t take color dye, only the natural fabrics do
>>
>>2375314
Depends on water shape.
A 1.5" diameter column of 180gallons would drain wayyyy after than a 1"d pool of the same volume
>>
>>2376304
It's shit like this that makes me hate /diy/
Buy what's cheap, DIY anything else
>>
>>2376315
This is the funniest post on 4chan
Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

THERES ROCKS
IN
MY
CONCRETE

bhmahahahahagahahabahahahababahahahahahahahahahahahah
>>
>>2376315
Concrete= cement+aggregates appropriately sized for the project

Cement=Portland cement= no aggregate
You normally take cement and mix it the appropriate aggregate
>>
>>2376817
Gold
>>
>>2377739
Landscape fabric+gravel
>>
>>2377778
All that matters is the plug and rated amperage
Stores designate the cords due to retarded DIYers(e.g. the pebbles in my concrete guy above)
As long as the cord is rated for the amperage of your appliance and plugs into the appropriate outlet, you're good to go
>>
>>2377950
Dude. It's a floor drain so the plumber installed the proper trap. You might not have a vent, but every drain (unless outside for storm drainage) has a trap
>>
>>2378033
It's usually not as concentrated as you want, so it might take extra coats

>>2378211
Get ripped on an energy drink before you start

Been working hard on my once-shithole house for 2 years now and, while I don't love DIYing for myself, I don't mind working on everything

Also, eat more
>>
>>2378339
I would seal any cracks but if you get a solid coat of mastic to set the tiles into, the acrylic should seal the concrete

You don't want to seal the concrete too much or the mortar/mastic won't stick

There are flooring primers, but concrete doesn't absorb moisture like other substrates so it's shouldn't matter
>>
>>2378531
Don't be a retard. Just set the door on the concrete and then use wider trim or whatever
>>
>>2378576
It all leaks. Hit your seams with brush on elastomeric (20/qt and should do a small house worth of gutters)
>>
>>2378730
Oscillating tool should help, then use a Dremel to clean up the bottom
>>
>>2378821
Just build the wall with drywall and vapor barriers on each side of the stud wall. If you're going into the studs anyway, why tf wouldn't you??
>>
>>2379710
>Curl your mom's 12lb dumbbell
>Apply that much pressure 1' away from the bolts on the wrench handle

Simple as. Those measurements are guesses anyway. Just don't go way over because you could strip threads
>>
>>2379824
You'll have to be more specific
I'm in cabinetry and we have 7 standard hinges we use
>>
>>2379966
That's a million to one long shot
>>
>>2380133
Be more specific about the scope of the project so we don't encourage you to inadvertently kill yourself
>>
>>2380158
Kek

>>2380139
You are in too deep at this point

Just keep painting it. Paint take a month to fully harden. If you have issues after 30 days, then we can talk about possible solutions
>>
>>2380221
No. The water will dissolve the adhesive

Lay down LVT and new toe molding and transitions
>>
>>2380335
The roof will span concrete block walls 7 feet apart. I want to add a pond liner over that then pave it with sealed concrete and ceramic so I can have a water feature run over it.
>>
>>2380361
Why do you think it needs to be concrete?
If it's aesthetic, you have a wide range of options that don't weigh so much
>>
>>2380367
Aesthetic and evaporative cooling. I would love to use something else what do you suggest? It just needs to be water tight.
>>
>>2380368
If you use flat roofing material or something to waterproof it, you could stucco, wood, rock anything over top that isn't concrete
>>
>>2380227
>looks like it has a key lodged in it already
Isn't that just a tumbler that would pop up when the key is pushed in?
>>
>>2380361
Depends heavily upon how much water you're planning to put there, although the way you've said it leads me to think you're planning to have something like a fountain or waterfall type of feature without any standing water outside of a pump tank. You should probably discuss it with an architect or structural engineer if it's going to be something bigger.
Assuming you'll be using the liner as a backer for a layer of standard floor tile and cement just like building a custom shower floor, you'd basically be building a standard floor section plus a membrane liner which weighs practically nothing as far as a structure is concerned. At that point, you can probably follow your standard span charts, or double up your joists if you feel worried. Just keep in mind that the liner is doing the work of waterproofing the structure, so the cement doesn't need to be unusually thick.
>>
>>2380331
> Drywall
I considered this but drywall needs additional finish like plaster (what you call drywall I think are these gypsum cardboard plates with rounded edges like pic related right), which I’m afraid will get damaged as soon as I put a bike or something against the wall. Need more of a garage kind of wall but just with an insulation layer behind it.
>>
File: What is this called.png (7 KB, 200x700)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
What is this type of wood called? I would call it a "rounded, y'know, on the sides, fence-post." I'm an idiot, of course. I asked my mother (my landlord) because I need to rebuild my porch and I wanted to use these types of posts for the legs, and she called them, weirdly, "landscaping posts," and I don't think that's roight. Anyway, she told me to just get 6x6s or 8x8s but I had already set on these. Before I can source them, I need to know what to call them.
>>
>>2380404
Those are called landscaping timbers.
>>
>>2380409
Thanks. I'll look into it right away.
>>
Is there a small engine general anywhere or on another board or something? Thanks
>>
File: file.png (20 KB, 555x479)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
>>2380315
sorry i understand now, so its basically something like this under my basement floor?
>>
>>2380307
I know I was trying to figure out where the aggregates go because they are not visible in finished concrete. It turns out you push them down with a bull float before it hardens. What size and breed of bull is suitable for this task?
>>
>>2380595
I've seen builders use anything from Fengs recently imported from China to Raramuri Criollo recently imported from Mexico to Cape Buffalos grown in the south side of Chicago (they were imported almost a couple hundred years ago).
>>
>>2379928
yea i am interested. At my job theres such a labor shortage i talked myself into a promotion so im doing stuff that i have to learn on the fly. I got my epa but about everything else i know has been from youtube or what i can figure out on my own. Small residential split systems, so nothing too difficult, but still a little stressful to be winging it whole on a timer
>>
File: 20220508_171950.jpg (3.09 MB, 4128x3096)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
Any CNC Anons here? Trying to sell this servo drive for what I think are CNC machines, its pretty old and outdated tho. I had an ewaste pickup at a tool and die shop and they got rid of this Kollmorgen ServoStar SC1R10300. I don't know if it works, I should've asked the guy there but I didn't see this drive in the boxes so too late. Even if it doesn't work is it good for parts / repair? The enclosure has no screws so it seems someone might have messed with it but nothing appeared missing on the inside.

On ebay working models from the servostar series are going used for 500 to like 2k. Can I sell something like this for parts? If I can, anyone know a good price? 50 bucks? 100 bucks?

https://www.artisantg.com/info/Kollmorgen_ServostarSC_Manual.pdf
^^here's a link to a manual of models of this series.
>>
If there's a little round wasp nest on an eave that's only like peach sized (bigger than a gold ball, smaller than a baseball) and I don't see wasps near it, should I just whack it with a stick and knock it under my porch?
>>
>>2380660
here you go fren:
mega.nz/file/S4FjxRpa#rIPHJbYDFZ93kU_ftxq2CFwDNHXB6EePSRNsgxD7SLA

It's an epub, rather than a pdf (an e-reader format)
The book is fantastic for helping you understand the actual hands-on of the various common repair and service procedures for residential systems. I installed several split systems for family and friends using mostly this book, occasional looks at his videos covering the same materials, and some shitty tools and gear from amazon. I highly recommend it
>>
>>2373194
Ayy OP it looking at mushroom growing vids
>>
>>2380723
If any worries, spray it with some wasp killer first. It’s probably old, wasps seem to go hard late summer.
>>
>>2380836
>If any worries, spray it with some wasp killer first

a wasp nest with no wasps on it has long been abandoned. they don't all fly off, ever, until it's done.
>>
File: IMG_20220508_163855.jpg (3.58 MB, 4608x3456)
3.58 MB
3.58 MB JPG
I have these hot and cold pipes going up to a sink. the retards who installed it placed a tee/wye on the hot line inside a wall which then goes to the ice maker / water dispenser on my fridge. I'm thinking about just cutting the copper pipes down here and swapping them using pex so I don't have to cut into the walls upstairs. is this a stupid plan? I figure I just need a couple pieces of pex, some sharkbite connectors, and some kind of pipe cutter. what else am I missing?
>>
>>2381159
that's the way it is supposed to be; hot water freezes faster than cold water.
>>
>>2373980
Bullshit. Everything here in the UK is listed in sqm.
>>
>>2381162
hilarious. see pic >>2381161
I'm hoping something like pic rel would be enough to cut copper and pex
>>
>>2381161
You can heat up and de-solder entire fitting, and then solder another fitting on it.
I did on gas line (this is old work, when 50/50 solder was allowed on gas, nowadays it will be brazed so it will be harder to do), no problem.
If you use enough flux, it will be just as good as normal copper connection and will not leak.
>>2381165
Mini cutters are handy, but they aren't as nice as full sized cutter.
PEX is cut with special scissors, not cutter like on your pic.
Cutter on your pic can cut aluminum, copper, thin steel (like EMT if you try hard enough), PVC, PP-R... Not PE-RT or PEX because those are too flexible.
>>
What is the worse that can happen from having a mold inspector look at mold in an attic?
I bought a house recently and there's dark staining on the attic's sheathing, so there's obviously mold. I'm fixing the ventilation issues but my wife is insisting on having a mold inspector tell me that mold is indeed mold.
>>
>>2380841
>>2380836
I'm gonna spray it. I found a second one on the other side of the house but I only just moved in so I might have missed it.
I've seen 1 wasp and I killed it (it was trying to make a nest by my deck) so I don't know if these are just lazy underachievers with tiny old nests or this is just them starting for the year. It's been cold and stormy so the fact they aren't out doesn't reassure me.
>>
>>2381309
update: first nest was full of dead wasps and fell apart, second nest I didn't spray because a huge spider came out of it just before I was gonna spray so I'm gonna let him move in since he's paying rent and killing baddies
>>
>>2381304
Damnit boy didn't you watch the king of the hill episode with the mold inspector?
>>
I have a screw that is loose but won’t come out or go deeper in, it just spins endlessly in either direction. I tried using pliers and even lube but I’m not having any luck. Any advice? It’s part of a metal desk so I can’t really drill around it
>>
File: 1634804952659.gif (20 KB, 112x112)
20 KB
20 KB GIF
>>2381351
Never mind I got it
>>
>>2381304
If they really want to fuck you up they could condemn the house.
>>
>>2380751
thanks bud. Ive completely been winging and been successful so far, but i have a replacement next week. Ive honestly never seen a technician or coworker recover refrigerants properly, so i cant even watch and just memorize the steps lol. Everyone figures the ozone is back so whats the harm
>>
File: file.png (871 KB, 1990x1132)
871 KB
871 KB PNG
so I'm looking at making an L-shaped desk, dimensions are 2100mmx900mm on the screen side, 2100mmx550mm on the shelf side. what I want to know is, whats the best way to make the join between the two pieces of wood (shown in the pic where that black line is)? please ignore the legs in the image they aren't final, I will be putting a cross-brace between them

part of the reason for the sizes is I can get a countertop in 2100mmx900mm and it's close enough to my desired size (2000mmx800mm) that I figure I'll just use that to minimize offcuts.

on a previous L desk I just used like dowel rods (technically biscuits, I think they are called - rectangular slices of ply) between them and a lot of construction glue, but it was my first time doing something like that and it has now (5 years later) sort of fallen appart. Should I try some kind of dovetail running horizontally across the edge?
>>
File: file.png (174 KB, 954x480)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>2381452
sorry dovetail isn't exactly what I meant, I was thinking something more like this. Is this a good idea? any better suggestions? Am I explaining this well enough? I don't regularly browse here, and my DIY experience is very limited
>>
>>2381457
so like a big tongue and groove?
>>
File: file.png (467 KB, 1609x955)
467 KB
467 KB PNG
>>2381458
yeah, do you think that would work here? There aren't any feet attached to that side of the L, only on the very end, so I'm just worried about how well supported the join is going to be
>>
Any way to fix the burn mark on this table? I found it outside and really like the table but this little mark triggers me hard. It doesn’t look so bad this is just a reflection of the lightning in the camera. Still…
>>
>>2379588
>~5000 kelvin white light
not unless the RGB panel actually includes "white" LEDs as welll; otherwise you would be still able to see the individual colors and the light would not "look white" at all
and 5000K is too cold for normal living room conditions, it's more like for a workshop or a lab
>>
My ratchet socket won't reset to the opposite direction when I crank it whats wrong
>>
whats the best entry-level 3d printer for someone with pretty much 0 experience in the subject? I don't mind putting it together as long as theres good instructions and theres a good cost savings, but a pre-built one would be preferred
>>
>>2380252
I use a rag soaked in gasoline to degrease. Enough sense not to monk yourself is required tho
>>
How do I install an egress window if the retards who built my house didn't leave enough room for a wooden frame into the concrete? Or do i not need a wooden frame? Would a fuck ton of chaulk hold it in?
>>
>>2381538
Does it still function in one direction or did you totally break the ratcheting tooth off?

>>2381542
Ender 3. Go check 3D Printing General /3dpg/
>>
File: window.png (1.13 MB, 873x518)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
how do i make a window
>>
File: PXL_20220511_011919189.png (1.63 MB, 993x1323)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB PNG
How can I replicate this with a permanent fix? This cable doesn't have an adjustment on it like a bike and now it's too loose to engage the belt to self propel. Thanks
>>
>>2381601
Buy a smaller window?
>>
>>2381180
>Mini cutters are handy, but they aren't as nice as full sized cutter.
man did I learn the hard way. pipes are fixed now, but not after fucking up multiple cuts with the mini cutter. they're still not perfectly round, but I don't see a leak. will 100% opt for a full size cutter if I ever need to do anything like this again
>>
File: feet.jpg (1.81 MB, 2592x1728)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
Do these feet things have a proper name?
>>
I've got some excess residue on my putty knife. Can I just wash it off with warm water and let the paste go down the drain?
>>
File: IMG_20220511_181724.jpg (1.12 MB, 1485x2178)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Should i buy extension or is this ok? Also fuckinng hate connecting water. I am absolut monkey.
>>
>>2382366
Why not an elbow?
>>
>>2382376
Would it be easy to instal or do i have to add weed and teflon stuff. I am terrible at that.
>>
>>2382377
It's >99 cents for a roll of teflon tape and any water or air tight threaded connection should be taped. You wrap it around the male side and screw it in. At worst you'll need a wrench to tighten it and that's about it.
>>
>>2382379
Yeah i know about that i did the one in picture. I did it in 4th try. I suck.
>>
File: 20220430_000320.jpg (55 KB, 576x807)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Is $7300 a good price for a new 2.5 ton AC and high efficiency furnace? Guy can do it next week but I'm still waiting on a quote from another place
>>
>>2382191
If I were to search I would google "elevated desk shelf standoffs"
>>
How do I diy a custom sized trash can?
Under my sink there’s 30cm of height. Standard trash bags have a 60cm opening, so I want a can that’s really close to 30x30x30 to maximise the volume of trash I can put in there, but it’s impossible to find one. I think it needs to be plastic or metal, and sealed so that when the bag leaks nothing leaks out of the can. I can wood work pretty well but have never made things from plastic really. Maybe aluminium? Any ideas?
>>
>>2374213
I hate everything about you.
>>
>>2381785
Find a second hand one that isn't warped and change your bond to work to it's dimensions
>>
File: yugi.png (14 KB, 320x288)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>2379653
>>2379119
Update 2: It's been running for a few days now, and while it *does* pull the moisture out of the air, it doesn't really affect the perceived temperature, even with a fan blowing on me. It seems to me like the best option is just gonna be to have the windows and door open with a screen/mesh for mosquitoes or just sit outside. Oh well, at least I have a dehumidifier now :)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.